McCain’s “Obama love” ad yanked due to … copyright claim?

posted at 12:55 pm on July 26, 2008 by Allahpundit

Looks like it. Here’s the YouTube page where the clip used to be; the campaign webpage showcasing the two alternate versions now redirects. To quote my favorite liberal vis-a-vis Team Barry, “Is Team McCain even playing the same game?”

The video, set to Frankie Valli’s “Can’t Take My Eyes Off You,” had the makings of a rare viral hit for McCain. It had been viewed more than 200,000 times in its first three day on the Web, and helped McCain beat Obama in total views on YouTube over the past week.

“Obama Love” was the top promoted video on McCain’s YouTube channel, but more significantly, it was fodder for news coverage and bloggers and reposted across the Web.

A fitting end to a week whose big photo op was at the Sausage Haus. Even dumber than them evidently not buying the rights to the song is the fact that they haven’t reposted the video yet with the music stripped out or some piece of generic romantic classical music in the public domain swapped in. Exit question: Is it time for an intervention yet? And if so, who wants to host it? Given MM’s rather public disagreement with Maverick on immigration, I doubt we can lure his web people to the top secret Hot Air batcave…

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

That’s IT, AP! I’M SICK AND TIRED OF YOU LYING LIARS WHO LIE ABOUT JOHN MCCAIN. WITH THE POWER VESTED IN ME AS BLOG NAZI, I HEREBY BANISH YOUR SECRET-OBAMA-SUPPORTER BUTT TO EITHER KOS OR HUFFPO, WITH THE REST OF THE TRASH!!!

Good DAY, sir!

And if anybody has any dirt on AP, let me know, I’m trying to get him banned from this site.

misterpeasea on July 26, 2008 at 1:01 PM

Mistake, yes. But not nearly as big a blunder as Obama’s scratching the Landstuhl visit.

Ali-Bubba on July 26, 2008 at 1:03 PM

Allah,

Bah. McCain is an idiot, this election is Barrys’ to lose.

That said, if Abe Lincoln is right, Barry may manage it and McCain may stagger into the White House, wondering how the f*** he managed it.

I do hope he picks a good veep – the shock of actually *winning* may kill him.

Mew

acat on July 26, 2008 at 1:04 PM

I trying to figure out how, in this day and age, could anyone grap a music file for public use without considering the copyright issues.

Allah, not a bad idea. At least your cave is wired. Obviously Johnny’s isn’t.

Limerick on July 26, 2008 at 1:05 PM

misterpeasea on July 26, 2008 at 1:01 PM

Was that a joke? I hope so.

terryannonline on July 26, 2008 at 1:06 PM

Mark Steyn. Though, he’s not a McCain sycophant.

Failing that Laura I guess. I mean, she wrote “Shut Up and Sing” so she’s got all the music details worked out, right? I’d rather Hugh did it, but Hugh would be justifying McCain by the end, so that’s out.

Spirit of 1776 on July 26, 2008 at 1:08 PM

Is it time for an intervention yet?

forest on July 26, 2008 at 1:09 PM

Who told me to be optimistic the other day?

It’s gonna be epic.

lorien1973 on July 26, 2008 at 1:13 PM

Was that a joke? I hope so.

terryannonline on July 26, 2008 at 1:06 PM

It’s a parody of wise_man.

FloatingRock on July 26, 2008 at 1:14 PM

This election is playing perfectly into the “hip-democrat, clueless-republican” stereotypes.

While their message isn’t quite right, it seems the only people to understand the future of campaigning (apart from the dems and Obama) is the Paul/Barr/Libertarian crowd. The GOP/McCain is AGES behind in that regard.

(Let me set the record straight before we get carried away: I was a Romney man as far back as ’07, never a Ronulan … I’m just recognizing their handle on web-promotion and the pulse of the voters…)

Ludwig on July 26, 2008 at 1:15 PM

acat on July 26, 2008 at 1:04 PM

If McCain wins, what has he done to show that he’ll further conservatism? Anything? Someone yesterday said McCain should disappear until November and win it when people get sick of Obama. I think that’s where a lot of people are.

