New McCain ad: “Celeb”; Update: Oops, McCain did it again, says Obama camp

posted at 11:59 am on July 30, 2008 by Allahpundit

I was all set to hate it per the Drudge teaser about cameos from Paris and Britney, but it’s actually surprisingly savvy. This is the third ad in nine days to spoof the cult of Obama but the first one to employ it to any useful end, pairing it with the shots of celebutante nitwits to make him look like a “famous for being famous” lightweight per the hot-button coup de grace. The true stroke of brilliance, though, is how it plays the media. Team Maverick is very shrewdly trying to close the money gap by using gimmicky spots that they know will be buzzed about — with the requisite free airplay — on cable news. Britney and Paris guarantee that this will end up on crap like Hardball, although I admit I’m surprised to see Drudge emerge from the tank long enough to tack it up at the top of the Report. Exit question via last night’s post: How is it that McCain’s camp is capable of ads more memorable than the Obama juggernaut?

Update: The boss was ahead of the curve.

Update: Humor answers humor.

Comments

Damn, that’s good. JMac certainly has a crack advertising staff. Keep them coming!

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on July 30, 2008 at 12:04 PM

I’ve always said, the more video shown of rabid obama fans chanting cheering screaming and smashing things, the better chance McCain wins.

Vincenzo on July 30, 2008 at 12:05 PM

Yeah, we keep denouncing Obama, and we keep seeing nothing from it. John will have to stop this kind of thing in September. After all, his signature McCain Campaign Finance Reform issue said no negative ads.

Snake307 on July 30, 2008 at 12:05 PM

Savvy indeed. Mad props to them for going negative on Obama, it’s the only way to win this thing.

warrenmr on July 30, 2008 at 12:06 PM

Yeah, Drudge’s lead prepared me for something awful. I was pleasantly surprised.

TheNolan on July 30, 2008 at 12:06 PM

Same here. But good job McCain people. The message was subtle yet forceful. Wasn’t McCain in Wedding Crashers?

Weight of Glory on July 30, 2008 at 12:07 PM

Hmm, 1 step forward, 10 steps backward! – McCain extends olive branch to Pelosi, Gore! .

Anita on July 30, 2008 at 12:08 PM

Wonderful ad. This is exactly what McCain needs to do. This ad succeeds in knocking down Obama’s “change agent” message (by focusing on his reluctance to “change” on energy and his penchant to raise taxes) and also pegs him as a lightweight (cheering crowd and Britney Spears). The punch line: Is this guy really ready to be President? Brilliant!

Hopefully some independent groups will start running ads really focusing on Obama’s radical associations and views, all concluding with: “Is this guy really ready to be President?”

It’s a wonderful way to say Obama doesn’t have the experience or the knowledge for the job, without nuking the fridge in the process.

Outlander on July 30, 2008 at 12:08 PM

warrenmr on July 30, 2008 at 12:06 PM

But John McCain can’t go negative much longer. He’s not allowed to campaign negative after September. Remember his campaign finance law? That’s right, no negative campaigning for sixty days before a general election, right when the rest of the population is going to pay attention.

Snake307 on July 30, 2008 at 12:09 PM

Nice. Short & to the point. Keep these coming McCain!

I’m sure it’ll be viewed as negative but it’ll be hard to argue from the Democrap (see, that is a negative) point since BO has stated these points.

VikingGoneWild on July 30, 2008 at 12:10 PM

McCain should have me on speed dial. I’ve been calling Ocarter the “Paris Hilton of politics”, specifically for “being famous for being famous” since he announced his candidacy.

ynot4tony2 on July 30, 2008 at 12:11 PM

I know how good an ad by how much it pisses liberals off. the messiah is an EMPTY SUIT, and this ad shows it.

Chudi on July 30, 2008 at 12:11 PM

Finally – the McCain team puts out an ad so snarky that even Allahpundit doesn’t snark it. He likes it!

It’s also as though they immediately translated three recently voiced suggestions for the McCain campaign into a single quick-hitting ad: Be more hip; emphasize that the energy problem is FOREIGN oil; don’t fumble the tax argument.

CK MacLeod on July 30, 2008 at 12:11 PM

But…but…but…how can this be? John McAmnesty said that he was going to run a positive ad on the issues! How can he now attack our Great and Glorious Leader? This racist attack simply shall not stand! The drive by’s shall not have any of this!!!

sabbott on July 30, 2008 at 12:11 PM

Rush: “I don’t think Obama went to Jerusalem’s Wailing Wall to leave a message. He went to say ‘I’m here, where’s my mail?”

