HuffPo blogger: McCain’s Britney ad actually a secret call for assassination

posted at 12:17 pm on July 31, 2008 by Allahpundit

Something light for a lazy Thursday.

Beginning with a sequence of flashes paired with isolated hands in Berlin, followed immediately by a sequence (above) from what looks like the last Democratic Convention (where Obama made his first major jolt, but where the scene itself bears next-to-no direct connection to Obama having his picture taken), and now all the “pop-pop-pop” and the violently-sensory “flash-flash-flash” seem indistinguishable from explosions.

With those fireworks serving as a (possible Denver) table setting, and just on-the-other-side of the seductive Britney/Paris segment, we arrive at this chronological sequence in which Obama is mingling with the Berlin crowd, a single nervous-looking Secret Service agent fixed off the candidate’s left shoulder…

Follow the link for Zapruder-esque screencaps. In fairness to the left, he’s the only one I’ve seen willing to descend to this particular depth of paranoia. The nutroots party line predictably seems to be settling on the more politically salable paranoid claim that the GOP in its racist frenzy wants voters to think Obama’s a sexual threat to young white women. To believe that could work, you have to believe (as many on the left do) that the mindset of the modern Republican base is indistinguishable from the mindset of 1920s Mississippi or, more charitably, that racial semiotics are so deeply encoded in America’s consciousness that you and I are picking up these signals without even realizing it. In fact, it may go beyond that. Given that no one’s offered any evidence of a strategy within the McCain campaign to play on race (on the contrary), the accusation here may be that McCain’s own ad people unconsciously set out to cast racial insinuations, helpless as they are to resist their own conservative or American impulses when challenged by a black man in a position of power.

That accusation of unconscious racism has been made before but it’s a trip to see it again so soon after the New Yorker cover; we’ve apparently arrived at the point where not only are the conscious intentions of the author irrelevant, but potentially so are the conscious intentions of his audience. If you’re racist regardless of whether you meant to be racist or were taken to be racist — except by the opposition in its eagerness to score points — then “meaning” independent of political utility no longer exists. The punchline is that it’s perfectly obvious what McCain really meant to accomplish with that ad and perfectly obvious what he meant by his choice of symbolism, so much so that Obama himself has used the same reference in a similar context more than once before. Even some of Barry O’s big media supporters can’t bring themselves to dive into the sewer on this one: Time media critic (and admitted Obama fan) James Poniewozik tries a half-hearted “they’re calling him a girl” theory, but then waters it down by properly noting that the touchstones of celebrity lightweights these days — Paris, Britney, Lindsay Lohan — all happen to be female, in which case any implication about Obama being effeminate might have been unavoidable and thus unintended. Does that even matter anymore?

Team McCain’s already issued a statement this morning accusing Obama of having played the race card last night, so the bad-faith pushback from the left should really start hopping now. Stay tuned.

Update: Karl scolds me in the comments for suggesting that there’s anything “light” about the left’s Orwellian tactics here. I quite agree; nothing “light” about assassination or bad-faith accusations of murderous intent either. It was sarcasm.

Comments

Thank goodness I watch Turner Classic Movies mostly.

mymanpotsandpans on July 31, 2008 at 12:18 PM

Yeah that’s what I thought too.

Akzed on July 31, 2008 at 12:19 PM

HuffPoo

jgapinoy on July 31, 2008 at 12:19 PM

Reminds me of this:

In the Family Guy episode Mind Over Murder a television commercial depicts the assassination of Abraham Lincoln while pitching the fictional product “Mintos”, a play upon the actual product “Mentos”. After the commercial plays the Griffins sitting on the couch, with the exception of Peter, proclaim the commercial to be completely ineffective. Peter on the other hand stands up and walks out of the living room saying, “Must kill Lincoln.”

lorien1973 on July 31, 2008 at 12:21 PM

If anyone would know about assassination chic, it would be those on the Left.

William Teach on July 31, 2008 at 12:21 PM

BO in January:
“I promise I won’t go negative.”
BO in July:
“McCain is attacking my race, my name, & my safety!”

jgapinoy on July 31, 2008 at 12:21 PM

“…the modern Republican base is indistinguishable from the mindset of 1920s Mississippi…”

Wasn’t the mindset of 20s Mississippi a Democrat one?

