The One: “I have become a symbol of the possibility of America returning to our best traditions”; Update: GOP launches “Audacity Watch”

posted at 1:01 pm on July 30, 2008 by Allahpundit

Spaketh He Who Is to a choir of Democrats, “[T]his is the moment, as Nancy [Pelosi] noted, that the world is waiting for.” But wait, says Jake Tapper, rushing to the rescue. He didn’t mean it the way it sounds. He’s not claiming to be the incarnation of America’s “best traditions;” he’s merely claiming to be a blank screen on which the Andrew Sullivans and Doug Kmiecs of the world can project their fondest hopes and dreams — which is true enough, as even Hillary once acknowledged.

Feel better now? All geared up for Commander-in-Chief Blank Screen?

“His entire point of that riff was that the campaign is NOT about him,” says a House Democratic staffer. The Post “left out the important first half of the sentence which was something along the lines of ‘it has become increasingly clear in my travel, the campaign, that the crowds, the enthusiasm, 200,000 people in Berlin, is not about me at all. Its about America. I have just become a symbol.’”

Other staffers with whom I spoke back that up, and a Democratic Congressman who isn’t a particular fan of Obama agrees, saying that Obama preceded that quote with something along the lines of, ‘Those people in Germany weren’t excited about me. They were excited by the prospect of America getting back to being all it could be.’”

I.e. Obamamania isn’t about policy, it’s about a feeling, something both sides already know full well even though the left occasionally likes to flatter its intellectual pretensions by lamenting the lack of Substance that comes with mouthing lowest-common-denominator platitudes to a crowd of third-way socialists in Berlin. Free advice for Obama: If even Olbermann’s regulars think it’s time for a hubris check, it’s time for a hubris check.

Update: For all your one-stop hubris shopping needs, it’s “Audacity Watch.” Belated exit question: We know, per Obama’s dumbest and most disingenuous defenders, that any accusation of ego is a racist smear. Does that mean Dana Milbank’s a racist too?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

… he has Michelle Omarosa and the kids … – Alden

HAA! She does look like Omarosa, doesn’t she? Only better lookin’. I didn’t even know who she was until she got on one of our planes and a co-worker said ‘Do you know who that was?’ No, nor was I impressed with a reality show loser.

Tony737 on July 30, 2008 at 3:50 PM

There you go again [Mussolini].
- Ronald Reagan
MB4 on July 30, 2008 at 2:02 PM

MB4 on July 30, 2008 at 2:02 PM
Somebody needs a cluebat upside the head.
misterpeasea on July 30, 2008 at 3:47 PM

That doesn’t make any sense. Why does Ronald Reagan need to be beaten in the head?

wise_man on July 30, 2008 at 4:04 PM

Yeah, sure.

And I’ve got this ocean-front land off the coast of Iowa to sell….

drjohn on July 30, 2008 at 4:06 PM

HAA! She does look like Omarosa, doesn’t she? Only better lookin’.

I think she sort of looks like a vampire. Those canines are scary.

drjohn on July 30, 2008 at 4:15 PM

Leave it to the people at HotAir to turn every post into one about how Michelle Obama looks.

Nonfactor on July 30, 2008 at 4:21 PM

Not me. We all think that Barrack is prettier than Michelle anyway.

Mojave Mark on July 30, 2008 at 4:32 PM

Is Dana Milbank a racist? Anyone who speaks about Obama without Obama having selected them for the honor is a racist.

snaggletoothie on July 30, 2008 at 4:32 PM

Leave it to the people at HotAir..

Nonfactor on July 30,2008 at 4:21PM.

Nonfactor: Correction,that would be Michelle Omama!:)

canopfor on July 30, 2008 at 4:36 PM

“Ein Volk, ein Reich, ein symbol!”

Akzed on July 30, 2008 at 4:48 PM

I actually think Mrs. O. is very pretty, it’s not her looks that bother me, it’s her views.

Tony737 on July 30, 2008 at 4:57 PM

Do I look like someone who gives a rat about Michelle’s looks?

Please!

His own shtick about believing the hype surrounding himself is going to bite him in the rear-end in the Fall. He and his friends in the media think no one is paying attention, but I have heard enough this month from people on my local front to convince me that many are choosing not to follow that Pied Piper into the cave.

newton on July 30, 2008 at 5:03 PM

Tony737 on July 30, 2008 at 4:57 PM

You’re joking.

They make quite a pair, and she makes quite a pear.

misterpeasea on July 30, 2008 at 5:13 PM

Nonfactor on July 30, 2008 at 4:21 PM

Barrackuda.

RushBaby on July 30, 2008 at 5:15 PM

… she makes quite a pear. – Mr.

Haha, ok, well I was talking about her face. I think she’s pretty. I mean, she’s no Mrs.737 or anything, but she’s cute.

Tony737 on July 30, 2008 at 5:22 PM

Haha, ok, well I was talking about her face. I think she’s pretty.