Conservatives would do better to have Obama win, Dems win everything and pick up the pieces later. McCain is incompetent. And we don’t need that for 4 years in the White House. As if Republicans don’t look crappy enough as is.

lorien1973 on July 26, 2008 at 1:16 PM

FloatingRock on July 26, 2008 at 1:14 PM

Oh ok. LOL!

terryannonline on July 26, 2008 at 1:16 PM

terryannonline on July 26, 2008 at 1:06 PM

It’s a mockery of this insanity combined with indignation. Apparently commenters here don’t take well to attempted message control by bullying. Who knew?

Spirit of 1776 on July 26, 2008 at 1:17 PM

Ludwig on July 26, 2008 at 1:15 PM

Paul had nothing to do with this, though. He was propped up by leftists and truthers who are already good at the online game. Think Paul had any idea about online fundraising? Please. In the end, the Ronulans were pissed that RP pissed away all that money they raised on terrible – and I mean terrible – ads and buys.

lorien1973 on July 26, 2008 at 1:17 PM

McCain doesn’t work weekends. He’ll get to it on Monday.

lorien1973 on July 26, 2008 at 1:20 PM

Still up at LIVELEAK

JetBoy on July 26, 2008 at 1:21 PM

@ lorien1973 on July 26, 2008 at 1:17 PM

You are mistaken to associate Paul only with truthers and left wingers.

muyoso on July 26, 2008 at 1:26 PM

I’m still holding out for Obama to self-destruct…that’s really all that’s left for McCain to hold on to. Fortunately, it’s not impossible.

AUINSC on July 26, 2008 at 1:26 PM

McCain proudly states he doesn’t use a computer and is clueless to the opportunities he is missing. He was going to fly out to an oil rig, but Dolly was in the gulf. Dolly hit land and was no longer an issue. He could have gone yesterday day or today , etc. However McCain doesn’t campaign on weekends. Another fact his campaign released. 100 days till the election, not counting weekends.

koolbrease on July 26, 2008 at 1:29 PM

Ludwig hit the nail on the head. McCain plays into EVERY stereotype of a republican, all of them being negative. That is not how you win an election. No one WANTS to vote for McCain, people just don’t want to vote for Obama. Save any giant catastrophe in the Obama camp, there is NO WAY McCain can win this election. His own daughter probably won’t vote for him.

muyoso on July 26, 2008 at 1:30 PM

Johnny, we’re sorry, we’re worried, won’t cha come on home…scooter music is timeless and hip. Now how can it be applied to the McCain campaign, what video or graphics?

Dr Evil on July 26, 2008 at 1:30 PM

lorien1973 on July 26, 2008 at 1:17 PM

Surely the blimp was money well spent, right?

BallisticBob on July 26, 2008 at 1:35 PM

A fitting end to a week whose big photo op was at the Sausage Haus.

Please tell me that ain’t the real name.

BallisticBob on July 26, 2008 at 1:37 PM

More typical McCain

Needs a cheat sheet to know the price of milk. Aren’t these the things we would always use against democrats?

muyoso on July 26, 2008 at 1:38 PM

BallisticBob on July 26, 2008 at 1:37 PM

Ugh. It was.

lorien1973 on July 26, 2008 at 1:38 PM

Surely the blimp was money well spent, right?

BallisticBob on July 26, 2008 at 1:35 PM

The blimp was independent of his campaign. Paul didn’t pay for it.

I doubt they spent much of the money, I’d have to look and see if it’s reported. But Paul crashed and burned in the primaries where the Paulbots had high hopes. So he’s sitting on bank.

Maybe he’ll use the $ to publish more racist screeds. Or maybe he’ll give it to Barr to try to sink McCain since our success in the ME helps Israel.

Spirit of 1776 on July 26, 2008 at 1:39 PM

Sausage Haus.

Please tell me that ain’t the real name.

