New ChiCom chicanery: Girl who sang anthem at opening ceremony lip-synced

posted at 12:15 pm on August 12, 2008 by Allahpundit

No big deal? It’s a bigger deal at least than the footprint fireworks graphic was for the simple reason that NBC was duped this time: Not only does Bob Costas identify the girl onscreen as the singer, but you’ll hear Matt Lauer say that the children picked for that segment were all ordinary, average Chinese children. Mighty ironic given the reason the Chinese government decided they need a lip-syncer in this case. Have a look at the side by side photo comparison. Buck teeth at the totalitarian Olympics? Quote: “The child on the screen should be flawless in image, in her internal feelings, and in her expression.”

Click the image to watch — and don’t quit until you hear one of NBC’s broadcasters pay skin-crawling tribute to the Chinese military as guarantors of the people’s security. Exit question: Say, what are Bush and Putin talking about in that rather animated snippet of conversation we see in the cutaway? Hmmm.

Comments

Shocking that Communists would practice fraud and deception.

JammieWearingFool on August 12, 2008 at 12:17 PM

The girl who actually sang it must be crushed. What a bunch of douches there in Beijing.

Mojave Mark on August 12, 2008 at 12:19 PM

Fake but accurate.

I wonder if the ChiComs had some inspiration from Dan Rather and CBS?

Weebork on August 12, 2008 at 12:19 PM

Another obvious whitewash by the fully complicit NBC: “Costas calls the song, “A Hymn to My Country”, while the Telegraph report gives it the real name, “Hymn to the Motherland.”

Its fairly obvious in retrospect considering how rarely the girl singing was even shown on camera.

jimmy the notable on August 12, 2008 at 12:20 PM

80% of American politics, and about 95% of Chinese politics, is pure show biz.

RBMN on August 12, 2008 at 12:21 PM

Ugh, having to watch NBC kowtow (pun intended) to the Chinese on a nightly basis is nauseating.

Bishop on August 12, 2008 at 12:21 PM

Compare this to the way the usually describe the US military.

MarkTheGreat on August 12, 2008 at 12:22 PM

It gave me the creeps to watch this on Opening night, and it still gives me the creeps. I’m wondering exactly what the lyrics to the song this kid wasn’t really singing translate out to. Now THAT would be creepy!

pilamaye on August 12, 2008 at 12:22 PM

I’m not so concerned with this stuff going on in the opening ceremonies. I didn’t watch them, so …

But I do not like the idea that the Chinese are trying to sell, what look like 12-year old female gymnasts, as 16-year olds. I’m against the 16-year old rule, and the Chinese gymnasts are fantastic, but cheating is cheating. I’ve never seen any 16-year olds that looked like them.

progressoverpeace on August 12, 2008 at 12:22 PM

I “Blame it on the Rain”

tomas on August 12, 2008 at 12:22 PM

Bush and Putin. 0:50 – 0:58

Yeah they were talking about that opening drum number alright.

- The Cat

MirCat on August 12, 2008 at 12:24 PM

MirCat on August 12, 2008 at 12:24 PM

I really can’t believe they were sat like right next to each other. This was opening night…when did news of the violence actually break?

jimmy the notable on August 12, 2008 at 12:25 PM

“Fakery is indignant” ~ ~ csdeven

“China is Big” ~ ~ Mr. Bean

Entelechy on August 12, 2008 at 12:25 PM

I haven’t watched a sinle minute of NBChicoms coverage, Fookie them and the host country!

dmann on August 12, 2008 at 12:26 PM

What a shame for the girl not allowed to sing. I am glad I am not watching this sham of an Olympics.

Speaking of that…anyone hear about the allegation that there was cheating by the gymnastic judges? Apparently, an American gymnast had a flawless performance and the Argentinian judge only gave her an 8.5 score.

becki51758 on August 12, 2008 at 12:27 PM

I’ve seen 9-year-olds more developed than those munchkins. I concur there should be no age requirement. Let the best compete.

JammieWearingFool on August 12, 2008 at 12:27 PM

It’s fascinating how Russia, the ‘good’ friend of China, has taken the world attention away from the Olympics and totally toward itself.

Rogue, was, is, and will be.