RBMN on July 30, 2008 at 12:12 PM

That’s great, eventually Team McCain are going to have to come up with some inventive polities sometime. Or at least repeat some empty buzzwords to be identified with(community, creativity, entrepreneurship). Right now he owns nothing.

ninjapirate on July 30, 2008 at 12:13 PM

The true stroke of brilliance

I’m not so sure of the “brilliance” part here as it kind of makes McCain come off like a school girl jealous of the more popular girl in class. I am not sure that is what most Americans are looking for in a president.

MB4 on July 30, 2008 at 12:14 PM

I would have added one thing:

“He’s the biggest celebrity in the world”…
Britney, Paris, Hasselhoff, Obama.

The rest I’d leave as is.

Chickyraptor on July 30, 2008 at 12:14 PM

Loved it. The background chanting is actually creepier than dogpoo…

tree hugging sister on July 30, 2008 at 12:16 PM

Good one.

JustTruth101 on July 30, 2008 at 12:16 PM

This isn’t a negative ad, in my view.

It shows Osama Obama doing what he does, saying what he says.

No distortion, no twisting of words or cutting & pasting to make him out to be what he’s not.

It should make The Messiah’s leg-tingling disciples squirm. It simply shows him for the fool he is.

MrScribbler on July 30, 2008 at 12:17 PM

Snake307 on July 30, 2008 at 12:09 PM

I think you’re confused about something. Please explain what you’re referring to. I draw attention to it because you’re the second person on this thread to refer to this factoid.

CK MacLeod on July 30, 2008 at 12:23 PM

Put an Obama sticker on every pump, get people thinking.

- The Cat

MirCat on July 30, 2008 at 12:26 PM

Here’s the one problem with this ad. Modern politics is played in the “celebrity” arena. As I mentioned above, McCain himself has had many cameos (SNL, Leno, Wedding Crashers, etc.). What is the point of doing all that, if not to generate the kind of celebrity-style support from the “youth” vote that McCain is criticizing Obama for having? I guess the difference that McCain would point to is that “celeb” status isn’t all that he is. Fair enough. This is still a good ad though.

Weight of Glory on July 30, 2008 at 12:28 PM

Great! The Grand Old Party & its Grand Old Candidate have some cool ideas.

jgapinoy on July 30, 2008 at 12:31 PM

Glad to see the Pubs are still flailing….attacking Obama for being more famous than Fudge Haus McCain.

Why, exactly, is McCain famous, btw?

alphie on July 30, 2008 at 12:33 PM

Awwwright! That’s more like it!

Nail him on his energy position before he can weasel out of it!

petefrt on July 30, 2008 at 12:34 PM

I don’t like this ad very much. I think McCain would be better off sticking to the theme of his “summer of love” ad, i.e. “Don’t hope for _______, vote for it. McCain.” Obama needs to be skewered for his empty hopeychangey rhetoric, not for being an international rock star. This ad would have been better if it had that Powers Boothe voice at the end saying. “some guy giving a speech in Germany isn’t going to pay your gas bills. Don’t hope for lower gas prices, vote for them. McCain.”

rockmom on July 30, 2008 at 12:48 PM

Obama, Britney, Paris, all vacuous. But at least Obama can play basketball, and Britney can dance, and Paris can … can … did I mention Obama plays a mean game of basketball?

Paul-Cincy on July 30, 2008 at 12:53 PM

ynot4tony2 on July 30, 2008 at 12:11 PM

Good call!

TheBigOldDog on July 30, 2008 at 12:54 PM

Good ad, great audio.

TheNolan on July 30, 2008 at 12:06 PM

Can there be a lede/lead with no article or journalist?

The Race Card on July 30, 2008 at 12:55 PM

I want an Ad called, “The Education of Barak” that shows the pictures of all his Commie, Racist mentors describing what he learned from each of them. IBD wrote the script. All McCain’s people need to do is produce it.

TheBigOldDog on July 30, 2008 at 12:57 PM

That is a good ad.

Maxx on July 30, 2008 at 1:01 PM

Why, exactly, is McCain famous, btw?

alphie on July 30, 2008 at 12:33 PM

He’s not. He’s just a Patriot who’s sacrificed (by choice) a great deal for his country. He doesn’t need to make excuses about not showing affection for our military. He’s not interested in turning this into a new Communist State. He doesn’t hate anybody because of the color of their skin or their economic class. Nope. He’s not famous, he’s just a damn fine American. Even when I disagree with him, I respect him.

