Russians bomb Georgian city

posted at 11:40 am on August 9, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

Wouldn’t this constitute a war crime, if deliberate?  The Russians dropped bombs on the city of Gori today, killing civilians, while announcing that they had taken the capital of South Ossetia back from Georgia.  Meanwhile, the US struggles to find a response that will contain the aggression and hostilities, but Georgia has war on its mind:

Russian air attacks over northern Georgia intensified on Saturday morning, striking two apartment buildings in the city of Gori and clogging roads out of the area with fleeing refugees.

Russian authorities said their forces had retaken the South Ossetian capital, Tskhinvali, from Georgian control during the morning hours. They reported that 15 Russian peacekeepers and 1,500 civilians have been killed in the conflict.

Georgian forces shot down 10 Russian combat planes over the last two days, according to Alexander Lomaya, secretary of the Georgian National Security Council.

Shota Utiashvili, an official at the Georgian Interior Ministry, called the attack on Gori a “major escalation,” and said he expected attacks to increase over the course of Saturday. He said some 16 Russian planes were in the air over Georgian territory at any given time on Saturday, four times the number of sorties seen Friday.

The US received howls of criticism for its targeted strikes on insurgents who deliberately hid among civilians in Iraq and in Afghanistan.  Even Barack Obama criticized American tactics in the latter, saying that all we were doing was “air raiding villages and killing civilians”.  Israel got the same criticism during its war with Hezbollah, which also hid among civilians.

So when will we hear criticism from Obama, MoveOn, and the rest of the critics over these tactics by Russia?  Georgia is fielding a uniformed army, clearly identifiable and operating under command of the state.  Why does Russia need to bomb civilian centers under these conditions?

The US, meanwhile, has tried talking with both sides, but unsurprisingly have not gotten far with either.  Georgia claims that Russia started the war by supporting the separatist attacks and then escalated with their own attacks on Georgia proper; Russia claims that they are only fulfilling their role as peacekeepers and would stop if Georgia withdraws from South Ossetia.  The Russians claim that the US got taken aback by Georgia’s actions, praising our efforts to defuse the crisis but noting that those efforts proved fruitless.

We need to get both sides to stop fighting long enough to come back to the table.  Clearly, the Russian involvement in South Ossetia and Abkhazia has proven too much of a provocation for peace to return in the long term.  John McCain’s idea of a foreign force might be a better plan, if we can negotiate that with Russia and Georgia.  However, with our support of Kosovo’s independence, we had better be prepared for Russian support of independence for these two states, a complication I warned about in March.  We set the precedent, and the Russians followed suit.

Update: Here’s the video of Obama ripping American tactics in Afghanistan:

I await with bated breath his swift and merciless condemnation of Russian tactics.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5

Some very interesting comments on this thread…

One underlying thoughts comes to mind here. Any attempt at influence in this part of the world is like playing chess, but only when all the pieces are moving randomly about on the board, their strategy known only to other, unseen chessmasters.

A very dangerous game, indeed.

wccawa on August 10, 2008 at 12:03 PM

J_Gocht on August 10, 2008 at 11:29 AM

Referring to the general attitude and trending of the populace not to individual events. What you see in print, polls, on TV what average Joe Jane American thinks and feels. Just my opinion but I think in general the attitude here at home is let’s let the world take care of itself. Not saying that’s right or wrong just what I think the general attitude is.

Oldnuke on August 10, 2008 at 12:06 PM

Has anyone else had trouble posting to this one thread? I logged in half dozen times and could post to everything else including the headline comments but not this thread. I had to back out and clean my cache and delete cookies before I could get the comments box here.

Oldnuke on August 10, 2008 at 12:08 PM

Misha I on August 10, 2008 at 4:37 AM

Misha, have you been drinking the russian vodka again?

