Again: Obama’s chief strategist accuses McCain of “injecting race into the election”; Update: Yes, Axelrod admits, Obama was referring to race

posted at 12:45 pm on August 1, 2008 by Allahpundit

A perfect complement to the last post. For good measure, he re-shovels the unadulterated crap shoveled yesterday by Obama spokesman Robert Gibbs about how a line previously delivered by Obama in the explicit context of race magically became non-racial two days ago when he was slightly less explicit. What you’re seeing here is a campaign so desperately worried about their guy having exposed his scummier race-baiting tendencies that they’re willing to lie as shamelessly as they need to in order to try to defuse it. And it’s capped, of course, by the rapidly coalescing talking point that McCain’s the one who introduced race by daring to defend himself. I should have noted that as another new Orwellian rule in yesterday’s post on the NYT editorial. New rule: If you’re insolent enough to try to rebut a bad-faith charge of racism from the left, you’re guilty of bad faith. These are the parameters, please note, of the Great National Conversation on Race that our savior wants us to have.

Update: Speaking of the Times editorial, hot off the presses from Team McCain:

If the shareholders of the New York Times ever wonder why the paper’s ad revenue is plummeting and its share price tanking, they need look no further than the hysterical reaction of the paper’s editors to any slight, real or imagined, against their preferred candidate. This campaign has never engaged in ‘racially tinged attacks,’ and the Obama campaign conceded as much yesterday in a statement clarifying that “Barack Obama in no way believes that the McCain campaign is using race as an issue.”

That the Times made this allegation in a blog post rather than running it on the editorial page indicates that they either knew the charge was bogus or they didn’t have the nerve to make their case in full view of the public. But in their new role as bloggers, the paper’s editors seem to have all the intelligence and reason of the average Daily Kos diarist sitting at home in his mother’s basement and ranting into the ether between games of dungeons and dragons. They also have about as much care for the facts–the “board” has already been forced to append a correction.

Update: More nuance from Axelrod. Sure, he says, Obama obviously was alluding to his race in what he said. And yet … it’s McCain’s fault for injecting it?

Sen. Barack Obama’s chief strategist conceded that the Democratic presidential candidate was referring to his race when he said Republicans were trying to scare voters by suggesting Obama “doesn’t look like all those other presidents on the dollar bills.”…

Comments

We can’t let these people get the White House. What a disgrace.

dalec on August 1, 2008 at 12:47 PM

Are you sure you didn’t do an “Ace” and rewrite the last paragraph there for humor effect?

Clark1 on August 1, 2008 at 12:51 PM

Wow.

Again, when they want to see whom is injecting race into this campaign…….get a freakin’ mirror!

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on August 1, 2008 at 12:52 PM

All of this Obama-fuscation reminds me of a Joseph Goebbels quote:

If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it. The lie can be maintained only for such time as the State can shield the people from the political, economic and/or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally important for the State to use all of its powers to repress dissent, for the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the truth is the greatest enemy of the State.

MB007 on August 1, 2008 at 12:54 PM

OOoooohhhhh, Allah!

scummier race-baiting tendencies

You just gave my leg a thrill

tree hugging sister on August 1, 2008 at 12:54 PM

Whoa! That Team McCain response is one of the best smackdowns I’ve ever seen from an official campaign.

BadgerHawk on August 1, 2008 at 12:54 PM

Tell a lie long enough…

Skywise on August 1, 2008 at 12:54 PM

Epic… wow… it has been 5 minutes since I read that and I am still stunned.

Smiles on August 1, 2008 at 12:56 PM

Next comment from the Holy One,

I’m sorry John McCain, my respected colleague in the Senate, is such a bigot.

I josh now, but I bet Axelrod pulls that one out of Chris Matthews’ leg.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on August 1, 2008 at 12:57 PM

YOU’RE A BALD FACED LIAR AXELROD…
IT AIN’T GONNA WORK THIS TIME.

