Video: The obligatory “Quake strikes ‘Judge Judy’” clip

posted at 10:30 am on July 31, 2008 by Allahpundit

And “Judge Jenny” too, whoever that is. Not enough in itself to convince me that God exists and that he righteously despises horrible daytime television, but if “Maury” gets hit by a tsunami, all bets are off.

Update: No terrible TV show is safe!

Comments

I love how that one guy at the podium just stands there.

carbon_footprint on July 31, 2008 at 10:34 AM

they took that better then i would have, i would be shrieking and running around like a little girl lol

trailortrash on July 31, 2008 at 10:34 AM

The “unknown” Judge failed to advise her audience to get down before ducking under her desk–lack of leadership and lack of respect and lack of sense of public responsibility–all about her and only her. Yuck.

maverick muse on July 31, 2008 at 10:34 AM

A hurricane hitting the view when Elisabeth has the day off?

carbon_footprint on July 31, 2008 at 10:36 AM

Ugh. One of the last places I would want to be in an earthquake would be a studio with all the light riggings on the ceiling.

MadisonConservative on July 31, 2008 at 10:37 AM

What are you supposed to do if there’s an earthquake? Judge Judy ran, and Judge Jenny ducked under the bench. I always heard you should try to get outside or, failing that, get into a doorway or something that’s reinforced.

I guess my point is, how are their reactions inappropriate?

Outlander on July 31, 2008 at 10:37 AM

Those are come good litigants, they just sit and wait, guess they figured if they ran Judge Judy would put a whoopin down on them.

Rbastid on July 31, 2008 at 10:39 AM

You know, it’s down right laughable the number of idiots we have wandering around America.

People who live 15 feet below sea level smack dab in the middle of hurricane alley, don’t know what to do when a hurricane hits.

People who live on one of the most active fault lines in the world, percolating with one earthquake after another, don’t know what to do when an earthquake hits.

Evidence of why Obama has a good chance of winning.

fogw on July 31, 2008 at 10:42 AM

It’s actually “Family Court with Judge Penny”.

amerpundit on July 31, 2008 at 10:42 AM

No way. You get under a table or in a doorway. Lots more things to hit you outdoors. Getting under the desk was exactly right in that situation (I assumed that was what Judge Judy did too).

Tanya on July 31, 2008 at 10:42 AM

That guy just standing there with that stupid look on his face, he’s gotta be from out of state.

Tony737 on July 31, 2008 at 10:47 AM

MadisonConservative on July 31, 2008 at 10:37 AM

They are required to have safety chains. So if the primary mount breaks/comes loose, the chain keeps the light from falling.

db on July 31, 2008 at 10:50 AM

maverick

Actually neither judge said anything to the audience. However in the one you are referring to you can clearly hear someone telling everyone to stay calm and get under the desks. It was probably the director. So in that one the judge had a reason to not say anything unless she wanted to create confusion by yelling out what to do over that guy.

Benaiah on July 31, 2008 at 10:51 AM

I think that guy was waiting to be told he was on “Scare Tactics” or something.

pilamaye on July 31, 2008 at 10:51 AM

You want to find a spot where things are less likely to fall on you. Big lights above you swinging around above your head? MOVE! In the middle of a room with nothing around you? You’ll probably be okay unless it’s a really big one.

MamaAJ on July 31, 2008 at 10:52 AM

Outlander on July 31, 2008 at 10:37 AM

Actually, at the 15 second mark in the Judge Judy clip, it looks like she is under her desk.

stlpct on July 31, 2008 at 10:53 AM

maverick muse on July 31, 2008 at 10:34 AM

Listen again, she tell everyone to try to get under a desk, it’s muted as she is diving for cover.
There can’t be anywhere worse then a moving studio, don’t know much about them, but I can imagine nothing is tied down, everything is temporary, huge lights, lights above you.
San Fernando (1971) in a warehouse was the worst…complete destruction of everything in a 400,000 sq. ft. warehouse…everything, twenty foot racks twisted, $3 million of inventory gone in abut 45 seconds…unbelievable. 200 men running for the lives, fork lifts barreling though falling product. Live through that, and you get a little nervous with every shaker.

right2bright on July 31, 2008 at 10:53 AM

maverick muse on July 31, 2008 at 10:34 AM

Yeah, but Judy looks like she just went exit, stage left in a hurry.

As a native East-Coaster, I can’t even imagine the smallest earthquake. Sorry, but moving Earth is something I never want to feel.

JetBoy on July 31, 2008 at 10:54 AM

The proper thing to do in a major earthquake is this:
Get under a table
Place your hands around the back of the neck
Pull you knees up under you
Make as small of target as possible
Put your head down between your knees
Kiss your ass goodbye…

right2bright on July 31, 2008 at 10:57 AM

Tony737 on July 31, 2008 at 10:47 AM

I do believe I heard he was from out of state. I am too, but I know to get under a desk.

becki51758 on July 31, 2008 at 10:57 AM

db on July 31, 2008 at 10:50 AM

Fat lot of good that did in Phantom of the Opera!

