Blowback starts: Hunter’s family challenges Edwards to paternity test

posted at 10:50 am on August 9, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

How badly did John Edwards blow his confession last night on ABC?  He managed to infuriate the family of his paramour, Rielle Hunter, into challenging Edwards to a paternity test:

In the first reaction from Hunter’s family, her younger sister Melissa told ABC News that Edwards should immediately follow through on his pledge to take a paternity test.

“I would challenge him to do so,” the sister said. “Somebody must stand up and defend my sister,” she said. “I wish that those involved would refrain from bad-mouthing my sister.”

In his interview with ABC News correspondent Bob Woodruff acknowledging the affair, Edwards said he knew the child was not his because of “the timing” of the pregnancy and the affair.

Edwards’ attempt to salvage some shred of his personal reputation at the expense of Rielle Hunter has caused this blowback.  Let’s consider Melissa’s wrath for a moment.  It springs from the notion that Edwards and Hunter didn’t have anything more than a physical affair and that Rielle slept with his campaign manager at nearly the same time — which certainly paints Hunter as something less than a virtuous woman.

Now, why would Hunter’s sister publicly challenge Edwards to take that paternity test?  It certainly isn’t to encourage him to clear his name, as the rest of the article makes Melissa’s hostility plain.  Melissa apparently has some knowledge of her niece’s paternity.  This strongly indicates that Edwards indeed fathered the child, and that Edwards is still lying.

Why would he do that?  If Edwards fathered the child, it means that the affair continued into May 2007, rather than ending in 2006 as Edwards claims.  Edwards and his campaign announced the recurrence of his wife’s cancer months before May 2007, which means Edwards continued his affair with Rielle while his wife was seriously ill.

All Edwards had to do was either admit to the whole thing at once, or treat Rielle Hunter as something better than a frat-house groupie in his confession.  Unfortunately, once again he proved himself so self-absorbed that he couldn’t see the honest way out.

Comments

How do you bad-mouth a slut?

corona on August 9, 2008 at 10:53 AM

On the next Maury, John Edwards you are . . .

koolbrease on August 9, 2008 at 10:57 AM

depends on what you mean by time IS

rico101 on August 9, 2008 at 10:58 AM

Corona: By being worse than the slut?

oldirishpig on August 9, 2008 at 10:59 AM

Is anyone really surprised? Edwards is and always has been a slimeball.

katieanne on August 9, 2008 at 11:00 AM

I don’t understand all this Edwards crap when Russia has invaded one of our Allies. Look at what they are doing.

ronsfi on August 9, 2008 at 11:01 AM

How do you bad-mouth a slut?

corona on August 9, 2008 at 10:53 AM

I notice that any woman that has an affair with a Democrat is automatically branded as a slut, while any woman that has an affair with a Republican is “Mary Mother of God.”

Do I detect a double standard? I’m shocked. Shocked do you hear.

Linh_My on August 9, 2008 at 11:02 AM

Couldn’t happen to a more deserving sleazeball.

Bet’cha a cookie that Johnny is the ‘Daddy Of The Year’…

rockbend on August 9, 2008 at 11:03 AM

Why didn’t he fess up to all of it? My theory:

Probably Silky figures he’ll take less heat if he confesses incrementally. First he admits to the tryst. Then, after the storm dies down and folks lose interest in the story, he admits to the love child.

The fly in that ointment is that his role in the cover-up may soon overshadow all else.

petefrt on August 9, 2008 at 11:04 AM

Two tests, one for Silky, and one for Andrew Young. Solved.

What will Olbermann say to all this? Can’t wait for that thread.

Entelechy on August 9, 2008 at 11:06 AM

How do you bad-mouth a slut?

corona on August 9, 2008 at 10:53 AM

By mocking his silky hair ?

William Amos on August 9, 2008 at 11:07 AM

I think he’s trying to reinvent the China Syndrome.

OldEnglish on August 9, 2008 at 11:10 AM

Maybe the 2% the National Enquirer got wrong is the only truth

“…but I didn’t love her” ~ ~ The Silky Pony

Laura Ingraham should get paid every time this truth is referenced.

Entelechy on August 9, 2008 at 11:10 AM

Time to roll out the Edwards Paternity Test. 99% Inaccurate!

Gilda on August 9, 2008 at 11:11 AM

Most of us still hold home wreckers and camp followers at different levels of distain. Home wreckers are callous and self-centered, if not to the degree that the man they cheat with. Camp followers are just pathetic.