“They’re going to try to make you afraid of me. He’s young and inexperienced and he’s got a funny name. And did I mention he’s black?” — Barack Obama

“What they’re going to try to do is make you scared of me, you know, he’s not patriotic enough, he’s got a funny name, you know, he doesn’t look like all those other presidents on the dollar bills.” –Barack Obama

byteshredder on August 1, 2008 at 12:57 PM

Oh, the sweet taste of revenge…

I received mail from BOTH the RNC and the McCain campagin today wanting me to donate.

On the RNC card, I wrote: “Wake me when you nominate a conservative” and taped a penny.

For Juan, I wrote: “No Amnesty,” and taped a dime.

I’m feeling REEEEEALLLY good right now.

Now that I think about it, I should have taped the envelope to a box full of bricks.

wccawa on August 1, 2008 at 12:58 PM

Then Gibbs, your campaign filled and handed McCain the syringe.

MadisonConservative on August 1, 2008 at 12:59 PM

Only lib bloggers have basements?

NYT 2nd Q. revenues down 82% from last year–those results are boosted by a one-time gain.

Obama can only win the race issue by not using race. He doesn’t win by making people recognize the kind of racial blackmailing they’ve seen before. It’s a real tactical error, but as someone said before, a tiresome but typical knee-jerk reaction.

JiangxiDad on August 1, 2008 at 1:00 PM

Of course McCain’s a racist, he even went to a foreign country and bought a “black” slave.

ninjapirate on August 1, 2008 at 1:01 PM

Everyone here should become familiar with Axelrod, and especially the McCain campaign. This particular brand of campaign strategy in anti-democratic, subversive and totally corrupt.

We might have some marginal guys on our side, but nothing like this.

eaglesdontflock on August 1, 2008 at 1:01 PM

AXELROD: IT AIN’T GONNA WORK THIS TIME.

JiangxiDad on August 1, 2008 at 1:02 PM

Why does Obama’s chief strategist look like Hitler’s brother?

And I laughed when I read McCain campaign’s response to the opEd. It’s funny ’cause it’s probably true.

mjk on August 1, 2008 at 1:02 PM

Obama’s campaign has worse message discipline than McCain’s.

And that is saying A LOT.

EJDolbow on August 1, 2008 at 1:04 PM

“Special Comment” tonight from you know who?
I’m thinking “internal polling” for the past couple days has Obama staff panicked and Bubba Clinton grinning, and Olberdouche furiously typing.

Marcus on August 1, 2008 at 1:04 PM

Uh oh…

McCain’s camp just threw the Dungeons and Dragons camp under the … dragon?

Lightning bolt… Lightning bolt… Lightning bolt…

Romeo13 on August 1, 2008 at 1:06 PM

Ah, David “Davey-Boy” Axelrod. Chicagoland’s Favorite Democratic Kingmaker.

Let me save everyone the trouble of trying to understand Davey-Boy here and let me just say that every single solitary thing that flies out of Davey-Boy’s mouth should ALWAYS be looked on with a jaundiced eye.

A good part of the reason why Illinois is in such a quagmire right now is because of some of the people Davey-Boy here managed to get placed in power, like the current knucklehead shill we have for a Governor.

So if you want to see what Davey-Boy can do for the rest of the country, take a good long hard look at what he has done for Illinois.

pilamaye on August 1, 2008 at 1:06 PM

Epic… wow… it has been 5 minutes since I read that and I am still stunned.

Smiles on August 1, 2008 at 12:56 PM

**Hands jaw back**

upinak on August 1, 2008 at 1:10 PM

Uh oh…

McCain’s camp just threw the Dungeons and Dragons camp under the … dragon?

Lightning bolt… Lightning bolt… Lightning bolt…

Romeo13 on August 1, 2008 at 1:06 PM

???

Sekhmet on August 1, 2008 at 1:11 PM

hey now I atest to this!

I actually have a basement, where I was going to put my computer. Crap, I need to get wireless now.

upinak on August 1, 2008 at 1:12 PM

???

