David Gergen: McCain’s “Moses” ad is code for calling Obama “uppity”

posted at 6:08 pm on August 3, 2008 by Allahpundit

In which the single dumbest, most paranoid racial charge of the campaign is recycled on national television by a former presidential advisor and current Harvard professor. I said it before but it bears repeating: If you take this logic to its conclusion, there’s literally no non-racist way to accuse a member of a minority group of having an outsized ego. Any synonym you can conjure — elitist, arrogant, “megalomaniac narcissist” (to quote Hitchens) — can all happily be dismissed as “code,” regardless of whether the subject might in fact (a) display his very own presidential seal, (b) be known to describe rural voters in terms that call to mind Cletus the slackjawed yokel on “The Simpsons,” and (c) oh, by the way, lead his very own cult with himself as godhead.

George Will makes a point I made myself last week, that the irony of all these bad-faith charges of racism is that most of the GOP’s knocks on Obama’s ego are straight out of the playbook they used against “haughty, French-looking Democrat” John Kerry. Granted, there was no “Moses” ad for Waffles, but that’s because most people hated him; Obama is adored to an absurdly iconic extent, especially vis-a-vis his actual accomplishments (in Lindsey Graham’s words, “fame without portfolio”), which is why he gets goofed on as leading people to the Promised Land whereas Kerry got the windsurfer treatment. (Although there are plenty of goofs on Obama along the same dorky windsurfer lines to be found if you look around.) The real “tell” here, though, is what Gergen offers as further evidence to support his point — that McCain, when asked about affirmative action, said he opposes quotas. A perfectly mainstream conservative position, and certainly one McCain would also hold if he was facing Hillary, but because he’s facing Obama McCain’s no longer allowed to talk about it. Presumably he should be responding to questions on the subject with a terse “no comment” lest halfwits like this whip out their secret racial decoder rings to tell America what he “really” meant.

That’s okay. The more ridiculous the left’s demagoguery becomes, the more credibility they lose with voters. See, e.g., the new Rasmussen poll on McCain’s Britney ad. Not only did a vast majority see nothing racist about it (Democrats themselves are evenly divided) but fully 53% found St. Barack’s “dollar bill” comment over the line, including 44% of blacks. Keep talking, Gergen. Click the image to watch.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

McCain was calling other Republicans racist (and xenophobic). How quickly some we forget

Excuse me, where did McCain call Republicans racist?

You’ve recited an allegation by Santorum that behind closed doors McCain called opponents (some? all? many?) of his legislation xenophobes and that they ran the risk of being perceived as racists by Hispanics.

You do know the difference between an allegation and a fact?

And the difference between xenophobia and racism?

And the difference between perception and reality?

For someone who likes to lecture others on their reading comprehension problems, you sure need help on that skill yourself.

SteveMG on August 3, 2008 at 8:08 PM

No, the McCain “moses” ad is not code for calling Obama “uppity.” Gergen is an idiot for saying that. The “Moses” ad quite humorously pokes fun at Obama’s socialist cult of personality and Obama’s inexperience.

Phil Byler on August 3, 2008 at 8:12 PM

SteveMG on August 3, 2008 at 8:08 PM

eh…I figured MB4 was being intentionally selective in his reply. He cannot refute that McCain’s assertion of the perception of racism was the correctly predicted political outcome.

BryanS on August 3, 2008 at 8:24 PM

What is it with these media type ignoramus’s, do they think the unwashed masses will miss the fact that Obama is black unless the media points it out? Gergen is despicable, he’s no conservative, why he is generally recognized as one I have no idea, he’s a liberal loon.

Maxx on August 3, 2008 at 8:27 PM

A while back, a pitiful little troll asked: “How do you account for Bill Clinton’s two recent victories…”

For those too young to remember, or those thinking about voting third party this year, the answer is two words:
Ross. Perot.

Rodent on August 3, 2008 at 8:29 PM

People that saw the Moses commercial as racist are either A) Crazy, or more likely B) Probing to see how soft McCain and company are in terms of defining future negative ads against their empty suit.
Raise a little fake ruckus and see if they (GOP) blink since we have so many spineless wimps at the controls.
From here on out McCain has to be Grant, not McClellan.

jjshaka on August 3, 2008 at 8:48 PM

SteveMG on August 3, 2008 at 8:08 PM

Oh come on Steve. He didn’t say “You Republicans are racists,” I agree.

once having called a proposal to cap his guest-worker plan at a mere 650,000 un-American and having compared guest workers’ tax treatment to Jim Crow.

