Obama Veep speculation: Kaine?

posted at 6:35 pm on July 28, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

Since we ran with the speculation du jour for the Republican running-mate choice, why not round it out with the hottest rumor on the Democratic side, too?  And like the Republicans, hot doesn’t necessarily connote surprise.  Tim Kaine has garnered today’s big buzz, but it’s not like he’s been overlooked in the past.  The Washington Post and Politico both restart the Kaine Scrutiny:

Virginia governor Tim Kaine has told close associates that he has had “very serious” conversations with Sen. Barack Obama about joining the Democratic ticket and has provided documents to the campaign as it combs through his background, according to several sources close to Kaine. …

But several people who have spoken to Kaine directly said he has talked about the seriousness of the possibility. All requested anonymity, citing the campaign’s desire to keep the process secret. One said Kaine has stressed that there are other top candidates but described his discussions with Obama’s campaign as “very serious.”

Two other associates said Kaine’s staff is heavily engaged in providing the background research necessary to allow Obama’s campaign to search for potential political land mines. One source said Kaine chief counsel Larry Roberts is coordinating with Obama’s team. Roberts cold not be reached for comment. Kaine will be in Washington today for his monthly interview on WTOP.

Since campaigning together during Kaine’s 2005 gubernatorial race, he and Obama have become friends. Kaine, who like Obama has Kansas roots, has returned the favor, campaigning across the country for Obama during the primaries. In recent weeks, Kaine and his staff have been in frequent contact with Obama and the presidential campaign about strategy and operations in Virginia and elsewhere. Kaine has said he plans to attend the Democratic convention in Denver with his wife and children.

Kaine fits a couple of criteria for Obama.  First, he’s an outsider, and Obama says he wants someone who can credibly join in his mission of changing the way Washington operates.  That almost explicitly rules out Hillary Clinton, Chris Dodd, and Joe Biden, and probably even Evan Bayh to some extent.  Second, it puts someone with executive experience on the ticket.  Maybe most importantly, it puts Virginia into play for the Democrats, who need to turn a significant red state blue — and Virginia is probably the most likely to switch.

On the other hand, Kaine has some serious drawbacks.  Other than being Governor for three years, Kaine doesn’t have much on the resumé.  He has no foreign-policy experience, and no military experience, either.  And as the Post mentions in its profile, Kaine hasn’t exactly set the world on fire in Virginia.  Three years without any significant accomplishments will not generate excitement for this running mate, and then there’s the inconvenient matter of the budget deficit that has appeared in Virginia on Kaine’s watch.

Democrats thought enough of Kaine to have him deliver the Democratic response to the State of the Union speech in 2006, and he didn’t do too badly, but he didn’t shine either, thanks in part to the lackluster material.   They haven’t had him do much nationally since then.  One has to wonder whether Kaine has the substance it would take to bolster Obama — or whether his lack of substance might not appeal to those on Team Obama who worry about getting overshadowed by the running mate.

Comments

Obama actually needs a boring white guy.

DaveS on July 28, 2008 at 6:39 PM

Ummmm…Jimmy Hoffa is Arisen???

BigWyo on July 28, 2008 at 6:40 PM

That is one creepy picture of Kaine. I live in Virginia, and I can’t think of anything the man has done. Obama can do better.

Anna on July 28, 2008 at 6:40 PM

Kaine? I guess I’m too left-coast to know a thing about him. No doubt the Great Narcissist Showbama will not deign to name a veep who might compete for the spotlight. An unknown first-term govnuh sounds about right.

innominatus on July 28, 2008 at 6:42 PM

Cain and Hussein..

Chakra Hammer on July 28, 2008 at 6:43 PM

Obama/Kaine sounds like something you’d use for sunburn.

Cicero43 on July 28, 2008 at 6:44 PM

Cicero43′s comments tend to improve my mood.

innominatus on July 28, 2008 at 6:46 PM

Nice hair, Kaine. Geeze, he’s got Dilbert’s boss’ hair.

It's Vintage, Duh on July 28, 2008 at 6:48 PM

Kodas and Kane,a la Simpson’s

or

The Caine Mutiny!haha.

canopfor on July 28, 2008 at 6:49 PM

Obama/Kaine sounds like something you’d use for sunburn.

