Video: ChiComs’ fireworks spectacular not quite as spectacular as thought

posted at 4:58 pm on August 11, 2008 by Allahpundit

This isn’t quite as bad as it sounds. Watch the vid and you’ll see that Matt Lauer acknowledged that it was animation while it ran, so no American viewers, at least, were misled. NBC had no control over the footage — everything was transmitted on one feed via Beijing Olympic Broadcasting — so their choice was either to black out the segment or to air it and disclose that it was bogus. Footprint fireworks were actually launched at the ceremony too, just as you see here, but it was too dangerous and/or too hazy to get the overhead shot via helicopter that they were aiming for; hence the animation. YouTube has video of what the actual display looked like from the ground.

When a totalitarian government wants everything to be perfect, everything’s going to be perfect. Click the image to watch.

Comments

Bah! Why do website developers feel the need to resize my browser window?

Slublog on August 11, 2008 at 5:02 PM

Why would I download a new plug-in for Firefox to watch a story about fake stuff right after you resize my browser window?

Sefton on August 11, 2008 at 5:04 PM

Because Silverlight is cool, and you are going to need it anyway, so just install it and be done with it.

DaveS on August 11, 2008 at 5:05 PM

Matt Lauer, “Almost animation”…but the Chinese are happier than those poor Americans

d1carter on August 11, 2008 at 5:05 PM

YouTube has video of what the actual display looked like from the ground.

Why do they look like giant male naughty things in the live footage?

lorien1973 on August 11, 2008 at 5:06 PM

The link you are accessing has been blocked at the firewall because it contains content belonging to the category of: Sports category.

playblu on August 11, 2008 at 5:07 PM

Ahhh, why does everybody have to find new ways to pee in the Olympic cornflakes?

Does everybody feel great now with this GOTCHA?

Or would you have rather believed they pulled it off?

Bah.

Dave Rywall on August 11, 2008 at 5:12 PM

Considering the flyover of the footprints looked as unnatural as anything, this makes too much sense.

Grafted on August 11, 2008 at 5:14 PM

I still don’t understand how or why they couldn’t get a helicopter shot safely…

JetBoy on August 11, 2008 at 5:14 PM

Well I guess I’m the only idiot on the planet who watched it “live” and was fooled.

Vigilante on August 11, 2008 at 5:19 PM

Ooooooh.

Aaaaaah.

Rhinoboy on August 11, 2008 at 5:23 PM

Or would you have rather believed they pulled it off?

Why am I not surprised that Drywall prefers fantasy to reality.

On the other hand, if this had been the Bush adminstration instead of the ChiComs, does anyone believe Drywall would have been as accomadating?

MarkTheGreat on August 11, 2008 at 5:28 PM

I really don’t see how this is a problem, especially since they weren’t faked. It’s just the video that was faked.

Esthier on August 11, 2008 at 5:28 PM

Dammit! First the Iranians, now the ChiComs! Ya just can’t trust dictatorships anymore these days!

Tony737 on August 11, 2008 at 5:28 PM

Does everybody feel great now with this GOTCHA?

Or would you have rather believed they pulled it off?

Bah.

Dave Rywall on August 11, 2008 at 5:12 PM

The answer is….

posted at 4:58 pm on August 11, 2008 by Allahpundit

VikingGoneWild on August 11, 2008 at 5:30 PM

Don’t forget the difference of this and past Olympics. This is one backed by the whole nation, for their pride. Nothing wrong with that, I guess.

I doubt Atlanta, LA, or other cities had the whole national treasury to spend it on the ‘spectaculars’, even though they may have some federal help.

Sir Napsalot on August 11, 2008 at 5:30 PM

No I’m NOT going to download your crappy Microsoft update. I run Firefox because I hate Microsoft products! I run a MAC and refuse to use any of Redmond’s stuff!

sabbott on August 11, 2008 at 5:37 PM

…but it was too dangerous and/or too hazy to get the overhead shot via helicopter that they were aiming for; hence the animation.

Thats what I’d put my money on.

liquidflorian on August 11, 2008 at 5:46 PM

Popped balloons are indignant.

Dave Rywall is still content.

Entelechy on August 11, 2008 at 5:56 PM

The smog, however, is real.

My collie says:

Fireworks envy.

CyberCipher on August 11, 2008 at 5:57 PM

They should have just done a multi-camera ground shot, rolling from one camera to the next to convey the motion of the actual fireworks. It wouldn’t be as spectacular as the overhead shot, but would have been real.

