Christ appears in Berlin, uses lots of “wall” metaphors; Update: “Goonies” video added

posted at 3:02 pm on July 24, 2008 by Allahpundit

As prepared for delivery in the capital city of an enemy that couldn’t be negotiated with, behold the text of what I’m calling the greatest speech since whatever the last Obama speech was that the media declared was the greatest speech ever. As Hitchens once said about the since partly retracted Great Peroration on Race, for a supposed rhetorical genius, Barry never actually delivers any memorable lines, does he? It’s the circumstances of his speeches that make them “memorable.” The best he can do by way of takeaways is Zen pap like “Yes, we can” or “We are the ones we’ve been waiting for” or today’s latest mindless positive affirmation, “This is our moment, this is our time.” Here’s my own favorite line, seemingly plucked from one of Jerry Springer’s concluding Thought for the Day segments:

True partnership and true progress requires constant work and sustained sacrifice.

How true that is. But perhaps not as true as:

The road ahead will be long.

For extra fun, try adding “in bed” to the end of each of his sentences. As petty as McCain’s attacks lately on Obama’s popularity have been, I sympathize with his emperor’s-new-clothes predicament on this point. It’s one thing for the media to politely ignore that this crap is cliche and an inch deep, but to actually celebrate it as evidence of eloquence? If the donation ratio is 100 to 1 now, imagine what it would be if you treated that as an in-kind contribution.

There’s one worthwhile paragraph, so let me quote it in the interests of fairness. Obama still hasn’t gotten the memo yet that his base isn’t as keen on an Afghan adventure as he claims to be, and doubtless no such memo will be forthcoming until the election’s safely won. Quote:

This is the moment when we must renew our resolve to rout the terrorists who threaten our security in Afghanistan, and the traffickers who sell drugs on your streets. No one welcomes war. I recognize the enormous difficulties in Afghanistan. But my country and yours have a stake in seeing that NATO’s first mission beyond Europe’s borders is a success. For the people of Afghanistan, and for our shared security, the work must be done. America cannot do this alone. The Afghan people need our troops and your troops; our support and your support to defeat the Taliban and al Qaeda, to develop their economy, and to help them rebuild their nation. We have too much at stake to turn back now.

As hackneyed a formulation as that is, the sentiment makes it as close to a memorable line as you’ll find here. Speaking of memorable lines, your exit question: Did anyone else pick up on the allusion in “Now the world will watch and remember what we do here — what we do with this moment”? Here’s a hint: The guy he’s paraphrasing, who really was a great orator, wasn’t as presumptuous in his own formulation of that thought.

Update: A reader e-mails to suggest this companion video from the annals of Great Vapid Rallying Cries. It is indeed our time down here, Mikey.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Barry “Honest Obi-wan” Obumbles orates:

Four scores and the seven dwarfs ago, our four mothers joined together, on a wall of hope, to change the future from the past, where communists could lie down with lambs, oh, yes we can! And, so, lift your spirits like air, all of us, restoring America’s pretige in the world, where I say, can’t we all just get along ?”

profitsbeard on July 24, 2008 at 8:28 PM

Weltmeister

Entelechy on July 25, 2008 at 1:58 AM

“Fellow citizen of the world”?

Hmm, that sounds familiar, too.

And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country.

My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.

Finally, whether you are citizens of America or citizens of the world, ask of us the same high standards of strength and sacrifice which we ask of you.

At least JFK waited till he actually WAS president to say that.

JimC on July 25, 2008 at 3:12 AM

Oh gawd the Goonies thing was awesome!

scottm on July 25, 2008 at 7:23 AM

Just like bOzObamarx, tOtalitarian dictatOr Of der Welt alOng with all the wOrld’s elite citizens, gOvernance is required priOr tO the existence Of any citizenship!

Hands down Fred Thompson nailed Obama’s head as intellectually fraudulent.

OF ALL FEASIBLE WANNABE POTUS NOMINEES, the half black Obama refuses to acknowledge Abraham Lincoln when thieving his quote. Obamarx will rationalize it two ways; that it was Obama’s before it was Lincoln’s idea (chronology always begins with Obama now), and that Obama will use the idea BETTER than Lincoln ever did or would have.

As though illegal immigration wasn’t already a wild fire, the Obamarx would dismiss it as just another rightwing hoax accompanying such trivial and antiquated concepts contained in our US citizens’ CONSTITUTION. Do recall that Pres.Wilson ranted that way to become the world’s premier marxist totalitarian.

maverick muse on July 25, 2008 at 7:30 AM

The Goonies clip just made it much better. :D

ScoopPC11 on July 25, 2008 at 7:34 AM

Thanks for the link, Allahpundit.

