Get well soon, Robert Novak

posted at 1:50 pm on July 28, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

Robert Novak, one of the most highly read columnists on Beltway politics, has been diagnosed with a brain tumor after suddenly falling ill yesterday. His column will go on suspension while doctors determine whether the tumor is malignant or not and the best course of treatment in either case:

Chicago Sun-Times columnist Robert Novak announced Monday he has been diagnosed with a brain tumor, but says “God willing” he will be back at work soon.

Novak said he was diagnosed on Sunday with a brain tumor and will soon begin treatment at Brigham and Women’s Hospital in Boston. …

The diagnosis was sudden, she said. He became ill Sunday during a family outing near Cape Cod, Mass. A family member called 91[1], and he was brought by ambulance to Brigham and Women’s Hospital in Boston, where the diagnosis was made.

It will be interesting to see how this news gets received by the media and the blogosphere. When Ted Kennedy got a similar diagnosis, the outpouring of attention and good wishes spread across the political spectrum. Novak, who has reported on American politics for longer than Ted Kennedy has worked in it, will probably not get the same reaction. Last week, when Novak accidentally hit a pedestrian with his car without realizing it — a story that takes on more subtleties with this diagnosis — one blogger called him a “sociopath”.

At any rate, I’d like to wish Novak the same prayers and thoughts I offered for Kennedy — quick and complete recovery. We’re going to miss his incisive commentary and his connections in the next 99 days until the election, but hopefully we’ll have him back in the scrum soon.

Update: No fair peeking at DU.  That’s a gimme.

Comments

Ooof. Brain tumor. If its operable/treatable he has a good shot, I knew a guy last year who had a baseball sized tumor that was surgically removed. After that I am not exactly sure what surgeons can’t do. Very impressive.

Dr. Manhattan on July 28, 2008 at 1:53 PM

I’m sorry, but does poster #7 at DU actually have Abraham Lincoln as his/her avatar?

***

Never liked Novak much, but wouldn’t wish a tumor on him or anyone. Hope he recovers soon.

amerpundit on July 28, 2008 at 1:53 PM

My prayers are with him. Perhaps this explains the accident he had hitting the pedestrian and not seeing him.

kimsch on July 28, 2008 at 1:54 PM

DU is wheels off – bantering the idea of paying of a brain tumor diagnosis to beat a hit/run? Wow.

Spirit of 1776 on July 28, 2008 at 1:55 PM

What is it with the Nutroots and talking about right-winger’s “crimes”? Tony Snow committed crimes, and I guess Bob Novak did too. Can someone explain this liberal lunacy?

warrenmr on July 28, 2008 at 1:57 PM

Always thought he was a decent fellow. Hope he recovers. Why is it the truly evil people have to be killed? Why can’t they get a devastating illness?

john1schn on July 28, 2008 at 1:58 PM

Novak was born Jewish and attended Christian services sporadically until the mid-1960s, after which he stopped going to religious services for nearly 30 years. But Novak said the Holy Spirit began to intervene in his life.

[...]

Novak started to go to Mass regularly, but it wasn’t until a few years later that he decided to convert to Catholicism. The turning point, as he recounts in his book, happened when he went to Syracuse University in New York to give a lecture. Before he spoke, he was seated at a dinner table near a young woman who was wearing a necklace with a cross. Novak asked her if she was Catholic, and she posed the same question to him.

Novak replied that he had been going to Mass each Sunday for the last four years, but that he had not converted.

Her response – “Mr. Novak, life is short, but eternity is forever” – motivated him to start the process of becoming a Catholic through the Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults. He was baptized at St. Patrick’s Church in 1998. His wife was also baptized a Catholic.

Novak said he believed the Holy Spirit led him to Catholicism. He told an audience at the Heritage Foundation in Washington Aug. 2 that when he was interviewed by The New York Times about his book the interviewer scoffed at his story about his source turned priest.

But Novak said he told her he believed the Holy Spirit was behind the coincidences.

“I consider this the only one true faith, so I believe the Holy Spirit led me to it,” Novak said. “Then the next day Pope Benedict (XVI) said the same thing.”