BallisticBob on July 26, 2008 at 1:37 PM

Actually, the full name is “Schmidt’s Sausage Haus und Restaurant”

JetBoy on July 26, 2008 at 1:39 PM

Everyone keeps on talking about McCain’s mistakes. I agree he’s been making a bunch lately. I’m not sure Obama had a flawless week either. Am the only one that thinks that Obama giving an empty speech while trying to be like JFK to a big crowd of Germans wasn’t the best idea? Maybe I’m alone on this. Also, I didn’t hear a peep from people online that I usually count on to go ecstatic with everything Obama does.

terryannonline on July 26, 2008 at 1:40 PM

Bah. McCain is an idiot…

acat on July 26, 2008 at 1:04 PM

Looks like there’s still plenty of McCain-derangement floating about…

JetBoy on July 26, 2008 at 1:41 PM

My post about the Berlin speech got more than 200 comments. I’ve written four separate posts since Thursday afternoon about how vapid and sucky his rhetoric is.

Allahpundit on July 26, 2008 at 1:42 PM

@ terryannonline on July 26, 2008 at 1:40 PM

You arent looking at this like the normal American is. Sure Obama’s speech was all BS, but its not about what was said, its about the images. Obama speaking in front of 200k Germans, it doesnt matter what he said. No one heard a word he said, the images told the story. Read this:

muyoso on July 26, 2008 at 1:43 PM

Looks like there’s still plenty of McCain-derangement floating about…

JetBoy on July 26, 2008 at 1:41 PM

Less derangement, more disgust.

doubleplusundead on July 26, 2008 at 1:44 PM

We’re trying to get Allah banned? Well, I hear he throws like Maria Carey.

I’m not sure if that’s a bannable offense though…

Rhinoboy on July 26, 2008 at 1:44 PM

@ doubleplusundead on July 26, 2008 at 1:44 PM

muyoso on July 26, 2008 at 1:44 PM

muyoso on July 26, 2008 at 1:43 PM

Forget the 200k #. 20K maybe more accurate.

Spirit of 1776 on July 26, 2008 at 1:45 PM

@ Spirit of 1776 on July 26, 2008 at 1:45 PM

It DOESNT matter. It could have been 4 people. All that matters is that it looked like a million.

muyoso on July 26, 2008 at 1:46 PM

I’ve ignored that sort of “don’t criticize McCain!” carping before, even though it irritates the hell out of me, but if it’s starting to annoy other commenters I may have to think about intervening. It’s fine every now and then, but when it shows up from certain commenters in virtually every post about McCain, it rises to the level of trolling.

Allahpundit on July 26, 2008 at 1:47 PM

@ Spirit of 1776 on July 26, 2008 at 1:45 PM

The average voter isnt going to care about exactly how many people were there, they are going to see a quick blip on tv, or a photo online, and they are going to see THOUSANDS AND THOUSANDS of people cheering. Thats all they are going to see.

muyoso on July 26, 2008 at 1:47 PM

muyoso on July 26, 2008 at 1:47 PM

Sure it matters. It’s why sportsfans jump on bandwagons. Everyone likes to be a part of something bigger. So the press inflates the numbers to the point of absurdity. If the picture that influenced, the press would let the pics speak for themselves. They don’t.

Spirit of 1776 on July 26, 2008 at 1:49 PM

The theme to Romeo & Juliet was unavailable?
Tchaikovsky rocks!

christophercube on July 26, 2008 at 1:50 PM

Obama is a mega-gaffe machine…which makes McCain’s pitiful campaign performance even more infuriating…See Dole, Bob…1994 for a good comparison. McCain’s batting around .10 in a tee-ball game. It’s a-swing-and-a-miss…a-swing-and-a-miss..a-swing-and-a-miss…C’MON MAN! CONCENTRATE..THE DAMN BALL ISN’T EVEN MOVING!