Sekhmet on August 1, 2008 at 1:11 PM

If you never played D&D you will never understand.

upinak on August 1, 2008 at 1:12 PM

that’s right dummy, keep reminding everyone about that big race chip on your guy’s shoulder.

james23 on August 1, 2008 at 1:13 PM

We can’t have basements in most of Texas cities–water table’s too high

Sekhmet on August 1, 2008 at 1:13 PM

…hot off the presses from Team McCain:

Well done, Team McCain. If McCain cowers to the race bullies, he’s toast.

petefrt on August 1, 2008 at 1:14 PM

Basements are so blue-state.

JiangxiDad on August 1, 2008 at 1:16 PM

Basements are so blue-state.

JiangxiDad on August 1, 2008 at 1:16 PM

Hey be nice! Better then doing my laundry in the detached garage.

We can’t have basements in most of Texas cities–water table’s too high

Sekhmet on August 1, 2008 at 1:13 PM

True and in some areas, you could dig and almost hit oil too. :)

upinak on August 1, 2008 at 1:17 PM

upinak on August 1, 2008 at 1:12 PM

I play D and D. I just hadn’t caught the response from the McCain camp yet. And unless you are LARPing, casting a lightning bolt goes somewhat like this.

“Bob, hand me my d20, will ya? No, not the purple one. The red one. The other red one. No you can’t keep it. Anyway *rattle* I hit”
*rattling behind DM screen* “He makes his save.
“Crap!”

Sekhmet on August 1, 2008 at 1:17 PM

Sekhmet on August 1, 2008 at 1:17 PM

LMFAO.. ok. I think different people do it different. I haven’t played in like 17 yrs.

I admit it, I am a nerd!

upinak on August 1, 2008 at 1:19 PM

upinak on August 1, 2008 at 1:19 PM

Say it once, say it loud, I’m a nerd and I’m proud!

Sekhmet on August 1, 2008 at 1:20 PM

james23 on August 1, 2008 at 1:13 PM

Maybe Obama should call in if it doesn’t fit, you must acquit Johnny Cochran.

JiangxiDad on August 1, 2008 at 1:20 PM

SOUNDS LIKE A AXELROD DEATH RATTLE

byteshredder on August 1, 2008 at 1:22 PM

james23 on August 1, 2008 at 1:13 PM

Exactly. They must be really desperate. Their internal numbers must be catastrophic.

TheBigOldDog on August 1, 2008 at 1:23 PM

Didn’t Axelrod just play the “some of my best friends are white card” for Obama?

“Look Matt, he said this in Missouri …. most of the people in attendance were white.”

See-through empty suit.

fogw on August 1, 2008 at 1:24 PM

Hey! Conservatives play D&D too. :P

irishspy on August 1, 2008 at 1:25 PM

I pronounce McCain innoculated against charges of racism.

Any new charges will be met with gales of laughter and they know it.

Lonetown on August 1, 2008 at 1:25 PM

The New Republic

Race Man
by Sean Wilentz
How Barack Obama played the race card and blamed Hillary Clinton.
Post Date Wednesday, February 27, 2008

the Obama campaign’s most effective gambits have been far more egregious and dangerous than the hypocritical deployment of deceptive and disingenuous attack ads. To a large degree, the campaign’s strategists turned the primary and caucus race to their advantage when they deliberately, falsely, and successfully portrayed Clinton and her campaign as unscrupulous race-baiters–a campaign-within-the-campaign in which the worked-up flap over the Somali costume photograph is but the latest episode. While promoting Obama as a “post-racial” figure, his campaign has purposefully polluted the contest with a new strain of what historically has been the most toxic poison in American politics.

