McCain: “Today, we are all Georgians”; Update: Majority prefers McCain to handle similar crisis, 51/36; Update: Georgians “roar” over McCain speech?

posted at 2:30 pm on August 12, 2008 by Allahpundit

Not true, as a tour around the blogosphere will quickly reveal, but the fact that he’s wrong doesn’t detract from the nobility of the sentiment (as was also true of Le Monde’s famous statement of solidarity on 9/11). Having outflanked Obama on the conflict, he’s reaching for a Reaganesque moment here; considering how few downsides there are in this case to taking a hawkish stance, I’m surprised Barry O didn’t seize the moment from the beginning to talk tough and earn a few C-in-C points with centrists. Too late now.

For your companion reading, try Leon Wieseltier out-Hitchensing Hitchens in a short but withering response at TNR to American liberals who’d rather wring their hands about McCain starting a Cold War than about the would-be tsar waging hot war outside Tbilisi. Takeaway: “Putin champions a particular vision of Russia and a particular vision of Russia in the world. That vision is indigenous to himself and to the political culture over which he presides. It is a primary fact of the contemporary world. Not even the presidency of Barack Obama will rid him of it. You see, he does not wish to be rid of it.” Click the image to watch.

Update: Like I said, I’m surprised Obama got caught napping here. The data is unforgiving:

Just over half (51%) also believe that John McCain is the best equipped of the two major presidential candidates to handle a similar crisis in the future, while 36% believe Barack Obama is the better of the two to deal with this kind of situation…

Women are more concerned than men over the Russia-Georgia situation. Sixty-three percent (63%) of women regard it as at least a somewhat serious threat to U.S. national security versus 54% of men who feel that way. Women also have more confidence in Obama to deal with a similar crisis than men do. Men prefer McCain to Obama in such a situation 56% to 30%, but 40% of women think Obama could handle it best. More women (46%), however, still think McCain is the man for the job…

Although 85% of Republicans believe McCain is the better of the two presidential candidates to handle a similar crisis in the future, only 61% of Democrats feel that way about Obama. More than one-out-of-five Democrats (22%) think the Republican presidential candidate would handle it better than the prospective candidate of their own party. Only 8% of GOP voters favor Obama over McCain in such a situation. Among unaffiliated voters, 56% prefer McCain while 28% like Obama better.

Update: Just passing it along: “Also an interesting detail on CNN a moment ago: At a rally in Tbilisi today, Georgians ‘roared’ when their president, Mikhil Saakashvili, repeated John McCain’s statement, ‘We are all Georgians today.’”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Seek help. You’re spewing childish stuff.

baldilocks on August 12, 2008 at 9:42 PM

One of the personalities [none of which is very personable] is an evolutionist and is dealing with the angst of realizing that his/her/its existence has no more meaning than whale poop.)

davidk on August 12, 2008 at 8:34 PM

Oh dear God, not another ID/creationist unbeliever hating crackpot.

MB4 on August 12, 2008 at 9:43 PM

Dude, you’re coming apart, flailing all around. See help.

baldilocks on August 12, 2008 at 9:41 PM

That’s what you resort to when you’re losing the debate — name-calling and ad hominem attacks.
- Michelle Malkin

BTW, all my rounds have hit the targeted coordinates. I aced FDC.

MB4 on August 12, 2008 at 9:46 PM

Squid Shark on August 12, 2008 at 9:19 PM

Remember what happened to the USS Caron (DD-970) and USS Yorktown (CG-48) in the Black Sea around 1988? Both ships were rammed by a Soviet frigate.

USN presence in the Black Sea is not needed for this crises. However, there are ways to get our message across to the Black Sea Fleet. Note that the Ukraine is exploiting to the full international laws on neutrality and belligerent ships.

We don’t need a B-52 loaded out with Harpoon just flying by. How about “somehow” simulating multiple Harpoon seeker heads lighting off. Fun for everyone.

