A pro-choice running mate for McCain?

posted at 10:40 am on August 14, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

Hopefully, members of Team McCain have rushed to remind John McCain that he needs to energize the Republican base to support him, not to oppose him.  In an interview with Stephen Hayes of the Weekly Standard yesterday, John McCain suggested that Republicans might not mind a pro-choice VP, as long as he suppported other portions of the social-conservative agenda.  He intended to draw a contrast between Tom Ridge and Michael Bloomberg, but the comment threatens to draw lines within the GOP instead:

John McCain said that he is open to choosing a pro-choice running mate and named former Pennsylvania governor Tom Ridge as someone who merits serious consideration despite his support for abortion rights. McCain also criticized Barack Obama’s presidential campaign for attempts to “politicize” the debate over Georgia and criticized President Bush for failing to recognize the true nature of Vladimir Putin.

“I think that the pro-life position is one of the important aspects or fundamentals of the Republican Party,” McCain said. “And I also feel that–and I’m not trying to equivocate here–that Americans want us to work together. You know, Tom Ridge is one of the great leaders and he happens to be pro-choice. And I don’t think that that would necessarily rule Tom Ridge out.”

McCain’s comments came in response to a question about comments he made to several reporters during the Republican primary season. During that exchange, McCain was asked whether New York City mayor Michael Bloomberg would make a good running mate. McCain offered strong words of praise for Bloomberg but said that Bloomberg’s position on abortion–he is also pro-choice–would make it difficult to choose him as a vice presidential candidate. …

“I think it’s a fundamental tenet of our party to be pro-life but that does not mean we exclude people from our party that are pro-choice. We just have a–albeit strong–but just it’s a disagreement. And I think Ridge is a great example of that. Far moreso than Bloomberg, because Bloomberg is pro-gay rights, pro, you know, a number of other issues.”

McCain has this exactly backwards.  Abortion is the sine qua non of the social conservative agenda, not gay rights, for a simple reason: abortion kills human life.  In comparison, gay-rights issues stirs passions, but not the kind of line in the sand abortion represents.  Being tough on gays hardly represents a consolation prize to pro-life Republicans, many of whom think the gay issue is already overblown as it is.

Michelle notes the essential problem McCain creates with this odd formula:

Pro-open borders. Pro-global warming hysteria. Might as well go for the trifecta.

Either one believes human life begins at conception or not, and if so, then abortion is an abomination.  McCain has a good track record on this issue as it is, so he obviously believes that human life should not get terminated out of inconvenience.  Why, then, would he propose asking someone who doesn’t believe that to take a position which could put that person in charge of appointing judges to the bench if something tragic happened to McCain while in office?

It looks like a trial balloon to me, a way to show that McCain can get along with everyone in Washington and work across the aisle.  If so, let’s pop that balloon tout suite and quit alienating the base.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

The whole Obama-infanticide thing is pure October gold. Don’t throw it away Maverick!

BadgerHawk on August 14, 2008 at 10:44 AM

McCain has this exactly backwards. Abortion is the sine qua non of the social conservative agenda, not gay rights, for a simple reason: abortion kills human life. In comparison, gay-rights issues stirs passions, but not the kind of line in the sand abortion represents.

You’ve got that exactly right, Ed. This is the thing that would make me abstain from voting, without a doubt.

jimmy the notable on August 14, 2008 at 10:44 AM

Ha ha ha heads would implode under the weight of the hypocrisy.

Dave Rywall on August 14, 2008 at 10:46 AM

If so, let’s pop that balloon tout suite and quit alienating the base.

Hellooo. This is what McCain DOES. It’s what makes him the Maverick – alienating his base to make himself more palatable to the Left. He won’t change now, and why should he?

Redhead Infidel on August 14, 2008 at 10:48 AM

Excellent point. Most people don’t care what you do in your own bedroom, gay or straight. I don’t know a single conservatives for which gay-rights issues is a top priority, and most of the conservatives I know don’t see any problem with respecting someone’s ‘lifestyle choice’ even if they disagree with it.

BadgerHawk on August 14, 2008 at 10:49 AM

Geez, it’s one step forward, two steps back with this guy. McCain, get a frickin’ clue already!

CP on August 14, 2008 at 10:50 AM

Just when his opponent is getting warned to tack right:

Obama should … explain or disavow his vote in the Illinois Legislature against a bill to protect prematurely born babies, including those who were born alive during attempted abortions. His explanations thus far have been unconvincing and troubling (regardless of where you stand on abortion).–KP

Our guy floats a lead balloon. Social Con issues come behind national security, ordered liberty, constitutional integrity, and certain cultural issues to me, but I do consider abortion for convenience/birth control to be murder, and I will never vote for a politician or a ticket who stands for it or attempts to persuade me otherwise.