More than any other maneuver, this one has brought Clinton into disrepute with important portions of the Democratic Party. A review of what actually happened shows that the charges that the Clintons played the “race card” were not simply false; they were deliberately manufactured by the Obama camp and trumpeted by a credulous and/or compliant press corps in order to strip away her once formidable majority among black voters and to outrage affluent, college-educated white liberals as well as college students. The Clinton campaign, in fact, has not racialized the campaign, and never had any reason to do so. Rather the Obama campaign and its supporters, well-prepared to play the “race-baiter card” before the primaries began, launched it with a vengeance when Obama ran into dire straits after his losses in New Hampshire and Nevada–and thereby created a campaign myth that has turned into an incontrovertible truth among political pundits, reporters, and various Obama supporters. This development is the latest sad commentary on the malign power of the press, hyping its own favorites and tearing down those it dislikes, to create pseudo-scandals of the sort that hounded Al Gore during the 2000 campaign. It is also a commentary on how race can make American politics go haywire. Above all, it is a commentary on the cutthroat, fraudulent politics that lie at the foundation of Obama’s supposedly uplifting campaign.

Yeah, this tactic is really gonna bring in all those disaffected Hillary supporters, right? Goodbye Pennsylvania, Ohio, Kentucky, and West Virginia.

funky chicken on August 1, 2008 at 1:25 PM

People who are smart enough to vote for McCain aren’t stupid enough to swallow that crap. Obama is the one stupid enough to inject race and his numbers are plummenting. Obama already has 90% of the black vote. The more Obama whines about race the more his numbers will fall. He’s doing McCain a favor.

orlandocajun on August 1, 2008 at 1:25 PM

funky chicken on August 1, 2008 at 1:25 PM

Exactly. How bad must thing be if they want to change the subject to race again?

TheBigOldDog on August 1, 2008 at 1:27 PM

Obama says Republicans will use race to stoke fear
Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:19pm EDT

They’ve been playing this card for over 6 months now. For some reason they don’t see that it has played out and is going to bite them in the ass.

That Axelrod guy is not an attractive spokesman either. All those years of creating and ingesting poison seem to have ruined his health.

funky chicken on August 1, 2008 at 1:28 PM

BO: Why did you bring up race?

JM: I didn’t.

BO: You did, I can prove it by pointing out that you are defending yourself against charges of racism.

JM: But I didn’t, I pointed out that *you* were using racism against *me*.

MEDIA (IN UNISON): sure you did, you’re a racist, just admit you are a racist, don’t bother defending yourself, don’t bother paying attention to what Barack says, we’ll take care of what he says, thanks.

benrand on August 1, 2008 at 1:30 PM

Jenny, I’d never hurt you. If it weren’t for this war and that lying SOB Johnson.

lorien1973 on August 1, 2008 at 1:31 PM

Lightning bolt… Lightning bolt… Lightning bolt…

Romeo13 on August 1, 2008 at 1:06 PM

Actually, I prefer “Fireball… Fireball… Fireball…” for the obvious collateral damage among certain groupie parasites! [cough] Hernandez [cough]

dominigan on August 1, 2008 at 1:31 PM

TheBigOldDog on August 1, 2008 at 1:27 PM

Really, really bad. I’m guessing he’s got only about 100-120 Electoral College votes locked up now. The crazy thing is that the race card isn’t going to increase that tally. Apparently it’s the only thing they’ve got right now though?

Again, Soros et al thought they had succeeded in turning us all into Germans … not quite yet fellas, not quite yet.

That’s hope I can believe in!

funky chicken on August 1, 2008 at 1:31 PM

I think Axelrod and Obama are finding out that they aren’t dealing with Democrat primary voters anymore. They won the primaries in part through passive-aggressive race-baiting. McCain’s campaign is mart to call it out.

Sekhmet on August 1, 2008 at 1:32 PM

TheBigOldDog on August 1, 2008 at 1:23 PM

Yeah, it’s like Obama thinks he’s stumbled on an old tape of the OJ trial, and thinks nobody else knows about it. He’s calling plays from a 40 year old playbook. Audacious.