NaCly dog on August 12, 2008 at 9:53 PM

MB4 on August 12, 2008 at 9:46 PM

I called you a “flailing?” (Pssst. In order for something to be an attack, it must be done intentionally to your detriment and implicit in the phrase “ad hominem” is name-calling.)

baldilocks on August 12, 2008 at 9:53 PM

NaCly dog on August 12, 2008 at 9:27 PM

I believe we would be able to work something out if we were working for NATO.

Squid Shark on August 12, 2008 at 9:53 PM

BTW, all my rounds have hit the targeted coordinates. I aced FDC.

MB4 on August 12, 2008 at 9:46 PM

To what purpose?

baldilocks on August 12, 2008 at 9:53 PM

Seek help

Against only a few very unchallenging opponents, I don’t need any help, but thanks anyway.

You’re spewing childish stuff.

baldilocks on August 12, 2008 at 9:42 PM

Always use the proper tool for the proper task.

MB4 on August 12, 2008 at 9:54 PM

NaCly dog on August 12, 2008 at 9:53 PM

The Black Sea fleet is not what it used to be.

I had the pleasure of seeing them up close recently.

Squid Shark on August 12, 2008 at 9:55 PM

To what purpose?

baldilocks on August 12, 2008 at 9:53 PM

Purpose? Practice, although I certainly do need a bigger challenge.

MB4 on August 12, 2008 at 9:57 PM

MBR, you’re not hitting any targets; you’re lashing out at people and looking…under-medicated.

You’re a Vietnam Vet, right? My step-father’s age.

baldilocks on August 12, 2008 at 9:57 PM

I wish I could type. MB4

baldilocks on August 12, 2008 at 9:58 PM

Did any of this do the Georgians any good in fighting the Russians?
MB4 on August 12, 2008 at 3:06 PM

Not really. Talk is cheap, and American leaders have become famous for it. We talk big, but really, when was the last time we finished a fight involving us?

And if I remember correctly Ronald Reagan spent the Soviet Union into the bankruptcy, he did not fight them in a military confrontation.
Terrye on August 12, 2008 at 5:13 PM

Not necessarily so. You forget that “fighting” does not only imply fists, tanks, bullets and planes. There are different levels of warfare, different types of warfare, and both kinetic (direct, indirect and aerial fires- things that go bang) and non-kinetic (psychological operations, information operations, electronic warfare, civil affairs, many of the tenets of special operations, etc.) actions that can be used against an enemy.
I’d like to ask a question about the Russian invasion of Georgia: Do people not want to engage the Russians out of fear or principle? If it is fear that stops you, then fear not. I’ll go in your stead.

Send_Me on August 12, 2008 at 10:01 PM

Squid Shark on August 12, 2008 at 9:55 PM

Agree that the Russian Fleet is a shell today. But there are better and more subtle ways to make our presence known. Think weight limits of UAVs and unusual loadouts.

Russians have powers under the Montreux Convention. Turkey may not overrule them. Why give the Russians a heads-up?

NaCly dog on August 12, 2008 at 10:03 PM

Squid Shark on August 12, 2008 at 9:55 PM

Enjoyed the chat. You are definitely in the signal part of the signal/noise ratio in this thread.

Looking forward to you future posts, or I might post on your blog –tomorrow,

NaCly dog on August 12, 2008 at 10:09 PM

MBR, you’re not hitting any targets;

Then how come I hear so much squealing by some and there is so much scurrying around by some. No question mark as that was a rhetorical question.

you’re lashing out at people

I only respond back to those who personally lash out at me (although I probably shouldn’t waste my time on them). If you haven’t noticed that then you are not very observant. I on the other hand was trained as an FO.

and looking…under-medicated.

- Michelle Malkin

You’re a Vietnam Vet, right?

Not according to some here who think that I just made that up.

My step-father’s age.

baldilocks on August 12, 2008 at 9:57 PM

Well unless your step-father is a hell of a lot younger than Juan McCain, then no.

