VP watch: McCain might hold unscheduled event today in New Hampshire; Report: Mitt’s the pick? Update: Not this week?

posted at 11:50 am on July 22, 2008 by Allahpundit

Seems thin.

But let’s look at the clues: McCain tomorrow is holding a town hall near Mitt Romney’s vacation home in New Hampshire, and reporters on the trail this week with McCain have been put on notice that there might be an additional event tomorrow. Key word there: “might.”… The setting, after all, would be special for McCain — New Hampshire is the state that raised the onetime underdog’s campaign from the dead, not once but twice. And, bingo, McCain would probably lead the evening newscasts tomorrow. Not a bad scenario for a campaign openly frustrated with the news media’s fascination with Obama’s trip overseas.

Jonathan Alter, who’s traveling with McCain in New Hampshire, is skeptical, as am I for the simple reason that he’s meeting with Jindal tomorrow. If Mitt’s the pick and the goal is to wring maximum buzz out of the VP speculation, he should meet with Jindal first and let the media go nuts speculating that Jindal’s about to be named. Then, when he isn’t, announce another unscheduled event for later in the week and name Romney there. Two or three days of press coverage for the price of one!

CNN says no decision has been made but the list has “narrowed.” One important detail I forgot to mention in yesterday’s VP post: Mitt’s in the process of eating $45 million in campaign debt to clear his way for the ticket. $45 million. Why would a businessman as savvy as Romney consider taking a bath like that if he hadn’t already been promised the VP spot?

Update: Grain of salt, but My Man Mitt says Romney it is.

Update: Both Mitt and Cindy McCain are evidently out of the country this week, so if he is the pick, don’t hold your breath for an announcement.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Guys,

Stop feed the troll Satan Olaf. Every time Mitt comes up, he jumps in with his trolling for a religious argument.

Just ignore the POS.

That will make the majority of us happy if he is ignored and he will eventually go away. DONT FEED THE TROLLS!! Whaddya think….you think you are going to win an argument with him and convert him or something? Dont be silly.

Better yet, ban the a-hole.

Roger Waters on July 22, 2008 at 6:51 PM

and that goes for Not-too-Bright as well.

Roger Waters on July 22, 2008 at 6:52 PM

Governor Sarah Palin would be an exciting pick that would generate alot of buzz. The more I am familiar with her the more I think she would be good.

winged on July 22, 2008 at 7:09 PM

Right2bright: Ah, so your problem is the same as it always was: God cannot and will not ever speak or choose anyone again. You believe all the answers are in the Bible for our day. Why, Moses never needed that revelation–wasn’t Abraham good enough? And certainly Noah could have found out about the flood from Adam….

Dude, you are intellectually incoherent. You preach a gospel of “only if I want to–I don’t care what God wants.” It is inconceivable to me that you would ever believe in a prophet unless he was dead.

If you pretend that The tanners are unbiased and the “real mormons” you are more gullible than the DailyKos–they make their living bashing the LDS church. Gee, looking to them is like asking the Obama campaign team for unbiased truth about McCain. The Tanners (UTLM) are known to be liars, they misquote and distort things, and have been caught repeatedly just flat out making things up. If you base your opinion on them, you are listening to liars.

You claim that any LDS leader, including Joseph Smith and Brigham Young, MUST satisfy your societal demands today. Very well, Jefferson owned slaves. Please denounce him now, as he was a contemporary of Joseph Smith. Many ministers openly called for the rape and murder of Mormons–should I reject Baptist theology because of those men of the cloth?

Luther was anti-semetic–surely a man of God wouldn’t be that! He was a child of Satan! Christ Himself was called a drunkard, child born out of wedlock, and that he was possessed with a devil. Sounds like your claims, right2bright! You would have fit right in, quite clearly. After all, there is just as much evidence for Joseph Smith’s calling by God as Christ.

I’ll ask you: where did God say no more prophets? Where did God say that He would never speak again?

More questions: If the Bible is all anyone needs, and your faith is based on the Bible, then don’t you worship the Bible and not God (since you reject any communication from God as not possible). If the Bible is all anyone needs, why is there over 2000 denominations–why aren’t we all “one Lord, One faith, one Baptism?” Which Bible is right–KJV, New World, the Catholic Bible, NIV, any of the numerous others? If you protestants are correct on your “grace alone” bit, then why doesn’t any early documents support it? Oh, I’m sorry–the heretic Gnostics did. Why are you risking your eternal salvation on a heretical doctrine?

Why don’t you think revelation is necessary to answer any of those questions? Here’s more: where did we come from? What’s “making your calling and election sure?” What happens to those who never heard of the gospel or had a chance? What “Meat” of the gospel did Paul mean, and do we have it? How would we know? Who are the bishops, and what authority do they have? Is it the Catholics, or what was the point of them, if Evangelical Protestants don’t have any? Why did Christ emphasize works so much if they don’t matter?