Yeah, Jim Crow doesn’t mean or imply racism, oh no no no.

And don’t forget Mini-Me, Lindsey Grahamnesty, telling the bigots to shut up.

misterpeasea on August 3, 2008 at 8:49 PM

Gergen wouldn’t make a pimple on a southerner’s butt. He makes me want to vomit every time I hear him utter his milk toasty commentary. He even talks out of the “left” side of his mouth.

wepeople on August 3, 2008 at 8:53 PM

This is where politically correct speech leads, we are now at the point that no matter how carefully we weigh our words in criticism of Obama, that it doesn’t matter because the left puts words in our mouths. It should be ignored and/or scoffed at. Nobody on the Right said “uppity,” the Left said it.

Maxx on August 3, 2008 at 8:53 PM

I saw this this morning and just shook my head at the idiocy. Some clown that says he’s a southerner to give him racist cred says basically that since the whole country knows that southerners are a bunch of racists he’ll let them in on a little of our code. I’ve lived in Georgia for 47 years. Where the heck do I go to find my code book?

Isn’t We are the ones, we’ve been waiting for and the like a pretty good clue of what The Obumbler thinks of himself?

In any case my pompous asshat codebook says that anybody that tries to impugn an entire region of the country to make a political point is far more bigoted than that which he seeks to denigrate to impress his Washingtonian bubble of like minded fools.

RW_theoriginal on August 3, 2008 at 8:56 PM

Go on David Gergen’s web site and send him these thoughts. I just did. He really is a moron.

wepeople on August 3, 2008 at 9:00 PM

Thank you, Allah. Gergen’s comment really chapped my a$$ and I can’t think of anyone better to take him to task for it than you.

Dusty on August 3, 2008 at 9:04 PM

“Keep talking, Gergen”

How about Gergen just shuts up?
So, he plunked himself down up at Harvard? I was wondering what hole he crawled into.

Babs on August 3, 2008 at 9:07 PM

Is the new problem that you you hit post and everything seems fine except your comment doesn’t show up? I guess I’ll know if this doesn’t show up but if it does what happened to my last one? Sorry all, just a little ramble to myself.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Does Gergan know where we can get a translator guide to the various Messianic statements from Obambi?

RW_theoriginal on August 3, 2008 at 9:07 PM

This is the same douche who said he empathized with blacks crying in his office because they just couldn’t bear the 4th of July because they didn’t feel free in America. Good lord!

SouthernGent on August 3, 2008 at 9:08 PM

Always nice to see Red on Red fire.

alphie on August 3, 2008 at 9:57 PM

Always nice to see Red on Red fire.

Yeah, you’ll have to excuse us. We’re just upset (bitter?) that the price of gasoline is dropping and our war profits in Iraq are slowing down.

Us neocons have feelings too, Alphie.

SteveMG on August 3, 2008 at 10:25 PM

Keep talking, Gergen

My momma won’t be proud of me for this, but……

Gergan is a dumbass.

BacaDog on August 3, 2008 at 10:39 PM

Indeed, this, plus the incredible presumptiousness of the seal, the “President” on his new airplane’s seat, the treatment he demands already when visiting thd Capitol, the way he acts and talks as if the election were just an inconvenience – all of this will punish him more than anything on Nov. 04.

This type of arrogance never was, never will be, and will be looked upon as crazy in retrospect.

Joe and Mary America simply do not like it.

On the topic of race, either one runs for president of all the American people, or one stays home. The entire subject has become tedious and will be ignored.

I repeat, Mr./Mrs. Obama will have done more to put race-relations back by at least 30 years than anyone else. It’s already too late to argue against it.

Entelechy on August 3, 2008 at 10:41 PM

alphie, doves are indignant.

Entelechy on August 3, 2008 at 10:41 PM

I think McCain’s strategy is now to put out the oddest campaign ads about Obama and watch the left go insane over them. Awesome.