Entelechy on August 12, 2008 at 12:27 PM

progressoverpeace on August 12, 2008 at 12:22 PM

12? One of em looks like she is 9 or 10 at the most.

lorien1973 on August 12, 2008 at 12:27 PM

I could tell as I watched it, I’m quite suprised its making the news.

infidel2 on August 12, 2008 at 12:27 PM

Hmm…why no protests or rallies? Oh yeah…all dissidents are imprisoned. This is nauseating.

ronsfi on August 12, 2008 at 12:29 PM

dmann on August 12, 2008 at 12:26 PM

+1 – yes, call me dim – it’ll be complimentary.

I work with a flaming liberal who took two weeks of her vacation to watch the socialist/Communist show. She went into histrionics when she asked if I’d watch, and I simply said “No”.

Entelechy on August 12, 2008 at 12:31 PM

Consider who’s doing the reporting and the answer springs to life.

Or at least life imitating art

Kini on August 12, 2008 at 12:31 PM

Ha! Guarantors of the future generations, they only join the military because they can’t get good jobs at Reebok factories.

Ciannaky on August 12, 2008 at 12:31 PM

On another chicom tongue bathing forum that I have now been banned from, they were printing out all the lyrics in chinese and english and gushing over them. But, trust me — they don’t survive the cultural differences.

Blake on August 12, 2008 at 12:31 PM

Blake on August 12, 2008 at 12:32 PM

Blue Screen of Death at the opening ceremony.

Rhinoboy on August 12, 2008 at 12:32 PM

This was opening night…when did news of the violence actually break?

jimmy the notable on August 12, 2008 at 12:25 PM

I’m pretty sure it was during the opening ceremonies. As for the reporting on it, iirc it was right after. You know the State Department/Pentagon would have known right away.

Remember, the Australian Prime Minister talking about it.

I wonder if it were part of the plan to wait until the Georgian leader was out of the country and all others were distracted by the Olympics. (Yeah, I’m questioning the timing)

- The Cat

MirCat on August 12, 2008 at 12:33 PM

Ummm… HELLO!? She’s singing in a stadium without a MICROPHONE – of COURSE it was a recording! The only revelation here is that – gasp – China lied and she wasn’t lip-synching to a recording of her own voice.

This and other stories in the latest issue of DUH Magazine.

playblu on August 12, 2008 at 12:33 PM

New ChiCom chicanery: Girl who sang anthem at opening ceremony lip-synced

Mini Milli Vanilli Makes Musical Mockery…

elgeneralisimo on August 12, 2008 at 12:34 PM

JammieWearingFool on August 12, 2008 at 12:27 PM
lorien1973 on August 12, 2008 at 12:27 PM

Heh. I was giving them the benefit of the doubt.

The last time I saw cheating this blatant by the home team was at Seoul.

progressoverpeace on August 12, 2008 at 12:35 PM

Do you think the absence of a microphone should have tipped off Costas and Laaauuuer that the girl wasn’t really singing?

Labamigo on August 12, 2008 at 12:35 PM

Hey, anyone heard from the commenter who’s been living in China for a while?

- The Cat

P.S. I could be wrong and the person used to live in China

MirCat on August 12, 2008 at 12:37 PM

Blue Screen of Death at the opening ceremony.

Rhinoboy on August 12, 2008 at 12:32 PM

Well, I guess the ChiComs didn’t fake THAT in there…

JetBoy on August 12, 2008 at 12:43 PM

JammieWearingFool on August 12, 2008 at 12:27 PM
lorien1973 on August 12, 2008 at 12:27 PM
progressoverpeace on August 12, 2008 at 12:35 PM

I thought it was just me! It DID seem rather one sided—degree of difficulty aside, the last US routine on the pommel was spectactular and only received a middle of the road score…Is there a link anywhere to these complaints. I’m pretty sure NBC isn’t being allowed to comment, even if they wanted to.

dish on August 12, 2008 at 12:44 PM

The NBC coverage is all ga-ga over how wonderfully happy the population is under Communism.

“How do you tell a Communist? Well, it’s someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It’s someone who understands Marx and Lenin.” —Ronald Reagan

kirkill on August 12, 2008 at 12:44 PM

dish on August 12, 2008 at 12:44 PM

Costas interviewed a former coach of the american team and he felt that the judging was more biased now than in previous years.

