Video: The Power of Prayer … on Power?

posted at 12:27 pm on July 30, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

I believe in the power of prayer, but this is a little ridiculous. A Washington DC man has founded the “Pray at the Pump” movement, which he claims has “exploded all over the world” — even getting press in Iran, about which he brags with no sense of irony. Watch them as they pray for lower gas prices:

Prayer is a wonderful tool, but prayer alone doesn’t add supply to the market. When Fox asks whether they do anything else other than pray, the founder says they take action, too — asking members to carpool, walk, and in general do everything they can to lower demand.  As for increasing supply, the Pump Prayers have taken action as well … by standing in front of the Saudi embassy to beg for more gruel oil.  Why would that work?  He thinks the Saudis have to take pity on the poor.

What solution doesn’t get any mention?  Take three guesses.  I guess God can move the Saudis to generosity, but no one thinks He can lead Congress to sanity.

Comments

We got to PRAY… and PAY! We got to PRAY… and PAY! We got to pray and pay just to make it today… that’s why we Pray.. and PAY!

upinak on July 30, 2008 at 12:13 PM

Reminds me of the old joke about the man who kept praying to win the lottery.

“Dear Lord, please let me win the lottery…

“Dear Lord, please let me win the lottery…

“Dear Lord, please let me win the lotter…

Finally the Lord spake:

“Work with me on this. Buy a ticket!”

Wethal on July 30, 2008 at 12:13 PM

I’m sorry for all those religious people out there, but Obama…I mean JC won’t lower gas prices.

The only god that can lower gas prices is the god of supply and demand.

Basic economics folks, its people like these that gives Republicans bad raps for being inbred hicks.

Lance Murdock on July 30, 2008 at 12:13 PM

Obviously praying for McCain to win. That’s great.

RBMN on July 30, 2008 at 12:14 PM

Mocking God or those that trust in him is probably not a good idea! Since he created the oil, I don’t think the price of it is an issue that’s too big for him to deal with…

sabbott on July 30, 2008 at 12:15 PM

Seeing this story is another reason why Fox will suck more once Brit leaves the network.

Lance Murdock on July 30, 2008 at 12:17 PM

What harm could it do?

I don’t see anything wrong with asking the Creator of oil and men for some help.

simon on July 30, 2008 at 12:17 PM

sabbott on July 30, 2008 at 12:15 PM

Thank you! I was just thinking the same thing!

Prayers offered for overall selfish reasons are an affront. I’m not really religious, but believe prayer is a tool to be used for legitimate reasons.

I prayed for my wife for healing when she was going through chemo a few months back. That is a legitimate use for prayer.

Praying for cheaper gas is just plain wrong.

catmman on July 30, 2008 at 12:19 PM

I hope God has better things to focus on other than the price of gas. Does the price hurt the wallet? Yes. Is it factor as to whether I live or die? No. As much as I’d love to pay $1/g again I think I’ll reserve my prayers for more important things in the world.

VikingGoneWild on July 30, 2008 at 12:20 PM

The Lord helps those who help themselves. Start drilling.

Wethal on July 30, 2008 at 12:22 PM

Wethal on July 30, 2008 at 12:13 PM

And the joke about the guy in the flood.

Flood water’s waist high in the guys house. A guy comes by rowing a canoe says “Get in, I will take you to higher ground.”

The guy in the water says “No, the Lord will save me.”

Flood water’s now up to the second floor of the house. A guy comes by in a boat says “Get in, I will take you to higher ground.”

The guy on the second floor of his house says “No, the Lord will save me.”

Flood water’s now up to the peak of the roof. A guy in a helicopter lowers a rope ladder and says “Grab the ladder, I will take you to higher ground.”

The guy on the peak of the roof says “No, the Lord will save me.”

Flood waters continue to rise and the guy drowns and goes to heaven. He asks God “Why didn’t you save me from the flood?”

God says “I sent a canoe, a boat, and a helicopter. What else did you want?!”

txsurveyor on July 30, 2008 at 12:23 PM

Praying for more money would make more sense, because then you could spend it on anything you want.

pedestrian on July 30, 2008 at 12:27 PM

I do. Especially after the Nov. elections.

jgapinoy on July 30, 2008 at 12:28 PM

…and still the loving Creator loves his creation.

God helps those who votes Republican.

Hening on July 30, 2008 at 12:29 PM

Better chance that God answers than our own Representatives.

amerpundit on July 30, 2008 at 12:30 PM

Is this like when they prayed outside the capitol building in Georgia last year for rain? And then it…rained?

