Audio: Avoid another “boring, normal, mainstream Republican white guy” for VP, says Newt

posted at 3:25 pm on July 23, 2008 by Allahpundit

My sentiments exactly, as I’ve made clear more than once before. We already knew who his top pick was; his second choice will come as no surprise, given his reasoning.

Who he means by “boring, normal, mainstream Republican white guys” is left unsaid, but I think we’re all on the same page.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

What has Colin Powell or Condi Clueless Rice really accomplished outside of both President Bush’s being incredibly loyal towards incompetents (meaning Rice and Powell).

Right now Condi is slathering saliva all over the Messiah’s feet! Oooh, it’s so great a black man is a candidate, it shows that America has started to make amends for its racism! And this is a supposed Republican? She goes beyond incompetent and into the realm of disloyalty to the party that has given her posts far beyond her capabilities.

Lehuster on July 23, 2008 at 4:06 PM

She has potential to be chief executive, shows good judgment, good outreach, and communicates well. What’s not to like.

Spirit of 1776 on July 23, 2008 at 4:04 PM

So if she was running, you’d vote for her right now, with what little you really know about her?

TheBigOldDog on July 23, 2008 at 4:07 PM

Jindal is too smart to latch on to McCain right now. He will bide his time, amass a great record in LA, and ramp up for the next one. That way he won’t have the “Loosing VP” stink on him like Edwards, Lieberman, Jack Kemp, etc.

This kid has the juice to get it done. He will only get more savey.

saiga on July 23, 2008 at 4:08 PM

Would this rule out Ron Paul?

Oh wait, Ron Paul is certifiably insane. As a member of a designated victim group, he’s still eligible.

NoDonkey on July 23, 2008 at 4:08 PM

“Boring, normal, mainstream Republican guy?” Just take a quick glance at who we ended up with as our Presidential Nominee, Newt! For crying out loud!

Jockolantern on July 23, 2008 at 4:03 PM

Come to think of it, how did we wind up with the Cranky Old Bastard as our nominee any way? I can find maybe 5 spirited, enthusiastic McCain supporters out there. Most of us are voting for McCain only b/c an Obama Presidency would be disastrous. That Republican sense of primogeniture is totally suicidal – that’s how we end up with Bob “Mr. E.D.” Dole, George W. Bush, Juan McAmnesty and probably 4 years from now Jeb Bush.

Hilts on July 23, 2008 at 4:08 PM

I reject the idea that being boring, normal or mainstream is a function of being white. What if a black man had said that?

The Race Card on July 23, 2008 at 4:10 PM

JetBoy on July 23, 2008 at 3:59 PM

Palin I think could help in PA, particularly in rural PA with conservatives who are turned off by McCain. Taking PA away from Obama could be devastating, and there’s a possibility of that because of blue collar Dem voters who are pro-2nd and culturally conservative, and don’t really like New Left guys like Obama.

I don’t know how Bob Barker with a beard would do in PA, but I don’t think he brings much to the table. Romney also would do poorly here, his CEO image and squishiness on guns and abortion would probably be counterproductive for McCain.

doubleplusundead on July 23, 2008 at 4:11 PM

Lehuster on July 23, 2008 at 4:06 PM

Also she sucked up to Hezbollah and the P.L.O. Sh eis what is wrong with affirmative action.

Hilts on July 23, 2008 at 4:12 PM

TheBigOldDog on July 23, 2008 at 4:07 PM

I’m not uncomfortable with her. Like Sanford she’s been against McCain on certain issues, which is good.

Spirit of 1776 on July 23, 2008 at 4:12 PM

The Race Card on July 23, 2008 at 4:10 PM

Then if you’d be called a racist for disagreeing with him.

wise_man on July 23, 2008 at 4:12 PM

What if a black man had said that?

The Race Card on July 23, 2008 at 4:10 PM

You know black people can’t be racist. Whoopi told us so.

Esthier on July 23, 2008 at 4:16 PM

We’ve never seen a black anything before.

DaveS on July 23, 2008 at 3:40 PM

No, but we have had a Native American VP (half-) before.