AUINSC on July 26, 2008 at 1:51 PM

@ Spirit of 1776 on July 26, 2008 at 1:49 PM

The numbers DONT matter. The numbers matter to people like us, who bicker over the littlest of political things, and think everything is the next Watergate. The average viewer is not going to even watch the news. They might see a picture on yahoo or online somewhere, might see a picture on a late night talk show or the daily show. The numbers aren’t going to be an issue or even brought up in any of these. People are just going to see a candidate for president commanding a GIANT crowd.

muyoso on July 26, 2008 at 1:52 PM

muyoso on July 26, 2008 at 1:52 PM

I’ll leave the point at this. Million-Man March – think of a picture or a number? 70000 in Oregon. Picture or a number?

Spirit of 1776 on July 26, 2008 at 1:53 PM

Spirit of 1776 on July 26, 2008 at 1:53 PM

This is a better point:

Obama in Germany in front of 20,000 people
McCain at the Sausage House.

Is it really a contest?

lorien1973 on July 26, 2008 at 1:55 PM

@ Spirit of 1776 on July 26, 2008 at 1:53 PM

I don’t understand your question. Are you asking which will strike a bigger chord with the audience, seeing a picture or hearing a number? Does anyone even have to argue this? The picture will always impress more than a number.

muyoso on July 26, 2008 at 1:59 PM

Is it really a contest?

lorien1973 on July 26, 2008 at 1:55 PM

Not really. But let’s be blunt. McCain isn’t running for office so much as he’s standing as an alternative to Mr. Historical Megalomaniac Narcissistic Socialist. He already talked to La Raza, so all that’s left is to see back and wait.

Spirit of 1776 on July 26, 2008 at 1:59 PM

@ Spirit of 1776 on July 26, 2008 at 1:59 PM

Again, you are looking at this through the lens of a political commenter. So you can speak for about 1/100th of 1% of the voters. The rest of the voters dont see Obama as a Historical Megalomaniac Narcissistic Socialist, nor do they even know that McCain met with La Raza, nor what La Raza even is.

muyoso on July 26, 2008 at 2:02 PM

muyoso on July 26, 2008 at 1:59 PM

You’re right. Numbers don’t matter. So let’s make up big numbers that say Paul gets most of his support from the military. Oh wait, that’s already done.

I don’t understand what your grievance is. If the numbers are forged, they should be exposed. And yes, numbers matter. Talk at the watercooler is ‘did you hear Obama pulled 200k in Germany?’ Unless your watercooler comes w/ powerpoint, then you can show slides I guess, but wherever language is used, accuracy of language matters.

My point is the numbers are false to create a false impression. Don’t care? Fine. But doesn’t mean it doesn’t matter. Good, let’s move on.

Spirit of 1776 on July 26, 2008 at 2:04 PM

muyoso on July 26, 2008 at 2:02 PM

Dude. Look at the activity. Obama is seen as a historic candidate, McCain is running as the alternative in a poor environment for Republicans. The strategy is to play to indies and outline some of Obama’s liberality. Yes, voters pick up on that. Why do you think Liberals changed their names to Progressives. Because public opinion on the term Liberal was negative. It’s not that hard.

And I’m not saying voters care/know about La Raza. That was a comment about McCain’s own priorities.

Spirit of 1776 on July 26, 2008 at 2:07 PM

muyoso on July 26, 2008 at 1:47 PM

They are also going to see those people are young people in Germany. You know, the country that didn’t help us at all in Iraq, that Germany.

bnelson44 on July 26, 2008 at 2:07 PM

@ Spirit of 1776 on July 26, 2008 at 2:04 PM

I wrote out a whole response to you, but I just deleted it. So what difference is it if they report that there were 200 people at Obama’s speech? The pictures tell a story by themselves, any number that accompanies them is largely irrelevant to a majority of people. No one is going to go, “oh well he only pulled 20,000 germans to his speech, what a loser”. They are going to be like, “Holy S#$t, did you see how many people were there?”.

muyoso on July 26, 2008 at 2:09 PM

@ bnelson44 on July 26, 2008 at 2:07 PM

And you think the average voter thinks about that? About Iraq and who helped us? Stop thinking like a conservative, and start thinking like the average voter.

muyoso on July 26, 2008 at 2:10 PM

Obama in Germany in front of 20,000 people
McCain at the Sausage House.

