Video: Obama’s SUV and energy “free ride”

posted at 2:15 pm on July 30, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

Americans for Prosperity have another global-warming hypocrisy moment for voters. Earlier this month, they caught Al Gore riding in big limousines left idling outside of the venue for his speech on energy conservation and emissions cuts. Today, they show Barack Obama using the kind of cars that he insists the rest of us have to eschew:

As the graphics concede, the Secret Service selects the vehicles used by the candidates in most cases.  Sports-utility vehicles give better protection to the occupants and have the kind of power that allows them to quickly get out of an area when trouble develops.  No one really resents Obama’s use of these vehicles for his safety and the safety of his family — but the rest of us would like to make that choice for ourselves as well.

Comments

Exactly right – there is a choice in these things. It’s why we’re so blessed to live in America.

Mommynator on July 30, 2008 at 2:19 PM

Yeah, but the elected officials are so much more important then the rest of us…we only pay there wages, they tell us how much.

right2bright on July 30, 2008 at 2:20 PM

They don’t run on gasoline. They run on hope.

amerpundit on July 30, 2008 at 2:20 PM

idiots

unseen on July 30, 2008 at 2:23 PM

“No one really resents Obama’s use of these vehicles for his safety and the safety of his family — but the rest of us would like to make that choice for ourselves as well.”

These games of ‘gotcha you hypocrite!’ with Democrats are getting quite silly.

barry norris on July 30, 2008 at 2:26 PM

I thought the messiah walked every where he went.

TheSitRep on July 30, 2008 at 2:27 PM

I wonder what kind of mileage an “Up Armored Prius” would get?

TheSitRep on July 30, 2008 at 2:29 PM

Lets be fair about this shall we.

Do you expect the Dhem. Candidate for the POTUS to be traveling hither and yawn to be transported in an old, dusty, orange 1973 Volvo 1800ES?

He needs his safety margin doesn’t he?.

Hey wait a minute…that’s one of my cars…never mind then.

Move on…nothing to see here.

1GooDDaDDy on July 30, 2008 at 2:30 PM

“Today, they show Barack Obama using the kind of cars that he insists the rest of us have to eschew.”

Isn’t it always that way with our absolute moral authority betters, whether it’s Al Gore’s SUV’s as you note, or his energy black hole of a home. It also reminds me of Rosie’s opposition to hand guns that she conveniently solves for her own safety by hiring personal security to carry them for her.

Power and/or money allows them their hypocrisy and excuses it.

Dusty on July 30, 2008 at 2:30 PM

They don’t run on gasoline. They run on hope.

amerpundit on July 30, 2008 at 2:20 PM

The MovOn.org alternative fuel? Chicks?

shick on July 30, 2008 at 2:32 PM

I thought the messiah walked every where he went.

TheSitRep on July 30, 2008 at 2:27 PM

Actually he flies and boy, does his arms get tired!

You guys are really going to be embarrassed when Obama is sworn in as president and reveals himself to be the second coming of Jesus by ending the oath with:

“So help me… myself.”

barry norris on July 30, 2008 at 2:33 PM

[TheSitRep on July 30, 2008 at 2:27 PM]

Where’d you get that impression. Remember, the world’s surface is only 2/3′s covered with water.

Dusty on July 30, 2008 at 2:33 PM

These games of ‘gotcha you hypocrite!’ with Democrats are getting quite silly.

barry norris on July 30, 2008 at 2:26 PM

Give the man a break for God’s sake! You try finding enough good things to say about McCain to fill up several columns a day!

You can’t get there from here.
- NYC Cab Driver

MB4 on July 30, 2008 at 2:33 PM

“Except almost all families don’t have to worry about being shot at and have to cram a bunch of secret service agents into a vehicle!”

Oh we certainly couldn’t expect a Democrat to sacrifice anything, so that he practices as he condescendingly preaches to the rest of us, could we?

But he expects those of us with large families to do what exactly? Buy two vehicles? Leave some of the kids at home? Drive covered wagons? What exactly?

Michelle Obama’s kids will presumably go to a private school when Barack ascends into the White House. I’m sure there will be all kinds of excuses for why they can’t be expected to attend DC’s horrible, yet handsomely funded, public “schools”.

