McCain: You know who I respect? Nancy Pelosi and Al Gore

posted at 3:54 pm on July 30, 2008 by Allahpundit

People keep e-mailing about this. Why?

“I respect Speaker Pelosi. I think she’s one of the great American success stories,” McCain said during an interview with The Chronicle prior to a fundraiser at the Fairmont Hotel in San Francisco.

“We talk about (New York Sen.) Hillary Clinton and her inspiration to millions of Americans. Speaker Pelosi has been an inspiration as well” in a role that is “in many ways … more powerful than the president.”…

“I agree with his [energy independence] goal,” the Arizona senator said Monday of Gore’s idea. “I may disagree with all the ways of getting there. But I again want to emphasize my respect for the former vice president’s leadership on this issue and his continuous leadership. And I am in no way trying to get into a fight with him.”

Obama’s bounce is deflating by the moment, Hillary’s buddies are grumbling about Ludacris, and fully one-third of uncommitted voters are Dems. If tossing a few rhetorical bouquets at Pelosi and Gore endears him to would-be McCainocrats, what’s the harm? The more negative he goes on Obama, the more liberal ass he has to kiss to preserve the Maverick brand. Just paying a toll on the road to victory.

Exit question: I ask a version of this every day, but why are so many uncommitteds Democrats instead of Republicans? I still prefer the party identification theory — that a lot of these people are newly minted Dems who used to be centrists but have drifted slightly left, and are now caught between a liberal and center-rightist like McCain — but if you want to tease me with an argument about Hillaryite revolt, I won’t object.

Update: Tease me again!

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Lord love Penguin, Bruce Wayne shtick?

It must be clickitis Wed.

Speakup on July 30, 2008 at 6:07 PM

I feel ill….. the man has no sense at all. Maybe he wouldn’t make a good President. Hell, I said that months ago……

ultracon on July 30, 2008 at 6:11 PM

Is there any left-wing butt he won’t kiss?

whitetop on July 30, 2008 at 6:12 PM

“But I again want to emphasize my respect for the former vice president’s leadership on this issue and his continuous leadership. And I am in no way trying to get into a fight with him.”

John S. McCain, Albert Arnold Gore, Jr. would chew you up like a wad of beef jerky and spit you out into the gutter. You already are in a fight with him, and every other looney leftist in America.

gryphon202 on July 30, 2008 at 6:13 PM

Is there any left-wing butt he won’t kiss?

I can easily think of several that I would like to aim the tip of my boot at high velocity and with extreme prejudice towards!

pilamaye on July 30, 2008 at 6:17 PM

And from this line of reasoning, Kim Jong Il is one of the great North Korean success stories.

whitetop on July 30, 2008 at 6:17 PM

…the more liberal ass he has to kiss…

Aye, there’s the rub.

catmman on July 30, 2008 at 6:20 PM

McCain is retarded. Obama is a socialist. Aaahh, what a bright future we have in store for us!!

Griz on July 30, 2008 at 6:29 PM

McCain has to say nice things about some Dems–it gives his attacks on BO credibility.

jgapinoy on July 30, 2008 at 6:52 PM

What is it about social conservatives and evangelicals that you hate so much that you find every way possible to alienate the GOP base. …?

highhopes on July 30, 2008 at 4:20 PM

I don’t “hate conservatives” — I am one, thankyouverymuch. But I’m a one-issue voter this time around, and that issue is the war in Iraq. We canNOT hang the Iraqis out to dry. In the first place, it would be morally wrong, especially after we did it to them once already in ’91, and in the second place, if we abandon Iraq, what other country would ever believe our word again on anything? The war against militant Islam is far, far from over. I don’t expect it to end in my lifetime.
Obama says he will pull the troops out. I believe him when he says that.
McCain says he’ll leave troops there as long as necessary (“100 years”, in the classic misquote that the liberals love to throw at him). I believe him when he says that.
McCain was not my guy in the primary. I may go into the voting booth with a clothespin on my nose, but I will go in, and I will vote for him, because Vietnam will look like a kiddie park compared to Iraq if Obama hauls our troops out before their mission is done.
Letting the country go to Hell for four years just so we can say “I told you so” is not worth it. If we really want to see conservative Republicans running the government, we need to start grooming them at the city and state level. I don’t see that happening right now, frankly, because the best and brightest young conservatives go into business or the military, not into politics or civil service. I believe the military is the best pool we have from which to draw relatively young, dynamic conservative candidates. Therefore, we can’t allow it to be weakened by the catastrophe in Iraq that Obama clearly intends to bring about.
Those of you who are planning to stay home on Election Day, show me where my argument is wrong. You’re not happy about the field of candidates — neither am I. But we have no better ones this year. In four years, if we win the war in Iraq, we’ll have colonels and generals coming off the field who will be able to use their leadership experience in elected office. But we must not lose that war!