Is it really a contest?

lorien1973 on July 26, 2008 at 1:55 PM

Rasmussen has McCain within 6 points, yea it is a contest.

McCain was planning on being on an oil platform in the Gulf on the day Obama was in Germany. Unfortunately the weather came in the way. I suspect he will be on a rig in the not too distant future demanding we drill. That should hit a courd.

bnelson44 on July 26, 2008 at 2:11 PM

muyoso on July 26, 2008 at 2:09 PM

You’re right. The brilliance of your argument has won me over. I don’t even know why we use language anyway. Such a wasteful invention, we could just email each other pictures.

Spirit of 1776 on July 26, 2008 at 2:11 PM

@ Spirit of 1776 on July 26, 2008 at 2:11 PM

Haha. For example, you brought up the million man march. Go ask a hundred people about the million man march, I guarantee you that less than 5 bring up the point that there were less than a million people marching. Thats my point. The numbers are important, but not to the average voter.

muyoso on July 26, 2008 at 2:13 PM

EXACTLY. Labeled as such by words, it’s into the historical lore.

Spirit of 1776 on July 26, 2008 at 2:16 PM

hold on how many germans really attended Obama’s speech does anyone know the real answer? Not if the MSM is covering the results.

Dr Evil on July 26, 2008 at 2:16 PM

Allahpundit on July 26, 2008 at 1:47 PM

THANK YOU!

Weight of Glory on July 26, 2008 at 2:17 PM

I swear that this election, both the Democrats, and the Republicans, nominated the worst possible candidate. It’s as if we’re both in competition to see who can lose the worst.

Now if you’ll excuse me, I’m off to increase my investment holdings in shotgun shells and canned food.

Snake307 on July 26, 2008 at 2:18 PM

muyoso on July 26, 2008 at 2:10 PM

I think the average American voter doesn’t care a hoot which man German socialists want as President of the United States.

Obama will get a bump out of the good pictures from this trip. But if gas remains high and we still have economic problems, they will vote their pocketbooks. Right now “it’s the economy stupid”. … now that can all change if something happens on the war front… but for now, it’s the economy and gas prices. Not feeling good about what Europe thinks.

bnelson44 on July 26, 2008 at 2:20 PM

Snake307 on July 26, 2008 at 2:18 PM

I disagree. I think both parties, for once, nominated the best possible candidate (out of those who were running).

bnelson44 on July 26, 2008 at 2:22 PM

Allahpundit on July 26, 2008 at 1:47 PM

I totally missed this until WoG referred to it. I just want to chime in that whatever you decide is cool, I still read all the posts, I just (usually) don’t comment as much when that stuff goes on. I started commenting just to show my appreciation for the effort and drive up traffic in a tiny way I can contribute, but even if the comments get worse I’m still going to read the posts regardless of the threads. Your work is too good to ignore.

Spirit of 1776 on July 26, 2008 at 2:27 PM

Bitch Bitch Bitch.

More people will sit and watch the evening news than will ever even hear of this ad.

I would have thought that after all these years and all the people who have used that song, it would have been in the public domain. But then I don’t really know anything about copyright law.

Maybe it is just me, but I think that skipping seeing wounded soldiers is more of a problem than using the wrong song on some video ad.

BTW, for all the people bitching about McCain, he wiped up the floor with other ones. So maybe we should be glad he won. If he is dumb as some of you folks say, how stupid do the rest of them have to be?

As for MM hosting it. I dunno, from what I hear Latinos are going over 60% for Obama this year, about a 20% decline in hispanic voters for the GOP since 2004. I would say MM has helped enough.

Terrye on July 26, 2008 at 2:33 PM

Your work is too good to ignore.

Spirit of 1776 on July 26, 2008 at 2:27 PM

Indeed it is.

Weight of Glory on July 26, 2008 at 2:35 PM

I am sorry, but who cares? Stuff like this happens. We have Obama skipping visits with troops so that he can pander to foreigners and you guys are making a big deal out of some copyright problem? Who the hell cares?

