New Obama ad: “Celebrity”

posted at 10:25 am on August 11, 2008 by Allahpundit

At long last, a blip on the brain-dead Obama ad team’s EEG meter. There’s enough sinister “Washington fat cat” voiceover to limit the backfire potential here in reminding viewers of McCain’s experience (just like there was enough snark in McCain’s celebrity ad to limit the backfire in reminding viewers how popular Obama is), but if you’re Team Barry, why do you want to keep this meme alive? Thanks to the exposure of McCain’s ad and Paris Hilton’s ad, and of course to ill-advised fundraisers like this, the “celebrity” label now points squarely at one candidate. To erase the connotation at this point would require an acid scrub, something cutting and memorable in its own right, and this just ain’t.

If they want to coopt the term, they’d be better off embracing it and turning the tables: Get a bunch of celebrities together (comedians preferably to blunt the sense of self-importance), have them start the ad by goofing on the idea of anyone caring what a celebrity would think, then have them say, “but for what it’s worth, here’s why I’m voting for Barack Obama” followed by listing some of his policy proposals. Tom Hanks did a freelance version of this idea a few months ago and it worked, but only because his own ego is perceived as being conspicuously less grandiose than most of Hollywood. The trick would be in finding other “non-celeb celebs” like that who aren’t off-puttingly attractive, vain, or shrill about their politics. Exit question: Why’d it take them so long after McCain’s ad to come back with this? Did they laugh off the “celebrity” dig initially only to find per recent polls that it was working? Or are they just, you know, brain dead?

Comments

The ad is cute, weak and completely forgettable.

fogw on August 11, 2008 at 10:29 AM

IMHO they are in that little elitist bubble that cannot even consider that anything other than East Coast or Wast Coast “values” matter at all.

bbz123 on August 11, 2008 at 10:29 AM

They have no sense of humor. If they did they would have gone with an ad like you suggested. No they are brain dead. This is a genuine attempt at rebuttal from a stung campaign that has no imagination yet mountains of entitlement and arrogance.

bj1126 on August 11, 2008 at 10:31 AM

The dims are the party of racism and class envy. Without hate they could not exist. This ad matches the one McCain hit Obama with. Should McCain whine about theirs like the spoiled brat responded to his?

volsense on August 11, 2008 at 10:31 AM

If Obama’s campaign wants to distance itself from the celebrity label why the heck did they make an ad that feels like a movie trailer? With the voice over, the music and the editing, I was expecting a big “Coming this November…” and an MPAA rating.

trubble on August 11, 2008 at 10:32 AM

The reason the paris hilton ad worked is because Americans don’t know much about Obama (there isn’t much to know) and celebrity seemed a good answer to that.

This doesn’t work because Americans do know a lot about McCain.

I think this ad reminds people that McCain is pretty cool too.

Rightwingsparkle on August 11, 2008 at 10:33 AM

Did they really use the same frame twice, and just flip it? “Lurching to the right, then the left.” When in the frame, he wasn’t even really visibly lurching?

What a dumb ad.

jimmy the notable on August 11, 2008 at 10:34 AM

That ad sucked – run it often, Barry

Think_b4_speaking on August 11, 2008 at 10:34 AM

And what, they showed him on The View, Jay Leno, and SNL? Hasn’t BO been on all 3 in the space of less than a year?

jimmy the notable on August 11, 2008 at 10:35 AM

Is that commercial seriously supposed to be some sort of “oooh, that’s going to leave a mark” rebuttal to McCain’s ad? Really? Because to me it looks like something an ad school dropout fashioned after mixing tequila and mescaline.

Honestly, I used to think that Team Barry was merely out of touch. This commercial makes me seriously question their sanity.

Physics Geek on August 11, 2008 at 10:36 AM

Hey AP, you’ll love this. Sky News thinks the Russians invaded Georgia – Georgia, USA! ROFLMAO!

“The current situation in Georgia is extremely alarming. There is a threat of even more large-scale Russian aggression against Georgia… Georgia faces an existential threat amid Russian aggression”

Background
Georgia is a state in the southern United States. Georgia was one of the Thirteen Colonies that revolted against British rule in the American Revolution. It was the last of the Thirteen Colonies to be established as a colony. It was the fourth state to ratify the United States Constitution, on January 2, 1788. Georgia is one of the fastest-growing states in the nation, with its population increasing from 8,186,453 in 2000 to an estimated 9,072,576 people in 2005. Georgia is also known as the Peach State and the Empire State of the South. Georgia is geographically the largest state east of the Mississippi River. The capital and largest city is Atlanta.