Cicero43 on July 28, 2008 at 6:44 PM

ObamaKaine, now with 20% more aloe vera.

BrianBoru on July 28, 2008 at 6:50 PM

Kaine was only elected in 2005 for 2 reasons:

1) Mark Warner was a popular governor, and since Virginia doesn’t allow consecutive terms, Virginians voted in Kaine on Warner’s coat-tails.

2) The GOP nominee in 2005 was seen as a moderate, and never got the conservative base behind him.

It's Vintage, Duh on July 28, 2008 at 6:51 PM

Awesome! A fat, bald, white/pink guy with little executive experience and no military experience in a state littered with military brass.

Guess Virginia won’t be so easy to flip after all.

Jaibones on July 28, 2008 at 6:51 PM

Obama is playing it safe it would seem. And McCain also. Its “Im the most important person on the ticket I dont need a rival”

William Amos on July 28, 2008 at 6:52 PM

Seriously? Kaine? Wow, Obama really doesn’t want anyone to come close to obscuring the eminence shining from him.

I mean, I live in Virginia, too, and I can’t think of anything Kaine has done, either.

Meryl Yourish on July 28, 2008 at 6:54 PM

Cicero43.. Actually ObamaKaine is usually snorted up the nose.

alycan1 on July 28, 2008 at 7:00 PM

Wait a tick,are we sure this Kaine guy was actualy
talking to Obama,or was he infatuated with the idea,
and has caught the journalist fever of I think Obama
really likes me!

Kaine is aware of Obama’s serial flippinzee/der/Flopponzee,
as well as Obama’s nasty habit of throwing his fellow Libs,
who at first, were helpful, then useless, to Barack’s campaign!

canopfor on July 28, 2008 at 7:01 PM

I think it’s great! It will confuse a lot of people with a ballot that says “Obama Kaine” The idiot libtards who have to read phonetically will read it as ” Oba McCain” versus “McCain” and not know what the hell to do.
Hilarity will ensue.

redshirt on July 28, 2008 at 7:02 PM

Isn’t he the guy with the crazy eyebrow antics?

RushBaby on July 28, 2008 at 7:02 PM

Call me crazy,but why has Obama
overlooked Harold Ford Jr!

canopfor on July 28, 2008 at 7:05 PM

RushBaby on July 28, 2008 at 7:02 PM

Yes, and dull in every way, too.

It's Vintage, Duh on July 28, 2008 at 7:07 PM

Talk about boring white guys…………geez, I’ve seen better heads of lettuce.

omnipotent on July 28, 2008 at 7:09 PM

Let’s see. Obama needs to attract those working class whites who cling bitterly to their guns. So he chooses the govenor who signed the “gun free zone” bill that kept guns off the Virginia Tech campus?

WV didn’t have such a law, and a gunman at Appalachian Law School was stopped by someone who had a gun in his car.

Wethal on July 28, 2008 at 7:09 PM

I like him for Obama’s running mate. He has Hollywood looks. He has “bad cop” written all over him!

RushBaby on July 28, 2008 at 7:11 PM

daggit,that sould be,Obama’s nasty habit of
throwing his fellow Libs,under da bus,who
were at first….Uggh!

canopfor on July 28, 2008 at 7:12 PM

Call me crazy,but why has Obama
overlooked Harold Ford Jr!

canopfor on July 28, 2008 at 7:05 PM

Because Team Obama thinks America’s not ready for an all-black ticket? Or more likely, Obama doesn’t want to share the spotlight with another smart, articulate, young black man.

AZCoyote on July 28, 2008 at 7:15 PM

WAPO on the case for Tom Kaine

Someone said on a blog that Kaine speaks fluent Spanish ?

William Amos on July 28, 2008 at 7:18 PM

Kaine, who like Obama has Kansas roots

Right. Has Barry even been to Kansas? If Barry has Kansas roots, then I have Illinois roots because, although I’ve only been to Illinois twice in my life (on business to Chicago) that’s where my mother was born, so hey, I’m a Midwesterner!

As for Kaine, the only thing I know about him is that he was front and center during the Virginia Tech shooting nightmare, and he was quite impressive.

Buy Danish on July 28, 2008 at 7:20 PM

Here’s a good link to show who he is.

jerrytbg on July 28, 2008 at 7:22 PM

Obama/Kaine sounds like something you’d use for sunburn.
Cicero43 on July 28, 2008 at 6:44 PM

Now thatwas hilarious.

