Video: Matthews wants us to “think like our kids for once” and consider race … without really considering it?

posted at 5:10 pm on July 22, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

Just when people thought Chris Matthews couldn’t get any more in the tank for Barack Obama, he appears on the Tonight Show with Jay Leno to prove that nothing can limit his sycophancy for the Democratic candidate. In this clip, the supposed journalist tells Leno that he hopes people can “open up your heart” to that thrill up his leg — and that all of those geriatric racists don’t get in the way. No, I’m not kidding:

I hope for one thing when people go to vote: that they look at Barack’s background, that they look at the age of the two candidates, that they look at their abilities and really open up their hearts and say “what’s really good for my kids,” who don’t have any color awareness.

Kids don’t think about race.

Think like your kids for once.

Think the way they think.

It would be great if the older people in the country, the 70 year olds, the 80 year olds who are suspicious of change to say, “you know, why don’t I think the way my kids are thinking and think about the future.”

Whatever they decide, just open up your heart to this prospect of something different.

That’s what I hope we do.

Let’s deconstruct this. First, Matthews pretty clearly implies that anyone who doesn’t vote for Obama is doing so on the basis of race. However, the biggest reason Matthews can offer for an Obama vote is to open up our hearts to “something different”.  In other words, the most pressing reason Matthews supports Obama is not for his policies or his experience, but because he’s “different”.

At best, that’s an extremely shallow reason, and at worst, well …

But there’s another level of stupidity here.  “Think like your kids for once.  Think the way they think.”  So we should all think like eight-year-olds when we choose our leaders?  That certainly explains Matthews’ shallowness.  I’d prefer that people think like adults and inform themselves on the choices.  That would be the responsible path to voting, which is to say mature, which avoids such notions as picking (or opposing) candidates for their ethnicity or gender, or favoring Matthews’ favorite leg-thrill because it would be neato and super-cool to have Obama in the White House.

“That’s what I hope we do.”  Matthews is being dishonest here.  He hopes people vote for Barack Obama, but he doesn’t have the courage to say that on national TV.  Instead, he offers perhaps the most facile and vapid endorsement ever uttered by a media personality, and makes himself an even bigger joke than ever. (via Daily Kos)

Comments

Chrissy & Odorman are a tag team. One beats up McCain, the other kisses up BO.

jgapinoy on July 22, 2008 at 10:22 PM

SO many grown men willing to give up their virginity for Barry.

What a pathetic sight.

benrand on July 22, 2008 at 11:23 PM

Hi, I’m Chris Matthews and I’m a pimp for Barack Obama.

GarandFan on July 22, 2008 at 11:32 PM

Chris Matthews channels Robert Plant channeling Robert Johnson:

Squeeze me baby, till the juice runs down my leg.
The way you squeeze my lemon, I’m gonna fall right out of bed.

Shivas Irons on July 22, 2008 at 11:41 PM

Chris “Legasms” Matthews is an agist it would seem.

Gatordoug on July 22, 2008 at 11:46 PM

SO many grown men willing to give up their virginity for Barry.

benrand on July 22, 2008 at 11:23 PM

Eh…I don’t think Chrissy Legasm’s stinker is virginal.

Jaibones on July 23, 2008 at 12:09 AM

WTF was that? Is he working for Obama now?

Woooo Nelly.

Does anyone think that Matthews could pass a drug test?

iam7545 on July 23, 2008 at 12:29 AM

In other words, we’ll be more likely to vote for Obama if we’re like children. Um, Chris didn’t really parse that out before he said it, I guess. Just like the rest of the gobbledegook he spouts.

JimC on July 23, 2008 at 3:04 AM

Whatever you do go to the polls without engaging in any critical thinking whatsoever. Go with The Force, er ah, your feelings. Don’t think. Feel. There. Doesn’t that “feel good?”

{+_+}

herself on July 23, 2008 at 3:19 AM

Chrissie’s home state (and mine) is Pennsylvania. Two years ago Lynn Swann ran to be our state’s first black governor. He lost by 20% to Ed Rendell. I didn’t hear Matthews urging his fellow Pennsylvanians to vote for Swann. I didn’t hear him call on the voters of Maryland and Ohio to vote for Michael Steele and Ken Blackwell respectively. There were no accusations of racism by Matthews after all three lost.
Swann, Steele and Blackwell are, of course, all Republicans.

If this year’s presidential election was contested by, let’s say, John Edwards and JC Watts, does anyone seriously think that Matthews would support Watts?

infidel65 on July 23, 2008 at 4:31 AM

Yeah Chrissy let’s think like kids and not consider race,
er or taxes, putting groceries on the table, getting people to the doctor, paying the mortgage, and on and on.
Would someone please put a sock in this guy’s pie hole?
He makes me sick.

elifino on July 23, 2008 at 6:18 AM

Chrissy Matthews is getting very desperate, he knows his messiah is a loser.