(from: http://home2rome.wordpress.com/2007/08/08/robert-novaks-journey-to-catholicism/ )

RBMN on July 28, 2008 at 1:59 PM

It doesn’t get any better at dKooks.

F***! Just when you are good and sure of your hate for a person, something you would never wish on anyone happens and suddenly you have to view them as a human after all.

Bob, you suck, but I wish you the best possible outcome in this.

I wonder if this is why he ran over the kid the other day. That would certainly help to explain it.

I hope the dark hearted treasonous-president protecting bastard beats this thing and lives long enough to fight another day.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on July 28, 2008 at 2:00 PM

prayers to Robert and his family.

Chakra Hammer on July 28, 2008 at 2:00 PM

I wonder if this brain tumor is not partially responsible for his collision with the pedestrian last week and his claim not to have seen the pedestrian.

Outlander on July 28, 2008 at 2:01 PM

He became ill Sunday during a family outing near Cape Cod, Mass.

Is there something in the Water?

A friend of mine’s father also has a Brain Tumor just diagnosed this last week. VERY ODD. Not saying it is a conspiracy… and not that I care about Kennedy or Novak, but it seems weird.

upinak on July 28, 2008 at 2:01 PM

Refuah Sheleimah, Bob.

dmh0667 on July 28, 2008 at 2:01 PM

I hope he gets on Temodar ASAP, for his sake.

The stuff REALLY works!

omnipotent on July 28, 2008 at 2:02 PM

Wow this is just another in sad line of people dying and getting sick lately, Tony, Bobby Murcer and now Robert Novak.

All my prayers and well wishes go to Robert and his family, lets hope the media and those on the left treat him with the respect he deserves, despite the fact we saw they didn’t with Tony Snow.

Rbastid on July 28, 2008 at 2:02 PM

Is there something in the Water?

upinak on July 28, 2008 at 2:01 PM

cell phones..?

iTumor

Chakra Hammer on July 28, 2008 at 2:03 PM

It seemed to me that Novak could’ve put a big stop to the whole Valerie Plame fiasco a few years back, but didn’t. I’m not sure if it was for some journalistic integrity issue or what.

Nonetheless, best wishes for a full recovery, Bob.

Rhinoboy on July 28, 2008 at 2:03 PM

Get well soon, Robert Novak

Here here!

Weebork on July 28, 2008 at 2:03 PM

I wish cancer on no one (except some terrorists). I also do not like to “canonize” men when they get cancer.
But Novak is a creative genius, he has been a top journalist for decades, but it does seem (hindsight) that his reporting had been slipping. Making a few “rookie” errors.
God speed on this journey…one I would not wish on anyone (except the terrorists).

right2bright on July 28, 2008 at 2:04 PM

They are having to sanitize the thread at ThinkProgress every few minutes now.

Karl on July 28, 2008 at 2:05 PM

Hate to hear that, and wish him well. Maybe that explains why he recently hit a person with his car!

byteshredder on July 28, 2008 at 2:06 PM

cell phones..?

iTumor

Chakra Hammer on July 28, 2008 at 2:03 PM

No I seriously think it is something in the water. Mass water, isn’t the greatest from my understanding.

upinak on July 28, 2008 at 2:08 PM

Rhinoboy on July 28, 2008 at 2:03 PM

He could also have a better stance on Israel, but agreed best wishes for a full recovery.

amerpundit on July 28, 2008 at 2:08 PM

What is it with the Nutroots and talking about right-winger’s “crimes”?

warrenmr on July 28, 2008 at 1:57 PM

Anything that does not conform to their worldview is a crime in their eyes. I would not be surprized to hear them discuss burning conservatives at the stake.

Back on subject – best wishes to Mr Novak. I have admired your work for years, and prayers are with you.

Think_b4_speaking on July 28, 2008 at 2:08 PM

Brain Tumor or perhaps it is the activation of the X Gene. Novak is a mutant! Soon, he’ll be walking through walls, and generally getting the goats of liberals –oh, wait, he doesn’t need mutant powers for that (at least the latter).

