Obama’s 10th favorite song of all time? “Yes, We Can”

posted at 4:45 pm on August 12, 2008 by Allahpundit

Via DPUD. I know what you’re thinking, that this is just more evidence of St. Barry being, in Hitchens’s words, a “megalomaniac narcissist” infatuated with his own vacuous rhetoric.

But in his defense, I’ll bet God really digs some of the hymns written about him too.

As for McCain, two ABBA songs in the top three? I have to assume he’s putting them there simply because he can: Any other candidate would endure endless mockery for it, but if a war hero wants to groove on “Take a Chance on Me,” who among us will cast the first stone?

Do note, not a single Beatles tune between the two candidates. My friends, the terrorists have already won.

Comments

hmmmm…me thinks its a slow news day today…oh wait, its not…Allah must just be looking for some lighter posts :)

SoCalInfidel on August 12, 2008 at 4:48 PM

The “song” is absolutely horrid.

amerpundit on August 12, 2008 at 4:49 PM

I don’t have any of those even on my iPod, let along in my top 10.

But I do have a lot of Beatles.

Bob's Kid on August 12, 2008 at 4:50 PM

Thanks for the link!

It's Vintage, Duh on August 12, 2008 at 4:51 PM

Errrr, that would be let alone, not along.

Spell check just doesn’t catch things like that.

Bob's Kid on August 12, 2008 at 4:51 PM

If we want to go Beatles, Obama’s campaign is probably singing “Help.” And Obama himself is a “paperback writer” as his sole claim to the presidency.

McCain? He is singing about how bad Elanor Rigby will have it under Obama’s reign.

Vanceone on August 12, 2008 at 4:51 PM

Cobra Commander version is way better.

danking70 on August 12, 2008 at 4:53 PM

Check out this quote from Randy Newman in the Blender article:

Randy Newman: McCain has a really likeable list. Then again, Hitler liked some good music, you know?

I’m sure its meant in jest, but still…

jimmy the notable on August 12, 2008 at 4:53 PM

Is it just me, or does this seem like a “let’s pick songs to represent everyone” sort of list? Call me cynical. If I listed my top 10 favorite songs, at least half of them would come from only two bands.

ynot4tony2 on August 12, 2008 at 4:54 PM

Someone good with video skills should soooo make one with him speaking without a prompter and ahh uhh’ing his words to mimic this video.

Priceless!

proudinfidel on August 12, 2008 at 4:55 PM

Even his list of top 10 songs looks like a way to pander to the people he wants to court.

Rbastid on August 12, 2008 at 4:55 PM

I’m so ashamed that Obama and I both love Nina Simone’s “Sinnerman”… ugh. I feel violated.

But yeah, WTF is up with loving a song that he wrote about himself?

jtorres138 on August 12, 2008 at 4:56 PM

ynot4tony2 on August 12, 2008 at 4:54 PM

There’s probably some politicking going on, but I can’t remember a Music article where McCain doesn’t say he likes ABBA. I just realized, they were popular right around the time McCain got back from Vietnam, so I bet that’s just a band that he associates with the probably overwhelming feeling of not living in a rat hole.

jimmy the notable on August 12, 2008 at 4:56 PM

Oh dear. LOL

Another Major Endorsement for Obama
Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 12:38:35 pm PST

The Communist Party USA says that Barack Obama may not be the perfect Stalinist they’ve been hoping for, but he is a stepping stone to the new socialist utopia: CPUSA Online – Editorial: Eye on the Prize.

funky chicken on August 12, 2008 at 4:57 PM

gosh, I don’t think Charles is gonna vote for The One.

Obama Snubs US Soldiers Again
Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 8:51:36 am PDT

Barack Obama said he couldn’t attend a military “town hall” meeting because he had a prior engagement. That “prior engagement” was a vacation in Hawaii: Obama Snubs U.S. Soldiers Again.

