Boehner calls bluff of “pro-drilling” Dems: Prove you’re not liars by joining with us now; Update: New grassroots website supporting House protest launches

posted at 3:51 pm on August 5, 2008 by Allahpundit

The first dividends from Politico’s article are paid. From Boehner’s office:

House Republican Leader John Boehner (R-OH) today issued the following statement in response to an article in today’s Politico that suggests Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) has secretly signaled to rank-and-file House Democratic lawmakers that they should feel free to portray themselves publicly as pro-drilling if it helps them politically:

“My message to Democratic lawmakers is this: if you’re really for increased American energy production, then prove it by putting it in writing. Sign the discharge petitions House Republicans are circulating that will force votes on energy legislation Speaker Pelosi refuses to bring to the floor. And sign onto the American Energy Act, our ‘all of the above’ plan to increase conservation, innovation, and American energy production, instead of doing the Speaker’s bidding by voting against bringing it to a vote. If you aren’t willing to put it in writing, you’re fooling no one. You’re siding with the Speaker of the Drill-Nothing Congress and radical special interests that favor higher gas prices, at the expense of energy-strapped American families.”

“This cynical strategy is disgustingly dishonest. Without any real solutions to help Americans who are struggling with record-high gas prices, it appears the Democratic leadership has hit on a new plan: deceive. Deceive the press, deceive its members, and deceive the American people. Democratic members have a ‘pass’ from their leaders to talk about drilling at home, while the liberal Democratic leadership – which is beholden to special interests that want higher gas prices – plays ‘rope-a-dope’ back in Washington, ensuring there is no vote to help the American people before November. It’s cynical, dishonest, and wrong – and it won’t work.”

Emphasis mine. I honestly don’t see what Pelosi has to lose by letting a vote come to the floor — or rather, I don’t see how she loses more by letting the vote happen now than by suppressing all attempts and letting the GOP bludgeon the Democrats with this issue all the way to November. If they agree to expand drilling, they can always undo it (at least in part) next year by sneaking the rollback into a more comprehensive energy package. The GOP will scream but the election will be long over and Obama, assuming he wins, will be enjoying a honeymoon period which the Dems can use to blunt Republican criticism. Making a stand now, when this is really the only weapon conservatives have to wield against them, seems stupid, unless the Dems expect the price of oil will drop sufficiently by next year that public pressure for drilling will dissipate and they won’t have to act at all. I’ll leave it to economists to determine whether that’s a reasonable expectation or not, but there are extraordinary yet plausible reasons to believe the price might actually skyrocket. In which case, I guess Pelosi figures they’ll jump off that bridge when they come to it.

Update: Conservative new-media types strike while the iron is hot.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I thought that update link lead to dontgovernment.com — made me click.

Mark Jaquith on August 5, 2008 at 5:27 PM

Spirit:

I disagree, it would not be helpful for Bush to call them back. If Pelosi will not bring the American Energy Act up for debate bringing them back will not only do no good, it might backfire. The Republicans are in control now, you call them back and Pelosi might very well come up with some compromise to take the heat of her people. And that is not really going to help right now.

Why should Bush be in trouble on this? It is not his job to run the House of Representatives.

Terrye on August 5, 2008 at 5:29 PM

unseen on August 5, 2008 at 5:25 PM

I agree with your post. I do think he should call them back. And while I also agree mostly likely nothing will get down, with a 70% approval of drilling right now, who knows.

Spirit of 1776 on August 5, 2008 at 5:29 PM

unseen:

McCain can give them hell on the Senate floor right now. He can give them hell just for recessing.

Terrye on August 5, 2008 at 5:29 PM

rockhauler on August 5, 2008 at 5:16 PM

Could you post the letter? or part of it?

upinak on August 5, 2008 at 5:30 PM

You don’t want drilling. You want the Republicans to get political points. You don’t want drilling, you want the Democrats to look bad.

Terrye on August 5, 2008 at 5:29 PM

Ah. I misunderstood! I didn’t realize that energy policy and drilling only affected the House of Representatives. Here I thought it was a national issue that affects us all. Good point, I can’t argue with that logic! Stay out of it, Mr. President – it doesn’t concern you or us.

Spirit of 1776 on August 5, 2008 at 5:32 PM

Pelosi sets the agenda. If Bush calls them back that will only give a reason to taint the Republicans with the White House and “oil men”. Bush can’t force them to vote, or even discuss drilling or energy. Pelosi can dictate they all play cards for that matter.