TheBigOldDog on July 30, 2008 at 1:02 PM

I do like it, but I wish they would change the “Ready to lead” therotic to the more descriptive, “Able to lead”. “Ready” is an intangible, so lots of people might be able to convince themselves of it. “Able”, however, requires proof. And there is none of that.

steadyrock on July 30, 2008 at 1:02 PM

Monica Crowley, how to Fix John McCain.

Dr Evil on July 30, 2008 at 1:04 PM

steadyrock on July 30, 2008 at 1:02 PM

I agree completely.

What has Obama done for this country? What sacrifice has he made? Who has he kept safe? Who’s life has he improved? What project has he completed? What organization(s) has he lead? What has this man done for anybody but himself?

TheBigOldDog on July 30, 2008 at 1:06 PM

What has McCain done, dog?

Besides dumping his wife for a rich child bride and screwing millions of seniors out of their retirement income?

Please don’t mention getting shot down….Vietnam turned out great once we left…he was on the wrong side.

alphie on July 30, 2008 at 1:12 PM

Why are y’all smart enough not to respond to a couple of trolls, but continue to respond to Alphie? Ignore it, and, eventually, it will go away.

Buford Gooch on July 30, 2008 at 1:19 PM

Vietnam turned out great once we left…he was on the wrong side.

alphie on July 30, 2008 at 1:12 PM

Dude….

Attila (Pillage Idiot) on July 30, 2008 at 1:20 PM

alphie on July 30, 2008 at 1:12 PM

Nice try. McCain signed a pre-nup before they got married. Their money has been separate the entire time they have been married.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on July 30, 2008 at 1:23 PM

alphie on July 30, 2008 at 1:12 PM

And therein the, “I’m a conservative” liar is completely exposed.

GO back to watching your porta-potty Alphie but try not to inhale any ore of the methane. It’s affecting your brain.

TheBigOldDog on July 30, 2008 at 1:25 PM

So Fudge Haus McCain doesn’t live in any of the 13 mansions his child bride owns?

I think the Geriatric Gigolo is enjoying his wife’s money every single day, Dr.

alphie on July 30, 2008 at 1:26 PM

You seem to be confusing “Fascist” and “Conservative”, Dog.

Nixon ran in ’68 as the guy who would get us out of Vietnam.

Have you forgotten?

Or are you really just a puppy?

alphie on July 30, 2008 at 1:29 PM

His “child bride” who was 25 years old when they met?

You’re dangerously close to trolling.

Allahpundit on July 30, 2008 at 1:31 PM

alphie on July 30, 2008 at 1:26 PM

So what are your feelings on Senator Lurch of Taxachusetts, the loser of the 2004 presidential election? Similar situation?

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on July 30, 2008 at 1:31 PM

McCain needs to wear a big-ass OIL DERRICK PIN on his lapel.

marklmail on July 30, 2008 at 1:34 PM

“McCain needs to wear a big-ass OIL DERRICK PIN on his lapel.”

Good idea. With a big ol’ American flag flying from it.

Contrast with the windbag from the Windy City.

NoDonkey on July 30, 2008 at 1:37 PM

I don’t think Kerry ever talked about cutting retirement benefits for those senior not lucky enough to marry rich, Dr.

alphie on July 30, 2008 at 1:38 PM

Barack Obama is a racist. TheBigOldDog is not.

It’s funny that now so many Republicans cast the same useless aspersions of “racist” against which they so vehemently rebelled. Not funny, tragic.

To believe that Obama is truly a racist, but then not find fault with Jesse Helms is a feat. Many Republicans have proved that such mental and moral contortions come quite easily.

The Race Card on July 30, 2008 at 1:40 PM

I don’t believe Barack Obama is racist – he uses people to advance himself, regardless of their race, color or creed.

My problem with Obama is that he’s completely unqualified to be President.

Stick his resume on a white guy, asian woman or Irish Setter and I would think exactly the same thing.

NoDonkey on July 30, 2008 at 1:42 PM

Do not feed the trolls!

Snidely Whiplash on July 30, 2008 at 1:47 PM

Asked to recall a single Obama ad; you’re right, I can’t. Had there been one aired on television, I’d have likely not been listening–I mute ads. But actually, I’m not sure that I’ve seen one. But even if I had, what has Obama to say that people aren’t sick of hearing?

