Obama beat reporter: The campaign’s “terrified of people poking around Obama’s life”

posted at 6:55 pm on July 24, 2008 by Allahpundit

The quote’s buried near the end of an otherwise silly TNR piece speculating that the media might be about to, ahem, turn on Barack Obama. After reading it, I can’t decide if the takeaway is (1) that the press is a bunch of whiny, self-entitled five-year-olds, per the comically overwrought reactions from Adam Nagourney and the reporters Obama ditched to meet with Hillary, (2) that TNR, which published a similar piece about Hillary last year, has an odd fondness for stories about journalists loathing the politicians they have to cover (“The difference is the Clinton people were hostile for no reason”), or (3) that Obama and his team really are arrogant, secretive jackasses paranoid to a provocative degree about St. Barack’s personal life.

In the interests of partisan advantage, I duly declare number three to be our winner. Money:

Much of this is certainly the run-of-the-mill complaining of campaign reporters who can’t get enough access. Still, the campaign hasn’t helped itself, approaching reporters with a sense of entitlement. “They’re an arrogant operation. Young and arrogant,” one reporter covering the campaign says. “They don’t believe in transparency with their own campaign,” another says.

Reporters who have covered Obama’s biography or his problems with certain voter blocs have been challenged the most aggressively. “They’re terrified of people poking around Obama’s life,” one reporter says. “The whole Obama narrative is built around this narrative that Obama and David Axelrod built, and, like all stories, it’s not entirely true. So they have to be protective of the crown jewels.” Another reporter notes that, during the last year, Obama’s old friends and Harvard classmates were requested not to talk to the press without permission.

As tensions escalate, the risk to Obama, of course, is that reporters will be emboldened to challenge his campaign ever more aggressively.

So absurd is that last line, three months out from the election with Obama clinging to a small lead despite the media’s best efforts, that I’m inclined to dismiss the whole piece as counterprogramming for McCain’s “Love” ad. As it is, given the way innocuous details about him have metastasized, I don’t much blame them for not cooperating on biographical pieces. The irony is, if they have nothing to hide then the secrecy’s probably hurting them by fostering suspicions that could otherwise easily be debunked. Read this NBC “Deep Background” piece about Obama’s “senior thesis” at Columbia on Soviet nuclear disarmament. Sounds innocent enough — until you learn that his spokesman won’t even discuss what happened to Obama’s copy of it. Smart thinkin’. Let the investigation begin!

Comments

this narrative that Obama and David Axelrod built

The can be no doubt who’s pulling the strings.

SouthernGent on July 24, 2008 at 7:02 PM

Well, he wants to be liked by them. He better straighten up.

It's Vintage, Duh on July 24, 2008 at 7:02 PM

Holy Dick Nixon, Batman!

mustng66 on July 24, 2008 at 7:03 PM

The campaign’s “terrified of people poking around Obama’s life”

Are they concerned now about Barack Obama’s version of Bill Clinton’s ‘bimbo eruptions?’

Not to worry. Anyone who questions barack’s version of events in his life are just right-wing truthers just like the people asking questions about his birth certificate. right?

wise_man on July 24, 2008 at 7:04 PM

I tell you, he is way too controlled by his campaign..and with the way he is speaking to the people of europe right now its like he is running for president of the solar system….im gonna get made fun of for this but with everything he is promising can somebody say anti-christ…ok maybe that was a lil far fetched, he would have to get elected for that and I dont think its gonna happen

SoCalInfidel on July 24, 2008 at 7:04 PM

Seek and you shall find!

thmcbb on July 24, 2008 at 7:06 PM

Where is the exit question?

Aristotle on July 24, 2008 at 7:09 PM

The campaign’s “terrified of people poking around Obama’s life”

Which begs the question, “Why?”.

amerpundit on July 24, 2008 at 7:09 PM

Time for some diggin’.

SoulGlo on July 24, 2008 at 7:09 PM

…during the last year, Obama’s old friends and Harvard classmates were requested not to talk to the press without permission.