Personally, I think that any competition based upon someone’s opinion – no empirical score such as a goal – is not a real competition anyways. Who wins is just a matter of opinion and mood.

lorien1973 on August 12, 2008 at 12:47 PM

jimmy the notable on August 12, 2008 at 12:25 PM

Remember that the Bush family relationship with China goes way back to the 70s. Bush may have arranged to have Putin seated next to him so they could have a nice frank discussion.

I thought from the body language that Putin was pretty shocked, and Bush was ready to spring.

I’m gonna call that Bush 1, Putin 0. I also think it was a subtle way for the ChiComs to let Putin know that they don’t have his back in Georgia.

but I’m just a housewife

funky chicken on August 12, 2008 at 12:47 PM

lorien1973 on August 12, 2008 at 12:47 PM

That was Bela Kor-something. He was the coach of the girls in ’84 (I think). His wife is the US coach and he’s worried about the scoring in the women’s event. Frankly, even NBC has said that China WILL NOT lose Olympic gold in gymnastics, and I think they will do whatever it takes. Shame. I agree with the ‘artistic impression’ type scoring. It needs to go away.

dish on August 12, 2008 at 12:52 PM

Bishop on August 12, 2008 at 12:21 PM

Bob Costas interviewed Bush on Sunday night and asked Bush some pointed questions about dialogue with Chinese leaders over making the country more open and press-friendly and so forth. So, I guess they get kudos there. But the whole thing is a mess.

I even saw an interview with a Daily Show guy who Jon “Comrade” Stewart sent over to China to report on the Olympics. He said there were police around them constantly and that the locals fled when they’d approach to ask questions, so fearful they were of the police state.

Outlander on August 12, 2008 at 12:54 PM

The ass-kissing of Communism, by the American networks who televise the olympics, has gone on for decades.

I’ll never forget how Jim McCay was always frothing-at-the-mouth about how Olga Korbut [sp] was “every American boy’s dream-girl.” It made me sick in ’72, and it sickens me now.

And, nothing has changed. For the American networks, if it has anything to do with Communism, it is a good thing.

P.S. I was watching the long-distance cycling on Saturday and Sunday and, as the course closed in on Tiananmen Square, nothing was ever mentioned about the massacre of students. Nothing was ever mentioned about the blood-bath. And, of course, there was no mention of the Great Leap Forward [and the millions who were exterminated] or of the Cultural Revolution [and the millions who went to the Gulag].

Nope – NOTHING WAS EVER MENTIONED.

P.P.S. Now that Russia has invaded Georgia, shouldn’t Moscow get the next olympics?

OhEssYouCowboys on August 12, 2008 at 12:55 PM

lorien1973 on August 12, 2008 at 12:47 PM

The NBC commentators at one point argued that there is a “home team advantage” caused by the crowd cheering more loudly for the home country rather than other countries. To my knowledge, the Chicoms do not pick the judges. Frankly, the Chinese athletes are, to my untrained eye, getting the freaking job done and our guys just aren’t.

Outlander on August 12, 2008 at 12:56 PM

Outlander on August 12, 2008 at 12:56 PM

It’s amazing what you can do when you take a kid away from his family and force him to do something for 14 years and do nothing else. They get pretty good at it.

I agree, the Chinese are excellent in gymnastics. But the “why and how” they are good interest me, more.

lorien1973 on August 12, 2008 at 12:58 PM

anybody have a clip of Milli Vanilli?…

ocbrat on August 12, 2008 at 1:00 PM

[lorien1973 on August 12, 2008 at 12:47 PM]

I know Bela Karolyi criticized the judging system, though I can’t remember whether he said the old sysem was better. I kind of favor the new system but what do I know about either.

Someone, I don’t know whether it was Karolyi, comlained they spent too much time watching instant replays and having one guy hovering over everyone, but just about anything you do is going to have criticism and potential for corruption.

The bottom line for me is the more judges you have scoring, while throwing out the extreme scores, is the bet way to minimize the problems.

