Unbelievable: NYT recycles nutroots charge that McCain’s Britney ad is racist

posted at 6:24 pm on July 31, 2008 by Allahpundit

From Josh Marshall’s lips to the editorial board’s ear. New rule: If you’re conservative, juxtaposing images of Barack Obama and white women regardless of context is racist per se. As, of course, is juxtaposing images of Obama and black men or women, lest you be accused of emphasizing his race by association.

Juxtaposing images of him with white men? Iffy. Might suggest he’s gay. They’ll get back to you.

The ad gave us an uneasy feeling that the McCain campaign was starting up the same sort of racially tinged attack on Mr. Obama that Republican operatives, some of whom work for Mr. McCain now, ran against Harold Ford, a black candidate for Senate in Tennessee in 2006. That assault, too, began with videos juxtaposing Mr. Ford with young, white women…

[Team McCain's] retort [to Obama's "dollar bill" comment] was, we must say, not only contemptible, but shrewd. It puts the sin for the racial attack not on those who made it, but on the victim of the attack.

It also — and we wish this were coincidence, but we doubt it — conjurs [sic] up another loaded racial image.

The phrase dealing the race card “from the bottom of the deck” entered the national lexicon during the O.J. Simpson saga. Robert Shapiro, one of Mr. Simpson’s lawyers, famously declared of himself, Johnny Cochran and the rest of the Simpson defense team, “Not only did we play the race card, we dealt it from the bottom of the deck.”

Answer honestly: How many of you knew the pedigree of the “bottom of the deck” line? I swear that I didn’t, and doubtless well over 99% of the public doesn’t either. But as we were reminded this morning, that doesn’t matter: Whether Davis intended to allude to O.J. and whether his audience was capable of grasping the allusion even if it was intended are now wholly beside the point. What matters is what McCain’s enemies see, and if they see racism, racism is plausibly there. Objective meaning is theirs, exclusively, to determine.

Speaking of which, your exit question: What’s funniest? This ante-upper, Godwin-ing past simple accusations of racism to charge McCain with comparing Obama to Hitler? Ross Douthat’s drily witty reply? Or the comments to Douthat’s post, willfully misreading his point that any superficial similarities between Obama’s speech and a Nuremberg rally are the fault of the campaign in order to accuse him of comparing Obama to Hitler?

Update: For a guy who showed an admirable amount of nerve yesterday swatting down Obama’s charge of racism, Tapper’s kid-gloves treatment of the repulsive Times piece is exceedingly weak.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

this crap makes my hair hurt…

D2Boston on July 31, 2008 at 6:27 PM

The most trusted name in news, indeed.

It's Vintage, Duh on July 31, 2008 at 6:27 PM

Get used to it. The mainstream media his going to wear this out. Anybody that criticizes Obama or mentions his name in anything but the most reverent tone will be branded as a racist. Hey guys, its the mainstream media. What else do you expect from them? The truth? If you’re looking for the truth, you’re looking in the wrong place.

volsense on July 31, 2008 at 6:30 PM

Sure, let’s have a national conversation on race.

It’ll be a good faith discussion, I’m sure. No reckless charges of racism.

No thanks, I’ll pass.

Actually, if the charges were true, this would be racialism on the part of the McCain campaign or a racialist appeal. Not racism. But since the word racialism doesn’t carry much freight, it isn’t used.

SteveMG on July 31, 2008 at 6:32 PM

This new offensive by McCain is hitting a soft spot. Like Chuckabee said “If you’re catching flak, you must be over the target.” They crazier and angrier they get the more you know you’re getting to them.

D0WNT0WN on July 31, 2008 at 6:32 PM

Well, reparations will certainly make everything better now won’t it.

Haunchie on July 31, 2008 at 6:34 PM

Stolen shamelessly from The Corner, and someone who wrote to Jonah Goldberg, I give you the paradox of this race:

Interesting juxtaposition:

Obama camp now: John McCain and his Republican allies will try to scare them by saying Obama “doesn’t look like all those other presidents on the dollar bills.”

Obama in Berlin: “I know that I don’t look like the Americans who’ve previously spoken in this great city.”

Doesn’t Obama need to explain why he’s hurling such undignified attacks at his own campaign?

Barry the Pretzel (Is that racist cause pretzels are brown?)