It’s Pelosi’s responsibility to run the House, not the Presidents. If she can’t do it let her fall on her face.

A national emergency is a valid reason for calling the House back. Failure to address issues because of the Speakers decision to play politics with the American people and their future is not.

darwin on August 5, 2008 at 5:33 PM

Spirit:

It is not just a question of nothing getting done. It is about the way our government works, Bush can not set the agenda for the House. That is not his function. If the Republicans were in control and the American Energy Act would get debate and a vote, it would be difference. If Bush calls them back, the Democrats will just accuse him of overstepping his authority again…and it becomes a debate about Bush. That is not good. And besides, it seems that no matter what Bush does there will always be people in his party that think they know better. Just yesterday Allah said that Bush showed real political sense for not calling them back. You can’t please everyone. Bush made this an issue when he dropped the executive ban on offshore drilling, if he had not done that it would not even be a debate right now.

Terrye on August 5, 2008 at 5:35 PM

Drill-Nothing Congress

I like it. Needs to be in a GOP commercial.

Kevin71 on August 5, 2008 at 5:36 PM

Spirit of 1776 on August 5, 2008 at 5:32 PM

Bush signed off on it and now it is in the Congress’s hands as well as the Senates. I.E. they are the ones who needs to do it, not the President.

Also, you may have not seen it, but the Recess they are doing right now is not just a recess. There is a 15 minute call that they are doing everyday until they come back to the Senate. Congress is not under this, as they are not under Pelosi. But with the Senator on the Senate floor at the moment, you would think that those who served in Congress would jump on it… I for one think it will be next week when they start slowly shuffling in, due to the calls and the people getting angry. You also have to remember some of those who are in Congress are also up for re-election. They have to do some publicity running.

upinak on August 5, 2008 at 5:36 PM

And if you make it a national emergency there is a risk that the Democrats will call for using the emergency reserve. That will not offer any long term solutions.

Terrye on August 5, 2008 at 5:36 PM

Spirit:

Who says I do not want drilling? I grew up in Oklahoma. I am the daughter of a roughneck. I think we need to have more domestic production, for sure. But having Bush call back Congress will not accomplish that.

Terrye on August 5, 2008 at 5:38 PM

And Spirit, you are not being fair. Bush has dropped the executive ban on drilling. That was his part of the job. He called for Congress to drop Congressional ban. That is their job. He can not force them to do that. No one, including Bush has ever said that he did not have a responsibility. In fact the left has routinely accused him of favoring oil interests over the consumers for years because has supported domestic production.

Terrye on August 5, 2008 at 5:41 PM

Pelosi can’t allow an up or down vote on the House Bill because it would pass. That act would have given the green light to Reid to allow the Gang of 10 to put their Senate Bill to a vote and it would also pass, even if Obama voted against it. And how would Obama explain voting against a truly bipartisan effort when he is running as a uniter?

Then the two Bills would end up in committee with some kind of compromise Bill that Bush would sign before the Nov election and that would give the Republicans a win in the eyes of the electorate.

So Pelosi is the stop gap .. do nothing and nothing happens. Then after Nov the Ds can fashion an Energy Bill the way they want and Obama will sign it.

The same basic strategy that killed Social Security reform.

Texas Gal on August 5, 2008 at 5:42 PM

Spirit of 1776, I have been stating the samething. George W Bush is still President, he wants to take care of his legacy, here is his chance. I think they should call Pelosi back just as soon as she can find her broom:) Broom because she was going to sweep the house clean, when the Dems got the majority remember BG. I can still remember all the promises she made, about ethics reform and they were going to a 4 day work week, and they were going to get so much accomplished. Politicians, Pelosi, really needs to be called back to the House just for a no confidence vote, in the House Leadership. How much of that 14% approval rating for Congress is directly related to her? Where is that Zogby Poll?

Dr Evil on August 5, 2008 at 5:42 PM

upinak on August 5, 2008 at 5:36 PM

I take your point. I prefer to push for action, however. Strike while the iron is hot, etc. The next executive may block anything Congress passes wrt drilling. Despite what Obama says now. Bush wants to sprint to the finish line; let’s sprint. He doesn’t need what political capital he has for anything else. We’ve won Iraq.

Yeah, I get that too. But as one of the chaps said Friday (I’d have to look, don’t remember who right off) the sit-in itself was good campaigning.

