Video: Ser Que Se Olvid De Nosotros?

posted at 2:30 pm on August 1, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

John McCain takes another poke at Barack Obama’s “citizen of the world” speech in Berlin last week, not by criticizing what Obama said but what he failed to mention.  In running through a laundry list of cities and nations, Obama never once made mention of Latin America.  McCain drives the point home in Spanish, but I’ll give you a break and provide the translation:

CHYRON: The World According To Barack Obama

BARACK OBAMA: Tonight I speak to you not as a candidate for President, but as a citizen; a proud citizen of the United States and a fellow citizen of the world.

CHYRON: But Entire Nations Were Forgotten!

BARACK OBAMA: France, Berlin, Hamburg, Britain, Kandahar, London, Rwanda, Iran, Bangladesh…

CHYRON: Where Was Latin America Left?

BARACK OBAMA: Karachi, Beijing, the former Soviet Union, Pakistan, Paris, Bali, Russia, Chad, Zimbabwe…

CHYRON: And Latinos?

BARACK OBAMA: Afghanistan, Somalia, Darfur, Belfast, South Africa, Madrid, Europe, Burma, Amman…

CHYRON: Maybe He Forget About Us?

McCain wants to drive home a point with Latinos about Obama’s lack of commitment to their community, but it might be a little too subtle here. McCain hasn’t yet shown any real growth from the levels of support given George Bush in 2004, and McCain expects to do better. Obama has attacked his commitment to immigration reform (as well as cast ICE agents as terrorists), but McCain wants to show that Obama only considers them as an afterthought.

The lack of mention of Latin America in a speech chock-full of references of just about everywhere else on the planet does seem a little strange. Most of these refer to hot spots, but certainly not all, unless a political crisis suddenly engulfed Paris, Berlin, and London. For that matter, where was Australia? Japan? And as a hot spot, Pyongyang is about as hot as it gets, and yet Obama failed to mention that, either.

It’s hard, being a citizen of the world, especially when pandering to large swaths of it. He may have needed a longer speech.

Comments

forget about that ad
talk abotu this ad:

Vincenzo on August 1, 2008 at 2:32 PM

There is this on drudge…

‘PRAISE THE ONE’: New McCain Ad Attacks the ‘Divine Obama’…

Hey “official campaign”, lay off of it you’re going to kill the meme.

ninjapirate on August 1, 2008 at 2:33 PM

… uh …

(/speechless)

progressoverpeace on August 1, 2008 at 2:35 PM

Barack,

No lo tengo tiempo para ti

“I ain’t got no time for you”

originalpechanga on August 1, 2008 at 2:36 PM

Vincenzo

Indeed, that’s a great ad. I love how the Obama seal fades into the presidential seal at the end. Not sure it will convince anyone to change their vote though.

kc8ukw on August 1, 2008 at 2:36 PM

kc8ukw on August 1, 2008 at 2:36 PM

who cares if they don’t switch their vote. mccain is now officially the coolest presidential candidate ever. he’s actually just making fun of the other candidate in official ads.

come on, this is great!

Vincenzo on August 1, 2008 at 2:37 PM

Obama never once made mention of Latin America. McCain drives the point home in Spanish

Was Juan Hernandez his Spanish tutor?

MB4 on August 1, 2008 at 2:37 PM

This laundry list sounds like the incoherent ramblings of a drunk geographer. France…and then Paris? Madrid…then Europe? The former Soviet Union?

The omissions certainly seem strange. What about Havana? Caracas? La Paz? Managua?

MB007 on August 1, 2008 at 2:38 PM

Obama, don’t forget who’s picking your arugula…

SPCOlympics on August 1, 2008 at 2:39 PM

It would have been better to have BHO calling out countries juxtaposed against Howard Dean listing states. Now that would have been funny, and a very accurate analogy, too.

progressoverpeace on August 1, 2008 at 2:41 PM

Vincenzo

It is great! Maybe the cool vote will put us over the top. :)

kc8ukw on August 1, 2008 at 2:41 PM

‘PRAISE THE ONE’: New McCain Ad Attacks the ‘Divine Obama’…

That is so awesome. But I doubt it’s really McCain. He doesn’t say anything there. If its official, I think he has to.

lorien1973 on August 1, 2008 at 2:42 PM

One of the ways the MSM brought George H.W. Bush down was by emphasizing his continual references to a “new world order” at the expense of domestic issues.

whitetop on August 1, 2008 at 2:42 PM

lorien1973 on August 1, 2008 at 2:42 PM

Maybe he was laughing so hard he couldn’t say, “I’m John McCain and I approve this message”?

Wethal on August 1, 2008 at 2:46 PM

Yeah, Obama, why didn’t you mention OJINAGA, Mexico……..?

Seven Percent Solution on August 1, 2008 at 2:47 PM

Where is the nation of Belfast located? Is that on the same continent as Trenton and Naples?

I don’t want a citizen of the world running my country.

