“Not a campaign event”; another flip-flop

posted at 9:15 am on July 23, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

Yeah, right:

Patrick Ruffini:

This is pretty extraordinary. A candidate for the American Presidency is using flyers printed in German to turn people out for his campaign rally in Berlin on Thursday. This flyer can be found on a bilingual page on BarackObama.com advertising the event … The German flyers bear Obama’s campaign logo and say “Paid for by Obama for America.” …

So, this isn’t just some sober, high-minded foreign policy speech, part of a foreign trip occurring under the auspices of his official Senate office. It is a campaign rally occuring on foreign soil. They are using the same tactics to turn out Germans to an event as they would to any rally right here in America.

I’m sure everyone recalls the assurances that the Obama campaign gave that Barack Obama would not conduct political rallies on this trip.  In fact, they got a little confused over Obama’s current job title in making those assurances:

At a morning background briefing, reporters parried with senior advisers on the characterization of Obama’s speech Thursday in Berlin as a campaign rally. The outdoor speech at the Victory Column could draw thousands of people, similar to the size of Obama events in the United States.

“It is not going to be a political speech,” said a senior foreign policy adviser, who spoke to reporters on background. “When the president of the United States goes and gives a speech, it is not a political speech or a political rally.[”]

But he is not president of the United States,” a reporter reminded the adviser.

“He is going to talk about the issues as an individual … not as a candidate, but as an individual, as a senator,” the adviser added.

Do “individuals” have full-color fliers distributed, complete with media credentialing for the event?  Do Senators have these efforts funded by presidential campaign committees?    Of course not.  The Obama campaign wants to hold a political rally in Berlin, apparently to impress upon American voters how popular Obama is among Europeans.

Ruffini calls this “breathtakingly arrogant”.  Glenn Reynolds says Obama seems to be running for President of the World.   At the very least, the level of truth coming from the Obama campaign on this trip has been breathtakingly low, and their political ear amazingly tone-deaf.  If they think a massive campaign rally in Berlin will convince anyone but the most ardent Leftists in America to vote for Obama, they really need a shake-up in their campaign staff.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

carbon_f: Then comment away! I’d love to hear your impressions of the poster.

Dave Rywall on July 23, 2008 at 10:23 AM

Dave, you just scroll up you can read plenty of my comments on this.

carbon_footprint on July 23, 2008 at 10:24 AM

By the way, even a “novice” can have an opinion-and a legitimate one at that.
You should consider that before you fly in here and just insult 99% of Hot Air readers.

carbon_footprint on July 23, 2008 at 10:25 AM

So when will His Holiness decide to relocate to the Olympiastadion?

Exit Question: How did Barack learn to speak German so fast? Or will he be embarrassed and speak English?

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on July 23, 2008 at 10:25 AM

Maybe, they will all show up naked. They like to do that over there.

Blake on July 23, 2008 at 10:26 AM

of course it’s not a campaign event. what, just because it’s paid by the senator’s presidential campaign and the poster bears his personal logo? pfff. you guys are nuts.

jtorres138 on July 23, 2008 at 10:26 AM

If der Fuhrerbama wins I intend to buy an additional handgun and plenty of ammunition. He and his proposed civilian national security force (Barackshirts who will rat out and arrest freedom-loving citizens not in love with der Fuhrerbama’s policies) scare me.

Who was it that said just because you’re paranoid doesn’t mean they aren’t coming for you?

flyfisher on July 23, 2008 at 9:41 AM

I was just telling my wife the same thing the other day. I said I figured I had until Inauguration Day to buy a gun. After that, forget it.

CurtZHP on July 23, 2008 at 10:26 AM

Hotair people making critical comments on graphic design? HILARIOUS!!!

Dave Rywall on July 23, 2008 at 10:14 AM

You shore are a smart one there Jethro! Ain’t nobody at HA got none of that creative-ness in ‘em. No siree. Art folks ain’t allowed to leave the Leftist plantation lest they be set upon b’the massa’s hounds.

We’s very lucky a gentleman of your caliber done come by to visit us’n an’ set us up straight. Whee doggie!