Lord, I hope it doesn’t starting raining oil. That would totally suck.

robblefarian on July 30, 2008 at 12:30 PM

Sorry I was laughing too hard and messed that up…

…and yet the loving Creator still loves His creation.

God helps those who vote Republican.

Hening on July 30, 2008 at 12:30 PM

Caption: Christians put Democratic plan for energy crisis into action; pray for lower prices.

Verbal Abuse on July 30, 2008 at 12:33 PM

Funneh!

RushBaby on July 30, 2008 at 12:38 PM

I understand now why the minimum wage laws exist.

thuja on July 30, 2008 at 12:39 PM

Verbal Abuse on July 30, 2008 at 12:33 PM

Nice. Run this in an ad. IMMEDIATELY!

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on July 30, 2008 at 12:41 PM

I understand now why the minimum wage laws exist.

thuja on July 30, 2008 at 12:39 PM

To protect the stupid?

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on July 30, 2008 at 12:41 PM

Every one a coconut

LimeyGeek on July 30, 2008 at 12:44 PM

Here’s their new spokesmen.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on July 30, 2008 at 12:46 PM

How about a tax on imported oil to pay for a subsidy on domestic oil? It would not affect the price of gas immediately but it would discourage the flow of money to the Saudis, the Venezuelans and the Iranians and it would encourage exploration and the pumping of oil that is two expensive to pump without the subsidy.

factoid on July 30, 2008 at 12:47 PM

A guy is frantically looking for a parking space, as he was running late for an important meeting.

He looks skyward and says “If You can let me get a parking space, I swear I’ll go to church every Sunday from now on.”

Suddenly, a car pulls out right in front of him, opening up a space. The guy again looks skyward and says “Never mind, I found one.”

Rhinoboy on July 30, 2008 at 12:52 PM

I understand now why the minimum wage laws exist.

thuja on July 30, 2008 at 12:39 PM

To protect the stupid?

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on July 30, 2008 at 12:41 PM

I was more thinking of the incredibly primitive notions of economics in the general public.

My elitist economic faith is in supply and demand.

thuja on July 30, 2008 at 1:04 PM

I have great respect for the power of prayer BUT I believe in this instance George W. Bush striking down the executive ban on off shore drilling is the main reason oil prices are going down. Prices will not continue to retreat unless domestic drilling starts, and we need a lot of domestic drilling. Nothing should be off limits. No sacred cows like ANWAR, no sacred cows at all, drill it all and drill it now !!

Maxx on July 30, 2008 at 1:07 PM

God must’ve pre-empted them because gas prices have been coming down ever since Dubya lifted the Executive ban on drilling.

Tony737 on July 30, 2008 at 1:17 PM

This better be an onion story.

lorien1973 on July 30, 2008 at 1:20 PM

It’s become obvious to me that we need to sacrifice our biggest ox.

Cicero43 on July 30, 2008 at 1:21 PM

Usually I’m shouting obscenities after filling up and seeing the cost…Hey, if it works, I’ll be out at the Mobil station praying too!

JetBoy on July 30, 2008 at 1:31 PM

And christians wonder why educated people don’t pay any attention to them.

Where can I send the purple Nikes to?

DanKenton on July 30, 2008 at 1:33 PM

Dear Allah, please have mercy on all of us Dhimmis who are more than happy to pay jizyah to the Saudis by buying their oil.

Connie on July 30, 2008 at 1:52 PM

You pray for lower oil prices…I’ll pray for a lower monthly mortgage payment.
I have been around these type of people for decades…
Here try this on for size:

“And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full. But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you”.

Matt 6:5-6

right2bright on July 30, 2008 at 2:15 PM

they have received their reward in full

Meaning, they has got what they is goin to get. So Jesus words are; he ain’t going to lower the price, you are stuck with it…unless you think Jesus was a liar.
Don’t these people ever read a bible???

right2bright on July 30, 2008 at 2:18 PM

I totally believe in the power of prayer. But God does not exist to find me parking spaces and make my life more convenient. He wants me to sacrifice myself to help others.

How many of these people have cable, I wonder, or how often do they go out to eat? Or how many destitute people in their own neightborhood are they spending their wealth helping? If they’re becoming destitute themselves helping others, THEN they can pray for God to lower the price of gas. If they are not, then it’s a selfish prayer. And God doesn’t approve of selfish prayers:

You ask but do not receive, because you ask wrongly, to spend it on your passions. –James 4:3

inviolet on July 30, 2008 at 2:58 PM

May the Flying Spaghetti Monster hear your prayers and use his noodly appendage to hold down gas prices.

