Obama: McCain’s message is that I don’t “look like the other presidents on the currency”

posted at 8:40 pm on July 30, 2008 by Allahpundit

In the unlikely event that you don’t see what he’s getting at, revisit Ed’s post from last month, when Obama made this charge much more explicitly. Simply the perfect ironic counterpoint to his complaints that McCain has been unfair, culminating in an ad entitled, I kid you not, “Low Road.”

“He’s spending an awful lot of time talking about me. You notice that?” Obama asked a crowd of just over one thousand seated in a university gym. “I haven’t seen an ad yet where he talks about what he’s going to do. And the reason is because those folks know they don’t have any good answers, they know they’ve had their turn over the last eight years and made a mess of things.”

“They know that you’re not real happy with them and so the only way they figure they’re going to win this election is if they make you scared of me,” Obama continued, repeating an attack from earlier in the day. “What they’re saying is ‘Well, we know we’re not very good but you can’t risk electing Obama. You know, he’s new, he doesn’t look like the other presidents on the currency, he’s a got a funny name.’”

Mind you, this comes on a day when not only does conventional wisdom have it that the GOP is running the same campaign they ran four years ago against the spectacularly white John Kerry, but the great boogeyman to whom Obama is being compared is … Paris Hilton. This isn’t the first time either that the left has gotten impatient with the lack of racial attacks from McCain and demagogued him anyway just to defibrillate the narrative (as they also did with Hillary), but it’s unusual to see the Messiah himself stoop to making the charge instead of outsourcing it to an aide or waiting around for one of his slimier fans to do it for him. Which leads us back, inevitably, to TNR’s piece from February on how Team Barry played the race card on the Clinton machine. Read it if you neglected to do so the previous thousand times I linked it since it’s a playbook for what’s ahead.

Exit question: Was Mark Hemingway being ironic at the Corner when he said of Josh Marshall’s latest consultation with his secret racial decoder ring, he’s “usually above this sort of thing”? Hey, Mark? Define “usually,” please.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Ah yes, identity politics. We’re all bigots now.

CP on July 30, 2008 at 8:46 PM

Well, Obama is right, in a way. None of the currency has a portrait of an empty suit.

Dusty on July 30, 2008 at 8:48 PM

wait who’s making this about race? Its amazing the arrogance associated with this comment. according to this dirt bag its not about his lack of experience or his marxist tendencies its about his pigmentation. This is why this marxist cretin is going to lose.

Turd.

elduende on July 30, 2008 at 8:48 PM

A whining, sniveling, pans-wetting, metrosexual professional victim. Just the man we need for President.

friendlygrizzly on July 30, 2008 at 8:50 PM

Adjusted for inflation, Obama’s now minted on the $6.66 note.

JammieWearingFool on July 30, 2008 at 8:50 PM

Obama needs to stop playing the race card. It’s getting really old.

SoulGlo on July 30, 2008 at 8:50 PM

More proof one can’t believe what Obama says.

Spirit of 1776 on July 30, 2008 at 8:50 PM

Benjamin Franklin was a president? Who knew?

(But then who knew we had 57 states…)

Wethal on July 30, 2008 at 8:52 PM

I suppose if he doesn’t win we’ll have to hear through eternity that is was because he was black. Sigh!!

jeanie on July 30, 2008 at 8:53 PM

Hey Obama it’s not the looks or the name its that you have less experience and worse judgment than all the other Presidents, also you are a left-wing extremist, THE MOST LIBERAL Senator out of 100 more extreme than an avowed socialist.

Chakra Hammer on July 30, 2008 at 8:53 PM

“He’s spending an awful lot of time talking about me. You notice that?” Reagan asked a crowd of just over one thousand seated in a university gym. “I haven’t seen an ad yet where he talks about what he’s going to do other than put on a sweater. And the reason is because he knows he doesn’t have any good answers, he knows he’s had his turn over the last four years and made a mess of things.”

“He knows that you’re not real happy with him and so the only way he figures he’s going to win this election is if he makes you scared of me,” Reagan continued, repeating an attack from earlier in the day. “What he’s saying is ‘Well, I know I’m not very good but you can’t risk electing Reagan. You know, he’s an actor and you know it was an actor who assassinated Lincoln.’”

