ABC: McCain “now seriously considering” Lieberman for VP

posted at 9:29 pm on July 30, 2008 by Allahpundit

He’s going to transform the party — by turning us into hawkish Democrats? Nuance.

There’s a bigger point — and this initial volley, they say, lays the groundwork for it. They will be sharpening McCain’s message that he, not Obama, is the true change agent, a man who’s repeatedly taken unpopular stands, made the hard calls and forged bipartisan alliances.

Part of the calculus now is how his VP choice will further sharpen that message. There is significant support among top McCain advisers that he make a “transformative” pick who would change the Republican Party — someone who would appeal to moderate Republicans and Democrats…

A person who fills that bill, these advisers say, is Joe Lieberman.

Lieberman, an Independent Democrat, flatly denied his interest to ABC’s Ron Claiborne earlier this month, but McCain is now seriously considering him as that “transformative” pick, sources tell ABC News…

What’s more, some McCain advisers believe Lieberman would dramatically enhance the point they are now trying to make about Obama in this “celebrity” ad campaign.

McCain and Lieberman are anti-celebrities, the argument goes. They have, as one top adviser said, felt the heat after taking unpopular positions because they were willing to do “what’s right for the country” — whatever it meant for their own popularity.

Good news for that unpredictable five percent in the middle he needs to win, not so good for, er, everyone else in America. Are evangelicals going to vote for a guy who scored 100% on NARAL’s annual report card? Are Reagan conservatives jittery about McCain’s maverickiness going to feel reassured knowing Al Gore’s choice for VP is waiting in the wings? Is the left going to reach hitherto unscaled heights of apoplexy at the thought of the one pol they hate more than George Bush somehow ending up on the Republican ticket? (No, no, and yes, respectively, if you’re scoring at home.) Think of it in practical terms. Assume the worst happens and through some misfortune Vice President Lieberman becomes President Lieberman. Either the Democrats’ animus towards him results in hopeless gridlock in Congress or the breach is healed and we’ve got a lefty executive working with a lefty legislature towards common goals — Iraq excepted, of course. I like Liebs; I don’t like the idea. But the signs are there if you’re willing to look…

Exit question: Maybe the left, true to its proud tradition of honoring dissent, will forgive Joementum his apostasy? Hmmm.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

It’s “Speculation-mania” this week!

A person who fills that bill, these advisers say, is Joe Lieberman.

The only person I’m going to listen to is….McCain. Again, I fail to see the huge importance of a veep pick. Yeah, I know McCain is old. But he’s healthy.

Still sayin’….it’s gonna be Crist.

JetBoy on July 30, 2008 at 9:33 PM

I hope this is just another VP rumor leaked to get some headlines and to psych out Obama on who the McCain VP might be.

Wethal on July 30, 2008 at 9:34 PM

This is why I can’t stand the media on this.

Just wake me up when an announcement is made.

And that goes for both sides of the aisle.

asc85 on July 30, 2008 at 9:36 PM

The ticket is a winner. I dont like Lieberman on domestic issues, but it’ll win.

lorien1973 on July 30, 2008 at 9:36 PM

I don’t know. I prefer Lieberman to Pawlenty or Romney.

terryannonline on July 30, 2008 at 9:36 PM

We don’t believe your “leaks” anymore, J-Mac. No more trial balloons or headline grabbers or whatever you think these are. You’re going to finally announce your VP at some point, and no one will show up and no one will realize you actually did it because you’re the candidate who cried wolf.

aero on July 30, 2008 at 9:37 PM

Still sayin’….it’s gonna be Crist.

I think he’s likely on the shortlist. I’m betting on Crist or Pawlenty at this point.

Slublog on July 30, 2008 at 9:37 PM

This is exactly why I haven’t donated yet.