Al-Ozarka on July 31, 2008 at 12:24 PM

HuffPo blogger retard: McCain’s Britney ad actually a secret call for assassination

FIFY … sorry for the redundancy.

thirteen28 on July 31, 2008 at 12:25 PM

Is this a fiicking joke?

carbon_footprint on July 31, 2008 at 12:26 PM

Al-Ozarka on July 31, 2008 at 12:24 PM

ding ding ding!
Great point.
We are all so brainwashed to think it is the Republicans who have historically been the racist ones.

carbon_footprint on July 31, 2008 at 12:27 PM

That yahoo link didn’t give much coverage to the issue. Bummer.

nailinmyeye on July 31, 2008 at 12:27 PM

HuffPo blogger: McCain’s Britney ad actually a secret call for assassination

Arriana Huffbullshit. Seriously, this dopey woman needs to get a life!

byteshredder on July 31, 2008 at 12:28 PM

I wrote something similar in the midst of the New Yorker kerfuffle. But I would not classify the attempt of the Left to make words (or images) mean whatever they say they mane (like Humpty Dumpty in Through the Looking Glass) as a “light” topic. Rather, it is a fairly bold, vaguely totalitarian effort to seize control over the entire political debate by trying to arrogate the power to decide meaning to one side of the debate.

Karl on July 31, 2008 at 12:28 PM

Did that jacka** see this or does he just deem it as “artful”

Brat on July 31, 2008 at 12:29 PM

Do you suppose people who are this stupid feel physical pain when they think?

EJDolbow on July 31, 2008 at 12:29 PM

Who knew that Britney’s music is so bad that just seeing her wants to make people keel over dead? Isn’t that how McCain wants to assassinate Obama–make him listen to Britney music while watching Paris Hilton for three weeks?

On the other hand, that would probably be pretty effective at Gitmo, come to think of it….

Vanceone on July 31, 2008 at 12:30 PM

Sarcasm, dude. Assassination’s never a light topic.

Allahpundit on July 31, 2008 at 12:31 PM

With the Clinton Machine coming out of the huddle, I’d watch my back Barry.

Seriously.

cntrlfrk on July 31, 2008 at 12:32 PM

“But then, watching the video without the sound, and looking at it slowly, bit-by-bit……….”

…. in your underwear, sitting in your basement, in the middle of the night, whilst spreading mayonase all over your bottom, and selecting multiple objects to penetrate yourself.

Seven Percent Solution on July 31, 2008 at 12:33 PM

Follow the link for Zapruder-esque screencaps.

I really do appreciate the suggestion, but I really have no desire to lose I. Q. points. Have a nice afternoon.

Cordially,
BR

Branch Rickey on July 31, 2008 at 12:34 PM

Assassination’s never a light topic.

Didn’t Ludacris’ song call for someting like a paralyzed John McCain in a wheelchair? That made me think of the shooting of Larry Flynt. Wasn’t much upset at that comment, but I was hoping the Secret Service was going to interview Mr. Ludacris.

JiangxiDad on July 31, 2008 at 12:35 PM

Mccain called for the assasination of Ubama?

Wow!

They should pursue criminal charges.

SaintOlaf on July 31, 2008 at 12:35 PM

Mr. Ludacris.

JiangxiDad on July 31, 2008 at 12:35 PM

That was a good one. Mr.: Jiangxi made a funny. :)

Branch Rickey on July 31, 2008 at 12:37 PM

Left wing-nuts going CRAZY !.

Anita on July 31, 2008 at 12:39 PM

I have to drive over to the hardware store this morning to pick-up a couple of rolls of duct tape.

I use it to wrap tightly around my head to keep it from freaking exploding after reading all the horsesh*t from the Left lately, and I’ve run completely out.

Can I pick something up for any of you guys while I’m there?

1GooDDaDDy on July 31, 2008 at 12:39 PM

Branch Rickey on July 31, 2008 at 12:37 PM

;)

JiangxiDad on July 31, 2008 at 12:40 PM

The racism game is the main weapon that Obama has and it’s only now being pulled from the holster.