That distinction may be lost to the victim of marital infidelity, but it is important to the woman. And in this case, it’s important to all involved parties because it establishes whether Edwards was still playing Johnny Appleseed when his wife was fighting for her life.

It never ceases to amaze me how some women will stand by their man to the point of covering for his lies. Whether it is cold calculation or just a desperate state of denial, I don’t know. The problem, at least for the Edwards, is that denial always fails in the end. When it does, the wound is opened again, fresh and hot.

I’m not going to pretend that I care about the Edwards. I don’t. They live a life of priveledge in a world that I can’t really identify with. But from the meanest peasant to the loftiest king, the human cost of betrayal must always be paid in full. I hope they find a way to make this sordid affair private again.

Immolate on August 9, 2008 at 11:13 AM

I think the bad times for Silky are only beginning. He is still lying thru his teeth, and the ABC “interview” was nothing but situation management – as was Mrs. Edwards statement.

They are both lawyers sound like legal briefs, and Silky’s grinning exposed his spinning.

singlemalt_18 on August 9, 2008 at 11:14 AM

Well, he painted himself into a corner by offering to take a test to clear himself. Sounds like he was banking on the mother’s reluctance to give permission based on payoff. He made a big boner.:) I suspect his comment on not loving her may not have been the wisest thing to say. I’d say it is throwdown time. Time for Johnny to push all those chips into the pot and pray he gambled wisely.

a capella on August 9, 2008 at 11:15 AM

But Rielle Hunter is an active participant in this facade so I’m not so sure her sister can complain. The fact that Rielle was sleeping with a married man and that she probably had day to day contact with his wife means she certainty was not a virtuous woman. I’m happy that she is demanding a paternity test because this cover up has reached ridiculous proportions. Having all these people lie on your behalf? Millions of dollars spent in the cover up?

Blake on August 9, 2008 at 11:15 AM

Gilda on August 9, 2008 at 11:11 AM

You are really good at that! Thats perfect!

becki51758 on August 9, 2008 at 11:16 AM

Edwards said he went to the hotel to talk to her because he was afraid she would reveal the affair. After all this time and with her accepting all this money, why was he afraid that she was going to spill the beans?

Blake on August 9, 2008 at 11:17 AM

Truly the only story here is the media story. I think we can prove by all the trash on TV that this sort of thing happens everyday although most of the folks aren’t so high profile. The “good” thing about the situation is that the media cannot deny that it has a double standard. If they want to admit their bias and report as usual that’s fine but don’t look me in the eyes and tell me I am blind.

Cindy Munford on August 9, 2008 at 11:17 AM

Based on news reports, I’m under the impression that Rielle Hunter believes Edwards is the father. I suppose she would know…

Gilda on August 9, 2008 at 11:18 AM

Ed, you called her Rielle Edwards in the second sentence. It’s Rielle Hunter, at least for now.

Brainster on August 9, 2008 at 11:18 AM

If the kid is his (and I don’t doubt it) then he will be expected to be somewhat of a father to the little girl. I’m sure Elizabeth Edwards welcomes having her husband’s illegitimate daughter and his mistress back into her life.

Blake on August 9, 2008 at 11:19 AM

She is a slut. It takes two to tango as the saying goes. Hello? Was there anyone on the campaign staff she didn’t relate with?

I suppose Edwards must be thinking how in the world he found the only hot chick on the Left who doesn’t believe in abortion.

Edwards deserves no sympathy – he’s a scumbag. Hunter doesn’t either – she’s a tramp.

catmman on August 9, 2008 at 11:19 AM

Hey Ed…

He managed to infuriate the family of his paramour, Rielle Edwards,

Rielle Edwards?

Wade on August 9, 2008 at 11:20 AM

Edwards: Oops!! I meant to say I was fond of Rielle. Yeah, yeah, fond! How’s that work?

Dusty on August 9, 2008 at 11:20 AM

Some people took what John Edwards said last night to indicate Rielle Hunter was blackmailing him, and he went to the Hilton to try to fend off a shake-down. That’s the going theory at TalkLeft.

So yeah, her family would bristle at that, I think.

MayBee on August 9, 2008 at 11:22 AM

Say Goodbye, Silky Penis.