MB4 on July 30, 2008 at 8:54 PM

Wethal on July 30, 2008 at 8:52 PM
what about Alexander Hamilton?

elduende on July 30, 2008 at 8:54 PM

My sense is that if you get under his skin, he’s not an appealing candidate to anybody but the crazies.

JAW on July 30, 2008 at 8:55 PM

Susan B. Anthony dollar

mred on July 30, 2008 at 8:57 PM

I challange Obama to find ANY examples of McCain or his staff doing this. Just one example. I`d incorporate the lack of answer into a new McCain ad.

ThePrez on July 30, 2008 at 8:57 PM

Obama needs to stop playing the race card. It’s getting really old.

SoulGlo on July 30, 2008 at 8:50 PM

No, no, no. Let him and the democrats play it every chance they get. America needs to wake up and see what his presidency will be all about.

SouthernGent on July 30, 2008 at 8:58 PM

Sacagawea dollar

mred on July 30, 2008 at 8:59 PM

Oops. Forgot the buffalo nickel?

Wethal on July 30, 2008 at 8:59 PM

It would be nice if some enterprising reporter were to ask Obama to name specific instances when anything of the kind happened.

Terrye on July 30, 2008 at 8:59 PM

McCain ought to ask what Obama means, ask Obama if he could for once in his life do some straight talking instead of all the nebulosity and ambiguity and innuendo and maybe say something that isn’t some version of Three Card Charlie? McCain really ought to call him out.

Dusty on July 30, 2008 at 9:00 PM

problem is that unlike the liberal elite whites, the genral population does not have white guilt. in fact if anything the general population of whites would be less likely to vote for him the more they are reminded that he is half black and has a muslim father.

the elites just don’t get that point. whites do not think of themselves as racists, do not look at our ancestors and founding fathers as racists and do not have this guilt/sin in their heads for which we must atone for

This like energy policy will backfire in the general election.

BHO needs to understand he is not running a primary campaign. White liberals are not the majority

unseen on July 30, 2008 at 9:00 PM

Oh, I forgot to mention if he keeps this up in 15 years Barry will be doing what Dan Quayle is thinking of doing.

SouthernGent on July 30, 2008 at 9:00 PM

Oh superb AllahPundit,my worst fears
have been realized,that the Republican
campaign strategy is going to be a repeat,Ugg!

Thats why I’m always asking,who is running
the show on this (R)Presidential campaign!
Double uggh!

canopfor on July 30, 2008 at 9:01 PM

And look at the subtle twist Obama’s put on this himself. He’s actually elevated himself to the stature of Washington, Lincoln, etc.

The unbridled arrogance is really remarkable in a way. If he had any policies I could believe in, I think I’d actually vote for him. Think of all the fun wars he’d get us into when his charm-foo didn’t work and he got pissed off. Ahmadinejad had better watch out!

nukemhill on July 30, 2008 at 9:02 PM

I can’t wait to vote for McCain and become an Official Racist™!

Thanks Democrats I couldn’t have done it without you.

Dr. Manhattan on July 30, 2008 at 9:02 PM

Jumping the shark in 16 words. Very impressive! How many electoral votes does PA have again?

AnthonyK on July 30, 2008 at 9:03 PM

Obama needs to stop playing the race card.

But what other card does he have? If it wasn’t for his skin color nobody’d be voting for this guy.

flenser on July 30, 2008 at 9:03 PM

Obama’s not even elected and he’s sizing up Mt. Rushmore to see if his head will fit.

Hint: It can’t possibly.

Cicero43 on July 30, 2008 at 9:04 PM

Obama, July 24th, Berlin: “I know that I don’t look like the Americans who’ve previously spoken in this great city.”

Obama, now: “You know, he’s new, he doesn’t look like the other presidents on the currency, he’s a got a funny name.”

A bit early to start playing the race card, isn’t it, Barack?