Highly predictable, yet it’s a no brainer for the “black” candidate to use the charge.

That’s politics.

mylegsareswollen on July 31, 2008 at 12:41 PM

Sarcasm, dude. Assassination’s never a light topic.

Allahpundit on July 31, 2008 at 12:31 PM

If its serious its never a light topic, but this sure as hell is. Its not talk about assassination, its trying to scare people into thinking McCain has sleeper cells.

I’m waiting for Barack to come out with the truther movement and say that he thinks McCain is part of the group who took the towers down.

Obama needs to let the real adults be pres. and he can go to P-Diddy’s partys and be the media star he really wants to be.

Rbastid on July 31, 2008 at 12:42 PM

Assassination’s never a light topic.

JiangxiDad on July 31, 2008 at 12:35 PM

Ludacris is a black man. He is oppressed, therefore, he can say, write and “sing” about any topic he chooses.
Gee, you must be white.

carbon_footprint on July 31, 2008 at 12:44 PM

I thought that this person was nuts, but then I watched it in slow motion and saw the puff of smoke from the grassy knoll. I knew I was onto something…I listened to the “pops” and they are actually m-16 rifle fire, the same dynamic wave length. Investigating even further, I played some of it backwards, that’s when it hit me….the direct reference to his assassination. But that’s no all, in the supposed yelling of Obama, Obama, one lady, you can see her mouth say “kill”, she was mouthing it, oh yes.
I am going to do more research…first I am going to take my pills, like my assistant has me do, then I will sleep in my special pajamas with the straps, like my assistant has me do. and when I wake up, I will continue with her (who knew Madame Curie would help me?), I know the truth now, I must tell the world.

right2bright on July 31, 2008 at 12:45 PM

Black people and the intelligencia love the race card…all the other Americans despise it for what it is.

right2bright on July 31, 2008 at 12:47 PM

Show him with white girls, get accused of racism for playing into a stereotype of black men only wanting white women, or committing crime against white women, or something.

Show him with black girls, get accused of racism for playing into a stereotype of blacks only sticking to each other.

Damned if you do, damned if you don’t.

Seixon on July 31, 2008 at 12:51 PM

I was wondering why I woke up from sleepwalking last night cleaning my sniper rifle with light gun oil.
Did the PuffHo blogger know the trigger word to make us conservative assassins carry out the subliminal commands from GOP headquarters? I’d like to get back to a regular sleep schedule.

/SARCASM

Right_of_Attila on July 31, 2008 at 12:53 PM

My wife has been waiting for the left to pull the assassination card ever since BO was presumed to have the nomination.

jmarcure on July 31, 2008 at 12:54 PM

English Bob – “Why not shoot a president?”

LimeyGeek on July 31, 2008 at 12:55 PM

Every black friend I’ve spoken to about Obama has brought up assassination. Not sure what the deal is there.

Dr. Manhattan on July 31, 2008 at 12:56 PM

Allah, racial hyper-sensitivity and paranoia has existed for decades. Whether alleged in good faith or not, a significant percentage of blacks in this country express a belief that whites and/or the government are out to get them, and will cry racism at the drop of a hat. I have personally seen racial motives ascribed to the most innocent of circumstances or utterances.

What disappoints me is that McCain has stated that he will not tolerate anything that looks like a racist slur against Obama, and has repeatedly denounced those supporters or surrogates who employ them. (e.g. “Hussein Obama.”) If Obama believes he’s a uniter and a “post-racial” candidate, he should reciprocate and should denounce his supporters who come out and accuse McCain and his campaign of racism for such specious garbage.

Outlander on July 31, 2008 at 12:58 PM

Killing Obama would turn him into a martyr for the left. Bad idea.
We still have people here in Minnesota who have Paul Wellstone bumper stickers on their cars.
It’s the last thing we need.

Pcoop on July 31, 2008 at 12:58 PM

I mean, you have to hand it to these “so called” Liberal elites.

Their consistency is simply amaziung.

They continually display that they are simply insipid boneheads.

And damnit, they seem to revel in it.

there it is on July 31, 2008 at 12:59 PM

Priceless…….