Sing, children! SING!!!

The nerve.

tree hugging sister on July 24, 2008 at 7:10 PM

You don’t say.

1-True
2-True, they actually think it add credibility
3-Undoubtedly

As to dismissing it, I will just chime in that the press frequently acts like an infatuated teenage girl (or woman). If you cross one, they will throw their own goals aside, in this case a D CiC, to spite whoever has crossed them.

Spirit of 1776 on July 24, 2008 at 7:10 PM

Have the press talked to the *fist*pump* trainer yet?

ninjapirate on July 24, 2008 at 7:10 PM

I tell you, he is way too controlled by his campaign

The way he has run his campaign is like, in my opinion, Huckabee-Rollins. Rollins did the dirty word, and Huck quipped about grace. Obama quips about hope and change while his campaign runs the Chicago ground game.

Spirit of 1776 on July 24, 2008 at 7:11 PM

They better or Jesse Jackson will CUT THEM OFF! >:D

Chakra Hammer on July 24, 2008 at 7:12 PM

The man behind the curtain is a child.

fogw on July 24, 2008 at 7:13 PM

How was Barack accepted to Harvard, when in his book he admits that his high School days were a “daze” because he did so many drugs, he did drugs “enthusiastically.”

So, he got special treatment..

Chakra Hammer on July 24, 2008 at 7:14 PM

“So they have to be protective of the crown jewels.”

That’s what he said. Rev. Jackson, call your office.

Lee on July 24, 2008 at 7:15 PM

SoCalInfidel on July 24, 2008 at 7:04 PM

How about………….. False Prophet?

Seven Percent Solution on July 24, 2008 at 7:15 PM

Have the press talked to the *fist*pump* trainer yet?
ninjapirate on July 24, 2008 at 7:10 PM

That;s funny. One comment before a commercial break and all of liberaldom is wetting their pants in outrage. Too funny.

You’d think that the same people who brought you “Bush is Hitler” would be able to take one ounce of the tonnes that they unloaded on republicans with stride. But apparently not.

wise_man on July 24, 2008 at 7:15 PM

I’m a broken record, I know; but, this is all typical Chicago politics.

Pols, here, are loathe to actually interact with people, off script, and are moreso to address anything, directly (and when forced, let the stammering begin).

Additionally, the political arrogance of these people is beyond the pale.

And yeah .. Axelrod’s pulling all of the strings.

yo on July 24, 2008 at 7:16 PM

I wonder if the National Enquirer is on this. They supposedly pay for info. And their lawyers make sure everything they print can be backed up with evidence.

NE sometimes has a great sense of timing, too. They broke the Rev. Jesse love child scandal just before Jesse was going to lead a big protest in FL over the recount.

Hard to think that Hillary doesn’t have oppo researchers still digging, but she missed the whole Rev. Wright matter.

Wethal on July 24, 2008 at 7:16 PM

Keep poking `til he blows his top, I`d love to see that.

ThePrez on July 24, 2008 at 7:18 PM

What we’re getting is the controlled and packaged narrative of Obama’s life? Really? Now I’m concerned about what the real story is, because the one we’re getting is bad enough. I find very little to admire or inspire in his life story or the people who have surrounded him throughout his life.

aero on July 24, 2008 at 7:18 PM

It’s like there’s a Vast Right-Wing Conspiracy out there.

Rhinoboy on July 24, 2008 at 7:24 PM

Spirit

I thought of the same comparison… glad I’m not in the wilderness with my suspicions.

MNDavenotPC on July 24, 2008 at 7:25 PM

I tell you, he is way too controlled by his campaign..
SoCalInfidel on July 24, 2008 at 7:04 PM

But what’s left if you take the campaign narrative out of the picture? The Obama is running almost exclusively on the merits of the Obama campaign. Take away the carefully packaged and controlled image they’ve built, and you’re left with an unaccomplished, underexperienced Senator who’s greatest works consist of two books written about his favorite subject: Barack Obama.

