New lefty ad: You know who’s not an adulterer? Barack Obama

posted at 2:50 pm on August 15, 2008 by Allahpundit

For once, Tapper’s search for secret subtext has led him to solid ground. Lest you doubt that this is actually a thinly veiled attack on McCain (the Matthew 25 Network is part of Obama’s Christian outreach effort), see the comments here from Kirbyjon Caldwell — a friend of Dubya turned Obama supporter who appears in the ad — and Rick Warren making it abundantly clear that character should count at the ballot box. I agree, but note well the reply in the updates to that last link:

McCain spokesman Brian Rogers has responded to Caldwell’s criticism by saying: “These people are Obama campaign surrogates. These kinds of personal attacks are disgraceful. This absolutely exposes the hypocrisy of Obama’s claim to represent a ‘new kind of politics.’”

A Republican strategist speaking on the condition of anonymity reacted to the Caldwell comments by telling ABC News: “My advice to the Obama people: ‘proceed with extreme caution.’ They don’t want to get into a discussion of character and background. They are opening a door that they will not be able to close. They are putting on the table issues and personalities that they do not want to discuss.”

Have there been any ads yet, aside from one or two of the state parties, about Wright or Bill Ayers? Ah well. We’re already long overdue for a commercial about The One’s soft spot for infanticide so they’re better off countering with that first. A choice for Christian voters: McCain the cheater versus Obama the guy who worries more about limitations on Roe than about doctors providing medical assistance to live-born infants. Remember, character counts.

Exit question: Which opportunistic reversal is more shameless? Democrats suddenly deciding that infidelity is a serious electoral issue or Democrats suddenly deciding that no, on second thought, military experience isn’t essential in a commander-in-chief?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Obama and his new brand of politics have won 2 different offices on the back of his opponents past marital problems. There’s no reason his backers shouldn’t try for a 3rd with the same tactic.

MayBee on August 15, 2008 at 4:57 PM

Who says he hasn’t fooled around? Those kind of grand claims of righteousness can be dangerous to one’s posterior.

JAW on August 15, 2008 at 5:07 PM

If I’d be Jimmy, and married to Rosalynn, I’d have thought about it too.

Entelechy on August 15, 2008 at 4:43 PM

Ummm…I think mebbe you got that backwards….

BigWyo on August 15, 2008 at 5:10 PM

BigWyo on August 15, 2008 at 5:10 PM

That too…

Entelechy on August 15, 2008 at 5:13 PM

I love how the pastor’s wife glares at him accusingly when she says that Obama stood by his own family.

Grafted on August 15, 2008 at 2:56 PM

oh dear

funky chicken on August 15, 2008 at 5:29 PM

I kind of doubt Barry cheated on Michelle- she strikes me as the type who’d rip off his ‘nads and have them bronzed as a trophy if he got caught.

Hollowpoint on August 15, 2008 at 5:30 PM

Cindy Hensley was a lot more attractive American than Bernardine Dohrn and Bill Ayers were. McCain worked quite diligently to establish a relationship with Cindy Hensley. Barack Obama worked quite diligently to establish a relationship with Ayers and Dohrn.

Let the commercials begin!

And the pic of the Obamas. Michelle still looks furious. Is the woman always pissed off? What kind of guy wants to marry a constantly angry woman?

funky chicken on August 15, 2008 at 5:33 PM

This is the Rove/Bush remnant that hasn’t realized that Bush isn’t running against McCain this time around. I think lots of them are terrified that McCain will do a better job than Bush has and thus embarrass W, and are supporting Obama for that reason. I can’t see any other explanation…..aside from the fact that Bush was never very conservative to begin with, so his friends have no ideological basis to support republicans in the future.

funky chicken on August 15, 2008 at 5:38 PM

Hollowpoint on August 15, 2008 at 5:30 PM

Or have Jesse “Cutter” Jackson do the job for her….him being such an ‘expert’ on fidelity himself, and all.

dmh0667 on August 15, 2008 at 5:45 PM

The family that smokes weed and snorts coke together…

The Race Card on August 15, 2008 at 6:16 PM

Evangelicals like Hagee or Parsley who jump out in favor for McCain are hateful, divisive, conservative puppets. But when a liberal evangelical like McClaren actually advertises for Barack, it’s perfectly fine. McClaren’s just setting himself up to be the 21st century Tony Campolo. But, as long as he’s a lib, it’s okay, right?

Pope Linus on August 15, 2008 at 6:46 PM

Whoops. The LORD says that if you even look at a woman with lust, you have already committed adultry with her. I’m guilty and forgiven. How about Hussein? Not guilty?

saved on August 15, 2008 at 7:59 PM

Seems like a really stupid ad. I mean, 1. Nobody figured John Edwards would screw around on a woman dying from cancer and it turned out he did; it’s entirely possible Obama has horsed around and nobody has found out yet. Of course, even if he was hosing the entire Dallas Cowboy cheerleading squad, the media would die before they reported it. 2. Not cheating on your wife is supposed to be the norm. I mean, millions of people don’t cheat on their wives every day. So Barrack gets a medal for doing what many others do? I guess we could do a whole series of commercials on this: Guess who puts the seat down in the master bedroom? BARRACK OBAMA! Guess who doesn’t beat his children with a shovel to discipline them? BARRACK OBAMA! Guess who doesn’t have a fur coat made of Dalmation puppy fur? BARRACK OBAMA! Somebody get this man a trophy..he’s the most perfect human ever seen! God, I hate this ***king election year.

austinnelly on August 15, 2008 at 10:03 PM

“Barack is a strong man of Christian faith…” Pastor Kirbyjon Caldwel

Yea, Barack just supports abortion all the way to nine months and if the child survives his for killing that too.

He supports Homosexual marriage which is contrary to the O.T. & N.T.

His theology consists mainly Marxism mixed with some Christianity.

Yea, other then that I suppose he is.

Irenaeus on August 16, 2008 at 2:02 AM

I want Barack to have all sorts of time to spend with his family.

He won’t have that in the White House.

He will have that in his do-nothing job in the Senate. An Irish Setter could do his job there and no one would recognize the difference.

NoDonkey on August 16, 2008 at 8:52 AM

Two things: 1. I’d like for these “theologians” and “pastors” to show me in Scripture how Obama is a good leader, husband, and model of a man for Christian families.
2. Since these folks, like so many “Christian” leaders, fail to use Scripture as their measuring tool, I will. This group invokes Matthew 25 (I’m assuming the part where it speaks of Jesus sitting on the thrown of judgment and He was every stranger whom we chose to help or not. Perhaps they should also reflect on the rest of the chapter, but I digress.) How about Matthew 7 where Jesus describes how one will know if someone is one of His:
“Beware of the false prophets, who come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly are ravenous wolves. You will know them by their fruits. Grapes are not gathered from thorn bushes nor figs from thistles, are they? So every good tree bears good fruit, but the bad tree bears bad fruit. A good tree cannot produce bad fruit, nor can a bad tree produce good fruit. Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. So then, you will know them by their fruits. Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father who is in heaven will enter. Many will say to Me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your name, and in Your name cast out demons, and in Your name perform many miracles?’ And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from me, you who practice lawlessness.’” Considering Obama’s views of human life, socialism (compared to the Bible saying, “If a man will not work, he shall not eat.”), his views of homosexuality (as opposed to 1 Corinthians 6:9 and others), saying that Jesus isn’t the only way (as opposed to John 14:6, Acts 4:12, and others), I think I know where Obama stands based upon his fruits.

Send_Me on August 16, 2008 at 12:46 PM