Dusty on August 12, 2008 at 1:00 PM

I work with a flaming liberal

Entelechy on August 12, 2008 at 12:31 PM

I share your pain! I get the simplistic “its about the athletes not the politics” and “the Chinese are wonderful people” from the career dhimmicrates entrenched at my employer. Sadly, when I bring up the Chicoms history these dolts shriek “that’s the past, we have to move-on”, heaven help us if these folks pervail in November!

dmann on August 12, 2008 at 1:02 PM

lorien1973 on August 12, 2008 at 12:58 PM

I’ve always objected to an Olympic competition of unequal competitors, those who compete as private individuals or groups, versus those who’re state sponsored, i.e. the Romanian gymnasts of yesteryear, the East German and Russian skaters, the Chinese gymnasts, etc. Not only are they funded differently, but the fear factor and other sacrifices and ‘carrots’ are incredible, and not discussed.

Entelechy on August 12, 2008 at 1:02 PM

I must have a strange sense of beauty…. I thought the girl who sang the song was more adorable than the phony one…… Guess I have to be Chinese to understand. Or believe in militaristic Marxist regimes.

MNDavenotPC on August 12, 2008 at 1:03 PM

I kind of favor the new system but what do I know about either.

Dusty on August 12, 2008 at 1:00 PM

The old system was biased against including more than an average amount of difficulty in the routines. The new system seems better, but they need to list the score limit as the events are starting and maybe list the tricks and difficulties, too. Like in diving.

progressoverpeace on August 12, 2008 at 1:05 PM

OhEssYouCowboys on August 12, 2008 at 12:55 PM

Well said. The networks are in love with all things Communistic, but why should be be surprised when we see communist worshiping at the alter of Communism?

Maxx on August 12, 2008 at 1:05 PM

Totalitarian systems have always taken the children away from their parents, in the service of the State.

The Hitler Youth and the Young Pioneers.

It’s still happening. I guess, though, that any female baby that gets past birth, in China, is already blessed. In their minds, I suppose that serving the State is better than being buried alive or drowned upon birth.

OhEssYouCowboys on August 12, 2008 at 1:06 PM

Dusty on August 12, 2008 at 1:00 PM

I thought I remember him saying that the new system is more subjective. I figured that it implied he liked the old system better. He didn’t seem happy at all with the current judging.

lorien1973 on August 12, 2008 at 1:08 PM

My understanding is that the National Anthems sung at many American sporting events are pre-recorded by the singer and then lip-synced for a number of reasons, one of them being timing events (fireworks, jet fly-overs, etc) to coincide with specific portions of the song that would be off if the singer was slower or faster than expected in a live performance. No one has ever mentioned Roseanne Barr, but I’d guess it’s a factor….

ErikTheRed on August 12, 2008 at 1:09 PM

Dusty on August 12, 2008 at 1:00 PM

Thank you–that was his name! It seemed, more than just ‘home field advantage’ especially comparing the scores on the high bar—-the Chinese executed very well, but the degree of difficulty was VERY low compared to the US–who scored approximately the same. The Chinese definitely deserved the gold, they are currently untouchable, but there was some disparity in the scoring.

When a government takes a child from home to ‘train’ them in a sport, and doing well means Mom and Dad get extra portions of food and access to medical care is beyond barbaric–and I’m sure how communist countries get their medal count. Sad.

dish on August 12, 2008 at 1:13 PM

I’ve been watching because I want my kids to see the sports and how hard the athletes work and so on. But man, it’s hard to listen to the announcers gush. I don’t expect them to make rude comments about the Chinese gov’t, but the gushing is not appreciated.

MamaAJ on August 12, 2008 at 1:14 PM

[lorien1973 on August 12, 2008 at 1:08 PM]

LOL. I couldn’t tell where he ended up. I had trouble hearing him because NBC forgot to give him a mike and he sound like he was talking in a tin box and his heavy accent didn’t help.
—-

[progressoverpeace on August 12, 2008 at 1:05 PM]

Yeah, NBC, acts like all the viewers are experts on these events and don’t need to tell us anything of use, except “wow, this team is good” and their experts saying “I’ve studied this team and wow, they are good.”

To the uninitiated, the Chinese team didn’t look great because they often messed up their landings but if you know the degree of difficulty is unbelievably high and they did thse everything else flawlessly you realize why they get such good scores. By the same token, the Americans on the parallel bars did absolutely everthing right (everyone in the stadium was cheering them), but their degrees of difficulty were a little less and so their scores were less than people expected when they are just comparing final numbers.