RushBaby on August 14, 2008 at 10:52 AM

Does McCain want to be POTUS or not?

flyfisher on August 14, 2008 at 10:54 AM

I’ve been suspecting Ridge will be his pick for a long time now. Maybe he won’t pick him if the outrage is ferocious enough.

forest on August 14, 2008 at 10:56 AM

Funny,

I always thought(?) a proposal was different than actually acting on an idea.

franksalterego on August 14, 2008 at 10:57 AM

I’m thinking it might be Liebs

ninjapirate on August 14, 2008 at 10:58 AM

Maybe this is once again, a diversion. McCain wants to see the reaction among the republican base if a pro-abortion (Lieberman, Ridge) were to be a VP. We all know he wants a person he is comfortable and close to.

I say this will split the base in half or more. McCain needs to wise up and choose life. In other words, choose Palin.

Not only is she pro-energy, drilling, and tax-cutting, she is adamantly pro-life.

jencab on August 14, 2008 at 10:59 AM

McCain/Crist….

Yes, I’m STILL sayin’…

JetBoy on August 14, 2008 at 11:00 AM

Redhead Infidel on August 14, 2008 at 10:48 AM

Yep. I’ve been saying this for months. This is what I think of every time someone brings up his ‘lifetime ACU rating of 83′. The one consistent thing about McCain is that there doesn’t seem to be an issue he won’t flip on if suitably motivated. I don’t think it’s so much that he’s a wannabe democrat; I just think he’s evolved into such a politician that he simply does whatever is expedient for whatever goals he has and counts on his history to show that despite the growing number of issues where he sounds like a democrat, he is really the most conservative conservative to ever conservate in the conservatory; and it’s one of the reasons I just don’t trust him.

austinnelly on August 14, 2008 at 11:00 AM

Why does he even have to gauge it? He should know this!

CP on August 14, 2008 at 11:01 AM

jencab on August 14, 2008 at 10:59 AM

Didn’t Palin support the 75% windfall profits tax on Alaskan oil?

Eric Cantor instead. Young conserative with a good record who could help in VA. GOP probably already has Alaska in the box.

Wethal on August 14, 2008 at 11:01 AM

Offtopic

35 Issues, 35 Nights On CBS News

I wrote something on this site that McCain should pick an issue every week and hammer it hard. I have no idea why he doesn’t do that.

ninjapirate on August 14, 2008 at 11:03 AM

WWHD ? What would Huckabee do?
Bring on the Huckster squad.

redrock on August 14, 2008 at 11:04 AM

I’ve watched Lieberman get up in front of a panel of inquisitors and relish the chance to ramp up woman’s right to infanticide.

What a bone headed move. The lesser of two evils, for a change.

Hening on August 14, 2008 at 11:05 AM

Heh.

Weight of Glory on August 14, 2008 at 11:07 AM

Two choices here:

McCain is an idiot, or

It’s his bi-weekly attempt to impress independents (morons)with how moderate he is at heart–part of his Kabuki campaign.

JiangxiDad on August 14, 2008 at 11:09 AM

Folks, the base is going to be with McCain nomatter what. He should just look out for himself.

ninjapirate on August 14, 2008 at 11:11 AM

I don’t see why Republicans would object. I mean, those like myself who have objected to the lackluster history of John McCain were told to shut up and support the party or Obama would win. So I don’t see how you can object to a Pro Life, Pro Open Borders, Pro Punish Success individual as a potential running mate. He’s the best part, even if the individual in question doesn’t get the nod, and I still think it may be Lieberman, then you can bet they’re going to have a high cabinet position.

Nominate a Maverick, and you get an uncontrollable un-influencable Nominee. One who when you object to his policy, will tell you where to stuff it.

Great plan, glad to know this is all we had that could win, which is what Captain Ed’s told us in the past.

Snake307 on August 14, 2008 at 11:12 AM

The ONLY way I will stay home is if McCain picks a pro-abortion running mate.

JustTruth101 on August 14, 2008 at 11:13 AM

RushBaby on August 14, 2008 at 10:52 AM

Ditto!

“Lead balloon.” Apt.

davidk on August 14, 2008 at 11:14 AM

BadgerHawk on August 14, 2008 at 10:44 AM

Rovin on August 14, 2008 at 11:14 AM

ninjapirate on August 14, 2008 at 11:11 AM

I’m not. I’ve voted Republican in every election. My first I voted for H.W. Bush. My second, I voted for H.W. Bush again.

