ABC: McCain “now seriously considering” Lieberman for VP

posted at 9:29 pm on July 30, 2008 by Allahpundit

He’s going to transform the party — by turning us into hawkish Democrats? Nuance.

There’s a bigger point — and this initial volley, they say, lays the groundwork for it. They will be sharpening McCain’s message that he, not Obama, is the true change agent, a man who’s repeatedly taken unpopular stands, made the hard calls and forged bipartisan alliances.

Part of the calculus now is how his VP choice will further sharpen that message. There is significant support among top McCain advisers that he make a “transformative” pick who would change the Republican Party — someone who would appeal to moderate Republicans and Democrats…

A person who fills that bill, these advisers say, is Joe Lieberman.

Lieberman, an Independent Democrat, flatly denied his interest to ABC’s Ron Claiborne earlier this month, but McCain is now seriously considering him as that “transformative” pick, sources tell ABC News…

What’s more, some McCain advisers believe Lieberman would dramatically enhance the point they are now trying to make about Obama in this “celebrity” ad campaign.

McCain and Lieberman are anti-celebrities, the argument goes. They have, as one top adviser said, felt the heat after taking unpopular positions because they were willing to do “what’s right for the country” — whatever it meant for their own popularity.

Good news for that unpredictable five percent in the middle he needs to win, not so good for, er, everyone else in America. Are evangelicals going to vote for a guy who scored 100% on NARAL’s annual report card? Are Reagan conservatives jittery about McCain’s maverickiness going to feel reassured knowing Al Gore’s choice for VP is waiting in the wings? Is the left going to reach hitherto unscaled heights of apoplexy at the thought of the one pol they hate more than George Bush somehow ending up on the Republican ticket? (No, no, and yes, respectively, if you’re scoring at home.) Think of it in practical terms. Assume the worst happens and through some misfortune Vice President Lieberman becomes President Lieberman. Either the Democrats’ animus towards him results in hopeless gridlock in Congress or the breach is healed and we’ve got a lefty executive working with a lefty legislature towards common goals — Iraq excepted, of course. I like Liebs; I don’t like the idea. But the signs are there if you’re willing to look…

Exit question: Maybe the left, true to its proud tradition of honoring dissent, will forgive Joementum his apostasy? Hmmm.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

I love Leiberman but not for VP.

RobCon on July 31, 2008 at 2:09 PM

Of course, you still float that arguement that McCain is a ‘true conservative’ so I guess we can glean from that that you’ll believe almost anything.

I think even McCain has given up telling this particular lie.

highhopes on July 31, 2008 at 2:13 PM

Of course, you still float that arguement that McCain is a ‘true conservative’
austinnelly on July 31, 2008 at 1:37 PM

That comment is not accurate.

People love to come in here and claim that McCain is a liberal. That is not true. Any accounting for his votes (Such as the ACU)as an indications as to what he supports and rejects by his actions place him in the conservative arena. He is not as conservative as others, and he is no where near being a liberal.

These lies about McCain are false. Just as much as the claim that Lieberman is a democrat is also false.

“You really think this is the best ticket? “

No, I don’t. I don’t want to see Obama beat McCain in a two man race where one of them is guaranteed to be the winner, and the other the loser. How difficult is this for you to understand?

but that you actually think Lieberman on a GOP ticket is a good thing;

Where on earth do you come up with this complete BS, austinnelly??

God I hope he doesn’t do this. He needs to pick a stronger conservative that isn’t an old white guy like him to balance out the ticket.
wise_man on July 30, 2008 at 10:01 PM

Next time, try to actually read what I write here before you spew your lame a$$ed BS, Mmmmm kay?

wise_man on July 31, 2008 at 2:25 PM

Utter BS! You sir are the liar!!!

McCain is a moderate Democrat with a liberal agenda. He supports no-questions-asked amnesty. He supports the business crushing provisions of Kyoto. He is against drilling in ANWR. He bargained away First Amendement rights for Russ Feingold’s approval. He has stood in oppostion to GWB, denying qualified conservative jurists their place on the bench because Democrats didn’t like them. His lifetime ACU rating may be acceptable but if you just factor in the eight years he has been showing his true colors because he didn’t get the 2000 nomination and you will see that McCain is a political traitor unfit to be running for office as a Republican.

