Bob Novak: I may have been suckered by the McCain camp on the VP rumors

posted at 4:43 pm on July 22, 2008 by Allahpundit

False alarm on the buzz? Maybe not: U.S. News & World Report hears that Maverick’s got a fee-vah and the only prescription is more Mitt Romney.

Comments

It’s possible that the Romney rumors were just a trial balloon that the McCain camp floated out to test the waters. In which case, let’s hope he’s got a Palin up his sleeve.

MB007 on July 22, 2008 at 4:45 PM

I got to tell you, I would trust Novak about as far as I could throw my car. I mean that.

Terrye on July 22, 2008 at 4:46 PM

So one of the worst for the job was the best candidate for Pres, and now one of the best for either job is going to be the worst candidate, and the one that sinks the campaign.

Uff.

Hannibal Smith on July 22, 2008 at 4:46 PM

This is good, I don’t want to hear about McCain’s VP till AFTER the Democrat convention. It’s the strategically right thing to do.

DanStark on July 22, 2008 at 4:47 PM

I just wish McCain would pick … get the snideness out of the way and move on!

upinak on July 22, 2008 at 4:47 PM

go Mitt

trailortrash on July 22, 2008 at 4:47 PM

Just say “no” to Romney!

It’s gonna be Crist. I’m absolutely convinced.

“Shabby operation”? You’re the one who jumped the gun, Novak.

JetBoy on July 22, 2008 at 4:50 PM

Or to take some of the buzz off the Obama we are the world tour.

Really worked, didn’t it?

SteveMG on July 22, 2008 at 4:51 PM

Which tells me that maybe McCain isnt interested in Mitt ?

William Amos on July 22, 2008 at 4:51 PM

I think Novak should shut the heck up and think before he goes out with a scoop that doesn’t turn out to be right, IMHO.

newton on July 22, 2008 at 4:52 PM

Terrye on July 22, 2008 at 4:46 PM

I didn’t believe it either when I saw the post “Novak: McCain to name VP this week”

Brat on July 22, 2008 at 4:52 PM

Palin, though there just isn’t anyone talking about her at all.

Bishop on July 22, 2008 at 4:52 PM

I’m with DanStark in hoping the VP nominee will not be named until after the Dem convention. I also hope that Sen. McCain’s camp will not get into a spat with Robert Novak. We don’t need hostility between our nominee and a prominent conservative writer.

Jill1066 on July 22, 2008 at 4:52 PM

If it was a trial balloon, its one that sank rather quickly. ‘Mitt for VP’ might make Mitt’s campaign people happy, but that’s about it. For everyone else—ZZZZZZZZZZZ

james23 on July 22, 2008 at 4:54 PM

Never liked Novak and don’t trust him.

amerpundit on July 22, 2008 at 4:54 PM

Bishop on July 22, 2008 at 4:52 PM

You need to meet upinak. Although his problem is that she is the only thing he can talk about.

BigD on July 22, 2008 at 4:54 PM

Breaking News: McCain has picked… I have no idea!

I think the best thing McCain can do is not to announce a VP pick until after Obama has announced his. It gives McCain time to vet candidates through careful background checks, with little possibility of an embarrassment.

Plus, if McCain picks the right one after Obama, it sucks the air right out of any Obama VP announcement and then some.

newton on July 22, 2008 at 4:55 PM

Reprehensible!

doodleduh on July 22, 2008 at 4:55 PM

Why not build up the suspense and name VP at the Convention

jp on July 22, 2008 at 4:57 PM

It’s gonna be Crist. I’m absolutely convinced.

JetBoy on July 22, 2008 at 4:50 PM

Why McCain would choose that arrogant, overtanned lout I don’t know.

There’s no point in putting all of your oranges in one basket.

MB007 on July 22, 2008 at 4:58 PM

Novak seems like a whiner to me. He also looks shifty. I wouldn’t trust a thing coming out of his mouth.

diaphanous on July 22, 2008 at 4:58 PM

That damn Karl Rove!

wildweasel on July 22, 2008 at 5:02 PM

jp on July 22, 2008 at 4:57 PM

That is what I was thinking. The buzz of announcing Romney would dwarf anything Obama can pull off. Obama is already the star, there is not any room for another personality on the Democrat ticket.