MartyB on August 9, 2008 at 11:24 AM

John Edwards is at this moment channeling the spirit of the love child.

“What little child???? You say I am not your daddy? Well that cinches it! No further proof is required.”

Talon on August 9, 2008 at 11:24 AM

That fellow who wrote the novel based on Hunter’s (then known as Lisa Druck’s) life in NY described her as cocaine-addled and sexually voracious, according to the article on FoxNews.com. “Something less than a virtuous woman” is probably the kindest way anybody could describe Hunter.

And it was funny reading her sister’s quotes about wanting to defend Hunter’s “honor.” What honor? This woman knew exactly who Edwards was when she met him in 2006. She knew he was rich, she knew he was married, she knew he had young kids, she knew his wife had cancer. But none of that stopped her from starting an affair with him and letting him put her on his campaign’s payroll.

AZCoyote on August 9, 2008 at 11:27 AM

She is currently being well provided for and would have no need to black mail him. As to the future, she has every right to make sure he provides for his daughter. That’s not blackmail.

Blake on August 9, 2008 at 11:28 AM

I guess we’ll have to wait until next Friday at 5 pm for more details from Edwards.

JammieWearingFool on August 9, 2008 at 11:29 AM

I’m sure Andrew Sullivan or David Gregory or Anderson Cooper would “lend a hand” to help work up a lather from Silky for the evidence.

LtE126 on August 9, 2008 at 11:31 AM

Knowing your sister is a slut is one thing, hearing people call her a slut is another. I think it is admirable she spoke out for her sister.

Blake on August 9, 2008 at 11:31 AM

Lee Stranahan, the guy who was banned from Kos for sounding the warning on this story, made a good point the other day:

Andrew Young claims to be the father of the baby. If he really is the father, then he could take some of the heat off of Edwards by taking a paternity test. So why hasn’t he done so? Why does he continue to let Edwards be the subject of all this speculation, when he could easily end it by doing the DNA test?

juliesa on August 9, 2008 at 11:33 AM

The illegitimate baby was caused by global warming.

jeff_from_mpls on August 9, 2008 at 11:34 AM

catmman on August 9, 2008 at 11:19 AM

Why would she abort if there’s a rich father sucker involved?

OldEnglish on August 9, 2008 at 11:35 AM

So who will Edwards con into taking the paternity test for him?

GarandFan on August 9, 2008 at 11:35 AM

“This thing isn’t over yet. If it turns out that Edwards really is the father, he’ll go down as having made one of the dumbest moves ever by lying again on national tv.

juliesa on August 9, 2008 at 11:33 AM”

I hate Clinton, always have always will. But I must admit when he did the “I did not have sexual relations” thing looking right into the camera I mean THE BALLS!!! to do that…at that point I became a political junkie for life.

Thank you Bill.

LtE126 on August 9, 2008 at 11:37 AM

juliesa on August 9, 2008 at 11:33 AM

My guess is he’s hoping he can delay the inevitable (having to admit he’s the father) until after Elizabeth Edwards is gone. Then he will try to justify his lying about the paternity issue by saying that he was just trying to spare his wife additional pain.

AZCoyote on August 9, 2008 at 11:37 AM

Because the longer he refuses the longer he gets to stay in that 5. something million dollar home north of Santa Barbara. You don’t think that when the shite hits the fan they are still going to pay him to stay there, do you?

Blake on August 9, 2008 at 11:38 AM

Best wishes for the child, Looks like the innocent lose again.

Guest1.1 on August 9, 2008 at 11:39 AM

The illegitimate baby was caused by global warming.

If you’ve ever changed a poopy diaper, no doubt about it.

Blake on August 9, 2008 at 11:40 AM

Everybody’s probably going to slam me for this, but I don’t care, here goes: Before we completely judge this woman as the worst person in the world, let’s remember she did do at least 1 virtuous thing that I admire: She didn’t kill the baby to save her and Silky Pony’s reputations. Go ahead and post that the only reason she did it was for the child support, blah blah blah, but aren’t there a lot of here pro-lifers, and don’t we want to at least give her credit for choosing life? I do.

JustTruth101 on August 9, 2008 at 11:41 AM

“Silky and his campaign manager slept with her at “nearly” the same time, Are we talking Minutes, Hours or Days?”

Maybe they double teamed her. That means he IS the ghey like we thought. Not from personal experience now, but…you can’t do that without your junk bumping into another set of junk. And if you can do the bump up…you ARE the ghey.