QED- McCain is a liberal.

Question for ya wise_man. You seem to be one of the few ardent McCain supporters who seem absolutely enamored with a man that many of us social conservatives and evangelicals despise, loathe, and mistrust. Instead of railing against posters who call a spade a spade by properly labeling McCain as a liberal, why don’t you make the case for the the man you so clearly love.

You’re the only one here who seems truly excited about McCain. Tell us why. Not why he’s better than Obama but why we should put aside our legitimate distrust and hatred and join you in your unquestioning and unconditional support of the man who was calling me a racist last year for not supporting his amnesty scheme. Why we should get out there and beat the drum for McCain after he abridged the First Amendment rights. Don’t throw out strawmen about SCOTUS nominees or other such bogeymen if Democrats win but why we should join you in your McCain frenzy.

Let’s be honest here, McCain has few supporters here as loyal as you. What are we missing when we see him more interested in listening to liberals and endorsing anti-conservative positions on the very issues that matter most to the social conservatives who are (were until now anyway) the base of the GOP. Such a staunch supporter of McCain owes it to your idol to explain all this to us backwards Jesus Freaks who know that McCain is a liberal.

highhopes on July 31, 2008 at 3:04 PM

highhopes on July 31, 2008 at 3:04 PM

McCain is not a moderate democrat.

I am not enamored with McCain. As I may have stated in the past, I understand that this is a two man race between him and Obama, and I don’t want Obama to win. It sure seems like some people here do, with the way that they have been so completely unhinged and supporting the same thing as the democrats this year, to destroy John McCain.

I am not “truly excited about McCain,” because he was not my choice, but he got the most votes to win the republican nominee by the votes of the republicans in the primary. Now that the republican primary is over, we have the choice to support him, or allow the democrat to win. I don’t want the democrat to win, and I don’t accept this attempt by some people here on hotair to make McCain out to be some ghoul that he is not.

I do not have “unquestioning and unconditional support” of McCain. To quote Newt Gingrich, “As a citizen, I would rather have a President McCain that we fight with 20 percent of the time than a President Clinton or a President Obama who we fight with 90 percent of the time.” And I think that more conservatives on this site should consider this comment by Newt.

I am not doing any “frenzy” of the sort. What you seem to be doing, however, is very much an anti-McCain frenzy. You only look foolish for doing so.

“Such a staunch supporter of McCain owes it to your idol to explain all this to us backwards Jesus Freaks who know that McCain is a liberal.”

You really are demented.

And you embarrass yourself here with your comment, highhopes.

wise_man on July 31, 2008 at 3:14 PM

Gawd, McCain picking Liebs would be a DISASTER, all in caps. What a terrible idea! Just the thing to make us concerned reasonable Republicans jump up… in fright!

Allah said it best, “…feel reassured knowing Al Gore’s choice for VP is waiting in the wings?” Yikes!

linlithgow on July 31, 2008 at 3:32 PM

wise_man on July 31, 2008 at 3:14 PM

Whatever. There is nothing wrong with McCain being a moderate Democrat. He should just fess up to the fact that his views are far to the left of the party he supposedly belongs to. John McCain is the John Kerry of 2008 (or the GHWB of 1988) not the Ronald Reagan of 1980. Why do you find it so objectionable when people are honest in their assements of the candidates? Afraid of a rational assessment of the “conservative” candidate? I’d rather he be honest about his positions than continuing the sham of pretending to be a Reagan conservative. I’d rather he tell the social conservatives and evangelicals to f**k off than to keep up this pretense that he doesn’t loathe them for not giving him the nomination in 2000. Again, nothing wrong with McCain running as a moderate liberal if he were truthful about it.

