New Beijing Olympics event: The Journalist Throw

posted at 12:45 pm on August 15, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

The Olympics movement may never recover from their toadying to the oppressive Chinese government, thanks to Beijing’s predictably authoritarian response to reporters covering protests.  Both ITV and the Guardian have footage of Chinese police manhandling Western reporters covering a peaceful Free Tibet protest.  USA Today’s On Deadline reports on the weak response from the IOC:

John Ray, a correspondent for ITN, says he was “bundled away, pushed to the floor and pinned down” before being “manhandled into the back of a police van.” …

“They are claiming I tried to unfurl a Tibet banner. I did not at any time try to unfurl a banner and I have never possessed any banner or protest material. I was there simply to report on a demonstration, not to take part in it in any way,” he tells The Guardian.

When pressed for comment, the IOC — which claimed that the international press would have freedom to report on all events in China — did not even bother to commit to action over the incidents:

“The IOC does disapprove of any attempts to hinder a journalist who is going about or doing his job seemingly within the rules and regulation,” IOC spokeswoman Giselle Davies tells reporters, according to AFP. “We do not want to see it happening again.”

Well, don’t break a sweat or anything, IOC.  Glad you disapprove of arresting journalists for doing their jobs.  Any plans to take action to go with that disapproval?  Apparently not.  The IOC finds themselves in the position of defending Beijing in order to defend their decision to hold the games in China.  A few broken heads won’t move them to admit they made a terrible blunder.

Comments

Stunned. Stunned, I am! I’m about to faint with the shock to my system upon hearing that China, glorious, beautiful China, Home to Mao and his great leap forward, home to the last great bastion of Communism (O Wondrous system!) would dare stoop to not letting a journalist do their job!

Don’t they know that journalists dream of communism at night anyway? Why rough up those on your side?

/end sarcasm.

Smart move, IOC. Did they do this in Moscow? Defend the regime, I mean. And did they ever defend the US?

Vanceone on August 15, 2008 at 12:48 PM

I hope this video gets a hundred million views.

RushBaby on August 15, 2008 at 12:49 PM

Funny Ed how you suddenly become a fan of journalists when they’re being harrassed by Chinese authorities. And does buying cheap crap at Wal-Mart count as “toadying to the oppressive Chinese government”?

Grow Fins on August 15, 2008 at 12:49 PM

The IOC like the UN has become nothing more than an anti-western (American)organization. Time for the US to seriously consider ending any future Olympic participation.

dmann on August 15, 2008 at 12:49 PM

Can we please ship Dan Rather and Sean Penn over to China? Now?

john1schn on August 15, 2008 at 12:50 PM

Most of the people who run the IOC only wish that they could run their countries the way the Chinese rulers do China.

MarkTheGreat on August 15, 2008 at 12:50 PM

And did they ever defend the US?

Of course not. They condemned the US for allowing crass commercialism to spoil their pristine games.

MarkTheGreat on August 15, 2008 at 12:51 PM

Grow Fins a clue on August 15, 2008 at 12:49 PM

dmann on August 15, 2008 at 12:52 PM

The IOC just held a press conference: the 2012 Summer Olympics will now be held in North Korea rather than England.

Bishop on August 15, 2008 at 12:52 PM

The Guardian is further left than Pravda or Xinhua. Just a family squabble among Warsaw Pact members.

JiangxiDad on August 15, 2008 at 12:54 PM

I’m not a believer but I was offended by the Chinese not allowing chaplains into the Olympic Village. If they are so afraid of chaplain cooties infecting the chinese athletes, maybe it is the chinese athletes who should be kicked out of the Olympic Village?

Blake on August 15, 2008 at 12:55 PM

What did the scorpion say to the frog he stung while swimming him across the river? “It’s my nature.”

Anyone not think that the Chinese Communists are nothing but American liberals without the tatters of the Constitution to restrain their worst impulses?

This is just the Fairness Doctrine with egg roll.