Lincoln’s cause was the Union of the United States of America.

Obama’s cause is the dissolution of the United States of America.

That Obama would misuse Lincoln’s quote in order to destroy the very thing that mattered most to all great Americans from George Washington to Lincoln proves what a low down contemptable fraud of a POTUS candidate Obama is.

Obamarx ’08
Totalitarian Dictator of the World

Give me your masses yearning to be free that I may abuse them further.–DNC Immigration Platform

maverick muse on July 25, 2008 at 7:37 AM

Weltkaiser

maverick muse on July 25, 2008 at 7:40 AM

This past year, Obama spoke to his black supremacist church’s generation of youth rallying as Joshua preparing them to attack Jericho.

And the walls come tumbling down.

maverick muse on July 25, 2008 at 7:45 AM

The Euros threw christianity under the bus a long time ago so I don’t think the second coming will have any lasting effect.

Annar on July 25, 2008 at 7:45 AM

He had rock bands opening up for him again. Although I’m sure he would have gotten a big crowd without the warm-up acts this time, I’m not so sure he would have when John Mellencamp opened for him in Evansville, IN a couple months back. Either way, the media never seems to mention that he has free rock show leading in to his grand speeches, and they report the crowd numbers as if Obama were the only draw.

forest on July 25, 2008 at 8:20 AM

It’s just too much!! Too much! His going over there and acting as if he speaks for the American people when he hasn’t even been elected. Just who does he think he is!!!

jeanie on July 25, 2008 at 8:31 AM

Okay, Somebody Had To Say It — Was Obama Orating Or Watching Wimbledon?

Video seven head flips in 26 seconds…9 in 39

. Looked like a tennis match!
David

LifeTrek on July 25, 2008 at 8:55 AM

Obama’s overlords are running a surreal campaign.

Affirmative action will be his ploy if his ineligibility is finally established.

Obama refuses his onus to produce his unaltered certificate of live birth.

Which of you would take a photocopy of your birth certificate with alterations and information blacked out and expect any government or legitimate business or agency to accept it to provide your identity absolute legal documentation? Which of you has handed a falsified driver’s license with the number blacked out to prove your identity to a police officer and expected immunity from prosecution for doing so?

maverick muse on July 25, 2008 at 9:16 AM

LifeTrek on July 25, 2008 at 8:55 AM

I think one his handlers told him: No staring straight forward. No wild arm swinging. No glowering. No heart clutching. No fist shaking. No pointing, hatchet, or throat-slash motions with hands. No leaning back with arms crossed and smug look on face. etc.

All he was left with was looking side to side over and over.

forest on July 25, 2008 at 9:27 AM

I know you have to goof on the guy but could you not avoid offending Christians with the

Christ

allegories.

pabarge on July 25, 2008 at 9:54 AM

It is my understanding that, while in Palestine, Obama visited the place of his birth in Nazareth. When reporters asks about his being born in a stable, the Messiah commented, “My pregnant mother did not have health-care so my father went to secure a room at the local hotel; only to be told that they didn’t rent rooms to Ethiopian Jews!”

Oy veyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!

Dread Pirate Roberts VI on July 25, 2008 at 10:00 AM

pagarbage:

Christ is the English term for the Greek Χριστός (Khristós) meaning “the anointed”.[1] In the (Greek) Septuagint version of the Old Testament, Khristós was used to translate the Hebrew מָשִׁיחַ (Mašíaḥ,) (Messiah), meaning “[one who is] anointed.”

Obama is the “annointed” one!

Dread Pirate Roberts VI on July 25, 2008 at 10:03 AM

Sorry! “pabarge” My bad!!!

Dread Pirate Roberts VI on July 25, 2008 at 10:03 AM

Gerard Baker, thank you!

British humor at its best.

maverick muse on July 25, 2008 at 10:15 AM

I’ll tell you after eight years of watching spineless Dems get squashed by Rove in the “national dialogue” it is rather surreal to see a Dem kicking the tar out of somebody who in 2000 would have been president in a landslide. McCain is sad, and he is bringing back the a-hole routine that almost cost him New Hampshire in the primary, Mitt was gaining but then Juan cut it out and went back to the “I love service” with the chicken wing and all. His handlers don’t deserve their title, of course the candidate is problematic as well.