Hollowpoint on July 24, 2008 at 7:30 PM

Given all the details we know about celebrities and their lives it’s fair that we should know a future president’s dirty laundry too. Let the people decide with truth in labeling.

Mojave Mark on July 24, 2008 at 7:32 PM

MNDavenotPC on July 24, 2008 at 7:25 PM

Yeah, by the end Huck had earned the contempt of a lot of conservatives. I don’t know if that is possible with liberals, but I think the same effect may happen among indies.

Spirit of 1776 on July 24, 2008 at 7:33 PM

Looks like the spark may have gone from the romance, and the tingle from the leg.

Obama is a rooke who doesn’t seem to realize how fast the media can turn on you. They expect a certain deference and access.

It will be interesting to see how the press’ liberal leanings and desire for Obama’s election conflict with the media’s desire to get a big scoop.

Wethal on July 24, 2008 at 7:33 PM

Obama has never released his medical records. All he gave was a 1-2 page summary by his doctor.

Wethal on July 24, 2008 at 7:34 PM

aero on July 24, 2008 at 7:18 PM

But don’t you admire the “nuanced” way they tell the story? Barry O’s father — a lying, drunken, irresponsible, womanizer leaves behind his pregnant wife and child in Kenya to come to America for a free education. While here, he seduces several women (including Barry O’s gullible teenage mother, whom he impregnates and bigamously “marries”), then abandons his baby so he can return to Kenya and try to advance Communism (and continue drinking, womanizing and behaving irresponsibly). He dies a broken man (literally — he lost his legs in one of his several drunk driving accidents), leaving behind several women and 10 children he failed to provide for. But in Barry O’s narrative, this pathetic lout of a man somehow gets depicted as a heroic champion of racial justice and the embodiment of the American dream.

To borrow a phrase from Paul Harvey, it sort of makes one wonder about “the rest of the story.”

AZCoyote on July 24, 2008 at 7:40 PM

mac will get under barack’s skin in the debates, just like he got to romney. hell, i was a romney supporter and he got under my skin. it’ll be fun to watch the messiah’s face turn crimson and steam emit from his ears during those match ups. he stammers like crazy when he’s flumoxed and cornered. i cannot wait.

DrW on July 24, 2008 at 7:41 PM

AZ
well, IMHO… should all this be true…. seems to me that it should given a bright light.

MNDavenotPC on July 24, 2008 at 7:42 PM

Poking around in the lives of Chicago politicians can result in a much shorter life span. And not for the politician.

Buford Gooch on July 24, 2008 at 7:44 PM

So, he got special treatment..
Chakra Hammer on July 24, 2008 at 7:14 PM

So are you saying McCain gets things wrong because of the bangs on his head he got during his Viet Nam captivity while Obama gets things wrong because of the bongs in his head he got during his high school years?

Dr. Charles G. Waugh on July 24, 2008 at 7:46 PM

Wethal on July 24, 2008 at 7:34 PM

Exactly. It’s stuff like that that leaves a bad taste in one’s mouth. Just like the birth certificate — if he’d just release the full story himself, immediately when asked, these things wouldn’t turn into such big speculative stories. Same with Michelle O’s thesis, his school records, the health records, and so on. Now there appears to be a reason to go track down his college buddies and wring a story out of them since Barry’s being opaque again.

aero on July 24, 2008 at 7:46 PM

The article is a hit piece,and I think,the Lib MSM,
are now a little worried,as in oh my gawd,what have
done,what have we created!

I’m sure the Liberal press likes constructive criticism
but,Obama is cleary acting as if this election has al-
ready been won!

Right from the word go,when,a la Bill Clinton finger
pointing,less finger tho,Obama literaly warned,back-
off my wife!

And now,the Lefty media,who have been in the tank from
the get go,aren’t to thrilled to tow the line,the Obama
line if you will!

