Tapscott: GOP missed opportunity in Capitol Hill rebellion

posted at 10:43 am on August 2, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

Yesterday Republicans around the nation cheered when their beleaguered minority House caucus seized the floor and refused to leave after Speaker Nancy Pelosi adjourned the chamber without a debate on expanding domestic oil production.  Pelosi ordered the lights and the cameras off, but Republicans extended their protest rally with the darkness a perfect allegory for Democratic inaction on energy.  As the protest grew and media coverage expanded, Pelosi made a huge mistake in ordering Capitol Hill police to evict the Republicans from the building.

And Mark Tapscott argues that the Republicans made a mistake in complying:

Yes, the House GOPers scored an unexpected coup today and they got loads of beneficial coverage in the media and across the blogosphere for one day. But how long will this day be remembered? After Labor Day, it will likely be little more than a fond memory for those who were there.

But this could have been so much bigger. The Democrats are forewarned now and likely will go out of their way to preclude any similar opportunities in September.

But even beyond that consideration, the fundamental reason the GOPers should have stayed on the House floor today was to vividly demonstrate to their rank and file beyond the Beltway that this time they mean business and they are not just playing the issue  for temporary gain.

Mark lays out the scenario in the first part of his essay.  He doesn’t foresee mass arrests of House members for squatting, although that would have been delicious.  Mark believes that the Republicans would have forced Pelosi back to Washington to re-open Congress and deal with the debate by essentially turning the floor of the House into a campground.  No lights?   Bring in some kerosene lamps.  Invite the media to come in (with portable equipment, presumably) and see how long the GOP would wait for Pelosi to surrender.

I’m not as certain as Mark that it would have forced Pelosi back to Washington … but it would have been fun to watch her and her caucus squirm over an unending rally to debate policy favored by 70% of the nation.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Why won’t Bush?

JeffreyLloyd on August 2, 2008 at 10:51 AM

Bush doesn’t make snap decisions. He carefully deliberates.

fossten on August 2, 2008 at 1:35 PM

Nothing embarasses Pelosi

if anything could, she would already have removed herself from the public sphere

urbancenturion on August 2, 2008 at 1:35 PM

What a display of stiffening backbone. It’s really TOO BAD that the Networks didn’t see it as news

And you’re SURPRISED by this?

The MSM is busily trying to shape the narrative and news flow to favor Barack and the Dems. Example: Andrea Mitchell’s scornful dismissal of the notion that the Obama campaign is trying to play the race card.

Footage of the GOP standing firm on Capitol Hill would play to the GOP’s favor. That means that, per se, such footage is taboo on MSM news shows.

Fortunately, we have O’Reilley and Hannity and Glenn Beck and Fox News Channel to get the word out. Plus, the GOP has figured out how to weaponize YouTube.

IMO the House GOP was smart to not overplay its hand. As I said upthread, imagine pictures of Capitol Hill police scuffling with GOP House staffers and fired-up tourists. I assure you Andrea Mitchell and Soledad O’Brien, among many many others, would have turned that into a good anti-GOP visual and discussion thread. The GOP would then have been forced to spend time, effort and money fixing the PR damage.

The GOP is in, to put it mildly, a weakened state now. It needs to pick its battles well, and then win the fights it picks.

Yes, this was a stunt. But so was the Boston Tea Party.

smagar on August 2, 2008 at 1:35 PM

But even beyond that consideration, the fundamental reason the GOPers should have stayed on the House floor today was to vividly demonstrate to their rank and file beyond the Beltway that this time they mean business and they are not just playing the issue for temporary gain.

Republicans theses days, never missing an opportunity to miss an opportunity.

They probably didn’t want to be late for Friday Night Happy Hour. I warned that someone should bring them some booze, to fortify them and make it so that they would want to stay, but no one listened.

MB4 on August 2, 2008 at 1:37 PM

Bush doesn’t make snap decisions. He carefully deliberates.

fossten on August 2, 2008 at 1:35 PM

and then makes a snap decision.

MB4 on August 2, 2008 at 1:39 PM

Staying until 5pm and making speeches, that’s going hard. Staying afterwards and forcing the issue, not only risking yourself, but the tourists who are likely to be arrested in mass? That crosses the line.

