Hope and change: Obama loses eight points in four days

posted at 2:13 pm on July 31, 2008 by Allahpundit

One thin percent is all that’s left of the lead, putting him back where he was on July 17 before Peace Tour ’08 kicked off. Remember, Gallup put out conflicting polls a few days ago, one showing Barry O ahead comfortably among a big sample of registered voters and McCain, surprisingly, holding a four-point lead among a smaller sample of likelies. The thinking at the time was that the data would probably align a bit more over the next few days. Which it’s doing — but not in the way most people expected.

That’s not the only good poll news, either. Obama’s leads in Ohio, Florida, and Pennsylvania are also down, and are within the margin of error in the first two states. And according to Rasmussen, 30% of conservative Democrats already intend to vote for Maverick, which isn’t an especially impressive number when you consider that only 18% of Dems overall identify as “conservative” but bodes well, perhaps, for future gains in the center as Barry’s glow fades. The usual caveat that it’s still too early to read much into any of these still applies, but surely they mean something given (a) the sky-high expectations for Obamamania coming out of the primary, (b) the Democrats’ huge generic advantage this year, (c) the fact that Republicans traditionally trail by a decent margin at this point in the campaign, and (d) most bizarrely, the conventional wisdom that McCain’s had an exceedingly crappy 10 days or so of campaigning. Your exit question, then: What’s going on? Are the negative ads more effective than anyone realizes? Did the skipped troop visit at Landstuhl resonate more widely than thought? Or is the perception of presumptuousness starting to grate? That last point hasn’t been declared racist by Minitruth yet, but it’s only a matter of time. Herewith, then, a journey into racism with David Letterman:

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Came off creepy imo.

JiangxiDad on July 31, 2008 at 3:28 PM

That’s because she’s creepier than Mrs. Heinz, who was just weird, very weird. This one will make a good mask for Halloween this year. So will Obama and McCain, the candidates.

Entelechy on July 31, 2008 at 3:31 PM

I think that you may be projecting yet again. You should probably have a professional check that out. Modern medicine can sometimes do wonders. You will never know unless you try.

MB4 on July 31, 2008 at 3:22 PM

So you say you do not incessantly post anti-McCain comments? How many disparaging comments regarding McCain, 1,000 or more?
I think 1,000 disparaging posts about one man is sufficient to say the word “obsessed”.

right2bright on July 31, 2008 at 3:33 PM

[..] 30% of conservative Democrats already intend to vote for Maverick, which isn’t an especially impressive number when you consider that only 18% of Dems overall identify as “conservative” but bodes well..

Huh – This is only a poll but that’s a pretty impressive number no? These are full democrats they are talking about, not independents, of which he also has a nice slice. Is Obama going to capture 6% of the Repuplican party.. if so, that might be big trouble. Maybe I’m reading this one wrong, but if you tell axelrod he’s going to lose about 6% of the party on top of crucial swing independents I think he might pee his pants if that number grows.

Now I know why they floated Joe, if that went to 50 or 60% of the 18% this election could be over imho. They can still hold the Evangelical vote if Lieberman pledges to carry McCain’s social issues for the full term (re: abortion & border), he’s already pretty ok on Judges, did not philibuster alito, or try to stop Roberts and is somewhat fiscally conservative on taxes, small business oriented / free trader and he doesn’t oppose handguns).

So I think the Islam is a threat in our time message would appeal to Evangelicals, and also he might appeal to social conservatives with a pledge on abortion.. because Orthodox Judaism is very conservative, almost a mirror of social conservatives, Joe differs on Abortion & stem cells from orthodox positions which is where he’d have to pledge.

Seeing that number, the float joe makes a lot more sense to me now. As far as I can see from the last few months here, McCain is not getting the paul nuts or the more conservative than conservatives in any case.

Sure to piss some people off with this comment, but please don’t rail me here folks, I’m saying it makes more sense to me, meaning I understand the strategy.

saus on July 31, 2008 at 3:34 PM

McCain’s arrogance and hatred of the GOP base is going to cost him the election. You heard it here first.
highhopes on July 31, 2008 at 3:11 PM

I don’t disagree with your assessment of McCain’s negatives, it may just come down to who is more arrogant and dismissive of Americans in general.

