No way: Creator of dorktastic Obama gesture insists he’s serious

posted at 3:47 pm on August 12, 2008 by Allahpundit

Can’t be. It’s too efficient a goof on Obamamania: Part zero, part prayer gesture, with allusions to goatse and an especially dorky Trek episode tossed in. It’s so perfect a parody that it has to be parody. The alternative is too dreadful to contemplate.

But given some of the excesses of other Obamaphiles, contemplate it we must.

Husong tells me that he was pretty depressed by the reaction to his idea and free design offered on the website of Loyalty Inc., his California creative company. That is until he heard of a fan walking on Venice Beach wearing a T-shirt displaying the artwork. In fact, despite the tsunami of criticism, the artwork has been downloaded 7,700 times and his site has been hit 214,000 times since the first Whisper went live. “I would call that a raving success,” he says, adding that he plans to make his Big-O the “peace sign of our generation.”

He also E-mailed me last night to say that the hits on the artwork have inspired him to push even harder to build a movement around the hand signal. Here’s what he wrote: “Our symbol ‘O’ is about much more than Barack Obama. It’s a symbol of unity, hope, solidarity, and an end to the divisiveness that has plagued this country for too long. It is the peace sign of our generation; a sign for those who are tired of the fear, the hatred, the greed, and the ignorance. There will be resistance, democracy requires it, but we believe that the good in the American people will persevere.

Nothing there that you haven’t heard before, but it’s one thing to say it when you’re married to the Second Coming and another when you’re trying to hawk t-shirts. If it’s for real, I hope it catches on; nothing would drive home the alleged fact of the left’s free-thinkin’, skeptical intellectual superiority like seeing them greet each other with the political equivalent of Robin Williams’s “nanu nanu” gesture from Mork & Mindy. Exit question: This has to be a false flag op by a McCain supporter, right? Conservatives unite for Obama Hand Gesture Truth!

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Hey – just thank heavens nobody mentioned Tubgirl.

uptight on August 12, 2008 at 4:56 PM

I’m just glad no one has mentioned ‘Two girls one cup’ yet..

DaveC on August 12, 2008 at 7:20 PM

oh crap

DaveC on August 12, 2008 at 7:20 PM

E1701 on August 12, 2008 at 4:59 PM

I’m surprised that someone hasn’t suggested burning Ann Coulter’s (or any other right wing author) books at an Obama rally..

DaveC on August 12, 2008 at 7:24 PM

One of my favorite puns comes from my father-in-law. When, for example, he says he would gladly pay $700 for a haircut, he explains the ‘the zeros mean nothing’.

flicker on August 12, 2008 at 8:21 PM

Thank you all so freakin’ much for the introduction to goatse. I am now ready to die.

km on August 12, 2008 at 8:25 PM

km on August 12, 2008 at 8:25 PM

Welcome to the Internet, pal.

:D

Kai on August 12, 2008 at 8:58 PM

I thought the Obamatron salute was the “L” to the forehead.

TexasDan on August 12, 2008 at 9:21 PM

The new peace symbol…the Sphinct-O.

Maquis on August 12, 2008 at 9:25 PM

I’m just glad no one has mentioned ‘Two girls one cup’ yet..

DaveC

or Lemon Party

oops

uptight on August 13, 2008 at 2:39 AM

adding that he plans to make his Big-O the “peace sign of our generation.”

I know what my generation called it and it was far from a peace sign.

abcurtis on August 13, 2008 at 9:38 AM

Looks like a sink hole to me.

MSGTAS on August 13, 2008 at 10:15 AM

uptight on August 13, 2008 at 2:39 AM

memo to self.. do NOT google lemon party..

DaveC on August 13, 2008 at 11:13 AM

asphemer! You know that when the savior is chosen by the masses, lightbulbs will no longer be used, by royal decree.

john1schn on August 12, 2008 at 3:56 PM

Uhhh…no. We’ll all be bathed in his luminesence and won’t need lightbulbs.

soundingboard on August 14, 2008 at 6:20 AM