Also it would energize McCain’s campaign and fundraising. I hope he does not pull the trigger in respoonse to Obama’s trip, that would be a mistake.

Theworldisnotenough on July 22, 2008 at 5:03 PM

BigD on July 22, 2008 at 4:54 PM

Ah, pronoun trouble. Upinak isn’t a “he,” I don’t think.

Tanya on July 22, 2008 at 5:08 PM

Tanya on July 22, 2008 at 5:08 PM

Does it matter? This woman already apologized on the other thread, but hey at least I was the bigger person.

On to other things.

upinak on July 22, 2008 at 5:09 PM

Not to me, no. I just couldn’t figure out who BigD meant by “he.” I thought he was still talking about McCain.

Tanya on July 22, 2008 at 5:12 PM

upinak on July 22, 2008 at 5:09 PM

Upinak — you’re a liar and you’re nuts.

BigD on July 22, 2008 at 5:13 PM

BigD on July 22, 2008 at 5:13 PM

Please ladies don’t start again.

On topic: Novak is a gossip monger, see “Valerie Plame”

Brat on July 22, 2008 at 5:15 PM

Whoa. Backing away slowly.

Whatever happened in another thread, I missed it. Sorry if I restarted something.

Tanya on July 22, 2008 at 5:16 PM

Terrye on July 22, 2008 at 4:46 PM

newton on July 22, 2008 at 4:52 PM

I’m not sure what you all are suggesting. Are you implying that Novak was NOT told by a very senior McCain staffer the things that he reported, and that he lied about his follow-up as well?

Why would you put any blame here, at all, on Novak, who ostensibly reported what was fed to him? That’s what reporters do.

DaveS on July 22, 2008 at 5:17 PM

Upinak — you’re a liar and you’re nuts.

BigD on July 22, 2008 at 5:13 PM

might want to go check there. I am not lying.. I posted it about 10 minutes ago.

upinak on July 22, 2008 at 5:20 PM

Brat on July 22, 2008 at 5:15 PM

np ending it now.

upinak on July 22, 2008 at 5:20 PM

Brat on July 22, 2008 at 4:52 PM

Then you should take issue with Allahpundit, who wrote that headline. If you actually followed links and read the sources for yourself, you might have noticed that Novak’s headline was a bit more nuanced:

Sources Say McCain Veep Pick to Come This Week

DaveS on July 22, 2008 at 5:21 PM

DaveS on July 22, 2008 at 5:21 PM

Sources, schmources Novak’s column is gossip.

Brat on July 22, 2008 at 5:23 PM

Novak has an air of arrogance. Maybe McCain is or was going to announce the VP choice this week. Novak shouldn’t speculate what McCain camp’s intention is. What if they decide that they will not get the attention meriting a VP announcement?
He might be a good journalist, but don’t let it get to your head.

jencab on July 22, 2008 at 5:23 PM

Novak shouldn’t speculate what McCain camp’s intention is.

Um… he didn’t speculate what the McCain camp’s intentions were.

Good god, some of you people are really dense.

DaveS on July 22, 2008 at 5:25 PM

Better check with Armitage next time, Bob.

mojo on July 22, 2008 at 5:32 PM

I saw something somewhere a couple of days ago that said that ‘Team McCain’ had done some polling and that Romney on the ticket with McCain would hurt the ticket “big time”, which would presumable rule out Romney. But maybe that report was just another in an ever growing long list of “I may have been suckered”.

MB4 on July 22, 2008 at 5:35 PM

BigD on July 22, 2008 at 5:13 PM

upinak on July 22, 2008 at 5:09 PM

No way! I thought you two were bickering like a couple of women before.

peacenprosperity on July 22, 2008 at 5:41 PM

Same broadcasting personalities picking over bones for a new scoop. LOL, being “first” without verification leaves egg on Novak’s face. Maybe its poetic justice as he never got prosecuted for leaking the Plame name and Libby got scewered for having heard Novak’s rumor. If Novak’s whining about McCain running a cheap operation, Novak having suckered himself, he’s just a big titty baby who wants free milk with no obligation for the cow.