What about scripture that was lost–like the further sayings of Jesus that Luke mentions? What about what He taught to the apostles in the 40 days after His resurrection–that just doesn’t matter?

No revelation today means no answer to any of the above. And you claim I’m off base for thinking that just possibly, God could care enough about people today to want to answer those questions? Why do you think God doesn’t care about us? In a day of rising Atheist and other challenges to Christ, you mock and demean the very idea of God providing more evidence to support His own divinity. Smart, really smart.

Vanceone on July 22, 2008 at 7:20 PM

Still, I do like Palin and Romney. I just wish the anti-mormon bigotry would stop–including “I don’t care about the merits of Romney as a person–his Mormon faith automatically makes him suspect!”

Vanceone on July 22, 2008 at 7:43 PM

Vanceone on July 22, 2008 at 7:43 PM

Not everyone feels that way about Mormons or even Jews.

My best Bosses were both a Mormon and a Jewish man!

upinak on July 22, 2008 at 7:49 PM

I feel obligated to state that my dislike of Romney as VP has nothing to do with his religion. It’s a visceral uncertainty about him that turns me off – he reminds me too much of a used-car salesman. Slick, friendly, nice guy… but I don’t know if he’s trying to pull the woll over my eyes or not.

I don’t get the Mormon-hatred by other Christians. I figured they would rather have someone who believes in God in the office than an atheist (or Wiccan, or similar). I guess I’m quite mistaken.

Anna on July 22, 2008 at 7:55 PM

Anna on July 22, 2008 at 7:55 PM

Anna, I think many in here do not care about the religous aspect. I think most of us have Morals of some sort but when it comes down to it, we are all looking for someone who can carry their weight and do the right thing, not just pander to the masses.

Of course I may be speaking out of my own experiences, but not many have disagreed with me concerning this.

upinak on July 22, 2008 at 8:03 PM

Both Mitt and Cindy McCain are evidently out of the country this week

Hmmmm, I think the real story is here.

- The Cat

P.S.

Then have Fred make a speech, Huckabee go on Letterman, Giuliani speak at Ground Zero demanding something must get started, Tancredo do a Habitat Wall for America build, etc, and THEN name Palin.

P.P.S. Ron Paul can go fly a kite blimp.

MirCat on July 22, 2008 at 8:23 PM

upinak on July 22, 2008 at 8:03 PM

I getcha. And chort, I meant wool, not woll.

Anna on July 22, 2008 at 8:24 PM

Vanceone on July 22, 2008 at 7:43 PM

And as a Mormon Romney supporter, you feel that your 2,000 word posts defending the LDS faith is the best way to convince people that his faith should be ignored?

If you’d rather people consider his merits as a person, perhaps you would consider talking about such merits instead of a religious debate in a thread about potential VP picks?

Hollowpoint on July 22, 2008 at 8:28 PM

eaglesdontflock on July 22, 2008 at 12:12 PM

Wow, I must’ve missed the part where Fred was propped up by the RNC. I wish!

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on July 22, 2008 at 9:07 PM

Mitt campainged in my state and was, is, the best candidate hands down, but McCain and Huckleberry double teamed him out of the race . He is articulate, smart, has proven he can turn around a bad economic situation a couple of times, is a success outside of the public sector, things neither Mccain nor Obamba have any experience or track record at.

For those Christians that can’t vote for a Mormon I guess they would prefer a 1/2 Black Muslim. Stupid and sad.

dhunter on July 22, 2008 at 9:23 PM

Mitt is a flip-flopping loser. If McCain wants to win zero states, Romney is his man.

myamphibian on July 22, 2008 at 9:29 PM

McMaverick could just as easily announce Lieberman as his running mate in New Hampshire as anyone.

To ignore Mitts ample accomplishments in the public and private sector and label him a loser is stupid beyond words and brands the name caller as either 1.) a tool or 2.) a complete fool.

dhunter on July 22, 2008 at 9:59 PM

or both

Roger Waters on July 22, 2008 at 10:03 PM

Janice Rogers Brown!
Janice Rogers Brown!

Would love to see the democrats make excuses to tear her apart! Damn them! Yes, she’s a judge…a first for VP?!?!?

SouthernGent on July 22, 2008 at 10:27 PM

Anna on July 22, 2008 at 7:55 PM

We don’t have an atheist running so I’m not sure what makes you think we’d pick one over Mitt. I’d pick mormon heretic Mitt over abortionist scum “orthodox Christian” Obama any day though.