I’ll tell you. Obama in the end, and after he gets more seasoned, could end up being a better politician than Clinton. He is smooth, speaks well, but doesn’t get as petty as Clinton, at least up to this moment. Clinton made Republicans angry, but Obama is making them rabid and irrational, whining about respect for the office of the Presidency and such, superficial nonsense. If the Republican herd cared so much about that they would elect conservative candidates instead of this constant train of embarrassments. Bush I, Dole, Bush the lesser, McCain, I mean really give me a break guys. And everyone, except Machiavelli’s fool, is old as dirt, which goes over just swimmingly with the electorate. Less Rockefeller corpses and more limited government folks.

LevStrauss on July 25, 2008 at 10:15 AM

Hey, I liked that little kid in the clip more than Obama’s speech in Berlin. He was more likable and believable.

Amy Proctor on July 25, 2008 at 10:17 AM

I do see the Obama-Christ connection. They are two potentially great speakers whose narratives are greatly exaggerated.

LevStrauss on July 25, 2008 at 10:25 AM

The second we ride up Barry’s bucket…

sabbott on July 25, 2008 at 10:32 AM

Ich bin ein beginner…

F’ing rookie!

ynot4tony2 on July 25, 2008 at 10:55 AM

Amy Proctor on July 25, 2008 at 10:17 AM

That’s not just any little kid. He grows up to be Samwise Gamgee. I was really hoping for a Sloth clip from the Goonies…his scene with Chunk and the Baby Ruth is priceless. Call Chunk’s screaming GOP reaction to that speech.

austinnelly on July 25, 2008 at 11:06 AM

The King of the World has to get his money from

somewhere

Rhymes with dosialism.

Akzed on July 25, 2008 at 11:06 AM

Doh!

Akzed on July 25, 2008 at 11:07 AM

The road ahead will be long. – Obamessiah

Quotes like this one are necessary, so if after 4 years, not a thing has happened, or we’ve more likely gone backwards, he can just point back and say, “I said it wasn’t going to be easy, and you dolts find people elected me anyway”.

kirkill on July 25, 2008 at 11:35 AM

Christ Allah appears in Berlin, uses lots of “wall” metaphors; Update: “Goonies” video added

Fixed it.

kirkill on July 25, 2008 at 11:37 AM

If Americans are expected to learn and speak Spanish, shouldn’t he be expected to give speeches in German while in Germany?

Static on July 25, 2008 at 12:00 PM

I’ll tell you. Obama in the end, and after he gets more seasoned, could end up being a better politician than Clinton. He is smooth, speaks well, but doesn’t get as petty as Clinton, at least up to this moment. Clinton made Republicans angry, but Obama is making them rabid and irrational, whining about respect for the office of the Presidency and such, superficial nonsense. LevStrauss on July 25, 2008 at 10:15 AM

Are you on drugs?

Whoever wrote this speech Obama chose to read it. That is the one mystery of Berlin. Did Obama contribute to the vapid plagarisms and distortions of American traditions or did he accept it from a script writer in ignorance of the history. Was someone joking with this educated fool? or was he simply an educated fool?

Ayn Rand is making more sense every day in this election. I used to consider her over the top. Soros and Obama, Wright and Ayers, all perfect in the world of Ayn Rand. And the Ayn Rand press is playing the script better than the book.

entagor on July 25, 2008 at 12:00 PM

We are a people of improbable hope. Obama /Berlin

Here is a clue to the quality of this speech:

Hope is not improbable.

I searched the speech Obama gave for the word ‘God’ or ‘Creator’ as found in the Gettysburg address:

that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain — that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom — and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth A. Lincoln 06-01-1865

On the other hand Lincoln left out the part about ‘improbable hope’. probably because he relied upon God

A midget plagarizing from a giant

Citizens of the World, Team Obama brings you improbable hope to sustain you for all time

entagor on July 25, 2008 at 12:26 PM

I am truly sorry for making three posts in a row. This will be my last post here. However I have to ask:

Is Obama an educated Fool or an educated Tool?

entagor on July 25, 2008 at 12:30 PM

Barack o’Goonie?

right2bright on July 25, 2008 at 12:48 PM

Weltmensch

Entelechy on July 25, 2008 at 12:53 PM

Is Obama an educated Fool or an educated Tool?

entagor on July 25, 2008 at 12:30 PM

He is both a fool and a tool.

As for the three posts – no need to apologize. There’s no three-post rule (I think). If there was, MB4 would have been kicked out long ago. (Shssss. I’m whispering this. He’s not here now but if he hears me from another thread he’ll storm over here and all hell will break out.)

Rod on July 25, 2008 at 1:18 PM

“Lord—Protect my family and me,” reads the note published in the Maariv daily. “Forgive me my sins, and help me guard against pride and despair. Give me the wisdom to do what is right and just. And make me an instrument of your will.”