Change! It’s summer, and no one feels like going out of their way to change for any reason. Besides, the damn price of gasoline, electricity, groceries and even water are audaciously expensive!

Hope! I hope Obama loses.

We Can Believe In THE CONSTITUTION but not empty promises that Obama hands out like candy. Geez, even if as dumb as kids and juveniles, the recipients know the disappointment of a dud.

International Dilletant! Obama’s best friends are terrorists and Marxists. Obama hasn’t a clue how to hold a real conversation. Just listen into the “secretly” taped conversation between Obama and the British Tory Leader David Cameron.

Obama Dilletant ’08

Obama, dud.

maverick muse on July 30, 2008 at 1:52 PM

McCain needs to do a photo op in ANWR (soon, while there’s still enough daylight) then on an offshore oil rig, and say that he wants to pay American workers to drill American oil, rather than Saudi princes and Hugo Chavez.

Also, a number of ads showing Obama now vs. Obama last month on lots of issues, followed by “Do you know what this man would do if he was elected President? Neither do we!”

Steve Z on July 30, 2008 at 1:55 PM

McCain was going to do a photo op on an offshore oil rig until a hurricane and an oil spill got in the way, Steve.

alphie on July 30, 2008 at 1:58 PM

Although Obama does abuse everyone, because he throws the “racist” accusation at anyone who refuses to agree with his opinion he meets the qualification of a racial bigot. In other words, Obama is Obama’s worst enemy. Among his multitude of character flaws, Obama is the racist he condemns.

maverick muse on July 30, 2008 at 2:00 PM

I don’t think anyone needs to do a photo op in ANWR. There must be plenty of video footage archived for use with a voice over message; be fiscally responsible and prevent creating any carbon footprint in the message.

maverick muse on July 30, 2008 at 2:04 PM

The Race Card on July 30, 2008 at 1:40 PM

I invite you to show me once where I have been hypocritical on that issue and where I once defended Jesse Helms in my entire life. You really ought to have at least some evidence before you accuse people of hypocrisy.

Call me crazy but when you go to a church preaching racism for 20 years I’m going to think you’re a racist too.

When your mentor growing up is Frank Marshall Davis, and he, “plied his impressionable guest with liberal doses of whiskey and advice, including: Never trust the white establishment” I’m going to think you’re a racist. When you call your own Grandmother a, “typical white person” I’m going to think there’s an excellent chance you’re a racist. You don’t like it? Too bad. I call them the way I see them but unlike you, I at least have some evidence for my accusations.

TheBigOldDog on July 30, 2008 at 2:06 PM

Excellent ad!

Keep it up, McCain!

John the Libertarian on July 30, 2008 at 2:14 PM

Have any examples of his accusing “anyone who refuses to agree with his opinion” as racist?

That would really make your case. Without citing specifics, you sound a lot like Obama.

The Race Card on July 30, 2008 at 2:18 PM

I dig the Paris shot, his followers are Paris Hilton…priceless.

right2bright on July 30, 2008 at 2:23 PM

Without citing specifics, you sound a lot like Obama.

The Race Card on July 30, 2008 at 2:18 PM

Isn’t that what you just did to me? So I guess that makes you a lot like Obama huh?

TheBigOldDog on July 30, 2008 at 2:29 PM

The Race Card on July 30, 2008 at 2:18 PM

Here let me introduce you to Obama, the racist:

The point I was making was not that my grandmother harbors any racial animosity. She doesn’t. But she is a typical white person who, uh, if she sees somebody on the street that she doesn’t know there’s a reaction that’s been been bred into our experiences that don’t go away and that sometimes come out in the wrong way and that’s just the nature of race in our society. We have to break through it..

And these gems:

“It is this world, a world where cruise ships throw away more food in a day than most residents of Port-au-Prince see in a year, where white folks’ greed runs a world in need, apartheid in one hemisphere, apathy in another hemisphere…That’s the world! On which hope sits!”

‘I ceased to advertise my mother’s race at the age of 12 or 13, when I began to suspect that by doing so I was ingratiating myself to whites.’

“I found a solace in nursing a pervasive sense of grievance and animosity against my mother?s race.”

“There was something about him that made me wary, a little too sure of himself, maybe. And white.”