OK, done posting OT from LGF now.

funky chicken on August 12, 2008 at 5:01 PM

But yeah, WTF is up with loving a song that he wrote about himself?

jtorres138 on August 12, 2008 at 4:56 PM

Same thing about writing a book he wrote, about himself. His only claim to fame.

kirkill on August 12, 2008 at 5:01 PM

I like ABBA, but you have to be a real man to list “Dancing Queen” as your favorite song.

misterpeasea on August 12, 2008 at 5:02 PM

I have the Erasure cover of “take a chance on me” in the disc player in the car now. Of course there’s some old school Metallica and Ministry on there to avoid embarrassing moments at red lights when the window is rolled down.

rw on August 12, 2008 at 5:04 PM

A: That song is too horrific to listen to; it is embarassing

B: Kanye West is about to be thrown under the bus in 5,4,3…

Hunt035 on August 12, 2008 at 5:05 PM

There is nothing genuine about Uuuuuuhbama. Everything is staged, phony.

thekingtut on August 12, 2008 at 5:06 PM

No Skynyrd for either. Thats depressing.

eski502 on August 12, 2008 at 5:07 PM

For a guy who claims to be the hope of the world, it is a bit…I dunno…disappointing maybe?…to see no Latin rock hits…Juanes, Shakira come to mind (after all aren’t we all supposed to be learning Spanish?), and no entries from the German Top 10.

Or maybe he’s just a poser.

Blaise on August 12, 2008 at 5:07 PM

Wow I’ve never heard McCain’s #2 Blue Bayou before, what a nice little song.

jimmy the notable on August 12, 2008 at 5:07 PM

funky chicken on August 12, 2008 at 4:57 PM

Let’s see: Fidel Castro, Kim Jong Il, The Communist Party USA — all endorse Barack Obama for U.S. President.

Seems like the McCain people ought to be making a commercial out of that. Maybe they could use “Yes we can” as the background music.

AZCoyote on August 12, 2008 at 5:09 PM

Personally I’m just as happy with Alice Cooper http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6854784063656383723

ForNow on August 12, 2008 at 5:13 PM

RN: It says a lot about the long ride Sinatra got out of being phenomenal for two years in the ’40s.

Hee! (Technically, both songs are by Cole Porter — and many people have done both better.)

Nobody took a Beatles shot with “Fool On The Hill” yet? I’ll go fix the coffee.

Tanya on August 12, 2008 at 5:17 PM

What, no Time?

I’ll be with my bong and chips.

Dusty on August 12, 2008 at 5:18 PM

From the Communist Party USA endorsement:

A broad multiclass, multiracial movement is converging around Obama’s “Hope, change and unity” campaign because they see in it the thrilling opportunity to end 30 years of ultra-right rule and move our nation forward with a broadly progressive agenda.

This diverse movement combines a variety of political currents and aims in a working coalition that is crucial to social progress at this point. At the core are America’s working families, of all hues and ethnicities, whose determination to move forward does not depend on, and will not be diverted by, the daily twists and turns of this watershed presidential campaign. They are taking the long view. …

Bill Clinton, ultra-right?

funky chicken on August 12, 2008 at 5:19 PM

Obama has “Gimme Shelter” as #4. One of my favorites, and a ring tone on my cel as well. I’m still not voting socialist, Barry. Now if you had Hendrix”Voodoo Child-Slight Return”, nah, even that wouldn’t be enough for me to ditch the capitalist, libertarian values I hold dear to vote for a closet commie…………Try again, Son of Marx.

adamsmith on August 12, 2008 at 5:19 PM

When I watched the “Yes, We Can” video, I noticed clips of young white women being interspersed with clips of Obama. Obviously, will.i.am is secretly helping Karl Rove promote his poisonous racist agenda.

thuja on August 12, 2008 at 5:20 PM

To paraphrase Jim Carey, 2003 MTV Awards, “I like rap as much as any terrified white guy…but who do you have to **** to get a little FogHat around here??”