Herbert Hoover’s VP was half-Inidan. Pretty interesting:

Nearly half of Curtis’ background was made up of American Indian heritage. His mother, Ellen Pappan Curtis, was one-fourth Kaw, one-fourth Osage, and one-fourth Pottawatomie (as well as one-fourth French). Curtis spent part of his early life on a Kaw reservation, and is the first and only person with acknowledged non-European ancestry to reach either of the two highest offices in the United States government’s executive branch. Curtis was the last U.S. Vice President or President to wear a beard or mustache—in his case, a mustache—while in office.

battleoflepanto1571 on July 23, 2008 at 4:17 PM

Urkel?

jl on July 23, 2008 at 4:18 PM

We’ve never seen a black anything before.

DaveS on July 23, 2008 at 3:40 PM
No, but we have had a Native American VP (half-) before.

Herbert Hoover’s VP was half-Inidan. Pretty interesting:

battleoflepanto1571 on July 23, 2008 at 4:17 PM

Actually, I think that makes him black.

jl on July 23, 2008 at 4:19 PM

The number of people who care about the VP pick outside the sort who blog or read blogs approaches zero.

Karl on July 23, 2008 at 4:05 PM

That’s about it.

MB4 on July 23, 2008 at 4:20 PM

[The Republicans have] been trying to play the democrat game for 16 years and they’ve been getting their butts kicked. They controlled congress and the White House for 6 years and did absolutely nothing. Now you want to start picking candidates based on what they look like. The republican party has become democrat lite.

peacenprosperity on July 23, 2008 at 3:40 PM

I find myself agreeing with you often.

Principle has gone out the window for the win–a short-term benefit indeed.

baldilocks on July 23, 2008 at 4:24 PM

Avoid ‘boring White guy’, yes. But Stallin’ Powell & Cluelessa Rice don’t cut it for me.
McCain/Palin! or,
McCain/Jindal!

jgapinoy on July 23, 2008 at 4:24 PM

What if a black man had said that?

The Race Card on July 23, 2008 at 4:10 PM

The you would known as “typical”.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on July 23, 2008 at 4:24 PM

jgapinoy on July 23, 2008 at 4:24 PM

Tru dat, playa.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on July 23, 2008 at 4:25 PM

I’m starting to hear a buzz about Eric Cantor. I’d personally prefer a VP to have a clear electoral benefit, but our choices are limited this year. And Newt’s right, we need someone who will create a little excitement.

Infidoll on July 23, 2008 at 4:26 PM

That is not about it with todays media. All they want are viewers, clickers or liteners. Newt is absolutely right about how someone different and exciting is the only way McCain can win. I really hope we can capitalize on the growing sentiment towards the media lovefest with Obama. I hope he picks Sarah Palin and I hope he does it soon. I just know it would get the media to ANWAR too.

myamphibian on July 23, 2008 at 4:27 PM

I agree with half his statement. We should avoid boring and normal. McCain’s got that covered.

Esthier on July 23, 2008 at 4:27 PM

I agree with Newt. I think Romney (a competent executive) is the person I would I would most like to see in the white house, but McCain needs to win first. I would like to see him pick Palin. I think it’s the only way he can get media coverage that would even be close to Obama’s. Obama has an equal or greater amount of money, and McCain isn’t going to seal the deal without some intriguing aspect to his ticket.

Also, the oil drilling is the issue where he gets Obama significantly. Palin just adds more media attention to that issue.

joncoltonis on July 23, 2008 at 4:33 PM

myamphibian on July 23, 2008 at 4:27 PM

Well…………McCain is going to Cali on August 25. Maybe he’ll take it little trip north then too?

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on July 23, 2008 at 4:33 PM

Gimme Palin, baby!!

… for VP of course. You didn’t think I meant something else, did you? (insert innocent face here).

thirteen28 on July 23, 2008 at 4:35 PM

We should avoid boring and normal. McCain’s got that covered.

You are kidding, I hope.

If not, you know nothing about his life story.

And he’s not a boring guy. Infuriating to many, but not boring.

NoDonkey on July 23, 2008 at 4:36 PM

I think most voters are adults and want to vote in a President and Vice President that are knowedgeable enough to lead this country.The rock star idea might get attention but the whole idea of people fainting at political ralleys make me want to puck.Save Jindal and Palin for the future ,we are going to need them but for now I believe Mitt Rommney would be the best choice.my brother is one of those children that worked to get John Kerry elected but some how fail to make it to the polls himself.I beleve this is the type of voter that follows Obama.

CaCa on July 23, 2008 at 4:38 PM

myamphibian on July 23, 2008 at 4:27 PM

I hate to be picky, but it’s ANWR. I don’t want anyone to get confused between ANWR and Gabrielle Anwar, the actress. Someone might suggest drilling Anwar and get in trouble.