Akzed on August 15, 2008 at 12:55 PM

Grow Fins on August 15, 2008 at 12:49 PM

If the journalist had been protesting alongside the protesters, I’d say that the ChiComs were somewhat justified, even though I don’t agree with them. The fact that he was simply reporting (which was obvious if the idiots had only been watching for a few moments) should have told them “hands off.”

john1schn on August 15, 2008 at 12:56 PM

This is just the Fairness Doctrine with egg roll.

Akzed on August 15, 2008 at 12:55 PM

Now, that there’s funny!

john1schn on August 15, 2008 at 12:57 PM

So short of some journalist winding up getting shot and killed, exactly what is it going to take to convince the IOC to stop this pandering garbage and stop holding the Games in oppressive dictatorship countries like COMMUNIST China?!!!!

pilamaye on August 15, 2008 at 12:57 PM

Funny Ed how you suddenly become a fan of journalists when they’re being harassed by Chinese authorities.

Are you saying that Ed has no right no talk journalists being manhandled in China because he can be occasionally points out some bad reporting?

terryannonline on August 15, 2008 at 12:58 PM

Response from the Chinese government: “Awwww. It OK. You no rike? You go home. You remember Tiananmen Square? We not saying we hurt you. But you never know!”

/I wish it was sarcasm.

See any comparisons to this and the Fairness Doctrine?

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on August 15, 2008 at 12:59 PM

Grow Fins a clue on August 15, 2008 at 12:49 PM
dmann on August 15, 2008 at 12:52 PM

Agreed.

wise_man on August 15, 2008 at 12:59 PM

Another hit on the “Bent-Ring Olympics”

KCSteve on August 15, 2008 at 1:01 PM

That’s a really idiotic statement, as though Ed himself has no ties to journalists and only says horrible things about them until something happens, under the enemy of my enemy rule.

Esthier on August 15, 2008 at 1:01 PM

Russians shooting at reporters in Georgia and the Chinese manhandling them in Beijing – - seems like old times.

Rick on August 15, 2008 at 1:03 PM

And wile that journalist was released 15 minutes later, I can only pray that that woman who gave the emotional reaction ‘because of these westerners here’ wasn’t also picked up. Because she would have “gone missing” for a lot longer.

wise_man on August 15, 2008 at 1:03 PM

I was thinking the same thing. Ed’s hysterical, frothing, crazy-eyed anti-Chinese bias is so obvious in every single thread he writes, I’m surprised he hasn’t advocated that we nuke China off the map and hunt down the survivors for enslavement.

Bishop on August 15, 2008 at 1:04 PM

Yep, let’s all cheer when a journalist is being hassled by the Chinese for doing their job. Hooray!!!! Sorry, motek, we’re pissed that they are treating journalists like this when they are doing their jobs properly.

mjk on August 15, 2008 at 1:04 PM

Grow Fins a clue on August 15, 2008 at 12:49 PM
dmann on August 15, 2008 at 12:52 PM
Agreed.

wise_man on August 15, 2008 at 12:59 PM

You guys are just too passive. Hoping the idiot ‘grow’ into something resemble intelligence.

Me? I take out a ‘clue bat’.

/Just following the Zen thing. Zen masters are known to liberally apply ‘clue bat’ when necessary.

Sir Napsalot on August 15, 2008 at 1:04 PM

While being blown by the West’s MSM. Like old times, indeed.

andycanuck on August 15, 2008 at 1:05 PM

I’m not willing to die for Georgia or Poland.

Do crazy posters get today off of work? Wow. I didn’t get that memo.

mjk on August 15, 2008 at 1:06 PM

Bishop on August 15, 2008 at 1:04 PM

Only after Ed takes out all the journalists execution style.

Rick on August 15, 2008 at 1:07 PM

mjk on August 15, 2008 at 1:06 PM

It’s not just fridays, unfortunately.

wise_man on August 15, 2008 at 1:08 PM

Bishop on August 15, 2008 at 1:04 PM

What are you smoking?