A NCO used to tell me that there is a fine line between being hard, and being stupid. Forcing the hand of the police, and putting the observers at risk? That would be stupid. No, the Republicans made a point, and pushed the issue as far as they dared without getting any of the observers inadvertently in trouble.

Now, the question is this. Do they settle for the moral win now, or do they push on, and try to go for a real victory?

If it’s the latter, then the next course of action is clear. Obviously, Nancy has too much control over the House of Representatives, so it’s time to go Old School, Contract with America old school.

Flood the local offices of your congressmen, they all have one, and Senators, and tell them you want to drill and drill now. Reagan had us do that for tax cuts, and the Democrats caved. Newt pushed that plan with Welfare Reform, and Clinton caved. If the Congressmen are back home, flood the offices with calls. Visit your Congressman’s local office and take cameras, post video’s on you tube, and demand to know when the Congressman will be taking action to guarantee America’s energy security by voting for domestic drilling?

Chances are your Congressman has speaking engagements and campaign stops planned for this month in their home districts. If at every one people are demanding to know when we’ll be able to join the Cubans and the Mexicans in drilling off our coast, and why we aren’t? You get the idea.

We had to chase them down and demand action on Border Security to shut down McCain’s amnesty plan, and this is one of those things that makes me sick. The fact that we have to chase down and demand that elected representatives do the right thing is asinine.

Snake307 on August 2, 2008 at 12:05 PM

THIS.

fossten on August 2, 2008 at 1:43 PM

Just called my Rep’s office and left a voice mail to wit: just checking to make sure he made it home safely yesterday and that his vacation is off to a grand start! I meanwhile am trying to come up with some extra funds to fill my lawn mower this weekend so I can mow. But not to worry about us ‘constituents’, no, no, you have a fabulous time this month!

dustoffmom on August 2, 2008 at 1:43 PM

Called my Rep’s office too and said similar! Few days I will call again and hope that his vacation is going well but foresee no time off for my family. Must pay for gas and save up for fuel oil.

jeanie on August 2, 2008 at 1:57 PM

Nothing embarasses Pelosi

By all indications, gray hair and that saggy skin around the eyes and cheekbones all seem to embarrass her.

Jaibones on August 2, 2008 at 1:58 PM

Depressing. Sometimes it seems that even when we do well with political maneuvering, still we screw up. As Mark says, this could have been a huge, long-running story. As usual, they escalated the confrontation, and we caved to their bullying.

Mark’s other point is important too: Our elected representatives need to understand that this fight is over much more than protecting the environment. They must understand and articulate that ‘environmentalism’ for the left has become less about protecting the environment than it is about grabbing power… grabbing more control over our everyday living.

petefrt on August 2, 2008 at 2:03 PM

I too was disappointed that they caved at 5:00pm. As Jefferson said the tree of liberty needs watered every once in awhile. This could have been the water for the tree to carry it for the next 2 years.

unseen on August 2, 2008 at 2:09 PM

“..grabbing power..” Look at California or Seattle as examples of what can happen if we do not stand up for our rights as individuals. It starts out with plastic bags and trans-fats and light bulbs and ends up as freedom of speech and right to own a weapon etc etc. Anyone who thinks it can’t happen here is deluding themselves. And…the Democratic Party(as it exists today) is the entity who will make it all happen, if allowed.

jeanie on August 2, 2008 at 2:14 PM

Gandhi is another example of peaceful civil disobedience, and by the way, that idea goes back to St. Augustine who told us that an unjust law is no law.

We’ll never know if the Hindoo Gandhi would have led a rebeliion against suttee. We do know that Christian England ended it by law, not by sit-ins.

St. Paul said to obey the magistrates when Nero was emperor. St. Peter said that we should obey God when men try to make us contradict Him. No apostles advocated civil dispobedience of the kind Christians often employ today during demonstrations – the same tactics used by anarcists and Communists.

Rather than go around getting arested at sit-ins, the Foudners formed a new government and fought to keep it, John Calvin’s “lesser magistrate” theory in action.

Being dragged out of a building by cops is simply unseemly.

Akzed on August 2, 2008 at 2:16 PM

I thought the protest was a great idea and look forward to seeing videos.