I wasn’t watching that part of the ceremony closely, but it did look a little bit fake to me at the time.

Snidely Whiplash on August 11, 2008 at 6:20 PM

Fake but accurate?

rihar on August 11, 2008 at 6:20 PM

Dave Drywall, leftie tool and Believer in Change, is disillusioned and filled with ennui.

everywhere, trolls weep

Commies and their Useful Idiots lie all the time; routinely; pathologically; in politics, sports, and everywhere else. Same as it ever was………..

Janos Hunyadi on August 11, 2008 at 6:30 PM

Same as it ever was………..

letting the days go by

once in a lifetime.

rihar on August 11, 2008 at 6:37 PM

You clowns are like people who go to NASCAR and hope there’s a big firey pile up.

Dave Rywall on August 11, 2008 at 7:02 PM

Dave Rywall on August 11, 2008 at 7:02 PM

No. We just hope the cars aren’t CG.

soundingboard on August 11, 2008 at 7:14 PM

Dave Rywall on August 11, 2008 at 7:02 PM

Has anyone mentioned how wonderful it is to have you here, contributing to the all the discussions?

wise_man on August 11, 2008 at 7:17 PM

Dave Rywall on August 11, 2008 at 7:02 PM

The lack of logic–and lack of basic ‘abstract reasoning’ skills–is amazing: A typical totalitarian govt stunt ( faked and crazily-regimented and a not-so-subtle attempt to intimidate as well as a pathetic attempe to impress ) is revealed to be…….faked.

Several sober adults express ridicucle and a lack of surprise, and comment on the inherent nature of Commie Scum

Drywall squeaks out the Mother of All Non-sequitors, making no sense and a fool of himself

Another Turn-Down Day at Hotair

nothing on my mind…………

Janos Hunyadi on August 11, 2008 at 7:41 PM

Dave Rywall on August 11, 2008 at 7:02 PM

The way it’s been for hundreds of years (boxing? gladiators?). Or we can be all pacifisty, and just dream of government control of everything, including censorship of Hot Air.

kirkill on August 11, 2008 at 7:46 PM

Fake but accurate?

Who didn’t see that one coming?

jdkchem on August 11, 2008 at 7:57 PM

DaveS on August 11, 2008 at 5:05 PM

Why do I get the feeling I’m being watched now…I also have a feeling that Silverlight honors the Great Firewall of China…no thanks. Microsoft is a little too cozy with Beijing for my tastes.

AUINSC on August 11, 2008 at 8:00 PM

I said it was fake when I saw it..I thought it was an artists rendition that happened outside of camera range and was soundly ridiculed at the bar.

Take that ya bunch of cougars!

CBarker on August 11, 2008 at 9:12 PM

I have a friend who was there, and he said that the fireworks and the ceremony were both absolutely amazing. So even if some of the fireworks were fake, the ones that were shot off were spectacular.

p40tiger on August 11, 2008 at 9:46 PM

I didn’t even get to the codec bullcrap, resize my windows and your window gets closed. Between pop-unders and focus-stealing and window-resizes, web designers are becoming real assholes.

Merovign on August 11, 2008 at 11:23 PM

WHAT A WHINER POST. IT’S JUST LIKE IF SOMEONE WE HATE DOES SOMETHING REALLY GOOD AND ALL WE CAN DO IS TRY TO FIND SOMETHING, ANYTHING TO TRY AND TAINT THEIR ACCOMPLISHMENT. ARE WE REALLY THAT SHALLOW.

THE EVENT WAS QUITE SPECTACULAR,

THEY ARE COMMUNIST,

GET OVER IT AND ENJOY THE OLYMPICS.

OR NOT.

Zaire67 on August 11, 2008 at 11:50 PM

Zaire67 on August 11, 2008 at 11:50 PM

Move your pinky a quarter of an inch to the left and TURN OFF THE CAPS LOCK KEY!!!1!

AUINSC on August 12, 2008 at 12:03 AM

Well this just sucks now.
It’s a real let down after having actually watched this on the TV. Now I wonder what else there is nothing but CGI.
Did they really have that many drummers?
Combine that with beach volleyball and tennis as “Olympic” sports and methinks it time for another several millennium break.

G-man on August 12, 2008 at 12:07 AM

Um… who cares? It was f’n awesome and made me all excited as I watched it on TV. And now thanks to you I am a little bit less excited.

AlexB on August 12, 2008 at 10:11 AM