It is amazing that despite the very best efforts of the “Pearl necklace” MSM Obama is tied with McCain and fading. The situation says much more about the MSM then it does about Obama. It means that only ones buying the shinola out of the MSM are the moonbats. And for an arrogant empty suit like Obama the only way he can win is to “Vogue” his way into office.

It also reinforces my observations that Obama will only get the nomination if the DNC manages to block Hillary’s name from being placed in nomination and the DNC can keep many of the superdelegates from walking out with Hillary’s delegates. It would be hilarious if they did not have enough delegates to nominate Obama and a half empty convention hall.

Nahanni on July 23, 2008 at 6:36 AM

1Cr 13:11 When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.

abcurtis on July 23, 2008 at 8:59 AM

Swann, Steele and Blackwell are, of course, all Republicans.

infidel65 on July 23, 2008 at 4:31 AM

Outstanding comment. For all of the white liberals and black race-based voters who claim that Obama represents the rarest of opportunities for blacks to support one of La Raza, I offer any of the black conservatives who have run for national office, without any visible support from the brotherhood or the pansy white liberal media types wringing their hands over the spectre of racism keeping them from achieving a brave new world where we can all think like our children.

I hope for the sake of Chris’s children that they think more clearly than he does.

Jaibones on July 23, 2008 at 8:59 AM

My kid hates Obama, and so do I.

winemkr on July 23, 2008 at 9:01 AM

despite the very best efforts of the “Pearl necklace” MSM

Nahanni on July 23, 2008 at 6:36 AM

Heh.

Jaibones on July 23, 2008 at 9:01 AM

My kid hates Obama, and so do I.

winemkr on July 23, 2008 at 9:01 AM

Ditto

Jaibones on July 23, 2008 at 9:02 AM

Chrissy is going so far off the track, I wonder if his position is in jeopardy.
The remarks he is making is, well, just juvenile…he may be the first journalist victim of Obama’s campaign.

right2bright on July 23, 2008 at 9:03 AM

My dad is 90 and my mom is 88, and they are for Obama. Dad was explaining to a visitor that “I haven’t decided yet.” I went to get another beer.

mymanpotsandpans on July 23, 2008 at 9:12 AM

I think Matthews knows Obama is probably going to lose this election, so he’s going into overdrive on the shilling.

It comes across as creepy and desperate. These media folks wetting themselves over Obama is going to help McCain. The public just does not trust these guys – and for good reason.

forest on July 23, 2008 at 9:14 AM

Hey, don’t most kids admire war heroes? Of course they do. We should all follow Chris’s lead and vote as our inner child would.

jackmac on July 23, 2008 at 9:18 AM

Kids don’t see race? Well, a lot of adults don’t see race either, but they get irritated as all get out being reminded like a child that they shouldn’t see something that they’re already not seeing!

I don’t give a crap about Obama’s level of melanin. I care that he’s a senator that has spent exactly 15 minutes in the Senate and seemingly doesn’t have a clue as to how to operate in the big leagues.

Chris, change for change’s sake is also childlike. Just because something is new and shiney doesn’t mean that it’s valuable. What exactly are those changes and the projected fallout? What exactly are his policies and how will it effect us nationally and on the world stage? How will his lack of experience play out? What mistakes are we to suffer because he really doesn’t know what he’s doing?

THAT is what matters. That is what has always mattered, regardless of someone’s gender or ethnicity. And for the record, I’m really tired being looked at as a racist because I’m not on the change train.

Open my heart? My heart is open. I had no horse in this race this election cycle. Didn’t know the guy at all, was completely willing to hear his case. Then his wife opened her mouth about being proud for the first time, and my eyebrows went up, and it hasn’t gotten any better since then.

I’m not voting for Obama because I’m not an idiot and it takes more than a slogan to move me in the voting booth. I stopped being wooed by the pretty words of men decades ago. And what I’ve seen of his political stance, I’m not thrilled with. As an adult, not a child, I need more than a promise of a chicken in every pot. A child says “I want a chicken!” and an adult says “Who’s paying for that chicken, Junior?”

It’s politically immature and foolish to have your head turned by a well spoken politician. It’s like believing in the words of a used car salesman. They’re both selling you something. Know your product so you don’t get a lemon.

Bring on the multi-cultural policians, I welcome them. Bring on the women. Bring on anyone that has a political stand that I can get behind. I don’t care what they look like, I care about WHO they are and what they’re going to do for us.

Spare me childlike wonder, give me grown up competance.