If Obama continues on the academic/academic-brainwashed/black/non-assimilated track, those will be the only votes he’ll get. McCain will get the rest.

Who will have the electoral college majority might very well hinge on voter fraud. (See Nixon/Chicago, Texas, 1960; ACORN, et al).

Nichevo on July 31, 2008 at 3:35 PM

No, it’s not “sufficient” nor called for, nor to call others “miserable”, “lonely”, “depressed” or whatever some of you attack others to be, without knowing them, and to which end?

He’re your perfect attack line, based on facts:

If you’d have stopped there, you’d have a perfect argument, statistically sound and proven, right here on HA.

Entelechy on July 31, 2008 at 3:37 PM

Save your uncritical and unthinking bile for all the “haters” prepared to say told-ya-so when McCain’s liberal agenda destroys this nation and the GOP. Like it or not, social conservatives and evangelicals are going to be shopping around in four years to prevent another miscarriage of the political process that allowed McCain to slither to the top of the Republican ticket.

highhopes on July 31, 2008 at 3:31 PM

Granted in four years, but your answer right now for this election is???
That’s the dilemma, what to do now that will help in 4 years…getting Obama elected will be for 8 years.

right2bright on July 31, 2008 at 3:37 PM

Sorry, s/b “Here’s your perfect attack line”

Entelechy on July 31, 2008 at 3:38 PM

I try to steer clear of attacking his person, at least not intentionally. If I did/do, I apologize right here/now. That rule applies to all on the net, or at least should anyway.

Entelechy on July 31, 2008 at 3:30 PM

But you must envision people sometimes. For ex, I see MB4 as the deceased British actor, James Mason, neat and compact and controlled, in rural Oregon. You E, are the elegant Merryl Streep in Sophies Choice. Strangely, I have pictures in my mind for many of the people I talk to here. My wife laughs at me for my online “friends.”

JiangxiDad on July 31, 2008 at 3:39 PM

sorry. OT.

JiangxiDad on July 31, 2008 at 3:39 PM

Entelechy on July 31, 2008 at 3:37 PM

Thanks…but he is still obsessed and I find it quite interesting…
Now back to the blog.
Who can Obama now pick as his VP, it won’t be Hillary, no matter what. If he had a choice he would choose his wife, can’t do that.
I think he has to go for a “second tier” democrat, and that will hurt him. Feinstein?

right2bright on July 31, 2008 at 3:41 PM

Michelle made a speech or two in Florida while hubby was in Europe. I read something about it–maybe at Ace’s. Said something like she was overburdened by being a woman, and could make good decisions using just 70% of her attention–something weird like that, and that there’s always the children to have to consider just when you’re trying to get something accomplished. Came off creepy imo.

JiangxiDad on July 31, 2008 at 3:28 PM

Michelle O: ‘I Could Be Very Competent Putting in 70%’

Brat on July 31, 2008 at 3:41 PM

Sorry, s/b “Here’s your perfect attack line”

Entelechy on July 31, 2008 at 3:38 PM

Got it, grammar is way secondary on these posts to ideas.

right2bright on July 31, 2008 at 3:42 PM

JiangxiDad on July 31, 2008 at 3:39 PM

I order you to change that picture. I look more like Ingrid Bergman, high cheecks, hair, et all. My mother looked just like her, but had green eyes. The thought of resembling Streep is scary. The thought of thinking like her is even scarier.

p.s. I think of you as this good-looking, erudite, layed back, intellectual, romantic Austrian :)

Entelechy on July 31, 2008 at 3:43 PM

saus on July 31, 2008 at 3:34 PM

Curiously, Lieberman is the first jewish guy I have ever heard of named Joe.

JiangxiDad on July 31, 2008 at 3:44 PM

Entelechy on July 31, 2008 at 3:43 PM

Ingrid Bergman-damn!! And you do not have to change your vision of me. Your superior intelligence pegged me perfectly.