Obama’s Western Wall prayer.

It looks like the lord has his work cut out on the “guard against pride” issue.

Entelechy on July 25, 2008 at 1:20 PM

Christ appears in Berlin, uses lots of “wall” metaphors;

You mean the ANTI-CHRIST APPEARS IN BERLIN

byteshredder on July 25, 2008 at 1:47 PM

ya know, the only people who are claiming Obama is a “messiah” or “Christ” are pundits on the right. It’s a lame joke. Change the record, why don’tcha.

I have more after you’re done with these.
Esthier on July 24, 2008 at 3:52 PM

Googled “Obama and Jesus”

Results: 9,280,000

Rod on July 25, 2008 at 1:52 PM

I do draw a line when the next US Senator (like Harry Reid ‘the Undead’) demanding to speak in front of any foreign monument.

Sir Napsalot on July 25, 2008 at 3:25 PM

“This is our moment, this is our time.” -Agent Smith

Maquis on July 25, 2008 at 3:27 PM

For those of you who have castigated me here, for implying that his Holiness, Barack HUSSEIN Obama (PBUH)(SWT)(SAW), is a Marxist-Mulism, please feel free to check this out, and then start fitting the women folk in your extended family for Burqas!

Dale in Atlanta on July 25, 2008 at 3:31 PM

“We are a people of improbable hope,” -Hussein.

This is meaningless. All hope is improbably, isn’t it? As St. Paul said, “Why does a man hope for that which he can see?”

Also, to speak of “a people” is to differentiate them from other people or tribes. However, he was speaking as a (or the) representative of humanity, a citizen of the world, giving voice to the aspirations of all homo sapiens. So this use of the term “a people” is nonsensical unless intended to be divisive: to differentiate a people (his supporters) from other people.

This is why I treat him as a poor speaker, because a better speaker would have read and reread that speech critically, not only to make a better presentation but to see if it made sense. To speak gibberish eloquently is not to be a good speaker.

Akzed on July 25, 2008 at 4:00 PM

Dale in Atlanta on July 25, 2008 at 3:31 PM

No disagreement or castigating from me. Just a question. Isn’t this a link to issues and solution of Muslims for Obama and not Obama’s solution for Muslims? Has endorsed these? And if so, I sure would like to see a link to his endorsement.

Rod on July 25, 2008 at 4:13 PM

Sorry –

“Has he endorced these?”

Rod on July 25, 2008 at 4:14 PM

Rod: hi, you are correct; not sure if his endorsement of them, exists yet; considering their paranoia over the exploration of his family background; his campaign making the two girls in hijab getting off the stage at that one campaign event; his campaign telling reporters not to wear “green” on the trip to Israel; he’s not stupid enough to do that….yet.

Wait until he gets elected though…

Dale in Atlanta on July 25, 2008 at 4:16 PM

Wait until he gets elected though…

Dale in Atlanta on July 25, 2008 at 4:16 PM

Actually, I pray he never does. I have never been more concerned for the future of our county than I am now.

Rod on July 25, 2008 at 4:55 PM

I heard that Jesus was planning on coming back this week, but decided nobody would notice while B Ho was in Europe.

darwin-t on July 25, 2008 at 10:46 PM

I have several people that only get their Obama info from network news… I’d like to “put them wise”.

electric-rascal on July 25, 2008 at 11:27 PM

Entelechy on July 25, Weltmensch
2008 at 12:53 PM

Aber, was für ein Mensch ist er? Heilig?

Johan Klaus on July 25, 2008 at 11:53 PM

Dale in Atlanta on July 25, 2008 at 3:31 PM

I will not submit.

Johan Klaus on July 25, 2008 at 11:59 PM

LevStrauss on July 25, 2008 at 10:25 AM

Provocation without imagination leads to stagnation instead of indignation and exposes your mental masturbation.

Congratulations.

hillbillyjim on July 26, 2008 at 2:59 AM

Does anyone have a favorite website(s) that catalogs all of the current negatives about Obama the candidate? Something with some real facts, policies, and quotes, not just rancor. electric-rascal on July 25, 2008 at 11:27 PM

My favorite for that is HotAir. :-)

Mojave Mark on July 26, 2008 at 9:22 AM

“We are a people of improbable hope,” -Hussein

“Sir, you beclown yourself” -Ace

franksalterego on July 26, 2008 at 9:41 AM

The very FIRST line in an article in today’s UK Telegraph, about the new Prophet, Barack HUSSEIN Obama (PBUH)(SWT)(SAW):

In a magazine interview Obama and his wife Michelle revealed that one of their steadfast house rules is not giving Christmas or birthday presents to Malia, 10, and Sasha, seven.”