Gilda on July 23, 2008 at 10:27 AM

By the way, even a “novice” can have an opinion-and a legitimate one at that.

carbon_footprint on July 23, 2008 at 10:25 AM

Some of whom have been working in the communications field for decades.

BigD on July 23, 2008 at 10:29 AM

I think Obama should give this a try in China.

BigD on July 23, 2008 at 10:22 AM

Hell, it wouldn’t even fly 2 hrs. away in E. Europe.

Barry’s act plays well in Seattle, SF, LA, NYC, Boston, London, Berlin, and places like that– the liberal Axis.

JiangxiDad on July 23, 2008 at 10:30 AM

Let me just put this on the record. I sure hope I am dead wrong about this guy. I hope the list is just coincidental. I hope if he wins he turns out to be a great president of all the people and ushers in a person of peace and prosperity. I love my country and I really hate to think they could make a mistake of historical proportions. So, I hope I am dead wrong. Truly.

TheBigOldDog on July 23, 2008 at 10:31 AM

What does Obama have to say to the German people?

BigD on July 23, 2008 at 9:29 AM

Uh…merci beaucoup?

James on July 23, 2008 at 10:32 AM

Are libtards that weak-minded?

flyfisher on July 23, 2008 at 10:20 AM

Prior to the Obamania mass hysteria I would have said no, of course not.

Now the answer is yes. Demonstrably so.

I expect many of them will be quite embarrassed by it one day, individuals will attempt to distance themselves from it, and they’ll try to rewrite their own history. But those of us who recognized it at the time will be happy to remind them of it.

Gilda on July 23, 2008 at 10:34 AM

Gilda on July 23, 2008 at 10:27 AM

Gilda — I would like to thank you for that. It will undoubtedly be the funniest thing I will read today.

BigD on July 23, 2008 at 10:35 AM

JiangxiDad on July 23, 2008 at 10:30 AM

You know how many Obama posters/stickers, etc, I’ve seen in greater Boston? Zero. Hard to believe but true. My son and I even went to the Sox game week fore last and were walking around Kenmore Square (a liberal area of mostly college kids from BU, BC, Northeastern, Harvard, etc) and didn’t see a single thing….hard to believe I know. I think I’ve seen more old Kerry signs still around than Obama. I think living with Deval Patrick may have something to do with it. He was the forerunner to Obamma where Axelrod honed his propaganda skills.

TheBigOldDog on July 23, 2008 at 10:35 AM

Is anyone else creeped out by the messianic style of that poster? I mean, come on! It’s a ground up shot of “The Glorious Leader” that could have come right out of N Korea or Communist China! I’m not sure the American people are going to buy into this. At least these aren’t the American people that I know…

sabbott on July 23, 2008 at 10:23 AM

But unlike past dear leaders, Obama deserves the adulation of all citizens of the world because he is the only direct descendant of Jesus, Hercules, Krishna, Lenin and Zeus according to a family tree the campaign just released in Germany…along with a revised birth certificate which proves his was the only birth in the state of Hawaii where the baby just appeared from the mouth of a volcano and was not born of a woman.

It’s all adding up people. We need to elect this being of light NOW before he becomes disappointed in our inadequate worship and returns to his original plane of existence.

econavenger on July 23, 2008 at 10:37 AM

Carbon_f:

1. I fail to see the goatse.

2. Nationalist Socialism Poster Art? Bit of a stretch. I google image searched that and in the first 6 pages there’s nothing that resembles this poster at all.
then I googles Nationalist Socialism Poster and in the first 6 pages of that there’s nothing close to this poster.

But sure, it does make him iconic with the big stylized image of him – but for chrissakes, the event is about him. The type, the layout nor the colours are the property of nationalist socialism poster art nor did these graphic design elements originate there. This lacks the harshness and coldness of Nazi or Communist posters. If anything, it’s a modern take on Art Deco graphic design.

But, I completely understand how much fun it is for anti-Obama people to make the small leap and make this claim.

Dave Rywall on July 23, 2008 at 10:37 AM

“Then I googled”.

Dave Rywall on July 23, 2008 at 10:38 AM

Jeez chrise

The type, the layout and the colours are NOT the property of nationalist socialism poster art these graphic design elements DID NOT originate there.