However, it is too early to stage the Boston Tea Party. People are not watching the news.Wait until the summer lull is over.

Pelosi will give them more opportunities. Like the old dog, Pelosi can’t resist if you throw her a bone

entagor on August 2, 2008 at 2:32 PM

Snake307 on August 2, 2008 at 12:05 PM

And don’t forget the ChiComs.

misterpeasea on August 2, 2008 at 2:34 PM

Mark is right and Republicans have no balls and are simple drama queens. Bugger the lot of ‘em.

pabarge on August 2, 2008 at 3:00 PM

They should have stayed there in shifts, and keep coming back. Let Pelosi politburo have them arrested.
Also start calling it the “Texas Tea Party”.

Corsair on August 2, 2008 at 3:01 PM

I don’t know…the Democrats tried a similar stunt back during the Republicans thousand year majority(haha) and it didn’t generate much press.

Grown men and woman throwing a sleepover isn’t much of a tale.

alphie on August 2, 2008 at 3:21 PM

pabarge on August 2, 2008 at 3:00 PM

But you’re not a Drama Queen, right? I ask because while Mark had other tactical ideas of how this should have proceeded, did not have an angry hissy fit, like you.

Buy Danish on August 2, 2008 at 3:26 PM

I think the Republicans made their point without kerosene lamps. And no, I don’t think it would have forced Pelosi back. She would have just called it a stunt and refused to acknowledge them. The woman is stubborn. She has something in common with Obama: hubris.

Terrye on August 2, 2008 at 3:26 PM

Doesn’t Bush have to have a reason to call them back, something other than the desire to piss off the Democrats?

Would it be just to have a vote on the Energy bill?

Terrye on August 2, 2008 at 3:29 PM

Grown men and woman throwing a sleepover isn’t much of a tale.

alphie on August 2, 2008 at 3:21 PM

Real Schadenfreude will soon take a hold of your schadenfreude. Just wait and see. I’ll take you over as my client, for sure. I promise. It will be volens/nolens for you.

Entelechy on August 2, 2008 at 3:42 PM

If a tree falls in the forest, and there is no one there to hear it, did it make a sound?

Romeo13 corrolary: If a man speaks in a forest, and there is no woman there to hear him, is he still wrong?

Pelosi’s version: If the Republicans are in the House making sense, and I don’t let CAMERAS in to show it, did it even happen?

Romeo13 on August 2, 2008 at 3:50 PM

Coming from perusing exciting and crushingly relevant assorted headlines from MSM: Maine Island Loses Trash Can Mail Delivery,Hollywoods Fat Loss Breakthrough,Theater Villain Charged in Real Life Whodunit,Wayward Vehicle Hits Parade in Sheboygan, Florida Man Shoots Pit Bull…” Still no mention of the House debacle. What is the matter with these people??? The above is NEWS? Like, who cares!!! I eagerly await their inevitable demise.

jeanie on August 2, 2008 at 3:51 PM

Either way it would have brought more attention to this issue and the Dhimmicrats refusal to help their constituents. I’d have gone downtown to watch the ruckus!

4shoes on August 2, 2008 at 3:54 PM

From currency, to energy to property rights, issues today are clouded with so much static and partisan bickering that the average person has little real comprehension of what is happening. Frequently Democrats and Republicans blame each other when often they’re both responsible and fiddle while Rome burns.

Entelechy on August 2, 2008 at 4:04 PM

Are the Capital Police charged with protecting Congress from Congressmen giving speeches? Or are they a modern day Praetorian Guard – political enforcers acting as hired thugs for whomever happens to be “first among equals” at the moment?

‘Cause I’m pretty sure that’s not what their charter says.

logis on August 2, 2008 at 4:19 PM

I see it as a sign of life from the Republicans, something I think all of us can agree upon that we have been asking for a long time…….

The RINO’s left town and those who stayed behind brought a spark of hope that resonated all across the country. Screw the MSM, we all saw and read about it, and now Pandora’s Box has been opened.

Bush had it right, he will not call them back into session because the better poison is to have these fools go back home and face the wrath of people paying $4.50/gal for gas, and having to answer the direct questions…. “Hey Idiot, I can’t afford to take a vacation this year, I am paying you to fix this problem, so FIX IT!!!”