Actually what are you eating? Jesus Dude, put Nancy’s leg down, you don’t know whre that thing has been or if it has been lipo-ed! Ugh and Soy sauce is NOT going to make it taste better.

upinak on August 15, 2008 at 1:11 PM

Do crazy posters get today off of work? Wow. I didn’t get that memo.

mjk on August 15, 2008 at 1:06 PM

What liberals have a job?

Speaking of that bbl.

upinak on August 15, 2008 at 1:11 PM

This is actually an interesting over at the NYTimes http://olympics.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/08/14/things-get-testy-at-olympic-news-conference/#more-502

It is a blog entry about yesterday’s press conference with the IOC and BOGOC. But what’s even more interesting are the comments defending china’s behavior and the castigation of the reporters. Methinks the chinese apologists are out in force…

rbb on August 15, 2008 at 1:12 PM

mjk on August 15, 2008 at 1:06 PM

wise_man on August 15, 2008 at 1:08 PM

upinak on August 15, 2008 at 1:11 PM

I thought Bishop was being sarcastic.

Rick on August 15, 2008 at 1:13 PM

Funny that the Chinese, Russians and the rest of our enemies have such bad manners, but it’s OK. They’re just all tired of Bush, and getting cranky. Bush just brings out the worse in everyone.

It’s not like these countries have no respect for human life or the rights of others…

Hening on August 15, 2008 at 1:14 PM

Bishop on August 15, 2008 at 1:04 PM

Anti Chinese bias? Reporting on what the Chinese actually do is not bias. Ignoring things that they do to make this a nice happy wonderful Olympics, like NBC and the IOC are doing is pro-Chinese bias. Would you rather Ed took a neutral stance on the issue of the murdering, genocidal regime?

That being said, the little Eric Cartman inside me really doesn’t mind seeing the “FREE TIBET” poster get torn up.

jimmy the notable on August 15, 2008 at 1:14 PM

I thought Bishop was being sarcastic.
Rick on August 15, 2008 at 1:13 PM

If this is the case than mea culpa. Sometimes it’s hard to tell.

wise_man on August 15, 2008 at 1:15 PM

Hening on August 15, 2008 at 1:14 PM

are you being sarcastic? I can’t tell.

upinak on August 15, 2008 at 1:15 PM

Hening on August 15, 2008 at 1:14 PM

Uh-oh! Now I need a ruling on this one. My scaracsmo-meter is not working this morning.

wise_man on August 15, 2008 at 1:16 PM

I think Hening was definitely being sarcastic.

jimmy the notable on August 15, 2008 at 1:18 PM

The chinese sarcasm judges are showing me one set of cards and the western judges are displaying the others.

Please – Halp!

If only there was a sign to tell someone’s comments as sarcastic. Such as:

OMG! Bias against the chinese! You Bush lovers! The chinese are the injured party here! OMG!/

wise_man on August 15, 2008 at 1:20 PM

“Chinese police manhandling Western reporters” – the more I think about the word “manhandling”, the more it grows to fill my mind.

Personhandling?

Apeking on August 15, 2008 at 1:21 PM

Hening on August 15, 2008 at 1:14 PM

That’s what liberals I know say whenever something crazy happens in the world – - it’s Bush’s fault because he’s screwed things up so bad all over the world. It couldn’t possibly be some other world leader’s fault – - there’s just no way.

Rick on August 15, 2008 at 1:22 PM

wise_man on August 15, 2008 at 1:15 PM

Yeah, it is hard to tell.

Rick on August 15, 2008 at 1:26 PM

Ok, for those who get easily upset, I was being sarcastic. You can breath easy now.

Bishop on August 15, 2008 at 1:33 PM

Maybe a

/sarcasm

tag would be in order for these times…

john1schn on August 15, 2008 at 1:38 PM

Bishop on August 15, 2008 at 1:33 PM

I didn’t say anything, but I’ll admit that I couldn’t tell. Sarcasm online is difficult. We really need those visual and auditory clues.