I’m not voting for McCain. I don’t care if Satan himself was the alternative. I don’t care if not voting for McCain meant that the earth would stop spinning on it’s axis, I’m not voting for him. Estimates of five or even ten percent of the traditional Republican Voters will not support him.

The Base is not going to wait in line to vote for John McCain. We didn’t show up and vote Republican in 2006 did we?

Snake307 on August 14, 2008 at 11:15 AM

People seem shocked by this. Has his deep and long running friendship and close alliances with Senator Kennedy already been forgotten? Has his Illegal Immigration Shamnesty shame already been forgotten? Has his considering jumping parties back in 2001 already been forgotten? Has his mention that if John Kerry asked him to be his running mate, McCain would seriously consider it already been forgotten? Has his Conservative ratings Score of 59 out of 100 already been forgotten?

Hell. Even the New York Times has endorsed McCain!

Um, in case you didn’t already know it by now folks, McCain is a R.I.N.O. The Republican candidate isn’t actually, truly, a Republican. This is no revelation of any kind. It’s par-for-the-course for John “RINO” McCain.

For being members of the party of the elephant, there sure are a lot of short memory’s here.

SilverStar830 on August 14, 2008 at 11:16 AM

This is McCain’s election to lose. He could win this election with ease if he only gave some consideration to his base. But not Maverick, he likes going his own way. He won’t get my vote. I won’t vote for Obama either, I’ll simply not vote for either.

If Obama wins… old-well, I don’t care. McCain if elected will vex the party for decades to come. I think I’d rather put up with a bumbling Obama than McCain.

Maxx on August 14, 2008 at 11:18 AM

Of course it’s been forgotten. With McCain they’re praying for a Miracle, that John McCain is a rock ribbed Conservative under his Maverick Moniker.

I won’t vote for him. I object to everything that he’s done to earn that Maverick Moniker. I object to his first Amendment violating McCain Feingold, I object to his amnesty nonsense, and I object to him on so many levels, I’m not going to bother listing them. Not one of my objections is that he’s too conservative. Each of them is that he’s too liberal. What is really insulting is that these McCainiac’s are trying to redefine what Conservative means to hopefully fool the people into supporting McCain.

I honestly believe the biggest mistake this nation could ever make, now or at any time, is to elect McCain.

Snake307 on August 14, 2008 at 11:21 AM

Snake307 on August 14, 2008 at 11:21 AM

Biggest?

wise_man on August 14, 2008 at 11:22 AM

It’s what all the idiots that voted for him in the primaries deserve. He selects a pro-choice VP and he has no shot of winning. None. Nada.

saltydogg14 on August 14, 2008 at 11:23 AM

Go ahead and nominate a pro-abort VP candidate and I’m running track like Jesse Owens.

Jungliszt on August 14, 2008 at 11:23 AM

Folks, the base is going to be with McCain nomatter what.

ninjapirate on August 14, 2008 at 11:11 AM

You, sir, are wrong on that. The base is barely with him now. He will lose a minimum of 10% of the base if he picks a pro-abortion VP nominee.

Whether you understand it or not, many people already view this race the way Alan Keyes does. If McCain doesn’t pick a pro-lifer, he will lose a sizable percentage of those nutty, hated, albeit principled, evangelicals. And he will ruin the GOP for a generation, if not forever, in the process.

flyfisher on August 14, 2008 at 11:26 AM

Folks, the base is going to be with McCain nomatter what.

ninjapirate on August 14, 2008 at 11:11 AM

You sir are either a Kos troll or extraordinarily naive.

Jungliszt on August 14, 2008 at 11:32 AM

Biggest?

wise_man on August 14, 2008 at 11:22 AM

Yes which is why I typed the statement. I honestly believe that McCain would be the biggest mistake in the history of this nation as President.

I’ve written about it several times here and on my blog.

I really am not joking. I’m not voting for McCain. I haven’t given him a dollar, in fact, I’ve donated more than two hundred to Obama to beat him. I donated to Hillary before, but taking the ideas of our Islamic friends, the enemy of John McCain is my friend.

St. John can promise anything, and I know he’s lying. He is absolutely untrustworthy, and if we elect him, we honestly deserve anything we get from him.

Snake307 on August 14, 2008 at 11:33 AM

95% or more of VP signals amount to multi-purpose misdirection – keep the other side in doubt, pay off political favors, create tactical surprise around the actual decision, flirt with in-play constituencies, etc.

As for the eventual decision, McCain may be fearless, but he has no desire to preside over a convention rebellion. If you’re going to get upset over comments like these, then you might as well demand that all pro-choice Republicans leave the party, that all pro-choice voters look elsewhere, and that even pro-life politicians and voters who merely are friendly with pro-choice politicians and voters join the Democrats.