Dave Rywall on July 23, 2008 at 10:39 AM

We have seen massive campaign rallies by charismatic leaders in Germany before. Didn’t turn out so good, IIRC.

gridlock2 on July 23, 2008 at 10:39 AM

Glenn Reynolds says Obama seems to be running for President of the World.

Of course he is. Which is why I said Obama is a surrogate for Soros, Kerry, and Gore (not the other way around).

Connie on July 23, 2008 at 10:41 AM

TheBigOldDog on July 23, 2008 at 10:35 AM

Same here in NY. I’ve seen nothing. But then again, we live in uncontested states. They don’t even bother to run campaign ads on television. The only ones I ever seen are posted on HA.

Nevertheless, Obama would be welcomed here with great fawning, tingling, keening, ululating and obsequiousness by one and all.

JiangxiDad on July 23, 2008 at 10:43 AM

Nationalist Socialism Poster Art?

More like commie kitsch:

NoDonkey on July 23, 2008 at 10:45 AM

Nonfactor on July 23, 2008 at 9:31 AM

Is that seriously the extent of your thought process regarding rallies like this overseas?

Spirit of 1776 on July 23, 2008 at 9:34 AM

Jaibones on July 23, 2008 at 10:46 AM

An American critique

Limerick on July 23, 2008 at 10:47 AM

germans (or french, any european for that matter),

Beware!

We will be watching (and anticipating) the moment Obama throws you under his gigantic bus.

Sir Napsalot on July 23, 2008 at 10:48 AM

Dave Rywall on July 23, 2008 at 10:39 AM

The poster of Obama looks very Bauhaus to me…the diagonal, the red strip, etc.

And no indication on that poster of anything American.

JetBoy on July 23, 2008 at 10:48 AM

“I Want All of You to Like Me” [Kathryn Jean Lopez]

Barack Obama. To the media. Twelve seconds ago.

HT: NRO

Creepy and pathetic. One thinks of Reese Witherspoon in the high school “Election” movie.

Wethal on July 23, 2008 at 10:50 AM

What does Obama have to say to the German people? What’s he going to talk abut?

BigD on July 23, 2008 at 9:29 AM

(Can someone translate into German for me, please?)
BO: “I am an even bigger jelly donut.”

Sir Napsalot on July 23, 2008 at 10:51 AM

Since Obambi is my Senator, I thought I’d call his Washington office to see what my guy is up to in Germany. I ended up with some stuttering, bumbling flack named Elizabeth, who is clearly emulating Obama’s non-scripted speech style.

“Uh…umm…ah…well…uh…he…uh…”

Yes, yes. So tell me, Elizabeth, since you can’t think of a single reason why my Senator is giving a speech in Germany, let’s cut the bs, shall we? He’s giving a campaign speech — sorry, a “rally” — in frigging Germany.

Someone, anyone…tell me why.

Answer: he could no more disown the German people than he could call his own grandmother a racist.

Jaibones on July 23, 2008 at 10:52 AM

Limerick on July 23, 2008 at 10:47 AM

“Today, we have found a cure for constipation.”

NoDonkey on July 23, 2008 at 10:53 AM

This is not going to go over well with the American electorate. What’s BO running for anyway?

swami on July 23, 2008 at 9:56 AM

He is running World President. This is just his way of getting everyone to understand that he was not sent to save the USA but the entire world. Do you think his ten years crack was a mistake? We are witnessing the start of the new world order and within that ten years he will have become President of the USA for life and well on the way towards bringing the world together under his rule. At least it will be great for a while because BO must have greatness within the USA for him to capture the world. Hell on earth will only start after he becomes world leader and up until that time we here in the USA will be living large.

jmarcure on July 23, 2008 at 10:53 AM

An American critique

Limerick on July 23, 2008 at 10:47 AM

Aw, piss on it.

Jaibones on July 23, 2008 at 10:53 AM

Dave Rywall on July 23, 2008 at 10:39 AM

Obama’s posters are more reminiscent of the constructivist/suprematist styles favored by the Soviets and other totalitarian regimes of the 20th century. It is deliberate.