Grafted on August 3, 2008 at 10:42 PM

alphie on August 3, 2008 at 9:57 PM

Always nice to be reminded of how stupid liberals are.

Jaibones on August 3, 2008 at 11:16 PM

Gerglin’ & Brazenille both said McCain called BO uppity, & no one–not even Will–challenged them on their idiocy.

jgapinoy on August 3, 2008 at 11:27 PM

SteveMG on August 3, 2008 at 8:08 PM

You believe McCain if he has denied it and I don’t even know if he has. I’ll put my pesos on conservative Rick Santorum not being a liar.

MB4 on August 3, 2008 at 11:55 PM

BryanS on August 3, 2008 at 8:24 PM

And you can not refute that I did not even address that part of the matter. Try to keep up.

MB4 on August 3, 2008 at 11:58 PM

I don’t care if Obama is Black. Hell, I wouldn’t care if he was Green. What I do care about, however, is the fact that he seems to be Pink, if not Red.

Dr. Charles G. Waugh on August 3, 2008 at 11:58 PM

Well he can’t well be pink as McCain already seems to have got dibs on that color.

MB4 on August 4, 2008 at 12:00 AM

MB4 on August 3, 2008 at 11:58 PM

Ummm…try making sense when you post.

Me: “MB4 was selective in his criticism and cannot refute the main point I made”

You: “And you cannot refute that I did not refute you”

Thanx genius for elevating the debate :!)

BryanS on August 4, 2008 at 12:07 AM

David Gergen got caught jerkin’ his purple gerkin.

TheSitRep on August 4, 2008 at 12:57 AM

Click the image to watch.

I trust your summary.

Kralizec on August 4, 2008 at 1:31 AM

I just skimmed over this again. Allah, you are on fire. You are off the hook. I understand why David Gergen has that sheepish look on his face.

Kralizec on August 4, 2008 at 1:44 AM

It seems like the more Obama’s numbers and support drops, the more the liberals want to make this campaign about race and racism. It’s a stupid strategy but they just can’t seem to control themselves when it comes to scurrilous attacks and name calling. I would’ve never thought it possible, but McCain may win this one in a walk after all.

Goodale on August 4, 2008 at 3:22 AM

I lived 13 years in Mobile, AL, and I can tell you that Gergen is spouting horse plop. There’s no “code.” Southerners are just as intelligent as any other group, and understand satire just fine, thank you very much.

“Code” is simply Democrats’ excuse for accusing Republicans of sins for which there exists not the first syllable of documentary evidence. They can find no support for their accusations, so they assert that what they believe is really there, only buried in “code words.” It’s conspiracy theory on steroids, and deserves the same derision that the worst conspiracy theories deserve.

Gergen is an idiot. I’ve always thought so, and now I’m convinced.

philwynk on August 4, 2008 at 6:11 AM

Gergen is hastily retreating back into the shadows from having once made a manly remark. Andrea Mitchell also is recasting her broken record, having once noted fake interviews from Obama’s Odyssey O’broad.

maverick muse on August 4, 2008 at 10:22 AM

The only reason that you racist racists won’t vote for Nambi-Pambi-Obambi is because you’re racist.

That’s Obambi’s an unqualified, inexperienced, ignorant, far-left, pacifist buffoon has nothing to do with it.

You’re all just racist, you racist racists.

Racists.

NoDonkey on August 4, 2008 at 10:26 AM

Gergen, Barnes, Brooks, Kristol, McCain- the future of the Republican Party. Over my dead body.

Valiant on August 4, 2008 at 10:59 AM

Over my dead body.

Valiant on August 4, 2008 at 10:59 AM

Careful. Obama’s Civilian National Security Force may take you up on that.

Sig Heil!

fogw on August 4, 2008 at 11:08 AM

Keep tossing those race cards, Democrats!

Nahanni on August 4, 2008 at 11:19 AM

Ran Gergen through my Secret Code Ring:

G = S
e = T
R = u
g = p
E = i
n = D

tgillian on August 4, 2008 at 11:32 AM

I’m from the South. I must have lost my code book ‘cuz I completely missed the ‘uppity’ message via Moses in McCain’s ad. The only ‘code’ about uppity that I’ve gleaned from my Southern-ness is someone constantly tooting their horn about who they are and what makes them “them.” That’s uppity. Doesn’t have anything to do with Moses or Mr. Heston.