Dusty on August 12, 2008 at 1:21 PM

I was rolling on the floor when they said that. I shouted out at the TV that the military was ‘the guarantor of totalitarian communist dictatorship though force of arms’, which is almost as poetic and much more accurate.
As far as the singer, I think the actual singer was just as cute, and clearly more authentic. So typical of the Chinese to hide the truth under a thin veneer.

Think_b4_speaking on August 12, 2008 at 1:32 PM

[dish on August 12, 2008 at 1:13 PM]

Well, dish, maybe they get something extra, but the Chinese provide everyone with medical care, free, as best they can. it might be a poorer quality in the sticks but it’s kind of like that here.

As for the Chinese “taking” kids, the Chinese are different than we are in what they feel is important. These kids’ parents want to make sure their kids get the best opportunity to achieve success and having something better than what they have. If there is a chance for their child to succeed they’ll send them away from home to do so, whether to boarding school, music school, olympic training school, etc, they do it if they can. It’s not the government, per se, it is the parents and the overall culture. Doing so at the age of 3 might be a little extreme, but the pressure is on — there are millions competing for those small number of slot just to get the chance to be in the even smaller group who are deemed talented enough. With 1.3B people, it’s sink or swim in life. There is no time for friviloties like “family time”. It’s changing ever so slowly though.

Dusty on August 12, 2008 at 1:37 PM

What’s gonna happen to this guy for admitting the truth and making the ChiComs look bad? I hope he survives his fit of honesty.

aero on August 12, 2008 at 1:40 PM

Think_b4_speaking on August 12, 2008 at 1:32 PM

Exactly. And who are the brave chinese military defending the people against?

The hoards of Falun Gong members who conspire to take over the government?

Hundreds of millions of Tibetans who want to crush all resistance to their brutal rule of china?

Maybe the Taiwanese people threaten china’s very existence, and the people of china would be snuffed out in an instant if it weren’t for the brave chinese military ever vigilance on the eastern walls facing the ocean for the eventual invasion from the island nation aggressor.

I didn’t catch that live, but after watching that clip – it immediately turns my stomach. And the journalists and broadcasters have claimed that there aren’t any chinese minders following them, and that they should dismiss any US claim that their rooms being bugged to US paranoia(I had actually heard that comment on NPR.)

Certainly seems that the Chinese government seems happy with the coverage such as the above quote. Before the gymnastics and swimming events I saw last night, the NBC graphics had all sorts of pro-communist china images with words like Mao and revolution or whatnot mixed in with the animation. Again, the government must be so very pleased.

wise_man on August 12, 2008 at 1:42 PM

Compare this to the way the usually describe the US military.

MarkTheGreat on August 12, 2008 at 12:22 PM

Imagine what they would have said had the olympics been here and the US military participated in the opening ceremonies. NBC would have probably had Olbermann and Matthews instead of Costas.

Rick on August 12, 2008 at 1:45 PM

Dusty on August 12, 2008 at 1:37 PM

I understand the concept, it’s just so alien to me…

Call me naive, but one reason I enjoy watching our athletes do so well is in showing these cultures that there ARE other options that can work and still allow for excellence.

dish on August 12, 2008 at 1:49 PM

She has a microphone clipped to the collar of her dress.

Police and what some whackjob called “patriotic volunteers.” When I pointed out on another forum they were police informants and don’t be so fkn naive, I got bounced.

Blake on August 12, 2008 at 1:52 PM

I certainly hope that Oprah, or someone, sends an orthodontist to China to make sure that the beautiful little girl who really did sing will not be kept from performing in full view when those braces come off. That’s about all we can hope for from a capitalistic, atheistic communist regime. Creepy too.

Christine on August 12, 2008 at 1:52 PM

[Think_b4_speaking on August 12, 2008 at 1:32 PM]

b4, the national anthem is March of the Volunteers. It was written in 1935, around the time of the fall of dynasties and the rise of the Republic via Sun Yet Sen, in response to the tyranny of the occupation by Japan and Western Powers, not to mention their loss to the Japanese in the first Sino-Japanese War and suffering disgrace in havng to agree with Russian territorial demands before that. It became the “Battle Hymn of the Republic” when the Chinese were invaded in 1937 by the Japanese.