Obama’s campaign and his sycophants like Dave Rywall think we are too stupid to notice and are forced to resort to lying about it when we do. It’s nuanced, y’see. They manipulate, we follow. Every mention of the puppetmasters pulling the strings, or the emperor’s lack of clothes, must be crushed.

Gilda on July 23, 2008 at 10:55 AM

When are people going to start demanding their 30-45 minutes of their life back?

B.O. that speech was teh suck, give me my 45minutes back!

Chakra Hammer on July 23, 2008 at 10:56 AM

Either that or just continue the Democrat Party tradition of terrible Presidential terms followed by being even worse ex-Presidents, if that’s even possible.

Where do Democrats find these people? And why do they try?

NoDonkey on July 23, 2008 at 10:56 AM

Limerick on July 23, 2008 at 10:47 AM

hahaha Loved it!

becki51758 on July 23, 2008 at 10:56 AM

If Obama wins, the fall from grace will inevitably come. And given that both he and the credibility whores pimping him in the media have built up an image that no one can sustain, the fall will be as spectacular as the rise.

Blacksheep on July 23, 2008 at 10:56 AM

After Die Fuhrerspiele, the audience is warmly invited to the World Peace Bonfire, with the writings of Ronald Reagan and William F. Buckley providing the fuel.

Steve Z on July 23, 2008 at 10:56 AM

Carbon_f:

1. I fail to see the goatse.

Dave Rywall on July 23, 2008 at 10:37 AM

Okay, troll, I will feed you this once but I have work to do in the real world so this will be it.

1. You fail to see the goatse????? You are joking right?
Internet much?
2. “Googles” much? I never claimed exactness. The overall “feeling” of the poster. This is a “feeling” of mine and you liberals love feelings right? Can I have my feeling?!?

Art Deco? Really. The only similarity would be the Art Deco movement was around the same time as the Nationalist Socialism movement. Other than that, you have nothing. It is like saying Nirvana and Nelson were similar groups because they were of the same decade.

carbon_footprint on July 23, 2008 at 10:57 AM

Einbildungskraft von einen kleines kind.

Johan Klaus on July 23, 2008 at 10:18 AM

I’ll take a stab at this: “Grammar school art for Mom’s refrigerator”?

Was I close, or am I just perpetuating Obama’s image of the ugly American monolinguist?

forest on July 23, 2008 at 10:58 AM

JetBoy on July 23, 2008 at 10:48 AM

Whatever it’s exact style, it emulates the “glorious leader” poster art seen in every totalitarian nation. That’s undeniable and it’s unlike anything I can every remember see here…

TheBigOldDog on July 23, 2008 at 10:59 AM

“And no indication on that poster of anything American.”
JetBoy on July 23, 2008 at 10:48 AM

Red white and blue. Large picture of American Citizen on it. Event starring an American.

I guess they ran out of room for that clip art of the apple pie or hot dog or Shriner mini car.

Dave Rywall on July 23, 2008 at 11:00 AM

Obama’s hoping to set a historical narrative that he and his puppetmasters can advance for future generations. There’s an impact of both immediacy and of legacy in play.

Clearly this is all stagecraft as Obama was forced into going to Iraq by McCain’s challenges and because Obama has proven to have had no intention of changing his mind – that Petraeus and the generals were wrong about the surge and that it should not have been implemented even though we know in hindsight that it worked.

So, why the charade? Obviously he had to in order to create a line on his cover sheet for an embarrassingly thin resume. On a grander scale, however, he’s trying to show that he can meet and unite. On one day, he’s commiserating with the Israelis. The next, he’s meeting with the Germans. More than that, he’s making a public speech on German soil, addressing the masses with appropriate fanfare. Remember, this man lives in the past, much of his focus caught up in conflict of yesteryear in a nation that can do no good. Just ask his wife, pastor, and associates. A subtext of uniting even Germans and Israelis cannot be too far off the mark in his perception of modern society, nevermind that that’s old news.

The takeaway message he’s selling? I’m the Messiah. Only I can mend the conflict of people’s. Look at me. I’m a black man having just met with Israelis. And now I’m in front of you, German masses. Adoring masses. See how great and historic I am?