Obama is a preachy fraud, that’s all there is to it.

NoDonkey on July 30, 2008 at 2:34 PM

barry norris on July 30, 2008 at 2:26 PM

Its never silly to call out a hypocrite. Never.

Andy in Agoura Hills on July 30, 2008 at 2:35 PM

And as far as being “shot at”, drive around gun free DC for a couple of days, and see how many times you get shot at.

NoDonkey on July 30, 2008 at 2:36 PM

Dusty on July 30, 2008 at 2:30 PM

Liberties are only necessary for me because I’m important enough.

Or as George Orwell put it.

“All animals are equal but some animals are more equal than others.”

shick on July 30, 2008 at 2:36 PM

If Sen. Obama truly had conviction, courage and commitment – he’d request help from his caucus to get him in a Prius or at least a Tahoe Hybrid via a regulation on the Secret Service.

HotAirJosef on July 30, 2008 at 2:37 PM

Recognize the name of the hotel? I doubt Obama is the new client #9, but still…

warrenmr on July 30, 2008 at 2:39 PM

These games of ‘gotcha you hypocrite!’ with Democrats are getting quite silly.

barry norris on July 30, 2008 at 2:26 PM

Agreed as far as the safety of elected officials, but the super hypocritical comes from the holywood types on the left coast. We should never give up the “gotcha you hypocrite” games with them!

bernzright777 on July 30, 2008 at 2:42 PM

NoDonkey on July 30, 2008 at 2:34 PM

Since many of you like calling Obama a Marxist, the best answer is “Each according to his means”.

If you have a large family, drive an SUV. But most families are not large, maybe 2-4 kids. If a small family can do without an SUV by all means don’t get an SUV. Single people definitely shouldn’t be encouraged to buy SUVs.

Obama is a preachy fraud, that’s all there is to it.

Then you haven’t properly read the article which states that the secret service made the choice for Obama.

The real preachy frauds are conservatives, so do yourself a favor and vote Obama ’08.

barry norris on July 30, 2008 at 2:43 PM

If Sen. Obama truly had conviction, courage and commitment -

HotAirJosef on July 30, 2008 at 2:37 PM

That’s the thing, he doesn’t have any of those. That’s why he and the fambly are tooling around town in very expensive and not environmentally friendly tax-payer paid vehicles.

Because he does not practice what he preaches. Much like his buddy Gore.

When I see those guys and their brood reading by candle light and taking the horse and buggy to work, I’ll take them seriously.

Until then, talk to the hand.

Et tu Brute on July 30, 2008 at 2:46 PM

They don’t run on gasoline. They run on hope.

amerpundit on July 30, 2008 at 2:20 PM

Awesome.

subbottomfeeder on July 30, 2008 at 2:48 PM

barry norris on July 30, 2008 at 2:43 PM

And his personal car was a Hemi V8 Chrysler 300 until he was slammed for it.

amerpundit on July 30, 2008 at 2:49 PM

Did anyone else see the bus????????

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on July 30, 2008 at 2:51 PM

I hear that President Baramalama is going to trade in the presidential limo for a blinged out Escalade with spinners and really, really loud speakers (no Ludacris, though).

/sarc

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on July 30, 2008 at 2:52 PM

Single people definitely shouldn’t be encouraged to buy SUVs.

barry norris on July 30, 2008 at 2:43 PM

Socialist hate-mongers shouldn’t be encouraged to run for president of the USA either, nor should their followers be encouraged to post ignorant messages on the internet.

How’s that for your daily dose of reality there, smart guy? Or wouldn’t it be better if we just let people not running for public office decide what type of car they want to drive and you mind your own business, eh?

Et tu Brute on July 30, 2008 at 2:54 PM

When Barry got to the Senate, the “Positional Consistencey” briefing was given by gun-banner and concealed carry permitee Dianne Feinstein.

eeyore on July 30, 2008 at 2:54 PM

“But most families are not large, maybe 2-4 kids.”

Try and get two infant/toddler car seats into an economy car. Unless you’re a family of elves, it doesn’t work so hot.