Have you not noticed:
1. The fly over in Alaska, Hawaii, and Florida of Russian military planes?
2. The fly over on U.S. Naval Ships of Russian military planes.
3. The Russians who are squaking about missiles in Greely, Hawaii, Poland, and other places, and saying that we will regret it.
4. The Russians who bitch and complain about how the western world is controlling the world, yet want the same damn thing.
5. Now taking over areas that were once part of the Mother Country that are high in natural resources and people who are more nationalistic then Americans.
6. Supposedly conserving their own Natural Resources and wanting the other little splintering countries to do the same, which they are not going too.
7. Trading or letting trading traffic not go thru. due to what they concider contraband in Russia is not in the splinter countries.

Give me a break. You seriously are becoming an Russian sypathizer. So tell me there Misha, have you ever thought that there are some that understand the threat and yet do not hate the Russians. I feel bad for the people who live there, but don’t tell me that I need to feel bad or sorry for a Country of aristrocrats who can’t even take care of their people and think they are a commodity!

Get a grip will you.

upinak on August 10, 2008 at 12:54 PM

Oldnuke on August 10, 2008 at 12:08 PM

Yeah but not on this thread. HA just goes through items. And it is eating posts again too…

upinak on August 10, 2008 at 12:55 PM

There, now it`s an even 400 posts. :)

ThePrez on August 10, 2008 at 1:38 PM

J_Gocht on August 10, 2008 at 9:31 AM

I mainly question MB4s silly tendency to talk big and down in a John Kerry sort of way where the claims made simply don’t fit the swagger or self-discipline expected. The personality type, like Kerry, which gets the early trip home to avoid being fragged.

He could claim he’s Bill Gates too and I’d say “sure he is.”

viking01 on August 10, 2008 at 2:56 PM

upinak on August 10, 2008 at 12:54 PM

Me thinks, me not sure though, that Misha may not like the Russians, but just have something against the Georgians.

MB4 on August 10, 2008 at 3:22 PM

J_Gocht on August 10, 2008 at 9:31 AM

He could claim he’s Bill Gates too and I’d say “sure he is.”

viking mouse01 on August 10, 2008 at 2:56 PM

If you get yourself any more confused you won’t even be able to find the bathroom with a blueprint and a guide dog.

BTW, if you had been paying more attention in class you would have noticed that John Kerry is not exactly my favorite person. You would also have noticed that I have never claimed to have won any big medals.

No one over in RVN ever wanted to frag me. You are projecting again.

MB4 on August 10, 2008 at 3:28 PM

BTW, viking mouse01 you seem to be the one who “talks big”, talking about how you have sent to prison “discontents”.

BTW, since you seem to be so interested in my Army service, what does your dd214 look like?

MB4 on August 10, 2008 at 3:32 PM

I mainly question MB4s silly tendency to talk big and down

viking mouse01 on August 10, 2008 at 2:56 PM

How could I, or most anyone, talk to a mouse like you, someone who can’t separate reality from fantasy (Anthony Freemont), who’s main “talent” is tossing early grade school insults about “inflatable girl friends” and “parole officers not looking” and not be talking down?

MB4 on August 10, 2008 at 3:37 PM

MB4 on August 10, 2008 at 3:32 PM

Wrong again, silly boy. I said my company has done so though if you must split hairs the ultimate responsibility for building the evidence is mine. If you had any concept of executive management, particularly if it is over several private companies, you’d understand that an owner can’t be in every city at every time particularly when malcontents such as yourself get hauled in.

We had to fire a guy like you only a week or so ago. He talked big, threw out acronyms to customers having better things to do with their time, became testy at the drop of a hat, yet never managed to haul his weight or walk the walk.

I have no interest in [your] Army service or claims thereto (real or imagined) though if as undisciplined as your current persona the outcome probably explains your bitterness and Kerry-esque preening.

Life is good! and you can’t change that. (for me at least)
Get over it man!

viking01 on August 10, 2008 at 3:44 PM

I am not a “macontent” and I have never been “hauled in” for anything. You are delusional.

We had to fire a guy like you only a week or so ago.

You have never fired “a guy like me”. I “guy like me” would never work for a delusional child like you.