Ramen

Ars Moriendi on July 30, 2008 at 3:17 PM

Matt 6:5-6

right2bright on July 30, 2008 at 2:15 PM

I personally like this one:

“Neither give heed to fables and endless genealogies”- Timothy 1 1:4

Following this advice, you can pretty much ignore everything the big book of BS has to say.

DanKenton on July 30, 2008 at 3:22 PM

DanKenton on July 30, 2008 at 3:22 PM

I personally like this one:
“Heed not the fool who sours the post with witless humor” r2br 1:3
Funny how the non-believer uses verses he has no idea what they mean, to convince believers…
You live off the nation that people of faith built, if you had any sense you would drop on your knees everyday and thank the faithful people of this nation for educating you, taking care of your family when they are ill, and for helping your neighbors in distress. You and your ilk have contributed nothing…but you suck the of the teat of the faithful.

right2bright on July 30, 2008 at 3:30 PM

DanKenton on July 30, 2008 at 3:22 PM

Well…not everything, apparently. I thought atheists prided themselves on their logic skills. *trying not to laugh* Speaking of which, why would you “follow the advice” of a “big book of BS,” anyway?

inviolet on July 30, 2008 at 3:37 PM

DanKenton on July 30, 2008 at 3:22 PM

Here DK, to illustrate how blatently wrong you are, lets put this in context. I will highlight what you “missed”.

As I urged you when I went into Macedonia, stay there in Ephesus so that you may command certain men not to teach false doctrines any longer nor to devote themselves to myths and endless genealogies. These promote controversies rather than God’s work—which is by faith. The goal of this command is love, which comes from a pure heart and a good conscience and a sincere faith. Some have wandered away from these and turned to meaningless talk. They want to be teachers of the law, but they do not know what they are talking about or what they so confidently affirm.

Gee, that changes what you posted…

right2bright on July 30, 2008 at 4:04 PM

inviolet on July 30, 2008 at 3:37 PM

I never used the pronoun “I” so the statement doesn’t apply to me, but rather you and the other shallow souls who derive your morals from a book of plagiarized campfire stories.

p.s. I never said I was an Atheist. Shame on you…you pre-judged me and made jeebus cry. Bad jeebus worshiper!

DanKenton on July 30, 2008 at 4:37 PM

DanKenton on July 30, 2008 at 4:37 PM

You are exactly right, sorry about that. The point about *your* (individual) mad logic skillz still stands. Take care.

inviolet on July 30, 2008 at 4:40 PM

It’s “Jesus worshipper,” btw. Don’t know anyone named “jeebus” and wouldn’t worship him/her/it if I did.

inviolet on July 30, 2008 at 4:43 PM

right2bright on July 30, 2008 at 3:30 PM

Actually that’s not true. I live in a gated community that prohibits jeebus-peddlers and the like. However, every once in a while one of them gets through so we release the hounds on their pious behinds and watch them run for their lives. It’s like being back in Rome except the hypochristian gets to limp away and pray another day.

DanKenton on July 30, 2008 at 4:44 PM

The point about *your* (individual) mad logic skillz still stands. Take care.

inviolet on July 30, 2008 at 4:40 PM

Just to clarify…are you a rapper? Perhaps a young black man? I ask because possessing “mad logic skillz” (sic) might be a good thing, i.e. (hip) (ballin’) (big pimpin’) etc.

DanKenton on July 30, 2008 at 4:48 PM

Sorry again; apparently you’re not familiar with the phrase *mad [fill in the blank] skillz*.

(typing patiently) I’ll explain. It’s a phrase, currently in use on the Internet, usually used as a sarastic phrase, meaning the opposite of what was described.

Are you all clear now? Or shall I explain it for you further? Would be glad to, should you need it. *smiles*

inviolet on July 30, 2008 at 4:55 PM

inviolet on July 30, 2008 at 4:55 PM

Ah, I understand now. You’re white and live in the suburbs and steal/misuse language that originated from another culture…and is still currently used by that culture. Let me tell you what it means whitey:

Mad Skillz:
Extreme amount of skill in a specific area.
Example: You capped 9 homies in one night? Daaaaaaamn, you’ve got mad skillz.

Now, I’m not surprised by your misuse of this phrase. You hypochristians have been stealing stories, re-writing them and omitting what you don’t like for centuries. Your kind is also keen on abusing definitions from language translation as well. Again, no surprise but I’m not sure jeebus would like this….I think I hear him crying again!!!

DanKenton on July 30, 2008 at 5:04 PM

You assume I’m white and that I live in the suburbs. Tell me, what train of logic led you to that conclusion? (This should be amusing.) Still not sure whom “jeebus” is though.

