New McCain ad: Biggest celebrity in the world actually a tax and spend liberal

posted at 11:00 am on August 6, 2008 by Allahpundit

Here we find the two-step ad strategy I speculated on Monday rolled into one tidy 30-second package: First demystify The One by making him ridiculous, then recast him as the true-blue lefty that he is. I’ve had enough of the “celebrity” digs, but as TNR reminds us this morning, people who follow the news closely are hardly a reliable proxy for public opinion. In fact, if you want to know why the “celebrity” meme might resonate, feast your eyes:

Hilton-esque indeed. Speaking of which, until just a few minutes ago Drudge had a headline up noting that Paris’s “ad” mocked McCain, which implied that Maverick was the one who suffered the most damage from it. Really? Compare the reactions of the McCain camp and the Obama camp to her spot last night. Anything that keeps this meme circulating is good news for the non-celebrity in the race, no matter who the ostensible butt of the joke might be.

Comments

Now, if McNumbNuts could just stay on this message and STOP with the “big oil” nonsense he just might win this thing. But he won’t! AHHHHHHHHHH!

sabbott on August 6, 2008 at 11:05 AM

I was gonna say the same thing about Drudge’s headline when somebody mentioned it yesterday. The Paris video, combined with McCain’s quick response, totally hurt Obama more than McCain. The mere fact that she (read: the writers) implied that Obama’s position on energy might not be wholly correct and perfect is about as right-wing as you’re allowed to get in a comedy video these days.

jimmy the notable on August 6, 2008 at 11:05 AM

I’m digging JMac’s Rapid Response Ad Team!

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on August 6, 2008 at 11:05 AM

Also, the last time around, living in New York, I never saw a political ad…but now, being in Maryland, I’m getting some West Virginia tv over the airwaves, I see McCain’s ads all the time. Its a real treat.

jimmy the notable on August 6, 2008 at 11:07 AM

Wow, he had the guts to show an actual oil rig!

The tide has turned.

PattyJ on August 6, 2008 at 11:07 AM

OBAMA, OBAMA, OBAMA
That’s just awesome.

Keep the Hollywood celebrity image going – it’s working.

I’m feeling clingy.

subbottomfeeder on August 6, 2008 at 11:08 AM

subbottomfeeder on August 6, 2008 at 11:08 AM

Yeah, well, I’m feeling bitter.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on August 6, 2008 at 11:09 AM

sabbott on August 6, 2008 at 11:05 AM

“McCain seems intent on reassuring skeptics that he’s no George W. Bush. If he loses in November, he’ll prove it.”!

Anita on August 6, 2008 at 11:09 AM

subbottomfeeder on August 6, 2008 at 11:08 AM

Yeah, well, I’m feeling bitter.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on August 6, 2008 at 11:09 AM

Yea, well I’m feeling bitter and clingy…

sabbott on August 6, 2008 at 11:11 AM

Has Britney unveiled her Energy Plan yet?

DfDeportation on August 6, 2008 at 11:11 AM

sabbott on August 6, 2008 at 11:11 AM

I have an uncontrollable urge to go to church 4 days a week and clean my guns the other 3.

jimmy the notable on August 6, 2008 at 11:11 AM

Has Britney unveiled her Energy Plan yet?

DfDeportation on August 6, 2008 at 11:11 AM

Ooooh… that was sweet.

It’s the Obama-Paris-Britney Energy Plan for America!!!!!

subbottomfeeder on August 6, 2008 at 11:13 AM

My reaction exactly to the Paris ad. I didn’t see where McCain was skewered by it. So she called him the white-haired wrinkled guy? At least McCain isn’t such a baby as Obama, whining like a little bitch at the slightest criticism.

JammieWearingFool on August 6, 2008 at 11:14 AM

Of course it’ll be no time at all until we’re told liberal is a racist code word. Heck, liberals already consider it a smear.

JammieWearingFool on August 6, 2008 at 11:16 AM

if the media didn’t shill like they do for Obama, even McCain would win in a landslide

jp on August 6, 2008 at 11:16 AM

Great ad.

rockmom on August 6, 2008 at 11:20 AM

jp on August 6, 2008 at 11:16 AM

The irony is that all the media shilling for the Big O may be his undoing as the poll above suggests.

Valiant on August 6, 2008 at 11:24 AM

Who could resist a ‘shop of that photo?

RushBaby on August 6, 2008 at 11:26 AM

Has Britney unveiled her Energy Plan yet?