BTW, don’t you have an actual husband to harass either?

MB4 on August 12, 2008 at 10:10 PM

Good grief. Can we get back to the topic at hand and forget the petty competition of insults? This is getting pretty silly.

Send_Me on August 12, 2008 at 10:19 PM

Yeah, this is the problem with these boards and with free speech in general. It’s like having a taught discussion in your living room but part of the deal is that everyone can just walk in. The first amendment protects crazies who stand on the street corner shouting at passers-by.

I’m not sure how these boards are supposed to work, but my impression is that half of all comments on this board are to some degree erroneous or inaccurate, a quarter are worth the time to read and a quarter are blather. Here is the kind of thoughtful comments found in the first three postings from some of today’s Blogs:

Burn baby, burn!
Obama is the same old,same old Washington pig.
What an as*hole.
The girl who actually sang it must be crushed. What a bunch of douches there in Beijing.
Conservative women are hotter.

And the quality of MB4’s comments is not much worse.

flicker on August 12, 2008 at 10:40 PM

So BO gets the Europe “vote”, but McCain gets the support of Georgia.

jgapinoy on August 12, 2008 at 10:41 PM

Damn. This used to be a pretty well-respected site. AP and Ed have obviously been drinking.

wccawa on August 12, 2008 at 10:41 PM

Thread death occurred at 10:45pm EDT.

wccawa on August 12, 2008 at 10:47 PM

wccawa on August 12, 2008 at 10:41 PM

Have any recommendations for other “well-respected” sites?

Send_Me on August 12, 2008 at 10:53 PM

BTW, don’t you have an actual husband to harass either?

Oops. I just read MB4′s last comment. I take it all back.

flicker on August 12, 2008 at 10:58 PM

We’re having enough trouble keeping Democracy afloat as it is, without your “brilliant” ideas to snuff it out. Cappice?

If you still disagree, well…maybe someone could notify your friends & family that’s it’s not necessary or important to come to your aid the next time someone bullies, harrasses, or stalks you…because it’s “not their fight”, right?

Miss_Anthrope on August 12, 2008 at 6:05 PM

You do realize, of course, that Russia and Iran are both ‘democracies’. Cappice?

Nobody has EVER fought a battle for me, and I don’t expect them to. I’m not a minority victim like the rest of the world according to America.

If we allowed Communism, Jihadism, or any other -ism to spread throughout the world, because we’ve “never been invaded”, then we’d be surrounded by now.

I don’t know if you’ve noticed, but America has lots of communist tendencies. Medicare, Social Security, Medicaid, Bear Stearns bail-out, Freddie Mac, Fannie Mae, Housing Bail out, Oil ‘windfall profits’ tax.

And as for Jihadism, that’s coming in the form of creeping sharia in America.

You must be one of the Catholics I’ve offended with my comments concerning their Church doctrine that I disagree with. I’m sorry I hurt your feelings. . . maybe you can get a big bad ole government organization to come to your aide to protect you from my evilness.

ThackerAgency on August 12, 2008 at 11:02 PM

Send_Me on August 12, 2008 at 10:01 PM

With me, it isn’t fear, it is waste. We are not the world’s police force. . . at least I don’t want my tax dollars used for that purpose. I know our military can crush any opposition in the field of battle. The problem is that we wage war idiotically. No real purpose, no real goal, handcuffs on us but not the enemy. It’s just a waste.

There has not been a military conflict since WWII that has helped this country. That isn’t a comment about our military, but telling your enemy that you are going to fight YEARS before you attack (Iraq) is dumb. Telling your enemy that you aren’t going to go over a line (Afghanistan, Vietnam) is dumb. Not taking and holding territory for fear of making the locals mad at you (Iraq) is dumb.

When our military is given a job, they do the best they can. But when the idiots in Washington debate whether or not ‘the war is lost’, and call the honorable military General a ‘traitor’, I can’t support putting troops in harms way with such idiotic ‘leadership’ in DC.