LtE126 on August 9, 2008 at 11:43 AM

She didn’t kill the baby to save her and Silky Pony’s reputations.

She had no reputation to protect. And I wouldn’t assume that she didn’t want a baby and at her age it was her last chance. Plus, in this day and age there is no reason for anyone to get pregnant if they don’t want to. So, no, I think her getting pregnant was a completely selfish act and only made worse by the fact that she boinked a dying woman’s husband in order to do so.

Blake on August 9, 2008 at 11:47 AM

Also, she didn’t do protect his reputation, did she? This coverup was doom to explode. If she wanted to keep the father a secret, she would just have faded back into the obscurity form which she came.

Blake on August 9, 2008 at 11:49 AM

JustTruth101 on August 9, 2008 at 11:41 AM

I get your point, but it’s hard to know how “virtuous” this woman’s actions were. If she deliberately conceived a baby because she wanted to ensure a steady stream of (large) income for the next two decades, or because she hopes to persuade Edwards to marry her once Elizabeth is gone (as some of her friends are reportedly saying is the case), then it seems that her decision to keep the baby was motivated more by selfishness and/or greed than by any sense of responsibility or respect for life.

AZCoyote on August 9, 2008 at 11:49 AM

Also, she didn’t do protect his reputation, did she?

Blake on August 9, 2008 at 11:49 AM

What about Andrew Young? Why in the world would you allow yourself and your family to become a part of this story? I realize that I have nothing in common with these people but it is like they are from a different planet. Imagine if you will that you approached your wife to tell her that either you are the father of another woman’s child and it must become public to save the reputation of another man OR you are not the father of said child but must say so to save the reputation of another man. Mrs. Young must be a very special woman.

Cindy Munford on August 9, 2008 at 11:54 AM

Time to roll out the Edwards Paternity Test. 99% Inaccurate!

Gilda on August 9, 2008 at 11:11 AM

Did you do that? That is seven different kinds of awesome. LOL

inviolet on August 9, 2008 at 12:04 PM

It takes two to tango. Maybe your sister is a gold diggin’ who-er.
Oh what a wicked web we weave when first we practice to deceive.

TheSitRep on August 9, 2008 at 12:06 PM

Silky and his campaign manager slept with her at “nearly” the same time,

[Guest1.1 on August 9, 2008 at 11:39 AM]

Is that true? Did Rielle confirm that Andrew Young is the father or are we only at the level of Andrew Young claiming to be the father and Rielle staying mum. I’m just asking as I don’t recall the status of the he-said she-said in this soap opera.

I won’t discount that stereotypical id of those in Rielle’s profession and the company ditzy ones keep, lending to the feeling she’s a bed hopper, and I have no clue of Rielle’s past bad publicity but if Young ain’t the father, then we can just as easily be at the monogamous Rielle being taken in by the charms of the Pony and then thrown aside when she became pregnant.

That of course carries us into how, in this day and age, did Rielle get pregnant and whether trapping the John ‘wily lawyer and idiot’ Edwards became a plan for a) blackmail or reacting to b) you thought I was going to get a divorce because I told you I was?

Dusty on August 9, 2008 at 12:08 PM

That is my guess too.

How is Elizabeth doing right now (besides pissed)? Anyone know her prognosis beyond “incurable?”

Bob's Kid on August 9, 2008 at 12:12 PM

I corrected the “Rielle Edwards” mistake — thanks for the tip.

Ed Morrissey on August 9, 2008 at 12:13 PM

Edwards found a new paint color at Home Depot.

It’s called “Blonde”.

It ain’t real bright as colors go, but it does spread easy…

catmman on August 9, 2008 at 12:24 PM

Perhaps he’s shooting for so much resume enhancement that Obama has to pick him for the VP slot.

aikidoka on August 9, 2008 at 12:25 PM

So Edwards thought people would believe the affair ended in 2006, after his secretive 2:00 AM meeting in a hotel room in 2008 and continuing payments for no work?

The only effective explanations are blackmail and child support payments.

Right_of_Attila on August 9, 2008 at 12:25 PM

inviolet on August 9, 2008 at 12:04 PM

Yep. I occasionally make goofy pictures. For entertainment purposes only, of course!