TheBigOldDog on August 11, 2008 at 10:38 AM

This ad makes the Obama campaign sound adolescent. “You called me a celebrity, so I’m gonna call you a celebrity.” As is the case in playground wars, it is completely ineffective.

Your Mama!
No, your Mama!

singlemalt_18 on August 11, 2008 at 10:38 AM

sad

trailortrash on August 11, 2008 at 10:39 AM

I think this is a positive ad for McCain. It shows how he worked with democrats and republicans and how he is admired by the left. Plus it pleases me to see McCain with Bush. A little something for republicans, democrats swaying to McCain, and independents.
Ad is very stupid for Obama. It made me like McCain a bit more.

jencab on August 11, 2008 at 10:40 AM

With that creepy wide grin of Obama’s at the end, I wonder why nobody’s photoshopped Joker makeup on him yet. I would if I had the skillz.

Oh wait. I just realized how horribly racist that would be…

Rhinoboy on August 11, 2008 at 10:40 AM

In all honesty all it does is reminds me that McCain actually has experience, and reminds me that Obama thinks he’s a rock star.

Canerican on August 11, 2008 at 10:41 AM

That ad sucked – run it often, Barry
Think_b4_speaking on August 11, 2008 at 10:34 AM

I hope they do.

And I’d like to see a counter ad to this with George W. Bush along the lines of:

*President Bush, in the oval office, feet up on his desk, wearing his cowboy boots with the presidential seal*

“Hello, I’m George W. Bush. In Barack Obama’s attack ad on John McCain, he shows me almost as much as McCain. So I guess I’m running now.”

“Well, to fill you in, Barack, I am not seeking a third term. Even thought I’d love to, and piss you people off with being forced to look at my smirking face for a total of 12 years. But no, it’s McCain that is running.”

“Excuse me while I finish this presidential daily briefing on the conflict with Russian and Georgia.” *reads the report, puts it down.* “Wow, Obama, you really don’t know jack sh*t about whats going on in the world, do you. But McCain does.”

“Oh, that’s right. Hillary said that McCain will bring his years of experience to the presidency. And you gave a speech.”

“I’m looking forward to seeing you in the senate, Barack.”

wise_man on August 11, 2008 at 10:42 AM

When the dims heard that Georgia had been invaded by the Russians, they thought it was the state of Georgia. Since they thought Georgia was going for McCain, they ignored any comment until after the election. Putin was sent a list of red states so he would not effect states voting for Obama.

volsense on August 11, 2008 at 10:44 AM

“Lurching to the right, then to the left. Saying whatever it takes . . .”

That’s so true: FISA, campaign finance, gun control, abortion, Iraq . . . . oh wait, was that a commercial about McCain or Obama?

I’m so confused.

AZCoyote on August 11, 2008 at 10:44 AM

Keep spending. Keep spending, Obama.

silverfox on August 11, 2008 at 10:44 AM

Can I vote for Paris Hilton?

sabbott on August 11, 2008 at 10:47 AM

I don’t know why the Obamites insist on putting out there ads in this streaming-only format. Unless you have a high-speed connection that is running 100%, the video is all starts/stops, and you don’t have the option of letting the thing download to view smoothly. It’s just stupid. All you got to do is post the silly thing on YouTube, and people can download it, and if it takes them five minutes, at least they will be able to see it.

But maybe The Big O’s target audience is more broadly banded than the rest of us…

gridlock2 on August 11, 2008 at 10:47 AM

TheBigOldDog on August 11, 2008 at 10:38 AM

Information generated by Wikipedia. Sky News takes no responsibility for its accuracy.

Buy Danish on August 11, 2008 at 10:49 AM

Headline: Messiah Says “Oink” While Getting In The Mud

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on August 11, 2008 at 10:49 AM

This is the best they could come up with? Really this is plan B? I guess Mrs McCain can start picking out the drapes GRIN.

Dr Evil on August 11, 2008 at 10:50 AM

That ad was totally ineffective. The tag line is exactly on-point: “I know you are but what am I?”

TO THE MCCAIN PEOPLE: Keep attacking Obama with the lightweight, elitist, leftist label!!! The man has a glass jaw.

TO THE 527 GROUPS: Ready the Revs. Wright, Pfleger, Moss, and the Ayers / Dohrn cannons. After the convention, fire at will!

Outlander on August 11, 2008 at 10:51 AM

In memoriam of Isaac Hayes:
Who’s the cat whom Oprah fawns over and kickstarted his campaign.