The media created Barack,and the media has a choice,tow
the line,shut the h#ll up,or destroy,thru the media and
slew the political monster they created!————:)

canopfor on July 24, 2008 at 7:48 PM

MNDavenotPC on July 24, 2008 at 7:42 PM

It’s all on Wikipedia for the world to see. I would imagine that Obama’s people keep constant tabs on Wiki for accuracy. I sure would. So I’m inclinded to believe the info on Barack, Sr., is true.

aero on July 24, 2008 at 7:49 PM

Anyone who questions the Obamassiah is just plain racist!

GarandFan on July 24, 2008 at 7:51 PM

Hopefully someone with actual Photoshop skills will take on a labor of love and create a version of the Platters ‘The Great Pretender’ sung by the Big O. The lyrics read like they are autobiographical, even thou they were written in 1955.

The Great Pretender

Lyrics: Buck Ram
Music: Buck Ram

Oh yes, I’m the great pretender
Pretending that I’m doing well
My need is such I pretend too much
I’m lonely but no one can tell

Oh yes, I’m the great pretender
Adrift in a world of my own
I play the game but to my real shame
You left me to dream all alone

Too real is this feeling of make believe

Oh, yes, I’m the great pretender
Just laughing and gay like a clown
I seem to be what I’m not, you see
I’m wearing my heart like a crown
Pretending that your still around

meci on July 24, 2008 at 7:53 PM

He rose from nothing, burst upon us from nowhere, guards his past like a Stephen King mystery……for sure there is a story there hiding in the dark. Dick Nixon was secretive? Nah, he’s got nothing on this guy!

dustoffmom on July 24, 2008 at 7:55 PM

“Anything can happen.”
–Hillary Clinton

davidk on July 24, 2008 at 7:57 PM

Right from the word go, when, a la Bill Clinton finger pointing, less finger tho, Obama literaly warned,back-off my wife!

canopfor on July 24, 2008 at 7:48 PM

If I was Obama, I, too, would warn Bill Clinton to back off my wife.

Dr. Charles G. Waugh on July 24, 2008 at 7:59 PM

Anything can happen.”
–Hillary Clinton

davidk on July 24, 2008 at 7:57 PM

OMG, I can’t believe I am going to type this……but sheesh, I sure hope the Clintons have something up their sleeves here! Come on Hill and Bill….for god’s sake, DO SOMETHING!!

;-D

dustoffmom on July 24, 2008 at 8:01 PM

AllahPundit

Let’s see, here:

Mom and grandpa were communists,
Pot and coke in college (and out?),
Ayers/Dohrn and other domestic terrorists,
crazy black racists at Trinity,
the still-unappreciated story about Obama killing the bill in the Illinois Senate (Born Alive Infants) because crazy Uncle Jeremiah sits on the board of the hospital where they put babies on a shelf to die (this one is a classic).

Gotta be some other fun stuff.

Jaibones on July 24, 2008 at 8:04 PM

The reason that time on the job is so important. Even with McCain being around for decades, questions are still asked. So what do you expect for someone who has been in the public less then 5 years?
WE DON’T KNOW HIM…but we get a sense.

right2bright on July 24, 2008 at 8:08 PM

DrW on July 24, 2008 at 7:41 PM

You are correct, but don’t hold your breath…Obama will not meet one on one with McCain. It will be very controlled, very.

right2bright on July 24, 2008 at 8:10 PM

So, he got special treatment..

Chakra Hammer on July 24, 2008 at 7:14 PM

Today has to be some of the best posts in the various strings, ever posted.
If only the MSM would ask some of these…but alas, it is only for our eyes…

right2bright on July 24, 2008 at 8:11 PM

I recall Kerry wouldn’t release his Yale grades during the campaign? Turned out his GPA was lower than Bush’s (though not by much).

This would have belied the pseudo-intellectual pose Kerry had been putting on since his “Jinjis Khan” perjury in front of the Senate.

Wethal on July 24, 2008 at 8:11 PM

I find myself have hoping that Hillary will uncover some terrible Obama scandal on the eve of the convention…

Jay Mac on July 24, 2008 at 8:12 PM

Jaibones on July 24, 2008 at 8:04 PM

Don’t forget the ever-popular Tony Rezko….