You just think I “talk big” because you are such a little mouse. I have always “hauled my weight”, usually more than.

You are the one with the delusional imagination (Remember you were the one who thought that Anthony Freemont was real and that I had somehow “hacked in” to Hotair’s internals using my alien technology or something. . Maybe you still do.). I take it that is your way of saying you don’t have a dd214. I have enough discipline. I’m not the one who talks about “Blow up girl friends” and similar early grade school things, that is you). I’m not bitter, you on the other hand however, and I don’t preen. You just think that I preen as you are so easy to put down, like a mouse.

Life is good! and you can’t change that. (for me at least)
Get over it man!

viking01 on August 10, 2008 at 3:44 PM

I’m not trying to change your life. I’m not your momma. You are becoming paranoid delusional. It’s up to your HMO to treat you for your delusions, if you would just seek treatment. And on the “issue” over “get over it”, you need to get over me and stop stalking me, tap, tap, mouse.

Particularly, I just have to add, as you aren’t even a very good cat toy. Yawn.

MB4 on August 10, 2008 at 4:18 PM

I have no interest in [your] Army service or claims thereto (real or imagined)

viking mouse01 on August 10, 2008 at 3:44 PM

Oh now that’s a real laugh as you seemed to have become obsessed with it along with the rest of me.

BTW, you don’t really think that you are a Viking do you? I mean you have got enough problems separating fantasy from reality as it is.

MB4 on August 10, 2008 at 4:25 PM

I had best stop tormenting you mouse or my “she who must be obeyed” will be all over me for picking on a special needs child.

MB4 on August 10, 2008 at 4:29 PM

MB4 on August 10, 2008 at 3:22 PM

You’re wrong on both accounts :-)

I do like the Russians, I wasn’t aware that was a sin, but I’m not too fond of Putin. Problem is, the only reason he came to power was because of our containment policies regarding Russia. Russians don’t like it when their border states are being gobbled up by foreign alliances while they themselves aren’t invited in. They get nervous which, from studying their history, isn’t all that surprising. And when the foreigners who won’t play with them have no problem kissing up to their arch enemies, the commie Chinese, they get really nervous. And resentful. So they decided that it would be in their own best interest to get big and strong in a hurry again, just in case something bad should happen in the future. And that’s how Putin got into power. You can thank our addiction to cheap, lead-based communist Chinese crap for that.

I don’t like Putin or the direction that Russia is going in these days, not one little tiny bit, but I sure understand how they might have reasoned that it was their only choice.

As to the Georgians, I really don’t have anything for or against them. Other than their policy of refusing to let ethnical minorities secede and rejoin their Ossetian brothers in the North after having been separated from them by Josef Stalin, that is. I’d think that a country (Georgia) born from secession would understand how sometimes you don’t want to remain in the company you’ve been forced to be in, but apparently they’ve all contracted selective amnesia on that issue. Most of all, I don’t really see how getting involved in a shooting war with Russia over a parcel of land that wants nothing to do with you is in any way “rational.”

But I also realize that the Georgians are our good allies and that we can’t just sit by and watch them get mauled, no matter how much it’s their own fault that it’s come to this.

I don’t pretend to know the how, but I think that Georgia finally letting go of South Ossetia might be a good start. If they do, then there’s no longer a conflict and the Russians no longer have an excuse to be involved.

One thing’s for sure, though: I’ll be damned if I’ll support going to war with Russia over South Ossetia.

Misha I on August 10, 2008 at 4:45 PM

I’m patiently waiting for a call from the peace loving Left for a march on the Russian embassy. Should I wait until Hell freezes over.

amr on August 10, 2008 at 4:58 PM

upinak on August 10, 2008 at 12:54 PM

“This whole thing could blow up in our face”.

Johan Klaus on August 10, 2008 at 6:09 PM

“This whole thing could blow up in our face”.

Johan Klaus on August 10, 2008 at 6:09 PM

Ahh so true.

upinak on August 10, 2008 at 6:13 PM

I do like the Russians, I wasn’t aware that was a sin,

Now you are.