Obama!

Who’s the cat who hobknobs with Clooney and the hot foxy Scarlett Johansson.

Obama!

Who’s the guy who’s an awesome Celebr…

SHUT YO MOUTH!

I’m just talking about Obama!

Skywise on August 11, 2008 at 10:52 AM

The “going to the right, then the left” text actually makes him look bipartisan.

AlexB on August 11, 2008 at 10:52 AM

If I wasn’t drinking coffee at the time, I think this ad would have put me to sleep.

So, how much you think B.O. wasted…I mean, spent on this little ditty?

pilamaye on August 11, 2008 at 10:53 AM

“I’m looking forward to seeing you in the senate, Barack.”

… and going back to your usual routine of doing the same such as making claims that you are on a committee that you aren’t, and the committees that you actually are on, doesn’t show up for two thirds of the meetings so you remain as ignorant as you are now.

wise_man on August 11, 2008 at 10:54 AM

Is he still trying to play the whole Lobbyist angle? Didn’t that already backfire on Barack time and time again?

This is a sad attempt at copying a McCain ad, and whats worse it took his group 2 weeks to make. They just reused photos, found every video with McCain and Bush and did VO for their talking points.

2/10

Rbastid on August 11, 2008 at 10:54 AM

Obama is dumber than dirt and totally desperate to have tried this “negative association” approach. Can you say Rev. Jeremiah Wright, William Ayres, etc. the list is long and ugly. Oh yeah the MSM has already scrubbed our memories of The Messiahs errors in judgement….

dmann on August 11, 2008 at 10:55 AM

That was weak, Dude. McCain’s ad was funny and quite pointed. Obama’s ad is weak and clearly a total copycat.

Obama needs to learn how to have an original idea in his head. Is that even possible.

mjk on August 11, 2008 at 10:56 AM

This makes McCain look bad enough to be in Reservoir Dogs, but we pretty much know he cares about doing the right thing, even if we think he’s way off base. The music sounds like something from Swingers or some kind of wise cracking comedy.

Barack comes off as some sort of black Dick Van Dyke, a show he’s listed as one of his favorites.

Which looks better:

McCain vs. Putin… or Obama vs. Putin.

silverfox on August 11, 2008 at 10:57 AM

trubble on August 11, 2008 at 10:32 AM

Ha! I agree, there’s something too slick n’ slimy about this ad, somehow it lacks the gravitas that a political ad should have, even a “light” one.

Same with the “Hands” ad Obama’s been running during the Olympics – “the hands that grew potatoes are the hands that can mow rich leftists’ lawns in the new Obamerica” or whatever it is – the first several times I saw it I thought it was one of those feel-good Toyota commercials (“we’re not a foreign company, really we’re not, we do have some kinda connection to America you idiots”).

Too clever and overproduced. Hmm, remarkably like the candidate himself, come to think of it. Keep it up Barry!

Gilda on August 11, 2008 at 10:58 AM

The original was a bean ball. Barry doesn’t like to be ‘beaned’.

tarpon on August 11, 2008 at 10:59 AM

TheBigOldDog on August 11, 2008 at 10:38 AM

That’s bloody awesome, man!!! Who knew that Putin was such a big fan of Peaches and the Atlanta Braves?

Sky news is pathetic.

mjk on August 11, 2008 at 11:00 AM

Lame. Sure, Maverick was a celebrity when he was useful as a tool against Bush.

But I don’t see him hanging around with George C. Looney and other Hollywood twits any more.

Though maybe he can enlist Jon Voight for an ad. Now that might be interesting.

JammieWearingFool on August 11, 2008 at 11:02 AM

What a load of crybabying over nothing. Next.

Dave Rywall on August 11, 2008 at 11:03 AM

Weeeeak!!!

LtE126 on August 11, 2008 at 11:06 AM

What a load of crybabying over nothing. Next.
Dave Rywall on August 11, 2008 at 11:03 AM

Your assessment of Obamas attack ad on McCain is very accurate, dave! Obama really does show himself to be quite the crybaby in response to McCains ad.

wise_man on August 11, 2008 at 11:08 AM

Any reaction from Bob Herbert yet?

JammieWearingFool on August 11, 2008 at 11:10 AM

“Yo Mama’s so fat the back of her neck looks like a pack of hot dogs”

Barak Obama

LtE126 on August 11, 2008 at 11:18 AM

McCain’s ad was stupid, this ad was stupid.
You people score minus 36 billion on the objectivity scale.

