Focus on the Family Action spokesman: Pray for rain the night of Obama’s convention speech

posted at 1:05 pm on August 12, 2008 by Allahpundit

Not to be confused with Focus on the Family, which as a 501(c)(3) is as studiously apolitical as its studiously apolitical leader, noted “private citizen” James Dobson. This is Focus on the Family Action, an affiliated 501(c)(4) that legally can engage in some political activities so long as it “does not include direct or indirect participation or intervention in political campaigns on behalf of or in opposition to any candidate for public office.” Judge for yourself where this falls on that continuum.

This clip was on the website for awhile, then was pulled after a few FOFA members didn’t appreciate the half-joke. Praying for another’s misfortune, however benign that misfortune might be, is viscerally distasteful, but, er, won’t people on both sides be praying for their candidate to win come November, assuming they aren’t already? In which case, it’s socially acceptable to pray for Obama or McCain to have their life’s ambition thwarted but not socially acceptable to pray for them to have a bad photo op the night of their acceptance speech? Or is the objection here more Biblically based?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Bad taste, I think. People should pray for strength, enlightment, mercy, and patience, and well-being for others. This falls into the “Lord, gimme the winning Powerball sequence” category — people do it, but ministers usually discourage it.

Ed Morrissey on August 12, 2008 at 1:08 PM

What an as*hole.

Dave Rywall on August 12, 2008 at 1:12 PM

Meh…I don’t find it in bad taste. I found it funny. And don’t say you never prayed for something just a little off the beaten path. We’ve ALL done it.

Or are you perfect? LOL.

tickleddragon on August 12, 2008 at 1:13 PM

Praying for a winning lottery ticket is a prayer for good fortune for yourself.

It’s not a prayer for bad fortune for someone else.

In that sense, I would put the two prayers in totally different categories.

If you would excuse the lack of proportion, it’s more akin to praying that Hitler would have a heart attack, or that the SS would lose all their files.

MarkTheGreat on August 12, 2008 at 1:13 PM

Comeon, fess up,

We’ve all secretly been hoping for rain on the night of Obama’s big speech.

MarkTheGreat on August 12, 2008 at 1:14 PM

Praying for another’s misfortune, however benign that misfortune might be, is viscerally distasteful — Allahpundit

This is far from the perfect analogy but I believe I remember George S. Patton praying for the Nazis misfortune.

Maxx on August 12, 2008 at 1:14 PM

A guy asking for others like himself to pray for rain makes him an a$$hole, drywall?

Man, you are harsh. But then, walls are hard. LOL.

tickleddragon on August 12, 2008 at 1:15 PM

Comeon, fess up,

We’ve all secretly been hoping for rain on the night of Obama’s big speech.

I wonder how the MSM would spin that.

TroubledMonkey on August 12, 2008 at 1:16 PM

I’ve already used up my quota of weather prayers making it snow on Al Gore.

BohicaTwentyTwo on August 12, 2008 at 1:19 PM

MarkTheGreat on August 12, 2008 at 1:14 PM

I’m praying for a demented clown with a pie launcher going on a rampage during Obama’s speech.

Darth Executor on August 12, 2008 at 1:21 PM

My bad. I was praying for hail.

TexasDan on August 12, 2008 at 1:21 PM

I was really really praying that we would see the Obama Salute before the participants found out that everybody thought it was stupid. I question the timing of the story’s release.

Cindy Munford on August 12, 2008 at 1:23 PM

Darth Executor on August 12, 2008 at 1:21 PM

I like that. That would be effective AND funny. You win.

tickleddragon on August 12, 2008 at 1:23 PM

I think if we’re going to get really technical and ultra Sunday School, then you should only pray for good things, i.e., not that Obama loses but that America gets the best leader possible.

Instead of praying that Hitler has a heart attack, pray that he sees the error of his ways and attempts to make things right.

But most Christians are human and forgo the Sunday School answers even when they shouldn’t.

Esthier on August 12, 2008 at 1:24 PM

What an as*hole.

Dave Rywall on August 12, 2008 at 1:12 PM

Jeez, Dave, it’s not like he was praying for the Obamanation to be electrocuted or something, just something that would drown out the message, kinda like the way your little sheeple do everytime they don’t like something? Kinda like the way the KOS kids and the Huff-n-Stuff kids pray for the death of Cheney and others they find objectionable?

He just asked for rain.

Get over it.

john1schn on August 12, 2008 at 1:25 PM

tickledragon – awww, is that word is too harsh for you? So sorry.