That is a good point there, Terrye. Which means this whole thing is, at the end of the day, just another political football. We can’t dramatize it, so we just have to argue over process. Process crimes, sigh, Fitzgerald indicts Libby again.

Spirit of 1776 on August 5, 2008 at 5:45 PM

Dr. Evil:

His legacy? Are people just unaware of how our government works? Bush can not make the Congress of the United States vote on anything. He can not even make them stay there or discuss it. This is not about his legacy, it is about Pelosi.

All this Bush bashing from people who do not seem to grasp that basic simple concept is amazing.

If Bush did not want the ban on off shore drilling lifted, why did he lift the executive ban? That is why this is an issue today.

Terrye on August 5, 2008 at 5:47 PM

Spirit:

What strike while the iron is hot, what push for action? Pelosi would just end the debate. There would be no iron to strike, no push to be made. Why is this so hard to grasp?

Terrye on August 5, 2008 at 5:49 PM

Terrye on August 5, 2008 at 5:36 PM

Then guess what, they will drill ANWR saying it is an emergency. Watch.. it will happen!

upinak on August 5, 2008 at 5:50 PM

Spirit of 1776 on August 5, 2008 at 5:45 PM

iron is hot? Sweetie, I and most Alaskans have been screaming for ANWR to be drilled for decades. Yes DECADES! How hot does it need to be before my voice is so hoarse from screaming that someone is going to finally hear me and the people of Alaska. OCS has been kicked around but ANWR has been actually worked on via USGS, BLM and DoI.

So maybe you lost me on the “iron is hot” comment.

upinak on August 5, 2008 at 5:53 PM

Terrye on August 5, 2008 at 5:49 PM

Once again a point so illuminating as to be uncontestable. Whenever the Republicans are in the minority, why do they even bother showing up? Pelosi leaps buildings with a single-bound; I get it. “Know Your Power” and all that.

Pul-lease. If your favorite football team runs a 2 yard draw on 3rd and 8, it’s not bashing to say, I wish they had run a crossing pattern. No need to exaggerate or make it personal wrt to the President.

The same basic strategy that killed Social Security reform.

Texas Gal on August 5, 2008 at 5:42 PM

Bingo.

Spirit of 1776 on August 5, 2008 at 5:53 PM

Spirit:

If Bush did call them back, it is Pelosi who has the power to just slam down her gavel again and adjourn. It is not his job – he’s done his part by lifting the executive ban, which dropped the price of oil, giving us a little relief.

Neocon Peg on August 5, 2008 at 5:55 PM

upinak:

The ban was up for renewal this September. Bush went ahead and dropped the executive ban to give the Republicans this opportunity to beat the Democrats over the head.

I think ANWR will be open to drilling eventually, but I sometimes wonder if some people already look at it like some emergency reserve.

We need to use more of our resources, no doubt about it. And the Democrats need to be held accountable for not dealing with the problem in a timely and ethical fashion. But I just think that if Bush calls an emergency session they will stonewall. They have to deal with it soon anyway. I read somewhere that the ban is up for a vote soon. It has to be voted on periodically.

Terrye on August 5, 2008 at 5:56 PM

So maybe you lost me on the “iron is hot” comment.

upinak on August 5, 2008 at 5:53 PM

Are we role-playing? :) You as Obama and me as a female reporter?

The phrase ‘iron is hot’ is not about the people that consistently trumpet an issue. It’s about when the majority of people get that issue in their conscientiousness enough to make a change. Right now, gas prices and perhaps Iran, make oil and domestic drilling a hot topic. And one where action is supported by 70 someodd percent.

Spirit of 1776 on August 5, 2008 at 5:56 PM

Spitir:

I do not know how to explain myself apparently. It would not help either with the question of drilling to call them back. If the people can force Pelosi to come back, that would make a difference. But if the Republican president forces a Democratically controlled House back into session, then the lady with the gavel will control the debate.

Terrye on August 5, 2008 at 5:58 PM

Terrye on August 5, 2008 at 5:56 PM

When the ban ends… watch 9 States start taking permits in the morning after as soon as their State office doors open.

I would bet that Texas and Alaska would probably sue if Pelosi tried to bring up the ban again.

upinak on August 5, 2008 at 5:58 PM

Neocon Peg on August 5, 2008 at 5:55 PM

Part of the political process is forcing people to take action. That’s why Obama has skipped all those position defining votes. So what if she tries that?

First of all, amnesty shows public pressure alters positions, and secondly why abrogate power simply based on expectation?