Let’s be careful out there!

jl on July 23, 2008 at 4:39 PM

NoDonkey on July 23, 2008 at 4:36 PM

Partially. I know his history is extremely exciting, but his current politics leave many underwhelmed, myself included.

It couldn’t hurt if his VP was someone people would be excited to go to the polls for, especially considering his age.

Esthier on July 23, 2008 at 4:39 PM

Leiberaman would shake the ticket up…Palin would rock the boat…Romney, nice hair…
Get’s down to…the VP will garner 2 dozen additional votes, will McCain need those 24 votes.

right2bright on July 23, 2008 at 4:41 PM

peacenprosperity on July 23, 2008 at 3:30 PM

Nice try, but this only works if you think that Palin doesn’t have “the ideas” or a conservative philosophy, which Palin does.

It's Vintage, Duh on July 23, 2008 at 4:42 PM

Having Palin as a VP (she has More executive experience than Obama) would show just how much lack of experience that Obama has, and that Palin is on the bottom of the Ticket(Vice President, not running as the President)

it should show the people how out of touch Obama is, then keep playing that video over and over where Obama himself says, that he isn’t going to run because he doesn’t have enough experience…

Chakra Hammer on July 23, 2008 at 4:43 PM

myamphibian on July 23, 2008 at 4:27 PM

As much as I would like for this to be the case (everybody knows I’m in the tank for Palin by now), I think that actually announcing it at ANWR would be a disaster if he doesn’t come around on his whole “ANWR is like the Grand Canyon” theory first. It would be awesome, however, if he did it on a rig out in Prudhoe Bay. He’s headed to an oil rig in the Gulf tomorrow (Dolly permitting), so it would be another good chance for him to use the oil biz as a backdrop.

steadyrock on July 23, 2008 at 4:45 PM

Let’s be careful out there!

jl on July 23, 2008 at 4:39 PM

AnwarAnwr

right2bright on July 23, 2008 at 4:46 PM

McCain not boring? You’re kidding right? Have you listened to him give a speech? I’d rather plunge my head into a vat of hot boiling oil that listen to him! Inspiring? NO! He needs something that conservatives like me can get behind and so far he ain’t delivering anything except maybe drilling and building some nuclear reactors. But…where the hell has that been during the past 20 years that he’s been a “foot soldier in the Reagan revolution”?

sabbott on July 23, 2008 at 4:47 PM

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on July 23, 2008 at 4:33 PM

If McCain went to ANWAR and said “hey, this place is a huge mudhole, let’s drill here!” the price of a barrel would go down even more I bet.

Save Jindal and Palin for the future ,we are going to need them
CaCa on July 23, 2008 at 4:38 PM

Palin/Jindal 2012
It starts now!

myamphibian on July 23, 2008 at 4:48 PM

If McCain went to ANWAR ANWR and said “hey, this place is a huge mudhole, let’s drill here!” the price of a barrel would go down even more I bet.

myamphibian on July 23, 2008 at 4:48 PM

And if that happened, I’d have some scratch left over to throw into the Bravo Zulu thing.

steadyrock on July 23, 2008 at 4:51 PM

Audio: Avoid another “boring, normal, mainstream Republican white guy” for VP

My sentiments exactly…

Wrong, AP. And I’m serious. I don’t care what his skin tone is. I want a right-winger, even if I have to settle (rolls eyes) for a white guy.

Get out the ***-**** base!

urbancenturion on July 23, 2008 at 4:52 PM

If Newt is falling for this rock star / messiah garbage that the MSM is peddling, be might be right. If picking the most capable person regardless of race, gender, religion and economic background is no longer valid, then what does it matter as long as they talk and look good. If Obama had been president instead of Bush, the right to bear arms would’ve ceased to exist. He will pass taxes and erase freedoms that we have taken for granted just for a start.

volsense on July 23, 2008 at 4:53 PM

sabbott on July 23, 2008 at 4:47 PM

Fine. Just change out where I wrote boring for inspiring, since that’s what I actually meant. Hopefully that’ll clear things up.