Seriously, the only thing that I can remember from Kaine’s rebuttal of the State of the Union speech was that roving eyebrow of his. What a distraction!

onlineanalyst on July 28, 2008 at 7:24 PM

Like Pawlenty, this guy was born in St.Paul. Maybe it’s a strategic move with Minnesota in mind after the Pawlenty rumor came out? Jeez, I dunno.

Buddahpundit on July 28, 2008 at 7:25 PM

As long as it isn’t Bayh, I’m fine.

AbaddonsReign on July 28, 2008 at 7:27 PM

Meryl Yourish on July 28, 2008 at 6:54 PM

Yes. As a fellow Virginian, all I can say is yes. Please yes. Get this creepy little critter outta the governor’s mansion PLEASE.

I don’t know exactly what it is, but Tim Kaine scares me. I don’t trust him as far as I could throw a steam shovel.

hillbillyjim on July 28, 2008 at 7:27 PM

Call me crazy,but why has Obama
overlooked Harold Ford Jr!

canopfor on July 28, 2008 at 7:05 PM

For the same reason Michael Steele isn’t on McCain’s list — both of them lost their last statewide elections. If they can’t carry their own state, they’re not much use as running mates.

Ed Morrissey on July 28, 2008 at 7:27 PM

Yes! Please Uuuuuuhbama, take him. Take him far away.

thekingtut on July 28, 2008 at 7:29 PM

Anna on July 28, 2008 at 6:40 PM

Whatta ya mean, better??? Kaine is an anti-carbon copy of Obama himself!!!! It’s the Ebony/Ivory empty suit ticket….

ScottG on July 28, 2008 at 7:29 PM

Someone said on a blog that Kaine speaks fluent Spanish ?

William Amos on July 28, 2008 at 7:18 PM

Yes. Maybe that’s why Obama likes him. Tim is going to teach Obama to speak Spanish so he can hispander to the illegals and their supporters in their preferred language.

I don’t see Kaine doing that much for Obama in Virginia. Obama already has the NoVa vote; they’re mainly liberals, and they were never going for McCain anyway. The eastern part of Va. has a lot of military types, most of whom won’t vote for Obama no matter who his VP is. The central and western and southwestern parts of Va. are full of those gun-toting, Bible-thumping types who are already suspicious of Obama. Kaine, who’s not a native Virginian, probably won’t sway many of them.

AZCoyote on July 28, 2008 at 7:30 PM

Well Hillbillyjim, maybe it’s because Governor Timbo wants to tax us into poverty.

thekingtut on July 28, 2008 at 7:31 PM

Because…

AZCoyote on july 28,2008 at 7:15PM.

AZCoyote: I’ll go with your assessment,on the doesn’t
want to share the spotlight with another smart,
articulate,young black man.

Thats what I was also thinking,(two hustlers)on
the same stage!

And,I wonder,Harold went to church as well,I
also wonder,was it the same as Wrights!haha:)

canopfor on July 28, 2008 at 7:33 PM

Those aren’t the eyebrows I thought I knew.

km on July 28, 2008 at 7:33 PM

Ed Morrissey on July 28, 2008 at 7:27 PM

And he’s heading up the liberal Republican group the Republican Leadership Council with Christie Todd Whitman.

It's Vintage, Duh on July 28, 2008 at 7:35 PM

thekingtut on July 28, 2008 at 7:31 PM

Yeah, there’s that. But there’s something I can’t quite put my finger on that just creeps me out about this guy. Besides the say-anything part, and the ‘any tax is a good tax’ part, …

hillbillyjim on July 28, 2008 at 7:37 PM

The Axelrod camp seriously thinks Virginia is in play with this choice.

SouthernGent on July 28, 2008 at 7:39 PM

Kaine…isn’t he the Governor that had sex with the underage goat…don’t mean to start a rumor, just askin.

right2bright on July 28, 2008 at 7:40 PM

Here’s a good link to show who he is!

jerrytbg on July 28,2008 at 7:22PM.

jerrytbg: Very interesting,but my gawd,HuffPost!