Jonathan Martin habitually published premature ejection of Fred Thompson from the POTUS primary, as well. Bad habit, jumping the gun. Lose face.

maverick muse on July 22, 2008 at 5:49 PM

“I may have been suckered”–Andrea Mitchell, David Gergen, Matt Drudge, et.al.

maverick muse on July 22, 2008 at 5:51 PM

Novak? Plame? Suckered?

It’s deja vu all over again…..

locomotivebreath1901 on July 22, 2008 at 5:52 PM

From the U.S. News story Allah linked to:

Significantly, the Democrats also believe that Romney is a front-runner and have been working up an opposition research file on the former Massachusetts governor ever since he endorsed McCain.

Right. It never occurred to them to do any research before then when he was running for President. Nope, it was the endorsement of McCain that piqued their curiosity. Sheesh.

But I do wonder what’s in there. Did he do something scandalous like drink a cup of coffee or something once upon a time?

Buy Danish on July 22, 2008 at 5:59 PM

It’s the dog in the kennel on the roof thing. It could backfire on the dems if Romney attracts the black cat vote.

peacenprosperity on July 22, 2008 at 6:01 PM

me thinks davids is having a bad day lol.

diaphanous on July 22, 2008 at 6:11 PM

Want some whine with your cheese, Novak? Seriously, Novak is usually pretty good IMO, but this is just whiny to me.

As to Mitt… I think he would be a good pick, but there is a downside to the Mormon thing. I’m an evangelical, and would vote for him. I’m thinking more along the lines of the Mormon history on race relations. Good oppo by Barry’s team could make a connection between some racially charged Mormon history and Mitt’s active participation in the Mormon church, let the media run with it, and McCain might never know what hit him.

cs89 on July 22, 2008 at 6:20 PM

cs89 on July 22, 2008 at 6:20 PM

Old story. Besides, who are they going to get to peddle the ridiculous idea that Mitt is a racist? Jesse “cut his balls off” Jackson?

Buy Danish on July 22, 2008 at 6:32 PM

Palin, though there just isn’t anyone talking about her at all.

Bishop on July 22, 2008 at 4:52 PM

Of course, no one in the media is going to talk about her, because no one in the media wants her on the ticket.

CurtZHP on July 22, 2008 at 6:34 PM

cs89 on July 22, 2008 at 6:20 PM

So choosing Romney, and he may lose the black vote?
The reason not to choose Romney is that he just doesn’t have that “it” factor, he doesn’t connect with the common man.
Palin has it, it is nothing anyone can really do about it.

right2bright on July 22, 2008 at 6:34 PM

Palin or Jindal.
Both are winners.

ArmyAunt on July 22, 2008 at 6:34 PM

right2bright on July 22, 2008 at 6:34 PM

Yeah, he’ll never get the green eyed monster vote.

Buy Danish on July 22, 2008 at 6:38 PM

DaveS:

I just don’t like Novak. I don’t trust him. Gossip monger and backstabber that he is.

Terrye on July 22, 2008 at 6:47 PM

McCain should wait to see who Barry O picks, and make his own pick as strategic foil Obama’s pick. Obama will have to make his pick at or before the Dem convention. Since that is before the GOP convention, McCain can wait.

McCain should avoid Romney. CS89 is right–the Mormon issue could hurt Romney, especially with the big hoopla over the polygamist sect in Texas with the 400+ children, which claims to be Latter-Day Saints, which is part of the official name of the Mormon church. Romney obviously has nothing to do with that, but what’s one more lie to Obama, if he can win the election?