As August heats up, this “stunt” as they call it just may be duplicated by “stunts” across the country, it may change election campaigns, it may be discussed on talk radio, it may make for some new YouTube ads, every day from now until November.

The Dem’s have been dragging their feet on this country’s energy independence for at least a generation, being lead by the nose by radical extreme environmentalists…….. And now the light of day is shining on them and they are running like cockroaches.

This is not going to go away, just like Lexington and Concord. Don’t let the MSM dictate the argument, take responsibility of it, take ownership, use forums like this and others and take the fight to them.

“Stunt”? Yeah right. Look what it has started….. in August, when we are all supposed to be on Staycations…..

Seven Percent Solution on August 2, 2008 at 4:28 PM

If this is such a critical situation Bush should announce that because of the political instability of the country he will be in the District of Columbia until Pelosi backs down. No trips to China or Texas. It is nut cutting time.

JonRoss on August 2, 2008 at 4:36 PM

You go 7%!!! Hugs,

Entelechy on August 2, 2008 at 4:41 PM

I haven’t heard anyone explain why the heck Nancy Pelosi had authority to order any of this? Does the Speaker of the House own the building and all its utilities?……….
logis on August 2, 2008 at 4:19 PM
I called Pelosi’s office in DC Friday and someone answered. I asked this very question. The person who answered the phone was smarmey and combative. I thought I was being very polite. He said because the speaker had ended the session and removed the “mace” that the Republicans had no right to remain in the House Chamber. I also called the SF office and they refused to talk because I wasn’t a resident of the Bay Area and therefore not a “constiuent”. I told them that since Pelosi was speaker she was a constiuent of the entire country and that I had as much right as anyone in San Fran to ask questions. I was hung up on. I am PUMPED now.

JonRoss on August 2, 2008 at 4:43 PM

I know…”Constituent” (maybe). Spell check takes up too much time.

JonRoss on August 2, 2008 at 4:45 PM

Actually this was all a ploy to crush the box office totals for ‘Swing vote’; why pay $8 for fictional political entertainment when Friday Afternoon Silly Season Theater costs nothing?

michaelo on August 2, 2008 at 4:57 PM

I told [Pelosi's office] that since Pelosi was speaker she was a constiuent of the entire country and that I had as much right as anyone in San Fran to ask questions. I was hung up on.
JonRoss on August 2, 2008 at 4:43 PM

Well of course: She demands absolute authority, but expects to face strictly limited accountability. Why is this surprising?

Seriously though, if your local Representative is a Democrat then that’s where you’ll get the most leverage. When you call his office to ask why he’s not getting off his ass and doing something about the oil crisis, you might also want to also mention this.

logis on August 2, 2008 at 4:57 PM

The thing is that if Pelosi did not come back…then what. Sooner or later they would have had to call it a day.

The important thing is to do more things like this. Keep up the pressure.

Terrye on August 2, 2008 at 5:11 PM

I just tried to leave messages on both of Pelosi’s Sacramento and Washington offices, but both mailboxes are either full or shut off, so I left email for my rep Duncan Hunter. When I do I always start by thanking him for being a breath of fresh air in an otherwise fetid political pool. At that point I asked him to please express to Speaker Pelosi my congratulations for gettng off on her vacation. I stated that I didn’t mind not being able to visit my relatives or even buy gas for my lawn mower! I just stated that I hoped that she enjoyed her vacation! Then I let him know that the statements were made with tongue firmly planted in cheek and again thanked him for representing me!

Vntnrse on August 2, 2008 at 5:24 PM

…And Jon, Nancy Pelosi is Speaker of the House. Like it or not, she runs the show. Or doesn’t run it, depending in how you look at it.

Terrye on August 2, 2008 at 5:11 PM

Agreed. Doesn’t mean I can’t flail on her when ever the spirit moves me. She is a sorry pile of dung and needs to be told so as frequently as possible.

JonRoss on August 2, 2008 at 5:43 PM

Ok, I apologize for being this dense, but could someone please tell me WHY this is supposed to be the Democrats’ year? I’m serious. I’d really like an answer. What have they done that’s so appealing to the general public? They raised the minimum wage (and I’m not bragging about that), but what else have they done that the public wants more of?

