Obama: McCain’s message is that I don’t “look like the other presidents on the currency”

posted at 8:40 pm on July 30, 2008 by Allahpundit

In the unlikely event that you don’t see what he’s getting at, revisit Ed’s post from last month, when Obama made this charge much more explicitly. Simply the perfect ironic counterpoint to his complaints that McCain has been unfair, culminating in an ad entitled, I kid you not, “Low Road.”

“He’s spending an awful lot of time talking about me. You notice that?” Obama asked a crowd of just over one thousand seated in a university gym. “I haven’t seen an ad yet where he talks about what he’s going to do. And the reason is because those folks know they don’t have any good answers, they know they’ve had their turn over the last eight years and made a mess of things.”

“They know that you’re not real happy with them and so the only way they figure they’re going to win this election is if they make you scared of me,” Obama continued, repeating an attack from earlier in the day. “What they’re saying is ‘Well, we know we’re not very good but you can’t risk electing Obama. You know, he’s new, he doesn’t look like the other presidents on the currency, he’s a got a funny name.’”

Mind you, this comes on a day when not only does conventional wisdom have it that the GOP is running the same campaign they ran four years ago against the spectacularly white John Kerry, but the great boogeyman to whom Obama is being compared is … Paris Hilton. This isn’t the first time either that the left has gotten impatient with the lack of racial attacks from McCain and demagogued him anyway just to defibrillate the narrative (as they also did with Hillary), but it’s unusual to see the Messiah himself stoop to making the charge instead of outsourcing it to an aide or waiting around for one of his slimier fans to do it for him. Which leads us back, inevitably, to TNR’s piece from February on how Team Barry played the race card on the Clinton machine. Read it if you neglected to do so the previous thousand times I linked it since it’s a playbook for what’s ahead.

Exit question: Was Mark Hemingway being ironic at the Corner when he said of Josh Marshall’s latest consultation with his secret racial decoder ring, he’s “usually above this sort of thing”? Hey, Mark? Define “usually,” please.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Obama’s puss on a wooden nickel would be perfect.

hepcat on July 31, 2008 at 1:00 AM

Obama’s stuff is starting to sound weak. Really weak.

petefrt on July 31, 2008 at 1:11 AM

I don’t care if you’re white, black, or green, but I do care that you are a Child Emperor Romulus Augustus.

Entelechy on July 31, 2008 at 1:32 AM

Mccain should keep hitting him…he will crack soon.

Chudi on July 31, 2008 at 1:37 AM

Mccain should keep hitting him…he will crack soon. Chudi on July 31, 2008 at 1:37 AM

McCain’s went through hell for many years. He can take whatever team Obambi can dish out. McCain’s Navy should be pounding away at BHO with the big 16″ guns. Fire at will Johnny boy.

Mojave Mark on July 31, 2008 at 2:01 AM

Don’t forget your funny ears.

- The Cat

MirCat on July 31, 2008 at 2:07 AM

After reading this headline, at least three different jokes come to mind that would get me permanently banned from this site. Well, at least I get to enjoy them.

Jim Treacher on July 31, 2008 at 4:31 AM

I dunno, President Alexander Hamilton was kind of swarthy…

And everybody knows that President Benjamin Franklin had big ears…

gridlock2 on July 31, 2008 at 6:41 AM

Uh, B.O., in case no one on your campaign staff happened to mention this to you, this kind of thing kind of happens a lot in the course of a campaign.

pilamaye on July 31, 2008 at 7:02 AM

…he doesn’t look like the other presidents on the currency, he’s a got a funny name”‘…

If any other presidential candidate, let alone a rookie senator with 143 real work days on the job, would have said this, the press would have diagnosed him/her as suffering from a severe case grandiose delusions.

They would also ask the question, is he fit for office?

Zorro on July 31, 2008 at 7:04 AM

Entelechy on July 31, 2008 at 1:32 AM

Wouldn’t that be Arugulus Augustus?

Insomniac on July 31, 2008 at 7:04 AM

I was wondering when this was going to happen.

And they say that McCain is running a dishonorable campaign.

It’s dumb, but it’s not racist or dishonorable. This won’t ffly for long. It will make Obama look like the chump he really is.

drjohn on July 31, 2008 at 7:06 AM

As our dollar moves in value toward the Zimbabwe dollar maybe it is fitting that we have Obama on our money.

His wealth redistribution and reparations policies are not far from Mugabe’s.

TheSitRep on July 31, 2008 at 7:14 AM

He’s well known for being famous,
and inclined to flip, then blame us.
Bitter bigots he will name us,
but it’s just so he can tame us.
Four years hence we’ll be the same us,
if his policies don’t lame us.
Drop that gun, oh doubting Thomas,
and vote for Maximus, Obamus.

Immolate on July 31, 2008 at 7:22 AM

So now Obama claims to read the McCain teleprompter?
Too bad the McCain campaign is too slow to point out their ads that discuss policy, with no mention of Obama or his radical policies, lack of experience & judgment, of his big ears.