Esthier on August 15, 2008 at 1:39 PM

john1schn on August 15, 2008 at 1:38 PM

There you go.

“/sarcasm” = MULTIPASS!

wise_man on August 15, 2008 at 1:40 PM

nuke China off the map and hunt down the survivors for enslavement.

I second the motion. when can we have NanzyP schedule a vote on it in the House?

GeneSmith on August 15, 2008 at 1:41 PM

HA!

The IOC and the UN are cut from the same cloth. BLAH BLAH BLAH … strings of hollow words and do nothing.

And many people gave me hell on other threads when I spoke of Boycotting the Olympics and Boycotting China and Boycotting products in America with China labels.

THAT IS WHY! Among a plethora of other reasons.

China is making Democratic countries, freedom, and democracy its lap dog, and sooo many Democratic freedom loving countries and their people seem to be just a-okay with that. The IOC was played by China like a cheap violin. And the IOC always was, and still is, China’s massive propaganda tool of the 21st century. It’s pathetic.

STAND UP AND BE COUNTED! Don’t be a fool! Boycott the Olympics! Boycott China Labels!

SilverStar830 on August 15, 2008 at 1:52 PM

Ugh…it was the Georgians shooting at that CNN reporter…

DfDeportation on August 15, 2008 at 1:53 PM

Wait until you see the videos of DNC/Union thugs manhandling FoxNews reporters at RatFest08!

GeneSmith on August 15, 2008 at 1:53 PM

Anyway, that’s how the Illegal Alien chuntes and their supporters should be rounded up.

DfDeportation on August 15, 2008 at 1:53 PM

Has anybody noticed the obsessive coverage and commercials from the Communist Chinese Olympics? What a load of crap!!!

DfDeportation on August 15, 2008 at 1:55 PM

Screw it. Give ‘em the winter olympics too.

Damn nosey foreign press!

wildweasel on August 15, 2008 at 1:56 PM

The big question I have is why didn’t the Chinese police confiscate the camera’s and destroy them? I’m not trying to defend them. But the question begs to be answered. I saw no night sticks come out. No blood. Well maybe I am trying to defend them a bit.
However, I’m glad that the obnoxious reporter did his job. It was good practice for the Chinese authorities. And it allowed them to see that these sorts of protests are largely ignored and that it is “best” to simply allow them to continue until the protesters get tired or hungry and go away.
I’m one who beieves that freedom has taken hold in China and now that Pandora’s box has been opened, well its just a matter of a decade or so before it really begins to blossum. We’re seeing some of the growing pains. I was encouraged by the video. DD

Darvin Dowdy on August 15, 2008 at 1:56 PM

Glad you disapprove of arresting journalists for doing their jobs.

Does that include emplyees of the ny times, chris matthews and keith uberwoman?

peacenprosperity on August 15, 2008 at 2:00 PM

The Chinese lied and told the IOC that the reporter was carrying an authorized set of five circles, and so the IOC said it was ok to a$$ rape him.

pedestrian on August 15, 2008 at 2:08 PM

DfDeportation on August 15, 2008 at 1:55 PM

I haven’t watched any of the Olympics at all. I had been hoping earlier on that this would help open China up, but it seems to me that the whole thing has been an abject failure.

Connie on August 15, 2008 at 2:13 PM

This is why I’m not watching ANY of the Olympics. The Chinese ChiComs are brutal bastards,their country is nothing but a gulag and the IOC are compliant, greedy bureaucrats.

MCPO Airdale on August 15, 2008 at 2:18 PM

I really don’t give a damn what the Chinese do. I want to enjoy the olympics. I think that using the olympics to score cheap political points insults all the athletes who have spent years of their lives training for this moment.