SoldiersMom on August 2, 2008 at 6:06 PM

Dude, this could’ve been a modern Boston Tea Party that could have possibly handed the election to the GOP and McCain…and got us out of high gas prices.

Wyznowski on August 2, 2008 at 6:08 PM

This has become just another lame attempt for republicans to get attention. They remind me of children. They had their little temper tantrum and because no one was really paying much attention and mommy turned off the light, they quit and gave up. They are not willing to stand up and fight for anything and are as much to blame as the democrats. This will all be blown over in less than a week because they pulled the troops home. Quitters and Cowards.

Wade on August 2, 2008 at 6:08 PM

SoldiersMom on August 2, 2008 at 6:06 PM

Because the media keeps saying so?

The fact that the Repubs think they are going to loose seats in both house and senate, while the current Congress has a 9% approval rating, reeks of surrender.

Romeo13 on August 2, 2008 at 6:22 PM

I get little pleasure in seeing how low the Republicans have sunk, ent…I used to be one.

I am glad the rubes have such little power left, though.

alphie on August 2, 2008 at 6:28 PM

You go 7%!!! Hugs,

Entelechy on August 2, 2008 at 4:41 PM

………. back at you!

Seven Percent Solution on August 2, 2008 at 6:41 PM

alphie on August 2, 2008 at 6:28 PM

With respect, I will consider the 4th definition of the word for your intellect……….. but I could be wrong:

Main Entry:
1fool Listen to the pronunciation of 1fool
Pronunciation:
\ˈfül\
Function:
noun
Etymology:
Middle English, from Anglo-French fol, from Late Latin follis, from Latin, bellows, bag; akin to Old High German bolla blister, balg bag — more at belly
Date:
13th century

1: a person lacking in judgment or prudence2 a: a retainer formerly kept in great households to provide casual entertainment and commonly dressed in motley with cap, bells, and bauble b: one who is victimized or made to appear foolish : dupe3 a: a harmlessly deranged person or one lacking in common powers of understanding b: one with a marked propensity or fondness for something 4: a cold dessert of pureed fruit mixed with whipped cream or custard

Seven Percent Solution on August 2, 2008 at 6:43 PM

I am glad the rubes have such little power left, though.

alphie on August 2, 2008 at 6:28 PM

Come on…tell us alphie, are you the one having John Edward’s love child ?

JonRoss on August 2, 2008 at 6:48 PM

I am glad the rubes have such little power left, though.

alphie on August 2, 2008 at 6:28 PM

You’re shooting yourself in the foot, and every other part you’ve got. Have at it. I’ll be here to counsel, or to taunt you.

btw, I never was, nor ever will be one. The idea, however, is not to go from dumb to utterly stupid.

Entelechy on August 2, 2008 at 6:54 PM

Sorry gang, but you’re missing the point.

A stunt is all that’s needed for now, just to make the point that the Democrats are blocking development of America’s energy resources.

The longer the price of oil stays up, way up, and the longer the Democrats stonewall on drilling, the better the Republicans’ chances become in November.

The Republicans need an issue to run on. $6 gasoline will be that issue. Unfortunately, the price is already coming down. If it gets down to $3, the Democrats win without firing a shot.

MrLynn on August 2, 2008 at 6:58 PM

If it’s all so unimportant, why are these trolls bothering with it at all?

jeanie on August 2, 2008 at 7:03 PM

Seven Percent Solution on August 2, 2008 at 4:28 PM

I’m with you and with the others who said that the point was made.

Even if the MSM gave this event short shrift, there are plenty of blogs that can keep the point alive, fire up the citizenry, and provide sound bites for upcoming ads.

My hat is off in salute to the representives who made there sound points. Nancy Pelosi knows that she is on the losing side of this issue; that’s why she would not allow the issue to come to the floor. There were enough votes from the Republicans and crossovers from the Dems who are getting the message from their constituency.

Vacation, my grandmother’s fanny! Members of Congress are using this time to gladhand with their supporters and build their coffers. Keeping those emails, phone calls, and attendance at congressional members’ at-home events will keep the issue at the forefront.

