The HuffPo “investigation”: Ed Morrissey has an opinion!

posted at 7:45 am on July 23, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

It must be a slow news day at the Huffington Post.  Gabriel Beltrone “investigated” the McCain campaign’s press/blog conference calls, looking for evidence of bias.  Beltrone discovered that one particular blogger has had more than two questions answered in these calls … me.  Basically calling me a shill, Beltrone manages to use one question I asked as evidence, demonstrating that Beltrone doesn’t have a very good grasp of the issues:

The fact that most questions are asked by mainstream news outlets doesn’t suggest foul play on the part of either of the campaigns. The trend may be lamentable from a perspective that seeks to foster diversity but it is business as usual. What’s interesting — although not necessarily revealing — is that two people in particular manage to ask more questions than the others. Rodney Livingston of the Solar Powered News Network (SPNN) and Ed Morrissey of Hotair.com are the most frequent contributors on the Obama and McCain calls.

I find this rather interesting, since I miss most of the McCain conference calls. They have one or two a day, and I don’t have the time to attend them, precisely because they tend to be restatements of their press releases. I call in when I find the subject compelling or the surrogates newsworthy.

Morrissey’s questions, on the other hand, clearly exhibit his support for the McCain campaign. This isn’t shocking considering Morrissey blogs for Hotair.com, the pet project of prominent right-wing blogger and frequent FOX News commentator Michele Malkin.

Quite obviously, Beltrone has never bothered to read Michelle’s blog. I’d suggest that he go to her site and do a search on McCain, and get a better idea of the boss’s opinion about the Republican nominee. It’s amazing that Beltrone’s “investigation” managed to miss these details. I give Michelle credit for not skewering me publicly for supporting McCain.

Beyond that, I’ve made no pretense of objectivity in this race, and for that matter, neither has the HuffPo, which hosts columns from Barack Obama.  Isn’t that just a “restatement of the Obama campaign’s talking points”? What’s the headline here — Shocker! Blogger has point of view?

And Beltrone manages to expose his ignorance on his choice of examples of my bias:

And on a call to discuss McCain’s position on the Supreme Court ruling against the DC gun ban, Morrissey said:

“Senator Brownback, thank you for being on the call with us today. Slightly different topic here, you and Senator Pat Roberts sent a letter to the Senate as a whole regarding the insufficiency of Ft. Leavenworth as a replacement facility for Guantanamo Bay. Can you talk a little bit about that and what you’re hoping to do with this initiative?”

Well, who was it that suggested Leavenworth?  John McCain.  Which Republican ran on the insistence of closing Gitmo?  John McCain.  Note to Beltrone: I disagree with McCain on this point, and wanted to emphasize Brownback’s opposition to McCain’s plan.  Apparently, Beltrone doesn’t know how to do research or bother to understand the issues before deciding on “bias”.

Of course, had Beltrone bothered to contact me to get my thoughts on these issues, he wouldn’t have made this mistake.  Funny how his “investigation” never led him to my e-mail address, or even to the Hot Air tips address, to ask me even a single question.   I don’t bite, unless bitten, and I’d have been happy to discuss his “investigation”, but apparently he’s happier leaping to uninformed conclusions.

Comments

But HuffPo is unbiased, Ed. Just like the MSM.

andycanuck on July 23, 2008 at 7:48 AM

And you are surprised, why?

mimi1220 on July 23, 2008 at 7:52 AM

It’s obvious the left is practicing the “we’re not going to let them do this to us!” act – McCain releases an ad about media bias, gaggles of reporters race with Obama and one is there to meet McCain – there seems to be a backlash against the “messiah”, and suddenly McCain has all the reporters (you) in the tank, and Olbermann’s entire show last night on the disgustingly biased MSM and how they are positively in the tank for McCain!

Marcus on July 23, 2008 at 7:54 AM

The only people who are allowed to have opinions must be told what that opinion is by the Democrats first.

Otherwise, you must be a fascist, uncaring, racist, homophobe, xenophobe who hates children.

As far as Huffpo’s getting the facts Ed. You should know better. It isn’t about the facts. It is never about the facts. It is always about feeling.

Blarg the Destroyer on July 23, 2008 at 7:59 AM

Typical Huffpoo.

hillbillyjim on July 23, 2008 at 8:16 AM

McCain has Ed Morrissey of Hotair.com. The Obamassiah has MSNBC, ABC, CBS, NBC, HuffPost, NPR, NY Times, Wa. Post.

No wonder they’re upset, McCain has the intelligent media outlet.

rbj on July 23, 2008 at 8:17 AM

The “Huffpost” pretending its unbiased is like Bill Clinton pretending he’s a virgin..

Dale in Atlanta on July 23, 2008 at 8:19 AM

The disgusting part about this is, the people who read and support that type of lefty “journalism” could give a hoot about the facts. As long as the writers keep spewing what they want to hear, it matters not how it’s twisted to suit their agenda.

4shoes on July 23, 2008 at 8:21 AM

The funny thing is that McCain catches as much hell here and on MM as anywhere, only it is issue-based and not as vitriolic as with the snake-pits out there.

hillbillyjim on July 23, 2008 at 8:21 AM

A blogger with a POV? Shaaazzzaaammmm! All of this discovered by…a blogger with a POV.

bikermailman on July 23, 2008 at 8:27 AM

Wow, Ed, he could have asked any one of us, I would have given him your email address.