Micheal on July 30, 2008 at 9:37 PM

Go for it, but he shouldn’t pick Joe before Obama picks his VP. If he is going for Palin, he should pick before Obama.

ninjapirate on July 30, 2008 at 9:39 PM

At least Liebs is a Boring White Guy who’s different.
But,
McCain/Palin ’08!

jgapinoy on July 30, 2008 at 9:41 PM

I suspect this is one or two of McCain’s many advisers (on VP recruiting and vetting) throwing out their own little trial balloon. That’s probably what all these rumors are–siblings fighting in the back seat. I don’t think it’s coming from McCain himself. The staff are throwing it out and testing immediate reactions.

RBMN on July 30, 2008 at 9:41 PM

Sources say it’s Romney! No, now sources say it’s Pawlenty! No, now sources say it’s one or the other! No, now sources say it’s Lieberman! No, now sources say….

amerpundit on July 30, 2008 at 9:41 PM

I think Lieberman has integrity and all that. But, I just have my doubts about this. Why is this anymore credible than the Romney, Pawlenty, Palin, Jindal claims?

How do we know that this is not just BS?

Terrye on July 30, 2008 at 9:41 PM

Nah.

profitsbeard on July 30, 2008 at 9:42 PM

aero:

How do you know it is McCain’s leak? It might be the Democrats or ABC..who knows at this point?

Terrye on July 30, 2008 at 9:42 PM

It’ll never happen.

McCain will announce his VP tommorow in DC. It will be Rice or Ridge.

Seriously though , I doubt McCain would reach that far.

He still has time for the right choice. The polls are a toss up at this point so McCain does not need the long ball.

AnthonyK on July 30, 2008 at 9:42 PM

Time to invest in a blow-up cat.

Vizzini on July 30, 2008 at 9:43 PM

I saved this photo a few years back. It still makes me ill. I respect Lieberman, but he shouldn’t be McCain’s VP. I don’t know why McCain would even think of it.

Attila (Pillage Idiot) on July 30, 2008 at 9:44 PM

Don’t get me wrong, I like Lieberman. But I think it would be a mistake to put him on the ticket. And I think they both know it too. Not as big a mistake as putting Huck on the ticket (and thus rewarding his tactics), but a mistake.

Maybe he’s warming us all up for Guiliani

Sekhmet on July 30, 2008 at 9:46 PM

Would Lieberman be the first guy to run as Veep under two different candidates?

If Johnny Mac does pick him, watch the Kos Kids go nuts.

Del Dolemonte on July 30, 2008 at 9:46 PM

Could be worse. He could pick Pelosi.

TheBigOldDog on July 30, 2008 at 9:46 PM

Oh my God….If McCain picked Lieberman the lefties would be beside themselves and their heads would explode.
It would certainly shake things up and McCain would might be more appealing to the undecideds which is where the race will be won.

Lieberman wouldn’t be a bad pick really.
It would lock up Florida and I think New York and that would be all she wrote.

NeoKong on July 30, 2008 at 9:47 PM

Slublog on July 30, 2008 at 9:37 PM

Whew! Good to see someone almost agree with me after all these weeks and weeks of saying Crist will be the pick. I think Pawlenty has a spot in a McCain administration, but I don’t see him as a viable veep choice. Crist handed Florida to McCain with his election eve endorsement. I believe that night, McCain had Crist written in stone for the veep slot if he won.

JetBoy on July 30, 2008 at 9:47 PM

I don’t know. I prefer Lieberman to Pawlenty or Romney.

terryannonline on July 30, 2008 at 9:36 PM

In terms of picking a winning ticket or in terms of picking a ticket that conservatives can feel ideologically content with? Sure, a McCain/Liebs ticket would probably win, but would you feel good about dealing with two lefties running the show for four years? Or the horrible worst case scenario (okay, second worst, with President Obama being the worst) AP mentioned where we get President Lieberman? Sure, if I was the McCain campaign and all I cared about was winning the election, then, yeah, Liebs is probably the best pick. But as a conservative, I can’t say I like the idea of Joe Lieberman being on the Republican ticket.

malan89 on July 30, 2008 at 9:47 PM

If McCain really wants to upset Obama’s apple cart, he’d pick Michael Steele.

coldwarrior on July 30, 2008 at 9:48 PM

time to go 3rd party and say screw it yet?

talk about ruining the gop

jp on July 30, 2008 at 9:48 PM

I wouldn’t mind it (being that I fall somewhere in the center), yet it’s not going to happen. In the unlikely event that Hagel is picked as Obama’s VP, McCain will pick Lieberman. Otherwise, he will only be a speaker at the convention.