DfDeportation on August 6, 2008 at 11:11 AM

Not that I know of, but I doubt it could be any worse than Obama’s.

Good ad. The strategy emerges. First poke holes in the cult-of-personality bubble, then move on to the issues.

Gilda on August 6, 2008 at 11:29 AM

[sabbott on August 6, 2008 at 11:05 AM]

Yup. I wish he’d do some straight-talking on this, because there is a lot of fodder there to beat Obama and the Dems around the head and shoulders with, without having to reflexively vilify the oil companies.

Dusty on August 6, 2008 at 11:29 AM

It’s the Obama-Paris-Britney Energy Plan for America!!!!!

subbottomfeeder on August 6, 2008 at 11:13 AM

Don’t insult Paris. Her plan is much better than Bambi’s.

misterpeasea on August 6, 2008 at 11:32 AM

McCain should incorporate the Paris ad, showing Paris calling him the “Old White Haired Dude.” How about at the end saying, “I’m John McCain, aka, ‘the old white haired dude’ and I approved this message.”

EconomicNeocon on August 6, 2008 at 11:33 AM

McAMNESTY needs to seek out his conservative roots, and give up on the drive by media. Come to think of it, recently didn’t the drive bys throw McCain under their bus?

It’s time to do everything, including drill ANWR, stop the BS about big oil.

tarpon on August 6, 2008 at 11:37 AM

“Old experienced white haired dude” …

tarpon on August 6, 2008 at 11:38 AM

The McCain campaign has either brilliantly (or stumbled across) a way to turn Obama’s positive celeb status into a BIG negative.
The more celeb’s that come out for Obama – the more it makes him look like a celeb. >pounds desk< Ha!
Turning Obama’s overseas positive into a negative was equally impressive.
The McCain campaign is better than the candidate.

subbottomfeeder on August 6, 2008 at 11:40 AM

Has anyone noticed that McCain’s ads are being voiced over by what sounds like a middle aged woman and not a creepy, undertoned movie voice? Subliminal Hillary vote…oh yes!

Butters on August 6, 2008 at 11:45 AM

The McCain team really needs to do a response ad to the Paris video calling her the world’s most inexperienced politician, with pictures of Obama added of course. They could charge that she’s never finished a term in the Senate and has never had to throw a single crazy pastor under the bus. Fun would be had by all.

rw on August 6, 2008 at 11:47 AM

Hey, y’all! This is Brit-neeeee wheeee! Funny, my name rhymes with wheeeeee! Y’all, I know y’alls intristed in my Enagy plan since Paris got one. My plan involves RedBull! Yay, it’s a enagy drank, y’all, so maybe we can mix it with some gasaleen an get 500 miles to tha gallin!

RedBull and Cheetos, y’all…

wWere’s my ciggies? Sean Preston, you get back hea with my Winstons! Raht now, y’all!

LickyLicky on August 6, 2008 at 11:48 AM

Campaign ad suggestion…..
Open with prominent dems (including Obama) shaking their fingers at BIGOIL, and their “excessive” profits.

Next, show the dems crying for more ethanol.

Next, show that BIGOIL is actually the largest producers of ethanol.

Then, show Nancy Pelosi’s interview stumbling for words with Stephanopolis….and Obama’s “but,but,but”

subbottomfeeder on August 6, 2008 at 11:48 AM

I think McCain should simply run an ad with Paris Hilton and then come back and proclaim that “Paris supports drilling” and then end with a rather frisky grin…everyone would get it!!!

sabbott on August 6, 2008 at 11:48 AM

McCain forgot to mention granting amnesty to millions upon millions upon millions of illegal cheaters with the intent of contaminating the US voting pool with people trained to get their way through lying, cheating, and stealing.

saiga on August 6, 2008 at 11:51 AM

I have to say, thus far McCain is much, much better when he’s on the attack against Obama than when he’s touting himself … at least if yesterday’s hideously bad “Washington’s Broken” ad was any indication.

thirteen28 on August 6, 2008 at 11:55 AM

Nah….

Cut to Hilton talking about white hair dudes…

Then cut to Obama saying I don’t look like the other guys on the dollar bills…

Then cut to pictures of George Washingon, Jefferson, Jackson…

Then cut to McCain saying… “Yes, I’m an old white haired dude, but I’d be Honored to be counted in their company…”

Its a Zen thing, turn the attack to your own advantage by embracing the attack… after all, would you rather have young and inexperienced, or older and wiser RUNNING THE COUNTRY!