Shy Guy on July 31, 2008 at 10:58 AM

JetBoy on July 31, 2008 at 10:54 AM

Every house I had on the West Coast had a chandelier, if we thought there was an earthquake we would look at the light and see if it was swinging like a pendulum.
Sometimes it’s the aftershock that gets you, not the initial. And some are rolling, and some earthquakes are very abrupt.
But all in all, never had any personal damage from a quake.

right2bright on July 31, 2008 at 11:04 AM

Well that was anticlimactic. Especially the Judge Jenny one. I was expecting pandemonium, but it seemed pretty sedate, which is a good thing.

I think that Judge Judy ran into the deliberations room to the side of the bench, because there’s a desk in there. There is probably sound equipment or electrical paraphernalia underneath her studio bench.

MB007 on July 31, 2008 at 11:06 AM

A hurricane hitting the view when Elisabeth has the day off?

carbon_footprint on July 31, 2008 at 10:36 AM

Yep…I question the timing…

connertown on July 31, 2008 at 11:07 AM

All the movies show mass hysteria, and every time there is actual footage (last week was the airplane taking a dive), the people remain generally calm.
We don’t panic often in this nation…other nations show a cartoon and you drag bodies through the streets.

right2bright on July 31, 2008 at 11:12 AM

Fat lot of good that did in Phantom of the Opera!

Shy Guy on July 31, 2008 at 10:58 AM

You crack me up, man.

Tanya on July 31, 2008 at 11:12 AM

I can’t stand JJ… I think she a total douchebag.

Claypigeon on July 31, 2008 at 11:27 AM

Having been through several So Cal quakes beginning w/ Sylmar in ’71, I can say that nothing produces a greater adrenaline rush. Perhaps that’s why many earthquake casualties involve heart attacks.

If not for the harm to life and property, riding out an earthquake is a pretty exhilarating experience.

CliffHanger on July 31, 2008 at 11:33 AM

Fat lot of good that did in Phantom of the Opera!

Shy Guy on July 31, 2008 at 10:58 AM

I guess you have never heard of Phantom’s Law.

Lily on July 31, 2008 at 11:39 AM

Re the first vid, I say “UNSAFE PODIUMS”. Time for a regulation on the construction of California podiums that three people can seek cover under.

I know, I know. I’m provoking just that.

Dusty on July 31, 2008 at 11:49 AM

Hmm, watched the second one. Judge Jenny’s courtroom is podium safe. Woot! Boycott Judge Judy.

Dusty on July 31, 2008 at 11:51 AM

“Cosmos Gal” has a nice rack, and quite a mouth…

gmoonster on July 31, 2008 at 11:56 AM

The proper thing to do in a major earthquake is this:
Get under a table
Place your hands around the back of the neck
Pull you knees up under you
Make as small of target as possible
Put your head down between your knees
Kiss your ass goodbye…

right2bright on July 31, 2008 at 10:57 AM

Sounds like “duck and cover” for those of us old enough to remember.

TooTall on July 31, 2008 at 12:31 PM

Give me a good Texas Twister anytime. Warning times are good nowadays, you have time to get safe, even if your property is gone. Looks to me like the locals there knew what to do. Stay in the middle of the room? How did they KNOW it wasn’t the big one?

bikermailman on July 31, 2008 at 12:39 PM

Its all Obama’s fault. If he had been campaigning in CA, the quake would never have happened.

AverageJoe on July 31, 2008 at 12:39 PM

Sounds like “duck and cover” for those of us old enough to remember.

TooTall on July 31, 2008 at 12:31 PM

That’s where I drew my memories from. Duck and cover, stay in the middle of the classroom. Don’t look out the windows, cover your eyes because the light from the blast can blind you.

right2bright on July 31, 2008 at 1:27 PM

bikermailman on July 31, 2008 at 12:39 PM

You don’t, 30 seconds seem like an eternity.

right2bright on July 31, 2008 at 1:29 PM

“Cosmos Gal” has a nice rack, and quite a mouth…

I just want to know why she couldn’t predict that.

Jim Treacher on July 31, 2008 at 1:57 PM

bikermailman on July 31, 2008 at 12:39 PM

You know it’s not the big one when it’s only 10 seconds of moderate shaking instead of 30 seconds of violent shaking. Of course, for the next hour or so, you’re also waiting to see if that moderate quake was actually a foreshock of the big one.

JadeNYU on July 31, 2008 at 2:13 PM

I remember when a tornado passed through downtown Salt Lake City a few years back — a pretty rare occurence there. One guy who was visiting from California ran out into the middle of the street, because that’s what you do in an earthquake. A few midwesterners grabbed him and yelled, “You really don’t want to do that buddy!”

I guess we all get used to dealing with our own local types of calamities. I like it here in Wisconsin. It may get cold, but we don’t get hurricanes or earthquakes. Just the occasional tornado, and perhaps a bad season from the Packers. The current Brett Favre fiasco should be considered a natural disaster.

CrusaderMom on July 31, 2008 at 2:25 PM

Only judges and cockroaches will survive the apocalypse.

Buddahpundit on July 31, 2008 at 7:36 PM

Some things I notice.
First That guy has never been in an earthquake before. The set walls scare me, they are not real, just proped up with 2x4s. The lights are dangerous and lastly, that was a quick one.

Gwillie on July 31, 2008 at 8:34 PM

*yuck*

I thought that dried up old skank was dead, much less still getting her show aired.

SilverStar830 on July 31, 2008 at 9:06 PM