Mary in LA on July 30, 2008 at 6:53 PM

Because the Conservatives have all fled the republican party and now consider themselves Independents?

Corsair on July 30, 2008 at 7:01 PM

Just about the time I get some respect for McCain he jumps in bed with the LIBS.

mixplix on July 30, 2008 at 7:07 PM

Romeo13 on July 30, 2008 at 4:34 PM

i keep saying a mccain presidency will have NO coattails and will cost us congressional seats.

chasdal on July 30, 2008 at 7:14 PM

jgapinoy on July 30, 2008 at 6:52 PM

he could pick two better ones. these are bottom of the barrel.

chasdal on July 30, 2008 at 7:15 PM

Quoting myself:

I should add that a disaster in Iraq is exactly what Obama wants to happen. Remember, he cut his teeth on ’60s radicalism, learning at the feet of its masters. Bill Ayers – remember him? Saul Alinsky? Frank Marshall Whatsizname who fed the teenage Obama whiskey and Communism? All these old revolutionaries brought about the U.S. defeat in Vietnam specifically to destabilize and weaken the “Establishment” so that it would succumb to the Revolution. (They got rather too close for comfort, IMHO.)

Those old radicals, and their spiritual descendants, will populate Obama’s cabinet and staff, make his policies, and become his abortion-pushing Supreme Court nominees. Is that what you want to see? By staying home in November, you won’t be merely punishing the Republican Party for not picking a more conservative nominee: The damage Obama and his radical court are sure to inflict will be so great that the whole country may never recover. Who would stop him? Congress? Not hardly. The judiciary? Wrong. The people? How? Obama is a Chicago pol, never forget that, and what he or his advisers don’t know about rigging elections probably isn’t worth knowing.
Is a protest vote, or non-vote, worth all that? I say no.

McCain is no better than Obama on the issues of border control or taxes, but he certainly is better on the issues of the War on Terror and abortion, and unfortunately, no one who is better than McCain on conservative issues has a prayer of getting elected.

McCain ’08: Here, have a clothespin. :-/

Mary in LA on July 30, 2008 at 7:19 PM

I’m sure you could find Reagan saying nice things about Tip O’Neil and Walter Mondale as well.

Hollowpoint on July 30, 2008 at 5:25 PM

Those two were not nearly at the low level as Gore and Pelosi are. Not even close. Like I said, Juan has taken it to a whole new level by at least an order of magnitude and he seems to fully mean it.

MB4 on July 30, 2008 at 7:39 PM

Nothing major to be worried about. McCain is simply not burning bridges, so to speak. When he’s President, he’ll need to woo the Dem’s. He can’t do that by alienating them.

JetBoy on July 30, 2008 at 4:10 PM

Precisely. CALM DOWN, people.

I mean it: Listen to the words, all the words, not just the ones that make you mad. It’s called context.

HotAirJosef on July 30, 2008 at 7:43 PM

McCain: You know who I respect? Nancy Pelosi and Al Gore

And they certainly respect him.

Zorro on July 30, 2008 at 8:00 PM

not.

Zorro on July 30, 2008 at 8:05 PM

center-rightist like McCain —

Get it right.
McCain isn’t a center-rightist.
He is a slightly hawkish anti-conservative centrist.

LegendHasIt on July 30, 2008 at 8:11 PM

JetBoy on July 30, 2008 at 4:10 PM

Precisely. CALM DOWN, people.

HotAirJosef on July 30, 2008 at 7:43 PM

Good luck getting them to understand this. They are too short sighted to see past their own hate.

wise_man on July 30, 2008 at 8:20 PM

So McCain feels obligated to suck up to a woman leading a Congress with the lowest congressional approval rating ever? Great plan.

CP on July 30, 2008 at 8:20 PM

And, McCain sucks up to Gore on the very day Rush Limbaugh revisits his own debate with Al Gore the Alarmist 16 years ago, showing that he hasn’t changed his tune in all that time and nothing has happened. Great timing.

CP on July 30, 2008 at 8:22 PM

Well, we all know he’s a worthless fucking idiot. That is far more provable than anything offered up as “proof” of his beloved Global Warming crapola.

Let’s be honest – his only utility to us conservatives is to keep the White House out of the hands of the Dims. If he can do that, that’s all he has to do.

TexasJew on July 30, 2008 at 8:28 PM

wise_man on July 30, 2008 at 8:20 PM

Interesting… anyone who disagrees with you is a HATER?