Obama’s narcissism is so deep that he finds it necessary to think not just of politics now but the historical imprint he alone will leave for biographers and huddled masses worshiping his earthly being. It’s a spectacle for portraits, history books, and “The Paper of Record.”

AnonymousDrivel on July 23, 2008 at 11:01 AM

Obama is going to Germany to apologize for America’s atrocities in WWII.

He will say: Ich bin ein weiner-dog

His poster and other graphics are stikingly like Stalinist propaganda art. The technique is the same

These bizarre Obama graphics have the flavor of the Ayn Rand novels, whose bad guys were modeled on Stalin and the Soviets

This election becomes more and more distasteful. It is a joyless competition because one candidate has a distaste for his nation and he cannot pretend. He disdains cheap symbols of patriotism like a flag lapel pin, but has no problem inventing new gargantuan symbols of his ersatz world like dropping ‘e pluribus unum’ and adding himself to the Presidential seal a la imperial Rome, staging ersatz foreign policy addresses overseas, and publishing Stalin-art campaign posters like the one above

He is inventing his own world and rejecting ours. Both the nazis and the Stalinists played that game.

Alter, erase and bully

entagor on July 23, 2008 at 11:04 AM

One word: monochromatic with a red stripe.

carbon_footprint on July 23, 2008 at 11:06 AM

“And no indication on that poster of anything American.”
JetBoy on July 23, 2008 at 10:48 AM

Dave Rywall on July 23, 2008 at 11:00 AM

Er … just blue, basically. There’s not much red at all and the only white is in some of the type. No one, seeing this poster would think “American” – no American, at least.

There is very little about Obama that is identifiably American, except to non-Americans and whackjob leftists (who hate America).

progressoverpeace on July 23, 2008 at 11:08 AM

becki51758 on July 23, 2008 at 10:56 AM

Thanks! (a quickie adaption of a previous comment on Che)

Limerick on July 23, 2008 at 11:08 AM

Limerick on July 23, 2008 at 11:08 AM

Any dog pissing on Che or Obama is a friend of mine!

becki51758 on July 23, 2008 at 11:11 AM

This could be a play for campaign donations from Europeans.

exhelodrvr on July 23, 2008 at 11:14 AM

carbon_f: Then comment away! I’d love to hear your impressions of the poster.

Dave Rywall on July 23, 2008 at 10:23 AM

Dave Rywall,
You don’t make any sense.

The poster was created for public consumption.
But you are saying unless you have graphical art background, you are not qualified to comment on the poster?

Is this an art exhibit or what? Even an art piece can be criticized by public, not just the critics.

Sir Napsalot on July 23, 2008 at 11:16 AM

Dave Rywall,
You don’t make any sense.

This one is hard to argue against.

carbon_footprint on July 23, 2008 at 11:20 AM

This outbreak of art criticism is an exciting development. I tend to the view that style of campaign posters tell little about a candidate, but more about his artistic staff. On the other hand, rhetoric that suggests government as the solution to all human problems says volumes about a candidate.

thuja on July 23, 2008 at 11:22 AM

I guess they ran out of room for that clip art of the apple pie strudel or

hot dog

snitzel or

Shriner

SS mini car.

Dave Rywall on July 23, 2008 at 11:00 AM

C’mon, Dave. Let’s keep it real.

Jaibones on July 23, 2008 at 11:24 AM

Dave Rywall on July 23, 2008 at 10:37 AM

Yoop on July 23, 2008 at 11:24 AM

Republicans campaign in Spanish. This is no different. Eff any politician who does this.

The Race Card on July 23, 2008 at 11:30 AM

There’s not much red at all…

progressoverpeace on July 23, 2008 at 11:08 AM

Well, not in the picture

catmman on July 23, 2008 at 11:32 AM

Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought his trip was paid for by the taxpayers, since he is a Senator and this is a fact finding trip and that his entourage’s expenses are being paid for by the campaign. This stinks to high heaven.

bopbottle on July 23, 2008 at 11:32 AM

catmman on July 23, 2008 at 11:32 AM

Heh. Good catch.

progressoverpeace on July 23, 2008 at 11:33 AM

The Race Card on July 23, 2008 at 11:30 AM

Um, THE RACE CARD, yes there is a difference. One is pandering and the other is purposeful in it’s intent to inspire beautiful memories of those great communism/socialism moments!

carbon_footprint on July 23, 2008 at 11:34 AM

What is the German word for “uhhhhh”?

ihasurnominashun on July 23, 2008 at 11:35 AM

(Can someone translate into German for me, please?)
BO: “I am an even bigger jelly donut.”