JiangxiDad on July 31, 2008 at 3:47 PM

Got it, grammar is way secondary on these posts to ideas.

right2bright on July 31, 2008 at 3:42 PM

r2b, we agree 100% on the Obama versus McCain dilemma. I can’t even conceive handing over this still wonderful country to a would be World Child Emperor. In 4-8 years the socialism/Marxism, with the influence of an anarchyst wife, will be irreversible. I know some of our compadres here have way more idealism and hope in them. I don’t. I see an extreme danger in this man, to the country, to the world, to freedom, to liberty, to sanity, to race relations. At the end of him the U.S. w/b the same “just another country” as all others in the West.

I hold out hope that the sane Americans do understand this, instinctively. If not, we deserve him. Every populace deserves its leaders.

Entelechy on July 31, 2008 at 3:47 PM

Brat on July 31, 2008 at 3:41 PM

Thank you very much. I was being a little lazy.

JiangxiDad on July 31, 2008 at 3:47 PM

right2bright on July 31, 2008 at 3:41 PM

Sibelius? or some white guy.

Entelechy on July 31, 2008 at 3:48 PM

I’m dying to see that “whitey” tape. It is coming, isn’t it? Larry wouldn’t let us all down, would he?

Seixon on July 31, 2008 at 3:50 PM

highhopes on July 31, 2008 at 3:11 PM

It’s not his hatred, it is his distrust of the GOP, come on they kept that idiot in Alaska around, they kept the fool in Florida around. They earmark as much as the Dems, they grow the gov. as much as the Dems…he just has his agenda, and it doesn’t match up with the beltways agenda. I don’t like some of the things, but he doesn’t do them because he “hates” the Republicans.
Listen, the power is changing in the Republican (like the Dems), it was a few years ago controlled by the religious right, there influence in waning. There needs to be a gap filled, so he, for right now, is filling that gap. We need to come up in four years with a plank that in all inclusive. That shows minorities they have a better life with out platform, that we care about the environment (we have kids, we live in it), energy can be ours for the taking, we can maintain family values, faithful values, and limit the fed gov.
But we can’t do that this election…that is a fact. But I will be damned if I will allow the Dems to take this and then make us suffer for 8 years.

right2bright on July 31, 2008 at 3:50 PM

Seixon, plus in October, of this year, the ‘esteemed’ Rev. Wright will bring his book out. It s/b fun.

Entelechy on July 31, 2008 at 3:51 PM

JiangxiDad on July 31, 2008 at 3:47 PM

You are very welcome. I had seen it too but couldn’t remember where until I searched. Didn’t think it had been here on HotAir.

They have kept her quite muzzled lately, eh? Way earlier in the campaign than Tah-Ray-Zah Ketchup was in 2004.

Brat on July 31, 2008 at 3:56 PM

right2bright on July 31, 2008 at 3:41 PM

Sibelius? or some white guy.

Entelechy on July 31, 2008 at 3:48 PM

Whomever it is, will be someone that has no real name, he has basically run out of high profile that are suitable. Frank, Wexler, Pelosi, Reid, Conyers, Rockefeller, Schumer? Anyone of press are losers.

right2bright on July 31, 2008 at 3:56 PM

Came off creepy imo.

JiangxiDad on July 31, 2008 at 3:28 PM

Creepy is a pretty good word to describe her (to say the least).

It’s hilarious to watch her attempt to keep her composure and contain her extreme, rabid hatred of the white devils throughout this campaign.

SaintOlaf on July 31, 2008 at 3:57 PM

There needs to be a gap filled,

I’ve long seen John McCain’s potential Presidency as being a “caretaker” position, while the occupant is away– for 4 years.

JiangxiDad on July 31, 2008 at 3:57 PM

If it’s true that he’s losing his public appeal, then PLEASE keep talking, Barack!

maverick muse on July 31, 2008 at 3:58 PM

Tah-Ray-Zah Ketchup

My laptop is shaking from laughing :)

JiangxiDad on July 31, 2008 at 4:00 PM

Instead of packing that huge stadium, he might have to go back to holding his speech at the high school gym. At least he can shoot a three pointer.