Darth Executor on July 22, 2008 at 10:54 PM

If it is announced that McCain might hold an even in New Hampshire today… How is it “unscheduled”?

seanrobins on July 23, 2008 at 7:26 AM

“orthodox Christian” Obama

I have never understood how any Christian remains a Christian in support of pre-born killing.

seanrobins on July 23, 2008 at 7:28 AM

Darth Executor on July 22, 2008 at 10:54 PM

The ‘or similar’ in paranthesis was supposed to cover any other religion that a mainstream Christian would find objectionable. Lazt typing, I know. The level of anti-Mormonism I see leads me to believe that some find the LDS to be more objectionable than even atheists. That is my opinion, though.

I would hope that you would pick a candidate based on his/her actions/beliefs about their office, not their religion. And I would pick Romney over Obama hands down every time, but it has nothing to do with whomever they worship in their spare time.

Anna on July 23, 2008 at 8:31 AM

Vanceone on July 22, 2008 at 7:20 PM

Well surprise, I think Jefferson was wrong for having slaves, and upon his death all were freed. But I do not hold Jefferson up as a prophet. He did what he did, write a wonderful text. Luther was an anti-Semite, and the reason you know this is that I informed you previously, and I denounce him for that. Luther never held himself up as being a prophet, he was a sinful man and stated such. And your attempt at accepting Smith and Young as meeting societal demands by molesting children and taking married women from their husbands as brides because a “revelation from God” said it was okay, is disgusting to me. You may defend (and embrace) child molesters, but I won’t.
How about this, you show me any proof that your “Mormon” civilizations existed. Any bones from great battles, any coins from these “civilizations” and I will begin to have a smidgen of belief.
No, the bible never said there would be no more prophets, but now where does it say that all the prophets will be selected on a seniority basis. Each of your prophets have been selected that way. Where are the prophets, like the bible, from the “common” people? A common LDS believer, one of great faith, can’t become a prophet.
Look at the system how a “prophet” is chosen. Did God choose them that way, seeing as you want to follow God’s path.

Vanceone on July 22, 2008 at 7:20 PM

No, I mock men who hold child molesters up as their prophets, I mock men who follow the stories of civilizations who never existed, I mock men who abhor a religion (Christians) that they beg to be recognized as, I mock men who think they will be a “god” on another planet with many wives, I mock men who follow a man who saw “God” through a seer stone, and I have pity on a man who had admitted that he would give his child daughter to a “prophet” if the prophet asked (as you admitted to me).
Think, step back and think, if your “prophet” came to you, a man, and said that God wanted you to give the prophet your 14 year old daughter for marriage and sex…you would do it.
Think again what kind of religion demands that of you, and what kind of brainwashing you have gone through to accept such an abhorrent idea.
You absolutely think and feel in your burning breast, that child molestation is acceptable…incredible.
Sit and pray about that…you will see why Mormon’s that think like you are not accepted in the mainstream.

right2bright on July 23, 2008 at 10:03 AM

Oh c’mon! Luther hated the Jews because they killed Jesus (himself a Jew)! Lutherans do not throw out Luther’s teachings because of this flaw! Luther opened the gates of Salvation as a gift of God by Grace through Faith and apart from Works. This doctrine, a central tenet of the Christian Church was spread to the masses by Luther and the Reformation.

It is always interesting to read a critique of my faith. One must posses my faith to understand it. If you don’t, you can’t… Those of us that do, understand that and although sometimes we become frustrated we are taught to be patient…

sabbott on July 23, 2008 at 10:36 AM

I’d personally like to see McCain pick a woman conservative for his running mate. If he did, I might be tempted to support him. I don’t think he will, however because he himself is not a conservative and lacks the boldness to do something significant to get back into this race. He is currently getting killed by Obama and unless he get’s his act together this race is over…

sabbott on July 23, 2008 at 10:38 AM

Romney is competent but dull pick. I like him more in the President spot. Romney would make a good VP though, but he will also doom McCain’s chances as well. Romney had plenty of chances to win and even with his money – it didnt do him much good. Clearly he doesnt bond or have an emotional attachment to people. I think politically he would be a bad choice, but functionally a good VP if he could get elected. winged on July 22, 2008 at 7:09 PM

Perfect analysis. A great VP but a lousy candidate. He would be a terrific Chief of Staff but that’s all I’d like to see. It would be a better use of his talents too.

A lot of the religious debate here misses the point about Mormonism. We Christians believe that people are free to believe what they want and God will sort things out in the end, only don’t lie about what you believe. If you believe in the existence of more than one God you’re not a Christian so quit calling yourself one. Christians are monotheist and until God pulls an Obama type flip flop and rewrites the Bible it’s going to stay that way.