I have one in my Jetta and it strains me, plus I can’t put it in the middle, because it will not fit. I’m 6’3″, so unless I try and drive with my knees to my chest, it won’t work. The Jetta has a small back seat.

So I have to put it in the passenger side of the back seat and put the passenger seat all the way up.

And pretty much forget about the strollers and the diaper bags, because they’re not fitting either, into the trunk.

The days are long gone when you have five kids sliding around in the back seat of a station wagon, like I an my brothers and sisters did. You’ll get arrested for that these days.

NoDonkey on July 30, 2008 at 2:55 PM

I would actually love to see the comedy of a candidate using Smart Cars or Priuses for his campaign traveling. Can you imagine a bunch of 6 ft+ Secret Service guys trying to extricate themselves from one of those tin cans? They’d look like they were riding around in clown cars. Hahahahahaha! That would be glorious comedy indeed.

aero on July 30, 2008 at 2:57 PM

what? I would have thought the obamamessiah would have pimped his ride

Mojack420 on July 30, 2008 at 3:03 PM

Yeah, but Ludacris is best-enjoyed with a large base unit that won’t fit into a small car.

marklmail on July 30, 2008 at 3:08 PM

Hey, isn’t that a 2008 Chevy Audacity?

wccawa on July 30, 2008 at 3:09 PM

One of the reasons our country always doesn’t stack up to some of the European countries in health stats and fuel efficiency is because our country is founded on the idea of freedom, choice, and personal rights.

If you want the big SUV and blow money on gas, you should be able to.

If you want the hybrid, there will be a market for it. After all, there haven’t been any massive new taxes or regulations on auto makers, yet they are all producing hybrids and moving away from the SUV’s. Why? Becuase the free market demands it.

If you want McDonald’s, you should be able to get it, and the rest of us shouldn’t be resonsible to pay for your health care due to your weight or diabetes.

This is the beauty of what America is supposed to be. Obama is fast changing that, along with the other liberals in this country.

Vincenzo on July 30, 2008 at 3:13 PM

The real preachy frauds are conservatives, so do yourself a favor and vote Obama ‘08.

barry norris on July 30, 2008 at 2:43 PM

Al Gore is a conservative? Why wasn’t I told before now?

MB4 on July 30, 2008 at 3:16 PM

Obama is a preachy fraud, that’s all there is to it.

NoDonkey on July 30, 2008 at 2:34 PM

MsUnderestimated on July 30, 2008 at 3:17 PM

Just like his stance on firearms. Citizens don’t need them, says the man who travels with a phalanx of armed guards.

dm60462 on July 30, 2008 at 3:17 PM

Except almost all families don’t have to worry about being shot at..

barry norris on July 30, 2008 at 2:26 PM

Michelle doesn’t let him pump his own gas, he’s safe now.

Single people definitely shouldn’t be encouraged to buy SUVs.

barry norris on July 30, 2008 at 2:43 PM

Single people should be encouraged to drive what they can afford because this is America.

Personally, I’m going to flip a coin to decide whether I take my 500 horse power 1971 big block Corvette (with NO emissions equipment!!!) or my big ass full size 4×4 truck with a hemi and 38 inch monster mudder tires to go the 1/4 mile and buy a big honking steak tonight. I’ll probably burn some rubber too, just to piss off the hippies and scare the commies at Starbucks!

Alden Pyle on July 30, 2008 at 3:18 PM

No reason the Anoited One can’t be sheperded around in a hybrid SUV or a bio-diesel Suburban. That would at least give some impression of really giving a damn…

Wyznowski on July 30, 2008 at 3:20 PM

If anyone genuinely believes that the global warming hysteria is about saving the planet, they are sadly misinformed.

It becomes clearer every day that this is about in-the-closet socialists seeking to remove freedoms from the average citizens of the USA in combination with politicians who only care about generating more revenue without being called “tax raisers.”

Wildcatter1980 on July 30, 2008 at 3:21 PM

“If I’m not mistaken, his kids already DO go to private schools. He’s also a hypocrite on that, as well, as he constantly decries all this talk of “school choice.” What a clown.”

Public schools are more than good enough for your urchins, peons.

But Michelle’s kids? The best is not good enough.

