Huckabee: You know who probably shouldn’t be VP? Mitt Romney

posted at 3:45 pm on August 14, 2008 by Allahpundit

Quoth the Huck, “I’ve never said that I thought that Mitt Romney’s personal religion ought to have a thing to do with whether he should be elected.” Some might dispute that, coming as it does from a guy who pointedly touted himself as a “Christian leader,” but I gave him the benefit of the doubt on the infamous “Jesus and Satan” comment so you’ll have to go it alone. His concern about Romney, he says, is the fact that he’s a flip-flopper, a fair criticism but one which seems a tad exaggerated given his effusive praise later in the segment for pro-choice Tom Ridge. It sounds like he prefers the latter to the former, which, if true, would mean he’s more comfortable with a guy who overtly supports abortion than a guy who used to but has now (allegedly) seen the light. Strange.

Anyway. I love posting Huck clips just because he’s the one Republican our commenters are harder on than I am myself, but if you’re eager for an actual news hook, read Jonathan Martin’s report of the meeting between Team McCain’s social-con outreach director and Huck’s supporters in Michigan. The race for 2012 is already on. Exit quotation: “Privately, though, Romney’s loyalists continue to loathe Huckabee at levels that approach the earlier disdain between Obama and Clinton camps.”

Link: sevenload.com

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

SaintOlaf…I think you have some great ideas that I agree with

Mormon Doc on August 14, 2008 at 9:02 PM

Wow. Never thought I’d read that on Hot Air.

sulla on August 14, 2008 at 9:11 PM

huckster is a dirtbag. Probably on the clinton payroll.

peacenprosperity on August 14, 2008 at 9:13 PM

Huck is trying to be the Sharpton of the religious right and I think it is fertile ground for him. And if I learned one thing, people who are zealous in their belief in fables hate when people have different or even slight different beliefs in other fables and they hate it when the people who believe in those other fables seem to have more self control and happiness than their hateful selves so they will give money to people who look and act like Darwin’s best example.

LevStrauss on August 14, 2008 at 9:16 PM

Hey guys, is this the I heart Huckabee thread?
I like Huck and I like Mitt.
I like Fred but I don’t like…
Obama.
McCain needs to pick the VP that will bolster his votes. As Dick Morris says, I don’t want a principled ticket in a losing election.
I know that is controversial, but when facing at least four years of Obama, we need to accept that.
I would have loved Fred to have been the nominee.
He lost.
I would have loved Mitt to have been the nominee.
He lost.
McCain won the nomination and now he has to select someone who can allow his votes to climb enough to be Barack.
Ridge would be a mistake.
Lieberman, although I love him, would be a mistake.

I disagree with Huck on this, I think Romney may be our best VP choice.

carbon_footprint on August 14, 2008 at 9:20 PM

s/b BEAT Barack.

carbon_footprint on August 14, 2008 at 9:21 PM

Should clarify, choosing Mitt would be controversial to SOME Evangelicals based upon his religion. I am an Evangelical and I have nothing but respect and admiration for Mormon people. They have strict ethics and live very healthy and enriched lives.
I really think those on the right who may have problems with Mormonism need to wake up. We are not elected a pastor, we are electing a president. Mitt Romney has great character. That is more than enough.

carbon_footprint on August 14, 2008 at 9:24 PM

Huckabee is a living example of the progressive infiltration into the Republican Party. Huckabee’s going to be the convention keynote speaker on class envy at the convention. He’ll then hold a squirrel-pop demonstration at the tailgate in the back lot. Get your lard and poppers ready, the pied piper of progressive pricks is here to lead us to the promised land.

Cold Steel on August 14, 2008 at 9:25 PM

carbon_footprint on August 14, 2008 at 9:24 PM

Well said. If Mitt Romney were a Baptist the Evangelicals would have tossed Huckabee off a cliff by now.

EJDolbow on August 14, 2008 at 9:33 PM

Hey Huckabee (aka Gomer Pyle) – STFU and take care of that criminal son of yours.

Hilts on August 14, 2008 at 9:34 PM

EJDolbow on August 14, 2008 at 9:33 PM

Wrong.

If Romney were a Baptist he would have still been under the bus.

You may remember that Mike Huckabee was NEVER a pro abortions Governor who legislated $50 abortion and had a conversion on the issue at the age of 60, just in time to run for president…

SaintOlaf on August 14, 2008 at 9:41 PM

SaintOlaf on August 14, 2008 at 9:41 PM

Good to see you’re the arbiter of conscience. Does your mind-reading ability transcend politics? Newsflash St Loaf….. the primaries are over. You don’t have to incessantly regurgitate talking points. Unless you’re truly worried that Mitt will be Veep. See with Huck, us crazy Mormons don’t have to worry about a Huckabee VP. We’re smart enough to know that the ex-Gov of Arkansas has already spent his political capital. He needs to drop the pretense and run as a populist. It’ll help with his followers, because money making is so damn corrupt and un-compassionate.

