Blackout: Pelosi turns off the lights as GOP demands action on drilling; Update: Video added; Update: Protest ends — with “God Bless America”

posted at 2:00 pm on August 1, 2008 by Allahpundit

A transparent stunt but an awfully shrewd one. The cameras are off so we’re forced to rely on Politico for running updates. What a scene:

Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) and the Democrats adjourned the House and turned off the lights and killed the microphones, but Republicans are still on the floor talking gas prices.

Minority Leader John Boehner (R-Ohio) and other GOP leaders opposed the motion to adjourn the House, arguing that Pelosi’s refusal to schedule a vote allowing offshore drilling is hurting the American economy. They have refused to leave the floor after the adjournment motion passed at 11:23 a.m. and are busy bashing Pelosi and her fellow Democrats for leaving town for the August recess…

“This is the people’s House,” Rep, Thaddeus McCotter (R-Mich.) said. “This is not Pelosi’s politiburo.”

Democratic aides were furious at the GOP stunt, and reporters were kicked out of the Speaker’s Lobby, the space next to the House floor where they normally interview lawmakers.

“You’re not covering this, are you?” complaing one senior Democratic aide. Another called the Republicans “morons” for staying on the floor…

The scene on the floor is kind of crazy. Normally, members are not allowed to speak directly to the visitor galleries, or visitors are prohibited from cheering. But in this case, the members are walking up and down on the floor during their speeches, standing on cheers, the visitors are cheering loudly. Some members even brought in visitors, who are now sitting on the House floor in the seats normally filled by lawmakers, cheering and clapping. Very funny.

GOP whip Roy Blunt issued a statement asking all Republican House members who are still in town to come to the floor. Exit question: What are the odds that someone there will be smart enough to fetch a camcorder from one of the offices near the chamber and record this for YouTubing? Eric Cantor, the deputy whip, has shown some ‘Net savvy in the past. Chop chop.

Update: And no sooner do I write those words than I get a tip that Rep. John Culberson is taping — and Twittering! — outside the chamber. Stay tuned. Click the image to watch.

Update: The boss is pleased, especially with the use of new media to get the word out.

My main post on the House GOP revolt is here and I’ll keep updating it. But I’m breaking out a separate post on the Republicans’ very savvy use of Twitter to circumvent the Democrat blackout and overcome the absence of C-SPAN cameras– and their outreach to conservative blogs to spread the word.

This is the change we’ve been waiting for, Beltway GOP.

Finally!

Update: Pete Hokestra says Capitol Hill security is ready to shut down the party promptly at 4:30 lest the GOP reap any more goodwill from this than they already have. Meanwhile, Politico’s still updating fast and furiously. Money quote:

Rep. Tom Cole (Okla.), chairman of the National Republican Congressional Committee, said the dimly lit chamber is a “vision of the future by the Democrat Party: The lights are out, there’s no power, and the air conditioning is gonna go off soon.”

Update: It’s all over as of 5 p.m., carried off to the tune of “God Bless America.” NBC says even congressmen not known for oratory caught the fee-vah in the chamber. Says Mike Pence, “We will be here through the break.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 11 12 13

MadisonConservative on August 2, 2008 at 4:55 PM

I am who I am. My intent is to provoke thought, and refute distortions. If I am wrong, feel free to point out where.

——

Entelechy on August 2, 2008 at 4:37 PM

What an interesting web site. Thanks for the pointer.

rockhauler on August 2, 2008 at 5:30 PM

The Stages of Bankruptcy:

See it on TV
See it next door
Get it at store
Put it on credit card
See a bigger one on TV
See a bigger one next door
Get it at store
Put it on other credit card
Miss payments on first credit card
Miss payments on second credit card
Refinance house as ATM
Housing bubble bursts
Interest rate goes up on house
Can’t put extra payment on credit card
Bankruptcy

- Somebody or Other

MB4 on August 2, 2008 at 5:51 PM

What’s wrong is that you took a joke that did not direct anything towards Reagan, and threw a goddamn hissy fit over it because of what you perceive as gross inaccuracy about which president it was attributed to. You strike me as the kind of person who would respond to a knock knock joke with “Why isn’t he using the doorbell?”

In other words, lighten up.

MadisonConservative on August 2, 2008 at 6:00 PM

Ms Madison RE: too analytical.

You are correct. I will lighten up. Thanks for the feedback.
I would google a one-liner of self deprecating humor, but it would probably fail.

regards

rockhauler on August 2, 2008 at 6:12 PM

knock knock

MadisonConservative on August 2, 2008 at 6:00 PM

Fred Sanford: Who is it?
Nancy Pelosi: It’s Nancy!
Fred Sanford: Nancy who?
Nancy Pelosi: You know Nancy who! Open this door fool!
Fred Sanford: I can’t open the door!
Nancy Pelosi: Why not?
Fred Sanford: You too ugly!
Nancy Peolsi: But Fred, I need your help.
Fred Sanford: But, Nancy, I’m a junkman, not a plastic surgeon.