Seixon on July 30, 2008 at 9:04 PM

This guy is so annoying and a disgrace.

jencab on July 30, 2008 at 9:05 PM

“Wild Bill” Barry was also in Springfield, MO making essentially the same speech, except in Springfield he challenged McCain to a duel.

Oh, he also said this:

“He doesn’t look like all those other presidents on those dollar bills,” Obama said, summarizing what he views as the attacks against him.

Quick quiz question for Barry:

Other than George Washington, what other presidents are there on the dollar bill?

Buy Danish on July 30, 2008 at 9:09 PM

…he’s a got a funny name.

I don’t know…Rutherford is kinda funny.

Weight of Glory on July 30, 2008 at 9:10 PM

AnthonyK on July 30, 2008 at 9:03 PM

“Jumping the Shark” is right, and it is only the last days of July………….

……… it is my sincerest hope that by the time the election rolls around, all my “enlightened” neighbors will be scraping their “Obama 08″ bumper stickers off their cars in shame and humility.

Seven Percent Solution on July 30, 2008 at 9:11 PM

Cripes, he’s playing the race card and he’s ahead. Wonder what he’ll do when he gets behind.

easy on July 30, 2008 at 9:11 PM

Mr T would shoot Snickers bars at this fool.

MrScribbler on July 30, 2008 at 9:12 PM

other presidents

There he goes again. Thinking he’s the President.

ronsfi on July 30, 2008 at 9:12 PM

Obama you arrogant bastard.

carbon_footprint on July 30, 2008 at 9:12 PM

I don’t know…Rutherford is kinda funny.

Weight of Glory on July 30, 2008 at 9:10 PM

Millard Fillmore?

Wethal on July 30, 2008 at 9:13 PM

With experience comes learned judgement…

Obama’s responses to any number of perceived or real slights to him, the candidate, have been met with an arrogance I haven’t seen since I cast my first presidential vote in 1972.

Simply put, Obama is not ready for prime time.

He jumped into the ring, heard the adulation, and his perception of reality changed, as is often the case with the new kid stepping into the national spotlight for the first time. Whether one is a newly drafted NFL pick, or a young NBA kid star fresh off the street, or a newly discovered child actor, the pattern is the same…that smell of the greasepaint and roar of the crowd has a changing effect on one’s perception of reality, and the focus in one’s mind becomes overnight “I am great, they love me, I can do no wrong, look at me, Ma, I’m on top of the world….”

With experience and a bit of seasoning one learns to deal with that thrill and temper one’s reaction to it. Obama has not that experience nor seasoning. And we, America, are apparently more than willing to get into that crowd frenzy and forget our own reality, and heaven forbid, cast our vote for an image instead of for the character of the candidate?

This isn’t American Idol and we aren’t casting a vote for Sanjaya. The morning after hangover we are going to have to deal with after the November election is going to last four years. Are we really willing to deal with that?

coldwarrior on July 30, 2008 at 9:14 PM

MB4 on July 30, 2008 at 8:54 PM

Ha! Good catch, MB4. I thought I’d heard something like that before.

Let’s see: JFK, Lincoln, Reagan, Deval Patrick . . . . Anybody keeping a list of all the other politicians Obama has been “borrowing” from?

Has this guy ever had an original thought in his life?

AZCoyote on July 30, 2008 at 9:16 PM

I’m bigoted against Obama’s ideology

jp on July 30, 2008 at 9:16 PM

Well,it appears that the Left aren’t
trying hard enough to create a false
impression of McCain!

So,by all means,paint McCains latest ad,
as racist,and wait for it,yes sexism!

This is the best,the Left can throw at McCain,
the ol’ racism/sexism!

But,we all knew this,the opening shot came
from G– Dam_ Rev.Wright,and Michelle Obama,
(first time in my life)who played the race card
from the word go,in the early primaries!

canopfor on July 30, 2008 at 9:17 PM

I think McCain ought to pick a VP who looks like the presidents on the currency.

jgapinoy on July 30, 2008 at 9:17 PM

other presidents

There he goes again. Thinking he’s the President.

ronsfi on July 30, 2008 at 9:12 PM

Indeed!