Your kind

“Your kind?” Would you explain this phrase, please?

inviolet on July 30, 2008 at 5:15 PM

And christians wonder why educated people don’t pay any attention to them.
DanKenton on July 30, 2008 at 1:33 PM

Educated people pay attention to me, as well as to many millions of other Christians.
This has been the latest in a long line of wrong premises by DanKenton.

jgapinoy on July 30, 2008 at 5:17 PM

What language are you talking about, DanKenton? I thought we were both speaking in English, Internet idioms included.

inviolet on July 30, 2008 at 5:19 PM

Let me tell you what it means whitey:

You get more amusing all the time.

inviolet on July 30, 2008 at 5:20 PM

This has been the latest in a long line of wrong premises by DanKenton.

jgapinoy on July 30, 2008 at 5:17 PM

DanKenton just likes to conclude things, apparently. Like just because Internet expressions are drawn from many, many sources, that of course people don’t know from where they come. He’s a master logician, you see.

inviolet on July 30, 2008 at 5:39 PM

Tell me, what train of logic led you to that conclusion?

“Your kind?” Would you explain this phrase, please?

inviolet on July 30, 2008 at 5:15 PM

Only 2 groups misuse black street slang:
1) Guilty white liberals who wish they were black and
2) Conservative white people trying to appear cool.

Your kind: conservative hypochristian who looks down his nose at other religions, intolerant of dissenting opinions and unable to understand that the BB of BS is nothing more than a large work of plagiarized folk tales and ghost stories.

DanKenton on July 30, 2008 at 5:39 PM

DanKenton on July 30, 2008 at 5:39 PM

inviolet on July 30, 2008 at 5:39 PM

Why don’t you both do us and the environment a favor and turn off your computers.

Zaire67 on July 30, 2008 at 5:52 PM

Only 2 groups misuse black street slang:
1) Guilty white liberals who wish they were black and
2) Conservative white people trying to appear cool.

Another generalization (didn’t think we wouldn’t notice?). But it doesn’t apply to me, for several reasons, one of which was: I wasn’t misusing it.

I’m truly sorry you (apparently) aren’t familiar with current Internet slang (either that or you knew this sarcastic usage is very common on the Net, but you just wanted to attack Christians anyway). Don’t assume I’m not familiar with “black street slang” as you put it. This is not the first time your assumptions and/or overgeneralizations have made you look, well, pretty foolish.

DanKenton on July 30, 2008 at 5:39 PM

So: Not Christian, not Jewish, not Muslim. I’d truly be interested in knowing what faith (if any at all) you profess, or whether you are an agnostic. Not that it matters; just curious since usually people of any faith aren’t so hostile to people of other faiths. But atheists frequently (not always, Allahpundit being a good example of an exception) are.

I’m Catholic BTW.

And I don’t look down on people of any other faith, nor agnostics nor atheists (and if you’d paid attention to any of my posts you would know this). I just (like most people) get annoyed when bigotry against other people, of whatever stripe, shows up. BTW your assumption re: “looking down” is yet another example of assumption and overgeneralization by you.

inviolet on July 30, 2008 at 5:54 PM

Zaire67 on July 30, 2008 at 5:52 PM

Hmm, sorry you don’t like my posts. Umm, truly don’t know what to say to that, except, well, I do have as much right to post as you.

inviolet on July 30, 2008 at 5:55 PM

DanKenton on July 30, 2008 at 4:44 PM

Can’t face the fact that the nation you take, was created by people of faith.
Like I said, you take but don’t give. When someone eventually uses the hospital, seek out the non-religious one…
You are a beggar, living in a gated community (don’t we all), and we, the faithful have provided the scraps to allow you to live….I love it when you unfaithful have fed at the trough of giving, and are so weak they don’t recognize it.
Your attempt at humor, shows me how ill you think of yourself…nothing but a beggar.

right2bright on July 30, 2008 at 8:24 PM

High gas prices are hurting people and is the cause for some unemployment. It is wise to ask the Lord for help for people.

saved on July 30, 2008 at 9:48 PM

I guess it isn’t as nutty as suggesting we all just fill our tires with more air, is it? Or is it?

On the other hand, the gods in the Congress don’t seem to be able to do anything about the prices of gas, so maybe this is the next logical thing to do.

Amy Proctor on July 30, 2008 at 10:59 PM

DanKenton on July 30, 2008 at 5:39 PM

Thank goodness you’re here to clear everything up for those of us who rely on the comments of random strangers on internet blogs to make the most important decisions in our lives.

Vaporman87 on July 30, 2008 at 11:35 PM