Isn’t there a Jonestown somewhere specializing in liberals? They need to go there for a huge pseduointellectual conference, and have a punch party. It could save the Unioted States.

Obama is all about image with no substance, and it is so obvious that even Stevie Wonder could see it. Obama is a perfect reverse barometer.

saiga on July 31, 2008 at 12:59 PM

True, but he’s also blogging at Barack Obama’s preferred blogging spot.

I have found some other shocking assassination allusions, though.
This one has brightly lit edges and a seemingly dead Sasha in Obama’s arms.

This one in the upper half of the page has a look as if Obama in in the midst of an explosion, his torso possibly severed from his body.

And finally, this one, the way the light is coming out of the stadium, looks like a call to bring explosives into the stadium.

It’s just sick.

MayBee on July 31, 2008 at 12:59 PM

You know, Huff Po Bloggers, you all need to clean your desk. You have to keep the bong away from your coffee, because it’s obvious to me when you’re drink your bongwater instead of your chi half double caf soy latte. I detect the kind of glaring logical inconsistencies in your ‘reasoning’ that only botched frontal lobotomy patients with crisscrossed shoelace scars on their sloped foreheads are capable of making. If I want the advice of a retard, I’ll slap you on the back of the head and wake up that little peg legged hamster that operates the drool-powered waterwheel of thought in there. Until then, sit in the corner and wait until I either speak to you or spit at you. What possessed you to think that you were capable of being entertaining or interesting to read? Do yourself and everyone else a favor: take a fatal overdose of your medication. Maybe you wouldn’t be such a Jerk-In-The-Box if your father didn’t screw a plant and raised a blooming idiot.

Mazztek on July 31, 2008 at 1:00 PM

Dr. Manhattan on July 31, 2008 at 12:56 PM

I’ve heard that from white people. I believe the campaign and/or George Soros is behind it. The idea is to associate Obama with RFK, who was a popular guy and who actually was the most conservative of the Kennedy triumvirate (Jack, Bobby and Teddy). The message is: “Obama is such a great man, and the last time we had such a great man run (RFK), he was assassinated… I bet it happens again. This country sucks!”

Outlander on July 31, 2008 at 1:00 PM

Un-fricken-believable.

What a bunch of morons. The lengths the left will go to to bash McCain is disgusting.

ugh

becki51758 on July 31, 2008 at 1:02 PM

Mazztek on July 31, 2008 at 1:00 PM

LMFAO

cntrlfrk on July 31, 2008 at 1:03 PM

I guess this may be the best opportunity for certain blacks to conjure up something new to whine about.

LimeyGeek on July 31, 2008 at 1:04 PM

When I read stuff like this I’m really torn as to whether liberalism is a mental disorder or whether liberals have the intellectual and analytical level of a 5 year old. I’m pretty sure that I may tend towards the later but I may have to think about it before I’m really sure. Then again maybe it’s both.

jmarcure on July 31, 2008 at 1:04 PM

If the Obama camp now tries to blame their racist insinuations on the “white women” commercial, McCain’s people can throw the knockout punch. Publicly say that the celebutard commercial was all about portraying Obama as not just lacking substance, but lacking class …and this desperate attempt to play the race card himself proves it.

That will drive even more attention to the commercial, which it now seems has set off “daisy” chain-reaction Obama campaign implosion.

econavenger on July 31, 2008 at 1:04 PM

Since Juan Mac has been urged to follow the Hillary playbook, doesn’t it follow that he’d be making veiled racist and assassination remarks.

rockhead on July 31, 2008 at 1:06 PM

I have never heard anything about assassination, except by the liberals. They are absolutely obsessed with it.
Very morbid.

right2bright on July 31, 2008 at 1:08 PM

Karl on July 31, 2008 at 12:28 PM

You are correct, Sir. Leftists’ #1 rhetorical technique to combat attacks on their ideology is to question the motives or integrity of the questioner. Obama and his supporters are leftists and are just using their tried-and-true technique. Obama can’t dispute that he’s for higher taxes, more welfare, and against finding new energy. Rather than defend his positions, he makes the story about McCain being a racist or someone who wants to assassinate his political foes. My experience with leftists in college and law school was to directly call them out on their tactic and watch them squirm. We must do the same to the leftists here.