Right_of_Attila on July 31, 2008 at 7:40 AM

he doesn’t look like the other presidents on the currency

Yeah, the other guys all have nuts.

Jaibones on July 31, 2008 at 8:37 AM

The phrase “other presidents on the currency” is fraught with problems.

“Other presidents” implies that he’s a president.

“On the currency” implies that he will some day be on the currency, an especially rare honor.

/$3 bill

Akzed on July 31, 2008 at 8:59 AM

On the topic of Obama’s appearance, I wonder, does anyone else have a perception that Obama doesn’t look entirely healthy? Maybe it’s just by contrast with most other 45-year-olds, but he seems thin to the point of looking a little undernourished. I wonder if the reasons for his looking so stick-thin are all benign. And I can wonder anything I want.

Kralizec on July 31, 2008 at 9:11 AM

Trust me, Dumbo, no one finds your name remotely funny.

Spanglemaker on July 31, 2008 at 9:18 AM

“I haven’t seen an ad yet where he talks about what he’s going to do.

Maybe it’s because McCain actually has a record? I haven’t seen an ad yet where you talk about what you’re going to do, either. Hopenchange doesn’t count as a policy paper

Funny, I don’t recall a Vice President McCain over the last 8 years. Who’s “they?” News flash Mr. Messiah, Bush ain’t running for re-election.

“They know that you’re not real happy with them

Again with “them,” as if McCain was part of Bush’s cabinet or inner circle, or that McCain is Bush himself in disguise.

Ah… here we go…

“What they’re saying is ‘Well, we know we’re not very good

And who’s the one talking about the other side ad-nausium?

A racist attack and Obamessiah’s “It’s all about me” ego all in one. “He doesn’t look like the other presidents on the currency” – wow. A little presumptuous of you to be comparing yourself to Washington, Lincoln, Jackson, et al before you’re even elected!!

crazy_legs on July 31, 2008 at 9:37 AM

he’s a got a funny name

A funny name? How about (you effing douche) “he’s a socialist, he’s a pansy, he’s a hard left partisan, he hangs around with radicals, racists, terrorists, his nasty wife, he’s a liar…” ? How about that stuff?

Jaibones on July 31, 2008 at 9:38 AM

What will be on the new Ubama Amero currency?

In allah we trust?

Or how about a quote from obamessiah himself…”We are no longer a Christian nation, we are a muslim nation..”

Instead of masonic symbols, will it have a depiction of allah in the flying saucer raining down fire on the white devils?

SaintOlaf on July 31, 2008 at 9:39 AM

Check Drudge for the new $1 Obamabill.

Wethal on July 31, 2008 at 9:41 AM

This is the third time he has brought this up, the last time was in Germany. A mulatto who constantly reminds you that he’s a mulatto is not comfortable being a mulatto.

Akzed on July 31, 2008 at 9:41 AM

Well, you don’t look like any one else on the currency…they are all green.
Meanwhile, every reference in every ad that he runs has the word, “old” or “ancient”, by Obama’s standards then Obama is bias or bigoted against old people?

right2bright on July 31, 2008 at 9:42 AM

BHO has SERIOUS internal conflicts about the meaning of his own racial identity. When has the right EVER brought up the issue of his race? The idea that they have is manufactured in his own mind. Wherever he got this chip on his shoulder, maybe working for years on the South Side of Chicago, or from his wife or Wright or his childhood, I don’t know. He’s not going to grow up overnight and get over it. He’s got this problem, it’s HIS problem, and it’s not going away. This is the healer of rifts? The new politics? This is someone who will be racially divisive, because he can’t help being otherwise. He’s got race on the brain.

Paul-Cincy on July 31, 2008 at 10:11 AM

Obama means his ears are bigger right?

aikidoka on July 30, 2008 at 9:50 PM

No disrespect, but have you seen Lincoln’s ears?

AverageJoe on July 31, 2008 at 10:14 AM

Akzed on July 31, 2008 at 9:41 AM

The only bitter candidate is BHO. He’s too proud to take the very real advice that Gaddafi gave to him: “Don’t be the black American with the inferiority complex because they make the worst black man and the worst American of all.” Obama just can’t get past his anger issues hating white people for not being black. That’s his problem. It will remain his problem and not ours so long as he persists in his racial rhetoric and all we lift is the MIRROR on Barack’s own words, just as the NYT insisted. Give them their own words in Spades.

maverick muse on July 31, 2008 at 10:30 AM

And everybody knows that President Benjamin Franklin had big ears…

gridlock2 on July 31, 2008 at 6:41 AM

uh, President of what country?

max1 on July 31, 2008 at 10:31 AM

You’d need a bill with all those extra zeroes just to accomodate the ears.

Seriously, is Obama suggesting that he’ll get a place on currency if elected? That’s arrogance and hubris at a level that even makes grifters like the Clintons look like amatuers.

highhopes on July 31, 2008 at 11:00 AM

My god….this clown is truly an idiot!