Get well, Novak. Politics wouldn’t be as exciting without ya.

Weebork on July 28, 2008 at 2:08 PM

It’s nice to see that the posters at DU are so classy.

Erockk on July 28, 2008 at 2:11 PM

Best wishes to the “Prince of Darkness”, as we affectionately call him in casa de major dad (By virtue of those hugely entertaining, pre-college tour Capital Gang years).

tree hugging sister on July 28, 2008 at 2:11 PM

amerpundit on July 28, 2008 at 1:53 PM
My sentiments exactly. I despise him for his decades of Israel slandering lies, however I do not want anyone to get brain cancer, pancreatic cancer, liver cancer or bone cancer.

Hilts on July 28, 2008 at 2:11 PM

Prayers for Mr. Novak.

Nichevo on July 28, 2008 at 2:14 PM

Russert, Snow and now novak? What the hell is going on lately or does it just seem like ‘political’ folks are dropping like flies lately?

Get well Mr. novak, your voice will be sadly missed and look forward to hearing from you again soon.

dustoffmom on July 28, 2008 at 2:14 PM

Here’s wishing Bob a full and fast recovery.

Rodent on July 28, 2008 at 2:24 PM

The sick are still living. Please do not generalize so grossly. Robert Novak is alive. We wish him well.

Novak is not my favorite person. I was really pissed to read about him alledgedly leaving the scene of a crime/collision. I’m thinking now that maybe he left the scene because of his tumor.

His reported statement immediately following the crash is kinda weird. Many people experience personality quirks/changes as a result of brain injury.

The Race Card on July 28, 2008 at 2:29 PM

Get better soon, Bob.

No fair peeking at DU. That’s a gimme.

He Ed, didn’t you read what Michelle said on her page?

srhoades on July 28, 2008 at 2:29 PM

The discovery of a brain tumor certainly does lead one to suspect that maybe he DIDN’T know that he had hit that pedestrian….depending on where the tumor is, it could have effected him in that manner…

My prayers are with him and his family.

LL

Lady Logician on July 28, 2008 at 2:30 PM

DU Fill In The Blank Hate Form

________ you miserable right wing _______.
I hope________ because you are the biggest ______ on the planet.
Why wait. Go ahead and _______ yourself and make the world happy

DU Form#666

Beto Ochoa on July 28, 2008 at 2:34 PM

Godspeed Bob Novak.
I’ll pray for you.

Beto Ochoa on July 28, 2008 at 2:36 PM

Get well soon, Robert Novak

Mega Dittos . .Get well soon.

Texyank on July 28, 2008 at 2:37 PM

Brain tumors all over the place lately, seems like.

Seixon on July 28, 2008 at 2:46 PM

cell phones..?

iTumor

Chakra Hammer on July 28, 2008 at 2:03 PM

upinak on July 28, 2008 at 2:08 PM

Ehh stuff happens, one of my best friends in High School that had a brain tumor, he was a normal guy that all of a sudden was starting to get tired, headaches a lot so he got got a CAT scan, and they found a tumor(it wasn’t cancer, but he had to have surgery to get it removed HUGE scar) he’s was fine after a few weeks and he’s fine to this day..

that was in Indiana.. we had regular well water. :)

Chakra Hammer on July 28, 2008 at 2:46 PM

Get well soon, Mr. Novak.

Some adult intervened at the PuffHost and closed the comments.

JammieWearingFool on July 28, 2008 at 2:52 PM

I wish Bob the best and will be praying for him. He’s about 15 years older than I but we were born in the same town, Joliet, Il. where I still live and went to the same high school. I don’t know Bob but I know of his “local boy does good” story and am proud of his accomplishments.

dalec on July 28, 2008 at 2:53 PM

Best of luck to Mr. Novak.

rbj on July 28, 2008 at 2:53 PM

To me, finding out one has a brain tumor would be the scariest thing imaginable. To have something grow where it should not be in the very seat of our consciousness, well, I would not wish it on anybody. I don’t have an opinion one way or another about Novak, but I do wish him a speedy recovery.