JiangxiDad on August 1, 2008 at 1:34 PM

HEY AXELROD, CLEAR THIS MATTER UP?
When is FauxBama, or YOU, or his campaign going to come clean as regards his birth certificate. Is FauxBama Indonesian, Kenyan, or an American citizen? Because as of right now, your race baiter doesn’t meet Constitutional muster to run for president. The pathetic birth certificates posted on the “DailyKos,” and on “Fight the Smears,” are forgeries!

byteshredder on August 1, 2008 at 1:37 PM

YOU’RE A BALD FACED LIAR AXELROD…
IT AIN’T GONNA WORK THIS TIME.

byteshredder on August 1, 2008 at 12:57 PM

First they called everyone not in the Obama tank racists. Then they tried to cover up for it by calling those same people stupid for thinking that Obama’s obviously race-related comments had something to do with, y’know, race.

What will be next? [...trying to recall the kindergarten playground...] Will Axelrod go on the Today show and accuse McCain supporters of being ugly? Having stinky feet? Insufficiently potty-trained?

I can see the New York Times front-page headline now: NYT Investigative Reporting Confirms: Obama Opponents’ Underoos Reek of Poo (Women, Minorities Hardest Hit…)

Gilda on August 1, 2008 at 1:39 PM

They must be really desperate. Their internal numbers must be catastrophic.

TheBigOldDog on August 1, 2008 at 1:23 PM

Hillary’s sitting at home in front of her computer (which is not in the basement), with a big stogie in her mouth and her feet up on the desk, cackling and saying “I tried to tell those idiots . . . .”

AZCoyote on August 1, 2008 at 1:40 PM

Axelrod must be crapping his pants now that his race-based strategy has come back to bite him. Race baiting was the key to winning the Democratic nomination for Obama, and maybe it worked with Deval Patrick in the most liberal state in America, but it is not going to play in a national general election. He’s had Obama rehearse these lines for so long that he keeps pulling them out because he doesn’t have anything else to say, and he thinks: “wow, that line got such great applause in the Wisconsin primary, I should keep using it.”

Damn fine response from the McCain campaign. Nothing will get a rise out of McCain like impugning his honor, and calling him a racist is certainly that.

rockmom on August 1, 2008 at 1:41 PM

Axelrod is clearly mistaken.

Andrea Mitchell and the rest of the gang didn’t even catch the faintest whiff of race, so it didn’t happen.

misterpeasea on August 1, 2008 at 1:42 PM

Gilda on August 1, 2008 at 1:39 PM

Oh no, it’s even worse than that, they are accusing McCain of….gasp….negative campaigning. Like WTF is he supposed to do when the fracking media have already given the election to Obama?

rockmom on August 1, 2008 at 1:43 PM

Folks, it is not JUST Obama himself.

‘President’ Obama is going to import all his team to run the country!

Sir Napsalot on August 1, 2008 at 1:45 PM

Why does Obama’s chief strategist look like Hitler’s brother?

mjk on August 1, 2008 at 1:02 PM

He can’t help himself…yes, he can, get rid of that mustache…I had the exact same thought when I clicked on this thread.

His personality is that of a cucumber, without salt.

Entelechy on August 1, 2008 at 1:46 PM

Please, don’t associate us D&D playing geeks with the likes of the Daily Kos people.

I utterly fail to see any connection.

ynot4tony2 on August 1, 2008 at 1:47 PM

Bingo. But he’s a one-trick pony. Hillary succumbed because, as a Dem, she too hitched her star on identity politics. But Republicans are largely inoculated. Oh, Obama will win the areas with alot of blacks and no blacks, but not much else.

JiangxiDad on August 1, 2008 at 1:47 PM

It’s good to the the McCain camp slowly ramping up the red meat (comparing the NYT editorial board to Daily Kos diarists?!?–awesome). By Nov, I think we are going to see a very charged Republican party. The media pile-on right now inarguably helps McCain.