Dave Rywall on August 12, 2008 at 1:25 PM

Silly Evangelicals…

Not for nothing, but why hold your convention in an open-air stadium? You’re at the mercy of the weather.

JetBoy on August 12, 2008 at 1:26 PM

Using your presumptive power of prayer to bring ill fortune on someone who’s never directly done any harm to you, probably not a good thing to do.

Jeeze DaveRywall, so quick to name call, was that really necessary?

4shoes on August 12, 2008 at 1:26 PM

Or are you perfect? LOL.

tickleddragon on August 12, 2008 at 1:13 PM

I have to admit, there was a time in my life when I didn’t have much and I actually prayed for “a beaten path”.

Syd B. on August 12, 2008 at 1:27 PM

tickledragon – awww, is that word is too harsh for you? So sorry.

Dave Rywall on August 12, 2008 at 1:25 PM

What’s the matter drywall, did I hurt your feelings with my rebuke in gest?

tickleddragon on August 12, 2008 at 1:27 PM

Why film stuff like this that will certainly make it to HuffPo to show how wussy Republicans are? As Rush points out now and then, garbage like this just grabs the MSM attention and makes Conservatives appear “fearful” of Obama. The man can be beat easily, without gimmicks, based on issues.

Marcus on August 12, 2008 at 1:27 PM

I think God would be amused. Noah, not so much.

flipflop on August 12, 2008 at 1:28 PM

Re: the “testing” God link, AP: How do you think praying for rain (which I agree is not a request that would line up with God’s heart) would be “testing” the Lord?

IMHO, the “testing” issue is not one of making a request, but one of making a demand upon God.

TexasDan on August 12, 2008 at 1:29 PM

4shoes on August 12, 2008 at 1:26 PM

Again, I thought it was meant to be funny. But to your comment, you’re right. But Obaaa-aa-aama, if elected will be able to do LOTS to you personally. Call it preemptive prayer strike.

(I am OF COURSE kidding. Do not inundate me with corrective slams.)

tickleddragon on August 12, 2008 at 1:29 PM

JetBoy on August 12, 2008 at 1:26 PM

Ahh, but the weather is at the mercy of The One.

trubble on August 12, 2008 at 1:30 PM

Dave Rywall on August 12, 2008 at 1:25 PM

tickledragon – awww, is that word is too harsh for you? So sorry.

Harsh? Maybe. Juvenile? Certainly. Add to the discussion? Most certainly not.

ynot4tony2 on August 12, 2008 at 1:30 PM

Socially acceptable? This isn’t a cocktail party. Those who actually pray for the right reasons, wouldn’t bother the Creator with such stupid stuff.

As for myself, I won’t pray for a plague of locusts in Denver the night of Obama’s acceptance speech but I surely wouldn’t discourage God along those lines either!

highhopes on August 12, 2008 at 1:30 PM

heh I think its funny too. :)

becki51758 on August 12, 2008 at 1:31 PM

ynot4tony2 on August 12, 2008 at 1:30 PM

Thanks for your support, ynot4tony2, but no worries, the wall-guy didn’t bug me at all. :)

tickleddragon on August 12, 2008 at 1:32 PM

No doubt the HP, Kos, etc will pick up on this jacka*s and run with the story claiming it’s unchristian, immature, silly, etc etc.

Just another story of a stupid person doing something stupid, but it will undeservedly occupy time and space in the media, which is highly annoying.

Dave Rywall on August 12, 2008 at 1:32 PM

I pray for Obama to win, and can not wait until Dave Rywall calls me an as*hole.

To the topic – why pray for rain on such a parade charade?

Entelechy on August 12, 2008 at 1:32 PM

Ahh, but the weather is at the mercy of The One.

trubble on August 12, 2008 at 1:30 PM

touche.

JetBoy on August 12, 2008 at 1:34 PM

Entelechy, I’ll join you just for fun. It’s been a while since we partied together – metaphorically speaking, of course.

tickleddragon on August 12, 2008 at 1:35 PM

Why pray at all? If Obama can stop the war of Russia/Georgia, why couldn’t he stop the rain?

Entelechy on August 12, 2008 at 1:35 PM

Rain wouldn’t matter; if Obama can lower sea levels and heal the earth, keeping the rain away from his convention would be child’s play.

If anything you should pray for a multitude of storms and calamities in an attempt to overwhelm Baracky through sheer quantity.

Bishop on August 12, 2008 at 1:37 PM

tickled, thanks. We’ll party for real, hopefully on a somewhat positive note.