BTW – (and not really O/T in my view) – Since The Messiah appeared to His flock in an Obama-painted campaign plane, put campaign posters up on the Wailing Wall, sent out solicitation letters to the Faithful after his “as a senator” speech in Berlin, why the hell are we paying for his trip?

Just asking…maybe I missed it when the other senators spoke.

MrScribbler on July 24, 2008 at 8:15 PM

And yeah .. Axelrod’s pulling all of the strings.

yo on July 24, 2008 at 7:16 PM

And who’s behind Axelrod? Soros? Ayers?

MrLynn on July 24, 2008 at 8:23 PM

Change Barack Obama to Bill Clinton and change 2008 to 1992 and TNR could have (and possibly did) write the same story. The thing is while the big media reps may grumble in private about limited access, controlled messages and bogus biographical information, at least 90 percent of their are never going to do anything about it — at worst, they might fantasize during their more frustrating moments that Obama is a Republican and they could lay the hammer down on him with no qualms, but that’s about it. Any behind-the-scenes stories about the campaign’s flaws and fibs will either have to wait until after the November election, 2013 or 2017 before they’ll ever see the light of day.

jon1979 on July 24, 2008 at 8:26 PM

The key is his medical records. That’s where it will show they have finally perfected the implant after the depressing failures with Kucinich, Murtha, Reid, Pelosi …

Dusty on July 24, 2008 at 8:39 PM

Jay Mac on July 24, 2008 at 8:12 PM

I KNOW no one here thinks that Hillary is quietly and contentedly keeping her nose to the grindstone in her senator’s office without something else going on. She has something up her sleeve. It may be on the eve of the convention or it may not, but she wants him to lose. Oh does she. And what Her Majesty wants, Her Majesty gets. Or else.

inviolet on July 24, 2008 at 8:45 PM

hmmn..he’s hiding something.

becki51758 on July 24, 2008 at 8:54 PM

One characteristic of people who are idiots but just clever enough to know they are way out of their league is to get secretive and unable to admit any mistakes.

So we have this arrogant campaign, the droolers in Germany (look, a US version of a European socialist!) and even Katie Couric cannot make any sense of what he really thinks about the Surge. She will had no choice but to bore in, keep pushing or it would have been too obvious she was failing to do her job in even the most cursory manner, given his responses.

I wonder if these clowns really are scared to death the curtain might be pulled…to behold a couple of children who failed to mature emotionally or intellectually since college or even high school. Oh the words and oratory (when scripted) are high and mighty, but off-script, the ignorant self-approval is hard to cover up, leading to stammers, poor word selection and backtracks.

Narcissim is a deadly disease when combined with second tier talents. Really talented narcissists can get away with it for some time, but in the end it swallows them. The less talented lose out sooner.

Perhaps in this case not soon enough, but it will happen if I am right. Um, big chance I am not but I know someone, a narcissistic sociopath…she did a lot of things Obama does, particularly the “I love everyone and it is just for your good that I am doing this…” hoax.

Ugh.

Harry Schell on July 24, 2008 at 9:00 PM

Obama’s “senior thesis” or term paper?

bnelson44 on July 24, 2008 at 9:01 PM

What are the possible issues in Obama’s personal life?

Bimbos ala Clinton. It happens. Both parties. Power = aphrodisiacs. Not saying it’s true, but it could be possible. Obama like Clinton and Edwards is arrogant enough for it to be possible.

Ties to Farrakhan. No one gets elected in South Side Chicago without his OK.

Various personal ties to terrorists and/or hard-left lunatics. Both of which characterize South Side Chicago politics.

There’s likely a good reason for the fear, and probably something the the staff has seen first hand and is afraid of. Don’t forget, Obama has a HUGE staff and probably sees/hears things that they know would be poison to the general public.

whiskey_199 on July 24, 2008 at 9:02 PM

I am unable to tell the difference between the “Obama Beat” and Tiger Beat. Though I suspect Tiger Beat is less pre-teen-girlishly infatuated.