Also:

Umm, I thought dealing “from the bottom of the deck” was/is a card-playing phrase denoting a crooked dealer. The only reason it is used in this contect is , surprise surprise, the “race card.” Am I so dense that the obvious reason for this metaphor is just beyond me? Or is the NYT just making stuff up (again)?

VolMagic on July 31, 2008 at 6:35 PM

Good, let them keep whining about racism when there is none. The average American is pretty dumb, but not that dumb.

Riposte on July 31, 2008 at 6:35 PM

Count me in the 99%. Silly me, I assumed it comes from the Wild West or Vegas or something.

While we’re dissecting the “American lexicon”, it occurs to me that to say that Obama threw Jeremiah Wright or his mother under the bus must be racist because when I think of buses I think of busing and when I think of busing…oh never mind.

Buy Danish on July 31, 2008 at 6:37 PM

In TV commercials, you’re only allowed to surround the messiah with sexually ambidextrous midwestern college boys wearing Abercrombie & Fitch t-shirts or you are a racist.

ninjapirate on July 31, 2008 at 6:37 PM

Barack Obama is a presumptuous and elitist World Child Emperor, a la Romulus Augustus, as far as his experience for this job is concerned.

His ideology is socialist/Marxist, with an anarchyst creepy wife. He’s a black Hugo Chavez, veiled in a non-transparent curtain, so the lemmings wouldn’t find that out, in time.

Anyone, I mean anyone, who sees racism in that, go get yourselves on a psychologist’s couch because I don’t care.

I think that anyone who’s made it to the top ticket, and whines about anything, is a eunich, or a wussified sissy, one who’s got one ball made of feathers, and the other is an actual ping pong ball.

Suck on it NYT. I’ve done more for minorities in this simple life, than all of your Utopian dreams/idealisms put together.

Entelechy on July 31, 2008 at 6:37 PM

Ross Douthat is getting hammered in the comments. There are some VERY surly folks there.

Am I a racist for pointing that out?

wccawa on July 31, 2008 at 6:41 PM

Bottom line: Unless Obama comes out by tomorrow and denounces this outrage, we should regard him as complicit in the attack and treat him as a full fledged race baiter.

Middle class white people, whether white or blue collar, tend to be deeply resentful of race baiting, because they are most often the victims of race preferences, affirmative action, and false accusations of racism. If we start running a narrative that Obama is unfairly trying to play the race card and is running for President as an “affirmative action candidate,” it could cost him enough votes to help get McCain in.

The choice is yours, Senator Obama. You can either play vicious race cards on McCain, in which case Republicans will and should hit back, or you can walk away from it and fight on the issues. Up to you!

Outlander on July 31, 2008 at 6:42 PM

If you show Obama with any of his Veep candidates you are showing him with a con men and men who cheat on there wives, show him with his pastor and you are a bigot, show him with his friends and you show him with a terrorist, show him with his wife and you show him with a racist white hater…
Here is one we can show him with.

right2bright on July 31, 2008 at 6:44 PM

The fact of the matter is that Obama has done nothing at all to distinguish himself, other rising through the political ranks quickly, by going from senator to presidential nominee in a few years. The reason for his quick ascendancy is because people are voting for him based on the color of his skin, and NOT his track record.

So it is the people voting for him that are the true racists, because they are implicitly acknowledging a difference between the races. They believe they must elect someone of color, for whatever reason.

That is racism.

Riposte on July 31, 2008 at 6:44 PM

this crap makes my hair hurt…

You’d better shave it off now. We’ve only just seen the tip of a very, very ugly iceberg.

Exit question: Which campaign will show images of white only water fountains?

E9RET on July 31, 2008 at 6:44 PM

Standard Marxist strategy.

baldilocks on July 31, 2008 at 6:46 PM

Outlander

Especially if they come from states without the South’s history of slavery and segregation. Ohio, Pennsylvania, Michigan come to mind. States Obama can’t afford to lose.

Wethal on July 31, 2008 at 6:46 PM

I can’t believe this is the same Rick Perlstein that wrote “Nixonland”.

This Campaign for the …..nevermind I get it now. Retain the fellowship, pay the bills, generate traffic.

Keep on trucking Rick.

gabriel sutherland on July 31, 2008 at 6:48 PM

The Obama campaign, the NY Times and other elitist, leftist institutions don’t claim racism because they actually think an ad with Obama and Britney is racist. They claim racism because they want to shut down criticism and they are counting on the general good will of the American people to allow it.