Spirit of 1776 on August 5, 2008 at 5:59 PM

The iron is just as hot with the Republicans pointing out that Pelosi is vacationing right now, in fact it is hotter. And the longer it goes on the greater the chances of success when the House does come back.

Terrye on August 5, 2008 at 6:00 PM

upinak:

Yes, I think the states will do that. I even heard that California is considering lifting their state ban. They need the money. But that will be another fight.

Terrye on August 5, 2008 at 6:01 PM

Spirit of 1776 on August 5, 2008 at 5:56 PM

But the point is ANWR has been around for ages. OCS was banned after ANWR. Also the fact that people have known this was going to happen for years. Alaskan’s especailly… we aren’t stupid, we lost half our people in 85 due to the same thing that is happening now.

Look, being the fact that some people work in oil developement doesn’t make them saints but when you see the long run of things they have wanted to do and can’t and have warned about to Congress the Seante etc… makes me wonder what exactly is the issue at hand. is it the people who are the board who want more money and make the politicians say no, or is it the ignorance as a whole.

upinak on August 5, 2008 at 6:02 PM

Spirit:

See this is my problem with your comment. You say that part of the process is forcing people to take action. Bush can not force the Congress to take action. He can’t. The founding fathers made sure that no president can work his will with a Congress like that. They disliked Kings and did not want one in the Executive office.

Terrye on August 5, 2008 at 6:03 PM

upinak on August 5, 2008 at 6:02 PM

Obama? Ahh please do not ever call me by that again. I think I have been violated, and need to take a shower… ewww! [...]

makes me wonder what exactly is the issue at hand.

Sorry, it was the sweetie line:) And yeah, I hear you.

Spirit of 1776 on August 5, 2008 at 6:12 PM

Spirit:

Give me a break. I didn’t say hold a gun to their heads; I said call them back.

And the 2nd half of your comment can be categorically dismissed with reference to Article 2, Section 3 of the Constitution. If you are going to argue that are forefathers will disapprove of something, lets find something to argue over that isn’t already a Constitutional power given, ahem, by our forefathers :)

Spirit of 1776 on August 5, 2008 at 6:15 PM

I’m just hoping for an early hard winter and people start getting their heating bills BEFORE the Nov elections.

GarandFan on August 5, 2008 at 6:19 PM

why does this thing not refresh?

upinak on August 5, 2008 at 6:20 PM

GarandFan on August 5, 2008 at 6:19 PM

Ummm it will be. I have a bad feeling it will also be a nice “cold” one too.

upinak on August 5, 2008 at 6:21 PM

MoveOn is trying to drown the #dontgo Twitter feed with their feces. The #dontgo people are trying to adapt quickly, amidst accusations of censorship. One thing you have to give to online “progressive” types is that they do know how to crap all over something good. They’ve had so much practice. I’m curious to see how well our virtual online novices in the GOP hold up against the onslaught of idiocy.

aero on August 5, 2008 at 6:23 PM

I’m not terribly familiar with parliamentary procedures but I think Bush would hold some leverage over a special session. If he calls them back under the pretext of drilling, even if he can’t force their hand on the issue, it will be more than just another boring humdrum continuation of congress after recess, it will be a special event that people will be more likely to take notice of. And it sounds like Bush determines how long the session continues so if legislatures would like to enjoy part of their vacation they will need to have a vote on the issue, otherwise they can forget about vacation this year. There is also public opinion and pressure. If the Democrats sit around playing cards or AD&D instead of dealing with an issue of concern to the public, people are going to notice, more so that usual since it’s a special session, how poorly the Democrats are serving their interests.

With regard to the strategic reserve, calling a special session doesn’t have to lead to releasing it on the market. There are different kinds of emergencies. The reserve should only be accessed in a serious national emergency such as our enemies cutting off our supply of oil through any means. Then it should be used to power our war machine to correct the situation and to sustain our population to prevent them from starving.

FloatingRock on August 5, 2008 at 6:24 PM

aero on August 5, 2008 at 6:23 PM

I wonder if they took lessons from the Paulites!

upinak on August 5, 2008 at 6:26 PM

Could you post the letter? or part of it?

upinak on August 5, 2008 at 5:30 PM

For the moment I’m going to consider it a private correspondence between myself and my representative. It wouldn’t seem fair to publish something without letting him know it would be public.

In general it was a repeat of the things House Speaker Pelosi has been advancing as reasons against increased drilling for oil.