GeeWhiz on July 23, 2008 at 9:29 AM

Howz about opening your mind?

What? Open you’re heart to a man who thinks we should kill live born boys and girls because the doctor goofed up the abortion. Some heart.

Mojave Mark on July 23, 2008 at 9:37 AM

Matthews’ Monty Python Moment:

And now for something completely different!

Al-Ozarka on July 23, 2008 at 10:08 AM

Good thing Matthews is impartial or he would be deadly

I would look at Barak’s background if you would stop standing in front of it

they look at the age of the two candidates

I can’t. That would be age discrimination. You guys made that illegal

that they look at their abilities

McCain could fly a plane. He was a POW so he has basic survival skills. I suspect McCain has a better handle on the number of states, the number of years in a Presidential term, and how many bombs attacked Pearl Harbor.

Obama can recite the islamic prayers flawlessly in arabic. That is a a skill. Despite his difficult childhood, Obama had the courage to vote to prevent resuscitating aborted babies who were born alive. He voted to cut off all funding for the Iraq war last year to protect the troops too.

Kids don’t think about race

The way to get old people off the race topic is to have them listen to a couple years of Rev. Wright tapes. It worked for Obama and it can work for all ages if they open their hearts

entagor on July 23, 2008 at 10:20 AM

If one is going to watch MSNBC for their news, then one is going to get dumber by the minute and have no-one to blame but one’s self!

sabbott on July 23, 2008 at 10:26 AM

It’s “The Death of the Grown-up”… indeed.

Logic on July 23, 2008 at 10:59 AM

Has anyone checked Chris for brain waves lately? Frankly, I’m worried.

jl on July 23, 2008 at 11:22 AM

MSNBC might survive if they ever get rid of leg tingling Pissy Chrissy, and Keith Overbite. Until then, that network is totally doomed for failure!

byteshredder on July 23, 2008 at 11:34 AM

Are you serious?

Glynn on July 22, 2008 at 7:30 PM

Dead serious & dead certain.

omnipotent on July 23, 2008 at 11:36 AM

translation: think like a child, vote Democrat.

foxforce91 on July 23, 2008 at 12:24 PM

I hate the Boomers.

VolMagic on July 22, 2008 at 5:24 PM
Worst…..Generation……….Evah

omnipotent on July 22, 2008 at 7:08 PM

Agreed. Look at what they’ve done to our culture? They made drugs “cool”, injected new strains of STD’s – some that are incurable – into the population, “broadened” the definition of art so now crap=art, they worship the Beatles, (sorry Boomers, there has been great music since and even better music at the time of the Beatles, and I’m quite frankly sick of still hearing them all over the radio!)they’ve been responsible for cancelling some of the best TV shows ever aired, (“Freaks & Geeks”) because they “didn’t get it”, they never shut up about how important they are, they simply can’t resist injecting their political views into EVERYTHING they create … the list goes on. The Greatest Generation blew the Boomers away. I would so much rather hang out with a “Greatest Generation” person than a Boomer any day of the week. But my generation (X) really never did much either.

foxforce91 on July 23, 2008 at 12:39 PM

I know it’s been a couple of months, but I still vomit a little in my mouth every time someone mentions chrissy’s “thrill up my leg” line.

Ann NY on July 23, 2008 at 12:39 PM

translation: think like a child, vote Democrat.

Isn’t that what we knew already?

Ann NY on July 23, 2008 at 12:41 PM

“Kids don’t think about race.” (Think again, Chrissy.)
“Think like your kids for once”. (Like you do, you puerile idiot?)
Think the way they think. (They’re right of center, but, no thanks, Motormouth. I prefer my 52 years over their 14 and 18 years).
The next part is the best:
“It would be great if the older people in the country, the 70 year olds, the 80 year olds who are suspicious of change to say, ‘you know, why don’t I think the way my kids are thinking and think about the future’.”
Logic would have it that even tho the older generation is stuck in the non-techno-age they know what works and what doesn’t. NObama as CIC won’t work, period.
Change is a given and since we all can help guide our future, I’d rather we pick someone who fought for his country and the freedom it represents. No empty brown shirts for me.

Christine on July 23, 2008 at 3:02 PM

What a sycophant tool…

electric-rascal on July 24, 2008 at 5:06 AM

Children? We’re supposed to elect a President, leader of the greatest country in the world and All States Free – by thinking like children?! That’s what got Obama to this point in the process!!! Childish behaviour! And the MainStream Media is positively, disgustingly immature and sophomoric in their adoration!

Affirmative action just doesn’t work. Merit. That’s how people should be hired or accepted or elected. Merit. Then again… If that were the guidance, we’d have a completely vacant Capitol Hill.

Completely empty…