TABoLK on July 24, 2008 at 9:07 PM

Jeremiah Wright, Tony Rezko, Bill Ayers, what else might Barry O be hiding in his Chi-town mansion bought for a bargain? Rezko borrowed a lot of money from a certain friend-of-Saddam named Auchi, then went bankrupt, and Auchi lent Rezko more millions, throwing good money after bad. Why? Maybe somebody might want to ask him.

There was an article in that right-wing bastion called the Boston Globe (/sarc) about Obama funneling Illinois state money to private developers (including Rezko) to build low-income tenements, which promptly fell into rat-infested disrepair and were condemned by building inspectors. The developers got rich and gave generously to Obama’s campaigns.

Oh, and Obama was a “community organizer”(TM) singing praises to the Lord in the church of the prophet Jeremiah. Maybe somebody could interview people in those organized communities and see how they feel about Obama.

Have at it, guys, before President Obama gives all his Chicago buddies a pardon.

Steve Z on July 24, 2008 at 9:08 PM

Let’s see….

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm…..

If you were an illegitimate, drug-using, Marxist-Muslim, practicing “Taqiyah”; who was probably not even born in the US, who hung out in Al Qaeda Training camps during your college sojurn to Pakistan, who hung out with Anti-American/Pro-Jihadi/Anti-White/Anti-Semitic racist and radical “friends”, classmates, professors, and “mentors”, at every turn; who married a Racist, Radical, Anti-White/Anti-American whiny Prima Donna; who entered “Politics” thru the patronage of Communists, Marxists, Racists, Anti-American Hippies, and the corrupt Chicago Political machine as well as being “made” by Louis Farrakhan of the Nation of Islam; IF you had all that in YOUR background, as a potential US Presidental Candidate; wouldn’t YOU want to keep people from poking around in your background, as well????

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm??

Dale in Atlanta on July 24, 2008 at 9:15 PM

CHICAGO ANNENBERG CHALLENGE
CHICAGO ANNENBERG CHALLENGE
CHICAGO ANNENBERG CHALLENGE
CHICAGO ANNENBERG CHALLENGE
CHICAGO ANNENBERG CHALLENGE

Got it????

galtg on July 24, 2008 at 9:16 PM

Gee, ya think? Maybe the first clue in the “narrative” is in the first chapter of his bio/memoir/novel — where his family arrives in Hawaii in 1959, but their daughter (his mother) didn’t graduate from the Seattle/Mercer Island high school until 1960, according to the HS yearbook.

And then there’s, oh, the 3 colleges/universities he attended, and was a golly-gee wonderful, fantastic, brilliant student — even graduating Phi Beta Kappa from Harvard — but, um, no, he won’t release the transcripts or thesis.

And in between, there’s a vacation to the mainland, in the “summer before I was eleven” (1972 by usual calculation standards) where they watched the Watergate hearings (1973) every night in their motel. And “14 years later” by Barack time (which normally would be 1986 or 87)), he moves to Chicago. But, um, no, he began that nifty “community organizer” job in 1985.

So maybe, just maybe, the nifty narrative is full of holes, and the guy’s either an idiot savant, delusional or something — a whole lot of something — less than truthful.

Nichevo on July 24, 2008 at 9:20 PM

What are the possible issues in Obama’s personal life?

whiskey_199 on July 24, 2008 at 9:02 PM

Let’s see:

There’s the ongoing issue of his birth certificate – why not just release it and end that kerfuffle?

His medical records – why not release them? What’s embarassing? Hemorrhoids won’t keep you out of the White House. More on his drug use? An STD, maybe? Unacknowledged major health problem (heart)?

Senior paper in college (Columbia didn’t do “theses” back then). Lefty rant on unilateral nuclear disarmament?