I don’t blame them for trying, but, I am getting sick and tired of allowing it to work.

If the NY Times wants to redefine racism as “putting images of Obama next to images of Britney” then, fine, the ad is racist. They’ve also managed to make the word racism mean approximately nothing.

In a world where everything is racism, we’re all racists. Does that mean we can all finally move on and get back to discussing real issues?

JadeNYU on July 31, 2008 at 6:48 PM

Rove believed that to win an election you have to set the agenda, keep on message.

The more I look at the Obamania campaign slowly circling the drain, I have to wonder if maybe all of these low tech ads and such that really seem to raise Obama’s hackles might not be part of a designed McCain campaign strategy to make Obama step all over himself…exposing himself as the lightweight he actually is, and the arrogance of his audacity, or is it audacity of arrogance?

If most of the Obama coverage since his return from his Global By God They Love me Tour has mostly been Obama sniping about this or that being “racist” or “low-road” and such, it certainly keeps him away from setting any sort of agenda and keeps him from sticking on message.

Meanwhile, McCain just plugs away…

coldwarrior on July 31, 2008 at 6:49 PM

Racism and class envy is standard operating procedures for democrats. They haven’t ever won an election without it. Why think this one is different? With Obama, this could get nauseating pretty quickly. Guilt trip, here we come.

volsense on July 31, 2008 at 6:49 PM

…Republican operatives, some of whom work for Mr. McCain now…

Y’know, I was pretty sure those crack investigative journalists at the New York Times were going to figure out that John McCain was an evil Republican.

And I knew it would happen right about now too.

logis on July 31, 2008 at 6:50 PM

NYT is just following orders. Take a look at the front page of http://www.talkingpointsmemo.com and you’ll see the dizzy dems going literally spinned over the race card that was a race card that wasn’t a race card that was a race card or whatever it is those poor souls are spewing forth. Fact: Ditzy celebs are not a racist topic. Fact: That doesn’t matter to Ditzy libs. Valley Girl. All of them.

ilitigant on July 31, 2008 at 6:53 PM

I’m sure Pinch will ask for a return on his “investment” when it comes time to bail the NYT out of red ink.

GarandFan on July 31, 2008 at 6:53 PM

Sighs…. the race card is getting old… like a fish gutted and left on the banks of a river.

upinak on July 31, 2008 at 6:54 PM

Does Obama’s white half like Britney and Paris?

Or is he too racist to like “typical white women”

profitsbeard on July 31, 2008 at 6:54 PM

Does anybody understand Tapper’s comment deletion policy?
The strangest things, pro and con, get deleted there.

MayBee on July 31, 2008 at 6:55 PM

I’m not interested in Barack’s sex tape. Anybody got a link?

CK MacLeod on July 31, 2008 at 6:56 PM

I don’t know what these people are talking about. Really. It just sounds like blah blah blah to me.

When all is said and done Obama will have sit back race relations in this country. Burn baby burn.

Terrye on July 31, 2008 at 6:56 PM

I learned about “bottom of the deck” dealing from the magic book I got from the Book of the Month Club when I was in second grade. I knew it was wrong because I couldn’t do it well and my sisters would always yell, “Cheater, Cheater. I caught you!”

That was a long long time before OJ Simpson brutally murder his ex-wife and her boy friend.

Dusty on July 31, 2008 at 6:56 PM

The more Obama – and his supporters – play the race card to try to shut down ANY political discussion against Obama’s positions, the more the public will weary of it and turn against him.

Clinton, Gore, Kerry, and Clinton had very similar policies as Obama is championing and I voted against everyone of them.

My vote against Obama would be because of his political resemblence to the aforementioned, NOT due to his lack of resemblence to “those other presidents on the dollar bills”.

SouthernRoots on July 31, 2008 at 6:58 PM

upinak on July 31, 2008 at 6:54 PM

Which is why this bull won’t resonate with the general public. They’re not going to accept every criticism being called racist.

amerpundit on July 31, 2008 at 6:59 PM

When I saw that ad, race was not in my mind at all. It didn’t occur to me for even a fraction of a second. To me, it was painfully obvious that the jab was about empty celebrities and their vacuous worshippers. THEY (Obama’s people) brought race into it. It’s always them (libs). I go for long periods of time in which I completely forget that Obama’s black — even when looking at pictures of him. I just don’t think of him in terms of race unless someone else forces the discussion in that direction. I think of him as a dangerous socialist who is a threat to my way of life, and it honest-to-God has nothing to do with his skin color. It is always their doing when race comes into the debate, and it’s tiresome to those of us who really aren’t considering it to be a factor in our choice. I sometimes think racism would die a quick natural death if THEY would just let it. I’m not naive enough to think it would completely go away, but I bet a huge percentage of people really wouldn’t even think about it if liberals didn’t force them to. I know my kids don’t think about race and don’t care, and neither do any of their friends.

aero on July 31, 2008 at 6:59 PM

Obama same as Louis Farrakhan, Rev. Wright, David Duke, Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton..