Mojave Mark on July 23, 2008 at 10:55 AM

Right2bright still doesn’t get it.

As for Hollowpoint: I don’t chime in with my “2000 word posts” defending Mormonism until people like Right2bright, or more likely SaintOlaf and his ilk state that the tenents of my faith disqualify a person from being competent to hold office, and they cite the (obvious) fact that we don’t believe the same as they do. Well, duh–if we DID believe the same things, we would be them.

Right2bright:
As for physical evidences that the civilizations ever existed, I would point to the ruins in central America as the most likely spot. Do you deny the existence of the Maya, the Olmec, the Aztecs? Let’s see–the Mayan culture almost perfectly fits the setting of the Book of Mormon, down to even a potential name of a king in the book found on a stela. There’s a ton of evidence, you just stick your head in the sand and pull an Obama confronted with the success of the Surge.

A “common man” cannot be a prophet? Really? Let’s see–President Deiter F. Uchtdorf, second counselor, was a convert and an airline pilot for Luftshana. Elder Nelson was a heart surgeon. Seems pretty “common man” to me. Just like the prophets of old, who were called by God out of their everyday life. They never went to divinity school, unlike who you pay money to preach to you. Those people were called “Pharisees.”

You may mock, but as I recall, “fools mock, but they shall mourn.” God’s ways are not the same as your ways. I am not deceived one bit–my testimony is independant of what my leaders have said. It comes straight from God. After all, people always have mocked the followers of Jesus. He himself said so. If you cannot see how your tactics are the same as the pharisees, it is you that needs pity.

You claim that we have a low opinion of “Christians.” Depends on the Christian. I don’t have a high opinion of the SaintOlafs of the world, and considering the “Christian world” was the main persecutors of my faith, with pastors claiming God wanted people to rape and murder Mormons–is it any wonder? Any real Christian would never do that–but you seem to tacitly approve of it. Others here eagerly approve of it. If you label that as Christian, then fine, I don’t want it. If being Christian means having faith in Christ as your Savior, charity towards all, repenting of your sins, and remaining true to the faith, then we qualify. And we say that all who hold those tenets are Christian–whether they believe the same doctrines we do or not. We wish to have everyone a Christian, not say those who don’t believe as we do are doomed to hell. Which is the more Christlike attitude?

I wish I didn’t have to explain this stuff–but the coordinated attempts to smear any faith that isn’t their own is really offputting about evangelicals. It’s not just Mormons–Seventh Day Adventists, Jehovah’s Witnesses, and Catholics all share the same fate. As far as I can tell, Evangelicals as a rule think only Evangelical Christians are really Christian–everyone else is a cult somehow. Even Catholics are “the cult of the Pope.”

It’s a deplorable attitude.

Vanceone on July 23, 2008 at 2:08 PM

Right2bright:

Then I guess National Geographic, and most every other expert on ancient civilizations are bigots…better do your research away from the LDS. There is no independent study that has found any link to your “civilizations”, none. However their are many Mormon travel agencies that claim what you claim…book a trip, they sell out fast.

They never went to divinity school, unlike who you pay money to preach to you.

Better do a little research on your history…oops looks like a few LDS are paid after all. And now we know your hatred for Christians is because we support our leaders.

You claim that we have a low opinion of “Christians.” Depends on the Christian.

Not a claim, a fact written by you; better read your quote again, calling pastors pharisees.

It’s a deplorable attitude.

Vanceone on July 23, 2008 at 2:08 PM

Funny, you never quite getting around denouncing your prophets molesting children, and taking married women as brides…well you consider that “Christlike” I don’t.

And they waited in line for seniority, just like all the rest. They were placed in line, and when their number was called (like 31 flavors) they were there. That is what I meant (and you knew it). No one has been ever “chosen” out of the 12 million to be a prophet, only the ones who stood in line in Utah.

Any real Christian would never do that

My attack has been primarily against the prophets who have molested children. By the true record of the LDS. You defend that, I don’t and most any other Christian, or person of any faith would not defend that. Marrying another mans wife (and I am not talking about “sealing”) is wrong in any faith, but you defend it.
That is your right, you defend those actions, and I say Christ would not defend them.

Evangelicals as a rule think only Evangelical Christians are really Christian

And you think Mormon’s are the only true church, I don’t see your point. Why would I follow something I don’t believe is closest to the truth?
And why would I ever honor a child molester as a great prophet?…good writer, brilliant man, but hardly the voice of God.

right2bright on July 23, 2008 at 3:57 PM

Is this 1908 or 2008. I can’t believe the bigotry. Aren’t you guys sick of the religion debate?

eaglesdontflock on July 23, 2008 at 9:50 PM