Great in-depth reporting Beltrone. HEY, we have the Mendoza line in baseball, let’s create a BELTRONE: Weak, unsubstantiated reportage. Such as: Keith Olbermann pulled a Beltrone on that issue

originalpechanga on July 23, 2008 at 8:29 AM

Shame on you Ed for having beliefs and possitions . . . especially when they contradict this schmuck’s! You have some nerve.

srhoades on July 23, 2008 at 8:35 AM

“…I don’t have the time to attend them, precisely because they tend to be restatements of their press releases.”

Pedanticalness alert! The information presented during a conference call has no bearing on the amount of time you have available to you.

Sorry, I had to say it :).

Kevin M on July 23, 2008 at 8:35 AM

A.I.L.

Another idiot liberal.

Diogenes of Sinope on July 23, 2008 at 8:38 AM

I wouldn’t be too concerned with the left, the sewage that comes out of their mouths is only matched by the Jihadists themselves for bile content. I didn’t read the huffpo post, nor do I care too but if someone has a beef with how many questions you toss in Ed, I’d venture they are just jealous their own Messiah doesn’t seem to acknowledge their existence, let alone answer any of their questions..

Sort of like Obama here in Israel today, a more anti-climatic event you cannot imagine, no fawning crowds, few articles in the papers even, barely a lead..
Welcome to the heart of the middle east Mr. Obama, here we deal in realism, violence, and war, not potpourri and fancy words full of sweet nothings. We don’t do much cult of personality here in the levant.

Don’t let the left try to goad you into personality cult either! I say stick by your opinion and ask it / post it away. If someone disagrees with you no one is scared to comment as much. If anything allahpundit loves to play devil’s advocate, these people don’t know what they are talking about.

saus on July 23, 2008 at 8:40 AM

[sigh] it’s a punk kid studying basketweaving at a school of higher learning who thinks that listening to recordings and over-analyzing the elementary within is going to give him street cred amongst the chattering class of nutroots.

Read: loser who’ll earn a fraction of my salary & thus want me to be forced to pay for his medical bills – just like the rest of them.

rjwest21 on July 23, 2008 at 8:49 AM

Huffpo investigating bias? hmm..is it a full moon?

becki51758 on July 23, 2008 at 8:52 AM

Here’s an example in the comments section of what happens when a HuffPo editor actually criticizes Obama. It’s actaully not as bad as what I was expecting, but there are still those who want to crucify Ms. Sklar for taking the Lord’s name in vein.

If they go wild over their own site moderator’s questioning of an Obama campaign action, it’s no surprise they would lash out at Ed over here to protect The Chosen One.

jon1979 on July 23, 2008 at 8:54 AM

Can’t wait for the investigation of the Obama campaign calls.

Seixon on July 23, 2008 at 8:58 AM

Michelle Malkin supports John McCain and her first name is spelled with one “L”? Nice investigative work Beltrone.

forest on July 23, 2008 at 8:59 AM

Long Live Press Bias.

The fantasy of an unbiased press has done more damage to American minds than anything else I can think of.

JiangxiDad on July 23, 2008 at 9:39 AM

Welcome to the Vast Right Wing Conspiracy, fellow slimed blogger.

steveegg on July 23, 2008 at 10:01 AM

McCain talks with the Media and takes more than 8 questions(And alternative media) Obama doesn’t..

Chakra Hammer on July 23, 2008 at 10:11 AM

Just checked the main page, and I’m shocked, SHOCKED you didn’t choose either the beer or the Magnum shirt :-)

steveegg on July 23, 2008 at 10:30 AM

The last time the left investigated a reporter for asking a friendly question, it didn’t turn out well. I hope there are no naked pictures of you floating around the internet, Ed Gannon. :-)

MayBee on July 23, 2008 at 10:34 AM

MayBee on July 23, 2008 at 10:34 AM

Listen for and follow the sound of violent retching ….

Ed Morrissey on July 23, 2008 at 10:35 AM

4shoes on July 23, 2008 at 8:21 AM

Not much difference here. Don’t fool yourself. We are still all humans and therefore subject to such frailty. All people do it. You are no different than most liberals.

Your argument will be the exact same as theirs, save it. You both sound ridiculous.

The Race Card on July 23, 2008 at 10:53 AM

Ha, Ed!

MayBee on July 23, 2008 at 11:23 AM

Gabriel Poltroon.

Jim Treacher on July 23, 2008 at 11:30 AM

Ouch.

The Race Card on July 23, 2008 at 11:39 AM

Ed… it’s called a “Hit Piece” not an investigation…
hitler called it the “final solution” but it was really “genocide”. we here in America don’t play name games, we call’em like they are… feel free to do the same.
I.E. Beltrone = Communist Sympathizer

Kaptain Amerika on July 23, 2008 at 11:43 AM

The HuffPo “investigation”: Ed Morrissey has an opinion!

A slow day at Huffpo is when everyone forgets to eat beans the night before. Otherwise, it’s the same old unchanged diapers stench.

byteshredder on July 23, 2008 at 11:46 AM

No comments yet on the dude’s post.
And he looks 10 years old in his picture.
8 years of the Al Gore presidency, (with the brief interruption when HitlerBush stole the WH long enough to plot and carry out the 9/11 attacks) is all he has ever known.

Mike D. on July 23, 2008 at 12:58 PM

Stand fast ED!. They have their “big guns” aimed at you. LOL We got your 6 here SIR HEH

Rick554 on July 23, 2008 at 9:26 PM