Gilda on August 9, 2008 at 12:27 PM

Edwards proves once again that liberals learned nothing of value from the Clinton years.

whitetop on August 9, 2008 at 12:32 PM

Guess who was Father of the Year, 2007?

catmman on August 9, 2008 at 12:48 PM

OMG, this is so dumb. Why are we attacking her. All she did was be dumb enough to think Edwards was worth sleeping with. She’s the victim in this. She got conned by a slimeball. It takes two to tango, but doesn’t mean they are equally guilty. She’s at least the single one…

BadBrad on August 9, 2008 at 12:55 PM

BadBrad on August 9, 2008 at 12:55 PM

Some of what you say might hold water – if Hunter didn’t know John Edwards was married and that his wife is dying of cancer.

How did she get conned exactly?

catmman on August 9, 2008 at 12:59 PM

Dusty on August 9, 2008 at 12:08 PM

“Nearly at the same time” was taken from the intro provided by Ed
I personally Do not believe she slept with both of them.
1. She slept with Silky while he was a contender for the nomination.
2. If anything happened with the Mrs, She would be there to help Silky get through it and work her way to a possible first Lady Spot.(I believe the baby was not part of the plan)
3. Would she think Silky would have any serious thoughts or ambitions with her if he knew she was also sleeping with his campaign manager?
D. I could be wrong.

Guest1.1 on August 9, 2008 at 1:06 PM

ronsfi on August 9, 2008 at 11:01 AM

Yeah, duh. Thats one of the reasons we had 911 and the Iraq War. An arrogant leftist halfwit felt he had the right to drop his pants wherever and whenever he wished and the blowback (so to speak) was that he had to spend most of his time defending the BJs he received rather than dealing with national security issues. It is Clintons fault, not the American people’s. It is John Edwards fault that people are paying attention to his nastiness, not the American people’s. That is just one of the problems you create when you commit adultery.

JonRoss on August 9, 2008 at 1:09 PM

So what happens if it turns out the baby is his after continuing to deny it ? Does he get moved to the front of the line for Donk sainthood ? Does he hit the road with Uhjessie Uhjackson for a fundraising tour of evil capitalist corporations ? Inquiring minds want to know.

JonRoss on August 9, 2008 at 1:16 PM

So yeah, her family would bristle at that, I think.

MayBee on August 9, 2008 at 11:22 AM

Wow. Yeah, he spent hours alone with her in a hotel room just chatting about her future paternity checks. Sure, that makes sense. eyeroll

funky chicken on August 9, 2008 at 1:21 PM

JonRoss on August 9, 2008 at 1:16 PM

That’s so simple, The wife dumps him, then he gets a reality show on ABC entitled “Silky, Things in the Closet” Where he continues to prove he is impoverished and where he has to admit that there may be more than two Americas. His co stars will be Monica and Madonna with special guest appearances by Billy Jeff and Clay Aiken.

Guest1.1 on August 9, 2008 at 1:27 PM

Typical Far-Leftist Liberal: Deny the kid is his so the State can support the child.

DfDeportation on August 9, 2008 at 1:30 PM

Linh_My on August 9, 2008 at 11:02 AM

Can you give us an example of a woman who had a baby with a Republican Presidential candidate during the campaign, that the HotAir commenters treated with religious reverence?

Bradky, is that you?

Jaibones on August 9, 2008 at 1:40 PM

Enquirer editor Barry Levine was just on Foxnews, and he’s saying the same thing editor Perel said on Hannity’s radio yesterday: They are 100% certain that Edwards is the father, and that he orchestrated the payoffs, so that interview last night was just another big lie.

Levine and Perel seemed extremely confident in their statements. They aren’t backing down an inch, and they say there is much more to come.

juliesa on August 9, 2008 at 1:50 PM

This is getting more ridiculous by the minute, (just like i knew it would), the sister blurts out: “I wish that those involved would refrain from bad-mouthing my sister.” Well, sweetie pie, your sister slept with at least one politico and it resulted in pregnancy. That means your sis was not being responsible; blaming Silky (or whoever the father is), just puts her in a non-sympathetic position.
Having said that, I wonder whether the Breck Girl will give up the sample before the campaign manager does. Place your bets.

Christine on August 9, 2008 at 1:51 PM

How did she get conned exactly?

catmman on August 9, 2008 at 12:59 PM

I saw an old clip of Hunter doing an interview (back when she was still “working” in the campaign). She said that she’d seen Edwards on t.v. in 2004 [when he was running as Kerry's VP pick] and read about him then, but he was so much more “authentic” and “real” when she met him in 2006. So she knew exactly who and what he was when she started sleeping with him in 2006. She’s nobody’s “victim.”