Great plan!

CK MacLeod on August 14, 2008 at 11:36 AM

Snake307 on August 14, 2008 at 11:15 AM
SilverStar830 on August 14, 2008 at 11:16 AM
Maxx on August 14, 2008 at 11:18 AM

Will the taste in your mouths of a socialist and marxist ideology fit your anti-McCain bias? I would submit that you three have no clue as to the ramifications of the alternative choice starting with our national security that would be compromised by the appeasement policies the left have embraced.

Rovin on August 14, 2008 at 11:37 AM

So McCain is trying to lose, right? It appears as if Obama is trying his hardest to lose his lead, and possibly lose the election, but it appears as if McCain is having none of that and is stepping up his effort to outlose to Obama.

Defense Guy on August 14, 2008 at 11:39 AM

Does it really matter if abortion is legal or not? The procedure will still be performed if Roe is overturned. Look how well the drug laws are working…Ob-Gyn doctors will still perform the operation, or women can go back to back alleys and risk death. Forcing a woman to have a baby with a Federal gun to her head isn’t liberty. God said it is wrong to sin, he didn’t say it wouldn’t happen. If “pro-lifers” put half the energy into preventing pregnancies in the first place it wouldn’t be an issue. By the way, how many pro life presidents have there been since Roe(1973) and absolutely nothing happens when they get into office? They know there would be blood in the streets. I admit abortion isn’t the prettiest thing in the world, but I don’t have the right to tell anyone how to live their life or control their sexuality. I don’t want a “Big Brother” from either the right or the left. Okay, let the flaming begin………….

adamsmith on August 14, 2008 at 11:39 AM

It’s the judicial appointees, stupid!

Jungliszt on August 14, 2008 at 11:40 AM

taking the ideas of our Islamic friends, the enemy of John McCain is my friend.

Snake307 on August 14, 2008 at 11:33 AM

Um, what?

BadgerHawk on August 14, 2008 at 11:41 AM

adamsmith on August 14, 2008 at 11:39 AM

In all fairness, McCain never said anything about using the power of the fed. gov’t to outlaw abortion. His stated desire to see Roe overturned is based upon the notion, perhaps mistaken, that it is a matter for the states to decide.

JiangxiDad on August 14, 2008 at 11:42 AM

If McCain chooses a pro-abortion running mate, he may as well call me up directly and say, “Tony, stay home on election day. No candidate on the ticket is worthy of your vote.”

Moron! The fact that he even vocally ponders this is making me doubt him in a serious way.

ynot4tony2 on August 14, 2008 at 11:44 AM

Will he gain more moderate lefties/indies or lose more base ??
Do the math.

redrock on August 14, 2008 at 11:45 AM

Rovin on August 14, 2008 at 11:37 AM

You make a good point. McCain still isn’t getting my vote. You want my vote, you’ve got to earn it. I don’t give it to people when I know I’m going to be ashamed of it later. If I’m going to be stabbed in the back I’d rather that it was a Democrat doing it, not somebody that calls themselves a Republican. Let the pieces fall as they will.

Maxx on August 14, 2008 at 11:45 AM

adamsmith on August 14, 2008 at 11:39 AM

At the risk of being flamed also, I’ll side with you on this one. I don’t think most people want it outlawed, though, just restricted to some reasonable level.

As a side note, my wife is strongly pro-’choice’ and is absolutely disgusted by Obama’s position on the issue. This is one of McCain’s strongest cards at the debates and closing in on election day. I hope he doesn’t screw it up.

BadgerHawk on August 14, 2008 at 11:46 AM

I second BadgerHawk.

What?

Bishop on August 14, 2008 at 11:46 AM

adamsmith on August 14, 2008 at 11:39 AM

Let the flaming begin indeed. You don’t seem to understand the basic objection many of us have to abortion. It is murder. It isn’t a choice of sexuality. Rape happens, murder happens, larceny happens…does that mean that shouldn’t be illegal either? I’m not even remotely religious and I strongly object to abortion. I don’t want to look back in 20 years when they discover how much capacity for emotion these fetuses really have and say, “Oh well, I didn’t know.” If I’m proven wrong at some point, then babies are born…big whoop. If I’m proven right, then we have been committing institutionalized genocide, and there is no freaking way I would ever consider taking that chance. I don’t care about your “Big Brother” fears…in this instance at least, life is more important than liberty.