Outlander on July 31, 2008 at 1:08 PM

Killing Obama would turn him into a martyr for the left.
Pcoop on July 31, 2008 at 12:58 PM

Well seeing how you brought it up first.
My wife thinks that is the plan. She keeps telling me that I should watch closely who the VP pick is because that is who the dems really want as president. The way she figures it, BO will win and then someone on the left will pop him off so that the new president can declare a national emergency and put boots on the ground to quell the racial violence that will ensue. This will basically be a way for the left to perform a major coup of the government and take over.

jmarcure on July 31, 2008 at 1:13 PM

MayBee on July 31, 2008 at 12:59 PM

Zing. Zing. Zing!

RushBaby on July 31, 2008 at 1:19 PM

That’s why Republicans always make assasination jokes, have people shooting pictures of Barak in their TV cartoon shows, (Family Guy – Lois Kills Stewie) wishes bombs would kill him or one of his people when he’s overseas – wait – my bad – that’s the Democraps and Bush. Nevermind.

foxforce91 on July 31, 2008 at 1:22 PM

Wow it isn’t even August yet, don’t they want to save some of this crazy conspiracy stuff for say late October :)

Dr Evil on July 31, 2008 at 1:26 PM

jmarcure on July 31, 2008 at 1:13 PM

Remove all sharp objects from the house…do not, I repeat, do not piss her off…

right2bright on July 31, 2008 at 1:31 PM

Well, I’m not sure it’s even a matter of simply “scoring points.” The current “enlightened” thinking is that if you are not a minority (i.e. you’re white) you are a de facto racist, since racism is now defined as white people oppressing minorities, historically and presently, as capitalists and colonialists.

Seen through that lens, there’s nothing that a white person can do or say that can’t be interpreted as racist — such as McCain’s video. Since most white people don’t spend a whole lot of time even thinking about race, it’s becoming a fairly disturbing realization that this attitude is so prevalent — among blacks in particular. You can argue it academically all day long, but the reality of what may happen come election day, and the warning signs issuing from Obama, who shows little regard for how much damage his tactics might inflict, are really disturbing.

Nichevo on July 31, 2008 at 1:32 PM

Reactions to this ad are more telling than the ad itself. Josh Marshall says it’s about fears of the black man taking white women:

“the McCain campaign is now pushing the caricature of Obama as a uppity young black man whose presumptuousness is displayed not only in taking on airs above his station but also in a taste for young white women.”

Quisp on July 31, 2008 at 1:35 PM

That is why all of my hats are modified Faraday cages.

jdkchem on July 31, 2008 at 1:59 PM

I stated yesterday that I had woken up in Bizarro World. I maintain that contention. This is not real; it can’t be real. This is a poorly written movie at best.

HawaiiLwyr on July 31, 2008 at 2:08 PM

Dr. Manhattan on July 31, 2008 at 12:56 PM

I have had some white friends (not that it matters) bring it up as well. I let them know to even think that way is flat out racism. Makes me ill when I hear it.

kahall on July 31, 2008 at 2:21 PM

Assasination jumped the shark, the video clearly shows that they are going to do the poison like the dude running in the commie country a few years ago; but instead of making him look like a pizza face, they will grow his ears to look like dumbo and he’ll have to resign in embarrassment.

My personal belief is that Hill & Bill are sipping brandy and smoking cigars with a small tight group of retired spooks and fat multinationals from their administration plotting how she’ll walk into the convention to take the coronation once Barry is out of the picture…for whatever reason.

Alden Pyle on July 31, 2008 at 2:37 PM

Huffpoo: noun or verb?

Wow, to get assassination from that ad is quite a reach. My guess is that they’ve confused the sound of camera shutters with gun shots. Perhaps they’re just projecting?…DUH!

Christine on July 31, 2008 at 2:49 PM

If BO dies at the hand of a white man, (after Jesse takes his stones), then America must come down!
Again, I think that the HuffPo blogger wants McCain to die, therefore he projects assassination on Obamessiah.