Sir Napsalot on July 23, 2008 at 10:51 AM

I think I just hurt something I might need later.

DrMagnolias on July 23, 2008 at 11:40 AM

carbon_footprint on July 23, 2008 at 11:34 AM

So pandering is OK? Point me to the proof of “intent” as you see it?

Do you do anything with specificity? Do you wipe your own butt or just butts in general?

The Race Card on July 23, 2008 at 11:43 AM

Why is there a question mark at the end of your sentence?
//self-smack

The Race Card on July 23, 2008 at 11:45 AM

Dave Rywall on July 23, 2008 at 11:00 AM

The sound of a non-American trying to tell Americans what is American. I love it.

Are you related to BHO?

progressoverpeace on July 23, 2008 at 11:45 AM

carbon_footprint on July 23, 2008 at 11:34 AM

So pandering is OK? Point me to the proof of “intent” as you see it?

The Race Card on July 23, 2008 at 11:43 AM

Pandering is a fact. If you fail to see that then you are living in a fantasy world. Every politician has done it since the beginning of time and it will continue.
Intent? It reads as being that way to hundreds of thousands of Americans. So intent really does not matter, the result is concrete. So strike intent if you like. The results are evident in the reaction of many Americans.
I have no clue what your last statement is-besides being aimed to make me angry. Not going to work with me. SO move along troll.

carbon_footprint on July 23, 2008 at 11:47 AM

Why is there a question mark at the end of your sentence?
//self-smack

The Race Card on July 23, 2008 at 11:45 AM

I’d smack you too if you were sitting across from me now.
: P

carbon_footprint on July 23, 2008 at 11:48 AM

Okay The RACE Card. Since you have RACE in your moniker, I assume you are a democrat (you guys are obsessed with it).
Have fun in fingerpainting class, I have to go back to work.

carbon_footprint on July 23, 2008 at 11:50 AM

“So that we may all understand your contributions better, please enlighten us as to the definition of objectivity in your world. I suspect it differs significantly from the common usage in the English language.”

Yoop on July 23, 2008 at 11:24 AM

Well, I call bullsh*t on Obama and I call bullsh*t on McCain.

Dave Rywall on July 23, 2008 at 11:51 AM

Germans arrest protester

Limerick on July 23, 2008 at 11:51 AM

The parodies write themselves.

blankminde on July 23, 2008 at 9:28 AM

Paging Mel Brooks.

Buy Danish on July 23, 2008 at 11:53 AM

The Race Card on July 23, 2008 at 11:30 AM

First, both parties campaign in Spanish. Second, they are talking to AMERICANS who speak Spanish. Third, they are doing it in AMERICA. Fourth, they usually aren’t using, “glorious leader,” style poster art common in totalitarian nations when they do it. Fifth, they usually aren’t standing in front of monuments tied to Germany’s past military glory and the Nazi party in particular at the time.

TheBigOldDog on July 23, 2008 at 11:53 AM

Germans arrest protester

Limerick on July 23, 2008 at 11:51 AM

This may turn out out be a very interesting event…

TheBigOldDog on July 23, 2008 at 11:56 AM

BHO’s trip reminds me very much of Jesse Jackson’s illegal campaign trip to Cuba to bring back a bunch of criminals. But affirmative action dictates that certain candidates are allowed to do whatever they want.

progressoverpeace on July 23, 2008 at 11:59 AM

Looking over the notice details, it sure does look as though it’s going to cost Berlin a heck of a lot of money to provide security for one private individual to speak under the shadow of a monument at the center of a traffic circle serving three collector roads and a main thoroughfare during afternoon rush hour.