Race Hustler

Chakra Hammer on July 31, 2008 at 7:00 PM

Bill Clinton even knows whats its like to have the race card played against him..

Bill Clinton said that Obama played the race card again him.

Chakra Hammer on July 31, 2008 at 7:02 PM

amerpundit on July 31, 2008 at 6:59 PM

amer, when someone starts to say a race joke, I have a tendency to just ignore it. I don’t care about color, everyone is red on the inside unless you have some weird chemical going through your system.

This irks me to no end.

upinak on July 31, 2008 at 7:02 PM

This comment cracked me up, although I had to click on the link to the guy’s blog to make sure he was kidding:

I think the narrator is the same one as from the “Willie Horton” ad.
And there are hands in the ad that look suspiciously like the ones from Jesse Helms’s infamous “white hands” ad against affirmative action.

And I could have sworn I saw a daisy in there somehwere…

The fact that I had to double check is depressing as all get out.

MamaAJ on July 31, 2008 at 7:03 PM

They’re not going to accept every criticism being called racist.

Crap. I did it again. I underestimated the people.

You’re right amerpundit. Maybe this ad is more clever than meets the eye.

gabriel sutherland on July 31, 2008 at 7:05 PM

It doesn’t matter if anyone, at all, knew about Shapiro’s comment. The phrase does not have its origination in the OJ Simpson trial. It is a common phrase from playing cards, indicating that the dealer is cheating, or acting in a dubious manner. The fact that Shapiro chose the phrase for his defense of OJ does not make its originating context his, or racist. Transparently dishonest by the NYT. Disgusting, really.

nailinmyeye on July 31, 2008 at 7:08 PM

Oh the “Yute” of today.

Dealing from the bottom of the deck refers to a talented card player in poker that can place certain cards in a special order at the bottom on the deck during the shuffle and bring them out or deal them when needed for their advantage. (like a magician that can do unbelievable card tricks). To WIN the game.

It’s called cheating.

If caught in the olden days you got a .44 cal 1/2 once piece of lead betwixt the eyes.

Today, if you discover the cheater, the MSM calls you a racist.

Sometimes I believe that “youth is wasted on the young”

1GooDDaDDy on July 31, 2008 at 7:09 PM

aero on July 31, 2008 at 6:59 PM

I read an editorial once about how “ignoring someone’s race” (i.e. not noticing it) is also racist. The girl writing it complained that her white college friends were ‘white washing’ who she really was by accepting her as a member of the group and treating her as if she was no different than anyone else. Apparently, they were supposed to treat her different because she was black….I’m not sure how well that would have gone over though.

JadeNYU on July 31, 2008 at 7:10 PM

I imagine these race-baiting reporters have some sort of rolodex (somewhat like Lexisnexis) that shows them possible racial meanings of any term. You just can’t do anything but sit back and laugh at our national media.

Ian on July 31, 2008 at 7:11 PM

I posted the following at the Times’s site. I wonder if it’ll actually get approved:

Wow. This is shameless. How can you blame McCain’s ad for a comment Barack Obama first made back in June? Or do you honestly not remember his “and did I tell you he’s black” remark? Second… comparing someone to Britney Spears is racist? Are we supposed to assume that young white women are inferior and therefore any comparison to them is demeaning? Talk about misogyny. And how is his dollar bill a retort to that? There are no young white women on our currency either. Lastly, the only one who has compared Obama to O.J. Simpson is Jesse Jackson Jr. — after Obama’s Iowa win. I quote: “The natural reminder here is O.J. — how does an African American candidate attack a white woman?” Proof that the only one making racist, tasteless comments in this campaign is the Obama camp itself.

Spolitics on July 31, 2008 at 7:18 PM

It’s official. “O”bama hates America.

The lapel pin.
Not visiting the injured soldiers while Germany and now this?