Hening on August 1, 2008 at 2:48 PM

MB007 on August 1, 2008 at 2:38 PM

Yes, it does. It should be enough to make teachers all across the country shudder.

funky chicken on August 1, 2008 at 2:48 PM

‘PRAISE THE ONE’: New McCain Ad Attacks the ‘Divine Obama’…

lorien1973 on August 1, 2008 at 2:42 PM

It was pretty good – and then came the Moses clip. I was laughing out loud after that. Good ad.

forest on August 1, 2008 at 2:50 PM

He forgot Poland.

BohicaTwentyTwo on August 1, 2008 at 2:52 PM

He could have stopped rambling and just said Pangea.

SPCOlympics on August 1, 2008 at 2:52 PM

“I’ve blessed everywhere, man, I’ve blessed everywhere”.

Patrick S on August 1, 2008 at 2:53 PM

I don’t want a citizen of the world running my country.

Hening on August 1, 2008 at 2:48 PM

You know Hening, I might consider a literate and sober “citizen of the world.” Just reading that intro, I have to wonder if Obama qualifies as either. If somebody handed that mess to me, and said it would be the beginning of a speech I was to deliver to the public, I’d throw it in the trash. And I’m a housewife …

funky chicken on August 1, 2008 at 2:55 PM

I do have to say that the Spanish language ad is a stupid idea. I think you are supposed to be a citizen to vote, and to become a citizen, don’t you have to learn English?

funky chicken on August 1, 2008 at 2:57 PM

If Obama had ever watched “Where in the World is Carmen San Diego,” he’d have done a lot better job with the world geography.

But then, he thinks the US has 57 states.

Wethal on August 1, 2008 at 2:58 PM

The greatest thing that that McCain has going for him is that it is just not Obama that thinks he is smarter than anyone else, it is his entire campaign staff.

My daddy told me, “The easiest people on the face of the planet to fool is those that think they are smart.”

jukin on August 1, 2008 at 2:59 PM

Very cool. NO problem that it’s in Spanish – sell the goods with a tamale, garlic clove, beer stein, whatever. Just GET RID OF HERNANDEZ por favor.

The linked HESTON video is BRILLIANT!!!

Lockstein13 on August 1, 2008 at 3:04 PM

How do you say “Guess we can’t” in Spanish?

NellE on August 1, 2008 at 3:04 PM

funky chicken on August 1, 2008 at 2:48 PM

Or, at least, teachers at an exclusive private school in Hawaii…

MB007 on August 1, 2008 at 3:09 PM

McCain’s approval at the end seemed to have a little smirk in it .. that’s a good touch!

Texas Gal on August 1, 2008 at 3:13 PM

lorien1973 on August 1, 2008 at 2:42 PM

Yep, you’re right unless it was edited out in that clip. If it’s not approved by him someone stuck the ‘paid for’ at the end and that’s just wrong!

Texas Gal on August 1, 2008 at 3:17 PM

France, Berlin, Hamburg, Britain, Kandahar, London, Rwanda, Iran, Bangladesh…

*Dean Scream*

Tanya on August 1, 2008 at 3:17 PM

Obama, don’t forget who’s picking your arugula…

SPCOlympics on August 1, 2008 at 2:39 PM

Haha, that’s great SPC!

Aylios on August 1, 2008 at 3:22 PM

and to become a citizen, don’t you have to learn English?

funky chicken on August 1, 2008 at 2:57 PM

Al parecer, no mas.

MB4 on August 1, 2008 at 3:24 PM

lorien1973 on August 1, 2008 at 2:42 PM

Texas Gal on August 1, 2008 at 3:17 PM

Looks like it’s made to run on the internet and might not need the McCain approval at the end.

Texas Gal on August 1, 2008 at 3:37 PM

*Dean Scream*

Tanya on August 1, 2008 at 3:17 PM

Dang it dang it dang it, you beat me to it!

RushBaby on August 1, 2008 at 3:38 PM

Obligatory: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDtdQ8bTvRc

apollyonbob on August 1, 2008 at 3:42 PM

alt + 160 = á & alt + 162 = ó (as in: Será Que se Olvidó de Nosotros)

antoniojvr on August 1, 2008 at 3:53 PM

All that name-dropping was so pointless and gassy, to begin with; it’s satisfying to see Obama’s speech get shoved back down his throat.

Kralizec on August 1, 2008 at 3:55 PM

jukin on August 1, 2008 at 2:59 PM

Agreed. If this race was Obama’s and Co. to lose, they’re doing an excellent job.

And Obama has to bring race into this, because it has been his sole qualification. It’s his “time.” It’s his “moment.” It’s his “turn.”

silverfox on August 1, 2008 at 4:04 PM

The Obama campaign is really the epitome of affirmative action.

silverfox on August 1, 2008 at 4:09 PM

Obama es un Come Mierda

elduende on August 1, 2008 at 4:11 PM

Enough of these advertisements and the Obamites will think twice about using any overseas footage in their US advertising. Mind you, the oveseas trip was to pander to the foreigners donating to his campaign.

davod on August 1, 2008 at 4:47 PM

it’s satisfying to see Obama’s speech get shoved back down his throat.

Kralizec on August 1, 2008 at 3:55 PM

Ach Du, zat s/b Arsch :)

Entelechy on August 1, 2008 at 5:48 PM

How do you say “Guess we can’t” in Spanish?

NellE on August 1, 2008 at 3:04 PM