Cold Steel on August 14, 2008 at 9:51 PM

SaintOlaf on August 14, 2008 at 9:41 PM

Give it a rest. You have become tiresome.

sulla on August 14, 2008 at 9:52 PM

I know of three people that have something to do with “Hope”. Two from the town and one from another planet. All three make my cat hack up a hairball when he sees them….

CC

CapedConservative on August 14, 2008 at 9:56 PM

And we all know that the best way to treat people who have converted to your side of a debate is to crap all over them on national television.

Slublog on August 14, 2008 at 10:13 PM

And if I learned one thing, people who are zealous in their belief in fables hate when people have different or even slight different beliefs in other fables.

LevStrauss on August 14, 2008 at 9:16 PM

What Freud called the narcissism of small differences.

MB4 on August 14, 2008 at 10:42 PM

Romney and Pawlenty would make decent picks. Lieberman could be argued to appeal to Reagen dems. Huck would deliver his arsonist son and well that is about it. Time to shut the Huck up.

koolbrease on August 14, 2008 at 11:03 PM

What Freud called the narcissism of small differences.

MB4 on August 14, 2008 at 10:42 PM

Huck is the living embodiment of a narcissistic small difference.

Cold Steel on August 14, 2008 at 11:09 PM

Saddam Huckssein, go away please.

The adults are talking. We are thinking about who we want as a VP and we prefer dont to be distracted by any religion haters. You see, one of the people we are considering is a (gasp) Mormon. In fact, one of them is a Jew and we know how you feel about them Christ killers.

Roger Waters on August 14, 2008 at 11:11 PM

Mike Huckabee PUKE!

Charlaton

Narcissistic

Weasel

Despicable

Hack

Panderer

Disengenuous

Michael Steele would be the best VP choice for McCain!

If McCain chooses Steele they will blow Obama away in the general election.

angryamerican on August 14, 2008 at 11:21 PM

Roger Waters on August 14, 2008 at 11:11 PM

Yeah us Repubmicans are too askeert to elect a colored man too. All this fussin’ about his record and whatnot is too hard for me to figur out.

Cold Steel on August 14, 2008 at 11:24 PM

Huckabee … Huckabee … Hmmm. I’ve heard the name before, but I just can’t place it.

argos on August 15, 2008 at 1:02 AM

Looks like Huckabee and Barney Frank make strange bedfellows.

Not that there’s anything wrong with that.

sulla on August 15, 2008 at 4:45 AM

Looks like Huckabee and Barney Frank make strange bedfellows.

If that doesn’t convince conservatives that Romney needs to be the vp, nothing will.

peacenprosperity on August 15, 2008 at 7:19 AM

Just thought I’d stop by to make sure all the mindless Huckabee haters were here. Carry on.

fourstringfuror on August 15, 2008 at 9:58 AM

What is with all the personal insults and hateful rhetoric?It’s not only pathetic, that this is the only way you can relate to other people or get your point across, but it’s shameful and un-godly…. grow up.

SaintOlaf on August 15, 2008 at 10:10 AM

Look I don’t know how to make this point anymore clear than this..but it’s so simple.

If Romney is nominated as VP…Mccain will lose.

End of story.

Huckabee was not wrong in what he was saying, he was simply pointing out the obvious.

Do I really have to link to Huffpo and their article about Romney VP?

Want to see a couple hundred comments of dems BEGGING Mccain to pick Romney to guarantee a decisive dem win in november?

It’s very simple.

Romney as Mccain’s VP nominee = Obama president

SaintOlaf on August 15, 2008 at 10:18 AM

Cold Steel on August 14, 2008 at 9:25 PM

Squirrel-pop demonstration

PrettyD_Vicious on August 15, 2008 at 10:27 AM

I have a long memory and I remember Huckabee and the tag team match in the West Virginia primary and it’s still all about you isn’t it Mike.

diogenes on August 15, 2008 at 11:02 AM

I leave for a summer hiatus, come back and I see the love still flowing for Huck… priceless!

SkinnerVic on August 15, 2008 at 11:48 AM

Let it go Huck. Your sour grapes are showing. Enough already!

sinsing on August 15, 2008 at 1:07 PM

Many of us Christians are concerned about a Huckabee candidacy because he often confuses the role and duties of the individual Christian with those of government, which God ordains to be in a different sphere or different kingdom.

We evangelical Christians find a Huckabee candidacy very troubling .

ColtsFan on August 14, 2008 at 6:11 PM

DING DING DING! Winner!

TheUnrepentantGeek on August 15, 2008 at 1:21 PM

We evangelical Christians I find a Huckabee candidacy very troubling .

ColtsFan on August 14, 2008 at 6:11 PM

That’s more like it.

Tell me which presidential candidate is in favor of I.D. or creationism being taught in schools?

Which candidate is in favor of a human life amendment?

Which candidate is in favor of a defense of marriage amendment?

Mike Huckabee.

That is enough reason to support him.

I’m sorry but you do not speak for all Christians or the hundred million Christian voters in the “fly over” states.