Christine on July 31, 2008 at 2:53 PM

Dr Evil on July 31, 2008 at 1:26 PM

No need. Their supply of crazy is like windpower or solar; limitless and renewable.

RDuke on July 31, 2008 at 3:03 PM

So, by their logic, every fireworks display can be interpreted as an endorsement for nuclear war.

Idiots.

madmonkphotog on July 31, 2008 at 3:05 PM

Wow. Just… wow.

Camera flashes = Gunfire???

Tastes like a double serving of stupid, slathered in moron sauce and served with a side of dumb.

Hollowpoint on July 31, 2008 at 3:34 PM

Wow. Here’s another loon who sees all sorts of subliminal, nefarious, racist intent in the Paris/Britney ad:

This vicious, nasty, disgusting ad is about the black mens and the white womens. And how the former ain’t supposed to touch the latter. It’s about a threat to the white womens! Rape! Why else juxtapose two comely young white ladies in striking profile shots against the vaguely threatening, kinda shadowy image of a black man, with sorta scary chanting in the background. That chanting has a purpose, too – it says the black man has somehow bewitched the white folk and fooled them with his mystical savage black powers somehow. This is so freakin’ 19th century. Is Nathan Bedford Forrest McCain’s Veep-pick?

I’ve never heard of this paranoid moonbat’s blog, but the hat tip goes to Memeorandum.

Buy Danish on July 31, 2008 at 3:52 PM

The Obama camp has been trying to push this assassination crap for months. It’s pretty sick thinking that goes this route just to get attention. Considering the left’s BDS, our side had more to worry about in this regard.

Connie on July 31, 2008 at 4:03 PM

The racism that runs all through conservatism is obvious to anyone with race consciousness, but to those of us whose consciousness has not been raised, it is as invisible as the air we move in. The only way to know that you are not a racist is to truly want to vote for Obama. If you don’t, you are a blind, hopeless bigot and shouldn’t be allowed to take part in the civic discourse, much less the election.

So, there is no need for more than one candidate for President, just like in Cuba, China, North Korea, Vietnam and all of the other places in the world where the leadership doesn’t labor under the burden of false consciousness.

Not much of a stretch, is it?

jl on July 31, 2008 at 4:05 PM

“Quick Draw” Obama Challenges McCain To “Duel” (Updated with McCain response)

Obama’s the one thats bringing up assassination against McCain!

this is the second time that Obama has referenced a gun and using it again McCain…. (“If McCain brings a knife i;m gonna bring a gun” Obama has said in the past)

Now this…
———-

SPRINGFIELD, MO –

“Wild Bill Hickock,” Obama said.

“I was reading on the way over here that he had his first duel in the town square here in Springfield..”

“Now, I don’t know if people are aware of the fact… and I have not done … the research… Family legend is that Wild Bill Hickock is a distant cousin of mine.”

“I’m serious. I’m serious. I don’t know if it’s true…”

“We’re gonna research that. Because I’m ready to duel John McCain on taxes.”

He pantomimed a quick draw.

“A quick draw….” he said.

Chakra Hammer on July 31, 2008 at 4:13 PM

Connie on July 31, 2008 at 4:03 PM

Obama out of his own mouth has on two occasions brought up assassinating John McCain…

“Quick Draw” Obama Challenges McCain To “Duel” (Updated with McCain response)

and here

That’s exactly what Barack Obama said he would do to counter Republican attacks “If they bring a knife to the fight, we bring a gun,” Obama said at a Philadelphia fundraiser Friday night.

Oh yea, Obama’s all about unity..

Chakra Hammer on July 31, 2008 at 4:19 PM

*groan*

ThePrez on July 31, 2008 at 4:42 PM

McCain’s Britney ad actually a secret call for assassination

I thought he was warning Obama to always wear underwear!

landlines on July 31, 2008 at 8:16 PM

The article looks and reads like something one of the paranoia laden whack-jobs at DKos would post up.

I’m sure that’s more than likely not a coincidence.

SilverStar830 on July 31, 2008 at 8:53 PM

Vanceone on July 31, 2008 at 12:30 PM

Have you heard Paris’ CD? It’s worse.

leftnomore on August 1, 2008 at 1:42 AM