Obviously if he chose a pro-choice VP, nothing would probably come of it, but I don’t care. Women’s “rights” be damned. Women have the “right” to close their legs. Women have the “right” to demand their partner wear a condom. Women have the “right” to take the pill. Women have “right” to take a morning-after pill. Women should not have the “right” to commit murder, even if it is their own child.

jimmy the notable on August 14, 2008 at 11:47 AM

Thanks Biship. For a second I thought it must be like the coolest, most inside reference ever, but I guess not.

BadgerHawk on August 14, 2008 at 11:48 AM

Rovin on August 14, 2008 at 11:37 AM

Yeah, you’re actually right, in my opinion. As much as I like to talk about not voting for McCain, I have a moral obligation to vote for the one candidate who is not promising a retreat in Iraq and giving Al Qaida a propaganda victory larger in magnitude than Clinton gave him when he pulled troops from Mogadishu.

Bin Laden called us paper tigers then, and bragged about defeating the might of the U.S. military. Surrendering Iraq will allow him to brag about defeating the combined might of the western world.

ynot4tony2 on August 14, 2008 at 11:48 AM

That being said, I think it should still be legal in cases of incest, rape and health of the mother.

jimmy the notable on August 14, 2008 at 11:49 AM

ynot4tony2 on August 14, 2008 at 11:48 AM

When weighing that unfortunate choice btwn voting for the pain-in-the-ass McCain, or the commie boy, I find it useful to remember the troops, and what I think they would want.

JiangxiDad on August 14, 2008 at 11:52 AM

Rovin on August 14, 2008 at 11:37 AM

Michelle has it right McCain’s pro-amnesty, pro-global warming hype so why not go for the trifecta? That being said, what is going to be the final straw that will inject some realism in the “McCain is less bad than Obama” defenders? How much of the conservative agenda are you willing to give up in order to prop up an utterly unfit candidate like Democrat John McCain?

highhopes on August 14, 2008 at 11:55 AM

Y’know. Just went I get tempted into voting for this &*%$ing senator he goes and gives the conservative movement the finger. Why bother saving the republic from enemies abroad when we have our own worse enemy domestically in the form of abortion: do it “Johnny Mac,” and put an abortion-type on the ballot, and my middle finger will be writing in Dr. Walter E. Williams!

Branch Rickey on August 14, 2008 at 12:04 PM

highhopes on August 14, 2008 at 11:55 AM

Nowhere near as much as that of the liberal agenda one would have to embrace to send an unheard message to McCain…

ynot4tony2 on August 14, 2008 at 12:04 PM

Every time I am able to put my intense dislike of McShame and utter disrespect for his pea-brain to the side and resign myself to voting for the moron, he turns around and does something else that makes me regret having moved to that position. I still keep my fingers crossed that something will happen and McShame will be tossed out of the convention. I don’t even care who would replace him – anyone would be better.

The Presidential race of retards continues …

progressoverpeace on August 14, 2008 at 12:07 PM

Uhhhm, yeah. Might as well.

MCCAIN-OBAMA ’08!

misterpeasea on August 14, 2008 at 12:07 PM

jimmy the notable

Spot on. The Big Brother scenario that liberals frequently drone on about pales in comparison to the partial-birth abortion nightmare that is happening now, thanks to c%cksu&kers like Obama.

Jungliszt on August 14, 2008 at 12:09 PM

Rovin on August 14, 2008 at 11:37 AM

Isn’t that the same thing that was said about Clinton? Yet, the biggest gains for the Conservative Agenda was during the Clinton years. Not because Clinton was a Conservative, in spite of his being a liberal.

The Newt Contract with America that ushered in the 94 Republican Revolution was brilliant, and over the next six years, Republicans pushed a Conservative agenda. We saw Welfare Reform, opposed by Clinton, objected to by every major newspaper, fear mongered by every Democrat Elected official, yet it passed, and worked. The Balanced Budget, we were promised by Clinton that it would put millions of people out on the streets, and it didn’t.

Now Clinton claims these things as his legacy. Fine, I don’t care who gets credit for it, I want Conservative principals applied to the problem.

With McCain, we won’t have any hope of any conservative idealism. We will only have more and more socialism/liberalism. The Republicans aren’t going to campaign in 2010 against McCain. In fact, our Conservative Agenda under Bush, a “Republican” is farther to the left than it was under Clinton. Perhaps you can explain that to me? When did we become the party of bigger government? McCain’s policies all call for Bigger Government.

If I can’t find an honest ally to work with, I’ll take an honest enemy to work against. With Obama the neophyte, we can manipulate him to some extent. With McCain, we can’t, because he has never cared what we thought about anything.

