Obama’s fine print on convention speech tickets

posted at 8:50 am on August 13, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

“You are required to volunteer.”  That would normally be a splendid example of an oxymoron, but it also describes the process for those who want to see Barack Obama speak at Invesco Field as he accepts his nomination.  Instead of simply throwing open the doors to the public free of charge, as the Obama campaign publicly proposed, tickets get distributed on a pay-in-kind basis:

“I got a call that if I want the tickets I have to volunteer two shifts of three hours apiece — for one ticket. If I want two tickets, then it’s four shifts of two hours apiece,” said Berenice Christensen.

Another 7NEWS viewer sent an e-mail that said, “I received a call Monday saying I could ‘qualify’ for the tickets if I do 12 hours of volunteer work for the Obama campaign between now and Friday the 15th.”

The viewer e-mail goes on to say, “To work 40 hours at my job, get to and from work, get to and from the campaign office and complete the 12 hours in three days would be next to impossible.”

This raises some questions about the event.  If the campaign requires people to work for several hours to acquire them, doesn’t that make this an in-kind contribution rather than volunteer work?  If people who have already contributed to the limit for Obama perform work as compensation towards these tickets, then they could break campaign law by doing so.

Even without the campaign-finance issues, this looks very much like a bait-and-switch by Obama.  The entire point of the Invesco address was to welcome everyone for free, perhaps because they wanted to ensure that the place was filled to capacity.  Now, with everyone excited about attending this free event, Obama suddenly tells them that they can’t get a seat unless they work for him first.

Like most of Obama’s plans, nothing is free.  We’ll pay one way or the other for every supposed giveaway in his policies.  And in the end, he wants everyone working for him, while tossing hosannas at his feet and giving him the best optics he can possibly get.

One last thing: Obama didn’t require Germans in Berlin to work for him in order to cheer him at the Tiergarten.  Why does Obama treat Germans better than Americans?

Comments

I’m just praying for snow.

thegreatbeast on August 13, 2008 at 11:54 AM

They volunteered for a lot of Arschküssen und Arschlecken.

Entelechy on August 13, 2008 at 11:48 AM

I don’t like the sound of that. Even though I don’t speak the language it sounds rude. :)

OldEnglish on August 13, 2008 at 11:58 AM

Post should be subtitled work makes it free.

clghitis on August 13, 2008 at 12:03 PM

Me think’s the Halo is tipping!!!

Winebabe on August 13, 2008 at 12:22 PM

One last thing: Obama didn’t require Germans in Berlin to work for him in order to cheer him at the Tiergarten. Why does Obama treat Germans better than Americans?

Because they were there for the rock concert afterwards…

Skywise on August 13, 2008 at 12:27 PM

If even a small percentage of the delegates attending this event cry foul and decide to change their vote Hillary will be the nominee.

meci on August 13, 2008 at 12:33 PM

Yes, he did.

They volunteered for a lot of Arschküssen und Arschlecken.

Entelechy on August 13, 2008 at 11:48 AM

Oh wow, that’s good! I had to read it twice to make sure I read that right. I almost reached for my German dictionary…

El Cazador on August 13, 2008 at 12:41 PM

OldEnglish on August 13, 2008 at 11:58 AM

Truth hurts, not you, as you’re not the object of the attack.

Entelechy on August 13, 2008 at 12:51 PM

Me think’s the Halo is tipping!!!

Winebabe on August 13, 2008 at 12:22 PM

It’s slowly loosing air. The effects are unpredictable, yet.

Entelechy on August 13, 2008 at 12:53 PM

actualy has a deeper more interesting reason…

He wants to make sure he is stacking the stadium with the Fithful… no heretics allowed…

If your a Rep, or Independent, or… shudder… a Hillary supporter you won’t work for Obama’s campaign… thus, a truly stacked house.

Problem is that this is the DEM convention. Not the Obama convention…

Interesting question, WHO is paying for the Stadium? The Dem party? or Obama? I’ve tried to find out but I don’t have the horsepower to do so…

Romeo13 on August 13, 2008 at 12:57 PM

Arbeit Macht Frie! …if I remember my German. You vill do zees sings and you vill like it!

Wyznowski on August 13, 2008 at 1:01 PM

The gall of this man knows no bounds. I hope everyone planning on going decides not to.

Seeing him giving a speech in an empty stadium would be priceless!

…or it would be like watching the Olympics.

freebird on August 13, 2008 at 1:09 PM

“Arbeit macht frei”.

Forced ‘volunteered’ anything macht gulag/Konzentrationslager.