The lyrics were butchered by the ChiComs to tout Mao thinking but it wasn’t the national anthem, IIRC. The lyrics now are the original ones and it was codified as the National Anthem in the constitution in 2004.

Yeah, the view of the military representing ChiCom history is easy for us but it means more to the Chinese than Communism. It’s too bad the Chinese finally won their independence of outside influence, occupation and warlordism via Mao. It should have been Chiang so our view of the military stagecraft would’t be so vituperative. I would have liked that immensely, but it wasn’t and nothing will change that now.

Dusty on August 12, 2008 at 1:58 PM

I saw just a bit of the parade of athletes and did not watch the singing part mentioned, but I do feel sorry for the little one and her parents. She needs to immigrate here, become a citizen and make boat loads of dollars singing.

2008 Peking or 1936 Berlin? Who can tell?

Outside of the parade of athletes I’d rather watch paint dry, or if none is wet within walking distance then soccer, than the Olympics.

jimmy the notable on August 12, 2008 at 12:25 PM

but I’m just a housewife

funky chicken on August 12, 2008 at 12:47 PM

Funky Chicken:
I tend to agree with you. Marshaling forces close to a border and getting a large number of units ready for combat are not things that can be easily masked these days and the Russians may have been betting on us not paying too much attention to that part of the world. Bush may have just said nothing more than. “Have you tried the mongolian beef at the Happy Dragon? So what is your 58th Army up to these days?”.

Bubba Redneck on August 12, 2008 at 2:02 PM

The Olympics? LOL… ok.

DaveS on August 12, 2008 at 2:03 PM

I dont care about the lip-synching, but why is the ChiCom military in the Opening Ceremonies?

faraway on August 12, 2008 at 2:10 PM

[dish on August 12, 2008 at 1:49 PM]

I agree with you in all you say here. My wife is Chinese. She and her ex used to spend the big bucks to board her son at the best of schools just to give him that leg up when they were in China. It’s been acculturated by her son and now that he’s in college here, the pull to come home that we grow up with is not as great, though he calls everyday. She misses him dearly when he is gone but always explains it away because he will go far now and learn how to make it in the world alone.

I can’t say it is tougher for me than for her, but if it was my decision he’d be home much more often because, as you say, it is alien to me.

Dusty on August 12, 2008 at 2:13 PM

And…

… I don’t care if the girl lip synced.

This does not change my view of the world, my station in life, my perception of the Olympics, or my view of China’s totalitarianism.

Lawrence on August 12, 2008 at 2:16 PM

Blue Screen of Death at the opening ceremony.

Rhinoboy on August 12, 2008 at 12:32 PM

That is freakin’ hilarious.

Django on August 12, 2008 at 2:24 PM

I see the U.S. military still lags the rest of the world by decades in goose-stepping.

benjamin on August 12, 2008 at 2:24 PM

My MIL will be crushed to find out this was fake. I love the woman, but she just laughed when I told her she should not watch the Olympics because the Chinese do not deserve the honor of being hosts. She doesn’t understand the brutality of the regime (she thinks the reports are exagerated on the news). I support our athletes, but the Olympics stopped being about sports a long time ago.

Poor little girl, that actually sang. Somebody smuggle that family out in their luggage or something.

Anna on August 12, 2008 at 2:38 PM

Why the heck is this even news or worthy of talking about when it seems 1/2 of performers lip sync in stadiums. Ever watch a Superbowl halftime show? This is now starting to get ridiculous on what the media feels is important to report about the Olympics and it is sad that they are ignoring many athletes to do non-stories like this instead.

JeffinSac on August 12, 2008 at 2:42 PM

Tell me again what the purpose of the Olympics again?

For altheltes to come together and compete, may the best man/woman/child win.

For all the fakery and mockery generated, Olympics has not served its original intended purpose.

Sir Napsalot on August 12, 2008 at 2:48 PM

Interesting that the Chinese in all of their glory feel the compulsion internationally to imitate the West musically.

That “Chinese folk hymn” is constructed of Western melodic quotations and harmonic progressions.