Kokonut on July 31, 2008 at 7:18 PM

1GooDDaDDy on July 31, 2008 at 7:09 PM

Ya know, after four decades of NEA ownership of our public schools, the “yute” don’t learn a whole lot do they…I mean real academic stuff, not that find-your-belly-button, feel guilty for slavery/being American/having blue eyes stuff…

Remember when a San Francisco city council member was ridden out of town on a rail for using a Scandinavian word for miserly a number of years ago, or the big hubbub about using an astronomical term regarding the aftermath of a collapsed star recently at a city council meeting in Georgia?

How can we expect journalists today to understand the etiology of words and euphemisms? Why are we so amazed when throngs are swayed by 30-second sound bites?

coldwarrior on July 31, 2008 at 7:21 PM

With the inclusion of the OJ stuff I really thought that I was reading a parody.

phronesis on July 31, 2008 at 7:27 PM

If anybody else had made such a stretch to tie Obama to OJ, then NYTs would have written an editorial condemning it as racist.

MayBee on July 31, 2008 at 7:44 PM

Unbelievable? Believe it. Last one out of the NYT building, turn out the lights.

bigbeas on July 31, 2008 at 7:55 PM

Meh, Allah, it’s believable, simply because it’s the NYT. They’ve sold out totally: if “The O” were to declare tomorrow that he’s the son of God, they wouldn’t shed the kneepads.

Here’s something crunchy delicious, though: Hitch and VD Hanson discussing Buchanan’s WWII book, Niall Ferguson’s PBS series, and…a quote by Rush Limbaugh.

Nichevo on July 31, 2008 at 7:56 PM

With all this brouhaha about McCain you don’t hear anything about Obama’s buddy Ludacris’ lovely ditty. How ’bout that?

ctmom on July 31, 2008 at 8:04 PM

The NYT’s just posted an 82% decrease in profits for the 2nd quarter.

BAH Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Alden Pyle on July 31, 2008 at 8:07 PM

Let’s say Hussein does get shot.

Will the nutroots blame the McVain ad?

madmonkphotog on July 31, 2008 at 8:09 PM

I remember when that commercial with the white woman was played against Harold Ford, Jr., in his Tennessee Senate race. I was living in the area of NE Tennessee at the time. I thought the commercial was funny, if a little harsh (it insinuated Ford might be crooked). When Ford supporters started screaming it was “racist,” I had no idea what they were talking about. (Crooked politicians come in all colors, don’t they?). Then I saw somebody from Ford’s campaign talking about how having the blond white “call me” woman in the commercial was playing into “southern racists’ fears about black men and white women.” As a white southerner, I found that unbelievable. Are we still living in the 1950′s? Who cares about that kind of crap anymore? Until Ford’s camp started crying “racism,” I bet very few white people would even have noticed or cared what color the woman was. But once they started making such a big deal out of it, it irritated a lot of people. They were not irritated by the commercial or the white woman in the commercial, but the fact that Ford’s camp just assumed that southern whites who viewed the commercial were all secret bigots just looking for any flimsy excuse to vote against a black candidate. I know a couple of people who were planning to vote for Ford before the controversy, but who were so annoyed by his tactics that they ended up not casting any vote in the Senate race.

Ironically, Ford later married a blond white woman. But I guess nobody should take a picture of them together — it might be racist to show that.

AZCoyote on July 31, 2008 at 8:20 PM

AZCoyote on July 31, 2008 at 8:20 PM

That blonde that Ford married, wasn’t by any chance the blonde in the ad, was she??

coldwarrior on July 31, 2008 at 8:24 PM

New reason Obama can’t choose Hillary as a running mate: pictures of them together would feed into black man as rapist of blondes stereotype.

MayBee on July 31, 2008 at 8:29 PM

Well this makes sense. You just have to keep all your comparisons equal, but racially separate.

Because “Separate but Equal” is the new phrase to show racial compassion and…

Wait, can that be right?

gekkobear on July 31, 2008 at 8:41 PM

The NY Slimes is going down the crapper. Who the heck cares what this archaic liberal junk says?

jencab on July 31, 2008 at 8:42 PM

The phrase “dealing from the bottom of the deck”, is old. Going back at least to cowboy days. It’s a poker term, and it means that the dealer is cheating.

1) It has no racial connotations.
2) The fact that the solons at the NYT claim to have never heard the term prior to the OJ Simpson trial is hardly surprising, much less believable.