And if you wanted to foot the bill for private school, you should have affirmative actioned your way through two Ivy League schools than became a Diversity Coordinator at $300K + per year.

According to the woman who thinks we should all be community organizers at $20K a year.

NoDonkey on July 30, 2008 at 3:23 PM

Alden Pyle on July 30, 2008 at 3:18 PM

I’m not sure how many hippies that will po, nor how many commies at Starbucks that will scare, but I’m pretty sure that the Madrasa building Saudis and the ‘science project’ building Iranians and their bankers will be pleased.

MB4 on July 30, 2008 at 3:24 PM

Wanna bet? Here in California, it’s a true concern. Disarmed families make easier targets than a vehicle full of federal agents. Some people shoot at vehicles strictly for fun, apparently. We’ve got highway snipers, and thugs that apparently get a kick out of shooting at families in cars.

I won’t tell you how uninformed your statement makes you appear.

freedom_nut on July 30, 2008 at 3:26 PM

Oil’s a commodity, he who provides should be enriched; if Americans care they should allow domestic drilling, otherwise they shouldn’t complain when the $$$ goes to those who do.

No one pooh poohs when I drop $5K on a computer and the profits go to asia.

Gas is not yet illegal, I want gas, I can afford gas, I will pay $$ to whomever can provide me with gas. This is capitalism at work.

Alden Pyle on July 30, 2008 at 3:32 PM

Do they not make bullet proof bicycles?

d1carter on July 30, 2008 at 3:34 PM

Obama claims to have been born and brought up poor. So, he can’t help himself, he just has to pimp in style if he can. He even sports a useless, outmoded and society bankrupting political philosophy.

snaggletoothie on July 30, 2008 at 3:41 PM

what? I would have thought the obamamessiah would have pimped his ride

Mojack420 on July 30, 2008 at 3:03 PM

OutStanding my man! I have GOT to get me one of those.

My arms got all goosebumply just watching it in action.
Thanks

1GooDDaDDy on July 30, 2008 at 3:42 PM

His wings are made of ballistic fabric and his halo is one of the new kevlar models, he’s all set.

Alden Pyle on July 30, 2008 at 3:44 PM

“These games of ‘gotcha you hypocrite!’ with Democrats are getting quite silly.”

Possibly Barry, but until you’re unwilling to ‘walk the talk’, STFU!

GarandFan on July 30, 2008 at 3:44 PM

“Do they not make bullet proof bicycles?”

I remember when they used to make bullet proof messiahs. Those were the days.

NoDonkey on July 30, 2008 at 3:45 PM

Alden Pyle on July 30, 2008 at 3:18 PM

Thanks!

Truly my first LOL rolling on the floor moment for me today.

I swear to you it’s true.

Thanks again.

From not a “muscle car” kinda guy.

1GooDDaDDy on July 30, 2008 at 3:47 PM

To the self-serving self-important Dems, a woman should have the right to choose if she has the unborn child inside her womb ripped to shreds and sucked out with an industrial strength vacuum cleaner.

I think we should ALL have the right to drive whatever street legal vehicle we choose. And the only way large SUV’s and other gas guzzlers will ever be removed from the American roads is if they are made illegal.

Same applies to the former.

Wanna bet which one, and the only one, that will be outlawed by the savior(s) of our universe first?

SilverStar830 on July 30, 2008 at 3:49 PM

This is capitalism at work Islam on the march.

Alden Pyle on July 30, 2008 at 3:32 PM

MB4 on July 30, 2008 at 3:57 PM

Alden Pyle on July 30, 2008 at 3:32 PM

I have nothing at all against more off shore drilling, nor unlike McCain drilling in “pristine” ANWAR, but unless and until that happens, I have no desire to even further enrich the Madrasa building Saudis and the ’science project’ building Iranians, but maybe that’s just me.

MB4 on July 30, 2008 at 4:04 PM

A stupid video made by stupid people. It makes McCain people look petty and uninformed.

I just emailed Edgar Winter’s management about the video’s probable copyright infringement with its use of “Free Ride”.