As for as MM hosting, I am not sure that would help with the general public.

I would say that the fact that the GOP has lost the hispanic vote to the Democrats, probably forever, because of a few hostile and loud mouth people during the immigration debate is going to hurt the Republicans a lot more this year than some copyright law problem with an internet video. What are the numbers now? Hispanic vote gone from 44% to 23%. Some people would say that was a product of amateur hour too.

Terrye on July 26, 2008 at 2:42 PM

And no, I am not an open border fanatic, an amnesty shill or a traitor. I just think that ignoring the larger issues that can really make a difference when it comes to demographics and making a big deal out of something like this is out of kilter, off base, whatever.

So McCain is not real into the internet..Was Fred!? Or any of those guys? That might be where we hang out, but the average person is still watching the evening news with whatever talking head is reading the teleprompter.

Terrye on July 26, 2008 at 2:46 PM

misterpeasea on July 26, 2008 at 1:01 PM

Was that a joke? I hope so.

terryannonline on July 26, 2008 at 1:06 PM

It was satire. Mark Twain would approve.

MB4 on July 26, 2008 at 2:47 PM

Stupider words are rarely spoken.

Really, this is a major screw up. This is the kind of mistake people make in middle school student body elections.

FYI:
It is the responsibility of the intellectual property owner to protect it. With this ad going viral and being so public, the IP owner must protect their works or they can actually risk losing their rights to them.

Also it’s the height of arrogance to think that he can just use another person’s work for his political campaign with no regard for royalties.

I call it theft. And if you steal something of mine, a lawsuit is the least of your worries. In fact, the courthouse is the safest place for you.

The Race Card on July 26, 2008 at 2:51 PM

That’s the final straw- I formally withdraw my support for McCain ’08.

Valiant on July 26, 2008 at 3:10 PM

The Race Card:

Major screw up? I do not know one single person who has even heard of this video. I am not saying a mistake was not made. The song has been around a long time and so someone got sloppy. I am not even saying that someone should not be fired and replaced with a more competent person. I am just saying that in the overall scheme of things, this is not an earth shattering event. People who are always bitching about McCain will use it an excuse to bitch some more. Fine. Have fun. But the truth is when it comes to winning elections there are more important things to worry about.

I don’t consider it theft, I consider it a mistake. Mistakes happen. Some of us make them every day. I know I do. Maybe you don’t.

Terrye on July 26, 2008 at 3:13 PM

Nothing matters until after Labor Day- this is all just nonsense to keep political junkies amused.
This will be a fairly close election and frankly, whoever makes the last mistake probably loses.

jjshaka on July 26, 2008 at 3:14 PM

That’s the final straw- I formally withdraw my support for McCain ‘08.

Valiant on July 26, 2008 at 3:10 PM

Hey Valiant! I’m going to google your comments and report back how many times you’ve said that before! Maybe I can get you banned!

RushBaby on July 26, 2008 at 3:15 PM

The Race Card:

Oh please. Someone made a mistake. They can fire the guy and replace him with someone else, they probably should. But to call it theft and make it a big huge deal, is just looking for something to complain about.

So now, this one ad means he is arrogant and a thief. What makes you think that McCain even knew there was a copy right issue? This is what I mean, people are just going over board with everything, it is getting silly.

Terrye on July 26, 2008 at 3:16 PM

Allahpundit on July 26, 2008 at 1:47 PM

They annoy the hell out of me because they disappear the instant they are confronted with facts against their candidate. The inability to debate is what makes them trolls.

Valiant on July 26, 2008 at 3:17 PM

RushBaby on July 26, 2008 at 3:15 PM

I’m glad somebody noticed. See my post above. Arguing with these simpletons has become impossible.