Esthier on July 23, 2008 at 4:55 PM

Hilts on July 23, 2008 at 4:12 PM

I also may not like her actions lately…but affirmative action? Better look at her bio, hardly a more impressive academic.

right2bright on July 23, 2008 at 4:55 PM

steadyrock on July 23, 2008 at 4:45 PM

Totally agree. As I said on another thread, I hope he chooses Palin and announces it at an Alaskan oil facility, surrounded by cheering oil workers. He should cast oil workers as the newest heroes in the war to save our future. He needs to tie his image and message inextricably to domestic energy production as quickly as possible. Oil, jobs, revenue, relief!

aero on July 23, 2008 at 5:02 PM

then what does it matter as long as they talk and look good.
volsense on July 23, 2008 at 4:53 PM

People often vote for a candidate that makes them feel good about the choice. If he is simply recognizing this fact, then it’s something to consider. I do not think that Newt is advocating that a very well qualified boring white guy should be abandoned for a clueless minority, how about looking for a VP pick that brings a difference to the ticket – and is highly intelligent, qualified and diverse.

It’s not that bad of advice.

wise_man on July 23, 2008 at 5:03 PM

right2bright on July 23, 2008 at 4:55 PM

Yeah, I don’t get that comment either. She is certainly qualified for the position.

Esthier on July 23, 2008 at 5:06 PM

aero on July 23, 2008 at 5:02 PM

Agreed.

wise_man on July 23, 2008 at 5:15 PM

This has to be the most emotional thread I have seen in a while…people are so caught up with the idea of Palin or Jindal that they are like..right on Newt. Sorry, voting for someone because of their VP’s race, gender, or whatever superficial thing…is STUPID. Reagan wasn’t Black, nor female, and he did just fine.

Conservative Voice on July 23, 2008 at 5:16 PM

I think Palin or Jindal would make great VPs, on their merits, not on their race or gender.
Come one folks, don’t play the Democrat game, symbolism over substance.

Conservative Voice on July 23, 2008 at 5:19 PM

How ’bout a real live genuine rock star?

Ted Nugent for VP!

He’d help McCain and the Republicans win Michigan.

ericdondero on July 23, 2008 at 5:26 PM

right2bright on July 23, 2008 at 4:55 PM

She was an academic and Soviet expert (a nation that no longer exists). She got pushed along by the Bush people b/c she is black just like Colin Powell (who had an undistinguished but honorable military background yet was made Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff). What has Rice done to distinguish herself as Sec. of State? Has she not gone totally native at Foggy Bottom? Dick Morris who passes himself off nightly on Fox as some sort of savant expert a couple of years ago actually predicted that the race in 2008 would be between Condi Clueless and Hillary! Wrong!!

Hilts on July 23, 2008 at 5:29 PM

That is an intellectually bankrupt “observation”.

Um, picking “dark skinned folks” is, itself, a message. And I’m not sure I like what you implying,

You know, you’re an idiot. First off, how ban an obeservation be intellectually bankrupt? That doesn’t make any sense at all. A nd second, you’re an idiot. Take your overly sensitive, politically correct ass and go bendover for al sharpton.

Little cowardly wimps like you are running the republican party and looking for a candiate who’ll offend liberals the least.

peacenprosperity on July 23, 2008 at 5:30 PM

“dark skinned folks” can’t have strong, conservative opinions.

That whole post proves you are a liberal.

peacenprosperity on July 23, 2008 at 5:31 PM

Come one folks, don’t play the Democrat game, symbolism over substance.

Conservative Voice on July 23, 2008 at 5:19 PM

Jindal running as V.P. after being sworn in in January would be a total betrayal of the people of Louisiana who elected him and repudiated Kathleen Blanco. For God’s sake let’s see how he does cleaning up corruption in one of the most historically corrupt states of the union.

Hilts on July 23, 2008 at 5:31 PM

you need to get past the shallow, thoughtless way of looking at things.

DaveS on July 23, 2008 at 3:58 PM

Politically correct liberal asshole.

Is that shallow enough for you?

peacenprosperity on July 23, 2008 at 5:32 PM

Style and image DO matter, and frankly I think we’d see McCain doing better if he had some of that in his court.

Do you get that this country is in mortal danger? Or do you think nothing will ever change?

peacenprosperity on July 23, 2008 at 5:35 PM

I think Palin might be an excellent choice assuming that, unlike Jindal, she’s not an anti-science religious kook. I don’t know enough about her to have a definite opinion, but from what I’ve heard she sounds very promising.

On the other hand, I tend to disagree with Newt that Republicans are likely to get excited by an identity-politic VP selection. The reason conservatives aren’t excited about McCain has nothing to do with identity and everything to do with ideology.