Buy Danish on July 30, 2008 at 9:18 PM

Other presidents??? There he is, calling himself president again.

jgapinoy on July 30, 2008 at 9:19 PM

Indeed, that’s how McCain should punt it. McCain should hit back and put “Mount Rushmore” in there somewhere.

“Hey Barack, did you go to Europe to get fitted for your monument”.

ninjapirate on July 30, 2008 at 9:19 PM

Indeed!
Buy Danish on July 30, 2008 at 9:18 PM

I should read all posts before posting.

jgapinoy on July 30, 2008 at 9:20 PM

“He’s spending an awful lot of time talking about me. You notice that?”

Through-out the primary the man was never vetted and the only time the MSM talked about you, (Barney), was when you were on a pedestal. Who is McCain supposed to talk about? John Edwards love child? John Kerrys military service? Hillary and Bills compassion for each other?

Rovin on July 30, 2008 at 9:20 PM

The Messiah is just confused about our currency. It says “In God We Trust” yet it doesn’t have his picture next to the slogan.

innominatus on July 30, 2008 at 9:20 PM

other presidents
There he goes again. Thinking he’s the President.

ronsfi on July 30, 2008 at 9:12 PM

Great point. Obama is becoming down right patholigical.

I have forgotten where I heard it today, but someone on Fox said that Obama has the word president on the back of his chair. I’ll look for it unless someone else finds it first.

AnthonyK on July 30, 2008 at 9:23 PM

AnthonyK on July 30, 2008 at 9:23 PM

its supposed to be on his campaign plane according to the reports i heard.

elduende on July 30, 2008 at 9:25 PM

You are right barry, unlike Iran or Turkey, we dont have a picture of a jackass on our currency.

TroubledMonkey on July 30, 2008 at 9:26 PM

Lets not overlook the Lefty MSM,
who also think that Obama is already
President!:)

canopfor on July 30, 2008 at 9:27 PM

innominatus on July 30, 2008 at 9:20 PM

Bingo!

1GooDDaDDy on July 30, 2008 at 9:28 PM

It was hubris that slay the beast.

TheBigOldDog on July 30, 2008 at 9:31 PM

AnthonyK on July 30, 2008 at 9:23 PM

its supposed to be on his campaign plane according to the reports i heard.

elduende on July 30, 2008 at 9:25 PM

So Obama has the word President on the back of his chair on his “Air Farce” one. No flag on the outside of the plane and the obama seal on the tail. Like I said, “Pathalogical”!

AnthonyK on July 30, 2008 at 9:31 PM

Warren G. Harding was supposedly as black as Barry.

And look what a winner he was.

profitsbeard on July 30, 2008 at 9:31 PM

Millard Fillmore?

Wethal on July 30, 2008 at 9:13 PM

Yeah! Seriously! What were his folks thinking?

Weight of Glory on July 30, 2008 at 9:32 PM

salmonczar on July 30, 2008 at 9:32 PM

AnthonyK on July 30, 2008

ditto brother!

elduende on July 30, 2008 at 9:35 PM

I beginning to think everyone is getting tired of the race thing.
McCain: “He”ll raise your taxes!”
Obama: “It’s because I look different.”
McCain: “We need to drill for oil!”
Obama: “He’s afraid because I don’t look like all the other Presidents.”

JellyToast on July 30, 2008 at 9:38 PM

Is the ringtone on Obama’s cellphone “Hail to the Chief”?

Wethal on July 30, 2008 at 9:38 PM

Has this guy ever had an original thought in his life?

AZCoyote on July 30, 2008 at 9:16 PM

The answer to your second question is: No.

As for the first, Just yesterday I was trying to find a definitive (and constantly growing) list of his word thievery and couldn’t, but the time is now.

He stole his Berlin “This is our moment, this is our time” speech theme from Bono.

I also discovered that he lifted something he put in the flipping congressional record in 2007 (about “blowback” from the Iraq War) from a 2005 column by Super loon Justin Raimondo.

I don’t know that he’d want the world to know that Raimondo is one of his go-to guys for foreign policy ideas.