I need to confirm that my reply actually reached my representative, rather than being shunted to /dev/null, but in general, I attempted to refute those Democrat talking points as best as I am able.

I suspect party loyalty prevents my efforts from being persuasive, but public response to the Republican party’s attempt to publicize this issue is being noticed. (Obama’s flip-flop on drilling, and Pelosi’s appearance to defend her parties positions.)

I also suspect that this blog is being read as are other online ‘communities’. Our public debate is having an effect.

rockhauler on August 5, 2008 at 6:38 PM

I wonder if they took lessons from the Paulites!

upinak on August 5, 2008 at 6:26 PM

NOBODY is as good at spamming as the Paulites. The MoveOn’ers can try, but they’ll never reach the heights of online annoyance and stupidity dished out by the Paulites. They’re doing a pretty good job of stinking up the place over at the #dontgo feed, though. It made me mad at first. Now it just makes me sad for America that reasonable public debate always gets turned into a Code Pink-style shout-down by these “progressives” who have no real arguments, so they resort to hurling nonsensical insults and trying to be the loudest and most offensive people in the room instead. It honestly just makes me sad that this is what American “democracy” is now. All it takes is a small group peeing in the water supply to make a whole community sick.

aero on August 5, 2008 at 6:38 PM

Time to get out the old pen and sign the discharge petition …

tarpon on August 5, 2008 at 6:47 PM

I signed the petition… 12434 is my number :)

upinak on August 5, 2008 at 4:32 PM

I signed too – 14208.

Buy Danish on August 5, 2008 at 6:58 PM

Floating Rock:

They have been in session for months and what did they accomplish on this subject?

If Bush calls them back and says he wants to discuss energy policy or whatever, they still set the agenda. They decide who gets to talk.

I think this whole thing is a very smart bit of theater on the part of the Republican minority. I think they might well have coordinated at least some of it with Bush before the recess.

Pelosi refuses to bring the American Energy Act up for a vote, goes on vacation. The Republicans want to draw attention to this, so they call for an emergency session. This is the same situation they have been dealing with for months if not years. It is no more an emergency now than it was a month ago.

Now, it could be that as time passes and more and more Democrats are seperated from the fold that there will a better chance of that vote and it might be that these kinds of tactics can accelerate that process.

But demanding that Bush call an emergency session and then thinking he can sit the agenda is not true. It is still the Speaker’s House. This might all be part of a larger plan however, on the part of the Republicans to create momentum around this issue.

Terrye on August 5, 2008 at 7:08 PM

And they may not sit around playing cards, they may talk about conservation, or alternative energy, or oil spills or windfall profits. The Democrats are on the wrong end of this, and I think it will hurt them in the fall, but I still think that right now the Republicans are better off without an emergency session. Who knows, that might change.

Terrye on August 5, 2008 at 7:10 PM

Spirit:

So you are saying that the founding fathers do not consider the branches of government to be co equal? I am not saying that Bush can not call a special session of Congress. I am saying that he can not sit the agenda for that session. The Speaker of the House does that, not the President.

If all that was necessary to make them vote on this was a decree by Bush, they already had that. When he lifted the ban on offshore drilling, he called on them to take this up in the Congress and do the same. He said it would change the psychology of the markets and bring down prices. He could not force them then and he can not force them now to debate that. The time will come however, when that renewal will come up for debate and then the circumstance will change.

Believe it or not, Bush is not supposed to do everything. Some things are not his job.

Terrye on August 5, 2008 at 7:15 PM

Terrye on August 5, 2008 at 7:08 PM

Nothing. So if nothing else they haven’t earned a vacation.

Yes, but they’ll be under more scrutiny than before. And if they still don’t accomplish anything they will just dig their hole deeper.

I agree, it’s good theater, but I think it will play itself out and the impact will be greatly lessoned in a very short period of time without a new input of energy. Admittedly, I don’t watch TV so I’m not sure how much attention it’s generating already.

High energy prices are having a cumulative effect and I don’t think that the inaction of congress to address it is evidence that it isn’t a pressing issue of great national importance.

He can call them back but you’re right that he can’t set the agenda, however he can still pressure them in other ways. The special session will continue until they have an up or down vote on drilling. No vote; no vacation.

All Bush has to do is call them back and then sit back and allow them to put their own necks in the noose they’ve tied for themselves.