Isn’t that the verbiage of the Leftist Ethnic Lobby?

I don’t hate McCain… but that does not mean I’ll vote FOR him.

Folks like you are constantly telling us our choice, which was given us by the blood spilled by our ancestors, is only a negative choice. We have to vote AGAINST the other guy. There is nothing in the Constitution that says this is a two party system, even though people like you buy into that idea, and try to force everyone else into your false dichotomy.

Sad when you insult people who think a lot like you, but disagree on priorities of issues.

Romeo13 on July 30, 2008 at 8:39 PM

He is a slightly hawkish anti-conservative centrist.
LegendHasIt on July 30, 2008 at 8:11 PM

To which I should have added….

….Who., on a personal AND professional basis feels more comfortable with and affection for the Left, than he does with and for the Right.

LegendHasIt on July 30, 2008 at 8:45 PM

Interesting… anyone who disagrees with you is a HATER?
Romeo13 on July 30, 2008 at 8:39 PM

Wrong, Romeo13. And you know the difference.

And yes, allowing Barack Obama to win, is the ‘wrong choice.’ If you are a conservative, you should also be able to tell the difference.

wise_man on July 30, 2008 at 8:48 PM

wise_man on July 30, 2008 at 8:20 PM

whats to understand? it’s meaningless flattery to some of his colleagues. that he will have to work w/ in the future regardless of how wins in november.

but he is supposed to be the “straight talk express”. and the “straight talk express” wouldnt compliment two people who are pushing policies designed to destroy and impoverish the hopes and dreams of millions of Americans. make no doubt about it. if al gore has his way no one will ever climb out of poverty in America ever again. in fact many will slide down into that abyss. and pelosi is trying to help w/ tyrannical policies in the house, refusing to vote on bills designed to help give Americans relief at the gas pumps.

he should follow bush’s example and call out congress on its inability to act. show some his leadership skills. he’s supposed to be so good at working across the aisle, let him demonstrate it on this issue. but, no, he cant do that. he only goes across the aisle to help lib legislation. he has no influence when it comes to pulling dems over to the repub. side.

and i’m willing to bet it will be less than a month before one, if not both of these two spit in his eye. he will never learn.

chasdal on July 30, 2008 at 8:51 PM

wise_man on July 30, 2008 at 8:48 PM

no, romeo got it right. you’re the guy who was suggesting bans for the people who dont cheerlead for mccain. or maybe just suggesting they go to other websites. regardless, anyone who doesnt get a stiffy for mccain you attack no matter what the reason. you’re barely a one-trick pony and a boring troll.

chasdal on July 30, 2008 at 8:53 PM

chasdal on July 30, 2008 at 8:53 PM

And you call me a troll? Amusing.

wise_man on July 30, 2008 at 8:54 PM

I’m done . I’ll vote for who I want… I’ve tried my best… good bye, friends… my time here is done…. I wish you all well.

MNDavenotPC on July 30, 2008 at 8:55 PM

There is nothing in the Constitution that says this is a two party system…

True, Romeo13, but not even Teddy Roosevelt, as enormously popular as he was, could pull off the creation of a viable third party. Ross Perot might have, but he wasn’t “in it to win it” — IIRC, he was just running to keep Bush 41 from winning a second term.

The result of both those elections was that the Democrat won, and the nation suffered. :-P

I suppose my favorite third party is the Libertarian Party, but I would be a lot more sympathetic to them if they didn’t insist on starting at the top. It seems to be “White House or nothing” with them. If they started running LP candidates for the Senate, the House, governorships, state assembly, or even small offices such as city councillors, sheriffs, or (this would totally rock!) judges, I would take them a lot more seriously as an actual political party with the actual intent of running the country. Since we only ever hear about the LP candidate for President, I dismiss the the LP as essentially unserious, nothing but a spoiler. Same for the Constitution Party, AIP, etc. (Not to mention all the radical weirdo parties like the Greens, Peace & Freedom, etc., but I never want to see any of them anywhere near public office!)

Mary in LA on July 30, 2008 at 8:56 PM

I mentioned this before, If McCain actually wins, It’s going to be wonderful to see all the democrats moan and whine, along with all of the people here who also wanted what the democrats wanted, for McCain to loose. The wailing and gnashing of teeth by both groups will be music to my ears.

