Video: Celebrity gets out the vote for celebrity

posted at 3:15 pm on August 4, 2008 by Allahpundit

Another day, another shameful racist ad juxtaposing mentions of Barack Obama with an attractive young white woman. Question: Does Paltrow even qualify as a celebrity anymore? “Iron Man” did big enough business this year that she should be given the benefit of the doubt, I guess, but if not for that we’d be in “she looks familiar” territory. If you’re wondering why the Democrats would enlist a B-lister when they have so many A-listers available, it’s simple: She’s a member of the same expat community this spot’s aimed at, a fact that may or may not be known to the average viewer. If, like Jaime Sneider, you’re wondering why they’d make the ad four times longer than it needs to be while gratuitously including a celebrity in the same week that McCain’s used that meme to paint Obama as a hype-driven lightweight, that’s simple too: The Democrats’ ad teams reek. Exit quotation: Was the $1,000 VIP admission to mingle with Damon and Affleck worth it, do you think? I bet it totally was.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Her nickname use to be Fishstick. It fits, too.

Blake on August 4, 2008 at 4:48 PM

Should we care about what celebrities think?

We already know they think we’re a walking, breathing crime just for being Conservatives…

newton on August 4, 2008 at 4:50 PM

Everyone knows U.S. Americans such as in the military aren’t true U.S. Americans like and such as the Hollywood celebrity and college students peoples and such as the South Africa and the Germany.

econavenger on August 4, 2008 at 4:51 PM

Also such as the like the France

econavenger on August 4, 2008 at 4:52 PM

What a celebrity.

Akzed on August 4, 2008 at 4:53 PM

Ha.
The Republicans should get the tape of that HBO recount movie, you know the scene where they scoff at Joe Lieberman trying to make sure the military ballots get counted?

Anyway, it is odd that they want to be so inclusive of the world in this ad, yet it is also “Vote Obama. Vote Democrat”. My guess is they want to intimidate overseas Republican voters from actually contacting them.

MayBee on August 4, 2008 at 4:59 PM

These posts sound neanderthal. Lay off. Just because she’s an air head who makes a living playing dress-up doesnt mean she isn’t entitled to her own opinion.

Labamigo on August 4, 2008 at 5:04 PM

Sorry, AP, but sheh’s hot, whether or not anyone recognizes her…

Jaibones on August 4, 2008 at 5:12 PM

Gee, nobody in uniform live abroad apparently. Only latte lapping, too hip for humanity yuppie ex-pats.

RobCon on August 4, 2008 at 5:20 PM

What’s the matter Paltrow? Adam Gadahn could not make it for your PSA? I wonder who he would vote for?

RobCon on August 4, 2008 at 5:22 PM

When I used to do somehting that I thought was cool, my father used to say, ” Son, you look very pleased with yourself and if so you are easily pleased “.

Johan Klaus on August 4, 2008 at 5:36 PM

“I thought my mother would sort it out for me” Yep, that’s an Obama supporter alright.

RobCon on August 4, 2008 at 5:39 PM

Wow, you guys just tear into people. I swear, he could put up a picture of Santa Claus and you all would rip old St. Nick apart.

Have you spend months stewing over Gwyneth Paltrow, her looks, her acting, her political views, the names of her kids, just waiting to unleash this torrent of abuse? I mean, you can’t just turn this type of outrage on spontaneously, can you?

tlynch001 on August 4, 2008 at 6:04 PM

Next up identity theft from abroad.

- The Cat

P.S. I wasn’t calling her a broad. That girl got nary a hip.

MirCat on August 4, 2008 at 6:06 PM

tlynch001 on August 4, 2008 at 6:04 PM

Santa wears a red suit, must be a communist.
Has long hair and a beard, must be a pacifist.
What’s in that pipe that he’s smoking. . .

- The Arlo Guthrie

P.S. He might just be drug smuggling or a coyote for the elves.

MirCat on August 4, 2008 at 6:10 PM

“She looks vaguely familiar…Haughty…Superior…Nose long enough to look down at all of us plebs with…Obviously liberal.
Pulchritudinous Patriot on August 4, 2008 at 3:18 PM
All apt descriptors, PP. Not only that but this British Hollywood star also chose to move back to Britain a few years ago and made some pretty nasty anti-US and anti-Americans remarks. All haughty, superior and looking down that long thin nose. Add vacuous.

For that reason, I added Paltrow to my list of movie actors to whose works I won’t pay to see. She’s entitled to her opinion and I’m entitled to exercise my “vote-by-purchase choice”.

DavePa on August 4, 2008 at 6:19 PM

I’ll admit I didn’t read a single post …I don’t have the time right now…however…
This reeks of major corruption…and we’ll know this if Jim Morrison votes…
Unless he votes for McCain that is…

jerrytbg on August 4, 2008 at 6:33 PM

I love the implied condescension in this ad.

“Are you STUPID!? Well, if you don’t have an absentee ballot, YOU TOTALLY ARE! Geez, even my MOM can get a ballot! Can’t you use a COMPUTER or are you MCCAIN? Get your ballot and VOTE DEMOCRAT, or GWENNYTH and APPLE will TOTALLY MOCK YOUR IGNORANT RED-STATING BUTT!”