FloatingRock on July 23, 2008 at 5:39 PM

Hilts on July 23, 2008 at 5:31 PM

I realize that, I was merely stating we should judge him on his merits, not his skin color.

Conservative Voice on July 23, 2008 at 5:41 PM

peacenprosperity on July 23, 2008 at 5:35 PM

I fail to see your point… Do you think the only way to keep us safe is to focus on ideals rather than practicality? Or do you just think that whip-smart, true conservative, credentialed, experienced, energetic and vibrant young turks can’t also be stylish and easy on the eyes?

steadyrock on July 23, 2008 at 5:44 PM

Ted Nugent for VP!

ericdondero on July 23, 2008 at 5:26 PM

He could open for the President every year at the State of the Union.

FloatingRock on July 23, 2008 at 5:49 PM

When conservatives start working identity politics, you might as well turn off the lights. Sad.

progressoverpeace on July 23, 2008 at 5:49 PM

Concerning Palin, why would McCain risk bringing
this
into his campaign. Even if the investigation vindicates her (how long would that take), it would be too great a risk.

okonkolo on July 23, 2008 at 5:51 PM

Yes, I apologize. I’ve always felt true leaders are that way because of their character and abilities not because they look good on TV or might be the first of their kind. When you talk about choosing practical over substance the war is over.

peacenprosperity on July 23, 2008 at 5:52 PM

FloatingRock on July 23, 2008 at 5:39 PM

I completely agree. However, it’s not just dyed in the wool conservatives that he’s trying to win over here. Remember all the talk during Luntz’s focus groups about how Mitt “looked presidential”?

McCain will either shore up his conservative credentials with his veep pick or he’ll rot on the vine. My point is that of the pool of candidates who can shore those up, he would do well to choose someone who also brings energy and visual distinction to help with those who can’t bring themselves to choose another all “old white guy” ticket when a passable alternative exists. And yes, those people exist…and they are legion.

steadyrock on July 23, 2008 at 5:53 PM

Concerning Palin, why would McCain risk bringing
this

okonkolo on July 23, 2008 at 5:51 PM

Maybe that’s why she’s not on the list in Vegas (as Limerick, I think, pointed out).

Big S on July 23, 2008 at 5:54 PM

Romney = Boring white guy

Palin = HOT white girl with a reform record.

Sir Andrew on July 23, 2008 at 5:55 PM

Romney = Boring white guy

Palin = HOT white girl with a reform record.

Sir Andrew on July 23, 2008 at 5:55 PM

Hot? You guys need to get out more.

Big S on July 23, 2008 at 5:56 PM

The democrats lie and hide from their own policies because they know that if the American people understood what they are really about and what thier policies would do to this country they would never get elected. If republicans think they have to hise from conservative ideals and policies then the republican party isn’t really for conservatives. It isn’t any different then the democrats. Two parties that are only concerned with holding on to thier piece of the pie and not to doing what is right for this country. A political class where ideology is far down the list of priorities and walking the tightrope between appearing useless and reelection is number 1. If a conservative agenda was ever enacted agressively in this country we would again lead the world in every manner. I just don’t think we will ever see it happen and the left plays for keeps, they don’t give back ground.

peacenprosperity on July 23, 2008 at 6:00 PM

Big S on July 23, 2008 at 5:54 PM

My bad. That’s what happens when I only read the most recent page.

okonkolo on July 23, 2008 at 6:00 PM

peacenprosperity on July 23, 2008 at 5:52 PM

Fred Thompson was very easily the ideal Republican candidate for 2008 in terms of background, expertise, positions, character, and abilities. Yet he got his funny hat handed to him because he had an image problem. Where is Fred now? I learned from Fred that focusing exclusively on ideals to the exclusion of everything else will get you nowhere. On the other hand, (as I said in my previous post) style and image are the only things keeping Obama afloat at this point (I beg you to disprove that). I believe it would be wise for us to take some of that energy and use it for our advantage by choosing the person who contains the best mix of principled, experienced conservatism and media-friendly style. Do you believe the two have to be mutually exclusive?

steadyrock on July 23, 2008 at 6:05 PM

Yet he got his funny hat handed to him because he had an image problem.

Fred lost because he ran a lousy campaign, plain and simple. He had plenty of support but sat back and let huckabbe tear down Romney thinking he could step in after all the fighting was over. But the media had something else in mind and now we’re going to get a sissy, elitist corrup illinois state senator for president. For God’s sake, the guy was put in charge of a committee overseeing one of the fronts in the war on terror and he never even called a meeting. Now he is going to be president. If Fred was the conservative candidate then he can accept part of the blame for the position we are in right now.

peacenprosperity on July 23, 2008 at 6:17 PM

peacenprosperity on July 23, 2008 at 6:00 PM

Amen to that! You’re on a roll today!