“I never emulate white men and brown men whose fates didn’t speak to my own. It was into my father’s image, the black man, son of Africa, that I’d packed all the attributes I sought in myself, the attributes of Martin and Malcolm, Dubois and Mandela.”

All of those words from his book Dreams of my Father…
Do you want more?

right2bright on July 30, 2008 at 2:33 PM

Before you go getting all butthurt, read what I wrote. I cite your comment but do not directly implicate you as hypocritical. If you feel that way, don’t blame me.

Your comment highlighted a point I was making. I stand by my comment that many Republicans are full of shit on the race issue. I don’t know if you’re one of many or independently annoying.

That is a perfectly safe and sane assumption.

When you call your own Grandmother a, “typical white person

I’ve been described by many whites, including friends and family, as not typically black or “not like other blacks.” I know many whites who use similar phrasings about many blacks. Are these people racist too?

Fact is that the past several years have been comical in that many of the types of accusations against which I have defended white Republicans are now being used by those same people.

I think that many Republicans apply standards to other which when applied to themselves, would fail miserably. It’s all the rage. Deny it if you must. But we have a race problem in our country; Republicans are part of country. Right?

We can call it “their” problem and point to Bush’s cabinet as exculpatory evidence of Republican color-blindness. But it’s still the same old crap.

Slow down BigDog. This ain’t your puppy’s pissing match. I don’t mind your comments. I find them interesting if not predictable.

My remarks stand as they are. Yours lie where you spilled them.

The Race Card on July 30, 2008 at 2:36 PM

TheBigOldDog on July 30, 2008 at 2:29 PM

That’s a great point if could follow it. I’m too hungry now. I’ll return post-lunch and maybe make more sense then…probably not.

I appreciate your thoughtful and vigorous disagreement.

The Race Card on July 30, 2008 at 2:39 PM

I just made sense of your last retort; It sucked. The call for specificity is false. I did not accuse you of anything. I used your comment to refer to a broader issue. That’s the deal.

lunch

The Race Card on July 30, 2008 at 2:46 PM

His “child bride” who was 25 years old when they met?

Allahpundit on July 30, 2008 at 1:31 PM

Comparatively speaking she was an old woman as Mohammad’s bride was only 6 when they met.

Of course, and again comparatively speaking, Mohammad was about 30 at the time and McCain was what, about 85 then?

MB4 on July 30, 2008 at 2:46 PM

MB4 on July 30, 2008 at 2:46 PM

That is priceless…comparing a 6 year old to a 25 year old…even for you that is the bottom of the barrel…

right2bright on July 30, 2008 at 3:01 PM

MB4 on July 30, 2008 at 2:46 PM

You write like a girl–not a woman, but a girl who’s silly and giddy but turns cranky and spitefull when confronted or disagreed with: a brat who enjoys annoying the adults

You hijack threads with your girl-remarks, which often make no sense at all, are OT, and just…..odd: Song lyrics, obscure quotes, crank theories, and a lot of femme ‘bon mots’ which you obviously think are clever–but aren’t

Janos Hunyadi on July 30, 2008 at 3:34 PM

Look for a payback ad from moveon.org flashing images of Hitler and the devil along with McCain.

Grafted on July 30, 2008 at 3:51 PM

I like the bit. Negative ads will work very well against the Intern Marxist.

Mojave Mark on July 30, 2008 at 4:19 PM

I’m gonna vote for McCain and all, but damn. He looks like Col. Tigh at the very end…

john1schn on July 30, 2008 at 4:58 PM

Gee McCain really seems to be churning out the negative campaign ads. I wonder why he’d feel the need to do that.

crr6 on July 30, 2008 at 6:33 PM

crr6 on July 30, 2008 at 6:33 PM

Because the race has become Obama vs. Not Obama. That’s because McCain failed to put together an interesting theme in the months since he won the Republican nomination. McCain now has to give voters enough doubt about Obama as a President. He has to prevent Obama from sealing the deal. The alternative to Obama is the tried and true McCain, old man warts and all.

The problem is McCain has to go negative but not in a way that harms his brand of politics with honor. So he goes after Obama’s cult of personality.

seanhackbarth on July 31, 2008 at 12:33 AM

Allah, it has to do with Team Obama resting on their laurels. They’re living on the glow of the MSM. Team McCain on the other hand knows they have to get really creative to get attention. Being the underdog is helping them.

seanhackbarth on July 31, 2008 at 12:35 AM