Telling friends to keep quiet. Boozing, romantic entanglements, plagiarism/cheating (this didn’t stop Teddy)? Hey, what are student years for, anyway? More likely arrogant statements about how he’s going to Chicago, pretend to be community organizer (doesn’t give a rodent’s posterior about “the people”), join politically connected church (denomination of no concern), etc. so he can advance political career?

He could get away with a lot of misspent youth (he has admitted the drugs). But a recent financial misdealing or medical problem would sink him.

The problem with a big staff is that just one disillusioned staffer who realizes the Obamessiah Obameister doesn’t walk on water can leak something. Hillary was very good at keeping a small, loyal staff, although one wonders what Patti Solis Doyle has been telling Obama.

Wethal on July 24, 2008 at 9:26 PM

Nichevo: they are not “bio’s” nor “memoirs”; they are works of Fiction!

in addition to the ones you pointed out:

his father supposedly being picked by President Kennedy to come to the US for a special program, 2 years before it happened…

his rememberance of Martin Luther’s “I had a Dream Speech”; while he was 4 years old….

how “The March on Selma, Alabama”, brought his parents together; while his mother was already Pregnant!

Ad naseum…

Dale in Atlanta on July 24, 2008 at 9:28 PM

Claiming to have worked his way through college and law school, when he only had two summer jobs the whole time…

Wethal on July 24, 2008 at 9:35 PM

it’s be nice if someone had a list of these somewhere; I’ve not seen the ones that Nichevo posted before…

Dale in Atlanta on July 24, 2008 at 9:37 PM

AZCoyote on July 24, 2008 at 7:40 PM

According to Michelle Obama, Obama’s Mom and Dad were not Married when he was born..

Today’s audience was also made up of almost all women, but the crowd in the more affluent university area was more mixed. Participants mentioned college-loan payments and day-care fees as monthly costs that drive them to scrimp and cut corners.

Obama used the roundtable audience, as she did yesterday, to describe her husband’s understanding of women’s issues through the prism of the strong — but sometimes struggling — women in his life.

His own mother, she said at the beginning of her remarks, was “very young and very single when she had him.” And, Obama added, he has observed his wife’s attempts to reconcile motherhood with her career aspirations.

Chakra Hammer on July 24, 2008 at 9:42 PM

Well: Let’s look at what we know about Hill and Bill:

(1) They bear grudges, of this there can be no doubt.

(2) Hillary’s failure to get the nomination is a betrayal of the Clintons (certainly in their view) which can be attributed to many people, key of course being BHO.

(3) Hillary will never stop wanting to be president, and will take every possible calculus into consideration toward that end.

(4) There is nothing, I repeat NOTHING in an Obama win for Hill and Bill. NOTHING. Another Democrat taking the White House is meaningless to Hillary. If she can’t have it, she’d rather Obama not.

(5) October surprise can mean many things. At that time, there may be more “reaching across the aisle” going on, than just John McCain looking to get his hand bit…again. Hillary may be reaching across the aisle in aid of her good friend…

seanrobins on July 24, 2008 at 9:47 PM

Emboldened? Oh sure. They will weigh their duty to the Democratic Party against any silly impulse to put their jobs at risk and actually attempt to inform the public, and their duty to the Dems will win.

They have ethics you know, and we should not ask journalists to violate them just for our sake! That’s just crazy talk.

drunyan8315 on July 24, 2008 at 9:55 PM

This will all be meaningless when he’s shot at the gas station.

Alden Pyle on July 24, 2008 at 10:15 PM

Terrified of what?

Illegitimate children?
Bimbo eruptions?
Drug dealers?
Flag burners?
All of the above?

roninacreage on July 24, 2008 at 10:56 PM

[Alden Pyle on July 24, 2008 at 10:15 PM]

You mean the one at the Denver Department of Public Works?

Dusty on July 24, 2008 at 11:01 PM

Has anyone yet started a website that maps out Obama’s life? Mapping out everything we know, might be a good start to finding holes in his story and where to look.