And your version of events here is false, chasdal. But hey, go ahead and believe that crap, if it makes you happy. I can’t stop you.

wise_man on July 30, 2008 at 8:57 PM

wise_man on July 30, 2008 at 8:54 PM

yeah, i am calling you a troll. you just proved it. you made no mention of the previous post where i explained why these two are not worthy of respect and how mccain should deal w/ them if he were a serious leader. but you jump on a post where i use “stiffy” so you can try to poke fun and make it look silly. however, when anyone reads your posts and sees how you never discuss mccain on the issues they see how you are. you have two responses, “what makes you think obama will be better” and “mccain is better than obama”. hmm, i guess its just one response phrased differently.

chasdal on July 30, 2008 at 9:00 PM

What do you do when you don’t want either of the candidates for Prez?

whiskeytango on July 30, 2008 at 9:02 PM

wise_man on July 30, 2008 at 8:57 PM

what is false according to you?

chasdal on July 30, 2008 at 9:03 PM

Well, #1, McCain is better than Obama. If you have been paying attention to the news for the last 12 months, I shouldn’t have to even attempt to try to convince you of this basic truth, if you are a conservative.

And #2, I pointed out the part of your rant where you trolled me. And then called me a troll. You repeated the same incorrect lame a$$ed lie that I call every person who disagrees with McCain blah blah blah. Missed the point. People lie about McCain. They don’t tell the truth. The don’t like the fact that he’s not conservative enough, and they want to punish him because their candidate lost to him by making the false claim that McCain’s a liberal. Or whatever.

If you want to not support the republican candidate and stand by as all of the democrats vote for Obama, then fine. I can’t stop you. You can subscribe to all of the democrat’s newsletters that also trash McCain for all I care.

wise_man on July 30, 2008 at 9:08 PM

chasdal on July 30, 2008 at 9:03 PM

Example #1: “I don’t like McCain.”

That is not false. It’s an accurate statement.

Example #2: “McCain is going to be just like Obama, McCain is a socialist and will pick Nancy Pelosi as his VP, because he hates conservatives”

And that is false. It’s opinion, not based on fact. It is without merit.

There you go.

wise_man on July 30, 2008 at 9:13 PM

Mary in LA on July 30, 2008 at 8:56 PM

I so love revisionist history…

Perot “wanted” Bush to loose? It wasn’t about the over rideing political necessity to balance the budget??? You know, that same deficit which has now destoryed the worth of the American Dollar? That same deficit which is the root cause of all our economic problems right now?

If the dollar was worth what it was in 1980, we’d be paying about $70 a barrel for oil. You can thank your two partys for destroying our economy by not understanding that you can’t borrow your way to prosperity.

Romeo13 on July 30, 2008 at 9:15 PM

center-rightist like McCain

McCain is not a “center-rightist”. He’s a liberal who makes right wing noises from time to time because he is in the Republican Party. Alas.

flenser on July 30, 2008 at 9:21 PM

That’s not true. The result of Perot’s run was to drag politics in this country to the right. Bill Clinton was a lot less liberal than McCain is.

flenser on July 30, 2008 at 9:23 PM

It’s interesting that the Democrats McCain kisses up to are always the far left ones, never the Blue Dogs.

A very generous interpetation. Based on the last ten years it seem safe to say that McCain is not kissing far left ass because he thinks he needs to, but because he likes to.

flenser on July 30, 2008 at 9:27 PM

Example #3:

flenser on July 30, 2008 at 9:21 PM

And this is a lie.

wise_man on July 30, 2008 at 9:48 PM

flenser on July 30, 2008 at 9:27 PM

Newsflash to flenser:ABC: McCain “now seriously considering” Lieberman for VP … The same Lieberman who the democrats kiced out of the party because of “the kiss” with Bush. So much for your second theory.

Unless, in your universe, Lieberman is a “far-left” liberal.

wise_man on July 30, 2008 at 9:51 PM

Bill Clinton was a lot less liberal than McCain is.

flenser on July 30, 2008 at 9:23 PM

Not true. McCain is less liberal than Clinton. Not much, though. He did nearly leave the Republican party, remember. Twice.

MadisonConservative on July 30, 2008 at 11:16 PM

Twice.
MadisonConservative on July 30, 2008 at 11:16 PM

According to the New York Times, Not McCain. (In the spring of 2004, the media began to whisper how John Kerry was considering McCain as his running mate. ) And Arianna Huffington claimed that he didn’t vote for Bush. I’m sure you believe her version of events over the truth on this one as well?

McCain: Kerry Never Offered Me VP Slot, but Bush Did
Dick Cheney — Bush’s second choice

Look, I don’t want to be Vice President of the United States, I do not want to leave the Republican party, I would not be Vice President of the United States on either ticket. I told President Bush when he asked me in 2000 if, when he asked me if I was interested, I said I was not interested.