I have considered the alternatives, and I am shocked that you Republicans who pretend to be Conservatives haven’t. If you want four years of McCain destroying the party, be my guest. When he’s done, you’ll be lucky to have twenty seats in the Senate and barely enough people in congress to get the token Republican on any Committee. Never forget, McCain hates you, always has, and always will.

Snake307 on August 14, 2008 at 12:10 PM

Offtopic

35 Issues, 35 Nights On CBS News

ninjapirate on August 14, 2008 at 11:03 AM

He is doing that. Every day he highlights how he’s different than the nasty old Conservative’s, and how he’s a new Conservative.

Snake307 on August 14, 2008 at 12:16 PM

It looks like a trial balloon to me, a way to show that McCain can get along with everyone in Washington and work across the aisle. If so, let’s pop that balloon tout suite and quit alienating the base.
Captain Ed

Good point. But that is the problem with McCain the “maverick.”

McCain keeps flirting with the mainstream media because he knows conservatives like me will never vote for Obama.

“Amnesty and pathway to USA Citizenship” for tens of millions of people who are here illegally, who commit Social Security number fraud, Identity theft , and document fraud, and who overwhelm our ERs leading to more public calls for Socialized Medicine….

Now the possibility of a pro-choice running mate.

McCain knows he will still win the “pragmatic vote.” Too bad that it comes at the expense of conservatives.

ColtsFan on August 14, 2008 at 12:17 PM

Someone needs to explain to McShame (using pictures would probably help, since McShame seems unable to understand pure reasoning) that it is not so much that someone is pro-choice that is the problem, but the sorts of justices such a person would see fit to nominate, since any pro-Roe person obviously has a ridiculous view of the Constitution. If McShame doesn’t understand this by now, then he’s beyond hopeless.

progressoverpeace on August 14, 2008 at 12:19 PM

Say what you want about McCain, but he certainly understands and loves his base of moderates and Democrats.

The stupidity is unbearable.

Valiant on August 14, 2008 at 12:25 PM

Ed,

I didn’t mean to parrot your point in my last post. I just wanted to put the emphasis on ones opinion of Roe rather than the larger question of when life begins. I am not really anti-abortion but I am vehemently anti-Roe. The determination of the beginning of life belongs in the same place that handles the determination of the end of life – the states.

progressoverpeace on August 14, 2008 at 12:38 PM

Once again, I must say…

I’m not voting for him. Nor Obama.

I’m going grassroots this round. That’s the only choice true Americans have.

madmonkphotog on August 14, 2008 at 12:41 PM

Snake307 on August 14, 2008 at 11:33 AM

Thats awesome!!!!

wise_man on August 14, 2008 at 12:49 PM

highhopes on August 14, 2008 at 11:55 AM

…. by helping to elect a conservative Barack Obama, of course!!!!!!!!

wise_man on August 14, 2008 at 12:56 PM

The only person on earth who ever makes me consider voting for Obama is McCain.

And he just. keeps. doing it.

NellE on August 14, 2008 at 1:01 PM

Join the club, NellE. Maybe if enough hot air folks can get together, they can get some tickets to go to the democrat convention and cheer. I’m sure that Move On PAC would like to have you all star in a internet commercial. It will be so much better than their previous one.

wise_man on August 14, 2008 at 1:03 PM

wise_man on August 14, 2008 at 12:56 PM

You didn’t answer the question, just put out the McCain is better than Obama crap. I’d appreciate a real answer. Just how much principle are you willing to sacrifice to get your guy elected? Where would you draw the line before you suddenly started questioning your uncritical support of McCain? Clearly, killing unborn life isn’t it for you so what would?

highhopes on August 14, 2008 at 1:06 PM

McCain has not yet reached the point where he is identical to Obama on the issues. No where near. Some people are under the illusion that he has, and now gone past Obama to the left. If they want to live inside that pipe dream cloud, then more power to them. I hope they get a thrill up their leg as they cast their vote for Obama, highhopes.

wise_man on August 14, 2008 at 1:09 PM

“your uncritical support of McCain? Clearly, killing unborn life isn’t it for you so what would?”

Why do you call it “uncritical?” I have eyes. I read the same things that you can. I am very critical of McCain. I also know that I can’t make him come to 100% agreement with all of the issues that I believe in. Have you heard the other news from Obama, not being against infanticide. Is McCain also for infanticide? Please let me know when he is.

Thanks.

wise_man on August 14, 2008 at 1:11 PM

The stupidity is unbearable.

Valiant on August 14, 2008 at 12:25 PM

The arrogance is disgusting. Encouraged by the crowd of useful idiots willing to cede principle because they hate the other guy more, McCain is assuming that the social conservatives and evangelicals are going along for the ride to the left of center.