Travis1 on July 31, 2008 at 4:01 PM

SaintOlaf on July 31, 2008 at 3:57 PM

But she is a familiar “type,” so easy to deal with and understand. Her husband was a tougher nut to crack, at first. Many still can’t. But apparently they’re starting to.

JiangxiDad on July 31, 2008 at 4:02 PM

Feinstein?

right2bright on July 31, 2008 at 3:41 PM

Nah, the media have kept this under wraps, but she’s got lots of ethical problems with her filthy rich husband’s company having been ‘appointed’ to audit the Medicare over-payments to hospitals all over California. Imagine that? Conflict of interest? It was all commission-based and he stuffed his pockets. California threw him out now, but it’s being kept pretty hush hush. Google “RAC” “Medicare” “Feingold husband” “California”, for example.

Most of them in office seem corrupt and we should be able to clean house. Unfortunately, we won’t.

Entelechy on July 31, 2008 at 4:03 PM

Also today, the Obama campaign asked former rival Hillary Rodham Clinton to be the keynote speaker at the Democratic National Convention, according to a former Clinton staffer, thus effectively ending hopes for a “dream ticket” between the two.

unseen on July 31, 2008 at 4:05 PM

Someone mentioned Carolyn Kennedy for O, here on HA. It’s a possibility, but will only excite those who’re already holdign tight to his crotch.

Entelechy on July 31, 2008 at 4:05 PM

Like I said, people don’t trust him. Check out the video of this 18-year old talking to McCain:

18 Year-Old WI Woman Tells McCain, “Obama Terrifies Me”

Listen to the crowd’s reaction.

TheBigOldDog on July 31, 2008 at 4:05 PM

18 Year-Old WI Woman Tells McCain, “Obama Terrifies Me”
TheBigOldDog on July 31, 2008 at 4:05 PM

awesome, thx!

saus on July 31, 2008 at 4:09 PM

TheBigOldDog on July 31, 2008 at 4:05 PM

He terrifies me also. BHO reminds me of Chevez

unseen on July 31, 2008 at 4:10 PM

Listen to the crowd’s reaction.

TheBigOldDog on July 31, 2008 at 4:05 PM

It was a weird mixed-message for me. First she implies she wants ABO (anybody but Obama), then she says “we need you, only you.” Huh?

JiangxiDad on July 31, 2008 at 4:13 PM

JiangxiDad on July 31, 2008 at 4:13 PM

I just think she realizes we are down to two.

TheBigOldDog on July 31, 2008 at 4:14 PM

then she says “we need you, only you.” Huh?

JiangxiDad on July 31, 2008 at 4:13 PM

She’s just being polite.

progressoverpeace on July 31, 2008 at 4:14 PM

TheBigOldDog on July 31, 2008 at 4:14 PM

yes out of 300 million this is the best we got. That terrifies me also.

unseen on July 31, 2008 at 4:15 PM

She’s just being polite.

progressoverpeace on July 31, 2008 at 4:14 PM

She went to his campaign rally. That’s more than polite. I am really curious what an 18 year old sees in McCain.

JiangxiDad on July 31, 2008 at 4:17 PM

I am really curious what an 18 year old sees in McCain.

JiangxiDad on July 31, 2008 at 4:17 PM

Security. Stability. Sanity.

TheBigOldDog on July 31, 2008 at 4:19 PM

I am really curious what an 18 year old sees in McCain.

JiangxiDad on July 31, 2008 at 4:17 PM

She’s obviously a racist.

SaintOlaf on July 31, 2008 at 4:19 PM

She went to his campaign rally. That’s more than polite.

Very true.

I am really curious what an 18 year old sees in McCain.