MB4 on August 2, 2008 at 6:13 PM

rockhauler on August 2, 2008 at 6:12 PM

You’ve got class. I always enjoy your comments.

RushBaby on August 2, 2008 at 6:29 PM

Ms Madison RE: too analytical.

You are correct. I will lighten up. Thanks for the feedback.

regards

rockhauler on August 2, 2008 at 6:12 PM

It’s all good.

Except I’m a Mr not a Ms.

And even if I was female I’d be a damn Miss or Mrs.

MadisonConservative on August 2, 2008 at 6:31 PM

You’ve got class. I always enjoy your comments.

RushBaby on August 2, 2008 at 6:29 PM

+100

You too Madison. The “Ms Madison” made me grin :)

You too RushBaby.

I often wonder if it’s not a psychological disorder to get attached to e-friends on HA. If it is, the cure is more HA :)

Entelechy on August 2, 2008 at 7:05 PM

MB4 on August 2, 2008 at 6:13 PM

That was hilarious. I wonder if she has even a mm left that could yet be stretched or cut out.

Entelechy on August 2, 2008 at 8:18 PM

Aw, don’t say that! Heh, but there is something almost addicting about commenting though, especially when you have built up a rapport that allows you to disagree agreeably. One of my favorite things about AP frankly, and is true too of the special commenters here.

Spirit of 1776 on August 2, 2008 at 8:32 PM

Seven Percent Solution on August 2, 2008 at 5:02 PM

In some experiments I was a tech on some twenty-five years ago we discovered as an aside that sulfur and iron under intense pressure produced a by product. Oil. No one made a big deal out of it because the experiments were about a weapons system and there was no time to pursue any extemporaneous findings outside of footnoting them.
Dr. Jerome Corsi who authored “Unfit for Command” wrote a book in 2005 titled “Black Gold Stranglehold” which takes up the politics and the science of oil.
The earth is like a great milk cow whose product is oil. If we use every form of energy available wisely, the oil will sustain us for thousands of years. Find it, pump it, let it rest, return and pump again.

Beto Ochoa on August 2, 2008 at 8:37 PM

rockhauler on August 2, 2008 at 5:30 PM

And an outstanding intent to have. It’s much needed. Quite frequently, actually.

wise_man on August 2, 2008 at 9:50 PM

Darvin Dowdy on August 2, 2007 5:22 PM

Sorry, Redskin’s fan had to watch Hall of Fame Inductions. I would love to hear your theories about 527′s of the Right. I thought it was maybe because the Swiftboat guys took so much heat that people are reluctant to lend their name to any aggressive ads. Good grief, they are a verb now. “You’ve been swiftboated.” The GOP from Tennessee did an ad on Mrs. Obama, which merely made use of clips of her speeches and you would have thought the world was coming to an end. I would love to see some conservative come up with some great ads, if you just read the conservative blogs you know they are a lot funnier. I promise you I have never felt the urge to laugh at George Soros and “Vote or Die” was a slogan I just couldn’t warm up to.

Cindy Munford on August 2, 2008 at 10:36 PM

Beto Ochoa on August 2, 2008 at 8:37 PM

Whoa. Dude.

S + Fe + pressure –> Hs & Cs??

How much pressure are we talking about?

RD on August 2, 2008 at 11:06 PM

Bummer, I was just having the best time over on the ABC blog about the light sabers but they are now holding my posts to be reviewed. And it was one where I finally said something positive about Senator Obama. Go figure.

Cindy Munford on August 2, 2008 at 11:46 PM

There was oil in the nodular structure of the cast iron when the valves failed. I don’t think any of the other reagents in the experiment had anything to do with that oddity. This type of cast iron has other stuff besides Fe like Mg, Si and some other trade secret elements that allow it to work at high temps.
Lots. Of. Pressure.
Can’t say more than that.

Beto Ochoa on August 3, 2008 at 12:00 AM

So how do you access the video? All I get is the one of the congressman talking in the hallway, nothing in the chamber.

PattyJ on August 3, 2008 at 11:02 AM

Good News! I just got this through Twitter from Congressman Pete Hoekstra:

Floor protest will continue mon.I’m on bike tour.I’ll participate in dc later this month.This week I’ll tell people in Mi why its important 44 minutes ago from TwitterBerry

Floor protest to continue Monday?! Awesome!

Ordinary1 on August 3, 2008 at 2:35 PM

It ain’t over ’til it’s over.

Ordinary1 on August 3, 2008 at 2:39 PM

Check it out!

Ordinary1 on August 3, 2008 at 4:13 PM

Better Headline: Country turned off by Pelosi. Republicans can’t pipe up.

Dr. Charles G. Waugh on August 4, 2008 at 2:09 AM