I sort of expected that your rabid defense of McCain was all you had and you couldn’t defend your unquestioning support of the man. Your only line of reasoning is that we should support McCain because he isn’t Obama and, frankly, that you don’t like the other guy more is never a good reason to throw your support behind a particular candidate. You think I “embarrass myself” with my comments when you are the one who is screaming at people to stop calling McCain a liberal and then can’t produce one valid reason why that isn’t true. One solid reason to support McCain in November. Point to one thing about McCain that can serve as a rallying point for the base of the GOP (or what’s left of it after McCain has alienated so many lifelong Republicans with his actions). Supporting a candidate but being unable to give reasons FOR that support is really pretty pathetic. You’re the McCain cheerleader here, show us how McCain can unite the GOP behind his candidacy when he isn’t even on speaking terms with much of it! I really want you to spell out exactly how McCain can win in November on his own platform not simply as the anti-Obama choice.

I would respond to Newt’s comments this way. If I were certain that it would be only 20% of the time that I would be in opposition to a President McCain, there wouldn’t be any question about supporting him. The problem is that McCain has staked out positions and made comments that indicate that the split is more likely to be 70% oppose 30% agree than 20/80. Except for the war in Iraq, McCain is staking out positions very similar to Obama- as one would expect from a moderate Democrat like McCain or Kerry. As a Republican that isn’t good enough.

In closing, I would say that Lieberman would be a bad choice but McCain should give serious thought to bringing John Kerry onboard in much the same way that McCain nearly bolted the GOP in 2004 to be Kerry’s VP pick. Two moderate Democrats would have a very good chance of picking up all those Dem votes McCain is counting on to get past the fact he can’t unite his own party behind his nomination.

highhopes on July 31, 2008 at 4:01 PM

Isn’t Lieberman the main sponsor of the cap and trade agreement? If that’s the case (and yes, I will research), then he sure won’t get a thumbs up from me!
mimi1220 on July 31, 2008 at 1:47 PM

No, he is merely Co-sponsor.

McCain was the main sponsor and wrote (well, his staff wrote) most of the bill. Then when it was obviously going to be another anchor dragging down his campaign, he got his fellow RINO Warner to take over his part in.

LegendHasIt on July 31, 2008 at 4:03 PM

I’d certainly be happy if McCain chooses Eric Cantor for his running mate. Power Line spoke about the campaign for Cantor some time ago, and he could be a good man to have working with him.

Avi Green on July 31, 2008 at 4:09 PM

Lest someone accuse me of lying about Lieberman-Warner… Yeah; it is different: they changed the title and some of the words inside. But it is essentially the same one McCain-Lieberman started, for the same purpose: Destroying the US economy for the greater glory of Al Gore, the Pope of the Church of Global Warming.

LegendHasIt on July 31, 2008 at 4:24 PM

Why does McCain want to:

“destroy America for the greater glory of Al Gore, the Pope of the Church of Global Warming?™”

In your esteemed opinion.

wise_man on July 31, 2008 at 4:58 PM

McCain/Lieberman is the strongest (and perhaps the only) ticket to bring the swing voters who are liberally-minded but reasonably hawkish to vote Republican in any numbers chase away what few remaining conservatives were still willing to vote for McCain in a lesser of two evils scenario.

flicker on July 31, 2008 at 7:28 AM
Fixed it for you.

fossten on July 31, 2008 at 8:38 AM

Fossten, I agree with you to a point. But McCain IS going to be the nominee. What are we supposed to do? Vote for O’Bama? Does anyone really think staying home and giving it to O’Bama will do any good? Does anyone really think that an O’Bama Presidency would not be far worse than McCain?

Granted, O’Bama is a political cat who may pleasantly surprise the Right with his moderation. But is anyone willing to bet the country on that?

Certainly if O’Bama wins only because disaffected Conservatives refuse to vote, it’s the Conservatives’ fault.

flicker on July 31, 2008 at 5:12 PM

wise_man on July 31, 2008 at 4:58 PM

Normally I’d not reply to you, as smashing my face into a brick wall is more productive, but that is an honest question and deserves an honest answer and a clarification.

McCain doesn’t actually want to destroy the economy. But he IS a true believer in his old friend and frat brother, Al Gore’s Global Warming scam(I know, I know, it is now officially the Church of Anthropogenic Climate Change, but John hasn’t read that memo yet). And McCain is so absolutely clueless at understanding economics that he can’t grasp what an unmitigated disaster his ‘cap and trade’ scheme would be on the American economy. And so arrogant, so absolutely certain that he is right, that he will not listen to anyone trying to give him a dose of reality.

