Video: Nice movie career you’ve got there, wingnut; it’d be a shame if something happened to it

posted at 9:21 pm on August 8, 2008 by Allahpundit

One ominous comment from an entertainment writer does not a blacklist make, but then it’s more than just one comment that has people like Voight and Breitbart concerned. Consider this a bookend to Ed’s post this morning about Tom Matzzie’s strongarm tactics; given the media attention to that story and to this one, I’d say we’re already well into backfire territory on each. As for Voight’s allusion near the end to hearing more from Hollywood conservatives in the next few months, I assume he means David Zucker’s upcoming movie. The negative reviews are doubtless already being written, but read Stephen Hayes’s piece on it in the Standard if you haven’t yet. I hope it does well because this may be the last paycheck the cast sees for awhile. Click the image to watch.

Update (Ed)I interviewed Myrna Sokoloff, co-writer of Voight’s upcoming movie with David Zucker, An American Carol, yesterday.  She and I discussed the future prospects of the cast, which includes Dennis Hopper, Kelsey Grammer, and Kevin Farley, as well as her own hopes for a career.  The movie comes out October 3rd.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

All these comments listing Hollywood conservatives and I’m the first one to mention Dennis Miller? Granted, he does few films, but, still.

Folks, if you haven’t heard his radio show, you’re missing some great comedy & he’s edging further & further to the right with every outrageous comment from a lefty pol.

Norm Macdonald, Larry Miller, Jim Belushi…

rjwest21 on August 9, 2008 at 10:12 AM

Abraham Lincoln was president when the War Bewtween the States was fought. Several presidents will serve as this real Civil War will be fought. The left will always use hate in the form of racism and class envy to motivate their brainwashed legions. What they can’t buy, they will suppress. They are intent on removing God from the public scene and destroy the values that they think are long out-dated. Wake up and pay attention. Voight has.

volsense on August 9, 2008 at 10:18 AM

free speech for me not thee.

ctmom on August 9, 2008 at 10:45 AM

My thanks, also. It’s likely that everyone here has seen the video of his lecture at the Heritage foundation. This is a good time to watch it again. If you haven’t see it, you must.

Rod on August 9, 2008 at 6:17 AM

I cannot thank you enough for posting that Evan Sayet link. I don’t know how I missed that, but it was fascinating.

Modern Liberalism is anything but progressive.

Connie on August 9, 2008 at 12:06 PM

Has already united Hollywood’s Conservatives

Both of them :-)

Ordinary1 on August 9, 2008 at 12:17 PM

This is one reason why I don’t get caught up in the, “Gee. I’m not going to any more of so and so’s movies because of they hate Bush..” etc. I go to the movies to be entertained. I didn’t skip Mission Impossible III because Tom Cruise is weird. Let whomever say whatever.

I skip movies with liberal messages! But not good movies with liberal actors. I would hope our liberal friends feel the same way about conservative actors. Apparently some don’t, but some of us are guilty too.

Ordinary1 on August 9, 2008 at 12:23 PM

In other words, I boycott boycotts. I have nothing against people deciding on what movies to go too based on whatever criteria they choose. I don’t like it when left or right, folks get all worked up to organize a boycott of an actor or director. This country is so divided it’s hard to agreeably disagree anymore. That is sad and hurts reasonable discourse about so many things.

Ordinary1 on August 9, 2008 at 12:32 PM

Interesting. I guess I won’t be reading any more about Tinsel Town being the bastion of leftist socialist after reading some of the comments on this thread. And I also received an email about this sweet deal on a bridge for sale.

Chimpy on August 9, 2008 at 1:11 PM

Interesting that Gary Sinise is involved in this conservative/libertarian movement. I remember the first time I saw the guy in Steven King’s The Stand and he impressed me there.

aikidoka on August 9, 2008 at 1:35 PM

I am pretty sure Denzel Washington is a righty as well.

silenced majority on August 9, 2008 at 3:06 PM

Dhimmicrats are an angry destructive bunch. Bravo to Voight for standing up.

“Everybody’s talkin’ at me. I don’t hear a word they’re sayin’…

You go cowboy!

Mojave Mark on August 9, 2008 at 5:21 PM

Connie on August 9, 2008 at 12:06 PM

Glad you saw it. I watched it again today. I’m going to use it as a foundation for a sit-down discussion with my two teens before they go back to school in a couple of weeks. They are right in the thick of the mandated brain-washing cycle.

Rod on August 9, 2008 at 8:12 PM

Peter Bart is the editor in chief of Variety and the co-host of long-running AMC talk show Shootout.

“If stars are wary about backing Obama, Jon Voight has showed no such inhibition in his support for McCain. Writing an op-ed piece in the Washington Times, Voight warned that an Obama win would trigger “a socialist era” in America.

Voight reminded readers that he had endured the sixties in this country when, he recalled, “The radicals undermined our Vietnam initiative” and “were successful in giving the communists power.” Voight predicted that others in Hollywood would soon rally on McCain’s behalf.

Personally, I appreciate Voight’s fervor, but worry about his intellectual equipment. I remember that moment in the early ‘70s when Paramount offered Voight the lead role in “Love Story,” opposite Ali McGraw. Voight had just achieved stardom thanks to “Midnight Cowboy” and suddenly had his choice of roles.

As a young production executive at the studio, I was trying to push “Love Story” forward and joined colleagues in trying to interest Voight in the part. However the more we prodded, the more reluctant he became.

He finally blurted: “The character in this movie is a Harvard student. He’s bright. He reads books. I could never be believable as that smart young guy.”

So, Mr. Bart, Voight shifted from the left in the seventies (when he didn’t read) to the right in the naughties. Did you ever consider what the reason for that might be? Perhaps he started to read.

Dr. Charles G. Waugh on August 9, 2008 at 8:37 PM

I am pretty sure Denzel Washington is a righty as well.

silenced majority on August 9, 2008 at 3:06 PM

Even if he is not, he is a hell of a patriot. He donated big bucks to help the families of injured troops.

Johan Klaus on August 10, 2008 at 3:07 AM

I am pretty sure Denzel Washington is a righty as well.

silenced majority on August 9, 2008 at 3:06 PM

Johan Klaus on August 10, 2008 at 3:07 AM

I was under the impression Denzel was a mild lefty. But if he helps our troops then I don’t care what he is.

Can you imagine how much better would the world be if America’s “left-of-center” types actually stood behind our troops (like they piss-poorly claim they do?) And what if the lefties really loved America? If they actually saw what a great force for good we are? Just imagine and smile.

Then come back to reality and shake your head.

Squiggy on August 10, 2008 at 6:44 AM

I don’t go around vomiting my opinions on everyone I meet. I try to “pick my battles” as the saying goes. But this I know, if everyone chooses to keep quiet for the sake of their jobs and relationships, then the only ones left speaking and unchallenged will be all the liberal Nazi’s and communists and their thug friends. Nothing gets better by closing your eyes and shutting your mouth.

JellyToast on August 10, 2008 at 8:38 AM