Entelechy on August 12, 2008 at 1:37 PM

Since Denver is semi-arid, and has a fairly violent past with vicious feuds over water and water rights, rain is a precious commodity they just can’t get enough of. Colorado can always use a good dousing. It’s the overarchingly kind thing to do.

Anyone know the patron saint of rain?

marybel on August 12, 2008 at 1:39 PM

On the whole, I think I’ll save my rain-prayers for election day. Good weather used to favor the Democrats at the polls. Don’t know how true that is anymore, but I suppose it’s still a factor. In any event, I’ll never forget the awesome weather when Carter was elected….

apostic on August 12, 2008 at 1:40 PM

Anyone know the patron saint of rain?

marybel on August 12, 2008 at 1:39 PM

No, but the new goddess of rain is Michelle Obama. Anyone heard a peep out of her, lately?

Entelechy on August 12, 2008 at 1:42 PM

highhopes on August 12, 2008 at 1:30 PM

“God, if it is Your will that it rain in Denver sometime in late August, maybe the 25th through the 28th, or maybe just a few minutes on the 28th – whenever You see it fit, then by all means, Your will be done.”

I doubt they’d be so charitable as to call it unchristian, if anything, I’d think they’d use it to smear Christians.

Esthier on August 12, 2008 at 1:43 PM

tickled, thanks. We’ll party for real, hopefully on a somewhat positive note.

Entelechy on August 12, 2008 at 1:37 PM

Always on a positive note, E. Always. :)

tickleddragon on August 12, 2008 at 1:49 PM

like David in psalm 143:

12 In your unfailing love, silence my enemies;
destroy all my foes,
for I am your servant.

anything christians says that opposes the ObaMahdi will be used to smear christianity.

right4life on August 12, 2008 at 1:50 PM

How about praying for high wind, so that nobody can hear a word Obama is saying?

MarkTheGreat on August 12, 2008 at 1:50 PM

WHile Obama hasn’t done me any harm, he would like to.

MarkTheGreat on August 12, 2008 at 1:52 PM

Rain? Howsabout hail the size of cantaloupes?

Akzed on August 12, 2008 at 1:55 PM

Dave Rywall on August 12, 2008 at 1:12 PM

I’ll be praying for rain. But then I live in Colorado and and my desire for rain has nothing to do with Oh-Bama. As far as I am concerned you two can go pound sand.

On the other hand, being Colorado it might just snow!

jdkchem on August 12, 2008 at 1:55 PM

WHile Obama hasn’t done me any harm, he would like to.

MarkTheGreat on August 12, 2008 at 1:52 PM

Precisely. :)

tickleddragon on August 12, 2008 at 1:55 PM

Thought it was in pretty bad taste. I’ll pray for rain in the areas that need it.

nazo311 on August 12, 2008 at 1:56 PM

I don’t remember if it is in Psalms or Proverbs, but there is one that recommends being kind to your enemies, because it will make them feel like hot coals are being poured on their heads.

MarkTheGreat on August 12, 2008 at 1:56 PM

why not, it couldn’t hurt.
I vote, let it rain.

jimmer on August 12, 2008 at 1:59 PM

Do not test the Lord. (He already knows all the answers.)

Attila (Pillage Idiot) on August 12, 2008 at 2:00 PM

Bugs first, then humidity add in rain and lightning, LOTS of lightning.

Alden Pyle on August 12, 2008 at 2:01 PM

Comeon, fess up,

We’ve all secretly been hoping for rain on the night of Obama’s big speech.

MarkTheGreat on August 12, 2008 at 1:14 PM

My hand is raised. However, living here (DNC-ville), I am aware that it would have to be a rain of freakish standards, since summers here are usually marked by late afternoon or early evening thunderstorms which can pour precipitously then clear out before a scheduled concert or sporting event. Many is the night I’ve seen a crowd get soaked during an opening act at Red Rocks, then sit under a blissful star-filled Rocky Mountain sky.

But, yes, we can always hope for snow. My worldly possessions were being offloaded from a moving truck in a sizable flurry in September almost 19 yrs ago.

But don’t hold your breath.

Captain Scarlet on August 12, 2008 at 2:05 PM

My bad. I was praying for hail.

TexasDan on August 12, 2008 at 1:21 PM

Rain? Howsabout hail the size of cantaloupes?

Akzed on August 12, 2008 at 1:55 PM

We’re teh funny.