Like I’ve been saying before, I believe most of this VP stuff going around is just gossip. The media has nothing to talk about until the conventions, so why not VP talk? I wouldn’t get too worried about it.

DanStark on July 30, 2008 at 9:49 PM

I like how it rolls of my tongue,
Liebermans Revenge,for being tossed
under da bus by Pelosi’s posse!

canopfor on July 30, 2008 at 9:49 PM

all these leaks so far, Pawlenty, huckabee, Romney….now Lieberman…

maybe its a head fake and we get Palin.

nah, mccain hates conservatives

jp on July 30, 2008 at 9:50 PM

I remember Lieberman on Glenn Beck’s program after he left the Democrats saying that he finally felt like he could say what he really believed. An honest politician? That’s wonderful for either party. The VP doesn’t have great power, so the fact that Lieberman’s politics are often quite liberal wouldn’t be a great worry either. He’d be a fine choice.

kc8ukw on July 30, 2008 at 9:51 PM

At this point, after a new story every day showing how arrogant and lacking knowledge Obama is, I’d vote for McCain even if he made Hillary his VP pick.

MamaAJ on July 30, 2008 at 9:51 PM

MamaAJ on July 30, 2008 at 9:51 PM

McCain Hillary would be funny. I said this months ago. Afterwards, you’d hear millions of heads pop all over the country.

lorien1973 on July 30, 2008 at 9:53 PM

I’m gonna enjoy watching the McCainiacs and GOP cheerleaders squirm and try and explain the VP choice away if McCain really is dumb enough to pick Lieberman.

doubleplusundead on July 30, 2008 at 9:53 PM

doubleplusundead on July 30, 2008 at 9:53 PM

Who you kiddin’? You’re enjoying us McCaniacs now!

:-P

JetBoy on July 30, 2008 at 9:54 PM

Is there a word, analogous to “triangulation,” but in more planes/directions?

If McCain is behind this wave of speculation, he’s a better showman than I thought.

ParisParamus on July 30, 2008 at 9:55 PM

This is really scary. I’ve known about this idiotic desire of Mac to put his good friend Lieberman on the ticket for months now, but I was hoping he was smart enough not to do something so utterly foolhardy.

Lieberman is a fine man, but he is a tax and spend liberal and would be an absolute disaster for the economy.

If Lieberman is on the ticket, why should I bother to vote for McCain? And how arrogant is McCain that he thinks it’s his job to “transform” the Republican Party anyway? It’s not as if he has this huge plurality of the country or even the party cheering for him.

Buy Danish on July 30, 2008 at 9:55 PM

He IS SO conservative! He is, he IS, HE IS!!!

Maybe his short list is his co-sponsor list: Lieberman, Kennedy, Feingold.

misterpeasea on July 30, 2008 at 9:57 PM

Fantastic! So of the 4 people on the major party tickets, 3 will be democrats and one a liberal RINO. Maybe I can use Alec Baldwin’s unused ticket to France.

Texas Rainmaker on July 30, 2008 at 9:57 PM

I can’t say I like the idea of Joe Lieberman being on the Republican ticket.

I like Lieberman on the ticket because he is a Dem. I think in the past twenty years we’ve had enough of the parties attacking each other. Republicans went viciously after Clinton. Democrats have gone viciously after Bush. I’m getting kind of tired of it. I think a ticket with a Republican and a Democrat might be able to soothe some of those divisions. Yeah, I don’t agree with Joe on everything but I know he puts his convictions first.

terryannonline on July 30, 2008 at 9:57 PM

Publicity through Disinformation.