What exactly is it about their history that makes them nervous? The blight they brought upon the face of the earth when they spawned communism? The forced assimilation and attempt to dominate the mind, body and soul of countless tiny nations? The killing of millions of people through outright murder and pure unadultered incompetence? Their continued attempts to dominate foreing nations through harrassment, intimidation and infestation of their governments? Russia’s people shouldn’t fear outsiders. Outsiders should fear Russia’s people.

That’s funny, my neighbourhood is swarmed with Russian stores selling Russian junk.

So can I: they reasoned it was their only choice because they’re ultra-possesive, evil psychopaths.

[quote]As to the Georgians, I really don’t have anything for or against them. Other than their policy of refusing to let ethnical minorities secede and rejoin their Ossetian brothers in the North after having been separated from them by Josef Stalin, that is.[/quote]

Why not have North Ossetia split from Russia and become part of Georgia instead? Oh yeah, because Ossetians were willing soviet colaborators held in high regard throughout the empire. Now they want Georgia’s land as a reward. Screw them. If they want to be with their “brothers” let them move to Russia. Most likely Russia let Georgia have South Ossetia so they can more easily infiltrate its government and now that they’re done they want it back.

It’s not that they have amnesia, it’s that you’re ignorant of the region’s history.

The land belongs to Georgia. They were decent enough to allow them to settle there after being chased away by the Mongols and the Ossetians rewarded them by selling them out to the Great Soviet Empire. Again, if they feel such a strong need to verbally, mentally and spiritually fellate modern Russia the ungrateful bastards can just move there, but I don’t see why Georgia should have to give up its territory to the blight that is Russia.

The land doesn’t want, period. It’s the people there that don’t want anything to do with them.

Misha I on August 10, 2008 at 4:45 PM

Well Comrade, I’m glad you’re willing to toss the Georgians a bone, small though it may be, after prostrating yourself at Lenin’s feet.

Darth Executor on August 10, 2008 at 7:31 PM

MB4 on August 10, 2008 at 4:18 PM
MB4 on August 10, 2008 at 4:25 PM
MB4 on August 10, 2008 at 4:29 PM

Solid entertainment value of how much it must suck to be you.

viking01 on August 10, 2008 at 8:22 PM

viking01 on August 10, 2008 at 8:22 PM

lol!!!

jerrytbg on August 10, 2008 at 8:32 PM

viking01 on August 10, 2008 at 8:22 PM

See what I mean…? You’re hav’in a great time!

We keep you sharp! On your toes! Name of our[s]… “your’s and mine” mind game; Vike_01.

BTW: Are “wingtips” still in fashion in the executive board room or is it pretty much casual Friday all week?

Sorry for the late post, just flew in from Georgia…Atlanta that is.

J_Gocht on August 10, 2008 at 9:54 PM

Misha I on August 10, 2008 at 1:27 AM

If I, may ask sir or madame…?

Do you enjoy monastery-aged Irish whiskey?
Did you ever have “digs” in Berlin?

Are you an olde soldier…?

J_Gocht on August 10, 2008 at 10:26 PM

Oh great, so we need a Georgian Gim now? LMFAO!
upinak on August 10, 2008 at 1:12 AM

Would a Wisconsin Jim work…?

Were you able to find any dry firewood? Alaska is almost at the same latitude as Wisconsin, how cold is it up there?

J_Gocht on August 10, 2008 at 11:01 PM

J_Gocht on August 10, 2008 at 9:54 PM

Thanks and salutes. Sometimes it seems like hugs after the boxing match! A lot has gone very well this past week and weekend which keeps me centered on how life is too short to waste it on anger. I love a good debate even if it sometimes means friendly yelling though getting a cold beer together afterwards should always be part of the deal. Even if limited to raising a glass from a few hundred or few thousand miles away.