Hey,now i am perplexed,whats with the article
title,”Calamity Kaine”,as in calamity Jane,
they have Fematized Kaine,wtf?:)haha.

canopfor on July 28, 2008 at 7:46 PM

And,I wonder,Harold went to church as well,I
also wonder,was it the same as Wrights!haha:)

canopfor on July 28, 2008 at 7:33 PM

I don’t think Harold has that problem, but he does have others. As Ed pointed out, he lost his Senate race in Tennessee. He also has some very crooked family members (an uncle and cousin, IIRC).

AZCoyote on July 28, 2008 at 7:48 PM

zzzzzzzzzz

becki51758 on July 28, 2008 at 7:51 PM

Kaine is a perfect choice! Putting somebody with a career in national politics, multiple elections, foreign policy experience, national security experience, a track record……. All of that would distract from Obama’s one asset and remind the electorate he has 146 days in national office and his most significant experience before that was as a community organizer/ race baiter in South Chicago.

Truth of the matter is that Obama needs Biden or Bayh (Clinton has more baggage than a 747 and Dodd’s chances went down with Fannie Mae’s fortunes).

highhopes on July 28, 2008 at 7:51 PM

For the same reason….

Ed Morrissey on July 28,2008 at 7:27PM.

Ed Morrissey: Not much use as running mates,yup,its not
really helpful when you loose your state!

I just remembered Fords campaign a bit,and
it looked like these two,Obama and Harold
would be two peas in a pod!

I just hope,Obama’s pick,is an ungoing,
neverending political soap opera of a
trainwreck!————————–:)

canopfor on July 28, 2008 at 7:54 PM

Kaine was only elected in 2005 for 2 reasons:

It’s Vintage, Duh on July 28, 2008 at 6:51 PM

I agree completely – Kaine won on Warner’s merits in a race that had zero well liked candidates.

For my fellow Virginians I would like to raise a few thoughts as to what this might mean for the state.
1. If Kaine is picked does he have to relinquish the governorship? And if yes does that mean Bill Bolling becomes the sitting governor?

2. Bolling has already announced that he will run for a second term as Lt. Gov in 2009 leaving the top slot for AG Bob McDonnell, what would a one year stint as governor do to that arrangement?

3. With Terry McAuliffe pushing Kaine all of a sudden, has anyone thought that this might be a Hillary deal? I don’t mean to go all conspiracy theory, but it is not unlikely that Kaine could be a challenger for the 2012 nomination should Obama lose this round (which I personally think Hillary is going to make sure he does). Could this ploy to get him on the ticket be to take out two competitors with one stone?

Govgirl on July 28, 2008 at 7:55 PM

The Axelrod camp seriously thinks Virginia is in play with this choice.

SouthernGent on July 28, 2008 at 7:39 PM

I’d suggest the opposite. Kaine plays much better with people that don’t know him (which is most of America). I just got a voter ID card even though I haven’t been a resident of VA since 1992. If Virginia is in play, perhaps I should reconsider my moral opposition to voting twice!

highhopes on July 28, 2008 at 7:56 PM

jerrytbg on July 28,2008 at 7:22PM.

That “massive new coal-fired plant” referenced in that piece at Huffpoo is about three miles from my back door. It’s hilarious to read all of the gloom-and-doom BS being spread around here by the eco-freaks, who, of course, are all NOT FROM HERE. Everyone around these parts is all for it; even the staunchest Democrats.

I’m looking forward to the indignant protests and meaningless acts of defiance sure to come as construction begins.

Kaine has taken no position, as usual.

hillbillyjim on July 28, 2008 at 7:56 PM

I don’t think that Harold has that problem,…

AZCoyote on July 28,2008 at 7:48PM.

AzCoyote:Thanks for the info,:)

canopfor on July 28, 2008 at 8:00 PM

highhopes on July 28, 2008 at 7:56 PM

According a friend of mine working for the Obamuh campaign in Virginia, it’s not really in play. It’ll be Obamuh in a landslide! Bwahahahaa

SouthernGent on July 28, 2008 at 8:16 PM

canopfor on July 28, 2008 at 7:46 PM

I got a laugh out of it too!!!

Kaine has taken no position, as usual.

hillbillyjim on July 28, 2008 at 7:56 PM

Yup… just another empty suit!

jerrytbg on July 28, 2008 at 8:22 PM

Govgirl:

Bolling would become Gov for a year if Kaine becomes VP. I doubt Bolling would turn around and go back on his pledge to run for Lt Gov again. He’d just run in 2013 as planned and be able to claim a year of experience under his belt.