ThackerAgency on August 12, 2008 at 11:08 PM

Putin/Russia has done McCain a favor for the general election. I already believed that McCain is the best an most qualified candidate to deal with our national security. The US economic leg down is now starting to ripple throughout the rest of the world economies.

So far we haven’t gone down the road of Smoot-Hawley to try and protect ourselves from the downturn, but the parallels between this age and the boom/bust/world war of the middle 19th century are eerie. We need a US president with the national security pedigree of a John McCain to guide our country through these times so that we don’t repeat the disastrous mistakes of the 20th century.

BryanS on August 12, 2008 at 11:12 PM

The only way to end wars and get the world to do what we want is to conquer them. Until we figure that out, we are just wasting our time and we will continue to repeat the mistakes of the 20th century. I personally would prefer not forcing the world to bend to our desires. . . but if we are going to waste our money and resources, we should get something for our efforts besides national debt.

Our enemies look at Germany and Japan and say. . . wow, America defeated them? They look like they are doing OK to me. So America beating us can’t be so bad. . . we have nothing to lose, and if we do. . . we’ll be in good shape like Japan and Germany thanks to the American reconstruction dollar. America will build back everything they destroy and more.

ThackerAgency on August 12, 2008 at 11:18 PM

ThackerAgency on August 12, 2008 at 11:08 PM

Fair enough. I actually agree with your assessment that if we’re not going to try winning, then we shouldn’t fight (my comments from yesterday.)
Something I’ve noticed though: no one messes with Russia. Why is that? Perhaps because Russia has convinced everyone that they will put a whoopin’ on them. No one fears the United States anymore. Sure, they know we could, but, well, we… won’t. For this reason, I really do wish for a leader with some grit and backbone, but that’s asking a lot of a politician.
I agree that the United States is not a “police force” for the world. However, we cannot neglect our interests throughout the world. We must have allies, not only in nations, but in the minds of freedom-loving people around the world. Our conflicts with Russia, China, Iran, North Korea, Venezuela, etc. will not be solved by force of arms, though we must be strong. Our strength provides a vital form of leverage. More so than that is our ability to affect the human terrain of the world, which requires more than tanks, bullets, and planes. I’m not talking “hearts and minds”, but rather fear, trust, and respect. If we can embolden freedom-fighters throughout the world, especially in the aforementioned countries, then we won’t have to fight. These people will do the fighting for us and themselves. They just need support, in arms, training, advice, and money. If we can build trust among our allied nations, they will do the same in supporting these efforts. If we are strong enough, then we will strike fear in those who prey upon the fearful. This is how wars need to be fought, but politicians rarely understand this.

Send_Me on August 12, 2008 at 11:42 PM

I hate to say that most women I meet, especially in my own generation, are totally ignorant and surprisingly moronic.

But then you have to meet their mom’s as well.

upinak on August 12, 2008 at 11:44 PM

Somewhat related: I like Farah’s analysis here.

Send_Me on August 12, 2008 at 11:49 PM

Like I said, I’m surprised Obama got caught napping here.

The One is on vacation he can not be bothered with things like this .

Mojack420 on August 13, 2008 at 12:47 AM

Obama is on vacation in Hawai’i, on O’Ahu, tonight the democrat legislators are throwing him a $6-figure party along with some hollywood types attending – his constituents you know.

While the press fawns over him and his family, distractions like the Georgian Russian conflict is just that – a distraction

Kini on August 13, 2008 at 12:56 AM

ThackerAgency on August 12, 2008 at 11:08 PM

Send_Me on August 12, 2008 at 11:42 PM

Just my opinion,but I think this is a great example on how to discuss an issue with both sides making valid points without insults and throwing cut and paste propaganda at each other.