I’m not sure how to answer about the dress code. I probably was born in a button down shirt though I’ll always go more formal if it makes the clients happy. Just the same I don’t want to look overly polished lest the clients think I’m cruising. Same for the rest of my colleagues who I always say work with us than “for” us. If it wasn’t for them we’d all be in a fix. Mostly it’s sports jackets for everybody around here.

I’ll have to check out some of that monastery-aged whiskey. That sound good. Real good.

viking01 on August 10, 2008 at 11:03 PM

viking01 on August 10, 2008 at 11:03 PM
‘…I probably was born in a button down shirt though I’ll always go more formal if it makes the clients happy.”

Hey you’re a “fifty’s kinda guy too…

No “dorm dork” just my kinda “frat rat…!
Gotta luv yah…!

My daughter, she’s totally into the PR environment. She runs her own unit all over the world, from Las Vegas to Dubai.
“Thank you Pops!”

Personally, I’m a bit skeptical.

“…life is too short to waste it on anger. I love a good debate even if it sometimes means friendly yelling though getting a cold beer together afterwards should always be part of the deal. Even if limited to raising a glass from a few hundred or few thousand miles away. viking01 on August 10, 2008 at 11:03 PM

Vike_01, I like that.

Strikes me as the olde “A Team” spirit!

You cudda’ picked up ciggy butts with the Colonel and me… at 0600 on the parade grounds!
I’d follow that SF Colonel, anywhere, anytime, anyplace!

Absolutely… life is too short!
I’d do “police call” with you Viking_01, any day…!

J_Gocht on August 10, 2008 at 11:39 PM

There is one way to get the Air Force in area and help the Georgians. Load the brigade of Georgian troops in Iraq on C-17′s. Load some extra ammo and any fire and forget anti-tank and anti-aircraft weapon systems we aren’t using now. Don’t bother taking the serial numbers off.
Broadcast to the Russians we are going to land the troops at the Tbilisi international airport.
Escort the transports with lots of F-22′s, a couple of AWACS, and tanker support. We are a peaceful nation returning people to their home.
We absolutely want no trouble. But we have a pretty loose ROE. No Russians taking the first shot. Now you Russian aviators – play nice, and stay in your O-clubs until we’re gone.

NaCly dog on August 11, 2008 at 12:21 AM

HJM&Joseph…!
Are you part of the “……….. Advance Team”…?

J_Gocht on August 11, 2008 at 12:28 AM

HJM&Joseph…!
That’s…
Holy,Jesus,Mary, and you know who…?

J_Gocht on August 11, 2008 at 12:36 AM

The world is cowardly in these matters. A Democrat President who would make the world happy will be a disaster.

To avert future conflict, we need to hit the Russians hard now. Then, this gambit of Putin’s will backfire on him. Otherwise, he is the newest addition to the axis of evil.

Phil Byler on August 11, 2008 at 1:17 AM

If I, may ask sir or madame…?

Do you enjoy monastery-aged Irish whiskey?
Did you ever have “digs” in Berlin?

Are you an olde soldier…?

J_Gocht on August 10, 2008 at 10:26 PM

Sir. Or Mr. Making “Misha” a girl’s name was a western idea :-)

Do I enjoy monastery-aged Irish whiskey??? Pass it on, mate! We’ll share it and solve all of the world’s problems until we both pass out.

Berlin? No. A number of other interesting locations, but I never had any digs in Berlin.

And yes, I am an Olde Soldier, though I tend to scoff at the “Olde” bit ;-)

Misha I on August 11, 2008 at 1:39 AM

Phil Byler on August 11, 2008 at 1:17 AM

Yes, we definitely need to start WW IV right away, particularly to protect Georgia’s right to unprovokedly rain artillery and rocket fire down on a piece of land that we have absolutely no interest in whatsoever.

/sarc

Misha I on August 11, 2008 at 1:42 AM

Solid entertainment value of how much it must suck to be you.

vikingmouse tap tap01 on August 10, 2008 at 8:22 PM

Sorry I was absent for a while, but had some “to do’s” to well, do. Did you miss me? Keep eating your heart out mouse. I know you are or you would not get so upset.

