Michelle Obama’s pledge: Barack will save all the children

posted at 7:57 am on July 22, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

Charles Krauthammer wrote last week about the enormous arrogance of Barack Obama, but even Krauthammer couldn’t imagine that the Obamas would claim to rescue all of the world’s children through their election.  Michelle Obama appeared in Colorado last week, the same time as Krauthammer wrote his column, and told the audience that she didn’t have time to get angry — but she wishes she did.  Why?  Well, let her tell you:

“We have one candidate who essentially is telling us every day that the world as it is just fine. That what we’ve been doing for the last eight years is fine,” Obama said. “Stay the course. Don’t make too many changes.

“And then we have this other candidate — Barack Obama — who is saying every day that the world as it is not right. It’s not good enough,” she said. …

“I wish we had time to be divided. I wish we had time to be upset. To be angry. To be disappointed. I wish we did,” Obama said. “Because if we had time for that, then things wouldn’t be so bad right now. Instead, we’re in a place where another four or eight years of the world as it is will devastate the life of some child.”

Which child is that?  And only one child? This is the kind of rhetoric that the Left loves to use, claiming that if just one person in the world is unhappy, then everything we do is wrong and entire systems have to be recreated to address it.  It’s Utopianism, an impulse that has led to the devastation of millions of lives, not just one.  The message intends to show the Obamas as more caring than John McCain, vapid enough without the silliness of arguing that McCain doesn’t want to change anything at all.

So now we can add “save the children” to the other Obama campaign promises, like “heal the oceans” that more than just hint at arrogance.  And it isn’t just conservatives noticing that stench of hubris, either.  Joan Venocchi, no conservative apologist, vented her spleen over the egotistical self-centeredness of Obama in Sunday’s Boston Globe:

Barack Obama always was a larger-than-life candidate with a healthy ego. Now he’s turning into the A-Rod of politics. It’s all about him.

He’s giving his opponent something other than issues to attack him on: narcissism.

A convention hall isn’t good enough for the presumptive Democratic nominee. He plans to deliver his acceptance speech in the 75,000 seat stadium where the Denver Broncos play. Before a vote is cast, he’s embarking on a foreign policy tour that will use cheering Europeans – and America’s top news anchors – as extras in his campaign. What do you expect from a candidate who already auditioned a quasi-presidential seal with the Latin inscription, “Vero possumus” – “Yes, we can”?

Pundits used to call Bill Clinton The Big Me, but Obama has begun to make Bill look positively humble in comparison.  One wonders when Obama will begin wearing a red cape on the dais.  (image courtesy Jessica’s Well)

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Anyone else get the feeling that Michelle and Barack = Bonnie and Clyde?

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on July 22, 2008 at 11:30 AM

Blaspheme!

carbon_footprint on July 22, 2008 at 3:04 PM

A better analogy would be Mussolini and his mistress and we all know what their people ended up doing to them.

NoDonkey on July 22, 2008 at 3:08 PM

NoDonkey on July 22, 2008 at 3:08 PM

Fittingly enough, at a gas station, no less.

BillH on July 22, 2008 at 3:53 PM

Is it just me or does it seem that America is choosing a Ceaser this time?
If we continue to follow the history look for BHO to shut down speech like Chevez, take over the natural resourses, build his own “special army” with commond over the regualr army etc (possibly UN troops or “mexician nationals”). BHO and M?O want to make this a poor vs rich race.

McCain must take some of those poor votes. He must pander to them to otherwise will be a lose in nov.

unseen on July 22, 2008 at 4:33 PM

Is there anything Obama can’t do? Haha.

DanStark on July 22, 2008 at 4:38 PM

This may be slightly OT, but last week I spotted a fascinating bumper sticker, it read:

“1/20/09 No more tears”.

I don’t know who printed it or what message they wanted to convey but the first thing I thought of was Revelation 21:4, “And God will wipe away every tear…”
Could Senator Obama regards himself that highly.?

oldleprechaun on July 22, 2008 at 4:57 PM

“1/20/09 No more tears”.

They were quoting a baby shampoo slogan, fittingly enough.

NoDonkey on July 22, 2008 at 4:59 PM

Good send that other Candidate Barack Obama to Mars! See if he likes it there! >:D

Obama can have Mars all to himself.

Chakra Hammer on July 22, 2008 at 5:10 PM

Aww, heck. I’ll put it away in my box labeled, “Emotional election drivel hurled at us by the Obamas” and then forget about it.

AbaddonsReign on July 22, 2008 at 5:30 PM

Some child’s life will be devastated if his/her parents can’t afford to heat their house this winter. Will Michelle’s Savior of the World let us drill for oil and natural gas?