I say there needs to be a clear unambiguous message from the base that if the GOP is going to front a liberal Democrat at the top the ticket they damned well better put somebody respectable on the ticket in the VP slot. That message isn’t getting through so long as the useful idiots swear uncritical allegience to McCain for the sole reason that he isn’t Obama.

highhopes on August 14, 2008 at 1:17 PM

wise_man on August 14, 2008 at 1:11 PM

You still haven’t answered my question. Read through your response, just more of the same riff that Obama is worse. You claim you are critical of McCain but you never call him out for his views which is why I wanted to know what issue/position would it take for you to take a different look at your support of the man.

I simply don’t see anything good coming out of a McCain presidency. He is to disloyal to my values and the positions I hold important to put my trust in the man. He will join forces with the Democrats and put through virtually the same agenda as Obama could accomplish with an organized conservative movement. Go ahead and support McCain unconditionally. I simply can’t prostitute my values as much as you “Moonbats for McCain” crowd.

highhopes on August 14, 2008 at 1:23 PM

Your version of events is of course, not true. But your explanation only helps to convince yourself that these other people are the bad guys, and the reason that this is happening.

If you keep saying this to yourself and others, highhopes, even you might convince yourself that this is true.

wise_man on August 14, 2008 at 1:24 PM

“Go ahead and support McCain unconditionally.”

Again, your version of events. Not anywhere near the truth. I am in progress in doing what I can to make McCain understand what issues are important to me. And since McCain does not read blogs, I am not attempting to convince him by making impassioned speeches to him here.

wise_man on August 14, 2008 at 1:26 PM

Abortion stops a beating heart.

“Pro-choice” is a euphemism for murder.

We have enough blood on our hands, McCain.

davidk on August 14, 2008 at 1:32 PM

Unlike what others are doing, making impashioned speeches to get as many others to not support the man who won the republican primaries.

If you or anyone else has some secret plan to get McCain kicked off the ticket at the convention, and bring about a real conservative like Bob Barr, or Ron Paul, or whoever you want to be the republican nominee, then more power to you. If all else fails, you can simply vote for Obama, to keep this insane madman, judas McAntiChristAntiRepublican from destroying all of the US if he is elected president.

Again, more power to you.

wise_man on August 14, 2008 at 1:33 PM

making impashioned speeches

wise_man on August 14, 2008 at 1:33 PM

“Impashioned?” Wise-man, I hate to be the spelling police, but c’mon.

BigD on August 14, 2008 at 1:35 PM

…. Impashooned …. ?

wise_man on August 14, 2008 at 1:38 PM

I can’t stand it.

Empassioned.

BigD on August 14, 2008 at 1:51 PM

Mccain’s VP is Pro abortion?

I’m pretty sure that Mike Huckabee is still pro life…

I think this is a false alarm people.

SaintOlaf on August 14, 2008 at 2:01 PM

Since McCain has now publicly entertained the idea of a pro-choice VP and made his moronic comments on the subject, he has effectively screwed his potential to attack Obama on his disgusting born-alive-baby-killer philosophy and voting record.

Obama’s live-baby-killing stance was McCain’s ace in the hole. He blew it.

nottakingsides on August 14, 2008 at 2:08 PM

Wow. He is even dumber than I thought. How did this guy ever graduate?

Gaunilon on August 14, 2008 at 2:08 PM

It’s tout de suite.

Sorry, I don’t know why I feel compelled to be the spelling police today. Maybe I should go find something else to do.

BigD on August 14, 2008 at 2:11 PM

No, you’re good.

wise_man on August 14, 2008 at 2:21 PM

wise_man on August 14, 2008 at 1:26 PM

You aren’t going to convince McCain of anything. Die-hard liberal is another term for McCain’s brand of Maverickism. He really believes all that crap about giving away citizenship, keeping the borders porous, taxing the hell out of Americans to save the polar bears etc. McCain may not be out there reading blogs but he has people doing that and they need to know that the base isn’t buying into his message of socialism (compared to Obama’s marxist agenda).

highhopes on August 14, 2008 at 2:28 PM

Well now, I guess I should vote for Obama then.

wise_man on August 14, 2008 at 2:32 PM

Wise_man on August 14, 2008 at 1:33 PM

That’s a bit overly dramatic, no?

I’m just being honest about what we get with McCain. Which is more than can be said for the crowd who demands we all support the man simply because he isn’t Obama. BTW, if I don’t vote for McCain, I’m certainly not voting in Obama either. America is screwed no matter which one gets into office. I just want the reality to be out there before the election instead of a bunch of people supposedly critical of McCain spending these months doing nothing but singing the man’s praises.