ParisParamus on July 30, 2008 at 9:57 PM

amerpundit on July 30, 2008 at 9:41 PM

Sources in the McCain campaign have revealed to BS News Network that Hot Air commenter “amerpundit” is being vetted by the Senator’s VP search team. A high level McCain staffer who spoke with BSNN only if he remained anonymous said the commenter was invited to the Senator’s Arizona ranch to share ribs. Other veepstakes contenders attending the cookout include Valley View Condos Homeowner’s Association President Nora Liebowitz, Lackawanna County Commissioner Bob Yeary, and John Linton, a Wal-Mart greeter. BSNN will have full coverage of the cookout (in between our 24/7 coverage of “Obamamania: The Messiah Graces Germany with His Presence).

malan89 on July 30, 2008 at 9:58 PM

Janice Rogers Brown!

SouthernGent on July 30, 2008 at 9:58 PM

My faves:
1. Jindal
2. Lieberman
3. Steele

Buy Danish, don’t vote then. If you’re going to be so whiny about it, just put the rubber on the road and skip the election doohickey. But if you choose not to vote, you shouldn’t bother having an opinion about the future administration.

mjk on July 30, 2008 at 9:59 PM

ParisParamus on July 30, 2008 at 9:55 PM

He’s just helping his buddy out. McCain knows right now the Dims are kissing Lieb’s ass trying to convince him not to be his running mate. By the end of the night Liebs will have all his old Dems perks back and they’ll have a good laugh together over the phone tomorrow.

TheBigOldDog on July 30, 2008 at 9:59 PM

If McCain really wants to upset Obama’s apple cart, he’d pick Michael Steele.

coldwarrior on July 30, 2008 at 9:48 PM

Bingo.

Certainly would take the air out of the Surprisingly Racial Post-Racial Wonder’s whole “It’s cause I’m black!” hole card.

Also puts a man of integrity and an actual conservative on the ticket, which makes it even more appealing.

SuperCool on July 30, 2008 at 10:00 PM

From the moment McCain won the nom. my father and I thought he would shoot for Lieberman. It was just a guess at the time, and it probably won’t happen; but if it were to happen it would be the least surprising choice he could make.

Weight of Glory on July 30, 2008 at 10:00 PM

We have to remember that the VP breaks ties in the Senate. Do we really want Joe Lieberm….oh, never mind! The Democrats are going to get a filibuster-proof majority in the Senate anyway!

malan89 on July 30, 2008 at 10:00 PM

Could be worse. He could pick Pelosi.

TheBigOldDog on July 30, 2008 at 9:46 PM

There have been days…

Weight of Glory on July 30, 2008 at 10:01 PM

God I hope he doesn’t do this. He needs to pick a stronger conservative that isn’t an old white guy like him to balance out the ticket.

wise_man on July 30, 2008 at 10:01 PM

I don’t know which is more depressing:

The fact that Mac wants Lieberman on the ticket, or the fact that so many of you are keen on the idea.

Buy Danish on July 30, 2008 at 10:01 PM

I’d say the latter.

malan89 on July 30, 2008 at 10:02 PM

I am not believing anything until I hear an honest to God announcement. I am not sure Lieberman even wants to do that whole VP thing again, it did not work out all that well. But I guess this makes as much sense as Obama putting Hagel on his ticket.

Terrye on July 30, 2008 at 10:02 PM

Maybe I can use Alec Baldwin’s unused ticket to France.

Yeh, I could always ask my husband to volunteer for an overseas assignment for the next few years…

I just love the mental images that come with Hillary as VP. The nutroots will quickly think she makes Rove look harmless by comparison.

MamaAJ on July 30, 2008 at 10:03 PM

Let’s not forget that Lieberman is a flaming liberal except on security issues. I don’t see it happening.