DaveS on August 1, 2008 at 1:50 PM

Why does Obama’s chief strategist look like Hitler’s brother?

mjk on August 1, 2008 at 1:02 PM

A cross between Hitler and Sgt. Schultz.

misterpeasea on August 1, 2008 at 1:52 PM

let me get this right your against shamnesty your a racist you question the obamamessiah your a racist , you think the problems int he black community are a direct tie to the 70% out of wedlock birth rate your a racist .

Well damn what do they expect I’m just one of them typical bitter white folks clinging to God and my

Mojack420 on August 1, 2008 at 1:55 PM

Not good enough…Barack needs to apologize

econavenger on August 1, 2008 at 1:55 PM

And what the hell, may I ask, is wrong with Dungeons and Dragons?

Immolate on August 1, 2008 at 1:55 PM

Republicans need to start going after David Axelrod and making him the “Karl Rove” of the Left. He’s played this race strategy in campaign after campaign and he needs to be called on it once and for all. He’s a dangerous agitprop artist and God help us if his tool Obama becomes President.

rockmom on August 1, 2008 at 1:56 PM

rockmom on August 1, 2008 at 1:41 PM

Do I notice a theme developing here? A chicken in every pot and poo-crusted undergarments for all!

You are absolutely correct that what worked in the Dem primaries will not be so easy to use in the general election. And the more they push this “all opposition to Obama is racist” line the more it will backfire. In their faces. Explosively. With gaseous emanations.

/I will now preemptively reprimand myself for not only having dealt it but smelt it. Repeatedly. Sorry.

Gilda on August 1, 2008 at 1:57 PM

byteshredder on August 1, 2008 at 1:37 PM

Bad strategy. Obama’s camp is probobly holding onto the birth certificate in the hopes that McCain will be dumb enough to try and make that a line of attack. Then Obama can get a few days of “Why is John McCain so mean?” out of the press.

BadgerHawk on August 1, 2008 at 1:58 PM

Yes. John McCain hates people who play Dungeons and Dragons. Keep that up and I’ll vote for Ron Paul AND kick a puppy.

Immolate on August 1, 2008 at 2:01 PM

c’mon the D & D thing is funny. Don’t become another whiny special interest.

They could have said WOW too, which I play, and it still would be funny.

funky chicken on August 1, 2008 at 2:02 PM

Hey Nobama, we know you’re half African-American, ok? Can we now move on to the issues…?

CliffHanger on August 1, 2008 at 2:06 PM

c’mon the D & D thing is funny. Don’t become another whiny special interest.

They could have said WOW too, which I play, and it still would be funny.

funky chicken on August 1, 2008 at 2:02 PM

No, D&D-Americans have been unfairly stereotyped and maligned for almost 30 years now.

I still remember the scurrilous fictions the media printed about crazed members of our community who killed each other acting out fantasies, or getting lost and dying in sewers.

This kind of off-hand discrimination against D&D-Americans must stop.

misterpeasea on August 1, 2008 at 2:08 PM

TheBigOldDog on August 1, 2008 at 1:27 PM

Axelrod is slimey, but I’m not so sure this was planned strategy as much as Obama just getting nasty. This guy’s a big-time narcissist, and the media stopped handling him with kid gloves after being treated like cattle on “the trip.”

It was the first real pushback he’s gotten in 4 years, and he can’t handle it. Ask anyone who’s dealt with full-blown NPD.

I wouldn’t be surprised if he took “a few days off” for rest (and medication).

Nichevo on August 1, 2008 at 2:12 PM

“When pressed to explain the comment, Axelrod told “GMA” it meant, “He’s not from central casting when it comes to candidates for president of the United States. He’s new to Washington. Yes, he’s African-American.” ”

Dennis Haysbert, call your office!

Leopold Stotch on August 1, 2008 at 2:20 PM

Hopefuly all this crap will annoy enough Americans to ruin the democrats november.

ThePrez on August 1, 2008 at 2:20 PM

BODY LANGUAGE ANALYSIS: Lauer jealous of comb-over.

whitetop on August 1, 2008 at 2:22 PM

*rattling behind DM screen* “He makes his save.
“Crap!”