Informing the not-so-aware of Nancy Pelosi’s role in not addressing high energy (and thus high food) costs is a role all of us can take individually. Her game of blaming “the two Oil Men” in the White House must be exposed for the lie that it is.

onlineanalyst on August 2, 2008 at 7:18 PM

“their sound points”

onlineanalyst on August 2, 2008 at 7:19 PM

MrLynn on August 2, 2008 at 6:58 PM

Which is another part of the problem. The big question is how many of the Republicans, ala John McCain are using this as a campaign issue with no intention of following through on it.

After so many elections, it feels a bit like Abortion/Gay Marriage/Gun Control/Social Security. Issues we seem to hear a great deal about until November, then it just fades away during the odd number years, until all of a sudden it’s part of a grand plan of the opposition that only you can stop by donating every penny possible and voting. Drilling for our own oil is liable to end up being the next on that list of campaign year issues that both parties swear hangs in the balance of this election.

Snake307 on August 2, 2008 at 7:55 PM

The Republicans should set up a refugee “village” of tents across from the House offices this coming Monday morning, and continue the protest more noticably still.

The nation’s rage is ready to be drilled.

DRILL HERE. DRILL NOW.

Make the Dems PAY MORE.

This is the issue.

Fumble it not.

profitsbeard on August 2, 2008 at 8:17 PM

Is this a drinking thread yet?

wccawa on August 2, 2008 at 8:33 PM

I’m with you and with the others who said that the point was made.

This is not some college stunt although it was executed like one.

This will backfire on the republicans, who had the right idea, but again a total lack of leadership. The MSM will paint this as a childish prank. When you have the opponent down you apply more pressure not less. You sure as hell do not count on others to take over your fight, you want others to join. It is over. Opportunity lost.

Wade on August 2, 2008 at 8:45 PM

If it’s all so unimportant, why are these trolls bothering with it at all?

jeanie on August 2, 2008 at 7:03 PM

If the trolls show up in the comments and start getting especially shrill, I take it as a strong sign that the subject is big problem for the librals.

forest on August 2, 2008 at 9:05 PM

What they should do is pretty simple, gather a few score republican legislators and march from the Capitol to the White House, under the glare of a host of media cameras, and demand the president call the Do Nothing Democrat Congress (DDNC) back into session.

JIMV on August 2, 2008 at 9:07 PM

Here is an effective ad start: http://www.nrcc.org/nrcctv/default.asp?nrcctv_id=43&ID=8#movie

onlineanalyst on August 2, 2008 at 9:09 PM

If it gets down to $3, the Democrats win without firing a shot.

MrLynn on August 2, 2008 at 6:58 PM

And they are constantly praying at the altar of Gaia for just that!

OldEnglish on August 2, 2008 at 9:14 PM

Terrye on August 2, 2008 at 3:26 PM

But, being a dem, she would get coverage and that would keep the effort alive for another news cycle. Our folk need to continue with every activity and stunt they can think of until the vacation is over. Not a day should go by without someone reminding the public that the dems went on vacation while the country suffered under energy shortages.

JIMV on August 2, 2008 at 9:15 PM

Is this a drinking thread yet?

wccawa on August 2, 2008 at 8:33 PM

Starting now, I’m in.

Spirit of 1776 on August 2, 2008 at 9:37 PM

Start now,I’m in.

Spirit of 1776 on Aug 2,2008 at 9:37PM.

Spirit of 1776: Does a fine cup of Canadian tea,
only available in Canada,such a
bloody pity,eh! Count?

And,AllahPundit,Cpt. Ed,me thinks an
open thread would please the crew,
until the next port of call at your
discretion! haha. :):):).

canopfor on August 2, 2008 at 9:49 PM

Spirit of 1776: Does a fine cup of Canadian tea, only available in Canada,such a bloody pity,eh! Count?

Absolutely. But be advised, I’ve been known to say anything to amuse my Canadian friends: )

Spirit of 1776 on August 2, 2008 at 9:51 PM

Absoluetly.But be advised,

Spirit of 1776 on Aug 2,2008 at 9:51PM.