If i’m honest with myself, i will tell you that i don’t really care what they do to those protesters. They are trying to take away from the hardwork of thousands of people, and I think it is quite selfish.

Chudi on August 15, 2008 at 2:33 PM

Grow Fins assumes that if you disagree with someone, then you should also want to physically assault them or at the very least condone it when someone else does so. I.e. he is projecting left-wing behaviour pattern onto us conservatives.

Aylios on August 15, 2008 at 2:35 PM

This is how civilized countries deal with reporters.

dave742 on August 15, 2008 at 2:49 PM

That is absolutely “spot on” as the Brits say. The same applies to the servile media, most especially the shameless hacks at NBC, who have been so over the top in their praise of all things ChiCom.

Also, the IOC is made up of bland, metrosexual bureaucrats who are not going to do anything to call attention to themselves and thereby potentially endanger the paychecks they receive for log-rolling on various committees and boards. They’re in it to be part of a hive and get money and security; they’re not in it to “make a difference” for journalists or anybody else.

Django on August 15, 2008 at 2:50 PM

Connie on August 15, 2008 at 2:13 PM

I worked for a large international investment firm in the ’80′s. The story back then was that the huge amounts of money to be made off of industrializing and growing China were the fruits of a great altruism that was helping China reform itself into a democracy. It was self serving BS then and it’s self serving BS now. It’s about making as much moeny as possible as quickly as possible. If you can put a yankee doodle dandy spin on it, so much the better.

Django on August 15, 2008 at 2:59 PM

Chigga please.

The Race Card on August 15, 2008 at 3:27 PM

SilverStar830 on August 15, 2008 at 1:52 PM

I would love to boycott China Labels, but how the heck do you do it???! Every bloody thing is made there!

4shoes on August 15, 2008 at 3:35 PM

I am ashamed to admit that in that dark soul at the bottom of my heart I love to see any journalist anywhere get whacked once in awhile.

[hangs head in hypocritical sorrow icon]

E9RET on August 15, 2008 at 4:00 PM

Bishop on August 15, 2008 at 1:04 PM

Your hysterical, frothing, crazy-eyed pro-Chinese bias is so obvious.

jgapinoy on August 15, 2008 at 4:02 PM

Bishop on August 15, 2008 at 1:04 PM

I thought the only people who approve of the ChiComs were the ignorant. You’re here, so I guess you’re not ignorant. Are you evil or insane?

jgapinoy on August 15, 2008 at 4:04 PM

It’s a darn good thing that NBC doesn’t have any journalists working for them, or this could get embarrassing.

Glad you disapprove of arresting journalists for doing their jobs.

Does that include emplyees of the ny times, chris matthews and keith uberwoman?

peacenprosperity on August 15, 2008 at 2:00 PM

No, they specifically said “journalists,” not DNC spokes-puppets.

rmgraha on August 15, 2008 at 5:03 PM

Yes, but the opening ceremonies were breathtaking and we shouldn’t let a few human rights violations stand in the way of our enjoyment. (pure and complete and unadulterated as well as unapologetic sarcasm intended).

Glynn on August 15, 2008 at 5:07 PM

Chudi on August 15, 2008 at 2:33 PM

I suppose you considered Munich a cheap political point as well. Politics has always been deeply intermixed with the Olympics. The very sites chosen are political. Well, try not to think about those Tibetans. Or the 500,000 in the gulags in China. Let’s not spoil the fun.

Glynn on August 15, 2008 at 5:15 PM

The IOC is as worthless as the UN.

becki51758 on August 15, 2008 at 5:41 PM

I don’t see a problem here..

The Chicomms are a totalitarian regime. They sell the organs of dessidents and enforce a one child policy.

And you expect them to support free speech and freedom of the press.

For Pete’s Sake!

TheSitRep on August 22, 2008 at 12:58 PM

No country or individual athlete that values freedom should have went the Beijing in the first place.

By going there we validate them.

TheSitRep on August 22, 2008 at 1:01 PM