Who are all these “sources” who tell the media that it’s Mitt/Pawlenty/Lieberman? Low-level staffers talking out their butts, or high level operatives looking for press?

Hollowpoint on July 30, 2008 at 10:03 PM

If McCain really wants to upset Obama’s apple cart, he’d pick Michael Steele.
coldwarrior on July 30, 2008 at 9:48 PM

Bingo.
SuperCool on July 30, 2008 at 10:00 PM

Would be a very good choice, I think.

wise_man on July 30, 2008 at 10:03 PM

Hey MB4, you still putting up Goldwater? If McCain picks JoeJoe, you can count me in.

Weight of Glory on July 30, 2008 at 10:04 PM

If he’s gonna do lieberman, may as well do Hillary though. And that’d be so awesome, it’d unbelievable. I’d hate the ticket, personally. But come on. For theatre, what could beat that?

lorien1973 on July 30, 2008 at 10:05 PM

lorien1973 on July 30, 2008 at 10:05 PM

I’d love to watch Hillary just switch her positions to match McCain’s (they’re actually not that far from each other on a lot of domestic issues). And you know she’d do it in a heartbeat if offered the slot.

malan89 on July 30, 2008 at 10:07 PM

How do we know there are sources? You know when they say unnamed I always have the feeling they mean invented.

Terrye on July 30, 2008 at 10:07 PM

Lieberman? Ain’t gonna happen

bnelson44 on July 30, 2008 at 10:08 PM

lorien1973 on July 30, 2008 at 10:05 PM

Imagine for a second what would happen. It would be the food fight scene from Animal House 30 seconds after the announcement

TheBigOldDog on July 30, 2008 at 10:09 PM

Terrye on July 30, 2008 at 9:42 PM

Because he’s not getting out in front of it and saying, “If it didn’t come from my mouth, you can’t put any stock in it. We’re still vetting candidates, and I promise I will tell you who I’ve chosen when I’m ready.” He seems instead to be enjoying the speculation that’s going on, as if he’s desperate enough to take any kind of campaign coverage he can get, even if it’s just wild scurrilous rumors about his VP pick.

So, even if McCain himself is not behind these “leaks” (though he was the source of the Pawlenty hubbub by saying people are “really going to like” him), he’s clearly allowing these leaks, rumors, and unfounded speculations to go unchallenged. It’s ticking me off.

We’ve had almost 8 years of a president who lets the media run wild with untrue stories, wild accusations, unfounded assumptions, and more. He lets them set the public debate and almost never challenges them or corrects the record, and I find it to be infuriating. I hope this VP stuff is not a sign that McCain is the same way.

aero on July 30, 2008 at 10:09 PM

Michael Steele is a strong Conservative and certainly isn’t some old white guy, either.

He’d also be in a position to make true one of Nixon’s musings, way back in the day, before that Watergate thingie, that the first Black President of the United States would have to be a Republican. Makes good sense. Steele has the credentials for a VP nod, and can spend four years gearing up for the 2012 big one. Being elected as a Conservative would end once and for all the Dem pandering, tokenism and outright subjugation of Black America for the past 50 years.

As McCain’s VP on the ballot, Steele would draw a lot of voters, white and black, Republicans, Independents, and a lot of Dems, and a lot of voters who would otherwise probably stay at home in November. The guy is good…great character, great personality, solid Conservative…even carried Prince George’s County, one of the most solid Democrat bastions on the East Coast, so that says something.

coldwarrior on July 30, 2008 at 10:10 PM

I’d go with a little bit of both. I think early on it was low level people making crap up, but the high level people realized it generated buzz and decided to roll with it. It seems like they release a new name every few days (that’s what I was getting at here). Pretty soon the press is gonna start treating it like the boy who cried wolf. “The Campaign that Cried Veep”

malan89 on July 30, 2008 at 10:10 PM

JetBoy on July 30, 2008 at 9:54 PM

True.

terryannonline on July 30, 2008 at 9:57 PM

I doubt it’d ease the divisions, it’d probably make them worse. Neither base is going to compromise, and the longer they go on not getting what precisely what they want, they’re going to become ever more rigid in their orthodoxy. Look at the Nutroots, look at the heightened and growing demand for orthodoxy in the conservative movement, you’re dreaming if you think that’s going to disappear under a unity ticket.