FloatingRock on August 5, 2008 at 7:18 PM

Spirit:

Terrye on August 5, 2008 at 7:15 PM

You figured me out. I am saying that the forefathers wanted a dictatorship. That’s why I quoted the Constitution for you twice. I guess the point didn’t get made. And if the Constitution can not make the point, I can’t.

Everything in the middle of your post we have already covered, and the beginning and ending of post illustrate that we have well passed the point of any further useful conversation on the topic… Enjoy your evening.

Spirit of 1776 on August 5, 2008 at 7:24 PM

Floating Rock:

A couple of days ago Allah said that Bush was smart not to do this, because it would be about him and not about the issue at hand. He said that a move by Bush like this might actually get in the way. Or words to that effect. He had a post up about it.

I think Allah is right about this. Most people would see it as a stunt. Because most people will think everything is about the campaign right now and if Bush becomes a part of it, more than he already is, it only helps the Democrats.

However, if the Republicans keep up the pressure it can create the same debate and in the end make it more difficult for the Democrats to run away from this. And the election looms.

Now Bush has been pressuring them for some time. Of course they say that is because he is in the pocket of the oil companies. But they can not say that about McCain so easily.

Bush made this an issue when he lifted that ban. I do not think most people get that. The ban was not up for months, but Bush went ahead and lifted it for the purpose of creating this very issue. He has handed it to the Republicans in the Congress to deal with now.

Who knows, in a week, things might change even more. I say wait and see what happens.

Terrye on August 5, 2008 at 7:27 PM

Spirit:

You are being obtuse.

Terrye on August 5, 2008 at 7:27 PM

And you did not quote the Constitution either.

Terrye on August 5, 2008 at 7:29 PM

Section 3 – State of the Union, Convening Congress

He shall from time to time give to the Congress Information of the State of the Union, and recommend to their Consideration such Measures as he shall judge necessary and expedient; he may, on extraordinary Occasions, convene both Houses, or either of them, and in Case of Disagreement between them, with Respect to the Time of Adjournment, he may adjourn them to such Time as he shall think proper; he shall receive Ambassadors and other public Ministers; he shall take Care that the Laws be faithfully executed, and shall Commission all the Officers of the United States.

You are being obtuse.

You’re just repeating arguments; my view is all upthread.

And you did not quote the Constitution either.

Terrye on August 5, 2008 at 7:29 PM

I’ve referenced 3x now, Terrye. Don’t be a stranger to it, it won’t bite. That’s (again) Article 2, Section 3.

Spirit of 1776 on August 5, 2008 at 7:36 PM

Article 2 Section 3:

{President shall communicate to Congress. He many convene and adjourn Congress in case of disagreement, etc.. Shall receive Ambassadors, execute laws, and commission officers.}

He shall from time to time give to the Congress information of the state of the Union, and recommend to their consideration such measures as he shall judge necessary and expedient; he may, on extraordinary occasions, convene both Houses, or either of them, and in case of disagreement between them with respect to the time of adjournment, he may adjourn them to such time as he shall think proper; he shall receive ambassadors and other public ministers; he shall take care that the laws be faithfully executed, and shall commission all the officers of the United States.

Terrye on August 5, 2008 at 7:38 PM

Sooner or later they will be back in session. I think the Congress should take care of this themselves. Bush did his part, now it is their turn. Maybe if the dynamics change and there is a chance for a vote or real debate, it would be different, but right now I think they should keep doing what they are doing.

Terrye on August 5, 2008 at 7:41 PM

So tell me Spirit, where in that Article does it say that the President sits the debate? Or mandates the discussion or runs the show. It says he can call them back, no one is disputing that. As far as that is concerned a president could claim an emergency for all sorts of reasons. Didn’t they come back for Shiavo?

Terrye on August 5, 2008 at 7:44 PM

Terrye on August 5, 2008 at 7:27 PM

You guys may be right and I’m not entirely confident that I’m right either, but the polls seem to indicate that the electorate has moved beyond BDS with regard to drilling. Bush doesn’t have to play a major role, he just needs to call the session with the stated intent of a vote on drilling, which is something that American’s support. Giving a short speech from the Oval Office addressing the nations energy needs and ending with the special session announcement probably wouldn’t hurt either, IMO. It doesn’t have to be limited to oil, he can address alternatives as well, but should point out the obvious that until those alternatives are discovered and developed we must still rely on oil.

FloatingRock on August 5, 2008 at 7:45 PM

Terrye on August 5, 2008 at 7:41 PM

I think they have. In Pelosi’s special plan mentioned by Politico she acknowledges that Democrats are free to support drilling.