LegendHasIt on July 31, 2008 at 5:14 PM

flicker on July 31, 2008 at 5:12 PM

Why on earth would you even consider Obama would surprise the right, Obama is the most liberal senator as recorded in 2007.

wise_man on July 31, 2008 at 5:15 PM

Well, of course he won’t. That’s what makes McCain the lesser of two weevils, to be sure.

flicker on July 31, 2008 at 5:18 PM

LegendHasIt on July 31, 2008 at 5:14 PM

Look just because there are a few trolls on this place that are trying to make me out to be the anti-christ of all conservatives, there’s no need to claim that a reasonable comment to me will be meet with the same style of response that I reserve for trolls who lie about McCain and then claim that I reply to every negative comment about McCain. I only reply to these people who are actively involved on this site to foment anger and hostility about McCain for the purposes of getting Obama elected. One of them even admitted that he wants Obama elected on another page from today.

I would rather battle McCain for the 20% that we disagree, than to have to battle Obama the 90% that we disagree. Of course McCain is not all there when it comes to all the things that most of us want, Just – don’t lie about him. And it wasn’t too hard for you to say “McCain doesn’t actually want to destroy the economy” but these others would rather have their eyeballs poked with a sharp stick than to speak the truth about McCain as you just did.

See? Not really as bad as bashing you rface in a brick wall. I just dislike it when people disregard Reagan’s 11th commandment. And yes, McCain is a republican. NOt a democrat. Not a liberal.

wise_man on July 31, 2008 at 5:24 PM

OK, Thanks for not calling me a liberal troll from HuffpoKos.

You know, If I could say that as well, I could be a McCain supporter.

Unfortunately with me, and 33 years of experience with the guy, it is 20% AGREEMENT with McCain on the IMPORTANT issues.
(the ACU rating system puts equal weight on a vote for cutting a hundred dollars of pork out of a bill as it does for voting for a bill which is unconstitutional. — So; one can look like a hard-core conservative there, numerically, by voting on the conservative side on hundreds of minor things, while wiping your butt with the Constitution on the big things)

And as far as fighting Obama on 90% of the issues…. You can really find 10% that you agree with him on? I might be able to agree on 1% if I was feeling generous. That 9% difference is what separates the conservatives from the ‘middle-of-the-roaders’, I guess.

But in case you haven’t picked up on it yet, Despite agreeing with McCain 19% more than I do with Obama, I can base my non-support on believing three things:
1: I don’t think that Obama will be as effective passing his agenda even with his party having a big majority in Congress as McCain will, no matter who holds the majority. (I have expounded upon why I maintain this belief several times here at HotAir and would rather not have to go into the details again, but I will if necessary.)

2: I’d rather go ahead and ‘take the hit’ for 4 years as Obama destroys the ‘Democrat Brand’ than have McCain destroy the “Republican Brand”.

3: Supreme Court: The likely justices that Obama would be replacing are leftists anyway, so the balance wouldn’t change, and I seriously doubt that McCain would be willing OR able to appoint any REAL conservative justices, so I see that as an essentially moot point anyway.

LegendHasIt on July 31, 2008 at 6:15 PM

OK, Thanks for not calling me a liberal troll from HuffpoKos.
LegendHasIt on July 31, 2008 at 6:15 PM

Interesting isn’t it. That I don’t do this to everyone who disagrees with McCain.

Sure is strange, that this is what other people here constantly say about me.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

wise_man on July 31, 2008 at 6:23 PM

wise_man on July 31, 2008 at 5:24

Wiseman, I’m not the sharpest knife in the drawer but I disagree with McCain on more than 20%.

The way I see it, on the good side, McCain is proven to be pro-life and proven to be moderately anti-terrorism (good with using the military but bad with leaving the southern border open). As for Iraq, he called one thing right once. And, thirdly, he says he will appoint strict constructionist judges, though he does not talk this up and it seems to go against his anti-Constitutional predilections.