There is a distinct philosophical difference and rift developing and growing between the left and right. I think the only possible way that can be ever be eased is through significant decentralization of power in the US and an agreement on both sides to adhere to that decentralization.

doubleplusundead on July 30, 2008 at 10:10 PM

malan89 on July 30, 2008 at 10:07 PM

Come on. McCain is like 60% conservative. Hillary’s like 5% or something. There are major differences.

lorien1973 on July 30, 2008 at 10:10 PM

What’s next? Obama/Kucinich?

Steve McCullough on July 30, 2008 at 10:12 PM

Hasn’t McCain been reported to be considering just about everybody but me by now?

MB4 on July 30, 2008 at 10:13 PM

mjk on July 30, 2008 at 9:59 PM

Do you mind if I call you a jackass?

Buy Danish on July 30, 2008 at 10:14 PM

aero:

Oh come on. Bush and McCain can not control the press. They aren’t supposed to as far as that is concerned. The closest thing I have seen to control of the press has come from the Democrats and I don’t really care for it, in fact it gives me a bad feeling.

I am just saying that the press likes to make stuff up. They do it all the time. And they will go on flapping their gums until someone actually is named by the nominee himself.

Terrye on July 30, 2008 at 10:15 PM

lorien1973 on July 30, 2008 at 10:10 PM

I’m not saying they’re aren’t. There are huge differences on 85-90% of the issues. But on things like immigration, taxes, and dealing with TEH MANBEARPIG!!111!!!!, they aren’t that far apart. My comment was more about Hillary’s willingness to change any position and abandon any principle for political gain.

malan89 on July 30, 2008 at 10:15 PM

I’d take McCain/Ronald McDonald about now.

MamaAJ on July 30, 2008 at 10:16 PM

Because he’s not getting out in front of it

aero on July 30, 2008 at 10:09 PM

Come on, he’s been in bed for hours!

TheBigOldDog on July 30, 2008 at 10:16 PM

McCain is 82% conservative, Obama is 9%. I think Hillary is in the teens somewhere. of course these measures are all subjective.

Terrye on July 30, 2008 at 10:18 PM

McCain/Liebermanpalinromneypawlentyridgecristhuckabeegulianithompsontancredohunterhutchinsongrahamlynnecheny ’08

Limerick on July 30, 2008 at 10:19 PM

I don’t know which is more depressing:

Buy Danish on July 30, 2008 at 10:01 PM

I’d say the latter.

malan89 on July 30, 2008 at 10:02 PM

maxine on July 30, 2008 at 10:20 PM

How is he supposed to get out in front of it? Every freaking day some breathless reporter comes up with a new name. Huckabee, Pawlenty, Ridge, Romney, Palin, Jindal..hell I even heard someone mention Colin Powell. It would be a never ending job to get out in front these yammering idiots.

In the end it will probably be someone like Romney and it all seem so anti climatic.

Terrye on July 30, 2008 at 10:20 PM

A match made in Heaven…

Er.. maybe some place else.

The but they ARE a perfect match. The (expelled)Democrat who is sane on defense and the Middle East in general, along with the slightly hawkish dolt who SHOULD have been expelled from the Republican party.

Not many differences between them on DEEPLY held principles; most of the differences are based on getting the people in their home states to vote for them.

The only real difference is that I always kind of liked Lieberman DESPITE his non-defense related liberalism, while I NEVER liked McCain at all.

LegendHasIt on July 30, 2008 at 10:20 PM

Oh come on. Bush and McCain can not control the press.