TheBigOldDog on July 23, 2008 at 6:17 PM

Since when did Fred Thompson focus almost exclusively on ideals? His campaign was carefully scripted to make the suburban D.C. denizen and actor out to be a down-home country fella, red pickup truck and all. Like any other situation in which a cult of personality takes over, conservative activists elected to ignore the man behind the curtain, and any discrepancies between Thompson’s record and proposals.

Big S on July 23, 2008 at 6:23 PM

peacenprosperity on July 23, 2008 at 6:17 PM

I keep asking you two questions here, and you keep dodging them. I’ll ask one more time, very clearly, before I give you up as a fool:

1) Do you believe that style and substance HAVE TO BE mutually exclusive, or is it possible that the two can coexist in one package?

2) Do you believe that image will play absolutely no part in how people will vote this coming November?

I can’t make it any more plain than that. If you still can’t answer those questions, I can’t have a discussion with you.

steadyrock on July 23, 2008 at 6:24 PM

Big S on July 23, 2008 at 6:23 PM

I didn’t mean to imply that Fred did that, so let me rephrase:

I learned from watching the results of Fred’s campaign that if voters focus exclusively on the ideals that a candidate represents to the exclusion of other facets such as media savvy or first impressions, then those voters will likely not get what they want.

Similarly, I see from watching Obama’s campaign that a little bit of style and media savvy can go a long, long way toward getting favorable election odds.

steadyrock on July 23, 2008 at 6:30 PM

If McCain had a brain, and he doesn’t, he’d pick Sarah Palin. She is a real conservative (McCain’s not) and she could bring the women vote. I’m not holding my breath. If McCain had a brain, he wouldn’t be McCain.

orlandocajun on July 23, 2008 at 6:32 PM

1) Stupid question and irrelevant. But I’ll throw you a bone. No. Having said that I stand on my position that philosophy and ability is what the party should be looking for. Anyone in the position to be considered should have the skills to communicate his ideas. What he or she looks like, what race they are, or what sex they are should not matter.

2) The democrats hope so but if we had a half competent political party communicating the dire situation this country is in and the correct course and specific actions we need to take, I, unlike you, believe enough of the American people will hear.

Now, I said all of that in my previous posts, if you still don’t unbderstand my answer I can’t help you. Don’t pull that weaselly “you won’t answer” crap on me again. That’s a sure sign of a liberal lean and right after playing the race card, that’s one of the more detestable and pathetic debate tactics.

peacenprosperity on July 23, 2008 at 6:36 PM

I wanna punch that guy who said Dr. Condoleezza Rice was a product of affirmative action.

(I think it’s illustrative that more comments condemn his stupidty than repeat it. She is called worse all the time over at huffpo, Kos, etc.)

She grew up in an era and area where it was not-so-cool to be black. On some days, it was downright death-defying.

Her tenure as Secretary of State has been uninspired..at best. But, she has been no more of a disappointment than the Congress, the Prez, his aides, the RNC and our current candidate. Lumping her in with Colin Powell is a bit of a stretch too.

She’s a team player, she just doesn’t play very well…in politics. I look forward to being a fan of hers elsewhere in life.

The Race Card on July 23, 2008 at 6:49 PM

Then we agree. Unfortunately, your answer to #2 contains one too many if’s. We don’t have a half competent political party to get that important message out. If we did, we wouldn’t be staring at a McCain ticket. Now on to the meat of the issue: given a pool of similarly qualified VP candidates, all of whom will be primarily useful to shore up your conservative credentials, I don’t think it’s necessarily a bad strategy to choose the one who will take some of the wind out of your opponent’s sails vis-a-vis offering a sharp visual and/or demographic contrast to a public who will be voting at least partially based on those criteria.

steadyrock on July 23, 2008 at 6:49 PM

Newt is so edgy. I am waiting for him to refer to “social climate change.”

The Race Card on July 23, 2008 at 6:52 PM

Unfortunately, your answer to #2 contains one too many if’s

No, my answer to number two is the only way we are going to ever get competent people in government. We turn the race into beauty contest and we’re done, which I’m not so sure is the case already. The left has the media, they will always have a better looking candidate because the media will tell the public he is better looking. As hard as they try, they can not shut out the candidates they are opposed to and they cannot ignore the message. They will downplay it but even muffled it will get through.