Dusty on July 24, 2008 at 11:04 PM

The ‘Manchurian Candidate’ meets ‘Being There’ meets the rotten spirit and rotting corpse of Dick Nixon.

ugly stuff………..

Janos Hunyadi on July 24, 2008 at 11:45 PM

Read this NBC “Deep Background” piece about Obama’s “senior thesis” at Columbia on Soviet nuclear disarmament. Sounds innocent enough — until you learn that his spokesman won’t even discuss what happened to Obama’s copy of it. Sounds innocent enough — until you learn that his spokesman won’t even discuss what happened to Obama’s copy of it.

They hid it the one place the press will never look: Rielle Hunter’s house.

Jim Treacher on July 24, 2008 at 11:56 PM

If I was one of those classmates, I’d be kind of nervous. Wonder if anyone has met with an “untimely” end?
/Kind of sarc but maybe not?

mrsmwp on July 25, 2008 at 12:51 AM

I think if his staff is “terrified” of people poking around in Obama’s life it must be something that they witness on a day to day basis.

None of them are likely to go poking around inconvenient things in Obama’s record any more than I, a Romney supporter, wished to go poking around Mitt’s life. I already knew I supported him, that was good enough for me.

It must be something they SEE on a regular basis.

Either talk that Obama makes free with in the privacy away from the Press, or things that would make his campaign crater. To me that screams if not talk, people Obama is associated with. It could be a drug supplier, mistress, a male (Larry Craig style) “pal” or things along that line.

Simply a Rezko type bagman could be dismissed with “that’s not the Mob I knew!” or words to that effect. That would not induce terror. Drugs, however, would be fatal to his campaign and the ambitions of people associated with it who have sacrificed time, money, careers to bet on Obama. Probably far more than a mistress which at this point is probably irrelevant to most people (post Clinton). I see no evidence of Obama being gay, he’s admitted to using drugs as a youth, and has a punishing schedule and is conveniently thin.

I’m not saying Obama’s on drugs, but drug use is awfully hard to hide from a staff, though a press corps determined not to notice can ignore it as they did with JFK. If it IS something along those lines (mistress, boyfriend, drugs) then the campaign quite literally CANNOT afford to fire anyone or tick off staffers with access on a regular basis to the candidate.

If you FORCED me to lay bets, you’d have to force me … but I’d bet on drugs. [I don't think a serious health-heart problem would be fatal the campaign, it might garner the natural sympathy people all have for the sick. When Clinton was sick I wished him well, sincerely.]

whiskey_199 on July 25, 2008 at 12:57 AM

If you were an illegitimate, drug-using, Marxist-Muslim, practicing “Taqiyah”; who was probably not even born in the US, who hung out in Al Qaeda Training camps during your college sojurn to Pakistan . . .

Dale in Atlanta on July 24, 2008 at 9:15 PM

Do you have evidence of this? If so, let’s see it!

MrLynn on July 25, 2008 at 7:11 AM

* Speeches in stadiums filled with mesmerized, adoring audiences – Check
* An uninspiring background before meteoric rise – Check
* Creates his own new symbols of power – Check
* Associates with racists, hatemongers and violent radicals – Check
* A propaganda machine willing to show him only in the best possible light – Check
* Uses, “glorious leader” style Agitprop posters common in totalitarian nations – Check (see German campaign poster for example)
* Wants Secret Police force – Check
* Somebody powerful people think they can control – Check
* Often dismissed as a light-weight by his opponents – Check
* Seeks to replace God with the State – Check
* People adopting his name as their own – Check
* Inspires adoration art – Check
* Appropriates symbols of past German glory – Check
* Never plans on giving up power – Check (Obama to be president for the next “eight to 10 years”)
* A narcissistic megalomaniac – Check
* Brazenly Takes credit for other people’s accomplishments – Check
* Wants to build “youth” movement through State service – Check
* Acts as if in power before he is – Check
* Some followers believe him to be divine – Check
* Worshiped and aided greatly by the media – Check

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” — Santayana

byteshredder on July 25, 2008 at 11:26 AM