Sekhmet on August 1, 2008 at 1:17 PM

Ah. You obviously haven’t switched over to 4.0. You should try it; it’s great. You roll against their defensive stats directly.

I own and operate a gaming store, by the way. I sell and play D&D. There is no way in the world I would vote for Obama. I don’t care how the McCain camp characterizes D&D; I’m still voting for him. LOL!

Theophile on August 1, 2008 at 2:31 PM

I used to work with a young black woman who was given a scholarship to Princeton and then got her graduate degree at Yale. All she could talk about was race. I seems that the sense of victimization is so ingrained that black people can’t help themselves.

NNtrancer on August 1, 2008 at 2:31 PM

Just when you think the left couldn’t get any lower… Man these people are infuriating.

They insist that he’s not talking about race… while admitting that he was referring to race? WTF?

Translation: What you’re seeing here is a Democrat.

RightWinged on August 1, 2008 at 2:58 PM

McCain can’t win. It’s like the opponent LBJ told his staff to spread rumors about – that he’d been “romantically involved” with a mare. When his aid told him no one would believe that, LBJ said, “I don’t care, I just want to see him denying it on TV.”

Akzed on August 1, 2008 at 3:30 PM

Everyone knows it is Obama Camp, accusing RNC of what they are doing themselves, they think this is a good strategy “Posture as a Victim” Really, this the way Obama wants to portray himself a “Victim” I pity Victims, I don’t vote them into the White House. I think both McCain and Obama, need new handlers and advisors. Most of this sniping is really dumb and transparent.

Ludacris destroyed, what the Black Eyed Peas started, remember “Yes We Can” Ludacris lowers the message, into the gutter. Does Obama really have Ludacris on his I pod, does he really think he is “Talented” So where did the postive message go? The bloom is off the rose.

Dr Evil on August 1, 2008 at 4:30 PM

The irony of it all is that Obama is actually setting back race relations in the country.

elduende on August 1, 2008 at 4:37 PM

How cowardly of obama to attempt to use his skin pigmentation to shield himself from criticism. COWARD! COBARDE!

elduende on August 1, 2008 at 4:42 PM

It is obvious to me that Mr. Obama cares a whole lot more about winning this election than he cares about the good of our country.

Is Mr. Obama’s strategy to inflame the black voters in hopes of drastically increasing turnout? Regardless of the consequences to race relations and to the already fractured political discourse in our country?

It seems so to this observer. Otherwise, what is the plan? He already has 90+ percent of the black vote locked up, so how else could this possibly help?

I guess possibly he was hoping the MSM would blindly follow his lead, and amplify this “McCain is racist” meme. Of course they still may, but it is looking less likely.

The best thing to come of this is that for the most part, nobody’s buying this sulfurous bile up to this point.

hillbillyjim on August 1, 2008 at 5:05 PM

OK FauxBama, you miserably failed, and lied to get your race baiting points across, fact is you’re not a floater, but instead a sinker.

Now, could you please quit the Jesse Jackson race card distractions, and lecture us all about: Raising our taxes, socialism, Marxism, redistribution of wealth, reparations, inflating our tires, clinging to guns, and religion, your new secret police force, your 10 year presidency, our tragic American history, just to name a few?

byteshredder on August 1, 2008 at 6:15 PM

Obama = Mugabe

elduende on August 1, 2008 at 6:52 PM

Obama injects his race into almost every speech he gives. He has a long history of doing this. He often does it in self defecating ways as if a spoon full of sugar will help the medicine go down. For example, he once said during a primary debate: “Let’s face it, my presence on this stage is pretty unlikely,” Clearly referring to the fact that he was the only black candidate and implying that black candidates are unlikely to be running for office because America is a racist nation, but just enough nuance for him to deny it if questioned later.

Dollayo on August 2, 2008 at 10:37 AM

YOU’RE A BALD FACED LIAR AXELROD…
IT AIN’T GONNA WORK THIS TIME.

byteshredder on August 1, 2008 at 12:57 PM