JiangxiDad on July 31, 2008 at 4:17 PM

I defer to TheBigOldDog at 4:14pm

progressoverpeace on July 31, 2008 at 4:20 PM

JiangxiDad on July 31, 2008 at 3:57 PM

Me too. Whenever I think about having to vote for McCain, and my stomach begins to churn with that queasy feeling, I just remind myself that it’s only for four years — and it has to be done to keep the Obamanation out of the presidency for the next 8 or 10 or however many years he’s planning on — and then maybe we can get somebody in the Oval Office who is actually qualified to be there.

It’s not much, but it’s all I’ve got.

AZCoyote on July 31, 2008 at 4:22 PM

18 Year-Old WI Woman Tells McCain, “Obama Terrifies Me”

Listen to the crowd’s reaction.

TheBigOldDog on July 31, 2008 at 4:05 PM

I heard Dick Morris tell O’Reilly that McCain’s strateeegery should be to make people afraid of Obama. Must be working.

Brat on July 31, 2008 at 4:26 PM

Curiously, Lieberman is the first jewish guy I have ever heard of named Joe.

About the only Joseph’s I know today were given the family name. We have some in our family. And we had a friend named Joseph Lowenstein, WWII vet.

Joseph, once a most popular traditional name for 19th Century American baby boys through mid-20th Century, just isn’t the most popular name these days, too old fashioned and over used. Plus, girls started getting named Jo or Mary Jo a lot more frequently than before. But since the name’s been rarified, that only means it will come back into vogue sometime or other.

Following WWII, those American Jewish families wanting to emphasize their ethnicity went for choices Gentiles hadn’t contaminated, Jerome or Solomon for example. And those Jewish families avoiding Jewish traditions chose names that have no biblical reference. But there are yet those special baby boys given the family name of Joseph.

maverick muse on July 31, 2008 at 4:26 PM

Obama/Cheney ’08

Let’s not all get drunk on July poll numbers…..but what the hell, beer is on Gallup and Rasmussen!

This race has bounced around so much over the last 8 months. The only sure bet right now is that the race will keep going up, down, sideways, and backasswards. McCain will be caught at Taco Bell tomorrow and be declared Red public Enemy number one again.

Limerick on July 31, 2008 at 4:31 PM

Herewith, then, a journey into racism with David Letterman:

I love this place. :)

ThePrez on July 31, 2008 at 4:39 PM

I said it in one of the Picks above, but I will say it again:

It’s because of Maverick’s mavericky-ness that he’s going as far as he is. Highhopes’s perfect conservative would have been effectively demonized by the liberals and their media buddies as a puppy-raping monster in the pay of the eeevil Religious ReiKKKh KKKonspiracy. That way, the squishy liberals will be more afraid of Pat Robertson than their doubts about Obamajebus. Also, if people are primed to believe bad things about a politician, the standard for what constitutes a scandal becomes much lower.

Because Maverick will occasionally defy his party, the lefties couldn’t afford to give McCain the demonization treatment up till now. If they haven’t spent years and years treating McCain as a crazy snake-kisser, it’s harder to make stupid stuff stick to him. Squishy Democrats see him a lot more sympathetically.

This is not an election that can be won by having our base come out in better number than theirs. This is a strategy of only limited usefulness.

Sekhmet on July 31, 2008 at 4:39 PM

right2bright on July 31, 2008 at 3:50 PM

The problem with your analysis is the assumption that McCain can even win. He doesn’t offer a clear alternative to Obama, is old, and doesn’t have the GOP base united behind his candidacy. An electorate with the choice of casting a “historic” vote or electing the “prehistoric” moderate are going to vote for Obama.

The real question for Republicans like me that are disenfranchised by the left wing of the GOP and clearly unwelcome with the party is whether in 2012 to stick around with the party of John McCain or strike out and form a new political coalition centered around traditional values and politicians who don’t give the middle finger to a significant portion of their base whenever they go on the campaign trail.

highhopes on July 31, 2008 at 4:40 PM

About the only Joseph’s I know today were given the family name

Hadn’t considered it could have been a family name. Thanks.

