McCain: Lieberman and Graham are going to Georgia

posted at 7:31 pm on August 13, 2008 by Allahpundit

A sour note in an otherwise strong statement proposing harsh consequences for Russia’s aggression, from booting them out of the G8 to rejecting their membership in the WTO to sending peacekeepers to their new Sudetenland in Ossetia and Abkhazia. He’s careful to say that Liebs and Graham will be going in their capacity as senators and members of the Armed Services Committee (and invites other members to go with them), but given the context and the fact that they’re his two most ardent supporters, it comes off like he’s dispatching them as envoys. Questions that pop to mind: Do Committee members really need to conduct their own fact-finding missions in the middle of a hot war? State and Defense briefings could probably get them up to speed. And what would the reaction have been if The One had made this move first with Bayh and Webb in the surrogate roles? Would have seemed to me like a transparent attempt to squeeze a photo op from a crisis that the administration’s already straining to manage without needing any extra distractions. Well, here you go.

Update: A transcript from the McCain campaign.

“The situation in Georgia remains perilous. I am pleased by President Bush’s statement this morning, and I support the various steps he outlined including the dispatch of Secretary Rice to Georgia and Europe, the delivery of humanitarian supplies to Georgia by sea and air, and U.S. insistence on Russian compliance with the terms of the ceasefire, which includes the withdrawal of all of its military forces from Georgia. The President’s statement of support for Georgia at this time is of critical importance, not only to the Georgian people but to all countries that are closely monitoring Russian activities and actions.

“I welcome President Sarkozy’s mediation and that of the European Union. I am concerned that the ceasefire agreement omitted any reference to Georgia’s territorial integrity. And, it’s clear that Russia is continuing military operations against Georgian targets despite the agreement, including in areas far from South Ossetia. I am deeply disturbed by reports of looting, burning villages, and killings of civilians that are in areas under Russian control. Anyone committing human rights abuses or acts in violation of the laws of war should be held accountable.

“At a time of high energy prices and instability in global markets, it’s important to understand that events in Georgia — part of a strategic energy corridor — affects individual lives far beyond the Caucasus. Because of the fighting, the Baku-Supsa oil pipeline has been shut down at a time when the Baku-Tbilisi-Ceyhan pipeline is also closed. Those pipelines are critical for transporting oil from sources in the Caspian to points west.

“The United States has canceled a planned joint military operation with Russia, but we will now need to review the full range of our relations. With our NATO allies, we must address the future of the alliance’s relationship with Russia and with our G7 partners. We should discuss whether it makes sense for Russia to continue its participation in the G8. We’ll also need to review Russia’s aspiration for membership in the World Trade Organization.

“In addition, I urge discussions about an international peacekeeping operation, including canvassing nations for possible contributions to such a force. NATO should also begin anew, the discussions about a membership track for both Georgia and Ukraine. After the events of the past six days, no one should wonder why countries on Russia’s periphery so ardently seek the security guarantees that alliance membership represents.

“The situation in Georgia remains fluid and dangerous. As soon as possible, my colleagues Senator Lieberman and Senator Graham will be traveling to Georgia. They’re both members of the Senate Armed Services Committee. I hope that other members of the Armed Services Committee in the Senate and they will go together and receive an assessment of the situation and what we need to do in the future to avoid further escalation and also to protect the independence and freedom of the people of this brave democratic ally, the country of Georgia. Thank you.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

That is why the Kosovo precedent complicates things.

Terrye on August 13, 2008 at 9:37 PM

Steve:

True.

Terrye on August 13, 2008 at 9:38 PM

I’m still waiting for George Clooney to save Darfur.

Terrye on Aug 13,2008 at 9:31PM.

Terrye:Ooooooooooooooooooooo thats a good one,I’ll raise
you one!

I’m still waiting for Richard Gere,to go to the
2008 Beijing Olympics,sit in the audience,and un-
frill a protest sign!

You know,when Richard Gere says,”I speak on behalf
of the World”,on human rights!

canopfor on August 13, 2008 at 9:40 PM

canopfor:

Yeah, like that will ever happen. Richard just want us all to get along.

Terrye on August 13, 2008 at 9:42 PM

Were the Georgians committing human rights violations against the ethnic Russians within their borders? That’s not a facetious question — I really don’t know. If they were, then that changes things and makes the situation more like Kosovo than the hypothetical situation of ethnic Mexicans in south Texas trying to violently separate from a United States that would not have been committing any human rights violations against them.

aero on August 13, 2008 at 9:44 PM

Yeah,like that will happen.

Terrye on Aug 13,2008 at 9:42PM.

Terrye: If Gere isn’t in Beijing,he’s probably
having a latte in France! haha :)

canopfor on August 13, 2008 at 9:45 PM

canopfor on August 13, 2008 at 9:40 PM

I’ll see your Clooney and Gere and raise you one OJ still looking for the real killer!

Alden Pyle on August 13, 2008 at 9:57 PM

As I understand it, that’s the charge by the Russians. And there are reports that apparently support that.

OTOH, there are reports that the South Ossetians began firing mortars into Georgia villages and the Georgians responded.