Buy Danish on July 30, 2008 at 9:38 PM

empty suit…

salmonczar on July 30,2008 at 9:32PM.

salmonczar:Sweet!:)

canopfor on July 30, 2008 at 9:40 PM

Well, we know we’re not very good but you can’t risk electing Obama. You know, he’s new, he doesn’t look like the other presidents on the currency, he’s a got a funny name PERIOD.

Jerk.

RushBaby on July 30, 2008 at 9:40 PM

salmonczar on July 30, 2008 at 9:32 PM

Here’s another one. What an arrogant assclown.

ReubenJCogburn on July 30, 2008 at 9:41 PM

So he really is already picturing himself on currency, hmmmm? He’s so arrogant.

aero on July 30, 2008 at 9:42 PM

Lord knows Ulysses S. Grant isn’t a weird name.

You met anyone named Abraham lately? It’s not quite as popular as George or Alexander or Theodore, but I suppose there are a few scattered here and there.

I know theres probably a black guy printed on Zimbabwe’s currency. Isn’t Mugabe’s face on the 2.2 million percentage bill?

You know Barry, for the post-racial candidate you like to play the race card an awful lot.

BKennedy on July 30, 2008 at 9:49 PM

Obama means his ears are bigger right?

/s

aikidoka on July 30, 2008 at 9:50 PM

If he does get elected, let’s move to have him put on the penny. That would be appropriate since it’s worth 1 cent but costs 1.2 cents to make.

aero on July 30, 2008 at 9:52 PM

Buy Danish on July 30, 2008 at 9:38 PM

Thanks. I hope somebody is keeping track of this stuff. It’s just unbelievable to me that anybody — especially a former university-level teacher — would be so blatantly using other people’s lines — almost word for word — without attribution.

I guess it’s a good thing for Obama that he’s left such a minimal paper trail. Given his propensity for “borrowing” other people’s words, he surely would have been charged with copyright infringement, or at least plaigiarism, by now. But I suppose that’s of little concern to a man who’s already standing in front of a mirror, practicing the pose he’s going to use for his portrait on the “new and improved” dollar bill (or will that be called the “Obama bill?”)

AZCoyote on July 30, 2008 at 9:55 PM

he doesn’t look like the other presidents on the currency

thats true but obamamessiah dose look kind of like dumbo

and would that be Michelle Obama in Dumbos hat???

when his kids see the Dumbo movie do they say ” Daddy I didnt know you could fly “

Mojack420 on July 30, 2008 at 9:57 PM

empty suit…

salmonczar on July 30,2008 at 9:32PM.

salmonczar:Sweet!:)

canopfor on July 30, 2008 at 9:40 PM

Can’t play poker with that.

Connie on July 30, 2008 at 10:01 PM

Dusty on July 30, 2008 at 8:48 PM

+10

Priceless.

SuperCool on July 30, 2008 at 10:02 PM

Someone needs to pass this along to O’Reilly who constantly tries to say that Obama himself has tried to keep race out of this thing. He was busted by someone the other day for totally missing this last month:

“The choice is clear. Most of all we can choose between hope and fear. It is going to be very difficult for Republicans to run on their stewardship of the economy or their outstanding foreign policy. We know what kind of campaign they’re going to run. They’re going to try to make you afraid. They’re going to try to make you afraid of me. He’s young and inexperienced and he’s got a funny name. And did I mention he’s black?”

I didn’t follow all of the links in the post, but I think even you (AllahPundit) may have forgotten about that incident as well, based on this line:

Because clearly it’s not unusual. In fact it seems it’s a card he’s ready to play at any opportunity.

RightWinged on July 30, 2008 at 10:03 PM

AZCoyote on July 30, 2008 at 9:55 PM

I’m thinking it will be called the Vero Possumus dollar.

Buy Danish on July 30, 2008 at 10:03 PM

(Btw, if anyone needs a source for my Obama quote above – which you shouldn’t, because it can be found easily – I pulled it from the following… but it’s by no means a secret):

RightWinged on July 30, 2008 at 10:05 PM

“You know, he’s new, he doesn’t look like the other presidents on the currency……”

Well, in a way he’s right………

…………. and for the Global Climate Change aspect of his campaign, he can always pull one of these out of his wallet.