I won’t get in the middle of your back and forth but I would like to say that I think Thacker’s point about not sending our men and women to war if we are not going to do it to win is a great point.I would also like to see an emphasis on doing it in a way that keeps the lives of OUR Soldier’s as a priority,instead of what is going to be “politically correct”.
This does fly in the face of the Surge strategy in a way that called for our Soldier’s to hold territory and involve themselves with the population more,which of course puts them more at risk.
There is no Black and White answer,each conflict is different and requires it’s own strategy.
If Democrats/Republicans are going to send our men and women into battle,their mission and getting back home alive
should be the No.1 priority.Not using the difficulties of war as a bat to hammer the current administration and undermine the war effort.

There has not been a military conflict since WWII that has helped this country.

Vietnam/Korea were certainly handled wrong due to taking the war out of our millitary’s hands, letting politicians and the leftist influence and dictate decision making on the ground.The blood of the millions slaughtered after we left are on the super intelligent peace loving movement.
However these countries are thriving trade partners and not
communist threats like N. Korea turned out to be.
This is certainly a plus for America and others who want to be Free.

The Iraq/Afghanistan wars,though not over,have achieved freeing over 50 million people from some of the most brutal regimes in history.We have Muslims fighting side by side with the west against the Jihadist,one of the many things the left said would never happen but have.
Though not perfect,we have partners on each side of Iran, an important strategic position if Iran has to be dealt with
militarily.
The first Arab democracy in it’s infancy,but still much better then a genocidal terrorist dictator like Saddam and a
another country(Afghanistan) run by blood thirsty jihadist bent on progressing their dreams of the caliphate.

Defeating these elements has protected and secured the most vital areas that provides most of the free world their energy resources and set the stage for other neighboring countries populations to want a free and representative society that they thought never possible.
“True”Free democracies are not as likely to launch wars to take over other countries,creating chaos,death,and destruction.The chaos and destruction that Saddam and the Jihadist were engaged in toward America has been greatly diminished.
We have not been attacked on our soil and al-qeada/Taliban
have had to run back to their Pakistan stomping grounds due to their defeat in Iraq and continuing operations in Afghanistan. It is going to require taking out their training grounds in Pakistan if we want stability in Afghanistan,but the jihadist have lost a lot of credibility and recruits.
This benefits not only the US,but all of the world.

It took a long time for the benefits of WWII to be seen in
the aspect of Germany/Japan becoming contributors to the world scene instead of imperialist.Iraq/Afghanistan are no
different,it will take time to see the full benefits.

Our economic system is dependent on growth and the advancement of a free trade system.The more friends we have to trade and do business with, the better it is for every American.
I am not going to go into the safety/humanitarian aspects of taking down genocidal dictators because they are quite obvious.

Either way,this is just my opinion.Whether you agree or not,I would still like to buy you two a beer,I would probably learn a lot and have a good laugh to go along with it.

These articles are good examples of what our Soldier’s efforts have brought to America and the world:

Cheer up. We’re winning this War on Terror

Al-Qaeda and the Taleban are in retreat, the surge has worked in Iraq and Islamism is discredited. Not a bad haul

Gerard Baker

B.C. researchers find decline in global terrorism, question previous data

1 day ago

VANCOUVER — A group of researchers from Simon Fraser University says global terrorism is on the decline, despite previous data and public perceptions that suggest otherwise.
The university’s Human Security Report Project says fatalities from terrorist attacks around the world have, in fact, decreased by 40 per cent since 2001.

Baxter Greene on August 13, 2008 at 1:24 AM

So your plan is to support terrorist groups around the world, send_me?

That’ll make America loved…

alphie on August 13, 2008 at 1:44 AM

That’ll make America loved…

alphie on August 13, 2008 at 1:44 AM

From this arises an argument: whether it is better to be loved than feared. I reply that one should like to be both one and the other; but since it is difficult to join them together, it is much safer to be feared than to be loved when one of the two must be lacking.
- Niccolo Machiavelli

MB4 on August 13, 2008 at 2:12 AM

Nobody fears America anymore, MB…we’re broke, exhausted and the neocons have sold out our future for their own personal gain.