JiangxiDad on July 31, 2008 at 4:40 PM

Limerick on July 31, 2008 at 4:31 PM

McCain/Kerry ’08

John McCain nearly bolted the GOP in 2004. Why not reverse the order this time around?

highhopes on July 31, 2008 at 4:41 PM

TheBigOldDog on July 31, 2008 at 4:05 PM

That was great! A young person with a mind and not drawn into the Obamaniacs.

becki51758 on July 31, 2008 at 4:47 PM

Entelechy on July 31, 2008 at 4:03 PM

I think the white house cut a deal with her. She has said very little against Bush since her scandal broke out.
No facts, just that she sat down and shut up for months after the bidding scandal, and she still is very cautious about attacking Bush. Before that scandal she was on the attack with Pelosi and Boxer.
Just a theory, maybe my only conspiracy theory I have.

right2bright on July 31, 2008 at 4:53 PM

highhopes on July 31, 2008 at 4:40 PM

I get it, understand it, nothing wrong with your thinking that. Where I think the logic breaks down is, where many think taking back a white house is easy. It isn’t, you have to count on a major goof like Carter, otherwise it is 8 years. Even scandal ridden Clinton made the 8 years. NO matter what happens this next four years, it will be Bush’s “fault”.
McCains energy policy now alone sets him apart, along with his fiscal constraints. They are totally different, McCain and Obama, totally, no comparison, except on the horrible immigration stance.
I am not to concerned about age, he will run for one term. That gives us time to prime the pump for the right candidate.
I don’t want to gamble with this election, others maybe like you, feel the gamble is worth it.

right2bright on July 31, 2008 at 5:00 PM

highhopes on July 31, 2008 at 4:41 PM

That’s not true. This is what democrats claim, and is the current talking points around here by the same anti-McCain people – but it’s a lie.

Despite his respect for Kerry, McCain didn’t want to abandon his party and wasn’t sure the idea was workable, the officials said. Thus, he told Kerry within the last two weeks there would be no need to ask him again to consider the job, they said.

wise_man on July 31, 2008 at 5:06 PM

Hope and change: Obama loses eight points in four days

FauxBama is a slow, target rich opponent, and it would a shame if the McCain campaign didn’t take advantage of the Messiah’s arrogance!

byteshredder on July 31, 2008 at 5:41 PM

Wise-man,

McCain respects people who most Republican voters despise. That is a problem and calls his judgment into question.

JiangxiDad on July 31, 2008 at 5:43 PM

highhppes:

I have never heard McCain say anything as hateful about the GOP base as you say about him. The fact that he does not say how high when you say jump does not mean he hates anyone.

And no, he did not nearly bolt the GOP. Democrats made that claim and people such as yourself who supposedly detest the left just ate it up. You would believe anything anyone said if it could be a negative about McCain.

It is weird.

Terrye on July 31, 2008 at 5:44 PM

JiangXDad:

Are you saying that McCain is not supposed to respect people he disagrees with? Once I saw a picture of George Bush helping Robert Byrd to his seat. The older man was having difficulties. I think he did that out of respect, but that does not mean they are politically aligned in anyway.

And I remember at the time that McCain shot down that whole turning Democrat rumor, but some people have their own reasons for keeping it alive.

BTW, Ronald Reagan actually was a Democrat at one time, and he always treated the opposition with respect. He was too much of a gentleman to do otherwise.

Terrye on July 31, 2008 at 5:47 PM

Maybe the polls are going the way they are because McCain did not do as badly as some pundits said, and Obama did not do as well as the media claimed he did. Socalled experts have been wrong before.

Terrye on July 31, 2008 at 5:49 PM

Why is it when Obama plummets in the polls it only goes so far until he is just ahead by one mere point, and then it comes to a screeching halt before it would have started showing McCain being in the lead instead.

I find that very suspicious.

Lincoln on July 31, 2008 at 5:55 PM

Wise-man, Where is the second quote from? Why does McCain respect Kerry (and Pelosi and Hillary and so many other liberal Democrats). Why do you think Kerry approached McCain with some request/offer?