Terrye on July 30, 2008 at 10:15 PM

There’s a difference between controlling the press and controlling your own message. Controlling the press would be unconstitutional. Controlling your message is getting in front of cameras and firmly setting the record straight and making your case to the American people. Bush lets the media run completely wild, rarely defending his positions even when it would be relatively easy to refute their negative assumptions. That’s my problem with Bush, and I’m simply saying I hope McCain is not similarly passive about letting the press craft his message and set his agenda for him. This series of veep speculation stories feels very Bush-like to me, and I don’t like it.

aero on July 30, 2008 at 10:21 PM

Alert: McCain/ Carter unity ticket

faraway on July 30, 2008 at 10:21 PM

Weight of Glory on July 30, 2008 at 10:04 PM

To balance his ticket Obama needs to pick an old white general and to balance his ticket McCain needs to pick someone younger than himself, so they should both pick Dwight Eisenhower.
- somebody or other

MB4 on July 30, 2008 at 10:22 PM

McCain needs to pick someone younger than himself

MB4 on July 30, 2008 at 10:22 PM

That leaves everyone in America

faraway on July 30, 2008 at 10:24 PM

“To balance his ticket Obama needs to pick an old white general …”

MB4…I’d certainly like to see Obama follow that advice, and pick Wesley Clark. It would end Obama’s chances at getting elected almost immediately, which isn’t such a bad thing, really.

coldwarrior on July 30, 2008 at 10:25 PM

Don’t get me wrong, I think Leib is OK on the WOT, but he does caucus with the Dems…

McCain does this he is throwing his base under the bus… basicly telling Conservatives once more, in no uncertain terms, that he either does not care about them, or thinks he can win and govern without them.

Romeo13 on July 30, 2008 at 10:25 PM

How is he supposed to get out in front of it?
Terrye on July 30, 2008 at 10:20 PM

People shove cameras and microphones in his face every day. Take one or more of those opportunities to say, “By the way, I haven’t picked my running mate yet, sand the rumors you’ve heard are not coming from me or any of my people.” Better yet, call a press conference and tell the truth, such as, “We have it down to two possible candidates. I expect to be announcing my choice just before the convention. I will call another press conference at that time, and I assure you it will be real.” Assertive, honest, in control. Voila.

aero on July 30, 2008 at 10:26 PM

aero:

I have heard Bush defend himself on several occasions, but he can not compete with the constant onslaught from a liberal media. Just trying to get a word in edgewise with these guys is impossible. For instance, when he tried to point out that the war in Iraq was not a lost cause they called him a liar, or said he was in denial and made a point of running a never ending litany of bad news stories. Bush’s announcements to the contrary were just passed off as propaganda.

And right now, what message is McCain is supposed to be controlling here? This is speculation on the part of the press as to who the VP will be. There is also speculation about who Obama will choose. The only thing that will end that speculation is an announcement. Not message control.

Terrye on July 30, 2008 at 10:26 PM

aero:

Do you honestly think that if McCain called some press conference and said Don’t look at me or words to that effect that the chatter would stop? yeah right, they would say his mouth says no, but his eyes say yes and go right on yammering.

Tell it to Princess Di, the press lives by its own rules, it does not care about anything else.

Terrye on July 30, 2008 at 10:30 PM

Dan Henninger has a column tomorrow in the WSJ: “Is McCain Stupid?”
Of course he is! He’s dumb as shit on toast.

However, his staff isn’t.
If he goes for a Lib like Lieberman, they’ll probably just throw him out of a tall window and it’ll be an open convention.
Whoopy!

TexasJew on July 30, 2008 at 10:31 PM

Joe Lieberman on the issues, like on Energy & Oil.

Buy Danish on July 30, 2008 at 10:35 PM

coldwarrior on July 30, 2008 at 10:25 PM

I would say that his picking Keane, Sebelius or even Daschle or even Hillary would be more likely.