SNOW: Right. But, so- I want to just lay to rest once and for all: never approached you, never hinted that he wanted to talk to you about being vice president. All that kind of stuff was made up.
McCAIN: Well, I cannot attest to that. All I can tell you is my conversations with him were private conversations, but he (John Kerry) never offered it.

wise_man on July 30, 2008 at 11:25 PM

Lying about John McCain and taking the liberal’s version of events is like breathing for you. Why is that?

wise_man on July 30, 2008 at 11:26 PM

Not coming back to refute my accurate comments, MadisonConservative?

Good.

wise_man on July 30, 2008 at 11:34 PM

Is this a serious question?

People keep e-mailing about this. Why?

If so, the answer is: Because those of us who will reluctantly cast our votes for “Maverick” in November (and then vomit ourselves to sleep that night) are seriously wondering just how long it will be before McCain *completely* loses his mind…..

That slipperly slope is getting slipperier by the day.

seanrobins on July 30, 2008 at 11:46 PM

I try not to respond to you, considering that if I had God come down and tell you not to vote for McCain, you’d claim God himself had MDS, but I digress. Not sure what I need to refute.

The first instance was in the spring of 2001, when one of McCain’s top aides, John Weaver, approached Thomas Downey, a former Democratic Congressman from New York, and floated the idea of McCain becoming a democrat or an independent who would caucus with the democrats.

And I might add that the New York Times endorsed McCain. Short memory?

So let’s add up here. He did it once before. The rumor is that he did it again, when the presumptive GOP nominee was someone he was adversarial towards, and who also happened to be a Vietnam vet(though for Kerry, that is in quotes). The NYT, the paper who endorsed McCain, released this after their endorsement.

Silly me. I should just believe whatever McCain says, like when he said he never supported amnesty. I know, I know, how dare I link to that. He never lied. Must just be that ol’ MDS kicking in. I think they call it Juan Hernandez syndrome.

MadisonConservative on July 31, 2008 at 12:37 AM

You know who I respect?

Republicans whom aren’t RINO’s and don’t cowtow to the opposition before they actually lose just to save their backside in the short time they have left in the political arena.

SilverStar830 on July 31, 2008 at 1:15 AM

chasdal, good point.

What I’ve come to think about McCain is the straight talk express doesn’t mean truth, it means edgy. Like Obama, whose platform is just anti whatever Bush is for, McCain was to be edgy, bipartisan. STE is just another clever expression that at the end of the day, sadly, means nothing.

Spirit of 1776 on July 31, 2008 at 9:21 AM

I try not to respond to you,
MadisonConservative on July 31, 2008 at 12:37 AM

You don’t try hard enough.

And John Weaver is not John McCain.

And you might add that the New York Times endorsed McCain, which is completely irrelevant to the fact that you made a false claim that McCain tried to leave the republican party, twice. And you still take the word of the democrats and lie about McCain as easily as you breath.

And you also talk about Juan Hernandez, when the rebuttal to your lie is laid out for all to see.

Typical.

wise_man on July 31, 2008 at 10:23 AM

You don’t try hard enough.

wise_man on July 31, 2008 at 10:23 AM

First time I’ve ever seen you type something that was true.

MadisonConservative on July 31, 2008 at 11:17 AM

And I have yet to see you type anything that is true.

wise_man on July 31, 2008 at 11:22 AM

So you lie about McCain and believe the democrats version of events as easily as you draw breath, MadisonConservative.

Why is that?

wise_man on July 31, 2008 at 11:23 AM

To say McCain is a RINO is an understatement. I’m sure Peloser and the Goracle will return the love if they get the chance. McCain’s appeasement of these losers is like verbal pornography.

volsense on July 31, 2008 at 1:17 PM

Romeo13 on July 30, 2008 at 9:15 PM

Romeo13, I stand by what I said regarding Ross Perot’s campaign, 100%. Nothing “revisionist” about it.

The evidence that Ross Perot never intended to win the Presidency is that when he was doing so well — too well — he shut down his campaign (incidentally, breaking the hearts of all his supporters and volunteers). Then when GHW Bush rebounded, he restarted his campaign, just in time to get just enough votes to keep GHWB from winning re-election. Don’t you remember that stop-and-start business?

Yes, he talked a good game about balancing the budget. He said all the right things. He got people excited and enthusiastic — remember the statue of him that his supporters put up in front of his campaign HQ? If he had actually meant what he said, he would have been brilliant in office. (I would have voted for him!) But it was all a sham, as his actions proved, and his little game of revenge was a great loss to the country.

Mary in LA on July 31, 2008 at 1:49 PM