Is there anyone that the DU/Kos Kids wouldn’t want to painfully die? There seems to be a segment of the population that finds glee in anybody’s untimely demise/sickness.

Anna on July 28, 2008 at 2:54 PM

I pray it’s benign and operable. Best wishes Mr. Novak.

Texas Gal on July 28, 2008 at 2:56 PM

Check this out, I’m going to predict the future. Many liberals will post wishes of physical suffering and early death for Novak simply because they disagree with his views.

Paul-Cincy on July 28, 2008 at 2:57 PM

Update: No fair peeking at DU. That’s a gimme.

I’m shocked. Some of the DUers are actually wishing him well.

It's Vintage, Duh on July 28, 2008 at 3:11 PM

Brain tumors all over the place lately, seems like.

Seixon on July 28, 2008 at 2:46 PM

Tell me about it. In the last few years I’ve lost 1 cousin, 1 good friend, and 3 colleagues to malignant brain tumors of various sorts. I fear that I know how this movie ends. However, science marches on, and there’s always hope for a cure.

The only common denominator was that, except for my cousin, who was a marriage counselor, everyone I knew with a brain tumor was a radio-frequency engineer. My in-laws’ next-door neighbor, who also died of a brain tumor, was an enthusiastic ham radio operator with antennas all over his roof.

Although there’s no proof of a connection between cell phone frequencies and brain tumors, I still keep my cell phone usage down to a bare minimum. However, I draw the line at wearing a tinfoil hat. :-)

Anyway, I wish Mr. Novak the very best of luck with his course of treatment and hope he gets well soon.

Mary in LA on July 28, 2008 at 3:17 PM

Best wishes for a speedy recovery to Mr. Novak. You will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Wildcatter1980 on July 28, 2008 at 3:18 PM

I’ll offer him more prayers than I did Kennedy.

Tim Burton on July 28, 2008 at 3:20 PM

God speed, Mr Novak! My prayers for your recovery and for God’s Spirit that he sustain you and your family and friends during this difficult time!

sabbott on July 28, 2008 at 3:26 PM

I lost a friend to a brain tumor a couple of years ago. It was a horrible way for her to go. I wish Bob Novak only the best, a finding of non-malignance, and a speedy recovery.

The Kos kids are having quite a time trying to keep their page civil. They’re actually thanking people who say “No Comment” because they’ve shown restraint.

flutejpl on July 28, 2008 at 3:41 PM

I suspect that one reason that wingnuts tend to wish people well even if in heated disagreement is a fundamental belief in redemption. “Come, let us reason together…”

It’s natural that those invested in coercion, in the “repent or die” mode, would behave otherwise — with death threats, curses, and ill wishes. Statist coercion is just as coercive as religious coercion, of course.

All that said, I hope that Mr. Novak makes a full and complete recovery.

cthulhu on July 28, 2008 at 3:43 PM

My hopes and prayers for a speedy recovery and prompt return
to reporting. God bless you and those you love.

Pat in NC on July 28, 2008 at 3:49 PM

Rbastid on July 28, 2008 at 2:02 PM

Everyone please keep the prayers going. I don’t know if any of y’all have noticed Neil Cavuto’s not been around, but apparently he has had surgery due to complications from his M.S. He battled cancer before he discovered he had M.S., but now we haven’t heard from him in a while. My heart hurts very much for all these great men, and for those still with us, make God watch over you. And for those who have left us, God be with you.

MsUnderestimated on July 28, 2008 at 3:53 PM

Get well soon to Bob & Neil.

Griz on July 28, 2008 at 4:12 PM

Get well soon sir. We need you and love ya Mr. Novak!

Branch Rickey on July 28, 2008 at 4:15 PM

Repeatedly praising HAMAS–as Novak frequently did (he said he was a supporter of HAMAS on CNN’s “Crossfire”)–is “incisive commentary”? Hilarious.