Steve Z on July 22, 2008 at 6:13 PM

And comedians complain that there’s nothing to make fun of in Obama?! Seriously?

aero on July 22, 2008 at 6:20 PM

What about the children living in the rat-infested tenements that Barack’s buddies built in Chicago, with Illinois State funds Barack earmarked for them? Why didn’t Saint Barry O rescue them from the barrio? (That’s Spanish for “slum”, since Barry O doesn’t know that).

No, no puedes! (no you can’t!)

Steve Z on July 22, 2008 at 6:21 PM

What world does this negative lunatic live in? She’s never been proud of this “downright mean” country, etc. etc. Seriously, do we live on the same planet?

By the way… how tough are times when that Batman movie just had a record shattering opening weekend? You’re telling me that we’re all starving… yet millions of people filled their cars up with $4 gas, drove to a movie theater and paid $10 per ticket to sit in sticky uncomfortable chair for a couple of hours, and probably eat some gross and insanely overpriced food.

I recall a few years back when I was listening to Drudge Radio (a show I miss a lot), Drudge was railing against Streisand from some “sky is falling” nonsense she put up on her website… while Meet the Fockers was breaking comedy box office records. Idiots.

RightWinged on July 22, 2008 at 6:24 PM

I find myself wondering how she ever got through the normal processes of accomplishing anything

You can bet money affirmative action helped.

peacenprosperity on July 22, 2008 at 7:02 PM

Yes and on weekends when Obama as some spare time he will walk on water heal the sick and part the red sea and yes even raise the dead .(WHAT A GUY) Anybody that does not vote for Obama is just down right stupid.

thmcbb on July 22, 2008 at 7:35 PM

Anyone else get the feeling that Michelle and Barack = Bonnie and Clyde?
Dr.Cwac.Cwac on July 22, 2008 at 11:30 AM

More like AHAB and JEZEBEL
1 Kings 16: 30-32

shooter on July 22, 2008 at 7:40 PM

So, Ed… are you saying Michelle is for “no child left behind?”

MsUnderestimated on July 22, 2008 at 7:47 PM

Inartfull distractions that won’t bag the mail and help Michelle’s kids…um, ah, ah, uuummm, well. This just in from the AP…”God to initiate the rapture…women, children, and minorities hardest hit”.

Wyznowski on July 22, 2008 at 8:26 PM

Has Michelle O spoken out against Mugabe yet?

- The Cat

MirCat on July 22, 2008 at 8:41 PM

The eternal cry of the leftist: If they just had enough power, they could fix the world’s problems, and the only reasons conservatives don’t is because they’re evil. When reality intrudes on their ideal, their only response is to demand yet more power.

Socratease on July 23, 2008 at 12:56 AM

Nothing devastates the life of a child than abortion, madam.
And your husband is for it.

’nuff said

ToddonCapeCod on July 23, 2008 at 1:13 AM

I thought UNICEF was already saving the children. What gives, Mrs. Obama?

SouthernGent on July 23, 2008 at 1:22 AM

The artwork for this piece is appropriate, EXCEPT, the Obamaman’s face needs to have been photoshopped onto GOD reaching down from the clouds to touch adam.

Right?

Obamassiah?

themistocles on July 23, 2008 at 6:49 AM

Correction, Mrs. Obama – America with 4 (or, God help us, 8) years of you and your Amazing Reformer of a Husband, will more than likely devastate my child when we are taxed beyond our middle class means and less able to save for his college education; when we are “disincentivized” to build up our personal future because we know that so much of it will never reach our sole heir because of your husband’s redistributionist tendencies that will snatch up in estate taxes such a large portion of what we’ve saved; when my son is forced to see a military he currently admires demoralized by the defeatist tactics that plagued it after it left his mother’s homeland of Vietnam without getting the job done; and when the types of judges your husband will appoint do an end-run around voter preferences and priorities in favor of their biased view of constitutionality.

How’s that for devastation??

Captain Scarlet on July 23, 2008 at 6:57 AM

You with your hesitating
And you always contemplating
What to do
When heaven has found you
Can’t you see
That it’s all wrapped up in the Messiah that’s me
So follow me

Come on, voters
I’m Obama the Piper
I’m Obama the Piper
And I’ll show you where Hope and Change is at
Come on, voters
Can’t you see
I’m Obama the Piper
Trust in me

Voters
Don’t be scared to into the White House to help me move
Hey, voters
What do you think I’m tryin’ to prove
It ain’t true
That My Michelle would like to punch and kick you
It’s just in your mind
And that’s all that’s trickin’ you
So step in line

Come on, voters
Come on, voters
Trust in me
Come on, voters
Can’t you see
Come on, voters
I’m Obama the Piper

MB4 on July 23, 2008 at 12:52 PM

themistocles on July 23, 2008 at 6:49 AM

it is. look closer.

TheCulturalist on July 24, 2008 at 12:41 AM

MB4 on July 23, 2008 at 12:52 PM

You write all these yourself?

JetBoy on July 27, 2008 at 3:54 PM