AZCoyote on August 9, 2008 at 1:59 PM

This is the first time Silky Pony got caught. If I was a betting person I’d say he has done this many times, but the other times there was no evidence, like a baby. This is a females point of view. When Silky said he never loved her that is where he really screwed the pooch, no women is going to take that without some revenge tactic. BTW All parties is this are pond scum, except the baby.

calgrammy on August 9, 2008 at 2:07 PM

Corona: By being worse than the slut?

oldirishpig on August 9, 2008 at 10:59 AM

APPLAUSE!

capitalist piglet on August 9, 2008 at 2:24 PM

Silky screwed up. His response (at least at this time) should have been: “I did not have sex with that woman!”

rmgraha on August 9, 2008 at 2:24 PM

I thought Rielle Hunter was denying Edwards was the baby’s father, also…am I mistaken?

capitalist piglet on August 9, 2008 at 2:26 PM

In this day and age, there’s no reason for a woman to become pregnant if she doesn’t want to. Maybe this is Rielle’s anchor baby.

obladioblada on August 9, 2008 at 2:40 PM

capitalist piglet on August 9, 2008 at 2:26 PM

Yes, she has been denying he is the father. She also left the father’s name off of the birth certificate AND Fred Baron, John Edwards’ campaign finance chairman and longtime confidante, told NBC News he has been providing hush money ‘financial assistance’ to both Andrew Young [the alleged father of Hunter's baby] and Rielle Hunter.

Oddly enough, though, Reille Hunter has not made an appearance on TV and chimed in during this whole Edwards “confession” aftermath. Neither has Andrew Young.

This whole Edwards confession fiasco reminds me of Jimmy Swaggart’s televised wailing with tears streaming down his face “I slept with a prostitute, oh lord, I beg your forgiveness” flim-flam… minus the wailing, begging for forgiveness, and the tears.

Edwards is a lawyer. And a personal injury lawyer to boot. He’s always been slime. This “confession” is simply self-serving ‘oh crap, i’m busted, i better fess up and cut my losses but i’m not telling the WHOLE story’ shinola. Frankly, who cares who the father of the sweet little baby girl is. Edwards is toast. He’s not a sitting senator, he’s not practicing law at the moment, and he’ll never ever be VP much less POTUS. If he ever runs for public office again, anywhere other than mayor of Detroit or Washington D.C. that is, he’ll get completely annihilated.

Game over!

SilverStar830 on August 9, 2008 at 2:58 PM

Two tests, one for Silky, and one for Andrew Young. Solved.

What will Olbermann say to all this? Can’t wait for that thread.

Entelechy on August 9, 2008 at 11:06 AM

I fully expect Olbie to declare Edwards “The Worst Person in the World” Monday evening. Right? Right?

/not on your life

Conservative_SAHM on August 9, 2008 at 3:29 PM

I think we just learned who the Enquirer’s source is…

TheBigOldDog on August 9, 2008 at 3:46 PM

You can bet Andrew Young is talking to his lawyer very earnestly right about now, and that lawyer isn’t the one Silky’s buddy lined up for him, you can bet on that too. This is quite a flotilla circling the bowl, eh?

drunyan8315 on August 9, 2008 at 4:09 PM

Guess who was Father of the Year, 2007? -catmman

Unbelievable! You just can’t make this stuff up!

Prayers go out to Mrs. Edwards, as all this hype cannot be good for her health these days. May she and her children find secure shelter from the public glare.

heroyalwhyness on August 9, 2008 at 4:11 PM

Elizabeth provides her statement regarding her husband’s confession by posting it on The Daily KOS, of all places.

Elizabeth Edwards ended her statement with an appeal for privacy for her family: “I ask that the public, who expressed concern about the harm John’s conduct has done to us, think also about the real harm that the present voyeurism does and give me and my family the privacy we need at this time.”

I’m afraid it is a little late for her to be pleading for a return of their privacy. Her husband decided to run for the position of President of the United States. During that run he elected to present a platform that included preaching to the American public regarding the existence of “two Americas” and the “immorality” of the conservatives in the allowing that existence. The abject hypocisy of his moralizing to the public while lying about his private indescretion was something she was well aware of while standing beside him, and introducing him, on the campaign stages. Again, it’s a little late to plead for privacy. That should have been the consideration BEFORE they chose the very public spectacle of a campaign for the office of POTUS.