No FogHat? No Skynard? C’mon, McCain, “Freebird” has to be on the list…

coldwarrior on August 12, 2008 at 5:22 PM

Newman Godwin’s himself before the end of the first page.

Liberals…

Jaibones on August 12, 2008 at 5:22 PM

I actually like four of McCain’s tunes, at least somewhat. And “Think” is a hot tune, even for a pansy like Obama. And Gimme Shelter has one of the hottest female solos in rock history.

Jaibones on August 12, 2008 at 5:26 PM

No Steely Dan? Green Earrings?! Dude.

No Return to Forever? Romantic Warrior? Interplay? Flight of the Newborn?!

Jaibones on August 12, 2008 at 5:29 PM

This is a little off topic, but speaking of communists: We watched the Jonestown documentary last night, and my husband and I saw a TON of similarities between the rhetoric of Jim Jones and BHO. Not saying that he is a commie suicidal cult leader, just that he is using similar tactics (no substance and experience needed) to attract followers/supporters.

Hunt035 on August 12, 2008 at 5:32 PM

Freebird? do not like.

Sweet Home Alabama? like

funky chicken on August 12, 2008 at 5:32 PM

So they won’t be playing the Horst Wessel Lied or the Internationale at the Obamafest?

“You say you got a real solution
Well you know
We’d all love to see the plan
You ask me for a contribution
Well you know
We’re doing what we can
But when you want money for people with minds that hate
All I can tell you is brother you have to wait”
- No, not that Lenin.

i b squidly on August 12, 2008 at 5:32 PM

i b squidly on August 12, 2008 at 5:32 PM

That would have been a perfect pick for McCain’s list, actually.

But when you go carrying pictures of Chairman Mao
You ain’t gonna make it with anyone any how.

Hey, the McCain campaign should hire William Amos and me.

funky chicken on August 12, 2008 at 5:37 PM

Rbastid on August 12, 2008 at 4:55 PM

Except he has no heavy metal in his list…a tragic oversite.

Regardless, his top ten could be nothing but Iron Maiden and I still wouldn’t vote for Barry.

ynot4tony2 on August 12, 2008 at 5:38 PM

It’s possible McCain was tortured with ABBA music in captivity. Could have rubbed off on him.

JammieWearingFool on August 12, 2008 at 5:43 PM

I’m on Fire? Seriously? That song has always totally creeped me out. I don’t care if it’s metaphorical or not.

scotch amy on August 12, 2008 at 5:43 PM

Obama’s first favorite song of all time:

You with your hesitating
And you always contemplating
What to do
When heaven has found you
Can’t you see
That it’s all wrapped up in the Messiah that’s me
So follow me

Come on, voters
I’m Obama the Piper
And I’ll show you where Hope and Change is at
Come on, voters
Can’t you see
I’m Obama the Piper
Trust in me

Voters
Don’t be scared to into the White House to help me move
Hey, voters
What do you think I’m tryin’ to prove
It ain’t true
That My Michelle would like to punch and kick you
It’s just in your mind
And that’s all that’s trickin’ you
So step in line

Come on, voters
Come on, voters
Trust in me
Come on, voters
Can’t you see
Come on, voters
I’m Obama the Piper

MB4 on August 12, 2008 at 5:43 PM

JammieWearingFool on August 12, 2008 at 5:43 PM

Too early. But maybe The Archies?

Ed Morrissey on August 12, 2008 at 5:46 PM

scotch amy on August 12, 2008 at 5:43 PM

creepy and crappy too. I understand why he had to put some Springsteen on there, I guess, but jeez, there are better choices.

funky chicken on August 12, 2008 at 5:48 PM

JammieWearingFool on August 12, 2008 at 5:43 PM

in 1973?

OH jeez, they should have freaked the “anti-Christ” left out and put Sympathy for the Devil on the list.

funky chicken on August 12, 2008 at 5:49 PM

I’m mixed with the no Beatles on this list. I’m not a Beatles fan partly because their music doesn’t resonate with me anymore, and partly – IN MY OPINION – they were the catalyst in the 60s that helped lead this country to the level of liberalism we have today. I honestly do not believe the leftist counter-culture would have such a hold on this country if it weren’t for the Fab Four. If the Beatles didn’t exist the Dems quite possibly wouldn’t be so communist in their views today. It’s a leap, I know.