Nethicus on August 4, 2008 at 6:43 PM

Paltrow a B-lister? I don’t think so. I don’t like her, but she’s still a draw. And she’s American, not British.

Rosmerta on August 4, 2008 at 6:44 PM

I’ve always liked her. I always thought that douchebag Pitt made a mistake when he dumped her for Angelina Jolie.

But Angelina has sounded a little less wrong of late (daddy’s unwitting influence??!?), even though she’s waaay underweight and boney, as well as being completely overexposed.

Don’t get me wrong. I always knew Gwyneth was a leftist. I’m just disappointed (with myself) that I like her anyway–especially as a redhead.

urbancenturion on August 4, 2008 at 6:57 PM

Uhhhmm, which one was the celebrity?

GreenBlade on August 4, 2008 at 8:00 PM

Here’s an interesting article…

Vote from Abroad — But Not if You’re In the Military

This sums it up for me.

Claypigeon on August 4, 2008 at 8:10 PM

OK, what’s wrong with this ad again? Judging by how Allah immediately started attacking Paltrow’s career, I though he had nothing to say. Is it right? I just want to make sure.

freevillage on August 4, 2008 at 8:21 PM

If she hasn’t been photographed sans undies getting out of a limo in a tabloid, her celebrity status means nothing to me.

austinnelly on August 4, 2008 at 8:31 PM

think they had enough edits in this spot? fer chissakes.

DrW on August 4, 2008 at 9:02 PM

I bet it wasn’t.

How surprising: Vote from abroad. Vote for Obama.

4shoes on August 4, 2008 at 9:59 PM

What’s in the box?

BDavis on August 4, 2008 at 10:04 PM

I thought the will.i.am ad was annoying, but this is worse by an order of magnitude. Oh, sorry, I guess this is supposed to be a-r-t!

gxpgxp on August 4, 2008 at 10:10 PM

tlynch001 on August 4, 2008 at 6:04 PM

No, it’s not outrage, it’s more like sport. And one doesn’t have to spend months practicing when the target is so large.

Trainwreck on August 4, 2008 at 10:23 PM

That’s what happened in the last Italian elections. The Italian expats helped unseat Berlusconi. With out their votes he would have stayed in power.

AlexB on August 4, 2008 at 11:08 PM

from Siberia…

Yeah Dems, you wish!

CliffHanger on August 4, 2008 at 11:16 PM

I’ll be voting from Jerusalem.

For McCain.

My three voting eligible aged children will also be voting from Jerusalem.

For McCain.

Thanks for the reminder but we already registered for absentee ballots over half a year ago.

Shy Guy on August 4, 2008 at 11:56 PM

As Virginia ‘Pepper’ Potts, I can deal with the illision of the character.
As one of the most stupidist of morons in reality, I choose to the following statement:

SHUTUP AND ACT!

Kini on August 4, 2008 at 11:59 PM

I feel like I was born a Democrat.

So was I. But many of us eventually get over the absolute dependence, the crying, the immaturity, & the lack of rational thought processes.

jgapinoy on August 5, 2008 at 12:36 AM

Racist? Are you kidding?

Vote From A Broad Dot Org…

I’m just saying, chicks don’t like it when you call them “broads”. It may be “sexist” or something.

Call my analysis silly if you want, but is it more silly than complaining about phallic symbols in McCain’s ads? At least he isn’t specifically calling for “broads” to vote for him.

Damn, now I’m not sure if I’m being sarcastic or not… snotty yes, but sarcastic?

gekkobear on August 5, 2008 at 12:38 AM

That is sweet. Fantastic. They care so much that I’m voting for the Obamanation.

yea.

Skidd on August 5, 2008 at 12:55 AM

First, isn’t this Vote From A Broad thing a bit sexist?

Second, there are hundreds of thousands of military people overseas who would probably love to vote for McCain, so this is a really good idea.

Third, most people are indeed born Democrats. The family is essentially a socialist organization where an elite rules over a lower class that often does know enough to tie its own shoes or crap in a toilet. From each according to its ability to each according to its need is its motto. The elite tend to all the needs of its helpless lower class, providing food and shelter and health care.

But Republicans grow up, become independent, and move out of the house. Democrats never do. They want to stay dependent on a mommy state which protects them from every risk and shock.

Tantor on August 5, 2008 at 12:56 AM

robblefarian on August 4, 2008 at 3:25 PM

Good summary. Decent blond dye-job and not fat – this is what passes for “hot” in this time and place. She seems like a drip.

Jaibones on August 5, 2008 at 1:11 AM

robblefarian on August 4, 2008 at 3:25 PM

For the record, admit it: you’d hit it in a heartbeat.

Jaibones on August 5, 2008 at 1:13 AM

Vote From A Broad Dot Org…

gekkobear on August 5, 2008 at 12:38 AM

Vote from a broad? :-) Doesn’t sound quite right though – I think you may be onto something even bigger here:

Vote Hillary
Vote Now
VoteForABroad.org

“Obviously, the ad was months in the planning stage and had to be abruptly changed when Obama almost took the nomination… thankfully we were able to locate willing so many Anti-American expats on short notice…”

Okay, not funny – I admit it :-)

RD on August 5, 2008 at 10:29 AM