I don’t trust Novak either! For somebody who claims to be conservative, his reporting that Plame’s identity was revealed to him by a “White House official” (when it was really Richard Armitage of the State Department) did a huge dis-service to the Bush White House. Joe Wilson’s op-ed in the New York Times was a pack of lies, including his claim to be sent by Vice-President Cheney, which the White House tried to debunk. By revealing Plame’s name and suggesting that it came from a “White House official”, Novak allowed the liars (Wilson/Plame) to cook up a witch-hunt and look lily-white, splashed across the pages of Vanity Fair as so-called whistle-blowers.

Bob Novak, you have the right to remain silent! Use it!

Steve Z on July 22, 2008 at 6:48 PM

Curt:

She is also from Alaska. Far away. No one talks about Hawaii either.

Terrye on July 22, 2008 at 6:49 PM

I think the Mitt rumors are a false trail being laid down by the McCain people, who have clearly decided that stirring up VP speculation is a way to get media attention (and/or test the reaction to Mitt as VP).

I wonder why there’s almost no speculation at all about Obama’s VP pick? Perhaps Obama doesn’t need a VP because He Is Perfect in Every Way and Will Live Forever. He seems too narcissistic to share the ticket with anyone else. I mean, he’s got his own “O” logo and everything!

aero on July 22, 2008 at 6:52 PM

Terrye on July 22, 2008 at 6:47 PM

He quotes people.

DaveS on July 22, 2008 at 6:53 PM

They’ll only go there if they are stupid. Romney’s family was in the lead in changing the Mormon church’s positions on race. It will backfire on them.

peacenprosperity on July 22, 2008 at 6:56 PM

Buy Danish on July 22, 2008 at 6:32 PM

It’s not a new story, and it didn’t take off during the primaries. I think that’s partly because of who Romney was running against in the primaries, e.g. old white guys. It could have legs as a story with Obama as the nominee. We’ve already seen the “race” issue thrown around quite a bit. I don’t think it would make a huge difference. But, with McCain trying to win by targeting the center, it could make enough of a difference with swing voters to push Obama over the top.

cs89 on July 22, 2008 at 6:57 PM

I wonder why there’s almost no speculation at all about Obama’s VP pick?

He’s picking a woman, his wife.

peacenprosperity on July 22, 2008 at 6:58 PM

Steve Z on July 22, 2008 at 6:48 PM

I don’t trust Novak either! … his reporting that Plame’s identity was revealed to him by a “White House official” (when it was really Richard Armitage of the State Department) did a huge dis-service to the Bush White House. … By revealing Plame’s name and suggesting that it came from a “White House official”, Novak allowed….

See, this is what I’m getting SO. FREAKING. TIRED. OF. on this site. There are so many people who have no clue what they are talking about, and who sort of just make up facts as they see fit, and will happily parrot them if it lets them get in some blind partisan talking points. About half of the people here have seriously sunk to the level of the Kossacks.

If you actually give a crap, Novak never said that the Plame bit came from a “White House official”. You just fabricated that, completely.

DaveS on July 22, 2008 at 6:58 PM

Who cares?

saved on July 22, 2008 at 6:59 PM

peacenprosperity on July 22, 2008 at 6:56 PM

I wasn’t aware of this. Do you have some links, or further information?

cs89 on July 22, 2008 at 6:59 PM

Two senior administration officials told me that Wilson’s wife suggested sending him to Niger to investigate the Italian report.

DaveS, the above quote is from your linked story. Are you seriously proposing that there is a significant difference between “two senior administration officials” and a “White House official?” Where do you think “administration officials” work?

cs89 on July 22, 2008 at 7:03 PM

cs89 on July 22, 2008 at 6:57 PM

Doubtful. Centrists are less likely to fall for Barry’s race baiting tactics strategy tactics.

I can’t decide which word to use because Barry thinks the surge is a tactic not a strategy. Or is it the other way around?

Buy Danish on July 22, 2008 at 7:06 PM

Yes. The Bush administration is the appointed political leadership of the entire executive branch. That’s why Novak said “administration official” rather than White House official… he was not talking to a White House official.

DaveS on July 22, 2008 at 7:15 PM

Let me flip this around… are you seriously proposing that Armitage, as Deputy Secretary of State, was not an administration official?