But there is one Beatles song Barry should have on his list – Back in the U.S.S.R. That’s where we’ll be headed if he gets elected.

Brass Pair on August 12, 2008 at 5:51 PM

Brass Pair on August 12, 2008 at 5:51 PM

I’m still a Beatles fan however I do see your point.

This video and song is simply the latest attempt to evoke an emotional response from the younger folks and potentially grab a vote or two. It’s not clever or original but some as$-hats out there will trade a song for a vote if it means that they don’t have to think and come up with a logical and reasoned opinion. Sad.

Claypigeon on August 12, 2008 at 6:06 PM

Back in the USSR would have been good on McCain’s list too, the nutroots would have screamed bloody murder.

A list for McCain:

Revolution
Sympathy for the Devil
Back in the USSR
Sweet Home Alabama
So Much Cooler Online
I’m Still a Guy
(the prior two songs by Brad Paisley, country music, not sure of the actual titles)
Little Red Corvette (need to find a love that’s gonna last)

any other suggestions? I was gonna say Prince’s Sexy MF, but the base would freak out and it might not be as funny to most other people.

funky chicken on August 12, 2008 at 6:06 PM

Clintons, Clintons
There’s too many of you still scheming and crying
Soldiers, Soldiers, Soldiers
There’s far too many of you dying
You know we’ve got to find a way
To bring some Change here today – Ya

McCain, McCain
We don’t need to escalate
You see, Iraq is not the answer
For only Hope can conquer Muslim hate
You know we’ve got to find a way
To bring some Change here today

Hotair bloggers and Hotair commenters
Don’t punish me with your verbal brutality
Talk to me, so you can see
Oh, what’s going on
What’s going on
Ya, what’s going on
Ah, what’s going on

In the mean time
Just post about John and Rielle and their baby
John and Rielle and their baby
John and Rielle and their baby

Allahpundit, Allahpundit, everything I say you and Ed think is wrong
Oh, but who are you to judge me
Simply because my charisma is long
Oh, you know we’ve got to find a way
To bring some understanding here today
Oh, I’m The One
- The One

MB4 on August 12, 2008 at 6:07 PM

The Ukraine girls really knock me out
They leave the West behind
And Moscow girls make me scream and shout
And Georgia’s always always on my my my my my mind

too bad, missed opportunity

funky chicken on August 12, 2008 at 6:12 PM

/sadly nodding

silverfox on August 12, 2008 at 6:31 PM

I am really distressed to see bho doesn’t have ‘The Devil Went Down to Georgia” by Charlie Daniels on his list. A southern gal, me, loves this.
L

letget on August 12, 2008 at 6:36 PM

Alright, Sinatra fans: how do we forget this travesty of justice? How?

If it’s any consolation, Ol’ Blue Eyes is Mark Steyn’s favorite.

P.S.

jtorres138 on August 12, 2008 at 4:56 PM

I felt the same way. Incidentally, Nina Simone’s cover of “Here Comes the Sun” is great.

emailnuevo on August 12, 2008 at 6:46 PM

No Elvis? How can Obama NOT have Elvis on there??? Heathen.

Maybe Britney Spears is more up his alley.

and “Yes We Can” is an abysmal song. It’s worse than anything sang by the Bee Gees. Ever.

mjk on August 12, 2008 at 6:56 PM

Claypigeon on August 12, 2008 at 6:06 PM

I can’t pull up the video but I understand what you’re saying about buying a vote with a song. Pathetic.

funky chicken on August 12, 2008 at 6:06 PM

I’m Still a Guy is a great tune, and one Barry can never honestly claim to identify with. It’s not a race thing, it a METRO thing.