JiangxiDad on July 31, 2008 at 5:43 PM

The quote is from USA Today. 6/12/2004 3:05 AM

McCain probably respects his colleagues in the senate. If i was in the senate, I would probably despise them and not get anything done, not be able to do anything but vote, and never get asked to join a committee as long as the democrats were in power.

In my opinion, it does not call his judgment in question. For reference, please read this and this as the reasoning and possible explanation as to McCain’s decision to say these things.

wise_man on July 31, 2008 at 5:59 PM

Terrye on July 31, 2008 at 5:47 PM

Yes, indeed.

wise_man on July 31, 2008 at 6:01 PM

Are you saying that McCain is not supposed to respect people he disagrees with?

Terrye: I think somebody ought to have knocked Byrd’s walker out from under him. I don’t respect Kerry or Pelosi–I hate them. I respect some people here I disagree with, but I can’t think of any democrat politicians I know that I respect. I don’t respect any of my family members who are democrats– which is every single one. And if they’re conservative democrats, then I don’t respect them for allying themselves with radical left loons, and a party that wants to refashion America into some image that leaves me chilled.

JiangxiDad on July 31, 2008 at 6:05 PM

wise_man on July 31, 2008 at 5:59 PM

I am civil to everyone. I respect a few people. It’s a weak argument to make that because he works with them he has to respect them.

Regular people know what respect means, and the difference between that and being civil and polite with people at work.

JiangxiDad on July 31, 2008 at 6:09 PM

right2bright on July 31, 2008 at 3:33 PM

Just curious, would 1,000 complimentary posts abount one man be sufficient to use the word “obsessed” as well?

EJDolbow on July 31, 2008 at 6:11 PM

JiangxiDad on July 31, 2008 at 6:05 PM

Do you respect Zell Miller?

Ronald Reagan was a democrat. Would you have respected him before he became a republican?

I certainly don’t respect the sub-humans at MoveOn PAC, or the huffington Post, or Kos. Or the majority of the bottom feeding liberals in the media such as the New York Times. They are the enemy. In my opinion. When I graduated, I meet a democrat senator from my state. I took the diploma, smiled and said “thank you senator.” I respected the office. I didn’t take that opportunity to disagree with them about their vote that month.

All I want you to do is consider the possibility that McCain said this to be civil. I don’t think that he’s going over to the Pelosi house to watch a blockbuster movie. He can say nice things about them, and then do what he can to oppose them. It’s the people like Pelosi. miss nine percent approval rating who can call the president of the united states a loser and get away with it. Because she is a democrat. And slime. But If i meet her, I might respect her office, while I despise the person.

wise_man on July 31, 2008 at 6:22 PM

What’s going on? Are the negative truth ads more effective than anyone realizes? Did the skipped troop visit at Landstuhl resonate more widely than thought?

Both of the above!

jerrytbg on July 31, 2008 at 6:27 PM

I find that very suspicious.

Lincoln on July 31, 2008 at 5:55 PM

that is interesting isn’t it… could it be they (polsters) change the questions when it started to get close…just asking.

jerrytbg on July 31, 2008 at 6:35 PM

Something is definitely going on. McCain’s intrade is up to 37.

redneck hippie on July 31, 2008 at 7:07 PM

In the military, they have a saying (I’m paraphrasing): “Salute the uniform, not the man [or woman] inside it.” I’m sure that Mr. McCain, being a career military man, has internalized that value to the point that it’s unconscious.

OTOH, I work at a defense installation. Back when Slick Willie was in orifice, a directive went out from the command directing all personnel to cease making “derogatory remarks about the Commander in Chief” (i.e. telling/e-mailing Clinton jokes). I’m certain that if he had visited, everyone would have given him an outward show of respect — but that’s all it would have been. :-)

Mary in LA on July 31, 2008 at 8:11 PM

wise_man on July 31, 2008 at 5:06 PM

That a “Republican” was chummy enough with McCain that the issue was even broached is all that matters. That McCain didn’t immediately reject it is all that matters to prove he was thinking of bolting the party. Not lies but inconvenient truths that idiot loyalists like you keep glossing over in an attempt to make McCain less detestable than he is.

highhopes on July 31, 2008 at 8:16 PM

Terrye on July 31, 2008 at 5:44 PM

I’m not hateful, I’m a critic. There is a huge difference that must be lost on people like you. I’m angry that McCain got the nomination and I’m voicing the values of the part of the party that McCain has vowed to reform out of existence- you know us social conservatives and evangelicals. Do you hate social conservatives too? Do you detest those of us who openly express our faith?