MB4 on July 30, 2008 at 10:35 PM

Keane or Sebelius, perhaps…but if his mantra is “change” Daschle or Hillary would pretty much suck the life out of that meme.

coldwarrior on July 30, 2008 at 10:36 PM

I am not getting tired of this rumor mill because I keep reading and learning about each candidate. My assumption is that McCain’s campaign is trying to divert attention to candidates that we may be so sure he choose (i.e. Romney, Pawlenty, Lieberman, Crist), but instead chooses someone that is so unexpectant (PALIN) and creates headlines to the like that even the MSM can not ignore.
Maybe that is wishful thinking on my part. But McCain’s camp probably already know that the majority of us conservatives want PALIN and would support his candidacy with much enthusiasm. Plus, she is a transformative candidate.

jencab on July 30, 2008 at 10:37 PM

Sarah Palin

( enough said )

I respect Lieberman, but he gets you two white-haired White guys and neither one has a strong base or a partisan affiliation that attracts ‘likely voters’

You go outside your party for Sec of the Treasury, not for VP

Janos Hunyadi on July 30, 2008 at 10:39 PM

Terrye on July 30, 2008 at 10:26 PM

I agree that he can’t stop them from speculating. They’re going to do it. The problem is this assertion by reporters that their stories are coming from “sources” within McCain’s own camp. By not challenging these rumors, he seems to be admitting that the rumors are coming from his camp, in which case the message seems to be that his people are messing with us and he’s letting them. He can and should set that record straight. The press will go right on speculating, but McCain can certainly make firm and frequent statements that their so-called “sources” are bogus (if they are), and the only reliable source to go to about his VP choice is John McCain himself.

This whole sequence smacks of an undisciplined, wandering campaign to me. McCain needs to make it clear that he has a plan, and he will communicate it to the rest of us in the time and place of his choosing. That applies to his VP choice, his plan for the economy, his plan for our military operations, anything. He is NOT coming across as a man with a plan, who is in control of his campaign, his message, and his day-to-day or longterm actions. While Obama was overseas, McCain gave the appearance of wandering aimlessly around the country with no plan and no tight message to convey. Granted, it would have been difficult to convey much of anything in the Obamacentric environment the media created that week, but it was McCain’s perfect opportunity to press his domestic energy agenda hard, in contrast to Obama’s flirtations with Europeans and presidential posing. McCain totally missed that opportunity, and it wasn’t entirely the media’s fault.

aero on July 30, 2008 at 10:40 PM

Food for thought:
You know, if we had an articulate, attractive candidate that was worth a crap, we wouldn’t even be having this discussion.

Obama would be behind by 15 points.
For starters.

TexasJew on July 30, 2008 at 10:40 PM

what states does he bring? I’m not buying it.

Alden Pyle on July 30, 2008 at 10:41 PM

I think it is just about keeping people interested. Keeping them talking.

I am not sure about Palin. I like her, but she has little experience and while the online people like her, I don’t think most Americans know who she is. Maybe she needs more time in her own state to build her name recognition.

On the Dem side, Bayh would be a good pick for Obama, but he probably won’t go for it. The former Governor of Indiana and US Senator has more experience than Obama and would show him for the empty suit that he is. He might want to pick someone who won’t look better than him.

Terrye on July 30, 2008 at 10:43 PM

Terrye on July 30, 2008 at 10:07 PM

QFE

i doubt mccain will pick a vp candidate that will do much to change my opinion of him. after all, the vp is a waste of a good office in the west wing. but these rumors are almost always baseless. they take a shotgun approach and then claim how in the know they are if one of the hundred guys they “predicted” gets picked.

chasdal on July 30, 2008 at 10:43 PM

what states does he bring?

Alden Pyle on July 30, 2008 at 10:41 PM

The states of freezing in the winter and pushing your car to work. That is, if you still have a job..

TexasJew on July 30, 2008 at 10:44 PM