Dave Rywall on August 11, 2008 at 11:39 AM

LtE126 on August 11, 2008 at 11:18 AM

Yo mama so fat she went to the movies and sat next to everyone.

– Barack Obama

fossten on August 11, 2008 at 11:44 AM

Yeah, I’ve got to echo some others here. Why should Obama, who is going to reach across party divisions and bring us all together, complaining about McCain lurching to the right and left?

And what’s with the code word “Lurch”? Are they making fun of his limited mobility? Obama hates disabled people!!!!!

(no, not really)

MayBee on August 11, 2008 at 11:48 AM

She so fat you have to use the Hubble to take her picture.

Rhinoboy on August 11, 2008 at 11:49 AM

She so fat she wakes up in sections.

fossten on August 11, 2008 at 11:51 AM

The second rule of advertising: Never pay to broadcast your competition’s name for them.

The first rule of advertising: Always make sure and highlight your own name in your commercials.

Ronald Reagan’s camp used to throw a party every time an opponent used his name and/or likeness in an ad – and then they retaliated by having Reagan tape another “Morning in America” commerical.

It’s at least theoretically possible that McCain might make some headway by showing Obama – at least for a few seconds – on TV in an unfavorable light.

But the media are doing everything they can to spike McCain. And here, Obama pastes his picture up for free. What are people going to remember, the Batman TV Show style camera angles and sinister voice-over, or a dozen images of John McCain surrounded by celebrities?

logis on August 11, 2008 at 11:56 AM

McCain’s ad was stupid, this ad was stupid.
You people score minus 36 billion on the objectivity scale

Oh, noes!!! Davie don’t like me!! He think I stupid!!! Wah, wah, wah1!

Plus he insult me by saying I not objective. I so saddddddddd.

mjk on August 11, 2008 at 12:03 PM

Worst result for Obama? McCain basically has to run his own ad in response. McCain’s ad is much more effective.

funky chicken on August 11, 2008 at 12:33 PM

It just goes to show you that they have to piggy back on other’s ideas because they have no original ones of their own…..

CynicalOptimist on August 11, 2008 at 12:40 PM

At least McCain’s not elitist! I mean, hes such a down to earth guy. Like the rest of middle and lower class Americans, he can’t be expected to remember how many houses he owns!

RoPa4life on August 11, 2008 at 12:49 PM

Wow! What a lame ad. I’m speechless and I don’t even like McCain. Is Obama paying these people?

ronsfi on August 11, 2008 at 12:58 PM

Like the Bush response idea.

Speaking of Georgia anybody else finding Google Maps is wiped of detail for the beleaguered republic?

i b squidly on August 11, 2008 at 1:47 PM

I’ve been noticing for the last few years that the supposedly fresh, hip democrats have absolutely no sense of humor. McCain’s ad was light-hearted and teasing. This ad is just petty and mean-spirited. These Democrats to lighten up! Plus, it just totally sucked.

mrsmwp on August 11, 2008 at 1:53 PM

Should have been:

These Democrats NEED to lighten up!

mrsmwp on August 11, 2008 at 1:54 PM

I know you are but what am I?

LOL. “I’m rubber, you’re glue, whatever you say bounces off me and sticks to you.” The Obama campaign’s chock full ‘o’ substance.

Django on August 11, 2008 at 2:25 PM

McCain billions in tax breaks for oil companies?

McCain voted against them, Obama voted for the tax breaks for the oil companies.

Chakra Hammer on August 11, 2008 at 3:53 PM

Django on August 11, 2008 at 2:25 PM

Obama is just a Rubber Stamp for Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid’s extreme socialism.

Chakra Hammer on August 11, 2008 at 3:55 PM

McCain Practices The Art Of War — Obama Arrogance Opens Up Death By A Thousand Cuts (08/09/08)
McCain is old!

We know he is old, he has admitted he is old, and he has even joked about it! The comedians have told us how old he is, even the media has slipped it into their stories as sly comments when they don’t outright state it.

McCain embraces his joke line!

Obama, either out of fear or out of arrogance, has gone out of his way to deny every single perceived error or flaw he may have.

He lost the ability to pick the laugh line — how he was defined!

David

LifeTrek on August 11, 2008 at 4:44 PM

I agree, this is a losing ad. Please do N O T fire your marketing team Obama!!!

allrsn on August 11, 2008 at 5:06 PM

God, that was horrible. I heard it on POTUS 08 this morning and thought, surely it looks better than it sounds. Nope.

rockmom on August 11, 2008 at 5:28 PM