On the bad side, he’s made two hits on the USA; he took a bulldozer to the 1st amendment, setting a philosophical framework that justifies the ‘fairness doctrine’, and he favors a de facto elimination the southern border of the US. He may be pragmatic, but my sense is that he would blindly continue on the North American Union track (which is treasonous).

My only care in supporting McCain is that he will be slower in the slide towards socialism and totalitarianism than O’Bama. Then perhaps we can hope for a Thompson or Romney or any true conservative in 2012.

flicker on July 31, 2008 at 6:26 PM

“I don’t think that Obama will be as effective passing his agenda even with his party having a big majority in Congress “

Oh, of course not. I mean, why on earth would a democrat Obama have success with a democrat congress and senate, the same people that gave him a standing ovation let by speaker pelosi. Perish the thought that Obama would be effective with democrats. Why – who could think of such a thing.

“I’d rather go ahead and ‘take the hit’ for 4 years as Obama destroys the ‘Democrat Brand’ than have McCain destroy the “Republican Brand”.”

Be careful what you wish for, because you are going to get it.

And it’s impossible for McCain to destroy the republican brand.

And McCain isn’t going to appoint very conservative justices, you say. Well *In my best cajun voice* I GUARANTEEE YALL that Ohe Bah Mah will appoint these there most liberal judges with the liberals in the congress and senate – yeah ahh Huh huh huh … yessserieee!! Whooo Boy!!! Son, if you aint worroried about Obama’s picks when his best friends are Jerahiah (US OF KKK AND GOD DAMMNED AMERICA) Wright and the flag stomping, bomb making GUILTY AS SIN, FREE AS A BIRD 60′s radical that OBAMA launched his political career from his house …. wont pic some leftist doosies for the SCOTUS … well, heah heh heh ,,, you’ve been out in the lousiana sun too long, boy! …. Whoooooo!

*end cajun voice impersonation.*

wise_man on July 31, 2008 at 6:30 PM

Well, I seem to recall that when you first started posting here, you directly accused me of such, once or twice, before I added you to the 4 other people here on my “too willfully ignorant to argue with” list.
Perhaps I was mistaken.

LegendHasIt on July 31, 2008 at 6:37 PM

LegendHasIt,

Do you really think that O’Bama wouldn’t slavishly work to enact every lefty initiative that the democratic legislature would want to pass? Spending months and dollars on a vain attempt to indict Bush for war crimes? Waffling on Iraq and pulling out just enough troops to get the rest killed and the country thrown back into rebellion? Raising taxes by 15%? Establishing a knee-jerk socialized medicine bill? Nominating hardcore despots to the Supreme Court so that the balance won’t change until the conservatives are ready to reitre? Enacting every crackpot green legisaltion imaginable so that prospective homeowners have 10% or more costs tacked onto their building costs to cover the carbon footprint of building and the costs of green, energy-efficient fixtures and appliances?

If O’Bama accomplihshes only 10% of the legislation I expect he would favor, it will be a nightmare. My only optimism is that he might be so very opportunistic that he will sell his powers to the highest-bidding lobbyists and thereby to some degree maintain the status quo for a few years.

flicker on July 31, 2008 at 6:46 PM

Either I am a much poorer communicator than I believed, or you are being willfully …. I won’t say ignorant… Make it willfully obtuse.

Unfortunately, I have to go and take care of some responsibilities, So I can’t at the moment AGAIN explain the detailed basis for my beliefs, nor do a google search to find the earlier times I have done so.

LegendHasIt on July 31, 2008 at 6:47 PM

Oh, that last was not meant for you, flicker. But duty calls, and I can’t at the moment expound on your questions either. Sorry. Maybe later if anyone really wants to continue this discussion.

LegendHasIt on July 31, 2008 at 6:49 PM

With Joe he’ll appeal to a lot of folks.

dogsoldier on July 31, 2008 at 9:02 PM

highhopes is a new kind of Christian – a Christian who hates…

CliffHanger on August 1, 2008 at 10:04 AM

He is going to change the Party all right. As his daughter says in US Mag –

“I don’t relate to the hard right,” she admits. “I think it’s time to reinvent the Republican Party. And I think my dad can do it.”

He is going to rid the Party of The Far Right Fringe.

AprilOrit on August 1, 2008 at 10:29 AM