Interesting point about McCauliffe pushing Kaine. I guess one should never completely rule out a Clinton conspiracy, but I think McCauliffe has been a Kaine ally for a while and desperately wants an “in” with a possible Obama administration.

BuzzCrutcher on July 28, 2008 at 8:22 PM

when you loose your state

lose

Jaibones on July 28, 2008 at 8:26 PM

P.S. Dems were saying Kerry was going to be “close” in 2004. It ended up being 54-46 for Bush. Obama/Kaine would certainly improve on that, but no way in hell could they win by more than a point or two. Besides all the Bush voters they would have to flip, Kerry probably got some Navy votes that will go to McCain this time.

BuzzCrutcher on July 28, 2008 at 8:28 PM

P.P.S. in Virginia I mean

BuzzCrutcher on July 28, 2008 at 8:28 PM

Anna on July 28, 2008 at 6:40 PM

Anna,

Aren’t all his pictures kind of creepy?

But seriously, You can’t think of anything Timmy has done? Don’t you recall how he broke about 3 of the major planks of his campaign within his first week in office? If he’d gone against this last Court ruling about Capital Punishment, he’d have 4. Everything Jerry Kilgore got blasted for saying has come true.

I think he’d have plenty to embarrass the Obie camp….that is, if it got reported. And the nation would be introduced to “The Eyebrow.”

Reporting from Floyd County.

TugboatPhil on July 28, 2008 at 8:35 PM

Kaine’s a Catholic. Nothing else to recommend him for the VP slot at all. It would be seen as “we couldn’t get Jim Webb but we really want someone from Virginia.” Kaine was a zero as mayor of Richmond and a zero as Lt. Gov. He did not win the election for Governor so much as Jerry Kilgore lost it. He has no accomplishments at all.

rockmom on July 28, 2008 at 8:36 PM

If the Democrats want to put VA in play, Obama should pick Mark Warner, not Kaine. Warner left office with something like an 80% approval rating. Kaine’s liked well enough, but he hasn’t accomplished as much as Warner did. I doubt Obama will pick Warner–Obama needs someone who has more experience to balance Obama’s lack, and Kaine’s been in office just about the same time as Obama (i.e., not very long at all). To have on a national ticket the candidates have about 5 years of experience in higher office COMBINED would be pretty pathetic, no?

Yossarian on July 28, 2008 at 8:38 PM

Say, didn’t Kaine get convicted of killing his brother, Abel?

Buford Gooch on July 28, 2008 at 8:55 PM

Aren’t all his pictures kind of creepy?

I’m so glad I keep hearing this comment. For a while there I thought I was the only one who got the creeps from Kaine.

highhopes on July 28, 2008 at 9:01 PM

Buzzcrutcher:

What about this scenario in VA. That Bolling runs for Gov. McDonnell runs for re-election as AG and Ken Cuccinelli runs for Lt. Gov instead of running for AG? Since even though they have all “declared” nothing will be official until we get to a convention or primary next year, and that is way after the impact of any national election is settled.

Govgirl on July 28, 2008 at 9:19 PM

I hope Obama picks this guy. The guy looks like the Tasmanian Devil. Those 2 hair outcroppings – ready made for good caricature artists.
I’m sure the guy is very capable and a fine person, however. DD

Darvin Dowdy on July 28, 2008 at 10:16 PM

RushBaby on July 28, 2008 at 7:11 PM

Bad cop indeed. Perhaps to toughen up the ticket, he would consent to being called ‘Big Daddy Kaine’.

No, I won’t youtube link that one. I’m a soldier, not a monster. Even for a rapper, Big daddy Kane REALLY sucks.

austinnelly on July 28, 2008 at 10:25 PM

Govgirl on July 28, 2008 at 9:19 PM

I don’t have the faintest idea what you are talking about.. but I like it, because it sounds exciting!!
—-

Also, I’ve never even heard of this guy Kaine before, so this is an excellent pick for Obama, I hope he picks him or that crazy lady, the leader of the green party McKinney. That would also be a good pick imho, anything that will generate a loss is a good pick. If he picks an idiot like Biden I will be upset, go on a starvation diet and only eat humus for a month.

saus on July 28, 2008 at 10:43 PM

Obama needs a VP that can pick up one of the big states that has lots of electoral votes like the ones Hillary won in the Primary. I don’t see this guy adding any sizzle to the Dem ticket.