Romeo13 on August 6, 2008 at 11:57 AM

I have yet to see a single McCain ad here in Jacksonville, FL. But I’ve seen so many Barry O ads you can shake a stick at.

Memo to McCain: you really DO need to campaign in FL, you know.

crushliberalism on August 6, 2008 at 11:58 AM

The voting public are demanding energy independence and this does not mean five million more windmills. Demonizing Big Oil isn’t going to work this time for the left-tards as long as pocket books are getting emptied at the pump. McCain needs to stay on this message that we can drill our way out of this mess if the enviros and their million dollar lobbys and lawyers remain in check.

Follow the money trail and the agenda is apparent.

Rovin on August 6, 2008 at 12:05 PM

Allah

Simple, obvious, brilliant, and long overdue. Great call.

Jaibones on August 6, 2008 at 12:06 PM

Best quote yet out of team McCain, “Sounds like Paris has a better energy plan than Obama.”

OUCH!

jukin on August 6, 2008 at 12:08 PM

I have yet to see a single McCain ad here in Jacksonville, FL. crushliberalism on August 6, 2008 at 11:58 AM

The McCain campaign has spent exactly $0.00 in Florida.

Meanwhile, up here in Wisconsin, McCain’s face is on every channel every 20 minutes. There is NO way he will win Wisconsin……..is there?

subbottomfeeder on August 6, 2008 at 12:15 PM

crushliberalism on August 6, 2008 at 11:58 AM

Evidence for Crist in the veep slot?

Valiant on August 6, 2008 at 12:22 PM

Y’all are trying to turn McCain into a true blue conservative. He isn’t one, and won’t become one. HIs appeal is mostly to those just to the right of center where elections are decided. Yes, I wanted Fred to be the candidate, so he could punch liberals and hippies, but we have McCain. Instead of trying to make him be what he isn’t, let’s just encourage him to come closer. He might actually do that.

Buford Gooch on August 6, 2008 at 12:32 PM

Am I the only thoroughly disgusted with this? When did politics become a soap opera? Who cares a twit what Paris Hilton thinks? I hate Hollwood more than I hate Congress, and that’s saying something.

fourstringfuror on August 6, 2008 at 12:39 PM

crushliberalism on August 6, 2008 at 11:58 AM

It’s not you! McCain’s campaign hasn’t spent a dollar on adverts in Florida yet, but Obama has been dumping cash there.. One would think that the florida polls would have moved more Obama’s way in light of that? McCain may be looking for the more personal touch with Crist, Lieberman and maybe Rudy doing the groundwork b4 the big cash influx.

saus on August 6, 2008 at 12:58 PM

EconomicNeocon on August 6, 2008 at 11:33 AM

Is it just me, or does she in fact doesn’t really seem to be “attacking” McCain here, as she say “Old white haired guy” but she calls The One “that other guy”…. I think she’s a closet Republican…

Nah….

Cut to Hilton talking about white hair dudes…

Then cut to Obama saying I don’t look like the other guys on the dollar bills…

Then cut to pictures of George Washingon, Jefferson, Jackson…

Romeo13 on August 6, 2008 at 11:57 AM

Ding Ding Ding!!! We have a winner!! Best ad idea I’ve heard in a LOOOOOOOOONG time!! Can someone call McCain’s camp please?!?

Califemme on August 6, 2008 at 1:04 PM

Califemme on August 6, 2008 at 1:04 PM

Agreed.

subbottomfeeder on August 6, 2008 at 1:50 PM

Romeo13 on August 6, 2008 at 11:57 AM

Um…just a minor thing really, but could we all agree that as conservatives, we want it so that the president runs the government, not the country.

But McCain’s team’s got it down. The best thing about all these ads is that they all tie together with that creepy “ObaMA-ObaMA-ObaMA” chant.

That just freaks average people out, as well it should. We don’t do that here.

And the more McCain uses Barry’s cult of personality against him, the more Barry just won’t be able to win when he gets up in front of his worshipping throng in Mile High Stadium. They start chanting, and it’s going to relate to the watchers right back to these ads.

Barry’s done for. I’m really thinking McCain needs to carry his ass til the Dem convention.

After all, this empty suit ain’t the nominee yet.

Typhoon on August 6, 2008 at 2:41 PM

Too much exposure, too little exposure. . . . it doesn’t really matter. The fact that we nominated McCain was the first nail in this coffin. Well, here’s wishing that the R’s wise up come 2012 so we can nominate a “real” conservative.

Vaporman87 on August 6, 2008 at 3:12 PM