TexasDan on August 12, 2008 at 2:07 PM

nazo311 on August 12, 2008 at 1:56 PM

And the Most Uppity Answer Award goes to….

LOL. No offense, nazo, but most of this discussion is in gest. And one can pray for many things/people/events at once, so we wouldn’t be forgetting about those areas of need. sheesh. Paging the doctor…one Sense of Humor transplant needed in the Emergency Ward.

But love you, mean it. :)

tickleddragon on August 12, 2008 at 2:10 PM

At first glance, this seems like one of those old-time religion gimmicks…

But, IF it does rain, with plenty of thunder and lightning…whose to say?

(Never underestimate the efficacy of prayer.)

coldwarrior on August 12, 2008 at 2:11 PM

Imagine this photo op. Pouring rain just before Obama makes his entrance. He raises his hands and the clouds part and the rain stops. The crowd say in unison “Ooooooo, he is the ONE!!”

AverageJoe on August 12, 2008 at 2:11 PM

AverageJoe on August 12, 2008 at 2:11 PM

If that actually happens, I’ll be down on my knees, praying for greater understanding of the bigger picture from my Lord. Doubt me not.

tickleddragon on August 12, 2008 at 2:16 PM

I don’t see it that way. In many cases, it is completely Biblical. In Psalms, David prays a lot to confound the enemies of God. As long as it focuses on the will of God, instead of your personal desire for vengeance, it is completely Biblical. And considering that Obama is in favor of many un-Christian policies… abortion of babies if you’re “not ready” (murder/selfishness/putting yourself above God), wealth re-distribution (stealing), promotion of homosexual lifestyles (sinfulness), distorting his personal history on votes (lying)… and then calls himself a Christian?

And your point is…?

dominigan on August 12, 2008 at 2:16 PM

tickleddragon on August 12, 2008 at 2:16 PM

I think we’ll all be re-evaluating our relationship with God should that happen.

Esthier on August 12, 2008 at 2:20 PM

It is funny. Meant to be funny.

As for Mr. Drywall:

Dave Rywall on August 12, 2008 at 1:32 PM

Then when is the Media going to get rid of PETA, GLBT, NAMBLA, Code Pink, Hollywood Actors and all the rest of the looney left?

Hopefully, you find them just as annoying.

kirkill on August 12, 2008 at 2:23 PM

MarkTheGreat on August 12, 2008 at 1:56 PM

Its in Proverbs. And before AP beats me up on the differences between Proverbs and Psalms…

The verse in Proverbs refers to individual actions. The verses in Psalms (with David), acknowledges that the judgment and punishment is still in the hands God.

So we personally should treat Obama nicely, and it is up to God to judge and punish him (unless he runs afoul of laws… in which case some authority has been delegated to government to judge and punish). We can still pray for judgment on God’s enemies, but ultimately it is still up to God.

Disclaimer… We should always be careful about praying for judgment from God… because if we have been praying in our own desires, God will judge us in that (which is the meaning behind the verses in Matt 7).

dominigan on August 12, 2008 at 2:24 PM

Esthier on August 12, 2008 at 1:24 PM

Rock on. You’re absolutely right.

Especially that last part. I’ll own up to it.

emailnuevo on August 12, 2008 at 2:27 PM

Another spot-on protrayal of the American HypoChristian: love, peace and mercy for us….torment, ridicule and misery for all others.

DanKenton on August 12, 2008 at 2:31 PM

….torment, ridicule and misery for all others.

you bring that on yourself. enjoy.

right4life on August 12, 2008 at 2:44 PM

I thought it was funny. I got the impression he was going for the humor angle here. The cynic and anti-Christian may not approve but who cares? The guy in the video isn’t in charge of the GOP or of McCain’s campaign so who does it affect? That’s right, no one.

Terri on August 12, 2008 at 2:47 PM

all those liberal wackos who will get upset by this, are the same ones who rejoice in the death of tony snow and other conservatives on liberal blogs.

right4life on August 12, 2008 at 2:49 PM

MarkTheGreat on August 12, 2008 at 1:56 PM

I’d rather drop hot coals on their heads and make them think I’m being kind.

I’m not so stiffnecked as to think that every thing in the Bible is the guiding force in my life. I’m not about to turn the other cheek when my enemy threatens my nation’s existence. I’m hitting back with everything I got. If God doesn’t like it, I’m sure He’ll be the one to let me know.

john1schn on August 12, 2008 at 2:55 PM

OBAMA CORONATION BALL: Reign dance.