Monkeybrains220 on August 4, 2008 at 11:36 AM

And these clowns say McCain’s campaign is old and tired??? Does Gergen or anyone else have a cue how long it has been since anyone actually used the word “uppity” or even know what it meant?

Uppity was when a colored man tried to vote. Uppity was when the Negro came in to your office and asked for a promotion after getting passed over 5 times. Uppity was when the maid asked for a raise. Rosa Parks was uppity. Martin Luther King was uppity.

Barack Obama uppity? It is to laugh.

rockmom on August 4, 2008 at 12:26 PM

If only we had called them racist every single time they attacked Condi Rice. Or could you imagine if Republicans threw oreo cookies at Obama, like libtards did at Michael Steele?

foxforce91 on August 4, 2008 at 12:35 PM

How do they get so many self loathing people into the same political party? Is that the criteria for a Progressive? I hate myself and everyone is a racist or a closet racist…do they understand yet, that they have used up all the energy in this term- racist. Racist used to mean something, now it is so much clicking and buzzing noise. Not gonna work Mr Gergen, not gonna go back on the Democrat Reservation. Suggested reading for Mr Gergen, I’m Okay Your Okay. LOL

Dr Evil on August 4, 2008 at 2:08 PM

I can’t even watch Gergan anymore. Everything out of his mouth coddles Obama and chastises McCain.

deedledee on August 4, 2008 at 2:38 PM

As far as cookies are concerned there is a difference between Obambi and Steele and you don’t need a decoder ring to figure it out.

Annar on August 4, 2008 at 3:13 PM

Isn’t Gergen a pickle?

Vinegar and oil don’t mix.

NoDonkey on August 4, 2008 at 3:25 PM

Obama will lose, and I can’t wait to watch the talking heads all turning red hot and near-exploding! Oh, it’s going to be fun!

bridgetown on August 3, 2008 at 6:42 PM

I am not so sure about ‘talking heads’. I would be more weary about the mobs on the street (oops, Obama supporters).

“There is NO WAY Obama lost, it must be stolen from HIM.”

Sir Napsalot on August 4, 2008 at 3:50 PM

Gergen was the “nonbiased” “expert” on Andrea Mitchell’s news report two nights ago. It was hard to tell who worshipped Obama more: Mitchell or Gergen. All I can say is that both of them seemed to have an interest in Barack Obama that was downright libidinous. Watching Mitchell and Gergen go on adnauseum about how Obama was a post-racial candidate while McCain was using George Wallace style code words was quite sickening. Mitchell showed a clip of Obama saying “John McCain is an honorable man” while then showing John McCain being negative about Obama. Mitchell could have shown McCain’s flattering words about Obama from the NAACP speech. She did not. Mitchell could have shown Obama fibbing about McCain supposedly wanting “100 years of war in Iraq”. She did not. She depicted a Manichean struggle with Obama representing the forces of goodness and light with McCain representing the old order of Jesse Helms and George Wallace. And Gergen babbled on about how all of this negativism from McCain was destroying the once good reputation of John McCain.

Larraby on August 4, 2008 at 5:12 PM

Y’all jes’ don’t geddit…

Moses went uppidy mountain to get the Ten Commandments.

Therefore………………

franksalterego on August 4, 2008 at 5:39 PM

What David Gergen really needs to worry about is that frickin’ comb-over denial of a hairdo he’s sportin’…

eanax on August 5, 2008 at 12:21 AM

Gergen’s attempt at atonement in Barack’s good graces is pathetic.

“Uppity” says David Gergen. So Gergen introduced “uppity” into the political dialogue winds of CHANGE.

And pronouncing “code” is merely to correctly divine Oba’s revisionist Newspeak as Oba would have his malleable nature understood. Barack’s Crock Pot Road Kill Soup simmering ninety-what days until the vote…disgusting no matter what.

maverick muse on August 5, 2008 at 10:03 AM

Funny, but in Colin Powell’s autobiography, he clearly stated that he favored “affirmative action without quotas.” He must have been sending a signal, because according to Gergen, we know what that means.

glendower on August 5, 2008 at 11:30 AM