Winebabe on July 31, 2008 at 11:18 AM

What a wuss! It’s a campaign, angel-made! Get used to it. And it will get worse if you are finally elected and start messing up like you will do. What a wimp, jeez. I just hope that Ludicrus keeps doing songs to “help” Obama get elected. That will turn people away from him in droves.

foxforce91 on July 31, 2008 at 11:26 AM

This is starting to get ridiculous. I see a major backlash coming. Someone awhile ago predicted a landslide for McCain. If this PresidentObamatheOnetheMessiah comples continues, it definitely could happen

ConservativePartyNow on July 31, 2008 at 11:33 AM

Yeah, they look like Presidents.

You look like a self-absorbed, no-load, no accomplishment douchebag pretending to be president.

NoDonkey on July 31, 2008 at 11:46 AM

- So where are you girls from?
- Chaska.

Le Sueur, but I went to high school
in White Bear Lake. Go, Bears.

OK. I want you to tell me
what these fellas look like.

- The tall manorexic guy was kinda funny-lookin’.
- In what way?

- I don’t know. Just funny-lookin’.
- Can you be any more specific?

I couldn’t really say.
He wasn’t circumcised.

- Was he funny-lookin’ apart from that?
- Yah.

Akzed on July 31, 2008 at 11:49 AM

I’m slowing down, have to admit it. Did not catch the “OTHER Presidents” ramifications until now. Other!! He’s already lumped himself among them.

jeanie on July 31, 2008 at 2:32 PM

Yup thats right “Mr President” you dont look like the other presidents on the currency, they all happen to be dead, but I will sign anything in support of your image (however hideous) being placed on our currency if you’ll simply step into traffic and join the other “Presidents” on the currency.
What do you say Barry? deal?

Viper1 on July 31, 2008 at 3:34 PM

He’s well known for being famous,
and inclined to flip, then blame us.
Bitter bigots he will name us,
but it’s just so he can tame us.
Four years hence we’ll be the same us,
if his policies don’t lame us.
Drop that gun, oh doubting Thomas,
and vote for Maximus, Obamus.

Immolate on July 31, 2008 at 7:22 AM

Very good!

funky chicken on July 31, 2008 at 5:29 PM

After an ugly Democratic Primary, where race raised its ugly head in a party that claims to be so egalitarian, now it seems to be emerging in the general election. This week, in Missouri, Barack Obama described criticism coming from the McCain campaign in this manner:

“….So, what they are trying to do is make you scared of me. You know, he’s (Obama) not patriotic enough. He’s got a funny name. You know, he doesn’t look like all those other presidents on those dollar bills. You know, he’s risky.”

The McCain campaign (Rick Davis, McCain Campaign manager) reacted by accusing Obama of “playing the race card from the bottom of the deck.”

I would agree, and here is why. First of all, who in the McCain campaign (or Republican Party) for that matter, has said anything about the fact that Obama doesn’t look like previous presidents?

Who in the McCain campaign has tried to scare voters about Obama because of his name?

Are the Republicans trying to say that we should be afraid of an Obama presidency? Sure, why not? I am afraid of an Obama presidency. I am afraid of the policies he will institute if he is elected. I regard him as a leftist. I am conservative.

Is he risky? Absolutely. There is nothing wrong with making Obama’s policies front and center.

Is there a question about his patriotism? Well, yes. I have not come to a final conclusion on this question, but given the language coming out of his church the past 20 years and some comments from his wife, I have to say that there is a bit of doubt. Thus, it is a legitimate campaign issue. Remember this:

“God D— America!” (Jeremiah Wright)

“America is a really mean country” (Michelle Obama)

“For the first time in my adult life, I am really proud to be an American” (Michelle Obama).

But to get back to the race issue, in my mind, Obama is indeed playing the race card with this week’s comments. In Berlin, he made a similar comment to the crowd reminding them that he didn’t look like previous presidents who has visited Berlin.

I speak for myself here, but I think America is ready for an African-American president, a woman president, Hispanic president or Asian-American president. But it depends on who the person is and what his/her policies are. I am ready to vote for a black candidate for president, but it is not Barack Obama. There are some black Republican conservatives I find very attractive such as Michael Steele or Lynn Swann, but I don’t think either one is ready to run for the office.

Frankly, I am burned out on the whole subject of race. Burned out or not, however, we have to continue addressing it. However, if Barack Obama intends to make this election a referendum on race, he is making a mistake. Originally, he said that if he lost his campaign it would not be because of his race rather because his message was not accepted by the voters. He should stick to that theme.

So who is he directing this argument to? Is it to the African-American electorate? Or is it to guilt-ridden white voters who would give him their votes to assuage their own guilt for America’s racial past?

Let this election be decided on the future direction this country should take. Most Americans will turn away from Obama if he makes this a referendum on race. It will only bring back memories (still fresh) of Jeremiah Wright.

It is becoming increasingly clear that Obama is arrogant and starting to believe his press clippings as the “second coming of the Messiah.” However, if he loses this election, it will not be because America is still a racist country. It will be because the American people looked closely at him-and found him wanting.

gary fouse