I think she’d be a lot more attractive if she didn’t look so pissed off all the time. Get rid of the sneer, Michelle!

crazy_legs on July 30, 2008 at 5:24 PM

The G.O.P. needs to ad Barry’s shameless word thefts to their audacity watch. Like this one (Hat Tip: Rush):

“So this is our moment. This is our time. This is our chance. To stand up for what’s right. We are not looking for charity we’re looking for justice. We can’t fix every problem but the ones we can we must.”
Bono, July 2, 2005, Hyde Park, London

“People of Berlin, people of the world, this is our moment. This is our time. I know my country has not perfected itself. At times, we’ve struggled to keep the promise of liberty and equality for all of our people. We’ve made our share of mistakes, and there are times when our actions around the world have not lived up to our best intentions.”
Barack Hussein Obama, July 24, 2008, Berlin

Buy Danish on July 30, 2008 at 5:26 PM

I think we need bumper stickers out there saying things like
“Obama will set us free” “Obama. Are we worthy?”
“god has sent Obama” “Obama knows he is the one”
“Obama. Grant us peace.”
Forget the “Nobama” bumper stickers. Just not the way to go.
Obama thinks he’s the chosen one. Lets encourage him.

JellyToast on July 30, 2008 at 6:09 PM

Bad movie, this campaign is like a bad movie. Obama is getting stranger and stranger. Freaky even.

So, if we vote for Obama it is not about him, noooo, it is just that we want to become decent human beings again and we realize that the only that is possible is if we vote The Messiah, the Chosen One. Because he is all that is good in us.

Gag me.

Terrye on July 30, 2008 at 6:09 PM

Terrye on July 30, 2008 at 6:09 PM

Please report to the Central Processing Station for progressive “GroupThink” reprogramming immediately.

And have a nice day.

wccawa on July 30, 2008 at 6:11 PM

As I recall, John F’ing Kerry was so sure he’d win in 2004 his camp released exit poll numbers early on election day touting the same. Just let ‘em keep strutting around like a peacock. Just let ‘em.

SouthernGent on July 30, 2008 at 6:27 PM

Just let ‘em keep strutting around like a peacock. Just let ‘em.

SouthernGent on July 30, 2008 at 6:27 PM

We have a saying in Puerto Rico that sounds similar: “Alábate gallo, que mañana te guisan.” (“Go ahead and praise yourself, rooster. You’ll be our dinner tomorrow!”) :-)

newton on July 30, 2008 at 6:37 PM

Obamamania isn’t about policy, it’s about a feeling,

They’re baaaack:

“It’s More Than A Feeling
When I hear that old song play
It’s more than a feeling”

“Feelings
Nothing more than Feelings
…Feelings. Whoa, whoa, whoa Feelings”

Both hits during the Carter era. I can’t wait.

Captain Scarlet on July 30, 2008 at 8:33 PM

Obama said:

Yeah, right. I notice that the profile of Obama was on the event poster, not the US flag, or US patriotic theme, or outline of our country on a map… it was 100% about Obama.

You can see what kind of thoughts and words result when you’ve breathed in too much of your own exhaust.

electric-rascal on July 30, 2008 at 10:09 PM

Allah had me at “Spaketh He…”

Jaibones on July 30, 2008 at 11:02 PM

“All geared up for Commander-in-Chief Blank Screen?”

Anyone reminded once again of… Chauncey Gardner?

The Emperor hath empty clothes!

cinnabar on July 30, 2008 at 11:39 PM

The Audacity Watch needs to add this, the best of them all

The Child…Gerard Baker

Entelechy on July 31, 2008 at 12:40 AM

The Child Emperor Romulus Augustus marked the fall of Rome and the onset of the Dark Ages.

Entelechy on July 31, 2008 at 12:52 AM

Nonfactor on July 30, 2008 at 4:21 PM

The way she looks is irrelevant.

How she is, on the other hand,…creepier than any other lady who aspired to, or ever held that job.

Entelechy on July 31, 2008 at 12:57 AM

Check the headlines for the past weeks: it’s Barack who keeps bringing up looks. He doesn’t look like other presidents, doesn’t look like other Americans who come to Europe, doesn’t look like other presidents on dollar bills…who’s bringing up looks (race) here?

PattyJ on July 31, 2008 at 11:15 AM

Obamamania isn’t about policy, it’s about a feeling…

Yes, it is about a feeling. Soros’s hatred for Bush.

Connie on July 31, 2008 at 11:28 AM

I’m hoping Obama is like Gretzky. He was supposed to be The One to the Kings’ fans. Got em’ ever so close to the Cup. And then lost in the finals in 5 games. Hindsight: No one from Canada could ever be The One.

PC14 on July 31, 2008 at 12:53 PM

Military Policy – TBA

Shut Up and Hope!

ronsfi on July 30, 2008 at 2:51 PM

Well, it is not true. We know Obama’s plan for our military.

Tell me if you are not scare of the vision.

Sir Napsalot on July 31, 2008 at 2:47 PM

Oh looky… they started up an anti-Obama website with some of those Cero Peso’s donations I sent them along with that shiny new dime.

I knew the donation would be good for something. I’m glad it went towards that at least!

SilverStar830 on August 1, 2008 at 4:21 AM