DaveS on July 22, 2008 at 7:16 PM

Bob Novak couldn’t find the truth if Dick Morris was sucking it off of a hooker’s toes.

The Race Card on July 22, 2008 at 7:25 PM

Why Mitt Romney:

Education:
- B.A. Brigham Young University, 1971
- J.D. Harvard University, 1975
- M.B.A. Harvard University, 1975

Political Experience:
- Governor of Massachusetts, 2003-2007

Professional Experience:
- Vice President, Bain and Company, Incorporated, 1978-1984
- CEO, Bain Capital, Incorporated, 1984-1998
- CEO, Bain and Company, Incorporated, 1991-1993
- President, Salt Lake Winter Olympics Organizing Committee, 1999-2002

Romney Vetoed More Than 800 Budget Line-Items (707 were overturned by the liberal Massachusetts Legislature)

- Romney convinced the unfriendly State Legislature to grant him unilateral power to make budget cuts in 2003
- Romney unveiled $343 million in cuts to cities, healthcare, and state agencies in 2003
- Romney successfully consolidated the social service and public health bureaucracy in 2003
- Romney eliminated half of the executive branch’s press positions, saving $1.2 million in 2003
- Romney successfully forced Medicaid recipients to make co-payments for some services in 2003
- Romney successfully pushed for legislation forcing new state workers to contribute 25% of their health insurance costs in 2003
- Romney proposed to revolutionize the Massachusetts state pension system by moving it to a defined contribution system in 2003
- Romney pushed to revamp the Pacheco Law, a union-backed measure that makes it nearly impossible to privatize state services in 2003
- Romney called for the privatization of the University of Massachusetts medical school in 2003
- Romney proposed measures to eliminate civil service protection for all municipal workers except police and firefighters and exempt low-cost public construction jobs from the state’s wage law in 2003
- Romney proposed easing pricing regulations on Massachusetts retailers in 2003
- Romney Vetoed A Provision That Would Have Renewed A Prescription Drug Tax in 2003
- Romney proposed easing decades-old state regulations on wetlands in 2004
- Romney Vetoed Retroactive Pay Increases For State Employees in 2004
- Romney proposed cutting the state’s income-tax rate from 5.3% to 5.0% in 2004, 2005 and 2006
- Romney succeeded in passing a bill preventing the capital gains tax from being applied retroactively in 2005
- Romney signed legislation that provided property tax relief to seniors in 2005
- Romney signed legislation establishing a two-day tax-free shopping holiday in 2005
- Romney fought for welfare legislation increasing the number of hours each week recipients must work and establishing a five-year limit for receiving benefits in 2005
- Romney aggressively pushed to deregulate Massachusetts’ “Soviet-style” auto insurance industry in 2005
- Romney Vetoed a bill limiting the ability of out-of-state wineries to ship directly to Massachusetts consumers, calling the legislation “anti-consumer” in 2005
- Romney used his emergency fiscal powers to make $425 million worth of cuts in 2006
- Romney Vetoed the employer mandate that requires businesses with 11 or more full-time employees to provide health insurance in 2006
- Romney Vetoed an increase in the minimum wage from $6.75 to $8.00 in 2006
- Romney Signed a bill streamlining the state’s cumbersome permitting process for new businesses in 2006
- Romney Line-Item Vetoed $100,000 For A Gazebo On Sunset Lake In Braintree in 2006
- Romney Vetoed $150,000 For The University Of Massachusetts To Study The Winter Moth in 2006
- Romney Vetoed $4 Million To Research The Efficiency Of The Internal Combustion Engine in 2006
- Romney has ruled out the option of raising Social Security taxes, embraced the idea of reducing the growth rate of future benefits, and supports personal accounts in 2007

Romney Economic Stimulus Plan:

- Permanently Reduce The Lowest Income Tax Bracket to 7.5%
- Permanently Eliminate Payroll Taxes On Employees Over The Age of 65
- Make Middle-Class Savings Tax Free
- Institute Immediate 100% Expensing Of New Equipment Purchased By A Business
- Reduce The Corporate Tax Rate To 20% Over Two Years
- Make The Bush Tax Cuts Permanent
- Roll Back Tax Rates For All Americans
- Kill The Death Tax
- Make The Research And Development Tax Credit Permanent
- Oppose Any Increase In Social Security Taxes
- Prevent The Alternative Minimum Tax (AMT) From Hurting More American Families

Poptech on July 22, 2008 at 7:31 PM

On topic: Novak is a gossip monger, see “Valerie Plame”

Brat on July 22, 2008 at 5:15 PM

Of course Novak is a gossip monger. He’s the successor to Jack Anderson, who was the successor to Drew Pearson, who was the successor to Walter Winchell. That’s why he’s always fun to read. Drudge would have been the next one, but Drudge doesn’t write anything.

MrLynn on July 22, 2008 at 7:32 PM

Geez, what’s with the Novak bashing? Weird.

DaveS on July 22, 2008 at 7:32 PM

I’m sorry. Did I bash Bob Novack? Hang on, let me find two fifths of a **** to give.

The Race Card on July 22, 2008 at 7:40 PM

Like I said… weird.

DaveS on July 22, 2008 at 8:02 PM

Obama would prefer Romney. Palin makes them quake in their boots.

myamphibian on July 22, 2008 at 8:07 PM

DaveS, let’s put it like this. With the sucker punch that Novak gave the Bush White House (Libby convicted…of being ignorant?, Cheney’s name dragged through the mud, Bush’s name ditto, and Powell standing by and laughing while the real criminal, Armitage, gets away with the REAL crime), why should there be any trust given?

Did he NOT know that he would start a shit storm? Is Novak really that stupid?

john1schn on July 22, 2008 at 8:17 PM

Obama would prefer Romney. Palin makes them quake in their boots.

myamphibian on July 22, 2008 at 8:07 PM

She makes a lot of people quake in their boots.

john1schn on July 22, 2008 at 8:18 PM

She is also from Alaska. Far away. No one talks about Hawaii either.

Terrye on July 22, 2008 at 6:49 PM

Alaska has appeared quite a bit in the news lately. Oil. ANWAR. Drilling. Hello?!?

newton on July 22, 2008 at 8:34 PM

Speaking of Anwar, (they don’t like it cause it has war in it’s name) people all are save the Caribou. Has anyone brought up that Alaskans hunt, eat, and like almost every non-ethnic (Chinese, Korean, Mexican, etc) restaurant serves Caribou?

- The Cat

MirCat on July 22, 2008 at 8:47 PM

john1schn on July 22, 2008 at 8:17 PM

DaveS, let’s put it like this. With the sucker punch that Novak gave the Bush White House ([a big list of things Novak did not do]) … why should there be any trust given?

See what I mean?

You guys have an inexplicable psychological condition, here. Novak? WTF?

DaveS on July 22, 2008 at 9:15 PM

Picking a Veep that attends the funerals of international dignitaries and sits as a member of the President’s cabinet has far greater responsibilities than those Mark Twain once ascribed to the office… Think “Big Dick”…!

“… a man with two sons: One went to sea, the other became vice president, and neither was heard of again.

Nevertheless; that thought in mind. I have a question for our very own erstwhile and faithful correspondent on the ground in “The Land of the Midnight Sun”?

upinak…

What are the best chances for… senior Senator Ted Stevens who has been ahead of his most likely November challenger, Anchorage Mayor Mark Begich earlier, now appears to be down by almost double digits?

Eyes and ears on the ground matter!

What’s your take, upinak?

The compliment of the next United States Senate will play a role significantly more important to the future direction of our great Republic, than any Vice President worth a “bucket of spit”?

J_Gocht on July 22, 2008 at 11:18 PM

Palin makes ME quake in my boots.

rtsidedragon on July 23, 2008 at 2:14 AM

TheSitRep: I may have been suckered by the Media on the McCain Presidential bid.

TheSitRep on July 23, 2008 at 8:18 AM