Valiant on July 26, 2008 at 3:19 PM

All will be forgiven when McNumbnuts picks a super duper whiz bang VP choice like Lindsay Grahm or Trent Lott…

sabbott on July 26, 2008 at 3:27 PM

Yeah, well the comments on them that included the n-word also didn’t help the vids’ cause. What also didn’t help is I e-mailed the campaign manager (don’t ask for the address – I won’t give it out) and cc’d the establishment media. Second time this campaign I’ve had their backs…

HotAirJosef on July 26, 2008 at 3:43 PM

I am not saying that criticizing McCain is wrong. I am saying it needs to be kept in some kind of context. He already has to deal with a press that is obviously out to help the other guy win. He does need to get better people doing his internet stuff for him, all the Republicans do. The GOP is not exactly cutting edge when it comes to this stuff.

But overall issues like the war, the economy, energy are all going to be more important than some internet ad that people will forget about in a month anyway.

Terrye on July 26, 2008 at 3:49 PM

The McCain camp should remake the same video, with orgasmic moaning in the background.

It would be more realistic, and more effective.

Entelechy on July 26, 2008 at 3:49 PM

Valiant:

I am not a simpleton, I just do not want Obama to be the next president. And I don’t see any other choices out there.

Terrye on July 26, 2008 at 3:50 PM

Allahpundit on July 26, 2008 at 1:42 PM

Terryann, in support of AP’s comment, his threads on topic, et all, do a search just on what I commented since the trip was planned, and to date. It’ll keep you busy for a while, and will affirm your sentiments too.

Entelechy on July 26, 2008 at 3:52 PM

lorien:

I don’t think we would be better off if Obama won. I am sure there was some Republican who thought the same thing about FDR and the New Deal and how it would all backfire. But it didn’t. Sometimes you just have to deal the hand you are dealt. And we were dealt McCain.

And I think he is a good man. I know Obama was in front of hudreds of thousands of Germans when McCain was here doing some silly American business thing, but hundreds of thousands of Europeans would not show up to hear an American conservative speak. They might show up to throw something at him, however. It is hard to compete with the rock star crowd.

I guess McCain could stage a campaign event at a NASCAR race or something, promise people free tickets. Get some hot country star to do a show. I am only half kidding.

Terrye on July 26, 2008 at 4:02 PM

Terrye on July 26, 2008 at 4:02 PM

Not a bad idea, fighting fire with fire, and considering the candidates we have to choose from it might improve the quality of the competition if the election morphs into a battle of the bands. Is there a way to arrange it so that the winning band becomes the next president? :)

FloatingRock on July 26, 2008 at 4:13 PM

Floating Rock:

The thing is the people at NASCAR probably do not want to see their events politicized. Rock bands don’t care.

I think that is part of the problem for those on the right. It is the same thing they notice when it comes to online participation etc. People on the right and center right tend to be more involved with family. They do not think about politics all the time and they like to keep the social…social. So they are less likely to hang out on political blogs or go to big political events. That is an inherent problem.

But the critics can be wrong too you know. I remember when everyone on the right jumped on Bush about Dubai, I think that was a case of something like mass hysteria, and when it had passed it became more obvious that there was nothing sinister in the deal. But the reaction was emotional and that blinded people. This kind of emotion is becoming more and more prevalent in politics. It is as if everything is a crisis.

Terrye on July 26, 2008 at 4:48 PM

Uhm, how about something minor… like, I don’t know… appointing R’s into every frigging federal office?

freevillage on July 26, 2008 at 5:00 PM

What has he done to show that he’ll further liberalism?

JetBoy on July 26, 2008 at 5:03 PM

What has he done to show that he’ll further liberalism?

Biggest thing – CFR

Spirit of 1776 on July 26, 2008 at 5:05 PM

Biggest thing – CFR

Spirit of 1776 on July 26, 2008 at 5:05 PM

What about it?

JetBoy on July 26, 2008 at 5:11 PM

What about it?

You asked who he further it. That’s your answer. If you don’t understand what CFR did then ask Feingold, or go do a little reading.

Spirit of 1776 on July 26, 2008 at 5:12 PM

who=how

Spirit of 1776 on July 26, 2008 at 5:13 PM

Spirit:

I heard Tom Coburn talking about CFR, which he did not support, but he did support McCAin. He said that McCain saw corruption and tried to deal with it. I think that was the main impetus behind that bill. I think that is why conservatives like Fred Thompson supported it. But money finds a way anyway, as we have seen.