Dr. Charles G. Waugh on August 12, 2008 at 3:02 PM

DanKenton on August 12, 2008 at 2:31 PM

Yeah, you’re real kind and generous and would never generalize about a whole group of people, right, Sparky?
Btw, you were looking for “hyper” not “hypo”. Meet http://www.dictionary.com.

tickleddragon on August 12, 2008 at 3:02 PM

john1schn on August 12, 2008 at 2:55 PM

Agreed and seconded. :)

tickleddragon on August 12, 2008 at 3:04 PM

We need the rain. Think of the farmers. Think of their children. Think of all the drivers who need the ethanol.

GarandFan on August 12, 2008 at 3:13 PM

In the video, Shepard said he hoped the rain would start “two minutes before the acceptance speech begins.”

It helps to be specific when you’re wishing, I guess.

tickleddragon on August 12, 2008 at 3:02 PM

Hate to jump to the defense of Mr Kenton, but I think he actually did mean Hypo. (as in a portmanteau of hypocrite and Christian).

RightOFLeft on August 12, 2008 at 3:20 PM

Btw, you were looking for “hyper” not “hypo”. Meet http://www.dictionary.com.

tickleddragon on August 12, 2008 at 3:02 PM

Sorry, wrong again tickle, I mean HYPO as in HYPOCRITE.

Funny, you seemed almost sure of yourself there too…almost presumptuous like you had all of the answers in the world without ever actually applying any cognitive discipline to your efforts. Gee, I wonder where you picked up that nasty little habit from????

DanKenton on August 12, 2008 at 3:23 PM

RightOFLeft on August 12, 2008 at 3:20 PM

thanks for the correction,ROL. I’ll take that into consideration. But I was also looking at the correct definitions of said prefixes. And hypo, is just incorrect in that context.

If he’s making up his own language without deference to the Latin or Greek prefixes/suffixes, then I’m surely deserving of the rebuke.

tickleddragon on August 12, 2008 at 3:25 PM

darwiniacs.

right4life on August 12, 2008 at 3:26 PM

DanKenton on August 12, 2008 at 3:23 PM

You made up a word, moron. I actually know the definitions of those prefixes.

I’m sorry if your attempt to mesh those two words meant that I was wrong. But your word ISN’T a word.

tickleddragon on August 12, 2008 at 3:26 PM

RightOFLeft on August 12, 2008 at 3:20 PM

Good eye ROF. Rock on…

DanKenton on August 12, 2008 at 3:27 PM

Funny, you seemed almost sure of yourself there too…

Mostly because I’d looked it up before speaking. I have a degree in English, and did happen to know that you were using that particular prefix incorrectly.

I never once claimed to know everything, but a generalizer such as yourself would think so.

Chill out.

tickleddragon on August 12, 2008 at 3:29 PM

You made up a word, moron. I actually know the definitions of those prefixes.

tickleddragon on August 12, 2008 at 3:26 PM

Wow, name calling too? Smart AND polite.

DanKenton on August 12, 2008 at 3:31 PM

Only polite to those that deserve it. You started off by generalizing about Christians being hypocrits.

Physician heal thyself…first.

tickleddragon on August 12, 2008 at 3:33 PM

Now…I think you’ll agree we’re done with each other.

Have a nice day.

tickleddragon on August 12, 2008 at 3:34 PM

Chill out.

tickleddragon on August 12, 2008 at 3:29 PM

Wow, a degree? A whole degree? You’re my hero. Oh, by the way professor, your excuse explanation doesn’t make much sense when you referred me to an online dictionary that, according to you, wouldn’t contain the word I was attempting to use. A bit illogical wouldn’t you say?

Perhaps you should have spent your money on a philosophy degree instead.

DanKenton on August 12, 2008 at 3:35 PM

zzzzzzz… Done now.

tickleddragon on August 12, 2008 at 3:36 PM

MarkTheGreat on August 12, 2008 at 1:50 PM

That’s what Obama’s praying for.

highhopes on August 12, 2008 at 3:39 PM

tickleddragon on August 12, 2008 at 3:33 PM

You seemed to have forgotten the “e” in hypocrites professor. You’re not doing your alma mater proud with rookie fumbles like that. Let me guess: University of Phoenix???? Great bandwidth but a lousy football team I hear.

DanKenton on August 12, 2008 at 3:42 PM

Yep, you’re right. I sure did spell that incorrectly. My bad. But then I do admit my mistakes.

Go ahead and set up that firing squad, Smart Guy.