Here’s a tip for you. If you want to support McCain spend some time attacking Obama instead of attacking critics like me. People like you are not going to get me to shut up when I see areas where McCain should be taken to task and I’m sick of you morons demanding I do so- as if I don’t have the right to my opinion. You are perfectly welcome to continue being a fool but I demand you knock off telling me that I’m not entitled to voice concerns about a vile human being who rarely reflects my views.

Got it? You have no right to tell me not to voice my opinions! Shame on you!!! McCain deserves to surround himself with useless uncritical creatures like you!

highhopes on July 31, 2008 at 8:23 PM

Mary in LA on July 31, 2008 at 8:11 PM

A minor point but McCain is not a career military man. He served honorably in the Navy for a number of years but he didn’t make it his career (as his father had).

highhopes on July 31, 2008 at 8:25 PM

highhopes on July 31, 2008 at 8:16 PM

I wouldn’t be so overreaching as to think that I could ever convince any good hotair commenter here that McCain was less than completely detestable.

After all, it’s just this nation’s fate for the next 4 years with Barack Obama at the helm with the democrats in control of the legislative, thats all.

Not a big deal. NOthing to concern yourselves with.

wise_man on July 31, 2008 at 8:28 PM

Terrye,

Most of us critics would be happy if McCain showed his own party and party members the kind of respect and support he shows democrats. It’s not about being uncivil but respecting the people that put you in power. McCain has gone out of his way to disenfranchise and alienate social conservatives and evangelicals.

And for the hundreth time, McCain was considering bolting from the GOP in 2004. I’m not sure why you are so defensive on the subject because he didn’t and it doesn’t matter one way or the other this time around. McCain managed to slither to the top of the pile by a fixed primary process designed to keep the social conservatives at each others throats until Rudy or cranky old bastard won the nomination. The nation in effect gets two Democrats this time around thanks to hate-filled bigots like you.

highhopes on July 31, 2008 at 8:31 PM

highhopes on July 31, 2008 at 8:25 PM

If you mean that it wasn’t his career because it wasn’t the only thing he did in his life, I see your point. But AFAIK (military members, please correct me if I’m wrong!) serving until you retire (20 years or more) is definitionally “career military”. Mr. McCain was on active duty in the Navy from 1958 to 1981, not counting his years at the Naval Academy. That’s 23 years of active duty. My late father served 20 years in the Army and thus was “career military”, even though after that, he was a medical doctor in private practice for 40 years! (My mother, on the other hand, served in the Marines (enlisted) and the Army (officer) for only 16 years, therefore she wasn’t “career military”. :-) )

But I do take your point. We only differ on semantics, I think.

BTW, I really wish you wouldn’t tag all McCain supporters as “hate-filled bigots.” It’s not true. McCain was not my guy in the primaries. My mom, however, supported him precisely because he was the candidate with the most military experience. She respects him, as a fellow war veteran (different wars, though — she served in WWII and the Korean War). She believed that of all the Republican field, he would do the best job prosecuting the war, and that was her biggest issue. So don’t call my mom a hate-filled bigot, thankyouverymuch!!!

Mary in LA on July 31, 2008 at 8:58 PM

Jokes about Obama?

WhaaaaaaaAAAAA?!

*head explodes*

viking999 on July 31, 2008 at 9:28 PM

I think McCain’s numbers are improving because he’s running ads in places he skipped after he wrapped up the nomination. Here in Ohio, TV time was too expensive during the primary and the Hillary / Obama ad war. McCain has run a lot of them lately, and I’m surprised to say I think they are effective.

Hammertime on July 31, 2008 at 11:30 PM