Dr Evil on July 28, 2008 at 10:44 PM

saus on July 28, 2008 at 10:43 PM</blockquote

Virginia holds all of its state elections on odd years – so in 2009 we have all of our 4 year state wide offices up for election, governor, lt. governor and attorney general. The Republicans have pretty much already set their ticket for all three. That would change in some way if the current Lt. Gov. Bill Bolling has to take the governorship over for Kaine. At the moment Bolling is running for re-election as Lt. Gov. not for Governor. I was just laying out a possible scenario for what would happen.

Govgirl on July 28, 2008 at 11:05 PM

I have not enjoyed the trend of my home state (VA) while I have been living in Florida. I need to go back but hate to move to a blue state. Can anyone tell me why we aren’t making more of the fact that Dems don’t pay their bills? I remember the first time I heard about a politican welching on the bills incurred during a presidential run was John Glenn. You can hear drips and drabs about the lack of money and non payment to vendors but I think some reporter needs to make a big deal of this. The way they run their campaigns is how they run the government, writing checks they can’t cover. How does a member of congress have a home foreclosure? Must be on the banking committee.

Cindy Munford on July 28, 2008 at 11:12 PM

Govgirl I’m a big fan of chaos theory, if it involves hillary insiders trying to sabotage the race / ticket, heck I’m all for it.

saus on July 28, 2008 at 11:42 PM

Kaine: another “cafeteria catholicwho promotes himself as “a person of faith” yet who works feverishly to secure pro-abortion politics and politicians in our government.

A “cafeteria catholic” is one who gets a lot of mileage out of the use of the Catholic Church like a label yet who lives by rejecting whatever about the Catholic theology that doesn’t suit his “customizations” of how “faith” can be used for political gain.

In other words, not a Catholic, just a shopper in a line that suits the daily need for appetite. Moreorless like Obama’s version of whateverworks “committed Christian” label.

Pelosi, John Kerry, Ted Kennedy, and many more Democrats are (also) “cafeteria catholics” (little “c” intended).

The Catholic Church (capital “C”) asks all practicing Catholics (capital “C”) to avoid sin and occasions of sin, and to decline to support those who advocate sin and occasions of sin (my own summary, but it’s an accurate one, of principles of faith), and, abortion is sin. The entire Democratic Party pivots upon (platform) enabling, “protecting” and making available abortions on demand. And that’s just one “occasion of sin” and “sin” that Democrats advocate politically and socially. I support the Church when it considers withholding the Sacraments (Holy Communion, particularly) from those who allege to be Catholic and yet who live lives advocating acts and positions contrary to the faith.

I read Kaine self-promoting himself as “a person of faith” and then I look at who he devotes his time and energy to and what they represent and I wonder just what “faith” Kaine actually is involved in. So no wonder he’s drawn Obama’s attention.

S on July 29, 2008 at 4:56 AM

I’m just saying — Freedom of Religion — that, individuals who lay claim to a title yet go about devoting themselves to terms and goals that contradict the characteristics of that title, are ingenuine, are, well, charlatans, or, to be blunt, liars. They’re deceitful, they’re deceivers, in other words.

Anyone can believe what they chose but don’t call it one thing when it is another.

S on July 29, 2008 at 4:59 AM

I think Kaine running as VP would be a great thing. I mean, here you have Obama talking about raising taxes, then you have Kaine who recently tried to force a very large tax increase upon Virginia. At a time when prices are skyrocketing and wages aren’t, well, I think alot of people would rather not have more of their wages garnished. Although if they win they’d definately be taxing the voters….(pun intended)

wolfva on July 29, 2008 at 6:36 AM

Great, get Kaine leave today?

Us Virginians will be far better off without him. What a do nothing dope he is.

And it would provide balance to the ticket – two complete jackasses on the same ticket.

NoDonkey on July 29, 2008 at 8:44 AM

Kaine always seemed inordinately pleased with himself. He’s perfect for the ticket!

DrSteve on July 29, 2008 at 9:43 AM