MB4 on August 11, 2008 at 4:18 AM

Now that rings a bell. Where have I heard something like that before? Oh, now I remember.

I do like the Germans, I wasn’t aware that was a sin, but I’m not too fond of Hitler. Problem is, the only reason he came to power was because of our containment (Treaty of Versailles) policies regarding Germany.

Misha I on August 10, 2008 at 4:45 PM

I’m with you there bro. This cannon cocker/gun bunny ain’t joinin’ any expeditionary force to take South Ossetia back either.

MB4 on August 11, 2008 at 4:30 AM

We let the bully catch his breath and Putin is the best of the best of the bullies. He is one of the most elite KGB there ever was.

MB4 on August 11, 2008 at 4:49 AM

OUTSIDE TSKHINVALI, Georgia, Aug. 10 — The Georgian army, suffering massive casualties in the face of overwhelming Russian firepower, retreated from the breakaway region of South Ossetia on Sunday. Georgian leaders’ recent expressions of defiance turned increasingly into pleas for a cease-fire and Western support in the face of a military debacle.

Russia ignored calls for a truce and continued to bomb targets deep in Georgia, with little apparent opposition, drawing new condemnation from the United States and other Western countries. President Bush spoke of his “grave concern about the disproportionate response,” and the White House warned of serious setbacks in relations with Russia if the onslaught against a close U.S. ally did not end.
- Peter Finn

MB4 on August 11, 2008 at 4:52 AM

Russia is also, thanks largely to oil, etc., now awash in $$$.

Russia’s foreign reserves climb to $406.6 billion

MB4 on August 11, 2008 at 4:56 AM

OUTSIDE TSKHINVALI, Georgia, Aug. 10 — Georgia’s retreat is translating into popular anger among Poles Georgians against the United States and the European Union, and a widespread sentiment that this small, pro-Western country has been abandoned to face Russia alone.

MB4 on August 11, 2008 at 5:27 AM

We set the precedent, and the Russians followed suit.

Don’t seem to recall our support for Kosovar independence being followed by an all out blitz by U.S. air and ground forces Cap, nor do I believe for a second that either of these rebel provinces will ever be independent (at least of Russia) but if you say so…

SuperCool on August 11, 2008 at 5:52 AM

DEBKAfile’s military sources note that the arrival of the three new American flotillas will raise to five the number of US strike forces in Middle East waters – an unprecedented build-up since the crisis erupted over Iran’s nuclear program.

This vast naval and air strength consists of more than 40 carriers, warships and submarines, some of the last nuclear-armed, opposite the Islamic Republic, a concentration last seen just before the US-led invasion of Iraq in 2003.

DEBKAfile’s military sources name the three US strike forces en route to the Gulf as the USS Theodore Roosevelt , the USS Ronald Reagan and the USS Iwo Jima . Already in place are the USS Abraham Lincoln in the Arabian Sea opposite Iranian shores and the USS Peleliu which is cruising in the Red Sea and Gulf of Aden.

Massive bluff or ready to “rock and roll”? You decide.

MB4 on August 11, 2008 at 6:01 AM

Bush whispering “unacceptable behavior” in Putin’s ear only made things worse for Georgians.

THIS is exactly the reason our troops were stationed in Germany following WWII. Lame duck or not, Bush must rattle our sabers in Europe. It ALWAYS comes back to that part of the world, where Europe and Asia conflict in the meeting. Don’t allow Georgia’s murder like an unwanted baby abused by the Russian stepfather.

maverick muse on August 11, 2008 at 9:59 AM

Too many comments to read, but just in case this hasn’t been mentioned:
Did you support the foolish decision to recognize the pseudo-state of Kosovo?

corona on August 11, 2008 at 10:09 AM

“Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, in order to assure the survival and the success of liberty.”

pseudonominus on August 11, 2008 at 10:18 AM

Take a wild guess which side the lefty bloggers have taken on this conflict.

That’s right…Comrade Putey.