Multiple posts now and you have yet to say one thing that you are critical of McCain about but whole paragraphs of why everybody should drink the kool-aid and vote for the man. That speaks volumes about how much you really care about the issues.

highhopes on August 14, 2008 at 2:33 PM

wise_man on August 14, 2008 at 1:33 PM

I don’t give a #%$! whether he won some “R” primary or not!

If he is for open borders or amnesty, through his personal actions or his appointees, I won’t vote for him!

If he is pro-choice, through his personal actions or his appointees, I won’t vote for him!

You are probably assuming that I’m bashing McCain… but I’m not! Those are some of the personal filters I use FOR ALL CANDIDATES! I’m just tired of rabid McCain supporters trying to strong-arm my support.

I am very critical of McCain.

wise_man on August 14, 2008 at 1:11 PM

ROFL!!! Won’t work on me. I grew up around farms. I know the smell of BS!

dominigan on August 14, 2008 at 2:39 PM

Well now, I guess I should vote for Obama then.

wise_man on August 14, 2008 at 2:32 PM

No, you should stop using Democrat tactics to strong-arm support for a candidate that goes against many conservative positions.

Unless of course, you have the ear of McCain so you can suggest he stop undermining his own support… Are you a McCain plant?

dominigan on August 14, 2008 at 2:42 PM

highhopes on August 14, 2008 at 2:33 PM

Oh, I’m critical of a lot of things. Am I required to tell you them all? Will you get upset and stomp your feet if I don’t tell you?

wise_man on August 14, 2008 at 2:49 PM

dominigan on August 14, 2008 at 2:42 PM

No, they’re McCainiacs, they think the sun rises and sets on the backside of Saint John of the McCain. They love anyone who has an R after their name as it is. A Republican can do no wrong, and all Republicans are automatically Conservative, certainly more Conservative than any Democrat.

The Republican Party doesn’t need plants, because Team McCain has the plants on the web already, using talking points to highlight how wonderful McCain is. McCain not only votes like a liberal, he sends his minions talking points just like a Liberal/Socialist.

To hell with John McCain. I would rather slam a portion of my anatomy in a sliding glass door than vote for John McCain.

Snake307 on August 14, 2008 at 2:49 PM

dominigan on August 14, 2008 at 2:42 PM

Like I said. More power to you people. I am not the one using democrat tactics to get you to vote for Obama, when these other people clearly are.

I am my own man, who is so far unconvinced that a president Obama will be a better choice for me as a conservative.

Who are you.

wise_man on August 14, 2008 at 2:51 PM

Snake307 on August 14, 2008 at 2:49 PM

Yup. And before this is all done, maybe you’ll donate more than two hundred dollars to help Obama beat McCain.

More. Power. To. You.

wise_man on August 14, 2008 at 2:52 PM

More. Power. To. You.

wise_man on August 14, 2008 at

I don’t really like Obama much either. But every once in a while, say about once a month, I give $25 just to keep them feeling like they’re making progress.

I wouldn’t give McCain my garden hose if his house was on fire. I honestly hope that McCain loses in November. I want him to be destroyed as a political force once and for all, so he is no longer able to come back and screw up the political scene with his crap.

I wish I was joking, but I’m not. For the first time in my life, I’m campaigning against the Republican. However, I’ve learned after all these years that you can’t trust John McCain. He will lie, cheat, and steal for power and prestige. He’s been for drilling, and against drilling in the last year. He’s been for Military Involvement, and against it. He’s been for lower taxes, and voted against it. He’s been nothing but the stereotypical two faced lying politician his entire career.

I may respect his service in the Navy, but there are lots of people I served with in the Military that I don’t think should be President either. I for one would be a bad choice, unless you think a revolution is a good thing. I would overhaul the tax system within two months of being elected. If Congress didn’t give me a flat tax that took out every single exemption and loop hole except to deduct any and all earnings below the poverty line for everyone, then I’d pardon every single taxpayer in the nation for Tax Evasion and all tax related crimes, and sit back while the people refused to pay taxes for that year.

Snake307 on August 14, 2008 at 3:06 PM

With the way it’s going in this country I think you will get your wish.

Looks to me like McCain can’t beat Obama. I was sure that Bush wouldn’t get reelected in 04 because of all of the issues with Bush. But the democrats ran dukakis II. Eight years of Bush will certainly do it this time. Since the election is now down to JFKII vs Bob DoleII.

He will be destroyed. No one who runs for president once can ever go back. Kerry wanted to run, and couldn’t. Edwards tried, and didn’t get the votes. After this, McCain wont be a force to threaten you with his democrat ways at all.

wise_man on August 14, 2008 at 3:21 PM