Being loved is all we got.

alphie on August 13, 2008 at 2:23 AM

Since I earned a degree in history with a decided emphasis on Russia and Eastern Europe, I feel a little bit obliged to chime in here.

Historically, the Russians claim hegemony over everything east of Poland, all the way to Kamchatka and Siberia. There is no way, in the long run, that the Russians would allow any country to escape their sphere of influence in that region. In fact, if you remember, a couple of years ago there was a big dustup between Russia and Ukraine over natural gas supplies to Europe. The truth is, Putin is former KGB, which means he’s a Stalinist, and Stalin was a Georgian.

Hence, Putin feels Georgia is part of Russia, the way the U.S. State of Georgia is part of the USA. And he thinks of himself as much like Abe Lincoln, bringing breakaway states back into the fold.

If the Russians cannot influence and indirectly control their neighboring States, they will just invade and conquer them. This is their way of doing things. They learned this from the Mongols and the Rus Vikings (who actually gave them the name of their country). You keep what you conquer. That is the way of things there.

Actually, the Chinese learned the exact same lesson from the Mongols, and this is why both countries are suceptible to this kind of leadership. Anyone with a cursory knowledge of world history understands this. It’s a cultural thing handed down from generation to generation. Both Russia and China are lands of conquerors. The whole reason for the existence of the state is to conquer and hold land.

A country built on the ideals of freedom is anathema to them. We are polar opposites. There is, was, and never will be a reason for the United States to trust either of them. They are the greatest purveyors of tyranny in this world and yet we trade with them, coddle them, send them our money, and make nice with them in Olympic games.

Being freedom lovers, of course, it is against our better nature to do what we really should, and rid the world of these rapacious fiends. For the world to truly be at peace the warlike must be removed by warlike means. And yes, it means nukes.

Unfortunately, we’re better than that. And equally unfortunately, they are not.

otcconan on August 13, 2008 at 3:53 AM

Hey Thatcher-

Sounds like we’re following the British model. Too bad we don’t have someone to hand the ball off too like they did.

As for Russia attacking, they ought to go after Alaska, instead of Oregon–just sayin.

Watch for Hawaii to peel off–you heard it here first. That we’re losing the SW goes without saying.

Bet you never guessed in your childhood that you’d end up witness to this portion of our history. What a kick in the teeth.

JiangxiDad on August 13, 2008 at 7:13 AM

MB4 your post had such a “kos” smallness about it. Pathetic actually.
ArmyAunt on August 12, 2008 at 4:51 PM

Stand up.

Go into the bathroom.

Look in the mirror.

MB4 on August 12, 2008 at 5:01 PM

An excellent example of supertroll’s argumentative abiity. Can’t we get some intelligent foils around here? Enter juvenile riposte, stage left.

horatio on August 13, 2008 at 7:33 AM

ummm, if your going to bother to send troops, their job should be to complete the mission… “staying alive” is not a mission. In fact, that is the mentality that got us where we were in Iraq before the surge… In war, Patton’s 3 principles rule supreme… Audacity, Audacity, Audacity! I always like the SAS motto “Who Dares, Wins!”
If you don’t understand that, then you are a perfect example of why politicians should a. have military service and b. stay the hell out of military decision making.
You want to save lives… defeat your enemy.

BadBrad on August 13, 2008 at 7:39 AM

Being loved is all we got.

alphie on August 13, 2008 at 2:23 AM

Hello Alphie,

Interesting. Based upon this comment and others you’ve made, could you expand upon your convictions by answering a few questions?

What is a “neocon”? Please don’t cut and paste some Googled definition. Just type out what you think defines a “necon”.

Who are they, where are they, and at what level within our society do they operate? (Example:corporate leaders in defense and oil industry; federal executive branch. etc)

Is HotAir a HotBed of neocons and if so why are you here conversing with the those you despise?