I.e., the Georgians were protecting their people from attacks. Attacks that were, again allegedly, encouraged by the Russians to provoke a response that they could use to attack Georgia proper.

My guess is we’ll never know.

SteveMG on August 13, 2008 at 9:58 PM

Sounds like the plot to a Don Knotts movie.

I remember when we “only had one President at a time…”

alphie on August 13, 2008 at 7:43 PM

alphie is either a moron or … Aw hell, alphie’s a moron! REMEMBER THIS?

Fishoutofwater on August 13, 2008 at 10:00 PM

He should have really stirred the pot and sent Hillary along as well.

rw on August 13, 2008 at 7:44 PM

Nah. There could be sniper fire.;)

Bobbertsan on August 13, 2008 at 10:23 PM

Allah P’s position contradicts his post on Shaakashvili’s speech where Allah recognizes the impressive display of solidarity Georgia’s neighboring states have shown by the physical presence of their leaders in Tbilisi.

You’re wrong here; right later. The whole darn point is putting VIPs in the line of fire; standing with Georgia. By sending his little arm-waving pal along with Joe L. McCain sends a strong and consistent message.

What were you thinking?

rcl on August 13, 2008 at 10:27 PM

Okay, I just read Ed’s post “Sovereignty Wars” from earlier today, and it clarified some of my questions on the topic. Thanks for your answer, too, SteveMG.

aero on August 13, 2008 at 10:29 PM

Lindsay Graham is not only McCain’s friend, he is also an officer [Lawyer] in the [Very} Reserve. He went to Iraq and did some [paper shuffling] duty there and he did carry a [hopefully unloaded] sidearm. Maybe he will be [hopefully not] armed in Georgia.

Terrye on August 13, 2008 at 9:33 PM

MB4 on August 14, 2008 at 1:56 AM

Mr. Putin never hangs around
When he hears this mighty sound……
“Here I come to pontificate all day!”
That means that Prissy Lissy Graham is on his way.
Yessir when there is a camera in sight
Prissy Lissy Graham will join the fight

MB4 on August 14, 2008 at 2:08 AM

Terrye on August 13, 2008 at 9:33 PM

Ah, you’re right. I forgot about that. Still, Graham can tick me off like few others most of the time.

Kevin71 on August 14, 2008 at 6:13 AM

MB4:

That is childish. It really is. Prissy little Graham raised himself out of poverty by joining the US military. You do not have to like the man or support everything he does, but when it comes to matters of national security he is not prissy.

Terrye on August 14, 2008 at 6:46 AM

And besides MB4 the last time the socalled true conservatives tried to run someone against Graham in a primary they picked a guy who had past associations with the KKK. So maybe they need to spend more time and energy coming up with a suitable opponent and less time and energy being snarky. Just sayin.

Terrye on August 14, 2008 at 6:48 AM

I heard Obama’s little friend Susan Rice shooting her mouth off about McCain instigating problems in Georgia for the sake of the campaign etc…and I wondered, how much did Obama’s victory tour of Europe have to do with this move by Russia. Did they say to themselves…hmmm a Europhile in the White House who believes in hope and change and universal health care….he hates war and icky stuff like that….maybe if we go ahead and put the screws to the folks in Georgia he won’t mind. You gotta wonder.

I think this is why Republicans usually win the White House, there is always some guy like Putin out there who just has to push the envelope.

Terrye on August 14, 2008 at 6:56 AM

Hugh Hewitt played audio of McCain’s speech last night. I stood in my kitchen feeling like I was listening to the President, my President.

Okay people I know he isn’t yet but I decided righ then and there to send him a check. I’ve received dozens of contribution solicitations from him and have not responded yet. Hearing him last night completely changed my mind to send $$, and I will do everything I can with the local campaign to get this man elected in November.

Brat on August 14, 2008 at 8:24 AM

Lieberman is very consistant in his voting, which is almost 100% of the Democratic line, except for Iraq, but the other little weasel is a fake, and is a liberal democrat who ran as a Republican. His latest escapade is the “Gang of Ten” which is total capitulation to the Democrat side of what in effect is actually “no drilling” where it might actully work
If McCain take either of those two for VP, he has no shot at the White House

HAGGS99 on August 14, 2008 at 9:00 AM

Lindsay GrAmnesty? We will be lucky if the Russians don’t invade Alaska after he’s done…

sabbott on August 14, 2008 at 9:42 AM

Hey folks: let’s have an agreement.

In all threads he appears in, DO NOT FEED THE TROLL!!

You all know who I am talking about.

Hard to do, I know, but let’s give it a shot.

pseudonominus on August 14, 2008 at 10:25 AM

Conservatives can complain about him, but there are times like this when he comes through. He really does.

Terrye on August 13, 2008 at 9:33 PM

That’s right Terrye. He really comes through for the right people. I’ll never forget during that gripping debate in 2007 where he told that respected human rights group, La Raza, that he was going to tell the bigots who were in favor of border enforcement to shut up.
That should have been a career ender, Terrye. So he can go on down to Georgia, for Vladamir Putin’s soul to steal, but as long at this Gump talking moron is part of the GOP, austinnelly says ‘NO DEAL’. Sorry, couldn’t resist a little rhyme.

austinnelly on August 14, 2008 at 11:11 AM

MB4:

That is childish. It really is.