Interesting, isn’t it?

I wonder how many other normal households in the US have strict guidelines against both Christmas and Birthday presents?

Obviously Jewish households don’t celebrate Christmas, but they do celebrate Birthdays!

Hmmmmmmmm……..

Oh yeah, MUSLIMS don’t celebrate either Christmas NOR Birthdays!

Interesting, no?

Can you spell, “Taqiyah“???

Dale in Atlanta on July 26, 2008 at 4:09 PM

Obamamania and the Germans

I have paid particular attention to the German aspect of Barack Obama’s trip for many reasons. The spectacle of the Berlin speech struck me as grossly overdone in terms of location, the tone of the speech and the presence of 200,000 viewers. It would have been much more appropriate for a visiting American president than for a candidate-even one with Obama’s ego.

In light of Germany’s history, eyebrows have also been raised about the reaction of Germans to Obama’s presence. The sight of 200,000 Germans wildly cheering a charismatic and gifted speaker brings back troubling memories for many even if, as I would insist, this is a new Germany-not the Germany of the 1930s and 40s.

I have a personal connection to Germany. I first set foot on German soil in 1966 as a young American soldier. I spent two and a half years there, almost all of that period in Erlangen, a university town 20 kilometers from Nuremberg. In subsequent years, I became sort of an amateur scholar on the history of the Third Reich. Being greatly attached to Germany, I have returned countless times and eventually wrote a history of Erlangen a few years back. I freely admit that I am a Germanophile, and I think the Germans are basically a good and decent people. I also maintain that Germany, at least since the 1960s, has admirably met its responsibility to confront and acknowledge its past, much as we Americans have acknowledged our history of slavery and discrimination.

My reaction to the Obama appearance in Germany is a little different. I never expected for a second that the crowd was going to break out in “Sieg Heils”. My question is why Obama met with such an overwhelming reaction in Berlin.

During my last trip to Erlangen in June, I met with several friends and colleagues who are professional people in the university, education and politics. I also spoke at a local gymnasium English class. Everyone is interested in the American election. Yet, as much as the Germans are interested in America, I sense that their knowledge about our country, its people and institutions is rather superficial even for educated people. For example, everybody wanted to know about Obama, yet few had any knowledge about John McCain. Some were not even sure about his name. I sensed also that many of the people I spoke to had high expectations for what a President Obama would accomplish. Why is this? (For that matter, why do so many Americans have such an inflated image of this man-one not justified by his experience and accomplishments?) Is it because of the novelty of his ethnic background-or his youthful appearance-or his speaking ability?

Or is it that Germans look to Obama to end the war in Iraq, end all wars and bring peace to the world?

That is an aspect that deserves more attention. The Germans lost two disastrous world wars in the 20th century, each one bringing misery to the German nation and its people. The last one also brought international damnation upon Germany and a legacy that they are still trying to overcome. The last thing Germans want to see is another world war. That is understandable and should be respected.

While German pacifism is certainly understandable, I suspect they are forgetting one lesson of Hitler and the Nazi era. That I would call the lesson of Munich and Neville Chamberlain in 1938. There are certain people who cannot be negotiated with. In that category, I place people like Hitler and Islamic fanatics. They are fanatical and they are evil. During the Cold War, we could negotiate with the Soviets because, whatever they were, they were not irrational. The idea of mutual assured destruction was always in their minds. Today’s enemies, people like Al-Qaida, Ahmadinejad and Hezbollah, are not rational. They don’t care if the world goes up in flames. They don’t care if they die-as long as their version of Islam triumphs world-wide. What is there to negotiate? We can leave Iraq tomorrow, and our enemies will not lay down their arms. Furthermore, Germany and the rest of Europe are just as threatened as America.

Dennis Prager is an LA-based talk show host whom I respect greatly. He is a practicing Jew, who also says that the Germany of today has done an admirable job of acknowledging its past-much more so than some other countries who were on the wrong side of World War 2. Yet, in discussing the Germans and the Obama speech in Berlin, Prager made the point (and I am paraphrasing)that there is a vast difference between fighting evil and the notion that fighting is evil.

I think that is a point worthy of thought on both sides of the Atlantic.

gary fouse
fousesquawk

gary fouse on July 26, 2008 at 8:14 PM

Let’s fact check Obama

Connie on July 26, 2008 at 11:32 PM

Thanks Connie!!

electric-rascal on July 27, 2008 at 12:50 AM

Is it too soon to talk anti-Christ yet?

SunSword on July 27, 2008 at 9:49 AM