Dave Rywall on July 30, 2008 at 4:06 PM

Obama is a preachy fraud, that’s all there is to it.

barry norris on July 30, 2008 at 2:43 PM

You overlook the key point here (I suspect, deliberately): That’s not a decision you get to make. It is, properly, left to each individual to decide what to drive, as are a whole range of other choices.

That, sadly, is the point that even many conservatives fail to emphasize strongly enough: it’s about freedom. The other guy doesn’t have the right to dictate your mode of transportation, because each person does have that right, for himself.

Now, apply that same principle to the controversy over drilling. The oil companies, i.e. the stockholders and, by proxy, the executives who run them, have the right to do what they please with the property they own or lease. It isn’t up to anyone else, of any political persuasion. In particular, the representatives of the Federal government have no right whatever so say who drills what where. The power yes; the right no.

That difference is the whole problem in a nutshell. The Feds shouldn’t have the power you want to cede them in the first place. It is both impractical and, more importantly, immoral.

Shaving Levithan on Dems and Property Rights

And, by the way, it’s “to each according to his needs.”

JDPerren on July 30, 2008 at 4:06 PM

“It is, properly, left to each individual to decide what to drive, as are a whole range of other choices.”

Exactly – Obama has “reason” why he needs SUVs. That’s great.

So do the rest of us. That’s what sticks in our craw about the libs, they think it’s only their reasons that are good, and the rest of us our frivilous dopes who need them to tell us what’s good for us.

NoDonkey on July 30, 2008 at 4:09 PM

MB4 on July 30, 2008 at 4:04 PM

Sadly, I find myself agreeing with you on this one.

But what’s a fella to do.

I’ve cut back on my driving, did most if not all of the things needed to keep my fuel costs down and the money still goes to the Saudis and “science project” Iranians.

If there was oil under my bathtub I’d let the “big oil” drill for it at this point.

1GooDDaDDy on July 30, 2008 at 4:14 PM

The only thing not custom about these vehicle is the external appearance. The power plant, armor, suspension, etc are all specially put together for the USSS so this is a non issue for Obama.

Ed’s comments about allowing us to buy what we want is germane, though.

E9RET on July 30, 2008 at 4:21 PM

Hypocrites, but then, we knew that.

kirkill on July 30, 2008 at 4:47 PM

“The power plant, armor, suspension, etc are all specially put together for the USSS so this is a non issue for Obama.”

So his highness can’t decline the use of the USSS SUV?

So he might lose his USSS protection, didn’t Michelle tell us that we all have to sacrifice for the common good?

I drive through DC myself and believe me, I would like an armored car as well. But I’ve learned to drive between the bullets.

NoDonkey on July 30, 2008 at 4:48 PM

“Safety and good mileage are the two things I looked for in a new car. That’s why I bought a Volvo station wagon.”

Somebody, anybody…please don’t let me down on recognizing the quote. It’s so apt. Spoiler link here.

James on July 30, 2008 at 4:57 PM

SilverStar830 on July 30, 2008 at 3:49 PM

Well said! Just remember, if Jesus had driven a car he would have had a 15 passenger van (he had twelve disciples). It’s hard to fit 13 people in a prius.

flytier on July 30, 2008 at 5:13 PM

I drive through DC myself and believe me, I would like an armored car as well. But I’ve learned to drive between the bullets Wizards.

NoDonkey on July 30, 2008 at 4:48 PM

Fixed it.
– PC police

tommylotto on July 30, 2008 at 5:36 PM

Ahh, so now the “Americans for Progress” clowns have deleted all the comments critical of their video. How un-American.

And wtf – why are people around hotair bit*hing about Obama riding around in a secure motorcade? How the he*l is that hypocritical? You know full well it isn’t possible for him to ride around in a Prius.

Dave Rywall on July 30, 2008 at 5:58 PM

You know full well it isn’t possible for him to ride around in a Prius.

Dave Rywall on July 30, 2008 at 5:58 PM

Exactly. That’s the point you missed. No one would ever dream of putting someone important in a Prius — of course that would be ridiculous. Yet liberals want to require the rest of us to ride around in tiny fuel-efficient vehicles they mandate for us, even though they would never dream of using one themselves. They can have the safety and space of large vehicles, no matter how much gas it takes to keep them safe. But not us little people. We have to figure out how to get all our family members and stuff into flimsy tin cans and pray that we survive if we’re ever in an accident because they say it would save the earth for us to do so.

aero on July 30, 2008 at 6:42 PM

“You know full well it isn’t possible for him to ride around in a Prius.”