Terrye on August 14, 2008 at 6:46 AM

I know. I should not have commented it when it was only a quick late night first draft. I should have waited at least until I had a second draft.

Mr. Putin never hangs around
When he hears this mighty sound……..
“Here I come to pontificate all day!!!”
That means that Prissy Lissy Graham is on his way.
Yessir if there is a camera anywhere in sight
Prissy Lissy Graham will hop on the very next flight

OK, do you like that any better, Ms. Crabapple?

BTW, did you know that in addition to building the log cabin that he was born in and raising himself out of dirt poor poverty, almost as dirt poor as John Edwards was born to, little Prissy also fights a never ending battle against bigots and nativists?

MB4 on August 14, 2008 at 11:27 AM

MB4:

That is childish. It really is.

Terrye on August 14, 2008 at 6:46 AM

BTW, Ms. Crabapple, why are you always giving bad grades to just the childish naughty little boys in class? Why don’t you ever give bad grades to any of the childish naughty little girls in class?

Are you some kind of sexists?

MB4 on August 14, 2008 at 11:50 AM

Gang of three or the trinity of loose testes

Nhaw, more like the three amigos

Kini on August 14, 2008 at 12:10 PM

Let’s see, McCain is sending representatives to Georgia to see what’s going on, and some here are using this as an opportunity to snark about Graham?

How old are you? And did you finish the 8th grade?

rightwingprof on August 14, 2008 at 12:18 PM

^ beacause Graham is such a staltawrt defender of Conservatism, lulz!

pseudonominus on August 14, 2008 at 12:33 PM

Let’s see, McCain is sending representatives to Georgia to see what’s going on try to get a leg up on Obama as the Pentagon and State Department could obviously tell him a whole lot more, and some here are using this as an opportunity to snark tell the truth about Prissy Lissy Graham?

How old are you?

Old enough to know better but too young to care

And did you finish the 8th grade?

Yes. Nespelem grade school at the top of my class.

rightwingprof on August 14, 2008 at 12:18 PM

MB4 on August 14, 2008 at 12:39 PM

Hussein is the ultimate pencil neck who’s probably never been in a fistfight. He considers himself “a citizen of the world,” and thinks that babies who survive abortions may be jammed into garbage disposals.
McCain has dropped high explosives on Communists, and endured years of captivity, torture, and horrid treatment for his country. He refused to go home when offered the opportunity, rather than abandon his comrades.
Forget which one would make the best president, first tell me this: which one is a man’s man?
After that has been established, we can talk about who would make the best president.
Caution: the wrong choice casts aspersion on your manhood.

Akzed on August 14, 2008 at 2:42 PM

Caution: the wrong choice casts aspersion on your manhood.

Akzed on August 14, 2008 at 2:42 PM

Why a twelve-year-old child could understand this. Run out and find me a twelve-year-old child. I can’t make head nor tail out of it.
- Groucho Marx

MB4 on August 14, 2008 at 3:07 PM

Allah,

the more you write the more I think your in the tank for BHO.

unseen on August 14, 2008 at 3:22 PM

Battle War the Movie script:

John McCain: Prissy, I’m sending you to Georgia

Prissy: Thanks, I need a vaction

John McCain: Not Georgia, USA, Georgia over by Russia

Prissy: But Miz Scarlett, I don’t know nuttin ’bout birthin babies!

John McCain: The Russians have crossed the Georgian border illegally. We have to stop them

Prissy: What’s wrong with crossing borders illegally?

John McCain: I am thinking of sending Joe Lieberman too?

Prissy: Can he birth babies? [sniffle] [sniffle]

John McCain: Would I lie to you?

Prissy: What’s a lie?

John McCain: Be a man

Prissy: What’s a man?

John McCain: I forgot.

Prissy: OK I’ll go as long as they don’t have guns. Guns hurt people.

John McCain: No problemo amigo. Adios

entagor on August 15, 2008 at 5:15 AM

Senator Graham will be traveling to Georgia

Good. Maybe they’ll like Graham so much they’ll keep him. He’s pretty worthless here.

abcurtis on August 15, 2008 at 10:43 AM

I would have little confidence in a State Department briefing, since they have been playing an appeasement role. I don’t think Defense would be much better. On the other hand, I don’t have that much confidence in Lieberman or Graham either.

cf on August 15, 2008 at 4:18 PM

Make sure to hit the Waffle House, it isn’t bad at 3AM after being up for almost 24hrs.

Opps, wrong Georgia. My bad.

In all seriousness, as much as I distrust and dislike the Soviets Russians. I am glad we’re not sending troops. I don’t know enough about what happened to know who started it. This is Europe’s headache, let them deal with it. I’m sick of the U.S. being the World’s policeman and being slammed by the media and moronic “human rights” groups.

Mooseman on August 15, 2008 at 4:58 PM