Should “being loved” provide the basis for all political decisions? For example, in this current crisis with Russia and Georgia, who should the president strive to have love us more?

Do you know who John Lennon is?

Lastly, how old are you and how did you come to this mind-set? (My parents; my college professors; through a life time of personal experience, liberal blogs, etc.)

Thanks in advance for your response.

Rod on August 13, 2008 at 7:53 AM

horatio on August 13, 2008 at 7:33 AM

I don’t agree with MB4 on much, but this is certainly not an example of his usual abilities. Usually, he is calm and cool, and often entertaining. I don’t recognize the MB4 we’ve been seeing the past few days, and hope to see the old one around soon.

JiangxiDad on August 13, 2008 at 8:04 AM

So your plan is to support terrorist groups around the world, send_me?
That’ll make America loved…
alphie on August 13, 2008 at 1:44 AM

Were the Colonists terrorists? Were the French, Dutch, Poles and others terrorist supporters by lending the Colonists aid?
The world is not full of half all-good men and half all-evil men. It doesn’t work that way. Yes, some groups we support aren’t perfect. I’ve implied that they were. What needs attention is the fact that we can help mold and shape the smaller groups and their leaders better than we can, say, Russia. If a group relies on our support, then that support does not necessarily have to be without preconditions nor persuasion of something better.
Yes, we’ve made mistakes in this regard. Consider this though: if we’d followed through in supporting either Iran in the 1970′s or Afghanistan through completion in the 1980-90′s, then we probably wouldn’t be fighting folks of Iranian or Afghan dissent. We lost their trust.
As I say, through fear, trust, and respect, we can accomplish a lot.

Being loved is all we got.
alphie on August 13, 2008 at 2:23 AM

Why don’t people fear us? I’d argue it’s not because of a perception that we’re “broke [or] exhausted” rather than our continued pursuit of half-measures in regards to our enemies and allies alike. Sure, we’ve gotten the Georgians all fired up, but that’ll soon fade as they are slaughtered and wonder, “Gee, where is this American support?” Then their kids will grow up, probably under Russian rule, and think, “yeah, the Americans failed us then and they’re the enemy of Russia. I might as well not like them either.”
“Loved”? No. What we’re doing to Georgia is why dissidents of the world no longer trust or respect us, and why our enemies no longer fear nor respect us.

Send_Me on August 13, 2008 at 8:15 AM

JiangxiDad on August 13, 2008 at 8:04 AM

Have you been reading his posts for some time … more than just the past few days?

Just curious. I began skipping over his comments and replies to them months ago. Seems they always lead to tedious “you’re an idiot – no, you’re an idiot” arguments – just like here.

Rod on August 13, 2008 at 8:48 AM

Rod on August 13, 2008 at 8:48 AM

Yep. He is something of an enigma to me, and I too spent some time skipping his comments, but overall I appreciate his intelligence and usual wit, if not always his point of view.

JiangxiDad on August 13, 2008 at 8:57 AM

I know I’m late getting back to the party,but some here thought it amusing that I called Lithuania and Georgia ‘neighbors’.
Not geographically, friends. But they both border on Russia, have both won their independence from the USSR, and are both in the path of Soviet aggression. That makes them ‘neighbors’.
Here:http://mnweekly.ru/news/20080813/55341572.html

Doug on August 13, 2008 at 9:31 AM

Having learned some lessons while in dream mode,

The Russian Bear has awoken from hibernation.

She is wary, wise, strong and HUNGRY.

“Pretty please with sugar on top” will only wet her appetite.

maverick muse on August 13, 2008 at 9:38 AM

Why don’t people fear us?

If a giant is frightened by its own shadow,
it is the laughing stock of the least among creatures.

If a giant loathes its own reflection and would rather commit suicide than recognize its innate virtue, there is nothing to fear of a giant that defeats itself before ever thinking clearly to defend either itself or its friends.