Spirit of 1776:Maybe your Canadian friends had it coming!
Haha! :)

canopfor on August 2, 2008 at 10:48 PM

Cabernet is in the house.

RushBaby on August 2, 2008 at 10:58 PM

RushBaby you their!

canopfor on August 2, 2008 at 10:59 PM

Yeah but got sidetracked with some front-porch yakking.

RushBaby on August 2, 2008 at 11:21 PM

Yeah but,
RushBaby on Aug 2,2008 at 11:21PM.

RushBaby: Scoot over to the thread,on the right,
Obama’s oil flip-flop,Aug 2,2008 at 12:00AM.

I’ve got two links up,ABC NEWS blog,Political
Punch,used two of my posts,I almost freaked!haha:)

canopfor on August 2, 2008 at 11:54 PM

Grown men and woman throwing a sleepover isn’t much of a tale.

alphie on August 2, 2008 at 3:21 PM

*Phweeeeeeeetttt!!* Godwin violation- 15 yards, loss of credibility!

BillH on August 3, 2008 at 1:35 AM

onlineanalyst on August 2, 2008 at 7:18 PM

…….. BOOM, Shaka-Laka!

Wade on August 2, 2008 at 8:45 PM

College “stunt” or not, the word is out, people are pissed, and those in the know are talking about it…… just like you.

Seven Percent Solution on August 3, 2008 at 2:11 AM

I am glad the rubes have such little power left, though.

alphie on August 2, 2008 at 6:28 PM

Alphie, I am not one to feed “those living under the bridge”, but I would suggest that if things don’t go your way……… you might want to stick around and read a little of what actually is going on?

……………. just a suggestion.

Seven Percent Solution on August 3, 2008 at 2:16 AM

I am glad the rubes have such little power left, though.

alphie on August 2, 2008 at 6:28 PM

How did the dem’s get you to convert to their socialist view point?

Johan Klaus on August 3, 2008 at 10:09 AM

How did the dem’s get you to convert to their socialist view point?
Johan Klaus on August 3, 2008 at 10:09 AM

Now that’s a question that should be asked more often.

wise_man on August 3, 2008 at 10:51 AM

The oil is owned by the government, Johan.

The oil companies and their shills want the government to hand over the oil to the oil companies.

That is a socialist plan.

I think we should save what oil we have for our children.

Mine is a capitalist plan.

Get your terms straight…

alphie on August 3, 2008 at 12:27 PM

Alphie: The oil is owned by no one.

Gold in the bottom of a stream is owned by no one.

Sunlight that has not hit the ground is owned by no one.

Resources belong to whoever homesteads their use first. Anything else is just legalized theft.

Kristopher on August 3, 2008 at 12:38 PM

I have a plan for getting the Senate’s attention:

Repeal the Seventeenth Amendment.

Kristopher on August 3, 2008 at 12:39 PM

You sure have an interesting view of property rights, Kris.

alphie on August 3, 2008 at 12:55 PM

Get your terms straight…

alphie on August 3, 2008 at 12:27 PM

When the government owns everything, that is communism.

Johan Klaus on August 3, 2008 at 12:56 PM

When I own my land and mineral rights, what is found on my land is mine and not the property of the government.

Johan Klaus on August 3, 2008 at 1:00 PM

“If at every one people are demanding to know when we’ll be able to join the Cubans and the Mexicans in drilling off our coast, and why we aren’t? You get the idea.” Yes I do, snake.
But, it’s not just the Mexicans and the Cubans, it’s the Chinese. Could it be that the Cubans are drilling FOR the Chi-coms? Well, it must be a joint effort.
I agree 100% on everything else you said so well. Grassfire is a good place to start to sign the petition to ‘drill here, drill now’. Flood our ‘representatives’ email addresses with the message, call and fax ‘em into delirium. (I know, they already are delirious.)

Christine on August 3, 2008 at 1:47 PM

Good News! I just got this through Twitter from Congressman Pete Hoekstra:

Floor protest will continue mon.I’m on bike tour.I’ll participate in dc later this month.This week I’ll tell people in Mi why its important 44 minutes ago from TwitterBerry

Floor protest to continue Monday?! Awesome!

Ordinary1 on August 3, 2008 at 2:34 PM