Seven Percent Solution on July 30, 2008 at 10:09 PM

Hey Obama…YOU make me scared of you.

ctmom on July 30, 2008 at 10:13 PM

“He’s spending an awful lot of time talking about me. You notice that?”

Well now both of you are…but just one is telling the truth, the Navy Hero.
Milhouse? that one is pretty bad.
And-
Barrack Hussein Obama isn’t ‘funny’, it is SCARY!

shooter on July 30, 2008 at 10:15 PM

First it’s the Great Seal of Hubris, now this?

This guy’s not self-absorbed, he’s self-obsessed.

hillbillyjim on July 30, 2008 at 10:20 PM

Was there a President Alexander Hamilton ? A. Ham was born in St Lucia in the Brit West Indies and sent to New York when he was ten, so maybe he’s semi-black–and maybe he does look something like The Messiah

or not

This is getting wierd: I don’t remember any Prez candidate acting this arrogant while being this gaff-prone and clumsy

JEK was CONFIDENT, which is significantly different from whatever Obama is. Even Reagan in 84, far ahead by September, never got cocky.

( for those of you in Palm Beach County, Hamiliton is on the ten-spot and was Sec. of Treasury but never Prez )

Janos Hunyadi on July 30, 2008 at 10:32 PM

Conservative pundits and commentators always avoid taking it to the next logical step (and I’m not really sure why)…weren’t Obama’s statements not just a simple case of playing the race card, but actually racist? Think about what he said. Neither McCain nor anyone from his campaign has EVER suggested that because of Obama’s skin color he shouldn’t be President and they have never employed any strategy to “scare” voters by envoking his race. Obama is suggesting that BECAUSE McCain is white, those racist intentions must be his true intentions. He is suggesting that BECAUSE voters are largely white they will be “scared” by his skin color. He is suggesting that there is something wrong with previous Presidents (the ones “on the currency”) BECAUSE they were white. Obama wasn’t playing the race card. He was playing the racist one.

davenp35 on July 30, 2008 at 10:32 PM

Isn’t Obama’s face already on the Euro?

jon1979 on July 30, 2008 at 10:33 PM

There is a genuine concern about the camio portion of the new currency. To include the ears, they would have to cut out other vital information, such as the denomination of the bill! However he seems qualified to go on a $3.00 bill.

wepeople on July 30, 2008 at 10:35 PM

I liked how Obama said earlier, “I don’t pay attention to John McCain’s ads, but I notice …”

How would he notice if he’s not paying attention?

mikeyboss on July 30, 2008 at 10:41 PM

Actually, Obama looks like the strange dildo-looking thing that the eagle is holding on the back of the old Washington quarters.

TexasJew on July 30, 2008 at 10:47 PM

Actually, he looks a bit like Andrew Jackson, a president that reputedly had more African blood that O’Bama does (Barry’s mostly white and Arab)

billhedrick on July 30, 2008 at 11:00 PM

Not even the nominee yet and already on the dollar bill. Can Rushmore be far behind?

Sandbar on July 30, 2008 at 11:06 PM

How about puttin’ The Dali Bama on a three (3) dollar bill?

DfDeportation on July 30, 2008 at 11:21 PM

Too bad Obama’s not Mexican. McCain would just let him have the election.

DwnSouthJukin on July 30, 2008 at 11:36 PM

Oops. Forgot the buffalo nickel?

Wait, is that Obama, right under the buffalo’s tail?

drunyan8315 on July 30, 2008 at 11:39 PM

JammieWearingFool on July 30, 2008 at 8:50 PM

I was thinking the 3 dollar bill.

As in,

Phoney as a…

TheCulturalist on July 30, 2008 at 11:46 PM

Obama doesn’t look like the other presidents on our currency? Nonsense. They’re all green, and Obama’s as green a candidate as they come.

DubiousD on July 30, 2008 at 11:52 PM

Geez, is he trying to set some record for preemptive claims of racism?

JamesB on July 31, 2008 at 12:23 AM