From headlines, I noted those Chinese bloggers critical of the Opening Pageantry denouncing the Director’s omission of China’s modernity, idealizing instead China’s past. Would then the Western musical traditions mimic placate or antagonize those critics–is “modern China” a Western phenomena after all?

maverick muse on August 12, 2008 at 3:27 PM

Okay, it was a charade. But those kids sure were cute. And imagine the Georgian and Russian athletes hugging one another after a competition. You can’t fake that.

Try and tell me THAT wasn’t it’s “original intended purpose.”

manwithblackhat on August 12, 2008 at 4:18 PM

The Potemkin Olympics

Did any right thinking person think it would be any other way? I’m surprised this actually came out in the open – what’s going to happen to the whistle-blower?

JeffWeimer on August 12, 2008 at 5:07 PM

hate to tell you this, but almost EVERY singing of the National Anthem at big events is lip-synched, at least the ones I have been involved in producing, which are many.

wordwarp on August 12, 2008 at 5:30 PM

National Bureau of Communism

Johan Klaus on August 12, 2008 at 5:41 PM

The girl who actually sang it must be was crushed

Fixed it for you.

catmman on August 12, 2008 at 6:04 PM

I was really impressed by the “goose-stepping” soldiers
toward the end of the video.

gary on August 12, 2008 at 6:55 PM

1) oh no, they have a song praising their country!!!! how awful, america would never be so silly as to do something like that.

2) how do you think 90% of performances in america are staged? and what do you think drives them? how do you think britney spears or lindsey lohan or countless others ever got a singing career? yes, it is a little different if they are lip syncing their own songs, but not much. they are celebrated because of their appearance. period.

3) i live in china, so maybe i am getting a skewed perspective and need to get home sooner rather than later. but the government aside, the people here that i meet seem a lot happier than the people i meet in america (granted, i lived all of my life on the coasts surrounded by liberals who can be pretty bitter). that does not mean they don’t want things or their lives are perfect or better. but i am a smiler. i like to smile at and to people. in america, i am just as likely to get a frown or a questioning look or a scowl in response as another smile. but in china, i always get a smile. i am not sure what that means, but it might mean something (this sounds like a flippant and silly thing, but i am seriously trying to figure out its deeper meaning – lots of time on my hands…..).

4) i was flying on a domestic flight and they had an article about the beauty pageant they held for their new batch of stewardesses (no, not a dude in the bunch – so not flight attendant). yup, they are pretty up front in this country about appreciating and rewarding beauty in places people might like to see beauty. sounds good to me as oppposed to all the pretend blindness to beauty we are supposed to have in america.

so they got the cutest girl and the best singer to combine for the ‘best’ show. it is only in our own particular kind of brainwash (and culture brainwashes us all – it is just for us to determine which is the good kind of wash and which is the bad and try our best to overcome the bad), that we think how horrible that girl must feel, because in america we teach pity and victimization and how we must feel awful at even the slightest injuctice. maybe in china they just teach beauty is beauty, appreciate it, and the girl feels good that she got to sing at such a big event.

i openly admit to not really having things figured out for myself yet on china, so i am open to being universally corrected in my mistakes.

cheers!

truecon on August 12, 2008 at 7:37 PM

I openly admit to not really having things figured out for myself yet on china, so i am open to being universally corrected in my mistakes.

cheers!

truecon on August 12, 2008 at 7:37 PM

Funny how you haven’t figure out China, yet you seem to have America all sewed up in your mind.

The problem isn’t that the girl lip synched the song; it’s WHY she lipped synched it! Because the STATE wanted to put forth a pretty face. The original singer did not represent what the STATE felt was a “true representation” of China.

Do you get it now?

And did you know the ChiComs contracted the son of Albert Speer for their Olympic architecture? Nothing like keeping the old and new traditions of totalitarianism alive huh?

Moral and political relativism…aren’t they great?

catmman on August 12, 2008 at 7:50 PM

After kissing Obama’s buns all summer, & now kissing commie lower cheeks, NBC’s lips have got to be worn out.

jgapinoy on August 12, 2008 at 10:22 PM

I used to live in China, but I’m not sure if I’m the one that you are talking about.

Theophile on August 13, 2008 at 5:17 AM