And this will be the last time I respond to you. Period.

tickleddragon on August 12, 2008 at 3:46 PM

tickleddragon on August 12, 2008 at 3:46 PM

Ignore him, he’s not worth responding to. Every post he sends exposes his ignorance to us all.

john1schn on August 12, 2008 at 3:52 PM

john1schn on August 12, 2008 at 3:52 PM

Thanks, john1schn, I figured that out. I mostly apologized for everyone else’s benefit.

tickleddragon on August 12, 2008 at 4:03 PM

tickleddragon on August 12, 2008 at 4:03 PM

With the Dan’s and the Dave’s, keeping the tri-L’s in check is like herding cats. The job is never done.

john1schn on August 12, 2008 at 4:09 PM

DanKenton, please go to another liberal lowest common denominator site, that’s all liberals ever favor in candidates.

kirkill on August 12, 2008 at 4:15 PM

john1schn on August 12, 2008 at 4:09 PM

True enough. I like the fact that we’ve got all kinds on this site. But it’s when you start bashing an entire group of people – and over a humorous video – you’ve gone off your nut.

There are plenty of Christians, Athiests and other’ists on this site, seeming to get along just fine (barring the prod threads that Allah starts to get us all riled up – just kidding, Allah) without the snarky generalizations and hateful name-calling of some. I’m a Christian, myself. But I also hold some beliefs that other Christians might not hold to. I don’t hold it against them, I expect that they do the same for me. Religious laissez-faire, if you will. And a debate is one thing. Name-calling a whole group of people, something entirely else.

And if I ever do it…I deserve to be called on it. :)

tickleddragon on August 12, 2008 at 4:40 PM

tickleddragon on August 12, 2008 at 4:40 PM

I’m Christian too, though there are some who would say that I’m not. I’m Roman Catholic, and there are some Roman Catholics that would say that I’m not that either. I don’t let a church tell me what to do, and that goes for the “secular church” as well.

Many would call me a cafeteria Catholic, but that’s OK. The Church is entitled to be wrong, even if it thinks (hah!) that it’s infallible.

john1schn on August 12, 2008 at 4:57 PM

its studiously apolitical leader, noted “private citizen” James Dobson

No, he’s not apolitical, & he never claimed to be, but the facts never prevented AP from sliming Dobson before.

jgapinoy on August 12, 2008 at 5:10 PM

On the rare occasions when Dobson uses his broadcast to speak politically, that broadcast time is paid for by “FOTF Action” rather than FOTF.

jgapinoy on August 12, 2008 at 5:12 PM

You don’t think he riles us up intentionally? The more “hits” on a thread, the more traffic, the more $ HA makes, the better AP looks to his boss.

jgapinoy on August 12, 2008 at 5:15 PM

jgapinoy on August 12, 2008 at 5:15 PM

I know precisely why he does it. I just don’t believe that it’s necessary to insult our hosts. Where would we vent, eh?

Allah is just as entitled to his opinions as I am, and he has a vehicle with which to gain from it. More power to him.

Even if he is a godless heathen… BWHAHAHAHAHAHA. (jk. love ya, AP)

tickleddragon on August 12, 2008 at 5:42 PM

tickleddragon on August 12, 2008 at 5:42 PM

I didn’t intend to “insult” AP. I just want him to think twice before starting us fighting amongst ourselves.

jgapinoy on August 12, 2008 at 10:13 PM

Its called an “imprecatory” prayer

Psalm 69:22-28 (NIV):

22 May the table set before them become a snare;
may it become retribution and a trap [Or "snare / and their fellowship become"].

23 May their eyes be darkened so they cannot see,
and their backs be bent forever.

24 Pour out your wrath on them;
let your fierce anger overtake them.

25 May their place be deserted;
let there be no one to dwell in their tents.

26 For they persecute those you wound
and talk about the pain of those you hurt.

27 Charge them with crime upon crime;
do not let them share in your salvation.

28 May they be blotted out of the book of life
and not be listed with the righteous.

A rainstorm against the Socialist, Black Nationalist, Jihadist-friendly, terrorist-friendly, former(?) Muslim called Hussein seems mild by comparison but at least as justified.

And for the Christians here who might object:

Matthew 5:17-20 (NIV):

17″Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. 18I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. 19Anyone who breaks one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do the same will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven. 20For I tell you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the Pharisees and the teachers of the law, you will certainly not enter the kingdom of heaven.

Tommygun on August 13, 2008 at 4:42 AM