Every reasonable liberal I know lives thier lives in a conservative manner and raises thier children by conservative values. We get the message out and we will get enough of them on our side. That’s what Reagan democrats were.

peacenprosperity on July 23, 2008 at 6:59 PM

okonkolo on July 23, 2008 at 5:51 PM

I guess I’m just so used to Republican officials being bogusly investigated by vindictive Dems all the damn time that it just doesn’t bother me any more. Shows me she’s ready for Waxman, is all.

aero on July 23, 2008 at 7:07 PM

I’ve never said that we should change the message, nor that we should not try and get it out. To the contrary, my point has been that if fence-sitting liberal leaners want to listen to somebody who they also like to look at, why not give them somebody who subscribes to our message, who can be useful to get it out, and is also easy to look at? I believe we may have such a person already.

steadyrock on July 23, 2008 at 7:09 PM

Will someone tell this fat-@ss jackoff idiot that he is not in office anymore because he resigned in disgrace, and to shut the f$ck up?

revolution on July 23, 2008 at 7:13 PM

The Race Card on July 23, 2008 at 6:49 PM

I agree, except for the punching part. Condi is, clearly, smarter than most on the political stage or in her field (not that that’s really saying much). She is, however, a liberal at heart and has been a dreadful SecState. In particular, her dealings with Russia have been pitiful. I was extremely disappointed, as I used to really like Condi when she the NSA, but it was because I was assuming thoughts came from her that, evidently, came from elsewhere in the administration (probably Cheney or Rumsfeld). But I don’t think it was AA that got Condi to her position.

progressoverpeace on July 23, 2008 at 7:14 PM

I used to really like Condi

If she wants to continue in public office, and is just being very effective at hiding her intentions, Condi needs to go to california and run for governor. Any race for her will be vicious and she will show her mettle if she can handle it. Then, once in an executive position, she can show us what she believs in. I’m like you, 4 years ago I was looking for a Condi in 08 bumper sticker but not anymore. She got worked by the entrenched state department leftists like Bolton never would have.

peacenprosperity on July 23, 2008 at 7:24 PM

For those freaking out about identity politics, calm down. We haven’t lost our minds. 99% of us hoping for a non-white guy choice don’t want to compromise the quality of the choice at all just for the sake of having a non-white guy on the ticket. Do you seriously think that there are no women or minorities in the Republican party who can do the job as well as the white guys on the list? Not a one worthy of taking the spot instead of a white guy? If so, perhaps the liberals are right about the Republican party being full of prejudiced neanderthals.

Of the choices I’ve seen floated for McCain’s VP, I honestly and truly think Palin is his winningest choice because she is so outspokenly, passionately in favor of drilling and increased domestic energy production. That’s what’s most important in this election, and she’s the one governor saying it to any camera or microphone she can get in front of. She’s the right candidate for this race, and she would still have been the best choice if she had been an old white guy, too. It’s just an image bonus in this election for her also to be female and younger than McCain.

For the billionth time, it’s the undecideds who will choose our president, not us partisans. If there were two candidates who were perfectly equal in every way except for the fact that one is a female or minority, then yeah I’m pretty convinced that the female or minority on the ticket would absolutely help these undecideds choose the (R) option in November more than the two-white-guys ticket would. It helps assuage the guilt for not choosing the black guy.

aero on July 23, 2008 at 7:27 PM

aero on July 23, 2008 at 7:27 PM

We are also a more diverse society. At some point the Republican Party is going to having to reflect that.

terryannonline on July 23, 2008 at 7:35 PM

PALIN!

winged on July 23, 2008 at 7:37 PM

Yup. I was with you, there.

peacenprosperity on July 23, 2008 at 7:24 PM

I don’t think she got infected by State. I think that’s just how she is. Disappointing.

progressoverpeace on July 23, 2008 at 7:41 PM

Why do you guys keep using liberal debating tactics? This arguement started because of gingrich saying we shouldn’t nominate a “boring white guy”. Most on this thread are for credentials and ability first and not picking a vp based on what the people on the other parties ticket looks like but a few are turning into a racial, sexist thing. That’s a BS liberal ploy anytime race or sex enters a conversation and they don’t agree. You should be ashamed of yourself for playing the race card.