The reason why Cochran used the term was that he was aware that most members of his audience already knew what it meant.

MarkTheGreat on July 31, 2008 at 8:43 PM

Let me assure you, it doesn’t matter where people live. Nobody likes to have other people assume that you must be a racist, just because your skin is white.

MarkTheGreat on July 31, 2008 at 8:47 PM

Did they get this same uneasy feeling about Obama’s use of sexist language during the primaries?

chriscoolc on July 31, 2008 at 8:58 PM

Let them do it. It’s transparent Bullsh!t and people will see right through it and it will just hurt Obama.

TheBigOldDog on July 31, 2008 at 9:02 PM

Uh oh, looks like we got ourselves a scandal here.

Alden Pyle on July 31, 2008 at 9:02 PM

I’m quite sure that OJ Simpson also use the word is. Obviously when the McCain campaign says Obama is…they are trying to say Barack Obama is black man who kills white women.

/s

aikidoka on July 31, 2008 at 9:30 PM

It’s obvious McCain’s ad was racist…and he’s shot his wad on that track now.

Poor Fudge Haus, he may have to actually speak about issues soon…and show America just how dumb he is.

alphie on July 31, 2008 at 9:31 PM

Obama launched his new logo today!

Alden Pyle on July 31, 2008 at 9:33 PM

I understand their concerns.

In future, Obama should only be juxtaposed with images of butch lesbians in dungarees.

uptight on July 31, 2008 at 9:35 PM

They are obsessed with race. It’s bizarre.

SouthernGent on July 31, 2008 at 9:44 PM

That’s an awesome sight to see, Alden Pyle. I’d buy one of those.

wise_man on July 31, 2008 at 9:45 PM

They are obsessed with race. It’s bizarre.

SouthernGent on July 31, 2008 at 9:44 PM

It’s weapon that has worked well for them for many years. But now the weapon is old, worn out and prone to backfiring.

TheBigOldDog on July 31, 2008 at 9:52 PM

“SouthernGent” is accusing someone else of being “obsessed with race?”

Too funny.

Woah, Atlanta…

alphie on July 31, 2008 at 9:58 PM

Since the Obama campaign would die of old age waiting for someone from the McCain campaign to ACTUALLY make a racist comment, they had to rely upon one of their minions in the radical left MSM to get the narrative going. Mark my words, from here on out the MSM will constantly refer back “to that time McCain went radically negative and pulled race into the campaign”. I still can’t believe NOBODY has accused Obama of being racist for his constant insinuations that racism must be the motivation behind McCain campaign tactics and the many Americans who don’t want to vote for him. If a white candidate suggested on a regular basis that blacks were not going to vote for him because he is white (thus assuming a racist motivation on the part of most blacks) there would be all hell to pay. The NYT puts out a lot of crap, but this ranks up there among the worst in my opinion. Outright lies and slander against McCain. Disgusting! I hope the conservative blogs (not to mention the McCain campaign) go nuts over this. If anything warrants it, this does.

davenp35 on July 31, 2008 at 9:59 PM

Does Obama’s black half think his white half is a honkey?

profitsbeard on July 31, 2008 at 10:11 PM

Guy walks in to the psychoanalyst, says “doctor, I saw a white woman near a black man, and I couldn’t stop thinking, hey, some republican thinks that black man is going to rape that white woman!”

Psychoanalyst says, “did this republican have a name in your dream?”

Guy says, dream? That was no dream, that was my blog! I’m a f*cking intellectual you son of a bitch!

Psychoanalyst says, “of course you are.”

jeff_from_mpls on July 31, 2008 at 10:16 PM

Silly me, I assumed it comes from the Wild West or Vegas or something.

It did.
The saying is at least 140 years old when 19th Century poker dealers on Mississippi River gambling boats got deft enough at dealing cards they could deal an ace or two off the bottom of the deck when they ( or the player paying them off) needed it.
( I’ll try to find when/where it started)
Just add another to the list of things we cant say, or do, or use against B. HUSSEIN, the RACE CARD SNOB-AMA.

shooter on July 31, 2008 at 10:25 PM

It’s obvious McCain’s ad was racist…and he’s shot his wad on that track now.

alphie on July 31, 2008 at 9:31 PM

“SouthernGent” is accusing someone else of being “obsessed with race?”
Too funny.
Woah, Atlanta…
alphie on July 31, 2008 at 9:58 PM

Folks, please reframe from feeding the troll (small “t”).