There still exist many unanswered questions and some possibility of legal ramifications if the money trail unravels.

Privacy may be the least of the worries for John Edwards. Putting that particular skeleton back into the crypt is going to prove to be extremely difficult.

Yoop on August 9, 2008 at 4:34 PM

Do I detect a double standard? I’m shocked. Shocked do you hear.

Linh_My on August 9, 2008 at 11:02 AM

Provide proof of that, especially here on HA.

Entelechy on August 9, 2008 at 4:34 PM

Elizabeth provides her statement regarding her husband’s confession by posting it on The Daily KOS, of all places…

Yoop on August 9, 2008 at 4:34 PM

New media of record:

The National Enquirer
The Daily KOS
The Huffington Post

…and a few other blogs…

Entelechy on August 9, 2008 at 4:37 PM

During the interview on Nightline, Edwards was asked about the 2:30 visit to the Beverly Hilton. Woodruff asked “If you had told Elizabeth about all of this back in 2006, and said you made a mistake and it was over, what were you doing at her hotel in the middle of the night, and did Elizabeth know you were meeting with her?”

Edwards replied by saying, “Elizabeth did know, because I called her and told her about the meeting with Reille right after I met with her.”

Wow! That’s a mind blower right there. If he was on the up and up with Elizabeth as he claims, wouldn’t he have informed her about the meeting before he went, not after? No, he called her afterwards because he was blindsided by the Enquirer reporters, got caught and ran and hid in a first floor bathroom at the hotel. He knew his goose was cooked, he got caught and he knew Elizabeth would find out.

I have wondered why his wife has stood by him through all of this. I don’t think she’s standing by her man, I think she is in denial, refuses to accept the dirty truth and is hoping beyond hope that he is not the father. She will be devastated when she learns the truth. Having a wife myself who has battled with breast cancer, I can tell you the worst enemy to someone with this relentless disease, is stress. It takes a heavy toll on an already weakened immune system, weakened by radiation treatment and chemo.

IMHO, John Edwards is killing his wife.

fogw on August 9, 2008 at 4:49 PM

Rielle Hunter: “John Edwards tried to molest me.”
Reporter: “How do you know it was John Edwards?”
Rielle Hunter “Because I had to help him.”

MaiDee on August 9, 2008 at 5:41 PM

Elizabeth Edwards is speaking out now, on Daily Kos.

And while all the previous diaries on DKos regarding the Edwards affair have been deleted and diarist accounts banned, since Edwards came out and admitted the affair, the newer Edwards affair diaries are filled with loathing for John Edwards… until Elizabeth Edwards diary was posted.

Now they’re fawning over John Edwards in the comments of Elizabeth Edwards’ diary and saying what a great guy he really is, what a great Attorney general he will make, etc ad blah blah blah.

Wow. The Kos kids sure are a lot of whack job two-faced hypocrites.

SilverStar830 on August 9, 2008 at 5:42 PM

Wow. The Kos kids sure are a lot of whack job two-faced hypocrites.

SilverStar830 on August 9, 2008 at 5:42 PM

No. Just your normal. everyday idiots.

OldEnglish on August 9, 2008 at 9:08 PM

Why would he do that? If Edwards fathered the child, it means that the affair continued into May 2007, rather than ending in 2006 as Edwards claims. Edwards and his campaign announced the recurrence of his wife’s cancer months before May 2007, which means Edwards continued his affair with Rielle while his wife was seriously ill.

Why? WHY???

Because Edwards is a skunk, the “quality” of which even Bill Clinton can only imagine.

As to why Edwards would think he could get away with it: This is all part of what he’s paying Hunter for: Deny he’s the father, keeping up the utterly unfathomable Andrew Young cover, while Edwards proclaims “I’ll take the test,” and Hunter responds: “No DNA test – please respect my privacy.”

All scripted from the start.

I’ve said it before: I’m waiting for the investigation into the money trail: Both the Rielle hush-money, and the $114K+ that Edwards paid her to allegedly make campaign videos (hahahahahahahahaha). Follow the money: Edwards could go to jail over this.

seanrobins on August 10, 2008 at 9:49 PM