Jindal for GOP convention keynote speaker; Update: Or Huck?

posted at 8:05 pm on July 31, 2008 by Allahpundit

Ruffini calls for a groundswell, which shouldn’t be too difficult. So obviously is this a good idea that I assumed Jindal had already been named. But then, this is the party that didn’t see the Ted Stevens catastrophe coming from four years away. Assume nothing.

A charismatic young politician, a keynote springboard to national fame — we’ve seen this movie before and it ends happily (thus far). Exit question: Anyone not think this is a no-brainer?

Update: Surprising grumbling in the comments about his history with exorcism and vote on creationism.

Update: You can use the keynote either to promote a new political talent or to showcase a dynamic speaker who can use the time to sell the party’s message ahead of the election (or, in the case of someone like Obama, both). Jindal fits the bill on the first point, but as much as it pains me to say it, the best we can do on the second is probably Huckabee. He’s not popular enough within the party to get the slot, in all likelihood, but there’s no better communicator on the right at the moment and it’d be a sop to evangelicals miffed at the fact that he’s left off the ticket. Worth considering.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

You want to know what would be absolutely fantastic? Fred introducing Jindal. Handing the keys to the next generation.

Politicians electing politicians. Awesome.

freevillage on August 1, 2008 at 12:56 AM

freevillage on August 1, 2008 at 12:56 AM

At a political convention no less.

Connie on August 1, 2008 at 1:16 AM

freevillage on August 1, 2008 at 12:56 AM

Jindal is popular with the politicians AND with the people. For a reason. There is nothing wrong with an older conservative suggesting that someone is worthy of furthering the agenda and that his is a voice worth listening to.

Connie on August 1, 2008 at 1:19 AM

You know what is really starting to stick under my craw…? Secularists who just cannot help but to attack anyone that is Christian. I wonder why…its not as if we are trying to change the Government to a religious monarchy no matter their own fevered dreams that tell them otherwise.

That live and let live admonition is a valuable one. It keeps us together. Just because you have the right to act like a asses does not mean you must.

I won’t force you to kneel and thank god for your existence and you don’t ask me to believe that we are accidents…y’all don’t believe in magic but you do believe that we just accidently came into being. Okay thats not magic…whatever.

PierreLegrand on August 1, 2008 at 1:34 AM

PierreLegrand on August 1, 2008 at 1:34 AM

That’s sounds very nice—except that it’s the creationists who are trying to impose their views into science, not the other way around. How would you like it if the government forced churches to teach evolution?

FloatingRock on August 1, 2008 at 1:45 AM

Yes, let’s do put Mike Huckabee up in front of a nationwide audience as the party’s keynote speaker. I’m sure he’d never say something stupid like, oh, I don’t know, joking about somebody pointing a gun at Obama — what’s that you say? He did that at the NRA national convention? Doing his part to make gun owners look like crazed loons, and giving the Democrats the kind of commercial footage they dream about when they fondle themselves in the privacy of campaign headquarters? Oh, well!

Really, I’m sure he won’t make conservatives look bad again! C’mon, guys, *what’ve we got to lose?*

Well-Armed Lamb on August 1, 2008 at 2:16 AM

anyone who would speculate what Jesus “feels” doesn’t probably think highly of Jesus. I’m guessing Davenp35 didn’t have this in mind.

Topsecretk9 on August 1, 2008 at 12:30 AM

Oh OK, as long as you are guessing and not speculating as the two words have such different meanings. Oh wait! They are basically synonyms!

You are funny. Are you a self-parody?

MB4 on August 1, 2008 at 4:06 AM

Huckabee is a total ass and he will go Buchanan circa 1992 on us.

Hilts on August 1, 2008 at 8:00 AM

I want to be sure to know when to watch. Does he do an exorcism at the start or at the end of his speech?

MB4 on July 31, 2008 at 8:17 PM

I sure hope so, then maybe Obama AND McCain might go back to their respective nether-region (Congress)…

dominigan on August 1, 2008 at 8:48 AM

FloatingRock on August 1, 2008 at 1:45 AM

Actually, that’s not true. First, it’s Design, not creationism. Anyone who throws out creationism is just trying to kill discussion through a strawman argument.

Design is just looking at the facts from a different perspective. Take DNA for instance… the theory of evolution believes that similarities in DNA are because we all evolved some one source and similarities were passed down.

The theory of Design states that the similarities are there because they were designed that way… just like how software developers will use a common platform (web server, database server, architecture pattern, etc) in building many different applications. And if you’ve looked at as much code as I have over the years, you also start to notice “fingerprints” from the developers. If given a team of 5 developers that I’ve worked with for a year, I could look through the code and tell you who wrote which modules. Design works the same way. It’s an exercise in statistics and pattern analysis… which are valid math disciplines used everyday in other sciences.

People who throw out the creationism argument are usually more afraid of where the evidence may lead, than about the evidence itself…

dominigan on August 1, 2008 at 8:57 AM

If Bobby Jindal was put in charge of SDI he would rename the missiles, Exorcism I, Exorcism II and Exorcism III and replace their fuel with Holy Water.

MB4 on July 31, 2008 at 8:40 PM

Where did all these religious BIGOTS come from? I left the LGF boards because of the palpable HATE coming off them. I don’t need this here…

dominigan on August 1, 2008 at 9:05 AM

Huckaveep!

SaintOlaf on August 1, 2008 at 9:07 AM

FloatingRock on July 31, 2008 at 9:38 PM

When I said all things are possible, I didn’t mean that in a biblical sense. I am the eternal optimist. If something is working, something else will done and can be done. And usually better. I think science proves that everyday. Maybe it is my age group but the changes and the products that we have available to us now are like a miracle. Which brings me to another point. Rhetorical question here, why in the world do people have to get so aggravated with each other? Although some people may be trying to be willfully bullheaded most are just speaking from their life experience. Their lying eyes!

Cindy Munford on August 1, 2008 at 9:09 AM

dominigan on August 1, 2008 at 9:05 AM

been shaking my head with my jaw on the floor reading this thread as well. :(

trailortrash on August 1, 2008 at 9:20 AM

If it’s not skin color it’s religion of late. GET OVER YOURSELVES. I don’t care if you pray to your god or a tree on the corner, believe in what you will and leave the rest of us alone.

Back to the point at hand: it’s NOT a no-brainer. Though charismatic and bright, he is young, unproven, and would be better off waiting to be groomed by the party for ’12. The same goes for Barry, but after he falls flat on his face for the next four years proving the point, Jindal will be much better positioned to champion the conservative cause.

Biffstir on August 1, 2008 at 11:59 AM

Heartache. Et tu, Allah?

TheUnrepentantGeek on August 1, 2008 at 12:12 PM

PLEASE signal with Jindal not Huckabee, the religious bigot.

I may yet sit out this Presidential election. I’ll vote for other offices. But if either choice for President destroys the country – why bother to make the choice?

I do NOT want a Mullahocracy here, either Mohammedan or Christian.

{^_^}