Debbie Schlussel on July 28, 2008 at 4:35 PM

Praying for Robert and his family right now.

saved on July 28, 2008 at 4:50 PM

Even if it were Obama the DU hates would come out and say it was because he was against Hillary and the same ones would say the same thing about her against him.

- The Cat

MirCat on July 28, 2008 at 5:40 PM

Well, I got this off Think Progess:

“Just go away Novak. No sympathy for you here. You’re [sic] aiding and abetting this criminal administration in treasonous activity will be your well deserved legacy. Say “hi” to Reagan when you get to Hell.”

Is that after they “sanitized” it?

Donald Douglas on July 28, 2008 at 5:50 PM

I wish Robert Novak well, hope he gets better soon.

4shoes on July 28, 2008 at 6:18 PM

Debbie Schlussel on July 28, 2008 at 4:35 PM

Well, no. Praising HAMAS comes under the heading of “stupid and wrong.” However, he has written other things that are incisive.

If I may quote Shakespeare way out of context, “One touch of nature makes the whole world kin” (Troilus and Cressida, act III, scene 3). We are all human in the end.

If I can hope and pray for a complete recovery for Senator Ted “Splash ‘n’ Dash” Kennedy, whose character and deeds I despise, I can surely do so for Mr. Novak, with whom I merely happen to disagree on various topics (such as HAMAS).

A really, really good and saintly person (I am not that good!!!) could even pray for someone as wicked as Adolf Hitler or Josef Stalin, praying that the evildoer might repent of his deeds and have a complete change of heart. (‘Course, you have to be alive to have a change of heart, which is why I said “someone as wicked as AH or JS”.) A brush with death often changes people’s outlook on life. Perhaps Mr. Novak will emerge from this experience with a different perspective on the world.

Mary in LA on July 28, 2008 at 6:51 PM

Sorry — there should be a paragraph break before “A brush with death…” above. I did not mean to make an odious comparison!

[quoting myself]

Not meaning to imply that I think he’ll turn leftie! That could only happen if the doctors had to remove *all* of his brain. ;-)

Mary in LA on July 28, 2008 at 6:56 PM

Outlander on July 28, 2008 at 2:01 PM

Actually, yes. When a patient has had in accident and doesn’t realize that he/she hit someone or something, one of the first things doctors check for is a brain tumor — spatial perceptions are affected.

Stefka on July 28, 2008 at 6:57 PM

If DU is hope, then I have no hope.

HELL for the DemocRATS.
HELL for the terrorists.
HELL for anybody to the left of Sen. McCain!

HotAirJosef on July 28, 2008 at 7:11 PM

Thanks, Debbie, for showing the same level of class you always do in these situations.

corona on July 28, 2008 at 7:37 PM

“Those who would damn others will in the end be damned themselves…

J_Gocht on July 28, 2008 at 8:53 PM

Mary in LA on July 28, 2008 at 6:56 PM

Actually, he used to be a lefty. He was a Kennedy Democrat, like I was, and was good friends with Kennedy and I believe Johnson. But, of course, lefty meant something different then. That’s why a lot of us aren’t there anymore. I wish him only the best.

Glynn on July 28, 2008 at 9:59 PM

As a Jewish conservative I have MAjor issues with Novak’s self-loathing(He was born Jewish and converted to Catholicism and is very anti-zionist/Jewish). I spent almost 12 years as an on again/off again generic Christian yet I never forgot where I came from.
I don’t like the man.
That said I hope he recovers speedily and hope G-d grants strength to his family.

annoyinglittletwerp on July 28, 2008 at 10:15 PM

warrenmr on July 28, 2008 at 1:57 PM

Very easy. For them, a Conservative IS a crime; therefore, we need to be exterminated like bugs, according to them.

newton on July 28, 2008 at 10:52 PM

Debbie Schlussel on July 28, 2008 at 4:35 PM

Some words have no place in certain contexts. “Hilarious” is that word. That time is now.

Grow up.

The Race Card on July 29, 2008 at 1:42 AM

I wish him health much as I would any person. The world will keep turning, however.

LimeyGeek on July 29, 2008 at 2:01 PM