It only makes them come back for more food without working for it and makes them fat, stupid and lazy.

Have respect for the mentally handicapped.

Thank you so much.

1GooDDaDDy on July 31, 2008 at 10:31 PM

dealing from the bottom of the deck

You all are cutting out a crucial part of the assertion. Marshall’s not saying that the original phrase “dealing from the bottom of the deck” came from the OJ trial; he’s saying that the phrase “dealing the race card from the bottom of the deck” came from that infamous trial. He did misplace the quotes, however.

baldilocks on July 31, 2008 at 11:13 PM

I wonder if Linda Daves (head of NC Republican Party) secretly called the McCain campaign and told him to apologize to her since McCain falsely accused her and the NCGOP of doing exactly what McCain is being falsely accused of doing…”associating” Obama with a *gasp* White woman! The White woman in this case is Beverly Perdue, democrat shill and gubernatorial candidate in NC who heartily endorsed Barry and mailed the picture out herself in a mailer!

SouthernGent on July 31, 2008 at 11:15 PM

alphie on July 31, 2008 at 9:31 PM

Why are you here?

I don’t go to liberal blogs and troll nor do I even read them, why don’t you leave?

Chakra Hammer on July 31, 2008 at 11:15 PM

From June 20

By Caren Bohan

JACKSONVILLE, Florida (Reuters) – Democratic presidential contender Barack Obama said on Friday he expects Republicans to highlight the fact that he is black as part of an effort to make voters afraid of him.

“It is going to be very difficult for Republicans to run on their stewardship of the economy or their outstanding foreign policy,” Obama told a fundraiser in Jacksonville, Florida. “We know what kind of campaign they’re going to run. They’re going to try to make you afraid.

“They’re going to try to make you afraid of me. He’s young and inexperienced and he’s got a funny name. And did I mention he’s black?”

He said he was also set for Republicans to say “he’s got a feisty wife,” in trying to attack his wife Michelle.

funky chicken on August 1, 2008 at 12:59 AM

Well, I think that Obama just officially adopted “Kool Thing” by Sonic Youth as his official campaign song…(g)

ebrown2 on August 1, 2008 at 1:05 AM

Yep….Im getting sick of being called names by this arrogant a-hole.

Im a racist, bitter, gun and Bible clingin, OJ-hatin woman from PA.

That has a nice ring to it actually. :)

becki51758 on August 1, 2008 at 6:42 AM

The inclusion of Britney Spears was a poor choice. One could argue (weakly) that she is/was a singer and entertainer. Pairs Hilton, however, is entirely a media creation, just as Obama. Famous for being famous.

And both Paris and Obama have the same legislative accomplishments.

drjohn on August 1, 2008 at 7:15 AM

What is more racist for B.O. here, implying there is racial content in this McCain ad, or bringing up for the umpteenth bazillonth time the “O.J. Saga”.

What’s there to bring up about O.J.? He did it!

pilamaye on August 1, 2008 at 7:15 AM

“Andy Warhol said we all get our 15 minutes of fame,” says Barack Obama. “I’ve already had an hour and a half. I mean, I’m so overexposed, I’m making Paris Hilton look like a recluse.”

drjohn on August 1, 2008 at 7:53 AM

drjohn on August 1, 2008 at 7:53 AM

Excellent find. That’s a heavy petard.

fossten on August 1, 2008 at 8:25 AM

lest you be accused of emphasizing half his race by association.

OK now.

peacenprosperity on August 1, 2008 at 8:54 AM

And this is one of the main reasons I wanted Hillary to win. I’m so sick of those who find racism in everything, and it’s only going to get worse.

Esthier on August 1, 2008 at 9:42 AM

So Obama mentions his race or the way he looks and he isn’t talking about his race, and McCain’s ad merely presents him with white women and it’s racist. Huh.

Akzed on August 1, 2008 at 12:15 PM

Unbelievable: NYT recycles nutroots charge that McCain’s Britney ad is racist

THE NEW YORK TIMES, THE PAPER THAT LEAKS AMERICAN MILITARY SECRETS TO AL QAEDA, AND DELIVERS THEIR PAPER FREE, DIRECTLY TO BIN LADEN’S CAVE … WHO’D THUNK!

byteshredder on August 1, 2008 at 6:52 PM