Palin looks very impressive but a few years ago she was a mayor. She’s not even half way through her first term. We need a forceful, experienced candidate in the vp spot. After the conventions the msm will go after mccain and his vp full blast, it will get very ugly. If you think that just because barry isn’t experienced either the msm will lay off Palin you are delusional. They will go after her and emphasize mccains age.

But that wasn’t even what the arguement was about anyway. The arguement was whether the republicans should follow the democrats lead and put style ahead of substance. Then the race cards started flying.

peacenprosperity on July 23, 2008 at 7:47 PM

peacenprosperity on July 23, 2008 at 7:24 PM

If Condi is a conservative who bends under liberal pressure, then she’ll fit right in as the next Governor of California. Remember how Arnold was going to be a strong fiscal conservative, and “blow up the boxes in Sacramento”? Five years later, he hasn’t done squat and the state is in more of a crisis than ever before. The Sacto libs buried him just like you’re saying the state department libs did to her. The future looks very bleak for the Golden State; I honestly do not see a viable Republican contender here for 2010.

steadyrock on July 23, 2008 at 7:49 PM

That’s why I’m saying it’s where she can earn her conservative creds. She shows herself to be a liberal, fine. I won’t vote for her just because she was governor of california.

peacenprosperity on July 23, 2008 at 7:56 PM

We need a forceful, experienced candidate in the vp spot.

Actually we need that in a presidential candidate but it’s too late for that.

peacenprosperity on July 23, 2008 at 8:03 PM

Ollie North! FTW!

Chakra Hammer on July 23, 2008 at 8:05 PM

peacenprosperity on July 23, 2008 at 7:56 PM

If somebody can turn this toilet bowl state around and head it in a conservative direction, I’ll vote for them every chance I can get! It would truly be a Herculean task.

steadyrock on July 23, 2008 at 8:06 PM

Try thinking outside the box. Surely we can come up with someone who is not boring, is not white, is not a guy, and would help McCain with the conservative base, particularly those disagree with his stance on immigration reform.

agmartin on July 23, 2008 at 8:10 PM

Karl on July 23, 2008 at 4:05 PM

True. Unless the VP pick stagers the imagination and shakes Washington D.C to its foundation. There is one person who, if named as McCain’s V.P.,insures a landslide victory for the top of the ticket and make every contested seat a tossup. I’m talking about a candidate who’s ample hips support a wide and long coattail that will almost guarantee majorities in both chambers. Goodbye Harry. Goodbye Nancy. Hello Victory.

Most of you have guessed who I’m referring to. Some are wondering if I’m insane, on drugs, or just stirring the pot.
You be the judge. But just for a moment picture everyones face if McCain Said ‘Ladies and Gentlemen, My Friends, I’ve always said once a republican always a republican. Let me introduce my best friend in the Senate, Former Goldwater Girl, and my choice to be my running mate, Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton.

Then we can change the party symbol from an elephant to a Rhinoceros.

meci on July 23, 2008 at 8:10 PM

meci on July 23, 2008 at 8:10 PM

LOL!

McCain/Clinton ’08

terryannonline on July 23, 2008 at 8:15 PM

terryannonline on July 23, 2008 at 7:35 PM

You are correct. This thread is the very first time I have ever genuinely gotten the sense that many Republicans really don’t think a woman or minority could be as qualified as a white guy to do an important job. I’m no feminist — not by a long shot. But I’m feeling highly indignant right now that so many people I otherwise like and respect here at Hot Air honestly think that the only way a woman or minority could make it on the ticket is as an “affirmative action hire.”

aero on July 23, 2008 at 8:15 PM

agmartin on July 23, 2008 at 8:10 PM

Michelle Malkin. :-)

baldilocks on July 23, 2008 at 8:19 PM

aero on July 23, 2008 at 7:27 PM

Well-stated – if Palin were a 65-year-old ugly white guy who happened to be at 80% popularity in his state, had great social and ideological conservative credentials, and was a leader on energy and clean government, damn straight HE’d have his partisans for VP. At a certain point, some of the anti-Palin types here are engaging in reverse discrimination. They’re so against identity politics that they won’t be satisfied by any pick that isn’t a complete repudiation of identity politics.

You know what? They have a point. Identity politics is a social disease, and worth fighting against – but it’s just one issue among many. Still, this thread is about Newt’s not very respectably phrased observation, and people like him making the shallow identity political argument for Palin may do her more harm than good.

CK MacLeod on July 23, 2008 at 8:25 PM