But any analogy is only relevant where applicable.

And the majority of Americans, witnessed as recently as 9/11/01, do NOT loath America, but in fact LOVE AMERICA. Today’s enlistment and re-enlistment of our finest patriots and troops sworn to protect and defend our Constitution prove that we are not totally corrupted by Marx or his illicit progeny, aka “progressives”, “compassionate” socialists.

So the analogies above only apply to the loser ubertards. In their progressive advance, they create their own demise.

Irony from God is seen as manna from heaven.
Thank God for all good things, big and small.
Remember Aesop’s Fable where a mouse liberated the lion.

Pray for the Georgian People. Wish them well.
Unite in Spirit for Justice and Liberty.
Lend your hearts for a moment, at least.
God Save Freedom!
May God Bless What Is Good,
To Be Wise and To Prevail.

maverick muse on August 13, 2008 at 9:56 AM

Since WHEN??? They are both an -ism, you DIG? One’s under Communism, the other Islamism…that’s exactly my point…you don’t get this stuff.

Wow. Just. Wow. You believe in the sheep vs. wolf theory, don’t you? Ever heard of the sheepdog? There are a few of them, in my opinion. You don’t have to believe that, just because you’re not a predator that you’re automatically prey, dude. Get a grip.

And as for Jihadism, that’s coming in the form of creeping sharia in America.

ThackerAgency on August 12, 2008 at 11:02 PM

LOLs!!! Where to start with you….HAH!!

A. Those programs are Socialist, not Communitst…but I gie you an A for effort (well, okay, maybe a C).

B. We DON’T HAVE a Windfall Profits Tax. Do you live in the ’70s? ‘Cause that’s the last time it was tried…and it failed. Miserably.

C. Shar’ia is trying to creep, but it too is failing. We’re not the UK or Canada, dude. I recommend you read this article from Jeff Breinholt, who studied whether Shar’ia was creeping into our legal system:Islam in American Courts

D. As far as being one of those Catholics you claim to have “offended” – 1. you couldn’t be further from the truth, and 2. don’t give yourself that much credit about your “talents” in the art of offending or evil-doing (it is to laugh!).

But I certainly got some yuckles today!

Miss_Anthrope on August 13, 2008 at 10:44 AM

I tried to post a silly joke about Bob Dole and that pill that begins with a ‘V’, and no matter how I phrased it, it would not post.

You mean “V‍iag‍ra”? Sounds like the problem some people have getting “soci‍alist” to post. I can handle that one too. “Cia‍lis”.
Now, for the trifecta… “Lev‍itra”.

The Monster on August 13, 2008 at 10:52 AM

“At a rally in Tbilisi today, Georgians ‘roared’ when their president, Mikhil Saakashvili, repeated John McCain’s statement, ‘We are all Georgians today.’”
Too bad this Georgia cannot vote in November.
Finally, McCain shoots and scores.

Oh and BTW, I find it ironic that Putie-Putin’s aggression here is imperialistic and oil-grabbing but the left is silent about it all. They know that it’s Dubya’s fault–all of it.

Christine on August 13, 2008 at 1:59 PM

BadBrad on August 13, 2008 at 7:39 AM

The point I made is simple.
There are ways to complete the mission and do it with a higher chance of survival for our troops.The Soldier is many times put in more dangerous positions because of politics and “political correctness”.The fear of the media putting pictures of civilian casualties on TV or the front page or saying that we are using to much force (like they did recently against Israel in Lebanon) has brought ridiculous ROE and strategy based more on political appeasement instead of winning AND bringing as many Soldiers
home as possible.

I understand that part of winning involves killing more of them than us, soooo…..the more Soldiers that make it back the better(I am going to go out on a limb and say our Soldiers probably think it is pretty important to make it back also),this is pretty much my point.

Do you understand BradBrad?

Incredible! George S Patton’s New Speech-Iraq & modern world