The commentors on this website are assuredly not representative of the “fly over” state voters opinions about Huckabee either..

SaintOlaf on August 15, 2008 at 1:41 PM

Dude – you don’t even speak for the dozens of Christian voters on HotAir.

You are to Huckabee what Tom Cruise is to L. Ron Hubbard.

sulla on August 15, 2008 at 1:57 PM

fourstringfuror on August 15, 2008 at 9:58 AM

We’re into month nine or ten of Huckabee’s – and Huck’s Army’s – daily Two Minute Hate against Romney.

I’ll be happy to shut up once Huckabee does.

sulla on August 15, 2008 at 2:05 PM

What is with all the personal insults and hateful rhetoric?It’s not only pathetic, … but it’s shameful and un-godly…. grow up.

SaintOlaf on August 15, 2008

Pots…kettles…we got us a squirrel fry!

EyeSurgeon on August 15, 2008 at 2:55 PM

SaintOlaf on August 15, 2008 at 1:41 PM

Which Hot Air commenter doesn’t get the difference between the Bible’s opinion individual duties and government duties?

Tough one, I know, but think on it.

PS. They doing Strawberry or Grape this year Cap’n King James?

TheUnrepentantGeek on August 15, 2008 at 4:00 PM

Most people know when they are under attack.

I am a Mormon and many of the things that Huck said about my religion were deliberately offensive.

Evangelical Christians are taught to hate Mormons from an early age. Huck capitalized on that hate in Iowa. He stayed in the race deliberately to split the vote to keep Romney out.

Huck may not have ever said that Romney’s religion would disquallify him for the presidency; however, his actions were screaming it.

The Rock on August 16, 2008 at 12:13 AM

Gone for 6 weeks and it’s the same! Do you think that if we all wrote fox they might get rid of him?
Substitute any religion for Mormonism and you will know what a bigot you are. Then you can guess that anyone of any other religion than huck’s would never get the vote from his followers.
Mormons never have been taught to dislike, hate etc., Evangelicals, or any other religion. Sure we send missionaries out, but I don’t see them using megaphones to shout at your meetings. You can just politely or impolitely (as you wish) tell them you are not interested and they leave.
Huckster is the one who brought all this out. And all of us know what he did and is still doing. I agree that he is so jealous that he has lost all sense, and I have no idea why fox hired him.

Bambi on August 16, 2008 at 12:26 AM

Here we go again, the people on this board who supported a fake conservative who suddenly went from being a liberal Mass. republican to a conservative to run for president to fill the void left by George Allen are bashing a guy who is a real conservative and who actually got people out to vote for him. Romney was a bust as a candidate, and would be a bust as a VP candidate.

arizonateacher on August 16, 2008 at 1:12 AM

Saddam Hucksein is no Christian.

Mitt Romney is a Christian but Huckabee is not a Christian.

By their fruits you shall know them…and Huck’s fruits are sour and hateful and poisonous.

Plus his arsonistic son likes to hang dogs. There just aint something right with them Huckabee boys.

Roger Waters on August 16, 2008 at 1:47 AM

Dude – you don’t even speak for the dozens of Christian voters on HotAir.

You are to Huckabee what Tom Cruise is to L. Ron Hubbard Joseph Goebbels was to Adolf Hitler

sulla on August 15, 2008 at 1:57 PM

MB4 on August 16, 2008 at 3:05 AM

MB4 on August 16, 2008 at 3:05 AM

Made me laugh, but you just triggered Godwin’s Law.

to my fellow Mormons: I’d love to see this not be about religion per se, or about McCrankypants picking Mitt for V.P., but about the smear artist formerly known as Huck. People can argue about religion, but I suspect most would prefer not to because of how quickly it degenerates, and how monotonous and predictable the arguments are. Folks can argue about the VP pick, and this is a perfect venue for that because the field is wide open and everyone has their favorites and their anti-favorites.

on the other hand, “Resolved: Mike Huckabee has revealed himself as a weapons-grade schmuck” would pass on HA by near-unanimous acclamation.

Celebrate what unites us. Join hands with our Evangelical, Catholic, Baptist, Lutheran, et cetera ad infinitum brethren and sisters, and shout with one voice, “oh, for heaven’s sake, Huck – go away!”

I have a dream. Where little Mormon boys and little Baptist girls gather together for laughter, friendship and that delicious summertime perennial, the Bomb Pop, while their parents look on with calm approval. Where we are judged not by the symbols on our scriptures but by the content of our character. I have a dream of a land where good men and women walk the corridors of power, and where Mike Huckabee’s talk show is bumped to late night between RED EYE and the Guthy-Renker infomercials. A land of justice, a land of peace, a land of harmony.

And lots and lots of “Dude” posts.

sulla on August 16, 2008 at 5:00 AM

Huckabee is a prostitute.

revolution on August 16, 2008 at 2:26 PM

Huckabee is a prostitute.

revolution on August 16, 2008 at 2:26 PM

that would explain why he ran such a low-budget campaign…

/rimshot