The prohibition of banners and posters at his private individual speaking event open to the public in a public park where it appears, access to entry is not controlled is kind of cute. No doubt the campaign means to enforce that in only the immediate area of the circle by fencing that off, but I can’t imagine the Berlin authorities are going to prevent anyone attending but outside the fence from waving posters or holding up banners.

The entry for attending inside the Obamazone being a third of a mile from the circle is a nice touch, too, and will make for some nice ‘adoring fans’ photos from the event.

Dusty on July 23, 2008 at 12:00 PM

Yet another “Dukakis in a tank” moment.

obladioblada on July 23, 2008 at 12:00 PM

This is what the obamantor sees in his morning looking glass: Statesman to the World.

Everything this man and minions think & do is filtered through that lens.

The art is the appropriate shade of Riefenstahl.

locomotivebreath1901 on July 23, 2008 at 12:02 PM

Obama seems to be running for President of the World.

Yes it does. That and the Civilian National Army, his pledge to be dealing with MidEast leaders for another 10 years…

Antichrist anyone? Really. Seriously. I’m not a religious fanatic; actually don’t really have any use for organized religion. I did grow up in a fundamentalist faith and I do remember my Bible readings from that time.

Obama = antichrist.

KrisinNE on July 23, 2008 at 12:07 PM

And in related news, the Bundestag requests extra fire protection for the Reichstag building.

coyoterex on July 23, 2008 at 12:08 PM

locomotivebreath1901 on July 23, 2008 at 12:02 PM

That reminds me, for those who haven’t seen it, you can watch Leni Riefenstahl’s Triumph of the will at Google video with english subtitles.

TheBigOldDog on July 23, 2008 at 12:10 PM

Maybe Obama is going to ask the German people to take all the Jews back from Israel. That way he won’t have to take responsibility for the second Holocaust after he pulls all of our troops out of the Middle East and cuts the deal with Iran that seals Israel’s demise.

rockmom on July 23, 2008 at 12:11 PM

KrisinNE on July 23, 2008 at 12:07 PM

Go to page one and look at my running list.

TheBigOldDog on July 23, 2008 at 12:11 PM

Do you wipe your own butt or just butts in general?

The Race Card on July 23, 2008 at 11:43 AM

Pardon me sir, you seem to have wandered into the wrong part of the internet. Let me direct you to the Ron Paul True Conservative™ Day Camp, here, or the Obamabot Kindergarten, here.

I’m certain you’ll find either place much more to your liking.

Gilda on July 23, 2008 at 12:13 PM

It’s as I’ve said from the beginning of this. Obama is running for head of state of what happens to be the largest, most prosperous subsection of the global state. That it happens to be called the United States of America is irrelevant to him, and to his supporters. This is about global socialism.

Think globally, act locally.

spmat on July 23, 2008 at 12:14 PM

Obama seems to be running for President of the World.

Well, we Americans call it the World Series (even though only American teams compete), so why not?

Grow Fins on July 23, 2008 at 12:20 PM

Dusty on July 23, 2008 at 12:00 PM

Not to mention the fact that the poster for this private individual speaking identifies him as “Senator”.

progressoverpeace on July 23, 2008 at 12:21 PM

Blake on July 23, 2008 at 10:26 AM

yup, and i’ve got the pics to prove it.

hot summer day, middle of Munich

TheCulturalist on July 23, 2008 at 12:34 PM

Deutsche volk! Wann ich der president werden- Frei einhorn fur alles!*

Germans! When I become president-Free unicorns for everybody!

Little Boomer on July 23, 2008 at 12:35 PM

I’m certain you’ll find either place much more to your liking.

Gilda on July 23, 2008 at 12:13 PM

You’re responsible for handing out conservative credentials? Any other ideals I must conform with to meet your conservative criteria?

Please be specific. I’ve always wanted to belong to a party wherein everybody MUST think the same way.

The Race Card on July 23, 2008 at 12:38 PM

Gilda on July 23, 2008 at 12:13 PM

Your silence bespeaks your insolence.