I think McCain is a lot more conservative than Obama. I think he is center right. More right than center. I think we have a better chance of getting someone like Roberts and Alito with him. I trust him far more on foreign policy. I think he will really try to reign in spending and I like the fact that he has never supported an earmark of his own. His stand on right to life issues are a lot more conservative than Obama’s will ever be and he is not supporting some huge government mandated health care system.

So I think he will be better for conservatives than Obama, but probably not good enough to please a lot of them. I do not know if he can catch up to the online stuff, like this copyright issue. I imagine he thought everything was taken care of.

Terrye on July 26, 2008 at 5:16 PM

Jet Boy:

Campaign Finance Reform.

Terrye on July 26, 2008 at 5:18 PM

I think McCain is a lot more conservative than Obama.

Terrye, not going to argue that at all. I’m was just out to answer Jet’s question.

CFR is an atrocity. The best thing you can say about it is maybe it was just bad judgment. But unfortunately it was just a bill he voted for, it’s a bill he sponsored.

You can give me all the ‘better then Obama’ stuff, but that’s uncontested by me. I would just like the R nom to stop with the unConsitutional stuff. That’d be great.

But money finds a way anyway, as we have seen.

Side note: so what? Why is that a problem? Foreign money is a problem, but domestic? Spend away.

Spirit of 1776 on July 26, 2008 at 5:21 PM

what is with my typing today? was just = wasn’t just

Spirit of 1776 on July 26, 2008 at 5:21 PM

C’MON MAN! CONCENTRATE..THE DAMN BALL ISN’T EVEN MOVING!

AUINSC on July 26, 2008 at 1:51 PM

Heh.

He wants to get along with the other team. Civility, honor, bipartisanship, etc.

So he doesn’t want to hurt their self-esteem by whacking the ball at the retard who has never played before.

misterpeasea on July 26, 2008 at 5:22 PM

Spirit:

I never said it was just a bill he voted for. Believe it or not, not everyone thinks of spending money on campaigns as a free speech issue. I am not saying it is not, but most people think that freedom of speech means I can say what I want and the government will not haul me away.

At the time that bill was passed there was a lot of talk about too much money in politics and what a corrupting influence it is. In fact there are probably people today who feel that the money spent to get elected is so out of control that it is a threat to our political system.

Fred Thompson did not just vote for the bill either, he along with his good friend Diane Fienstein added an amendment to the bill. But Fred! was forgiven, McCain was not.

The bill has obviously not shut down free speech.

Terrye on July 26, 2008 at 5:27 PM

The bill has obviously not shut down free speech.

This is actually factually false. 2nd Ad ads have been blocked as have right-to-live ads. The effects of this bill are chilling.

And this minimizes the bill by casting it as monetary policy.

People talk about Al Gore being a genius. Doesn’t make it true.

Search my name, CFR, and Fred Thompson and you won’t claim that. Huge mistake by Fred, as was the brief for SC in defense.

Spirit of 1776 on July 26, 2008 at 5:35 PM

I can see that MDS- McCain Default Syndrome is alive and well here.

You can recognize it by the posters who spew hatred at anybody critical of McCain. Common side effects are mutterings of how bad Obama is, amnesia about McCain’s “progressive” record and deal making with Kennedy and Feingold, and low self-esteem from having to prop up a lousy candidate.

The cure is simple- simply stop defending somebody like John McCain as a conservative. It’s too late to save this election but never too late to start demanding true conservative principles from GOP candidates and the defeat of political traitors like McCain. The first step is to simply stop defending a bitter old man who has no business in the White House (other than on the tour).

highhopes on July 26, 2008 at 5:40 PM

Spirit of 1776 on July 26, 2008 at 5:12 PM

How is CFR relevant to what McCain would do to further liberalism? CFR is dead. Kaput. Was it bad? Sure. But you think McCain would push this again as POTUS?

C’mon now…