It all starts so idealistically innocently…

Entelechy on August 13, 2008 at 1:20 PM

“If people who have already contributed to the limit for Obama perform work as compensation towards these tickets, then they could break campaign law by doing so.” Mine Gott en Himmel!
Das ist der truut!
Undt, dis ist very interesting too:
“Obama didn’t require Germans in Berlin to work for him in order to cheer him at the Tiergarten. Why does Obama treat Germans better than Americans?”
I’ll answer that: because they are Germans and less affluent than we are. I also think he loves German history and ‘culture’, don’t you?

Christine on August 13, 2008 at 1:52 PM

…veddy eentearestink…

Christine on August 13, 2008 at 1:54 PM

He’s making up the rules as he goes along, and his arrogance tells him that his flock will fall in line and grovel for the chance to serve the master of hope. I have a hope… I hope that he finally outgrows his britches and they fall off of him in front of that half full rain-soaked stadium and exposes him as the emporer in sponge bob bikini briefs that he is.

scalleywag on August 13, 2008 at 2:03 PM

stacking the stadium with the Fithful…

Romeo13 on August 13, 2008 at 12:57 PM

Does that mean the attendees should plan to get drunk well in advance of the speech??? That should make for some interesting television viewing…

Mary in LA on August 13, 2008 at 2:05 PM

What kind of volunteer work, did they specify?

Sir Napsalot on August 13, 2008 at 2:06 PM

Mary in LA on August 13, 2008 at 2:05 PM

Nope… typo.. sorry… should have been FAITHFULL…

Fifthfull will be me, sittin in South Denver, char’n animal flesh and drinking Bourban…

Romeo13 on August 13, 2008 at 2:49 PM

(thumbing through dogeared copy of LIBERAL FASCISM)

Whoop…there it is.

sulla on August 13, 2008 at 5:53 PM

I’ve been hearing that many would be leaving the military should Obama pull off his miracle [of getting elected], so now I’m wondering if he would use this lawerly shady tactic to get recruits, or just push congress to re-enact the draft.

I’m just saying!

DannoJyd on August 13, 2008 at 6:21 PM

Truth hurts, not you, as you’re not the object of the attack.

Entelechy on August 13, 2008 at 12:51 PM

Sorry, E. In my stiff, English manner, I was trying to be funny/witty. I knew the target.

OldEnglish on August 13, 2008 at 8:05 PM

Is he hurting for money?

Kevin71 on August 13, 2008 at 9:25 PM

This raises some questions about the event. If the campaign requires people to work for several hours to acquire them, doesn’t that make this an in-kind contribution rather than volunteer work? If people who have already contributed to the limit for Obama perform work as compensation towards these tickets, then they could break campaign law by doing so.

You made these remarks as if you think it’s entirely unremarkable that your free countrymen be treated as criminals for assembling peaceably to work together in the pursuit of political ends. I’ll grant that you may be right that the arrangement could be construed as breaking a campaign “finance” law, but that’s a problem for political liberty, and you show no awareness of such a problem. If you are aware of the problem, then you show no awareness of the urgency of making your opposition clear.

Kralizec on August 13, 2008 at 11:04 PM

This does sound odd-I can’t recall any such ‘work for tickets’ in earlier conventions. The point some have made that this clause would ‘sift out’ any Clinton supporters seems valid to me, but does the Obama group really think that they will fill the hall without including everyone? What if they gave a convention and no one came?

The more that I see Obama in action, the more I feel that this is all a joke from George Soros-that he has such contempt for the American people that he is taking the emptiest of empty suits, B. H. Obama, and foisting it upon us, just to prove that he can do it.

Doug on August 13, 2008 at 11:16 PM

Doug on August 13, 2008 at 11:16 PM

It is surreal

Whether Soros is the puppetmaster, Obama is definitely an empty suit, obviously making up policy and solutions to world problems on the fly.

Without a script he cannot fake it

He was positioned to the front very early. Whoever was leveraging Obama, they were not doing it because he had solutions, but because he was so clueless about the details, and so egotistical he could be manipulated by letting him wear a crown and throwing him a bone now and then

Obama can say ‘Hope for Change’ without laughing

That is his talent

entagor on August 14, 2008 at 12:22 AM

TANSTAAFL

There Ain’t No Such Thing As A Free Lunch.

Free handouts aren’t free, either. Accepting them puts you on the hook.

{^_^}

herself on August 14, 2008 at 4:21 AM

I’m just saying!

DannoJyd on August 13, 2008 at 6:21 PM

Why would Our Great And Glorious Leader (May He Live Forever) need a military? Our Great And Glorious Leader (May He Live Forever) shall speaketh words of wisdom to our enemies and they shalt soilith their britches and turn and retreat from any evil intent!

sabbott on August 14, 2008 at 11:40 AM

Because he hasn’t conquered Germany yet, but believes he’s conquered the US.

Aylios on August 19, 2008 at 8:28 AM