I know full well I can’t either, and it’s none of his business what I drive.

We’ll make a deal – I won’t lecture Democrats on what vehicle they drive, the moment they stop telling me what I should drive.

NoDonkey on July 30, 2008 at 6:56 PM

aero –

Wow, I wasn’t aware that ALL liberals drove SUVs. Thanks for that amazing piece of whiny bullsh*t. And also thanks for the bullsh*t about liberals wishing to “require” that people drive a certain kind of car.

Dave Rywall on July 30, 2008 at 6:59 PM

My family has to worry about surviving day to day life includes my driving a full size truck with 4×4. That is my choice and not Barack Obama’s. If he tries to take my choice away, he’d best be ready to live by the same standards. End of subject.

These games of ‘gotcha you hypocrite!’ with Democrats are getting quite silly.

Its called holding a mirror up to their actions. If he can’t live by the sacrifices he calls for me to make, it is time for Barack to shut up and stop bothering people.

MoCoM on July 30, 2008 at 7:07 PM

“Obama needs to be in a secure motorcade. If you don’t understand that, I’m sorry – I can’t help you. You’re living in some bizarro world.”

And I need to be in a secure SUV. If he doesn’t understand that, I can’t help him. He can grab a big hot cup of STFU.

And an extra one for his nagging wife.

NoDonkey on July 30, 2008 at 8:04 PM

Bah, he needs to be in a 4 cylander 1979 rusted out Ford Pinto because those are the policies he’ll bring us back to. (prefereably a convertible so his adoring fans can get a better look at him)

Alden Pyle on July 30, 2008 at 9:35 PM

barry norris wrote,

Actually he flies and boy, does his arms get tired!

You’re a bit behind on the news, aren’t you? “…he took off his arms and grew wings.”

JimC on July 30, 2008 at 9:45 PM

Single people definitely shouldn’t be encouraged to buy SUVs.

barry norris

The problem isn’t if Obama would encourage single people to drive SUV, its if he’d allow it…

“We can’t drive our SUVs and eat as much as we want and keep our homes on 72 degrees at all times … and then just expect that other countries are going to say OK.”

That’s not saying “it would be better if you didn’t“, that’s saying you can’t.

Hopefully you see the difference between discouraging something, and stating that it cannot be done anymore.

gekkobear on July 30, 2008 at 11:57 PM

Oh, I almost forgot…

We can’t drive our SUVs and eat as much as we want and keep our homes on 72 degrees at all times…

YES WE CAN!!!

Much better.

gekkobear on July 30, 2008 at 11:58 PM

If Obama’s elected, you will see the advent of the bulletproof Segway.

Shy Guy on July 31, 2008 at 2:43 AM

I know this doesn’t make sense but I try to buy Hess gas because it is Canadian. Again I realize it is a commodity and what I don’t buy someone else will but it’s the choice thing. And I wouldn’t buy Citgo on a bet, even if it were less expensive. Freedom is the word.

Cindy Munford on July 31, 2008 at 5:59 AM

I thought the messiah walked every where he went.

TheSitRep on July 30, 2008 at 2:27 PM

Only if there’s a body of water nearby.

abcurtis on July 31, 2008 at 10:44 AM

barry norris on July 30, 2008 at 2:43 PM

And why not? America for a while yet is still a free country. Far as I’m concerned, if you can afford an SUV, if you like SUV’s or if you choose to drive an SUV for any reason, then so be it.
Conservatives are about individual freedom. Liberals/socialists are about government control of your life even down to dictating what you can drive, where you can drive it, and when you can drive it.
Btw – I drive an 05 Chevy Monte Carlo LT – 200 horses and I love all of them. It’s my vehicle of choice.

abcurtis on July 31, 2008 at 10:53 AM

You know full well it isn’t possible for him to ride around in a Prius.

Dave Rywall on July 30, 2008 at 5:58 PM