Let’s put it to the test.

FloatingRock on August 5, 2008 at 7:50 PM

He neither sits nor sets the agenda in the Congress. But that’s not the issue. If he calls them back over the issue of energy at a time when everyone’s focus is on energy and the public supports drilling, then the onus to do something other then why the session was called is political obstructionism by the Democrats.

All this talk about the President doesn’t have the power, blah, blah, is just rhetoric. Funding bills originate in the House exclusive, but would you elect a President who didn’t have a budget and present it to Congress? Of course not. So lets not go crazy and act like the President’s hands are tied.

Spirit of 1776 on August 5, 2008 at 7:56 PM

Spirit:

Everyone’s focus was on energy when they left for vacation. Did they care?

When Bush lifted the ban on offshore drilling, did Pelosi say Oh no, we are in trouble now.

I am not saying the President has no power. I am saying the Congress has its job to do. And that is not Bush’s responsibility.

Terrye on August 5, 2008 at 8:52 PM

Sooner or later, they will be back in session and the longer the Republicans can keep this up, the better.

Terrye on August 5, 2008 at 8:55 PM

Floating Rock:

Put it to a test how? Is Madam ready to bring it up for a vote? No, so the peons can say whatever they have to appease the folks at home, her Highness will take the heat.

Now, if the Democrats lose the House {and I really hope they do} she will be out a job.

Terrye on August 5, 2008 at 8:58 PM

Then they can sit around and twiddle their thumbs for five weeks instead of taking a vacation they don’t deserve, and in the process make themselves look even worse to America than they do right now.

FloatingRock on August 5, 2008 at 9:08 PM

Brilliant!!! I’m loving it!!!

Meanwhile, you have the Paulnuts and libs-posing-as-conservatives saying “Don’t vote for McCain! Don’t vote for McCain! I’m conservative although I don’t ever bad-mouth Obama! Don’t vote for McCain”.

You know what? The dems/libs took the 2006 win as “The U.S. wants to go further left”. Libs I talked to stated that and congress obviously figured that. So what do you think would happen if Obama won? And don’t give me that “McCain needs to lose so we can get a true conservative in” crap. Yes, I know McCain is not conservative. He’s a moderate just like GWB. But you know what? If Obama and a veto-proof dem congress are in control, there is no way a “true conservative” will be able to undo the damage that they cause.

Let me put it to you all this way. Remember prohibition? Remember why that didn’t work? Because something that has been completely legal since the birth of this country was all-of-a-sudden made illegal. Now imagine if Obama gets in and everyone gets “free” health care. Now what would you suppose would happen if someone took that “free” healthcare away from people. Trust me. Once that Pandora’s box opens up, you won’t ever be able to close it.

DethMetalCookieMonst on August 5, 2008 at 9:16 PM

Terrye on August 5, 2008 at 5:29 PM

uh, mccain’s new add just kicked them right in the nuts! he’s calling out big oil when they arent to blame and while the house repubs are trying to show the dems are the ones driving up prices. the guy is fighting against his own team.

chasdal on August 5, 2008 at 9:30 PM

Maxx: 2) When did oil prices start to skyrocket? Shortly after Democrats took over the House and Senate two years ago.

Oh… is that what their campaign promise of 2006 “To do something about the price of gasoline” was all about?

electric-rascal on August 5, 2008 at 9:58 PM

Trillions of barrels of new oil, unseen?

Not even the oil barons the Republicans work for are caliming trillions.

At best, we’ll get a 1% boost in America’s oil supply in 20 years or so.

alphie on August 5, 2008 at 4:31 PM

Awwww…look at the cute little neophyte trying his own set of made-up facts!

fossten on August 5, 2008 at 9:59 PM

And here it comes…

BallisticBob on August 5, 2008 at 10:07 PM

The OCS drilling ban expires 30 September unless renewed. Yes, we need to demand a repeal of the ban, but we also need to make plans to ensure it doesn’t get renewed.

Maquis on August 5, 2008 at 11:50 PM

The point many seem to be ignoring is that the moment the traitorcrats agree to drill, the price will drop BECAUSE TEH SPECULATORS WILL DROP OUT.

Grandfan and unipak, some of us are still paying off last year’s home heating oil bills. Folks around here are already pretty uh, annoyed.

dogsoldier on August 6, 2008 at 12:55 AM

Beat Pelosi like a rented mule on this.