The Race Card on July 23, 2008 at 12:40 PM

he’s acting like a sitcom/tv drama star gone wild. they get some fame, start makin’ some major coin, the sycophants arrive to tell them their every bodily function smells like a rose garden and pretty soon they think it’s time for the big screen.

Barry is the Washington equivalent of David Caruso.

TheCulturalist on July 23, 2008 at 12:40 PM

I just showed this poster to my husband, who learned German a long time ago, and who just returned home as Hurricane Dolly hovers along South Padre Island (We’re just north of North Padre Island.)

His impression? “I think he’s the Antichrist.”

I simply couldn’t care less about the graphics. Any full-blooded American with common sense knows that we don’t give a rat about what the world thinks of us. The fact that he’s getting all of this marketing out there to people who are going to have no voice and no vote in this matter should give us plenty of fire-alarm warnings about him.

newton on July 23, 2008 at 12:41 PM

We really really really need an Obama in a tank, wind-surfing or dressed up like a sperm cell like the “haughty john kerry” to bring this dufus down several pegs… So far, his press office has done a wonderful job of managing his coverage, however! You have to give it to them…and then there is John McNumbnuts campaign…

sabbott on July 23, 2008 at 12:41 PM

Springtime for Barack, and Germany.

blankminde on July 23, 2008 at 12:42 PM

newton on July 23, 2008 at 12:41 PM

Hang in there Newton!!!!! Up here (Ft Worth) it is business as usual. Not a FEMA trailer in sight.

Limerick on July 23, 2008 at 12:48 PM

I knew this reminded me of something! God bless Don McLean!

Everybody Loves Me, Baby

Fortune has me well in hand, armies ‘wait at my command
My gold lies in a foreign land buried deep beneath the sand
The angels guide my ev’ry tread, my enemies are sick or dead
But all the victories I’ve led haven’t brought you to my bed

CHORUS:
You see, everybody loves me, baby, what’s the matter with you?
Won’t you tell me what did I do to offend you?

Now the purest race I’ve bred for thee to live in my democracy
And the highest human pedigree awaits the first-born boy baby [okay, well he already has two girls, so just move along]
And my face on ev’ry coin engraved, the anarchists are all enslaved
My own flag is forever waved by the grateful people I have saved

CHORUS:
You see, everybody loves me, baby, what’s the matter with you?
Won’t you tell me what did I do to offend you?

Now, no land is beyond my claim when land is seized in the people’s name
By evil men who rob and maim, if war is hell, I’m not to blame!
Why, you can’t blame me, I’m Heaven’s child, I’m the second son of Mary mild
And I’m twice removed from Oscar Wilde, but he didn’t mind, why, he just smiled

Yes, and the ocean parts when I walk through, and the clouds dissolve and the sky turns blue
I’m held in very great value by everyone I meet but you
’cause I’ve used my talents as I could, I’ve done some bad, I’ve done some good
I did a whole lot better than they thought I would so, come on and treat me like you should!

Because everybody loves me, baby, what’s the matter with you?
Won’t you tell me what did I do to offend you?

stoutcat on July 23, 2008 at 12:49 PM

Crap! PIMF–I meant to add that I hereby nominate this [above] to be Barry’s new campaign song.

stoutcat on July 23, 2008 at 12:52 PM

(Can someone translate into German for me, please?)
BO: “I am an even bigger jelly donut.”

Sir Napsalot on July 23, 2008 at 10:51 AM

Ich Bin ein gross Berliner.

Johan Klaus on July 23, 2008 at 12:52 PM

I am getting a lot more curious about how this event will occur.

The gates are said to be open at 4PM. When is Obama going to speak? Does this private individual who happens to be an American senator expect people to show up quickly and stand around waiting for Barack to show up and give a speech, so they can then leave?

Is there no music? Are there no speakers in the run up to Barack arriving to give his speech? Is there no underlying tone at all associated with Obama saying what he has to say to the German people?

Is the campaign really depending on Obama alone to define whether this event is a boom or a bust?

Dusty on July 23, 2008 at 12:54 PM

I’ll take a stab at this: “Grammar school art for Mom’s refrigerator”?

forest on July 23, 2008 at 10:58 AM

An image of a small child.

Johan Klaus on July 23, 2008 at 12:56 PM