Brass Pair on August 12, 2008 at 6:57 PM

Joss Stone is set to write and record a campaign song for US Democrat presidential hopeful Barack Obama.

According to The Sun, Stone was asked personally by Obama to write and record the song, which will be the theme song for his election campaign.

Obama is said to favour Stone, a huge star in the USA (she is?! — Ed.), because she has appeal to both black and white US citizens.

The newspaper quotes an anonymous source as saying: “She [Stone] believes he (Obama) is going to be the first black president and she is honoured to be a part of that.”
Barry, Barry, Barry, what are you doing to us? At least make us work to make fun of your campaign; at this point it’s self-satirizing.

I’m surprised you even need a new theme song — I had thought the “Hallelujah chorus” was sufficient. Nevertheless, here are three quick reasons to back off this plan:

1) You can’t keep surrounding yourself with dippy young celebutantes. Even if they’re kinda hot.

2) Joss Stone is British. You couldn’t find an American singer? Well, someone other than Luda.

3) She’s a white female and associating her with your campaign is totally racist. Everyone knows that.

funky chicken on August 12, 2008 at 7:00 PM

funky chicken on August 12, 2008 at 7:00 PM –

If Obama is going to pick a Brit to write his “theme song” why not Amy Winehouse? She has that certain appeal to the lefties on the coast(s).

coldwarrior on August 12, 2008 at 7:59 PM

McCain also selected songs from the Beach Boys,

Do you suppose it was, “Bomb, Bomb, Bomb, Bomb, Bomb Iran”?

Mallard T. Drake on August 12, 2008 at 9:18 PM

“…and Georgia’s always on my mi- mi- mi- mi- mind.”

jgapinoy on August 12, 2008 at 10:52 PM

What about Spirit in the Sky?

Jaibones on August 12, 2008 at 11:28 PM

freevillage on August 12, 2008 at 11:41 PM

Vanceone on August 12, 2008 at 4:51 PM

Ummmm,,,

Taxman

SlimyBill on August 13, 2008 at 1:11 AM

I’m sure its meant in jest, but still…

jimmy the notable on August 12, 2008 at 4:53 PM

I read somewhere years ago that Adolf’s favorite song was “Who’s Afraid Of The Big Bad Wolf” from a Disney cartoon.
HItler was also a vegetarian, a non-smoker, non-drinker and an animal lover, Randy. It was just mankind, Jews in particular that he hated. That would qualify him for membership in PETA.
I get so tired of the conservative/Hitler comparisons.

abcurtis on August 13, 2008 at 8:19 AM

I would think Obamessiah would want this song at the top of his list:
Smoke, Smoke, Smoke That Cigarette by Tex Williams.

Smoke, Smoke, Smoke That Cigarette
Puff, puff, puff and if you puff yourself to death
Tell St Peter at the Golden Gate
That you hate to make him wait,
But you just gotta have another cigarette.

Matter of fact, I think it would make a great campaign theme song for OBH.
Most of you young folk wont be familiar with the song, it’s from the 50′s.

abcurtis on August 13, 2008 at 8:30 AM

Wow I’ve never heard McCain’s #2 Blue Bayou before, what a nice little song.

jimmy the notable on August 12, 2008 at 5:07 PM

Roy Orbison recorded the original, but it was Linda Ronstadt’s version that made me fall in love with her. Too bad she had to go over to the dark side. I liked Linda’s version better than Roy’s because she put her whole heart into it. Roy’s was a little too fast for my liking.
I played bass in a band and we played Blue Bayou. It’s a great song to play bass with. Not many of our female singers could hit those high notes, though.

abcurtis on August 13, 2008 at 9:33 AM

I had to look three times, but was finally able to identify Enrique Murciano. What a major disappointment. I had hoped Andy Garcia’s politics would have rubbed off on it. Man, that sucks.

Glynn on August 13, 2008 at 9:59 AM

What, no “Gimme More”? Britney, do you feel better now about McCain?

leftnomore on August 22, 2008 at 3:47 PM