Don’t let up.

Don’t give in.

Beat her over the snout with a 2 X 4 EVERY SINGLE DAY.

We can take the House back from this idiot, she’s that worthless and incompetent.

BEAT PELOSI LIKE A RENTED MULE.

NoDonkey on August 6, 2008 at 8:16 AM

Just in case you have trouble finding the link: http://www.callbackcongress.com/

diogenes on August 6, 2008 at 10:11 AM

Czarina Pelosi:
Mother Of All Poop Bombs
Mother Of All Hardships

This moment matters as August provides those months necessary to prepare before the coldest Winter storms hit and we see Nancy’s cruelty as the least among us die in unprecedented numbers due to exposure to the elements and lack of warm shelter. The Salvation Army really needs substantial contributions to prepare for the onslaught of high prices of food and fuel and blankets.

Waiting until September or later to prepare for the predicted oncoming lowest temperatures on record is what Democrats do, not what Republicans do. Get the pumps pumping, start building the additional refineries.

Slash NOW the years of DNC legislated bureaucratic paperwork that enforces years of waiting for processing permission before action transpires.

Kay Bailey Hutchison has been promoting the simultaneous processing of all required permits rather than persisting with the DNC laws requiring singular applications in sequential order for those investing in domestic energy production.

Revolt against the incumbant majority that neglects the responsibility to REPRESENT THE PEOPLE as they enforce the special interest Marxist Green Big Brother agenda. The DNC is the ‘Racist Party’ that is progressing ALL AMERICANS INTO SUBSERVIANT SLAVES OF THE “NEW” SOCIALIST GOVERNMENT more powerfully now than as their former KKK identity ever functioned.

Denouncing Marxism is easier to do BEFORE it becomes the totalitarian power. DEPOSE NANCY BY VOTING AGAINST THE DNC.

GOP renaissance is in order: Constitutional Platform ’08!

maverick muse on August 6, 2008 at 10:20 AM

WordPress just refused and lost a comment submitted.

maverick muse on August 6, 2008 at 10:26 AM

How ’bout that.

maverick muse on August 6, 2008 at 10:27 AM

Wow, just think if they pushed as hard for increasing refining capacity instead of just giving oil companies cheap land alone.

They separate taxes and spending.

They separate drilling and refining.

That is the hard fight, refining capacity and opening of drilling need to be in the same bill, because otherwise the oil companies will fight for drilling and let the refining capacity issue die because it helps them quite a bit. Then they can blame the “environmentalists” on their seeming lack of political tact. This is just what I am sensing from the debate so far.

LevStrauss on August 6, 2008 at 10:39 AM

Dems: Prove you’re not liars by joining with us now

WWND?

What would Nancy do if oppressed Dems walked over and sat on the Right side of the isle?

Speakup on August 6, 2008 at 11:10 AM

Bush shows NO LEADERSHIP for not calling back Congress to resolve this matter.

All talk and no show.. just like he did when he began his second term.

madmonkphotog on August 6, 2008 at 11:19 AM

Last week i happened to see a Fox news clip of a Republican Rep., and a Demo Rep., (I forget their names); the latter wasn’t walking the bi-partisan talk of the gang of 10, not at all. And, I think that most of the rumblings from the left is mostly talk, but we’ll see.
Ed makes a good case here, but I hope that this momentum will crush Obama and his ‘go down with the ship’, (or, ‘let them pump MacDonald’s old oil’), Democraparty. I can dream.

Christine on August 6, 2008 at 3:45 PM

Name an issue the Dems have not all lined up behind the leadership on. Even the new Dems that ran to the right of Republicans have lined up behind leadership and when Collins and Snow and a couple other RINOS (McCain) join them the media calls it bipartisanship.

Do not be fooled by words watch their actions they are: LIARS = POLITICIANS all.

Drill here, drill now, drill often.

If McCain was behind drilling he could easily rally a few thousand motorcyclists and other citizens to march on D.C. and demand a vote.

If he took the lead.
Then again it would cast his “friends ” in a bad light.

dhunter on August 6, 2008 at 4:38 PM

can someone please tell me who ended what was surely a prosperous oil drilling era in the u.s.?

the former mrs.dasa assures me it was bush 41 but i can’t imagine an oil man doing that. i say it had to be clinton appeasing the saudi’s in some under the table fashion—but i could be totally wrong.

devadevadasa on August 6, 2008 at 8:57 PM